PDA

View Full Version : General KO quality

Melike
4th December 2013, 10:28 AM
Hey guys,
I just bought some g1 reissues from a guy and they look awesome.
Thing is he also has a bunch of KO's for sale which im very tempted by (he's stated they're KO's, i cant tell from the boxes)...but being boxed theres no way to tell the quality of the actual toy.

My question is whats the general KO quality like with Transformers or is that just a ridiculous question and its just too hard to say. Im going to want to take them out of the box and play with em so the figure quality is important to me. I can probably buy the same toys loose for around the same price but y'know, boxed, new and shiny looking.

Any advice?

kup
4th December 2013, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,
Thing is he also has a bunch of KO's for sale which im very tempted by (he's stated they're KO's, i cant tell from the boxes)...but being boxed theres no way to tell the quality of the actual toy.

My question is whats the general KO quality like with Transformers or is that just a ridiculous question and its just too hard to say. Im going to want to take them out of the box and play with em so the figure quality is important to me. I can probably buy the same toys loose for around the same price but y'know, boxed, new and shiny looking.

Any advice?

Just curious. What "reissues" did you buy?

Personally speaking, I would recommend against buying KOs regardless of quality.

WeallscreamforStarscream
4th December 2013, 10:40 AM
i picked up buzzsaw and frenzy for $30 and were KO's. then i bought Soundwave with all the cassettes.. comparing the two there was BARELY any difference. Colour was one thing and one of the guns didnt fit properly on Frenzys back.

Thats it. Fraction of the price and for little guys like that i dont think it would matter. But i would be hesitant to buy bigger KO's. i want them to be perfect!

Skullcruncher
4th December 2013, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

Any advice?

Depends which ones they are, some have misaligned joints that although transform fine, they don't quite sit right like the originals, after several transformations they can be a bit wonky. The originals have come down in price so much some KO's actually cost more.

I wouldn't be tempted to lick them or let them near children play with them either - some are suspected to contain lead paint.

Melike
4th December 2013, 10:49 AM
Hmmn..yeah.
I mean, the boxes look great - but Im not interested in keeping them in their boxes and its just too much of a random shot in the dark otherwise.

As for what I got I grabbed;
Skywarp
Hot Rod
Skids
Jazz

Why the ""?'s
Im guesisng they're legitimate since he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Skullcruncher
4th December 2013, 10:56 AM
Those four havn't been KO'd so would be official reissues.

Im guesisng they're legitimate since he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Theres a guy at a local market, he sells authentic Turkish rugs and appears to know what hes taking about. What he really does it get rugs in from china, ages them in the sun and dirt then sells them as authentic. He disappears for a while when people are onto him then then once the dust has settled is back at the market.

Melike
4th December 2013, 11:00 AM
Oh I know there are shady people around. Part of being shady is looking legitimate and being convincing. I guess I just trust that since hes openly selling a bunch of KO's that he's being truthful. Plus he seemed like a good dude ;)

So are KO's generally frowned upon then? From hanging around TFW they seem to not have a larger issue with them. I think I was just swayed by the thought of owning a shockwave and the 5 dinobots but I couldnt pull the trigger...

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2013, 11:00 AM
Any advice?
Avoid at all costs. Consider reporting the seller because it is illegal to sell counterfeit goods.

i picked up buzzsaw and frenzy for $30 and were KO's.
Demand a refund/exchange and report the seller.

Scumbag KO sellers. :mad: Must resist... urge to... [censored]

kup
4th December 2013, 11:18 AM
Oh I know there are shady people around. Part of being shady is looking legitimate and being convincing. I guess I just trust that since hes openly selling a bunch of KO's that he's being truthful. Plus he seemed like a good dude ;)

So are KO's generally frowned upon then? From hanging around TFW they seem to not have a larger issue with them. I think I was just swayed by the thought of owning a shockwave and the 5 dinobots but I couldnt pull the trigger...

Generally speaking, we do frown on KOs here. However everyone will agree that it is your call as an individual if you wish to collect them or not.

Ah, TFW..that place can be a source of amusement in the same way that Jerry Springer can be..

Melike
4th December 2013, 11:21 AM
Oh this guy isnt like that though. He used to collect MIB's for display. He's selling all of his transformers now to just focus on masterpieces. Half of these (I'm guessing) he got without knowing they were KO's and identified them as KO's himself.
Its not like he's this other seller on ebay who's selling "reissue" dinobots by the tonload..

Melike
4th December 2013, 11:22 AM
Generally speaking, we do frown on KOs here. However everyone will agree that it is your call as an individual if you wish to collect them or not.

Ah, TFW..that place can be a source of amusement in the same way that Jerry Springer can be..

Cool with me. I'm not big on the idea of them myself..i just got entranced by the new shinyness.

griffin
4th December 2013, 11:39 AM
(topic moved to appropriate section)

They are frowned upon, as they often end up being used to fool people into thinking they are the real thing. If the toy and packaging had some obvious identifier on them (like colour difference or branding), I think most fans would be okay that it allows people to get (experience) moulds that are financially out of reach, but still allows those who can afford the real thing, not fear the prospect of being cheated by a fake (particularly when buying online, or even in person if they are not aware it is a fake).

Avoid at all costs. Consider reporting the seller because it is illegal to sell counterfeit goods.

Demand a refund/exchange and report the seller.

Scumbag KO sellers. :mad: Must resist... urge to... [censored]

I got the impression that he was either okay with it, or was buying it knowing it was a (cheaper) fake. If that's true, that's their choice, and we can't judge people on their reasons, as long as they don't try to later pass it off as the real thing to someone else. Most of us have had a fake at some point in time, either as a stand-in for the real thing, or given as a gift as children.

Exactly. It's your hobby, and your budget. As long as you don't do anything illegal (by fraudulently try to sell a fake as the real thing), you are free to do (or buy) whatever you want.

Just be aware that this site doesn't allow for promoting or selling of fakes... for the reasons above (this site aims to protect people who are less informed and more likely to be cheated through limited awareness).

Melike
4th December 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.
And ah...theres actually a sub-forum for this sort of thing. <cough> whoops. Sorry :)

UltraMarginal
4th December 2013, 01:49 PM
I bought a fake Computron on eBay once, unknowingly. It was OK, I was happy to experience the mold as I'd never seen it in real life but the quality of the parts was dissapointing, a lot of mold flash and the plastic was of an inferior quality to other toys from the line around that time. Transformation and combining is a bit janky as a result.

I have since decided that I don't really like it and if the opportunity to get a legit computron came up at a reasonable price I'd certainly think about it.

The same thing happened with a G1 Devastator but it was undersized and when I questioned the seller I got a partial refund. It had similar problems and I recently bought the Animated face G1 reissue and I am very happy with that.

Like has been said it's generally frowned upon due to the potential for someone to be fooled into thinking its the real deal but if you purchase knowingly so you can experience a mold for yourself then it's your money.
I am unaware of a KO G1 toy that matches the original in quality, so you are likely to be a little dissapointed by that factory when if you purchase the real deal, probably not, except for any developed play wear over time.

It is this sort of discussion that highlights how much potential there is for further developement of Generation 1 reissues. I wonder who's next. perhaps the aerial bots or maybe the protectobots. ..

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2013, 03:44 PM
It is this sort of discussion that highlights how much potential there is for further developement of Generation 1 reissues. I wonder who's next. perhaps the aerial bots or maybe the protectobots. ..
Yeah, I sometimes buy reissues of toys that I already have the G1 toy as a show of support to TakaraTOMY and hopefully encouraging them to reissue more. :) I bought Encore Metroplex, Bruticus, Devastator and Fortress Maximus even though I already had the G1 versions of all of them. I'll never buy a reissue though. They belong under the incoming wheels of my car ( I seriously would consider running over a high end G1 KO if someone gave me one -- I've previously used KO G1 Transformers as decorations in animal habitats; seeing KO G1 Constructicons getting urinated on and chewed by mice was funny :p). ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Laser%20Magnus%20Photocomic/photocomic_lasermagnus15.jpg
^Not a digital effect - that KO G1 Micromaster was actually sitting inside that fish tank! (the Downshift toys were just placed behind the fish tank to create the illusion that they were inside :p) :D

WeallscreamforStarscream
4th December 2013, 03:51 PM
Just to clear my end up... i bought them no knowing they were KO's... Then i discovered after reading and chatting to the guys here that they are KO's.

But again after playing with them they weren't bad. DONT SUPPORT PIRATES!!!:mad:

reillyd
4th December 2013, 06:46 PM
Some are awesome and some are just craptacularly bad, depending on who made them. I thought that joints would be at least as tight as well worn toys,but some of the dino cassettes are worse. My dino bots seem perfect

theshape
5th December 2013, 10:39 AM
KO Red Alert is a good buy for $40 vs $120+ *Dont hate me* :o

Omega Metro
5th December 2013, 05:43 PM
KO Red Alert is a good buy for $40 vs $120+ *Dont hate me* :o

I don't hate you. :) It's probably better quality than the Takara Tomy version. I'd like a KO Lambor. I sold the 'real' one due to its very poor quality paintwork and panel gaps.

drifand
6th December 2013, 01:32 PM
I thought the KO red alert wasn't great as compared to the Tiger tracks and sideswipe.