PDA

View Full Version : Michael bay left speechless...

Ravagecat
7th January 2014, 12:32 PM
This made me laugh hard :D

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35284_1-57616726/michael-bay-implodes-at-samsungs-ces-press-conference/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

5FDP
7th January 2014, 12:52 PM
I had the opposite reaction; I feel sorry for him :( If this is what it appears to be - a panic attack, I know the feeling all too well and have been in similar circumstances all too often. He seemed sincere in his apology so I don't believe it to be an act of dooshery or an issue with the teleprompter.

Regardless of how people feel about his movies or pretend to know the man from what they read in the news, I hope he overcomes this.

Gofigure
7th January 2014, 01:42 PM
Yeah he looked to be struggling and finding it difficult to form sentences or any kind of natural flow with words; he appeared quite stressed

Not nice to watch. I've been there before presenting with large groups of people and it can become a vicious cycle

UltraMarginal
7th January 2014, 01:47 PM
It looks like stage fright to me, while a powerhouse director, he probably doesn't get up in front of a crowd like that all too often.
It's embarrasing when it happens, it's happened to me for sure, back in the old uni days.

I have no doubt that the Teleprompter crapped out, leading to the freak out.

I'm sure he'll recover.
It also feels to me that Samsung might have been stretching when they asked him to discuss how their new curved screen would make the viewing of his movies that much better...

for me, bul$$itting a tech crowd about something like that would be a really hard and scary thing to do, but I could talk to them about Transformers or drums or structural mechanics for most of the day because I could be confident that I know my material and would be able to answer most questions or criticisms.

griffin
7th January 2014, 02:11 PM
Wow, that is weird. He's certainly not one to shy away from cameras or interviews.
He's done lots of live unscripted interviews over the years, so maybe he just had a lot on his mind while working on TF4 to not be able to concentrate on the interview.
I'm surprised at how nervous he looked at the start, and equally surprised that he just walked off to save his image when the nerves started making him look bad.

I remember that he was very distant just before the Sydney press conference in 2007, but was still able to perform in the interview room. Heck, he even answered my question about how challenging it was to do something that might interest fans (I think).

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2014, 05:29 PM
I had the opposite reaction; I feel sorry for him :( If this is what it appears to be - a panic attack, I know the feeling all too well and have been in similar circumstances all too often. He seemed sincere in his apology so I don't believe it to be an act of dooshery or an issue with the teleprompter.

Regardless of how people feel about his movies or pretend to know the man from what they read in the news, I hope he overcomes this.
^Agreed. Who hasn't ever had a crap day at work?

lancalot
7th January 2014, 09:59 PM
that funny ...even a director is being controlled .!!!.. he got a bug on him and soundwave activated the shock ! !!

Sinnertwin
7th January 2014, 10:59 PM
Wow.
From the prewritten responses to Michael's departure, that was hard to watch.

liegeprime
8th January 2014, 12:01 AM
oh wow, that was just painful to watch, I guess he wasn't really fully prepared to wing it. Bad day at work I guess .... but yeah that was quite embarrassing :o:o

BigTransformerTrev
9th January 2014, 02:01 PM
Bay often comes across as so arrogant so much of the time that I must admit I don't feel a helluva lot of sympathy for him here. If something bad or upsetting had happened to him pre going up on stage then fair enough, cant blame the man one bit. But if it was simply because the teleprompter wasn't working then for someone who 'creates dreams' surely he could nut-up and wing a 3 minute talk about what he does for a living. :rolleyes:

kup
9th January 2014, 02:33 PM
Bay often comes across as so arrogant so much of the time that I must admit I don't feel a helluva lot of sympathy for him here. If something bad or upsetting had happened to him pre going up on stage then fair enough, cant blame the man one bit. But if it was simply because the teleprompter wasn't working then for someone who 'creates dreams' surely he could nut-up and wing a 3 minute talk about what he does for a living. :rolleyes:

Yep

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2014, 06:52 PM
At least Bay takes the time to have quick chats w/ fans and sign autographs. Megan Fox on the other hand totally ignored fans and purely engaged w/ the media. So in my personal experience, I found Bay to be reasonably approachable. I may not be the greatest fan of his work, but as a person I don't have an issue w/ Bay.

Getting close w/ Michael Bay
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Movie%20Premiere/tfm15.jpg

This was as close as I could get to Megan Fox - posing for the media
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Movie%20Premiere/tfm08.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
9th January 2014, 09:59 PM
At least Bay takes the time to have quick chats w/ fans and sign autographs. Megan Fox on the other hand totally ignored fans and purely engaged w/ the media. So in my personal experience, I found Bay to be reasonably approachable. I may not be the greatest fan of his work, but as a person I don't have an issue w/ Bay.

I'd rather spend the evening looking at Megan Fox than listening to Michael Bay :p

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2014, 10:05 PM
I'd rather spend the evening looking at Megan Fox than listening to Michael Bay :p
IMHO she's not that good looking IRL. :/

griffin
9th January 2014, 10:08 PM
Rachael Taylor was indeed the hotter looking one in the first movie... and in real life at the world premiere at Sydney. Megan Fox was just caked with makeup and now with plastic surgery... that's not appealing to me.

(you need to know who or what you're gonna wake up to in the morning... ;) :p )

Megatran
9th January 2014, 10:42 PM
Megan Fox's response to Gok's question: How do you rate me out of 10? :cool:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Movie%20Premiere/tfm08.jpg

kup
10th January 2014, 09:08 AM
IMHO she's not that good looking IRL. :/

Agreed, also seen her in real life. She is not really that attractive, just photographs well due to all the make up. There are probably better looking girls at your local shopping center walking around.

liegeprime
10th January 2014, 09:11 AM
I'd rather look at transformers toys than look or listen to any of them (Fox or Bay)...

UltraMarginal
10th January 2014, 10:09 AM
I managed to get his signature the night of the premiere in Sydney as well and he seemed quite approachable and in small talk hoped that we'd enjoy the film. I know just small talk but he didn't have to. it was past anywhere where there'd be footage of him being rude to fans.

5FDP
10th January 2014, 11:22 AM
I reserve judgement on anyone that I have not personally met. If others want to be influenced by what they read / hear in the media whose job it is to be controversial and create headlines, that's their prerogative. Until Michael Bay runs over my cat, he's OK in my books. Going back to the first movie in 2007 and the subsequent comments such as 'Michael Bay raped my childhood'; if that's the biggest worry in your life you're doing OK as well.

Ravagecat
10th January 2014, 12:05 PM

...and this is why I laughed instead of feeling sympathy ;) but I've never met the guy personally so he probably has good days and bad days just like every one else I guess :rolleyes:

Megatran
12th January 2014, 01:15 PM
Just saw a snippet for the first time on the ABC news (channel ABC24). Yeah it was uncomfortable to watch. It'll blow over & he'll bounce back.

It's interesting how people react differently to an event. For example, my missus cracks up laughing when some poor guys gets (unintentionally) whacked in the nuts and is lying on the ground trying to hold back the tears. I just cringe & cross my legs.

kup
12th January 2014, 01:52 PM
I reserve judgement on anyone that I have not personally met. If others want to be influenced by what they read / hear in the media whose job it is to be controversial and create headlines, that's their prerogative. Until Michael Bay runs over my cat, he's OK in my books. Going back to the first movie in 2007 and the subsequent comments such as 'Michael Bay raped my childhood'; if that's the biggest worry in your life you're doing OK as well.

I judge him by the movies he makes and stuff he directly says.

5FDP
15th January 2014, 11:20 AM
I judge him by the movies he makes and stuff he directly says.

And you don't think for one second that the studio has any influence or that his interviews are edited? I'm sure you mean 'indirectly' otherwise I would be very interested to hear your conversation / interview with him.

kup
15th January 2014, 12:51 PM
And you don't think for one second that the studio has any influence or that his interviews are edited? I'm sure you mean 'indirectly' otherwise I would be very interested to hear your conversation / interview with him.

That makes no sense at all and you are implying that Bay is a corporate puppet with no will of his own. If he says something, that's his will and voice as no one is pointing a gun at him.

SkyWarp91
15th January 2014, 02:19 PM
As someone who's worked with a teleprompter before I don't blame him for doing what he did. He handled it much better than Bill O' Reilly did...