PDA

View Full Version : New designer for 2014 MP line

MayzaPrime
31st December 2013, 02:05 PM
Some interesting Masterpiece news, Hironori Kobayashi will be taking over the reins from Shogo Hasui, who brought us the Masterpiece series releases from MP11 Starscream version 2 through to the recently released MP19 Smokescreen.

Check out the article
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/new-designer-for-2014-masterpiece-series-transformers-178998/

kup
31st December 2013, 03:25 PM
That's a little worrying as the latest MPs have been great. Clearly made by someone who cares about quality and collector satisfaction. I just hope we don't get a corporate yes man who will give us cost cutted toys at premium prices.

Ploughmans Lunch
31st December 2013, 04:35 PM
They're basically going to be the same so I wouldn't worry.

griffin
31st December 2013, 04:44 PM
Just as long as it doesn't mean that Ultra Magnus ends up just being MP10 Optimus with a cardboard trailer.

kaiden
31st December 2013, 04:51 PM
i thought shogo hasui was the designer for mp-10 onwards..?

i think of the first 9 MPs - I only liked Optimus and Grimlock. hated the face on the seeker mold and issues with hips/feet. Megatron was just too skinny/hollow looking and Rodimus was a complete mess trying to be 2 persons sacrificing a lot to achieve it.

honestly im not impressed.

MayzaPrime
31st December 2013, 05:03 PM
I'm still hopeful :rolleyes:

I hope that they have learnt from previous mistakes and the line continues in the same direction.

I have MP BB and WJ on pre-order I would assume that these would have already been designed and in the works, hopefully Ultra Magnus will be in the same boat.

I totally agree Griffin I can't do another cardboard trailer

Trent
31st December 2013, 05:44 PM
They're basically going to be the same so I wouldn't worry.

This is the guy that designed MP Megs and and Rodimus. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned.

Ploughmans Lunch
31st December 2013, 07:44 PM
This is the guy that designed MP Megs and and Rodimus. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned.

I dunno, I'm willing to give people benefit of the doubt. Megs was like, what, 2006? I don't think Rodimus was too well received either, so I figure he probably learned from his mistakes.

DELTAprime
31st December 2013, 09:20 PM
I guess this will make the MP-10 haters happy they have MP-01/04's designer back. MP-11 is basically Kobayashi's design. The early version of MP-03 looked like MP-11 then that other guy got a hold of it and made it into the green crap it was.

I hope this doesn't mean we will be going back to one MP a year cause it's been great to have them making so many unique MP molds.

Hursticon
31st December 2013, 09:39 PM

Admittedly, I'm a little concerned myself too - I'm sure we'll get awesome figures regardless but I'd definitely like to hear why Hasui has been taken away from Masterpiece Development. :o

I guess this will make the MP-10 haters happy they have MP-01/04's designer back.

Really? - This is a thing? :confused::rolleyes:

Sinnertwin
31st December 2013, 09:57 PM

Totally :rolleyes: :p

I doubt that with Kobayashi returning we'll see larger scale MP01 sized figures with die cast etc. Changing a winning formula by returning to square one doesn't make sense to me.

theshape
31st December 2013, 10:00 PM
As long as the figures are in the same scale i dont care. I dont want a line reboot or anything

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2013, 10:22 PM
To be fair, MP Megatron and Rodimus were more challenging designs compared to most other MPs. With Megatron you're taking what is a streamlined/thin looking Walther P38 pistol and attempting to bulk it up as a robot and make it look like the cartoon. The original G1 toy transforms into a relatively skinny robot. It's not an easy feat. The challenge with Hot Rod is that the cartoon model has him transform into a robot with rounded legs and somehow the leg kibble (that can be seen on the original G1 toy) has somehow completely disappeared into thin air. That's a good portion of the rear part of the car mode. And on top of that, the rear of the vehicle has details which the original toy never had. So it's a more detailed vehicle that transforms into a less kibbled robot. Toy designers don't have the luxury of being able to defy reality, so obviously all those parts have to go somewhere in robot mode. This design challenge was arguably then compounded by making the toy be able to transform to Rodimus Prime in robot and vehicle mode. Now as expensive as that toy already was, there's a fair chance that a good portion of the development budget went into the trailer, somewhat similar to how MP10's cab robot is far less sophisticated than MP01's as a sort of "trade off" for having a trailer, Roller etc. Yes, MP10 does pull it off a lot better, but that toy came later so they would've had the luxury of reflecting on their mistakes w/ Rodimus. Also, Optimus Prime isn't quite as much of a reality cheat as Rodimus.

Personally as long as we don't see anything as atrocious as what we saw on the MP Lambo's shoulders, I'll be pretty happy if things continued to develop as they have been, although I do wish that they would lower the prices on these toys.

Trent
31st December 2013, 10:27 PM
Admittedly, I'm a little concerned myself too - I'm sure we'll get awesome figures regardless but I'd definitely like to hear why Hasui has been taken away from Masterpiece Development. :o

How do we know he was taken away? He might have wanted to move on for all we know. Besides, I'll save my judgement until we see the first new MP which probably won't be for a while. I'd say that as Mayza said most of the design work for Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus is already complete

It's a size thing. There are people that think every MP should scale with MP-01 :rolleyes:

Hursticon
31st December 2013, 10:33 PM
How do we know he was taken away? He might have wanted to move on for all we know. Besides, I'll save my judgement until we see the first new MP which probably won't be for a while. I'd say that as Mayza said most of the design work for Wheeljack, Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus is already complete

It was just a turn of phrase; basically I'd just like to know why he's no longer performing that job. ;):)

It's a size thing. There are people that think every MP should scale with MP-01 :rolleyes:

Much like the whole "Wingblade"-thing, the TF fandom is really starting to show some ugly faces in certain areas. :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2013, 10:35 PM
I don't object to MPs getting smaller... what I don't enjoy is seeing the prices getting higher at the same time! Bad enough that Deluxes and Voyagers are getting smaller, but prices are remaining the same (so we're paying the same for less), but in the case of MPs we're paying more for less. :( Hasbro and Hasbro Australia have been really good with their pricing of the new MPs though I must say. Kudos to them. :)

kurdt_the_goat
31st December 2013, 11:43 PM
Personally as long as we don't see anything as atrocious as what we saw on the MP Lambo's shoulders.

Perhaps it was the constant condemnation of the shoulders that caused Hasui to step aside?

kaiden
31st December 2013, 11:55 PM
Perhaps it was the constant condemnation of the shoulders that caused Hasui to step aside?

haha probably

Hursticon
1st January 2014, 01:02 AM

haha probably

:p:D

Ploughmans Lunch
1st January 2014, 01:19 AM
I don't object to MPs getting smaller... what I don't enjoy is seeing the prices getting higher at the same time! Bad enough that Deluxes and Voyagers are getting smaller, but prices are remaining the same (so we're paying the same for less), but in the case of MPs we're paying more for less. :( Hasbro and Hasbro Australia have been really good with their pricing of the new MPs though I must say. Kudos to them. :)

I dunno, like anything I'd just blame the GFC.

GoktimusPrime
1st January 2014, 08:33 AM
Haha, yeah, it totally broke him. Michael Bay on the other hand... :p

I dunno, like anything I'd just blame the GFC.
But consider the following:
+ The price of MPs released following the GFC didn't see an increase. The significant "less for more" increase started with MP10.
+ Hasbro AU's prices for their versions of the new MP moulds are much cheaper than TakTOM's.
+ Prices of other Transformers series (except Super GT) have remained relatively stable. e.g. the cost of a Deluxe and Voyager Class Transformers still cost more or less the same today as it did before the GFC. The cost of a Deluxe Transformer or G1 reissue in Japan hasn't changed much.

DELTAprime
1st January 2014, 03:24 PM
Haha, yeah, it totally broke him. Michael Bay on the other hand... :p

But consider the following:
+ The price of MPs released following the GFC didn't see an increase. The significant "less for more" increase started with MP10.
+ Hasbro AU's prices for their versions of the new MP moulds are much cheaper than TakTOM's.
+ Prices of other Transformers series (except Super GT) have remained relatively stable. e.g. the cost of a Deluxe and Voyager Class Transformers still cost more or less the same today as it did before the GFC. The cost of a Deluxe Transformer or G1 reissue in Japan hasn't changed much.

Don't forget that Deluxe and Voyager molds have had their engineering changed over the last several years to keep the price down. Hasbro has said it can't use the old molds (pre 2011 I think) anymore cause of cost. I bet if they didn't dumb down the Deluxes and Voyagers they would have gone up in price. Excluding MP-05 and 09 the engineering on MP's still seems fairly similar to what it always has been.

And don't forget Hasbro doesn't have to pay for the development of the mold, but Takara does.

Lord_Zed
1st January 2014, 06:50 PM
A little concerned, despite the cost MP's have been the ray of sunshine in the cloudy Hasbro sky for me. While it's nice that Hasbro are continuing the Generations line, most of the toys released this year have been subject to such cost cutting that they have felt much like KO's, or lesser toys. The MP's however have still retained some of the quality and ingenuity that really appeals to me as an adult collector.

If the MP's start following similar cost cutting to the basic lines then Hasbro may as well hand over the adult collector market to the third parties.

MayzaPrime
1st January 2014, 06:59 PM
A little concerned, despite the cost MP's have been the ray of sunshine in the cloudy Hasbro sky for me. While it's nice that Hasbro are continuing the Generations line, most of the toys released this year have been subject to such cost cutting that they have felt much like KO's, or lesser toys. The MP's however have still retained some of the quality and ingenuity that really appeals to me as an adult collector.

If the MP's start following similar cost cutting to the basic lines then Hasbro may as well hand over the adult collector market to the third parties.

MP is produced by Takara so not subject to Hasbro's cost cutting

If anything Hasbro would want to keep re-branding MPs as Takara is doing all of the design Hasbro would have minimal overhead

Trent
1st January 2014, 09:51 PM
An interesting tidbit thrown over at TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/969418-2014-mp-figures-designed-hironori-kobayashi-7.html#post10448991) says that Kobayashi is taking over so Hasui can move onto the TF4 movie toy designs.

Make of it what you will.

Hursticon
1st January 2014, 10:00 PM
An interesting tidbit thrown over at TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/969418-2014-mp-figures-designed-hironori-kobayashi-7.html#post10448991) says that Kobayashi is taking over so Hasui can move onto the TF4 movie toy designs.

Sounds rather plausible actually.

kaiden
1st January 2014, 10:11 PM

i remember the transformers facebook page showing a photo of that voyager optimus from TF4 and asking what people thought and the answer was pretty much that it looked like shit.

hoepfully that wasnt hasui's design :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st January 2014, 11:09 PM
i remember the transformers facebook page showing a photo of that voyager optimus from TF4 and asking what people thought and the answer was pretty much that it looked like shit.

hoepfully that wasnt hasui's design :p

Maybe it was Kobayashi's :D

liegeprime
2nd January 2014, 01:08 AM
Maybe it was Kobayashi's :D

So does that mean that the MP line now will suffer and become "looks like shit" toys :(? MP line has more promise now that they have at least a direction on which toys they are producing and not just a rehash over and over of Prime....I do hope for the line continued success. Otherwise we might end up having our fix relied more on 3rd party comps , what with them able to produce the likes of Quakewave....

kup
2nd January 2014, 09:53 AM

What a waste of talent.

Totally :rolleyes: :p

I doubt that with Kobayashi returning we'll see larger scale MP01 sized figures with die cast etc. Changing a winning formula by returning to square one doesn't make sense to me.

It now seems that the corporate suits want to once again emphasise on the immediate gains of focusing on the movie line. That sucks as we are repeating the cycle again on enduring popular toys being supplanted by shelf warming movie crap that only serve to pee off retailers in the medium to long run.

Rodimus was a shocker. If MP toys go back to that level of quality, that's it for me as I quit the line. They would have driven me exclusively to the 3rd parties for quality MP level toys.

Deonasis
2nd January 2014, 10:54 AM
H designed 10 to 21ish. It is believed there are other MPs in degrees of computer designs waiting to be greenlit. So anything created mostly by K may not be until 2015 if he begins a new MP at all.

Of K designed MPs, i only really like his unaltered MP03 (MP08 less so).

I worry about returning to the overly-ambitious MPs of K. And from what I have heard, the relatively new Alternity line (that K designed) still had that ambitious, complex streak that compromises figures. Maybe K doesn't know when to say "No" to feature requests?

DELTAprime
2nd January 2014, 11:13 AM
I worry about returning to the overly-ambitious MPs of K. And from what I have heard, the relatively new Alternity line (that K designed) still had that ambitious, complex streak that compromises figures. Maybe K doesn't know when to say "No" to feature requests?

The new Alternity toys are just remoulds of the 2009 design. I wouldn't use them as an indicator of his current work.

doublespy
2nd January 2014, 12:57 PM
The new movie design should have been well completed now so it's not this.

Original (http://pic1.actoys.net/attachment/Mon_1312/99_219354_cb8bc3009aefe04.jpg?464) scan (http://pic1.actoys.net/attachment/Mon_1312/99_219354_73ff52d89e1868a.jpg?499)

The change seems to be a routine rotation within the design department. Understandable from an HR point of view....but it baffles me as a collector.

I have mixed feelings about the change. Kobayashi is a hellva designer but I just really like what Hasui has done to the new MP line. And I was really looking forward to Hasui tackling real challenges like Megs 2.0. Now he won't have the chance to prove that he can design more than "just G1 transformation made fancier".

I hope Kobayashi doesn't over-complicate the designs and have better attention to details this time around.

Eazy D
2nd January 2014, 08:48 PM
I agree with the general trend that MP-1 to MP-9 bar Grimlock suffered from over-ambitiousness. Megs and Rodimus were over-engineered and ended up being too fiddly with resultant QC issues. Hasui seems to have gotten the balance right between cartoon robot mode accuracy and GI vehicle mode accuracy while not over-complicating the toy.

I would have liked to see Hasui have a go at Megs 2.0 but at the end of the day the MP I wish for the most is Galvatron and I dont care who does that!

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd January 2014, 10:02 PM
What a waste of talent.There are times - not many, but a few - when I wish Ozformers had a 'Like' option.
This is one of them.
The change seems to be a routine rotation within the design department. Understandable from an HR point of view....but it baffles me as a collector.Japan tends to do the rotation thing quite a bit. Sometimes it works out great, other times...not so much.