PDA

View Full Version : US Blu-Ray DVD's Work Here?

TazD
11th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Just wandering if the US Blu-Ray DVDs will work on Aussie Blu-Ray players? I know that they are different zones. Considering Madman are a bit slack in releasing these. Particularly Transformers Prime. Thanks

KaRNiV8L PRiME
11th January 2014, 06:44 PM
I think big w sell a laser multi region bluray player for about $88

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2014, 06:47 PM
Unless you have a multi region player, no.

TazD
11th January 2014, 06:50 PM
How do I know if it is multi-region? I have a Sony BDPS380.

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2014, 06:56 PM
Sonys are notoriously resistant to multi regions. If you want to play more than one region, don't get a Sony as they're often hardwired to the local region (as opposed to other players which are set by software and thus can be reset via some code). You actually have better odds with cheap generic brand players than a Sony. That's always been my experience w/ Sony DVD players. I watch Blu Rays on my PS3 which refuses to play my R1 TF Prime Predacons Rising BR (luckily it also came w/ a DVD which I can watch on my non-Sony DVD players ;)).

Modifying your Sony will obviously void any warranty. I had my old Japanese PS1 modified to play Australian discs after its warranty expired (then some bugger stole it, not realising that I hadn't modified it's electrical capacitor, so they would've literally fried the machine the moment they tried to plug it into an Australian 240V socket)

griffin
12th January 2014, 12:07 AM
Avoid Panasonic as well... that is one of the worst to get unlocked, as you have to take it or send it somewhere to get done from an authorised repairer (so it is free... but you can't do it yourself).

Google search a brand to see if it is region free... or how to unlock to see if it is easy to do, or is even possible.

I was told that Playstation 3 is region free for blu-ray, but I haven't got my console handy to check that. If that is true, that could be an option if you are a willing gamer.

At least with Blu-ray, there are only 3 regions... compared to 6 for DVDs. So if you were desperate and went the expensive way of importing a Blu-ray player (with a powerpoint adapter), you then have access to 2/3rds of the world's Blu-rays.

christalcase
12th January 2014, 12:22 AM
Watch out, PS3 is not region-free for Blu-Rays, only for games.

Per my understanding, I think most Blu-Rays (the discs themselves, not the player) are region free and you can Google sites that state which Blu-Ray movies are region free and which ones are not.

Harbinger
13th January 2014, 06:44 AM
i had that problem, only i had bought season 2 of TF:prime first before i realized. you have to do abit of research but there is afew bluray players you can get. no bluray play is multi region like dvds. they tend to be firmware updates or manually changing the region that enables them. i found a good one from the Good Guys for about $80.

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2014, 04:57 PM
I've been lent some PS3 games from the UK and I just inserted one of the disks into my AU bought PS3 and it's able to read it (currently installing update data) -- so yeah, it seems that PS3 games aren't region coded, but Blu Rays like DVDs are.

Hursticon
27th January 2014, 05:03 PM
I've been lent some PS3 games from the UK and I just inserted one of the disks into my AU bought PS3 and it's able to read it (currently installing update data) -- so yeah, it seems that PS3 games aren't region coded, but Blu Rays like DVDs are.

Yep, this is indeed the case. ;):cool:

DELTAprime
27th January 2014, 05:27 PM
PS3, PS4, PS Vita and Xbox One are regain free for games. (I think there was one Japanese or American PS3 game that was region lock tho.)

Blu-ray movies and Xbox 360 games region lock is the publishers decision. For example Paramount who publish among over things the Transformers, GI Joe and (most) Marvel movies don't region lock. Fox on the other hand (Star Wars I - VI, Avatar, The Simpsons) loves to region lock.

DVD's (except region 0 DVDs), Wii, Wii U, some DS, 3DS and most PS2 era and earlier consoles are regain locked.

DVD region locks are 0: Region Free, 1: North Armerica and Japan, 2: Europe, 3: South East Asia, 4: Australia and South America, 5: Africa and the former USSSR countries, 6: China

Blu-Ray region locks are A: The Americas, South East Asia and Japan, B: Australia, Europe, Africa, C: China, Russia, the Asian sub-continent.

Games are NTSC-J: Japan, NTSC-US: North America, PAL: Rest of the World.

Seraphim Prime
27th January 2014, 05:30 PM

I know in the old days (N64 and Gamecube etc), UK and AU were part of the same region. I think that's still the case, so region coding could still be an issue.

griffin
27th January 2014, 06:16 PM
I found out the hard way that PS2 games are region coded... fortunately I only bought the one game while at BotCon one year, and didn't go on a spending spree on their cheaper games.
I could have had the console unlocked, but it wasn't worth the expense just for one game... and now the system is too outdated I wouldn't be buying other games to warrant the expense either.

5FDP
28th January 2014, 09:10 AM

Yep, this is indeed the case. ;):cool:

I can confirm this also as I buy all of my PS3 games from the UK (ozgameshop) and have never had an issue.