PDA

View Full Version : Hotlinking prohibited - How do you insert/attach images here?

Arcee
13th September 2011, 10:16 PM
This isn't a TF question, I'm just too dumb to find out where exactly should I post it...feel free to move it to anywhere appropriate if you please...

I just need some instruction on how to insert photos into your post and have them displayed an imbedded image between text lines?

At the moment I can only attach them and have them listed below the text section as thumbnails with superlinks. I don't know if it's just me or what.

KillinSpoon
13th September 2011, 10:24 PM
This isn't a TF question, I'm just too dumb to find out where exactly should I post it...feel free to move it to anywhere appropriate if you please...

I just need some instruction on how to insert photos into your post and have them displayed an imbedded image between text lines?

At the moment I can only attach them and have them listed below the text section as thumbnails with superlinks. I don't know if it's just me or what.

Upload to an image website (for example Imageshack (www.imageshack.com), Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), Tinypic (www.tinypic.com))

Then from there you'll receive a url to the image.
Now, if you know what you're doing extract the actual image link from the "forum code" box and whack it in [ IMG] tags. Otherwise just paste in the code it gives you. (which will be filled with links and advertising and other junk...)

Done.

Arcee
13th September 2011, 11:09 PM
Upload to an image website (for example Imageshack (www.imageshack.com), Photobucket (www.photobucket.com), Tinypic (www.tinypic.com))

Then from there you'll receive a url to the image.
Now, if you know what you're doing extract the actual image link from the "forum code" box and whack it in [ IMG] tags. Otherwise just paste in the code it gives you. (which will be filled with links and advertising and other junk...)

Done.
Thanks a lot! Hursti's been teaching me the same but I'm SLOW...

I'll just keep trying and see if I can finally get there.

iamirondude
17th September 2011, 09:08 AM
the title pretty much sums it up.I'm having trouble uploading my pics of my collection.I've tryed just about everything and nothing (well i did get 1 pic up a couple of weeks ago but since then nothing) any tips or help?

Golden Phoenix
17th September 2011, 09:14 AM
How are you trying to upload them?

I would suggest signing up to a website like flicker or photobucket.
When you get the photo's uploaded to one of those website you can deeplink them here.
You hit the picture button and past the url of the actual picture

janda the red
17th September 2011, 09:55 AM
i feel your pain mate... i had the same trouble a few years ago when i first started checking out forums and stuff.

i would suggest using "tinypic" ( just google that.... you'll find it )

when you're there, all you have to do is:

1: click the "browse" button, it'll open up a window to all your saved pictures.... choose the one you want to post by clicking on it... then press "open" at the bottom.

2: now you'll be back at the main page.... press "upload now" (big green button)

3: enter the verification code (to prove your a person... not a computer...lol)
then press the "upload now" button

4: it'll take you back to the main page again.... except now there are four boxes with script in them. left click on the second one from the top (img codes for forums and message boards) which will highlight the text, then right click... and choose "copy"

now when you create a post here on the forums...

right click the mouse... and paste.

that bit of text is your photo... try preview post to make sure it worked, and hooray! you've posted a photo.

just repeat from step 1 for each photo you want to post.

hope i've helped.... i tried to keep it simple as possible.

pm me if you need anymore help mate... we've all been there

janda :)

iamirondude
17th September 2011, 10:52 AM
thanks for the info i'm uploading now to photobucket but it's gonna take awhile (wireless bb)if that doesnt work i'll try for the tinypic option.

Hursticon
17th September 2011, 11:59 AM
thanks for the info i'm uploading now to photobucket but it's gonna take awhile (wireless bb)if that doesnt work i'll try for the tinypic option.

Oh dude, Wireless Broadband and Uploading must be bloody painful. :o
I use Photobucket myself and I find it to be fairly straight forwad and easy to use, much like yourself I struggled when I 1st joined a forum in understanding how to do 'this-that and the other thing' but you'll get the hang of it. :cool:
Also, you're not alone in this dude as a couple of other recently joined members needed assistance in how to upload and post pics - we're always here to help though. ;):)

iamirondude
17th September 2011, 07:10 PM
i've now been trying to upload to photobucket for 8hrs and it's kinda stuck trying to upload the last pic.IT just seems to be stuck at 98% for the last 2hrs any suggestions.

gamblor916
17th September 2011, 07:12 PM
What size image are you trying to upload?
I suggest 800x600 pixels. There's usually a resize option on most image hosting sites.

Hursticon
17th September 2011, 07:30 PM
That's happened to me from time to time and I'm on a fixed line connection. :o
What I normally do in the event of it hanging like you describe is:

Refresh the page by hitting the refresh button of your browser or the 'F5' key - This will reset the page and it'll look like nothing has uploaded, in actuality it has.
Next, choose to view the album you were uploading the pics to, you'll notice that almost all the pics would've been uploaded (At least they should've).
Then, look through each pic and identify which ones aren't there that should be.
Re-upload the identified pics that weren't successful initially to the album.

That's what I tend to do, it's frustrating at times but it only seldomly happens to me - let us know if you need further assistance. ;):)

iamirondude
17th September 2011, 07:39 PM
it finally finished so anyway what the f is a url? but if you want to view the pics,it's in iamirondude. i made it public so if there's any problems with it can you guy's let me know please.

Hursticon
17th September 2011, 08:05 PM
it finally finished so anyway what the f is a url? but if you want to view the pics,it's in iamirondude. i made it public so if there's any problems with it can you guy's let me know please.

Here is the guide a gave a couple of other members with regards to posting pics - I hope it helps dude:

The link code you're looking for, when posting pics here on the forum, is highlighted below:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Crap/Postingapic.jpg

When you click on the text in the highlighted 'text-box', it copies it to your 'clipboard' so all you have to do is go to where you want to post a pic and 'paste' it in or hit 'ctrl+v' and it'll paste the IMG code into your Reply/PM. :)

When you next quote someone in a reply, or when you reply to this PM ;), and they've got a pic linked in their post; have a look at the code for the pic in their quoted post - that's what yours should look like if you've done it right. :cool:

Have a go and if you're still stuck dude, I'll be happy to help further but don't worry; it took me a good couple of months to figure out how to use a forum-site when I 1st joined here as I'd never signed up to nor used a forum prior - let alone posting pics. :p

Arcee
17th September 2011, 11:37 PM
Here is the guide a gave a couple of other members with regards to posting pics - I hope it helps dude:
Hursti I think you should open your own thread titled "IT Guru Q&A" or "Ask Hursti A Question" or something like that, just aim to solve any technical problems members may have. I would be a regular visitor!

Hursticon
18th September 2011, 12:25 AM
Hursti I think you should open your own thread titled "IT Guru Q&A" or "Ask Hursti A Question" or something like that, just aim to solve any technical problems members may have. I would be a regular visitor!

Cheers mate! :D
Though I have a feeling that a lot of things would end up getting escalated to our Superior Technical Staff member Jaydisc. :p
There are a number of guys on the boards here, Zippo and Iceburn are a couple of examples aside from Jaydisc, who are far better experienced than I - I just try to help when and where I can. ;):)

griffin
18th September 2011, 04:40 PM
If having trouble inserting the image into a post using the image URL (the link), just paste the link of the photo's page itself (at the top of your browser) into the message and people can click on it to go to your photo.

UltraMarginal
19th September 2011, 01:16 PM
I have been using photobucket after advice from members here. Apart from the site being fairly easy to use, uploading pictures to it from my phone is ridiculously easy once set up. You can either put links here to show picks there or include the links in your post so the pics turn up here.

the only drawback I am aware of is if I want to share pics with my parents, my mums laptop ust freezes up when the Photobucket page is opened up. No idea why.

Hursticon
19th September 2011, 11:34 PM
the only drawback I am aware of is if I want to share pics with my parents, my mums laptop ust freezes up when the Photobucket page is opened up. No idea why.

I've had this occur on my Father's old HP Laptop, I think it may be a combination of Windows Vista + Internet Explorer + Flash and a dodgy wireless internet dongle. :p
Generally I find though it's mainly a combination of Flash and Internet Explorer that causes frequent grief. :o

griffin
31st July 2012, 01:41 PM
To slow down the ever-ballooning storage space on my server, I've had to restrict "image attachments" to Active Members and higher.... which will end up making it a perk to earn here (by being a committed fan here).
I can't afford to have new people joining up and immediately attaching images that cost me money, when it is supposed to be a feature that is used rarely (as a last resort for important queries, news or sightings), so they should be hosting the images of all other things (like collections) on free-hosting sites and posting them from there.

I'll see how this goes and adjust it if necessary.

KalEl
31st July 2012, 01:50 PM
sounds fair to me :) let us know if you ever need some donations or any help with running costs dude

Hursticon
31st July 2012, 01:50 PM
sounds fair to me :) let us know if you ever need some donations or any help with running costs dude

Ditto. :)

Kazza
31st July 2012, 05:07 PM
To slow down the ever-ballooning storage space on my server, I've had to restrict "image attachments" to Active Members and higher.... which will end up making it a perk to earn here (by being a committed fan here).
I can't afford to have new people joining up and immediately attaching images that cost me money, when it is supposed to be a feature that is used rarely (as a last resort for important queries, news or sightings), so they should be hosting the images of all other things (like collections) on free-hosting sites and posting them from there.

Hey man, sorry for my attachments in my thread, I was looking at photobucket but opted to just attach pics instead cause it was easier. Anywho, i'll start using photobucket from now on. Once again i'm sorry.

Hursticon
31st July 2012, 05:34 PM
Hey man, sorry for my attachments in my thread, I was looking at photobucket but opted to just attach pics instead cause it was easier. Anywho, i'll start using photobucket from now on. Once again i'm sorry.

It's cool man as you aren't the only person who's done it, I used to do it too but have for a while now used Photobucket; Once you get used to it (It's pretty easy), you'll find yourself wondering why you didn't use Photobucket or it's kin from the beginning. ;):D

Yukitora
31st July 2012, 08:51 PM
ahh yeah. good idea. i guess i could use DA/FB if i have a heap of pics to add in one hit. photobucket doesn't work half the time, and is impossible on my phone. you could also consider limiting the amount of old pics posted. those collection pages are pretty massive.

GoktimusPrime
31st July 2012, 10:23 PM
I use photobucket, but there are plenty of other free image hosting sites you can try too like imageshack, postimage, imgur etc. :)

KalEl
31st July 2012, 10:29 PM
I use photobucket, but there are plenty of other free image hosting sites you can try too like imageshack, postimage, imgur etc. :)

i also you photobucket, its great

griffin
1st August 2012, 12:04 AM

Don't feel bad. This isn't because of any one person. And there wasn't anything saying you couldn't do it (before this change).

Slag
1st August 2012, 12:46 AM
I will change my ways....:o:)

Ultra Mackness
1st August 2012, 04:54 AM
I too shall have to change my ways :o

Ditto :)

iamirondude
1st August 2012, 08:38 AM
i'll change too,i'll get my wife or one of my kids to teach me how to use photobucket.

drahsrebu
1st August 2012, 10:02 AM

ditto.:) maybe a subscription service to become a "Premium" member?? :D

GoktimusPrime
1st August 2012, 11:27 AM
I will change my ways....:o:)

I too shall have to change my ways :o

i'll change too
No no no, not change... transform. :D :cool:

Hursticon
1st August 2012, 01:19 PM
No no no, not change... transform. :D :cool:

Hehe... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI) :p:D

Ultra Mackness
1st August 2012, 02:27 PM
I know its a super noob question, but how exactly does one post pics on here if they're hosted on another site? I recall seeing something somewhere, but I couldn't find it after a quick trawl through the welcome/board rules section. Could we post something in this thread maybe?

Hursticon
1st August 2012, 02:37 PM
I know its a super noob question, but how exactly does one post pics on here if they're hosted on another site? I recall seeing something somewhere, but I couldn't find it after a quick trawl through the welcome/board rules section. Could we post something in this thread maybe?

Hmm... I did post a rough step-by-step guide here on how to use Photobucket twice I think (once via PM to someone), though do you think I can remember where? :o:p

Basically; once you've uploaded your photos to Photobucket, you want to copy the resulting *IMG* code into your post here in the forums... Try this man (http://youtu.be/6UxjW7Aq_eU?t=1m40s). ;):cool:

GoktimusPrime
2nd August 2012, 12:13 AM
I know its a super noob question, but how exactly does one post pics on here if they're hosted on another site?
Use these image tags:
http :// www. somewebsite. com/blahblahblah. jpg <---but without the spaces ;)

Just remember not to do it for a non-image hosting site URL, because that's hotlinking which is disallowed on this board.

griffin
2nd August 2012, 01:02 AM
This should help (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=266060#post266060). Or this (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=265487#post265487).

Look for something called "forum code" or "bb code" and copy and paste that link/code into the body of your post here.

Ravagecat
7th August 2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestions mate...I'll take a look at all and see which works best for me :D

Crysteen
29th November 2012, 11:11 AM
How do you insert images?
I am having difficulties doing so.

:confused:

Hursticon
29th November 2012, 11:17 AM
Best practise would be to use Photobucket (http://beta.photobucket.com/), here's a link to a Youtube instructional (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRXezQkV4w) too in how to use it & how to insert photos. ;):)

Megatron
29th November 2012, 11:18 AM
How do you insert images?
I am having difficulties doing so.

:confused:

You need to have your images stored on an image hosting site such as Photobucket, then link to your pic from there using the "Insert Image" icon, which just adds www.imagehost.com/yourimage.jpg tags around the link, or copy and paste image link from host site directly.

BigTransformerTrev
29th November 2012, 12:09 PM
I think you have to be ranked as a Dedicated Member (rank 5 I think). As a rank 3 - basic member, I can't insert images either. Have a look at Griffin's guide for users

Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
Upgraded Basic Members after about a 100-200 posts. Increases PM mailbox quota, and is able to upload image attachments.

Megatron
29th November 2012, 12:12 PM
I think you have to be ranked as a Dedicated Member (rank 5 I think). As a rank 3 - basic member, I can't insert images either. Have a look at Griffin's guide for users

Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
Upgraded Basic Members after about a 100-200 posts. Increases PM mailbox quota, and is able to upload image attachments.

Hi Trev. I could insert images when I was Rank 3, so unless the rules have changed... Though maybe Rank 1's can't. Also image attachments are a different thing.

BigTransformerTrev
29th November 2012, 12:16 PM
You need to have your images stored on an image hosting site such as Photobucket, then link to your pic from there using the "Insert Image" icon, which just adds www.imagehost.com/yourimage.jpg tags around the link, or copy and paste image link from host site directly.

Really, you can't just upload them from your files on your computer? What about from your facebook?

Hi Trev. I could insert images when I was Rank 3, so unless the rules have changed... Though maybe Rank 1's can't. Also image attachments are a different thing.

Hmmm, maybe I have been able to all along and have just been going about it wrong :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me given my lack of technical savy

Megatron
29th November 2012, 12:34 PM
Really, you can't just upload them from your files on your computer? What about from your facebook?

If they are uploaded from your computer, the server at Ozformers becomes the host. So as you can imagine, if a limit isn't placed on the number of uploaded files it hosts and/or who can upload, it may become too expensive or there may not be sufficient server space, depending on the set up. These are the attachments we are talking about.

Instead, you can host your pics on an external (dedicated image hosting) site, then link to them from here, which frees up valuable server storage space. However, if you linked from Facebook or any other site that isn't a dedicated host site, you would be doing what is known as "hot linking", which isn't allowed generally. This just means that you would be "stealing" bandwidth from another site because every time someone views the image in your post, it is automatically directly downloaded from that site - not good if the post or thread is image heavy! Most sites, unless they are host sites, don't like this, and it's considered bad forum etiquette. You can, however, provide the link only.

Hmmm, maybe I have been able to all along and have just been going about it wrong :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me given my lack of technical savy

That's ok, always a first time for everything! :D

Hursticon
29th November 2012, 12:37 PM

Uploading from one's computer directly to the forums is advised against mainly because those files then get stored on the OTCA server and quite quickly runs up the data allowance bill I believe (Which in turn prevents anyone from even being able to access the OTCA website :eek:); hence why it is strongly recommended for anyone wishing to share pics & such to store them on a photo hosting website like Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) (Then linking to your photos from there). ;)

Hmmm, maybe I have been able to all along and have just been going about it wrong :rolleyes: It wouldn't surprise me given my lack of technical savy.

Indeed you have; I believe anyone can post pic/photo links into their forum posts (via a Photo hosting website) but uploading pics/photos directly to the forum is a privilege reserved for higher ranks, mainly in an effort to promote new members to take up the use of photo hosting websites. ;):)

I probably explained that horribly :p, but if you need further clarification I'm sure a Mod or Griffin will be happy to oblige (If I can't help you). ;):)

Hursticon
29th November 2012, 12:38 PM
If they are uploaded from your computer, the server at Ozformers becomes the host. So as you can imagine, if a limit isn't placed on the number of uploaded files it hosts and/or who can upload, it may become too expensive or there may not be sufficient server space, depending on the set up. These are the attachments we are talking about.

Instead, you can host your pics on an external (dedicated image hosting) site, then link to them from here, which frees up valuable server storage space. However, if you linked from Facebook or any other site that isn't a dedicated host site, you would be doing what is known as "hot linking", which isn't allowed generally. This just means that you would be "stealing" bandwidth from another site because every time someone views the image in your post, it is automatically directly downloaded from that site - not good if the post or thread is image heavy! Most sites, unless they are host sites, don't like this, and it's considered bad forum etiquette. You can, however, provide the link only.

This is a vastly superior explanation to my own. :o

Megatron
29th November 2012, 12:47 PM
This is a vastly superior explanation to my own. :o

lol Nah, not at all. It always helps to have something explained in different ways anyway!

Hursticon
29th November 2012, 01:08 PM
lol Nah, not at all. It always helps to have something explained in different ways anyway!

Cheers for the boost of confidence dude. :D

Megatron
29th November 2012, 01:19 PM
Cheers for the boost of confidence dude. :D

Dude... ette :o :D

No worries!

Hursticon
29th November 2012, 01:30 PM
Dude... ette :o :D

No worries!

Hehe, I use 'dude' for both men & women - No offence is meant however as I don't see the word as being a 'guy term'. ;):cool:

Megatron
29th November 2012, 01:34 PM
Hehe, I use 'dude' for both men & women - No offence is meant however as I don't see the word as being a 'guy term'. ;):cool:

Fine by me! No offence taken. :)

griffin
29th November 2012, 02:37 PM
Indeed you have; I believe anyone can post pic/photo links into their forum posts (via a Photo hosting website) but uploading pics/photos directly to the forum is a privilege reserved for higher ranks, mainly in an effort to promote new members to take up the use of photo hosting websites. ;):)

I probably explained that horribly :p, but if you need further clarification I'm sure a Mod or Griffin will be happy to oblige (If I can't help you). ;):)

That's pretty much it - anyone can insert images from an off-site image host (like photobucket or flickr), but only the higher ranks can upload images to this server (because it costs me money to host the extra server space).
As mentioned by others, if you are wanting to insert images, sign up to a free image hosting site (if you aren't already) and find the applicable image link for each image you want to insert, at the image-hosting site you are using.

BigTransformerTrev
30th November 2012, 09:59 PM
That's pretty much it - anyone can insert images from an off-site image host (like photobucket or flickr), but only the higher ranks can upload images to this server (because it costs me money to host the extra server space).
As mentioned by others, if you are wanting to insert images, sign up to a free image hosting site (if you aren't already) and find the applicable image link for each image you want to insert, at the image-hosting site you are using.

Ah, I had never understood the distinction before. I had actually asked Bartrim about when one becomes a dedicated member so I could put photo's in but now I know (and knowing is half the battle!) will happily sign up to photobucket - especially if it costs you extra money to do it the other way! :)

ILikeSoundwave
31st January 2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for letting us know, we shall TRANSFORM our ways like GoktimusPrime said.;)

SkyWarp91
31st January 2013, 05:50 PM

Is there like an OTCA officially recommended photo storage site? I use photobucket at the moment.

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st January 2013, 05:57 PM
Is there like an OTCA officially recommended photo storage site? I use photobucket at the moment.

I would say no. I think most people use photobucket, I do, mainly because it's easy to use.

KalEl
31st January 2013, 07:16 PM
yup i use the bucket for all my photography and everything

BigTransformerTrev
1st February 2013, 03:42 PM
To show how long it takes me to catch onto these things, it took someone explaining to me what photobucket was and then explaining how to use it, and even then for a few months all I could figure out how to do was to put links to the photobucket pics on. It took TinyJazz basically explaining it step by step to me in another thread a few days ago for me to figure out how to insert the image so it came up. :o

Sometimes I think I am doing the equivalent of banging my computer with a rock and grunting at it. :o:rolleyes::o And yet when I first started using the internet over a decade ago it took me all of 5 minutes to figure out how to make the pictures of the ladies with no clothes on come up :p

Personally, I don't see why anyone would have an issue with using something like Photobucket. Like Gok said - it's FREE! And like Griffin said - it costs him money if we do it the other way and lets face it, its pretty cool we get this free site to play on so we should not heap expenses on the guy. I don't understand why someone would argue to do it otherwise.

Edit: Oh, the guy arguing otherwise has been banned. Ah well, my point still stands :)

kurdt_the_goat
1st February 2013, 07:27 PM
Imgur (http://imgur.com/) is a very easy to use and free image host. You just drag and drop your images onto the site and hit upload, then it gives you heaps of options for copying and pasting into posts. Can also rehost images by giving it a URL instead of uploading from your computer.

Kazza
1st February 2013, 08:52 PM
Sometimes I think I am doing the equivalent of banging my computer with a rock and grunting at it. :o:rolleyes::o And yet when I first started using the internet over a decade ago it took me all of 5 minutes to figure out how to make the pictures of the ladies with no clothes on come up :p

I relate to this.:p;)

griffin
12th February 2013, 02:06 PM
Since people are still using attachments for non-news sections of the board (some even after they were asked not to), I'm looking at either...
- shutting down the feature until something more effective can be set up
- or, to downgrade people mis-using it, to a ranking that doesn't have access
- or, to limit it to a higher ranking and remind people of the Userguide (section 11) and the earlier request to limit attachments to new and important info topics only.
- or, purge the attachments folder after a month or year (or some set period)

Thoughts or preferences?

1AZRAEL1
12th February 2013, 02:15 PM
Personally I think shutting it down altogether. There are numerous sites we can upload photos to.

CHILENO20
12th February 2013, 02:28 PM
Now I know why I wasn't able to load some photos a few months back. I was only a rank 4 then.

liegeprime
12th February 2013, 02:41 PM
Personally I think shutting it down altogether. There are numerous sites we can upload photos to.

My thoughts too, We can always help people wanting to attach photos when they ask how to by pointing them in the right direction. But to make sure that there be no slip ups just shut down that option altogether. One less thing for you to monitor and keep an eye out, one less workload.:cool:

There's always the option of using Photobucket etc, which lower to higher members can freely use to do the attachment anyways.

Megatron
12th February 2013, 02:41 PM
Since people are still using attachments for non-news sections of the board (some even after they were asked not to), I'm looking at either...
- shutting down the feature until something more effective can be set up
- or, to downgrade people mis-using it, to a ranking that doesn't have access
- or, to limit it to a higher ranking and remind people of the Userguide (section 11) and the earlier request to limit attachments to new and important info topics only.
- or, purge the attachments folder after a month or year (or some set period)

Thoughts or preferences?

Can you just disable attachments for all the categories/sub forums you don't want them to be used, and only leave it enabled for the News section (or whatever section/s you want)? I'm pretty sure some board controls can do this, from the Admin Panel. This way, you could leave the ranking permissions as they are, which I think are quite fine.

Alternatively if this can't be done, I would shut it down until a better set up can be established. If you limit it to only members with a higher ranking, lesser ranked members who would have respected that feature will have to post news/important topics without attachments and will have to then rely on higher ranked members or a mod to do it for them. So there's both advantages and disadvantages in doing it that way.

iamirondude
12th February 2013, 07:01 PM
I'd say shut it down and then it gets people like me who don't really know how to use a computer an incentive to actually go and learn(then my wife can drag me to 1 of those tafe course thingy's she goes to for computer stuff).i've been shown a couple of times and coached on how to do use the image hosting sites but as i don't post pic's anywhere else other then on ozformers i kinda forget after a few days on what i'm doing.

Starscream77
12th February 2013, 07:59 PM
I'd say shut it down and then it gets people like me who don't really know how to use a computer an incentive to actually go and learn(then my wife can drag me to 1 of those tafe course thingy's she goes to for computer stuff).i've been shown a couple of times and coached on how to do use the image hosting sites but as i don't post pic's anywhere else other then on ozformers i kinda forget after a few days on what i'm doing.

+1. it's the kick in the butt I probably need to learn this photo bucket thing :D

Hursticon
12th February 2013, 09:24 PM
I too would say to just completely disable it; for the reasons everyone has mentioned previously + if it is unavailable to everyone & across the board, then there's no avenue or reason for complaint from any member. ;):cool:

UltraMarginal
12th February 2013, 10:35 PM
To be honest, once I discovered Photobucket, I've always used it as a preference, I find it easier, especially since I load most photos from my phone anyway, straight to photobucket, and when I go to use them on the forume, they are there ready to link in.

as mentioned above, we're always happy to help a new member with options of how to insert photos/images. maybe we could write up an instruction set for new members and include it in the forum rules and recommendations section so it's easy to access, or sticky it to the top of a section.

GoktimusPrime
12th February 2013, 10:42 PM
Video Tutorial: How to set up and use a Photobucket account (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRXezQkV4w) :)

Kazza
13th February 2013, 04:27 AM
I too would say to just completely disable it; for the reasons everyone has mentioned previously + if it is unavailable to everyone & across the board, then there's no avenue or reason for complaint from any member. ;):cool:

I agree entirely with this.

BigTransformerTrev
13th February 2013, 09:40 AM
I don't usually bother to learn how to use new things on the computer, so being a basic member and wanting to show pics of my collection actually forced me to learn how to use photobucket and I have not looked back since - I'm sure if uploading was completely negated others would quickly learn as well. If I can figure it out, anyone can ;)

VGMStudios
5th March 2013, 09:06 AM
ya I have a question. why am I stuck a rank 2? I come here almost every day and post. I have over 200 posts so im more than a rank 2 I think that proves im not just lurking. how do I get this changed so I can have normal access.

BigTransformerTrev
5th March 2013, 01:13 PM
ya I have a question. why am I stuck a rank 2? I come here almost every day and post. I have over 200 posts so im more than a rank 2 I think that proves im not just lurking. how do I get this changed so I can have normal access.

It may/probably be because you are from Ottawa. According to the guide:
Rank 2 - Distant MemberFor fans that are beyond our region of the world, and due to distance from us, don't stay for long. Therefore, don't have acess to some sections of the board.

Did you post an introduction? Not sure it makes a difference for overseas members but it may help:
Rank 3 - Basic Member
When someone has posted an introduction, to prove that they aren't a spammer/scammer, they gain this ranking, which gains access to Meets and Sales sections, plus the PM system.

But to be honest I'm not sure mate, I just play here, am not an admin or moderator

griffin
5th March 2013, 02:40 PM
I'll look into it.
We've never had anyone outside of our region of the world stick around before... so the membership level was kept simple (no point in using up precious, costly resources).

VGMStudios
6th March 2013, 02:42 AM
alright. thanks for the reply.
I stick around because I tend to find you guys are a good transformer group to be around unlike the tfw or allspark which have mostly nasty and over the top members who make fun of you because you don't know something. and thats only 1 of many reasons why I think you guys are tons better.
ok please let me know what you find out.
Thank you.

Megatron
6th March 2013, 08:52 AM
alright. thanks for the reply.
I stick around because I tend to find you guys are a good transformer group to be around unlike the tfw or allspark which have mostly nasty and over the top members who make fun of you because you don't know something. and thats only 1 of many reasons why I think you guys are tons better.

+1000

GoktimusPrime
17th May 2013, 08:31 PM
Photobucket has a new format now, so some people may not know how to link images from it to boards like here. I certainly find the new format to be counter intuitive and it took me a while to get used to it. :rolleyes: So here's a guide on how to do it...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/photobuckethowto_1_zpsbd356793.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/photobuckethowto_2_zps0eeff2ab.jpg

griffin
18th May 2013, 01:54 AM
Going to each image will have the share links in a box next to the image as well.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th May 2013, 05:54 PM
Also of you go to settings, you can find an option where you can specify which link options you want under each photo. I have the thumbnail and img link under mine, so when I look at my album, they all have the link data automatically underneath them for a quick copy and paste.

Hursticon
28th May 2013, 05:30 PM
I'd just like to say that the new layout & "functionality" of Photobucket is an utter pain in the ass and rather counter-intuitive indeed Goki. :(:rolleyes:

I don't understand the current web-design philosophy being implemented by major sites like this & Youtube, why fix things that aren't broken? :confused::mad:

KalEl
29th May 2013, 11:26 PM
, why fix things that aren't broken? :confused::mad:

Exacery

griffin
9th January 2014, 09:45 PM
I've just merged three topics into one, and stuck it to the Intro/Info section.

It is also noted in the second post in the Userguide (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2), and in the Matrix Resource section (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586).

So if you get anyone new asking about inserting images, link to this topic, and read through the first 50-ish posts for tips and guides of different options.

(I've also noted in the Matrix section (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586), the frequently asked question about Hasbro products having the Australian address, in that it doesn't guarantee it will be released here, it is just a standard component in case it ever gets released here)

GoktimusPrime
27th May 2014, 11:38 PM
For users of Photobucket, here is how you can reduce the size of an image to thumbnail size. This is particularly useful if you are replying with an image embedded quote in order to avoid reposting the image(s) again at full size. :) Basically all you need to do is add th_ to the beginning of the file name, that's all. :cool:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/forums_thumbnailpost_zpsdeff8862.jpg

So I can take the file name of the image above, add th_ at the beginning of that file name and voilà!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_forums_thumbnailpost_zpsdeff8862.jpg <---she is thumbnail size! :D

Not sure how to do this with other image hosting sites though.

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th May 2014, 12:46 AM
Or just edit out the image in the quote. Even lazier :D And therefore my preferred way

Deonasis
28th May 2014, 10:35 AM
When replying I usually break the img tag by removing the initial [

Gok, that thumbnail prefix is great!

1AZRAEL1
28th May 2014, 02:43 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm a bit nitpicky, but shouldn't the title be "Hotlinking..." with the "L" added? :o

Zommael
28th May 2014, 02:45 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm a bit nitpicky, but shouldn't the title be "Hotlinking..." with the "L" added? :o

Yeah, but if we changed it all hell would break loose. We don't want no damn hotinking here (whatever it is)!

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th May 2014, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but if we changed it all hell would break loose. We don't want no damn hotinking here (whatever it is)!

Sounds saucy.

griffin
28th May 2014, 06:12 PM
It's tattooing with molten steel... :p

Omega Metro
28th May 2014, 07:33 PM
I find it difficult to post pics here at the best of times.......even other peoples pics!:p

Hursticon
28th May 2014, 07:52 PM
Or just edit out the image in the quote. Even lazier :D And therefore my preferred way

It's my preferred method too, adding *Snip* in its place. :p - It's one of the earliest posting behaviours I adopted upon joining OTCA. :)
It also involves MORE effort than simply quoting a post or copying a pre-made thumbnail [/img] link, so I don't see where you see it being lazy, Tets. :D

M-bot
7th January 2017, 10:26 AM
Currently, I'm using Flikr to host pictures, and use BB codes to post images here. It needs to be noted that I barely understand that last sentence.

The issue with Flickr is that it embeds hyperlinks in the photo description that I'd rather weren't in my posts, and since updating my phone I can't sign in to the Flikr app (using iOS), so I have to use the Flikr site via Safari. More problematic is that I can't get BB codes on the app or mobile version of the website so I can't post pics from my phone unless I use the desktop version of the website on my phone, which is still a big pain.

So, I'm open to suggestions of a hosting site which 1) has an app on iOS, 2) I can easily transfer pics from my phone into the app, and 3) can easily get BB codes (or the equivalent) from the app to post pics on OTCA from my phone without the need to sit down at my desktop computer.

Any suggestions?

tinyJazz
7th January 2017, 11:11 AM
FYI, part of Flickr's terms of service is including the hyperlink if you post an image you've uploaded there on another site.

I haven't used it but Imgur has an app which presumeably works the same as their website where you can
Upload from your phone/tablet
Resize images
Grab a bbcode to post on forums

Pretty sure it doesn't include a hyperlink in the code

Photobucket has an app which I have used and found very clunky. I couldn't resize the image so it was unnecessarily huge when I posted it. Also they automatically include a hyperlink in the bbcode but its not part of their TOS to include that when you post to another site.

Oh, and a bunch of features had to be "unlocked" by getting "achievements". :/ talk about being out of touch

M-bot
7th January 2017, 04:02 PM
Gave Imgur a shot at your suggestion Tinyjazz... so far the results are good! Still needing a few work arounds as the BB codes are not easily available on the app (but work nicely on the mobile site). Resizing the image was pretty easy too.

The results are here: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=547098#post547098

Many thanks!

tinyJazz
8th January 2017, 06:13 PM
No worries, I'm glad it worked out for you! :) I should probably try out the app myself now haha

Autocon
22nd August 2017, 02:57 AM
So flickr is the new photobucket?

Raider
22nd August 2017, 05:45 PM
or imgur. I have switched to that.

Moray
12th September 2017, 06:22 AM
Gave Imgur a shot at your suggestion Tinyjazz... so far the results are good! Still needing a few work arounds as the BB codes are not easily available on the app (but work nicely on the mobile site). Resizing the image was pretty easy too.

The results are here: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=547098#post547098

Many thanks!

G'day. I'm new here and am using imgur to put photos onto the boards but I can't for the life of me figure out to resize the image. I'm doing all this on my phone. Thanks for any help.

1AZRAEL1
12th September 2017, 07:41 AM
G'day. I'm new here and am using imgur to put photos onto the boards but I can't for the life of me figure out to resize the image. I'm doing all this on my phone. Thanks for any help.

I too would like to figure it out. Last time, I just resized the pictures on my phone and then uploaded

DarkHyren
12th September 2017, 10:02 AM
Well on the web I just log into my imgur account, click the image I want to resize, and it has options for sizes.
Sizes: Original · Small Square · Big Square · Small Thumbnail · Medium Thumbnail · Large Thumbnail · Huge Thumbnail
I just click one of them and it changes the image link to the size I've selected.

But if you dont have those options on the phone I have another solution.
Basically a resized imgur picture has the same link just with a letter added to the end.
For example:
https://i.imgur.com/ngbQdNg.jpg < original size
https://i.imgur.com/ngbQdNgs.jpg < small square
https://i.imgur.com/ngbQdNgt.jpg < small thumbnail
and so on.

As you can see it just adds a letter at the end of the url (before the .jpg) to change the size.
Here's the size key:
Original: leave as is
Small Square: add s
Big Square: add b
Small Thumbnail: add t
Medium Thumbnail: add m
Large Thumbnail: add l
Huge Thumbnail: add h

prjkt
1st October 2017, 08:53 PM
adding "g" seems to give you a low-res forum friendly size in the same aspect ration as the original

DarkHyren
1st October 2017, 09:09 PM
adding "g" seems to give you a low-res forum friendly size in the same aspect ration as the originalMust be a leftover from another size they used to have in place.
For reference adding "g" gives you a size that is in between "l" (large thumbnail) and "h" (huge thumbnail).
More options are a good thing :)

TaZZerath
22nd August 2018, 01:58 PM
Sorry to Necrotitan an old thread, but I was wondering if Flickr works in this capacity too?

I wanted to post something here, uploaded the images to Flickr, and tried using the [IMG] embed options with the links provided but they aren't showing up in the preview post so I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

tinyJazz
22nd August 2018, 04:58 PM
Sorry to Necrotitan an old thread, but I was wondering if Flickr works in this capacity too?

I wanted to post something here, uploaded the images to Flickr, and tried using the [IMG] embed options with the links provided but they aren't showing up in the preview post so I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Which provided links are you using? The forum uses bbcode so if you select that from the share options Flickr provides it should work just fine without altering.

So this bbcode directly from Flickr:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8408062419_aa5c04d111.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/dNZw2r)
AM Jazz (https://flic.kr/p/dNZw2r) by tiny jazz robot (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinyjazzrobot/), on Flickr

Becomes this:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8408062419_aa5c04d111.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/dNZw2r)
AM Jazz (https://flic.kr/p/dNZw2r) by tiny jazz robot (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinyjazzrobot/), on Flickr

I resized to medium for this one.

If you’re using a smart device the you could try the Flickr app. I had to connect a keyboard to my ipad in order to even copy the link from the website. :/

TaZZerath
22nd August 2018, 05:28 PM
Yep, that did it. Thanks so much!

M-bot
21st January 2019, 07:37 PM
As I mentioned in a thread in the Grapple’s Creative section, I’ve been shooting videos, short ones, only a few seconds each (say, 5-10) that I wouldn’t mind posting here...
Is this possible?
Do I need to post them via a hosting site, like with photos? I use Imgur but it doesn’t seem to support videos (or I’m posting them to imgur wrong).
People post GIFs here - how?
Would I be better off either creating a GIF (don’t know how to do that, that’s another hurdle...) or creating a YouTube channel and posting a link to it?

I’d be grateful for any thoughts or ideas.

tinyJazz
21st January 2019, 09:21 PM
This board doesn’t support embedded videos but gifs generally work. Should be fine if you upload them to imgur.
If your clips are 5-10 seconds long I think gifs would work best. I’m sure you can work out how to do that with free software like gimp or firealpaca if you don’t have photoshop.
If you want to keep them as videos you could also try uploading to Instagram. It’s probably better for short vids than YouTube, but you’ll have to post the link to the desktop/browser version of your page as this board also doesn’t support embedded Instagram posts.

1AZRAEL1
22nd January 2019, 03:16 AM
It's a shame there's no easy way to have videos, but yea YouTube seems the goer. Just like how I did the small stop motion animation for the Metroplex custom you had done for me :D

ChlorHex
26th September 2019, 12:38 PM
I'm keen to sell some of my bots and other toys...
What's a good free photo hosting site that I can use these days that works well here?
Cheers

tinyJazz
28th September 2019, 01:16 PM
Flickr
Free accounts are limited to 1000 photos, straightforward share links (bbcode for this forum) and multiple size options

Imgur
Best used from a desktop in my experience, they removed logging in from browsers on tablets Because it was “too hard” for them to maintain lol, haven’t tried the app in over a year so might be worth looking into. Check your privacy settings before uploading - don’t “publish to imgur” and you won’t get randoms commenting on your posts

Add these letters before .jpg to resize
l = large size
m = medium size
t = thumbnail size
s = small square size

Discord
Create your own server and upload the pics there, have to be resized first if needed.

Tumblr
I’m assuming you can still hotlink from your own tumblr account, the image addresses get refreshed periodically (yearly I think) so really only for temporary hotlinking

Instagram
You can embed instagram posts (single images, not gallery/story/video posts) in this forum with a work around, try this:
https://newscrewdriver.com/2018/07/18/embedding-an-instagram-post-with-bbcode-without-plugin/

Autocon
30th September 2019, 02:57 PM
Flicker sounds the goods!

ChlorHex
30th September 2019, 05:00 PM
Thanks so much, tiny-Jazz!!!!! :D

DaptoDog
28th January 2020, 10:12 AM
Like many other people I've always used Photobucket. In the last year or so they started putting watermarks on photos when you didn't have a paid subscription.

I've found out a way to remove the watermark. When copying the image url, simply replace "i1361" with "oimg" as per the example below:

https://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r670/lemmead/Transformers%20Masterpiece_zps6ldqqoyo.jpg

to

https://oimg.photobucket.com/albums/r670/lemmead/Transformers%20Masterpiece_zps6ldqqoyo.jpg

Note that if you want to update your pics already posted here I found you have to delete the existing link and repaste the link from Photobucket, then make oimg change. If you simply make oimg edit in the existing link it doesn't remove the watermark.

The free subscription allows 250 photos which is more than enough for the purposes of posting on this site. Hope this helps!

Sinnertwin
28th January 2020, 01:02 PM
I'm far too lazy, DD :p
Imgur it is for moi

DaptoDog
28th January 2020, 01:14 PM
I'm far too lazy, DD :p
Imgur it is for moi

Haha all good mate. I've never used Imgur but if it's easy to use then by all means. :)