PDA

View Full Version : (DEC-2013) Movie Era Comics - Reviews and Favourites

griffin
25th December 2013, 12:20 PM
December is Movies & Miscellaneous month, so you can either comment on the Movies or some other series that impressed you that wasn't featured as one of the Monthly themes.

Details of the Live Action Movies can be found here (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Live-action_film_series).

If you have any of these comics, have a refresher read and tell us a bit about them.

Are they worth buying (do you recommend them), and what do you think is good or bad about them.

How do they compare to previous eras of Transformers comics?

BigTransformerTrev
26th December 2013, 06:26 PM
Are they worth buying (do you recommend them), and what do you think is good or bad about them.

Movie Comics: Got pretty much all of them, out of sheer bloody-mindedness as anything else.
Misc Comics: Got all the Dreamwave, IDW & Botcon ones, bar the odd issue here or there.

How do they compare to previous eras of Transformers comics?

*The movie ones were all fairly lackluster. I did like 'The Reign of Starscream' ones, and some of the ROTF ones which featured Soundwave were pretty cool.
*Dreamwave was great, but IDW has managed to surpass them. Right now I think we are getting the best TF comics there have ever been! Can't rate highly enough! :D Anyone who isn't reading MTMTE needs to get off the rumps and hightail it to their nearest comic purveyor! :)

i_amtrunks
26th December 2013, 10:53 PM
I started reading and collecting all the movie tie in comics, John Barber did a very good job with the earlier comics, making the awful RotF stuff more coherent.

The first two movie comics were good at showing you what the original stories were going to be, and both adaptations were far more sensible than the eventual movies themselves. Some of the tie in ones were okay too, reign of Starscream was decent.

I gave up after how bad RotF the movie was and after realising I hated the aesthetic of the designs and the human focus that later sector seven comics took, where there was barely any robots and nothing interesting going on.

I believe that the tie in comics continued to fix errors made in DotM but I couldn't care less.

If you find a collection of the UK Movie magazine comics, steer clear, they were terrible.

griffin
27th December 2013, 01:24 AM
I was very impressed at how Barber was able to explain a lot of the movie plot holes, in the various comics... but was disappointed that they gave up after the third one, with no more movie comics (which were often including all those "Movie" toys not IN the movies, so was the only real characterisation we got for them).

Autocon
27th December 2013, 06:25 PM
Don't need to collect and read the movie comics. The art work is crap. It may expand on what the movies neglected to show. I stopped collecting at DOTM. I only collected the comics to give a sneak peek at what may come in the movies. One series expands on Jetfire before they found him in the museum, which may interest some.