Paulbot
25th December 2013, 08:16 AM
Location and dates for BotCon 2014 revealed:

Pasadena, California
19 to 22 June
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2014/

griffin
25th December 2013, 12:08 PM
(Posts moved from the rumour topic here, (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=16843) which had fans work out the location and dates several months ago)

Well that was the worst kept secret ever. And no surprise, the link to reservations says it is already booked out for the entire week. I might see if any individual days still free. Time to look for other options.

I was really hoping it was a red herring too, so that we got somewhere new, even in LA.
It should mean another tour to IDW next year, but is likely to be a full day trip to make up for the drive to San Diego.

griffin
25th December 2013, 12:40 PM
Looks like every date of the discounted rate is sold out. And according to someone on TFW, they only had about 6 rooms at about 2 hours BEFORE Paulbot's posting... and sold out soon after that.

Aside from the complaining of the delay (hotel was obviously locked in some time ago), and another year on the west side of America, there is the usual speculation of what the set & theme will be... with most thinking that it will be a Shattered Glass Beast Wars set, as we'll have a few Beast toys out by then (Waspinator, Rhinox, with Cheetor & Dinobot).

UltraMarginal
25th December 2013, 10:57 PM
As nice as beast wars is, a beast wars set will dampen my enthusiasm significantly. Hopefully the set reveals come thick and fast.

KaRNiV8L PRiME
26th December 2013, 04:59 PM
As nice as beast wars is, a beast wars set will dampen my enthusiasm significantly. Hopefully the set reveals come thick and fast.

From Botcon Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/BotCon)

This years set theme is Shattered Glass Machine Wars featuring Wheelie! He's a crocodile...

U gotta be shitting me?

MayzaPrime
26th December 2013, 06:36 PM

They have to be taking the pi$$...

Like they did with Clench repainted from Octane/Tankor mold

Paulbot
26th December 2013, 07:14 PM
I think it's a joke

But... Beast Hunters Knock Out in Sharkticon colours as SG Wheelie... It kinda works.

Golden Phoenix
26th December 2013, 07:26 PM
I think it's a joke

But... Beast Hunters Knock Out in Sharkticon colours as SG Wheelie... It kinda works.

I'd assume so too.

That being said.....C'mon more Animated! Papa would loves him some more Animated figures!

CHILENO20
26th December 2013, 09:49 PM
Anything SG related im in, though beast wars would be a bit of a stretch. That being said it is proberly their most popular theme, why not run with it? Maybe FunPub is starting to listen to the fans. Wait, wait, wait! Did I just write that?????:confused::confused:

MayzaPrime
26th December 2013, 09:57 PM
Anything SG related im in, though beast wars would be a bit of a stretch. That being said it is proberly their most popular theme, why not run with it? Maybe FunPub is starting to listen to the fans. Wait, wait, wait! Did I just write that?????:confused::confused:

And given the new Beast Wars figures being released and the current TFCC story line it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I would love a Heroic Predacon Waspinator, as well as Evil Maximal Rhinox and Rattrap...

Ooh I wonder how they would write Dinobot... No loyalty, a coward, or a gun for hire and the Maximals just pay him more.

griffin
31st December 2013, 08:14 PM
It's not looking good for BotCon 2014 having some 30th Anniversary Voice Actor guests...

Since FunPub leave their booking and announcing of guests late, often after they promote and sell the toys of the boxsets, another American convention on that same weekend has already announced several Gen1 Voice Actors (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/transformers-cast-attending-texas-comicon-2014-178996/), including Peter Cullen (Optimus, Ironhide) Gregg Berger (Grimlock, Long Haul, Outback, Jetfire), Neil Ross (Bonecrusher, Hook, Springer, Slag), Alan Oppenheimer (Warpath, Beachcomber, Seaspray), and Michael Bell (Prowl, Sideswipe, Scrapper, Swoop).
(if they were all at the one BotCon, it would be one of the best ever for guests... leaving one to wonder why FunPub can never manage a good line up of vintage guests who are clearly still doing the convention circuits)

And an update on the Hotels (https://twitter.com/botcon/status/417734856206860288), FunPub claim that there are some days still free at the Sheraton (they weren't there when I looked the other day), and they will be announcing another block soon (probably at the Hilton a couple blocks away).
The three days they claim are still available are Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, so you'd have to be checking out Sunday morning, and check in Thursday (if you are doing any tours or classes on Wed & Thurs, you'd need to stay somewhere else for two nights).

griffin
31st December 2013, 08:21 PM
The Texas Con site says Peter Cullen is only there Saturday, so it leaves it open for him to be flown in and out of BotCon for a day or two.
But if FunPub had booked him first, he wouldn't be available at all to the Texas one.

This is going to seriously impact on BotCon's numbers, as many of the Vintage fans who have already lost faith in FunPub, will probably go to the Texas one.

UltraMarginal
31st December 2013, 08:21 PM
That info about the voice cast being at another con on the same weekend is very disappointing. Not a lot of forethought from fun pub.

griffin
31st December 2013, 08:31 PM
Why can other conventions, even fan-run ones, lock in locations and guests, a whole year in advance, and yet an official, "professional" convention wastes their resources on producing an excessive amount of toy products for several months before working out where the event will be or who will be their guests.

Focussing on material profiteering of toy products instead of producing a "convention experience"... it's their own fault, and then will play the victim as if it was the fault of the other convention for FunPub to miss out.

Paulbot
31st December 2013, 09:27 PM
This is going to seriously impact on BotCon's numbers, as many of the Vintage fans who have already lost faith in FunPub, will probably go to the Texas one.

I don't think I'll go to the Texas one, but seriously do Funpub have any faith left to lose? It's getting beyond ridiculous how many mistakes they make.

I was looking at flights to actually go but it feels like I shouldn't on principle!

UltraMarginal
31st December 2013, 10:17 PM
I'm going to Botcon for transformers and to meet other fans. Fun pubs involvement involvement is a side issue that I'm choosing to not let spoil my fun.

griffin
1st January 2014, 01:21 PM
It still spoils it a little, having in the back of your mind, what FunPub might do (or not do) to limit your full enjoyment after spending thousands to get all the way over to America to attend it.

Their track record isn't good, and it looks like they hit their peak a couple years ago... so it makes you wonder, how far they are going to let things slide before they make some serious changes to their blasé treatment of our fandom. They'd never reveal their numbers in recent years, but my own impression of crowd numbers, the last two were noticeably down... and if Pasadena (their last resort golden goose) doesn't have an improvement, it is not the location of recent years being the only reason for the downturn.

And now, as another nail in the FunPub coffin, TFCon (the *fan run* convention that was in Canada for the last few years) is coming to America this year (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/969530-tfcon-usa-announced-october-24th-26th-2014-chicago.html), and centrally located in Chicago.
If TFCon ever got Hasbro support, BotCon would be finished... but Hasbro won't support it while they promote and sell unlicensed (3rd party) toys.

For me, as a fan of BotCon, or what it used to be, it's actually been sad to read through the global fansite news topics... as the "Brand" is now so tarnished, there is hardly any enthusiasm or support for it like there used to be on those fansites.
People are looking out for the toys, but the event itself is not getting much interest.

KalEl
1st January 2014, 01:24 PM
uhhhh i arrive in the states on the 23rd....

griffin
4th January 2014, 12:43 AM
For people who get comics, next week has the release of the non-convention version of the BotCon 2013 comic (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/diamond-comics-shipping-list-for-january-8th-179009/)... which FunPub claims will have the theme of this year's convention noted in it somewhere.

Paul Agnew
7th January 2014, 08:39 AM
...Yo Ho Ho? (https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/420260929402458112)

KaRNiV8L PRiME
7th January 2014, 09:25 AM
Not sure

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdVGwgJCIAA9OdN.jpg

UltraMarginal
7th January 2014, 10:07 AM
People are looking out for the toys, but the event itself is not getting much interest.

And thats why Funpub spend so much of their resource on developing toys rather than making sure the convention is a cracker. it's a self perpetuating cycle.

In much the same way that Transformers itself was a show and comic created to sell toys, the main difference being that Hasbro have realised that you need to keep it fresh and the entertainment side of the marketing has to be good, ala Prime and Animated.

Not sure

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdVGwgJCIAA9OdN.jpg

Well, that's unexpected. perhaps they are picking up on the Pirate crew from the last Novel that might be interesting, only problem being that there's already a toy of the Captain at retail.

griffin
7th January 2014, 01:55 PM
It really makes you wonder if FunPub (run by GIJoe fans) really know what Transformers Fans are looking for, especially at a commemorative year.
As noted above, I think their need to produce 14-odd toys every year to raise revenue for their GIJoe club (and line their pockets), prevented them from producing a 1984 homage this year. If they weren't restricted by minimum product sales, we could have seen a couple toys and a story/theme that made for an overall party atmosphere (if they knew how to market to TFs fans).

So disappointed that they have just grabbed another random theme (space pirates), and run with it on the last commemorative year they will probably be hosting. (I don't see them being around for the 40th)

I couldn't hold it in any longer... I had to send a tweet to BotCon to query their loyalty to Transformers fans at a Transformers convention that should be celebrating 30 years, or at the least, the first year (1984).

KaRNiV8L PRiME
7th January 2014, 02:20 PM
It really makes you wonder if FunPub (run by GIJoe fans) really know what Transformers Fans are looking for, especially at a commemorative year.
As noted above, I think their need to produce 14-odd toys every year to raise revenue for their GIJoe club (and line their pockets), prevented them from producing a 1984 homage this year. If they weren't restricted by minimum product sales, we could have seen a couple toys and a story/theme that made for an overall party atmosphere (if they knew how to market to TFs fans).

So disappointed that they have just grabbed another random theme (space pirates), and run with it on the last commemorative year they will probably be hosting. (I don't see them being around for the 40th)

I couldn't hold it in any longer... I had to send a tweet to BotCon to query their loyalty to Transformers fans at a Transformers convention that should be celebrating 30 years, or at the least, the first year (1984).

Saw that mate. It will be my 1st Botcon and was looking for something more than space pirates to commemorate 30 yrs. hopefully TFcon will be better.

Paulbot
7th January 2014, 03:19 PM
I guess I wasn't expecting there to be a 30th theme to the toys so this is not a big surprise. But it does help me talk myself out of going, thinking that the anniversary won't really be reflected at BotCon (like it wasn't at the 25th one which I did attend).

The BW Seacons were space pirates weren't they? Maybe there'll be some BW Seacon homages in the mix.

griffin
7th January 2014, 03:31 PM
Was it too harsh? I didn't want to sound harsh... I wanted to be as objective as possible, to have them justify their reason for a pirate theme in the last anniversary year we'll get for another 10 years. (they probably wont even see it)
I mean, how many of us would imagine we'd still be around in Transformers in 10 years time?
And how many of us non-Americans NEED a significant reason to go to BotCon, or any TFs convention? If you had two fan conventions on this year, and one was featuring pirates, while the other was featuring the first year of Transformers that started it all 30 years ago, which would most spend the thousands on to get to?
FunPub are like the retailers - keeping it fresh every year, which fans don't like. We are creatures of habit, so when a good thing comes along, we stick to it until it wears out. We don't like things being axed at their peak (like Animated), we stick with series until it gets boring, and then we take a break from it, before coming back a few years later (like Gen1, with the reissues and Classicverse).
3H were Transformers Fans, so they understood that fans wanted successive BotCons to be chapters of a story arc... to build up momentum, and collect a set of figures over 3-4 years. Not be tapped out in a single year and then have to create a brand new theme, which requires starting from square one to get the fans supporting it. Each year with FunPub they hit the reset button, so they can't even ride on the coattails of their own success if they start from scratch each year with their theme and toys.
Transformers fans are too caught up in the imagination and fantasy to just drop a theme on a yearly basis and be able to embrace a new one. FunPub (run by GIJoe fans) don't seem to get that, or care if they do understand that.
Fans hate it when Retailers force Hasbro to "keep the line fresh" and changing styles or themes on a yearly basis, so if FunPub were run by Transformers Fans, they'd share that hatred... and wouldn't do it themselves.

Now that was a little harsher.... but still objective because I've been to enough BotCons to know it is true.

Paulbot
7th January 2014, 03:55 PM
Very true. If I thought BotCon this year was going to be a great celebration of the beginning of Transformers, I would be going.

But with so many of the voice actors tied up elsewhere, a pirate theme toy set, and a big new movie to promote, I can't see it being the case.

The 25th anniversary year barely mentioned it was the 25th year because ROTF was coming, and while I still enjoyed that BotCon I remember thinking afterwards what could have been... and I don't see any sign that 30th year will be the year they live up to it.

Golden Phoenix
7th January 2014, 03:56 PM
Maybe someone at Fanpub is a Super Sentai fan.

Super Sentai did a Pirate theme for their 30th aniversary. The pirate theme was mainly an excuse to have the rangers turn into the past rangers. Could just be copying that.

I suppose we just need to wait until we see the toys.....

UltraMarginal
7th January 2014, 04:00 PM

Yep, saw that too, I don't know if it was too harsh but it seems that Funpub aren't good at taking on any criticism, positive or otherwise without reacting to it negatively so I'd suggest treading litely or their next fubah will be your fault.:rolleyes:

UltraMarginal
7th January 2014, 04:05 PM
Pirates Vs. someone.

If set around the time of the Exodus from Cybertron could well relate to the Exodus novel there might be a tie in with G1 Characters, perhaps even relating to the Aligned Continuity.

I'm not going to get cranky about it yet, they did a cracker job with the 2011 box set, and I really didn't mind last years set at all, would have been happy with it if I'd attended.

I will wait and see there are certainly a whole lot of great molds from the last couple years for them to choose from.

if related to the Unicron Trilogy Pirates in any way I'll be pretty disspointed. I don't even know what they are about I just saw a Tweet calling them out.

griffin
7th January 2014, 04:15 PM
That's true - I gotta be careful with jumping to conclusions.
The Pirates could well be versus something good.

BUT... if it is Pirates versus something suitable for the 30th, like Gen1 (as in, it is the Aligned version of their first arrival on earth - between the novels and TFPrime), then why would FunPub promote the Pirates instead of the Gen1?
Either they aren't featuring Gen1 at all, or they are wasting the opportunity to use it to create hype in the fandom who could already be talking about how BotCon 2014 will be a Gen1 commemoration/celebration.

Paulbot
7th January 2014, 04:33 PM
if related to the Unicron Trilogy Pirates in any way I'll be pretty disspointed. I don't even know what they are about I just saw a Tweet calling them out.

The logo comes from Cannonball, a 'pirate' from the Cybertron line. That was about the extent of the Unicron Trilogy pirates though. The God Neptune Seacons were pirates in the Japanese Beast Era (and the US Cybershark hunted them). You could probably just get away with repainting BH Abomnibus as God Neptune...

MayzaPrime
7th January 2014, 05:24 PM
I have to ask of those going is anyone able to pick me up the convention exclusives... Pleaaaassseeee :p

reillyd
7th January 2014, 08:21 PM
If its pirate themed, I guess we'll see a Leo Prime/ Thundertron repaint then ith his peg-leg

Paul Agnew
7th January 2014, 09:45 PM
It's funny. One would think 2014 held a great opportunity for BotCon to go all-out with throwing a massive celebration to honour both its 20th anniversary, and that of the Transformers (whom turn 30, but I'd wager you already knew that). Or at least have a fantastic theme, such as taking older convention exclusives and updating them using modern figures. Or even pull another 'Invasion'-type scenario and have the Go-Bots wage a war with our favourite Robots In Disguise. Better yet, finish a hanging plot point (hello 'Machine Wars') before moving on.

But when you believe to have finally figured out exactly what they're going to do...

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/9192/nya0.jpg

kup
8th January 2014, 10:15 AM
The guy in charge of FunPub is clearly not a TF fan. THIS IS the 30th anniversary yet we get a concept that is rather populist such as Pirates. The reasoning for this is probably just because 'Pirates are cool and IN IT now'.

At least the theme may turn out to be cool but not too impressed by the first mould shown.

1AZRAEL1
8th January 2014, 10:31 AM
Pirates is only part of the theme. It's Pirates vs ?????? (?????? Meaning it hasn't been revealed yet)

What first mold?

UltraMarginal
8th January 2014, 11:05 AM
That's true - I gotta be careful with jumping to conclusions.
The Pirates could well be versus something good.

BUT... if it is Pirates versus something suitable for the 30th, like Gen1 (as in, it is the Aligned version of their first arrival on earth - between the novels and TFPrime), then why would FunPub promote the Pirates instead of the Gen1?
Either they aren't featuring Gen1 at all, or they are wasting the opportunity to use it to create hype in the fandom who could already be talking about how BotCon 2014 will be a Gen1 commemoration/celebration.

It's part of the FunPub hype Machine! they always save the best news till last, the anticipation of what they haven't told us yet is even more exciting than knowing what's going to happen!!:rolleyes: (that was my sarcastic voice)

The guy in charge of FunPub is clearly not a TF fan. THIS IS the 30th anniversary yet we get a concept that is rather populist such as Pirates. The reasoning for this is probably just because 'Pirates are cool and IN IT now'.

Pirates could be good if handled carefully, I totally gt your "populist" comment. realistically they are a few years behind the 8 ball with that though.

At least the theme may turn out to be cool but not too impressed by the first mould shown.
What mould? link please?

@ PaulAgnew, Nicely Done Sir. :D

llamatron
8th January 2014, 12:03 PM
This is a good theme idea even if we might not like the timing.

1) Pirate Transformers have been established in several continuities but rarely expanded upon - POTENTIAL!

2) Due to the rag-tag nature of a pirate crew (and stowaways) it allows FP to include a variety of homages and styles that fans can use outside of the "pirate" theme. Similar to how a lot of SG figures can be repurposed.

griffin
8th January 2014, 12:11 PM
I don't have anything against the theme, just the timing. Or at least, the failure to promote something... anything, that could link the theme back to this being a "30th Anniversary convention".
It just seems that FunPub are oblivious to any notion of what "anniversary" means, as each year is just a standard concept of "something new", or, how do we put together a story from the 13 toys Hasbro approved from the 40 we submitted.

kup
8th January 2014, 12:47 PM
Pirates could be good if handled carefully, I totally gt your "populist" comment. realistically they are a few years behind the 8 ball with that though.

Corporations (or those with corporate mentalities) are often not up to date when it comes to riding trends. By the time they release their imitation attempt, it's years after it was popular. Action Masters and perhaps Pretenders are an example of that trying to ride the successes of Mask and MOTU years after their peak.

What mould? link please?

Sorry, I thought Paul Agnew's pic was one of the toys. That mold has been previously used as an exclusive and Botcon seems to use the same molds often in their retools.

UltraMarginal
8th January 2014, 01:37 PM
It sounds crazy, but is there a chance that Hasbro told FunPub to stay away from the 30th anniversary so they could capitalise on the 30 for 30 Promotion that's going on. :confused:

kup
8th January 2014, 01:39 PM
It sounds crazy, but is there a chance that Hasbro told FunPub to stay away from the 30th anniversary so they could capitalise on the 30 for 30 Promotion that's going on. :confused:

Wouldn't surprise me actually but anything could be. Both seem as out of touch as the other.

griffin
8th January 2014, 02:15 PM

If that were true, what better way for FunPub to get some support or sympathy from the fandom, by simply saying that the 30th Anniversary was off limits. They probably can't emphasise the fact if they fear losing their license, but gee, if your hands are tied by someone else, don't keep it to yourself if you are already struggling to gain support from the fandom.

Besides, this is the "official" convention, supported and endorsed by Hasbro - if there was a promotion on this year by Hasbro, it is in Hasbro's best interests to include the Convention in its marketing strategy (like perhaps having the BotCon set being one of the 30 Anniversary toys). It would also be the entitlement of the only official convention for the brand to be a part of that marketing strategy.

UltraMarginal
8th January 2014, 02:32 PM
Besides, this is the "official" convention, supported and endorsed by Hasbro - if there was a promotion on this year by Hasbro, it is in Hasbro's best interests to include the Convention in its marketing strategy (like perhaps having the BotCon set being one of the 30 Anniversary toys). It would also be the entitlement of the only official convention for the brand to be a part of that marketing strategy.

Precisely why it sounds crazy

Paulbot
17th January 2014, 02:52 PM
So while the Transformers theme is Pirates, the GIJoe convention box set theme is Zombies...

:rolleyes:

Paul Agnew
30th January 2014, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately it's not Zombies. The theme for BotCon 2014 is... (http://www.transformersclub.com/)

UltraMarginal
30th January 2014, 12:32 PM
Interesting, Knights, I wonder if that will tie in with the existing IDW continuity in any way? they are doing an IDW character in the subscription service this year.

I'm still cautiously optimistic.

DELTAprime
30th January 2014, 12:41 PM
Interesting, Knights, I wonder if that will tie in with the existing IDW continuity in any way? they are doing an IDW character in the subscription service this year.

I'm still cautiously optimistic.

It's not IDW at all. FunPub has their own unique continuities.

griffin
30th January 2014, 01:10 PM
The botcon site (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2014/) has been updated with the Hilton discount rate link now.

It's US$139 plus tax (about $23.50)... plus $10 per night for internet.
Deposit of one night required. (I can't tell if it is refundable if you cancelled before a certain date though... so perhaps call up the hotel before you book if you aren't 100% sure of going but just want to lock in a room before they book out just in case)

UltraMarginal
30th January 2014, 01:23 PM
It's not IDW at all. FunPub has their own unique continuities.

they do but you can't deny there are some interesting theme similarities here.
they could get away with a parallel story pretty easily, I think.

Or a prequel story using similar/same characters tying into why the Knights left cybertron in the first place.

UltraMarginal
30th January 2014, 01:30 PM
The botcon site (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2014/) has been updated with the Hilton discount rate link now.

It's US$139 plus tax (about $23.50)... plus $10 per night for internet.
Deposit of one night required. (I can't tell if it is refundable if you cancelled before a certain date though... so perhaps call up the hotel before you book if you aren't 100% sure of going but just want to lock in a room before they book out just in case)

If the guestroom is cancelled 72 hours prior to check in, there is no cancellation fee and we will refund the deposit. If the guestroom is cancelled within 72 hours prior to check in, we will keep the one night deposit as the cancellation fee.

it looks like you can cancel with a full refund up until 3 days before check-in.

griffin
2nd February 2014, 04:19 PM
Looks like the entire set of toys this year are all Knights and Pirates (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/pete-sinclair-gives-more-insight-into-the-toys-for-botcon-2014/29293/)... nothing commemorative noted at all. :(

Five Knights, Five Pirates, a 3-pack of pirate troop builders, and a Decepticon who becomes a Pirate.
That's 14, which is the usual amount of BotCon toys (5 in the box, 1 attendee, 4 at-show, 3-pack, and a Custom Class figure).

Looks like a banner out the front of the Convention Centre, and on their website, saying it's the 30th Anniversary will pretty much be FunPub's acknowledgement of the milestone.

1AZRAEL1
2nd February 2014, 10:04 PM
Looks like a banner out the front of the Convention Centre, and on their website, saying it's the 30th Anniversary will pretty much be FunPub's acknowledgement of the milestone.

A complete waste of an opportunity. But not all too surprising from them either.

UltraMarginal
3rd February 2014, 10:36 AM
They might yet surprise us... maybe.

at least it looks like the set will be fairly coherant in theme.

griffin
8th February 2014, 01:07 AM
Something cryptic and organic from Funpub about this year's Pirate story (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/botcon-2014-who-is-squirm/29338/).

So the question is... Who is Squirm?

Every Captain needs a crew...

Also a drawing of.... something.

griffin
8th February 2014, 01:20 AM
Actually, scrolling down to near the bottom of the page, it's revealed that the first toy in the set is TFPrime Ratchet using a new head, which is being said to be Cannonball. (from the new issue of the Club Magazine)

Over at Allspark (http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/96541-botcon-2014-exclusive-speculation/?p=2491225), an explanation from Jesse Wittenrich -

The very first toy explored for Cannonball was Breakdown. Because on the face of it, it seems perfect.

But after playing around with the transformation, how that related to the deco, the mold layout, and the exaggerated proportions (tiny head is tiny!), it didn't really work. Ratchet was actually the third option explored, but the robot mode was just perfect for him. Vehicle mode coincidentally became another emergency vehicle which some fans may like...and others not so much.

CHILENO20
8th February 2014, 09:34 AM
Picture is up on tfsource's facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/TFsource

Not a bad choice, thought the BH mould would have been better

Paul Agnew
8th February 2014, 11:55 AM
As one of Cannonball's biggest fans, I... I... don't... like it.

Seriously, I should be jumping for joy akin to when I did the Machine Wars theme, but this... why don't I care?

What's wrong with me? Or more likely, what's wrong with the figure? Never have I owned the Prime Ratchet mold, (thus he's going to be another emergency vehicle) so he'll be all new. And yet... it does nothing spectacular for me :confused:

Golden Phoenix
8th February 2014, 11:59 AM

Seriously, I should be jumping for joy akin to when I did the Machine Wars theme, but this... why don't I care?

What's wrong with me? Or more likely, what's wrong with the figure? Never have I owned the Prime Ratchet mold, (thus he's going to be another emergency vehicle) so he'll be all new. And yet... it does nothing spectacular for me :confused:

Is it because he has both hands?

BigTransformerTrev
8th February 2014, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I loved the Unicron-Trilogy Cannonball - thought he was an awesome toy! But I am also finding myself non-plussed. I think it's the swords and the visor. The original Cannonballs visor had silver around it on one side to give him a sorta pirate-patch look which this doesn't have, just a sharper angled visor and a big grin. Having the swords the same brown colour as his thighs and elbows is just silly.

griffin
8th February 2014, 03:09 PM
The American fans are going nuts over this figure for some reason.

A follow-up tweet from FunPub (https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/431816933957058560) claims that TFPrime Ratchet will be the only TFPrime mould used the Boxset. (their wording on a later tweet means that there will be more that aren't in the boxset)

Paulbot
8th February 2014, 04:04 PM
I like it. It's a figure I'd have bought if I saw on the shelf.

Ode to a Grasshopper
8th February 2014, 05:30 PM
I'd get that if a I found a reasonably-priced one.

Sky Shadow
9th February 2014, 04:55 PM
Is it because he has both hands?

One reason why this mould is a clever choice is because his hand can be swapped for a sword, to make him more Cannonball-like. Apparently at least one of the toys this year will be from Squadron X (i.e. Tornado), which - from Funpub - could be either very well done or a shemozzle.

griffin
12th February 2014, 01:34 AM
Another concept drawing released by FunPub, of a lizard head.
(https://twitter.com/botcon/status/432888327348314112)
Either we are getting a lot of beast alt-mode toys this year, or they have a lot of organics in the comic that won't be toys.

UltraMarginal
11th March 2014, 01:22 PM
Another Botcon Figure Reveal:

Decepticon Pirate Ferak (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon2014/BC14exclusives.html) With a short write up on the news feed on their main page.

I have no idea historically who Ferak is but I like this mold and I think the colours are something different, though there has been a bright white figure in the box set for the previous two ears also.

For me it's essentially a new character. They also tweeted a group shot from a comic that features Ferak and a couple other characters, but I can't access twitter from my work computer so no link here.

So far I'm not upset about the convention set, and it's surprising that we got this reveal earlier in the week rather than Friday.

Paulbot
11th March 2014, 01:49 PM
Ferak appeared in three pages of the Marvel comic, then (along with other non toy Decepticons from the US and UK comics) appeared in three pages of Last Stand of the Wreckers. (That's what they tweeted a pic from)

He does usually not look like a white Cyclonus.

Tornado, the name they've given to the Targetmaster is also an obscure TF comic 'con who was in the same group in LSOTW.