PDA

View Full Version : Favourite 3rd Party Figure of 2013

Gasaraki
10th January 2014, 03:57 AM
Thought I'd put this poll up given the action with the OTCA awards going on.

It's messy, and I've necessarily had to leave out some figures I thought would be lower likelihood to be favourites... but there's the option to specify 'other'.

Personally I think it's been a rather exciting year in the 3rd party arena - I haven't got many of the figures listed here but am keen to hear of other's experiences. And for the heck of it, given that there's been much goodness, it's gonna be vote for as many as you want! :)

VERT
10th January 2014, 08:10 AM
I voted Quackwave. But Planet X Genesis would be a close second.:D

liegeprime
10th January 2014, 08:41 AM
I voted Quakewave. That thing is a Masterpiece. :D The FP not Stunticons comes close second and Demolition Crue third for me. Though if Maketoys Giant came out on 2013 instead of the previouis, previous year - that would take top billing for me hehehe.

Megatron
10th January 2014, 10:04 AM
Yep, Quake Wave.

uteiki
10th January 2014, 10:19 AM
I voted Code. Love the headmasters & the transformation for Code.

Coming second got to be Hexatron...

Megatran
10th January 2014, 10:49 AM
2013 was a great year for 3rd party figures. Several worthy contenders for the top gong. Planet X Genesis was my preference .... something to do with my affinity for Omega Supreme as a kid.

It's a shame I don't have a bottomless pit of cash reserves to acquire all the ones I want.

Paulbot
10th January 2014, 11:12 AM
I look at the pics but don't a buying interest so pay little attention. This would have been in the awards, but I don't know what's come out this year hence the open text fields. (Some people answered those questions, this will probably get more responses).

VERT
10th January 2014, 11:29 AM
Hexatron is WAY up in my top Bots for the year. Really he gets my number two spot. Planet X Genesis can have number 3

Gasaraki
10th January 2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I had a strong feeling Quake Wave would come out on top... the only other figure who seems to have a chance to topple him being Hexatron. Genesis does seem to be quite an achievement for a first offer from Planet-X, but I suspect only a minority of collectors forked out for the behemoth. Is it a size thing then?? Smaller bots (e.g. the not-Stunticons) just don't stand a chance? :p Perhaps part of it is that larger figures do have more chance to fit in impressive engineering and wow-factor...

Personally, I didn't get any of these larger figures, although am being swayed to consider Quake Wave. My own favourites:
1. FP Last Chance - just a near perfect transforming toy
2. Mech Ideas Demolition Crue - still one of the best value 3rd party products out there, and excellent figures to boot
3. Planet X Caelus - took a punt not knowing what to expect, and got a very nice surprise!

Starscream77
10th January 2014, 02:18 PM
Quakewave was the winner for me, just a great MP 3rd party bot !!!!

The Fansproject not Headmasters and not Stunticons were fantastic as was the Mech Ideas not Jumpstarters

Was a great year for 3P though just wish i had deeper pockets :D

Jinto
10th January 2014, 03:24 PM
Planet X Caleus looks pretty sweet, I love the styling of the forearms. I wonder if they'll put out all of the dinobots.

Hursticon
10th January 2014, 03:50 PM
For me:

FansToys: FT-03 - Quakewave
FansProject: Function X - Code/Quadruple-U
MakeToys: Mobine Series - Paladin/Chaos

The top pick simply has to be Quakewave - each aspect of this figure is a "Masterpiece" in every sense of the term;

Spot-on sculpt.
Dancer-levels of articulation.
100% unobtrusive/uncompromised implementation of "Light-up" gimmicks.
Engaging/intuitive transformation.
Perfectly solid ratchet/friction joints.
Impeccable build quality.

To think of what only could've been if FansToys ill-fated Soundwave had been released to the same exacting levels of quality & attention to detail as Quakewave...

---

Fansproject's "Function-X" line, for me, was only beaten out by Quakewave's sheer number of positive attributes.

This by no means detracts from the utterly amazing figures that comprise their iteration of 3rd Party Headmasters; the designer/engineer employed on this line (Rumoured to be Jizai) simply "Gets It" in terms of how to take a transforming robot toy with an, up to now, otherwise compromising gimmick and creates something that seems to completely defy the laws of physics by using mass to it's absolute advantage whilst still retaining contemporary levels of articulation.

The sculpts of both Bot & Alt modes echo their 80s HasTak counterparts quite suitably, but each has leaps of improvement however and are simply fun to go back & forth between - I don't miss the "Spec Readout" gimmick whatsoever.

---

MakeToys somewhat delayed Chaos/Paladin shows exactly how the "Power Core Combiner" connection gimmick should've been employed, but in the same breath shows just how difficult the gimmick is to work with.

This 3rd Party take on what obviously is The Fallen looks exquisitely evil in his choice of colour palette and form, invoking the sense of cold metal that's imbued with life courtesy of an inferno that peeks out through gaps in its composition.

The smaller robot & his eventual armour look superb in Alt mode, with the PCC joints providing a somewhat modular play gimmick that the HasTak toys simply never considered; the Bot mode of the smaller robot is rather articulate for someone of his stature but certainly could've benefited from some better weight-bearing heels, his transformation & subsequent unification with the various parts available to him that form the larger Bot mode is great if not occasionaly hampered by the PCC joints frictional tolerances.

This is where PCC joints have proven to be difficult to implement, as they just don't afford a solid enough seated-connection to prevent "Pop-offs" from occurring - I can only, off-hand, think of about three 3rd Party products that have attempted to use the Power Core System and 1 of which is merely a repaint of the parts that came with Chaos/Paladin that has been since cancelled.

Simply, Chaos/Paladin represents the pinnacle of the PCC gimmick.

---

3rd Party figures are a considerably large market at this point with some manufacturers ascending the hill with strides of self improvement and others stumbling due to questionable retentions of outdated business practises, the scene however is very alive and vibrant with many an offering still coming forward.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what FansToys second outing in "Scoria" turns out like & if it'll be another ball knocked out of the park, as well as the upcoming instalments of the Function-X line with "L.O.O.K.A.T.M.E." shaping up to be catering to my tastes on so many levels it's ridiculous.

I would like to see 3rd Party groups start to employ greater variance in their gimmick lines beyond that of 5/6-Part Combiners, Headmasters & Armour Upgrades; Where is our modern Pretenders?, Duo(Trio)-Cons? & Micromasters?

I'd also like to see more forays into non-referential characters/figures; Bots that aren't based on a HasTak IP but may certainly employ the gimmicks they explored (FansProject's "Retro-Future" Glacial Lords), this is obviously going to be a very slow moving change in direction not only on the behalf of 3rd Party Groups but also their consumers as many still seem uninterested in buying anything that isn't G1-based.

Much like a broader reaching voice of our community, I look forward to the day where the 3rd Party scene completes its evolution into the Independent Transforming Robot scene.

MayzaPrime
10th January 2014, 06:15 PM
Quakewave was the winner for me, just a great MP 3rd party bot !!!!

The Fansproject not Headmasters and not Stunticons were fantastic as was the Mech Ideas not Jumpstarters

Was a great year for 3P though just wish i had deeper pockets :D

Scream77 totally agree, Quakewave was one of the best releases this year for me :D

Sky Shadow
10th January 2014, 06:40 PM
iGear Roswell and Van Guardian. Fansproject Fangro, Taliclub and Tusker.

Lord_Zed
11th January 2014, 12:53 AM
My top 3.

1: Hexatron
Yeah we waited forever for him, but he delivered. An awesome sculpt of a non Geewun character, who completely upped the ante for MMC. Hexatron combines the quality of a collectors piece with the solidarity of a durable toy, I just wish they's kept the neon pink accents.

2: Smart Robin
Actually the whole FP Headmaster series, but Smart Robin is my newest, current favourite. These toys are just to much fun, just the right mix of nostalgia, articulation, sculpting, with inventive and above all fun transformations. They are three of the most enjoyable to transform robots I have ever encountered. I want moar,moar!!!!!!

3: Quakewave
A popular choice it seems, as other have pointed out Quakewave is certainly an MP level Third Party product, and with a light gimmick that doesn't suck no less. Plus I do love Shockwave. The only thing keeping him from rating higher on my list, are his somewhat scary leg transformation, and inability to stand in gun mode. Other than that he is all win.

Honorable mentions to almost everyone else, it was certainly a great year for 3rd party toys, For the first time, I'm pretty sure the amount of good or great toys exceeded the amount of average or wanting releases.

Tallestblue
12th January 2014, 05:13 PM
Quakewave is beautiful, but for sheer awesomeness and play value I'd haveto say Hexatron. The guy is a work of art.

Gasaraki
17th January 2014, 03:27 PM
And so the winner is...

FANS TOYS QUAKE WAVE

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/2/6/3/8/quakewave-0_1357266509.jpg

And that's by a rather long shot! Honorable mentions of course to:

Mastermind Creations Terminus Hexatron

And

FansProject not-Headmasters

Thanks for the votes - I enjoyed reading all the views and comments.
I am sure this will be reflected in the OTCA awards results as well!

Hursticon
17th January 2014, 03:38 PM
Cheers for putting it together Gasaraki, perhaps you might consider making this a yearly thing as Paulbot has with the Official stuff? :)

Slag
17th January 2014, 06:56 PM
I have to go with the masses on this one, but it is the only one i own on your list.. :o
#1............. Purple guy!

Gasaraki
21st January 2014, 08:16 PM
Cheers for putting it together Gasaraki, perhaps you might consider making this a yearly thing as Paulbot has with the Official stuff? :)

Cheers dude... indeed I shall do my best to put this up again next year. Another exciting year of 3rd party figures coming, needless to say!