PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE OF MOVIE SPOILERS IN YOUR POSTS

griffin
22nd January 2014, 05:14 PM
Just wanting to note that there is a certain theme for TF4 that is becoming common knowledge on TFs fansites due to unofficial leaked info, but is not yet "public knowledge", so will still be spoilers to some... at least, until that theme shows up somewhere official, like maybe promo posters or Trailers (the first Trailer is only a week or two away at the US Superbowl).

So until such time that it is public knowledge, please be careful when you are referring to, or talking about, the TF4 movie, if it isn't a Movie topic (Movie topics don't need spoiler warnings or hidden text - feel free to talk openly as long as it isn't a PLOT SPOILER). And if you are posting Movie news, try to avoid spoilers in the topic title.

Things to avoid openly talking about in NON-MOVIE topics, or even in unrelated Movie topics (without at least hiding the words in white font)...
- Dinobots, Dinosaurs, or anything Dino-themed (when talking about Dinosaurs in other topics and relating it to the TF4's Dino theme).
- Anything to do with Megatron - is he returning, is he not returning, is he being renamed?
- Any Decepticon or Autobot character names or alt-modes that haven't been officially revealed (except in their own review topics).
- Any plot element of the movie that isn't in a Trailer or Movie Poster.
- The rest of the plot until at least a few weeks after its release (except the Movie Review topic).

Remember, these are things you CAN talk about OPENLY in Movie topics, provided they aren't a PLOT ELEMENT in the Movie itself (that hasn't been revealed in a Trailer or official Poster).
IN ALL NON-MOVIE TOPICS - the spoilers listed above MUST BE HIDDEN, until further notice.

I may post updates here, as to what is now "public knowledge" and okay to speak of freely in non-Movie topics... like, maybe a character listing that you CAN openly name (nothing else about them though), as it is public knowledge that they are in TF4.

Okay, here's a "public knowledge" character listing, that don't need their names hidden if referring just to their names.
- Optimus Prime
- Bumblebee
- Grimlock (we've seen it now, and the name is out there enough to let this one go)
(others to be listed as they are revealed officially)

DELTAprime
22nd January 2014, 06:49 PM
When can I stop tiptoeing around the bloody Dinobot's? They are not exactly much of a secret.

millhouse
22nd January 2014, 07:16 PM
When can I stop tiptoeing around the REDACTED? They are not exactly much of a secret.

Amen. I hope for a new poster that spills it a little more obviously soon.

griffin
22nd January 2014, 08:02 PM
Yes... it is rather annoying. And I've probably let it slip before now as well. I just gotta make sure I don't be a hypocrite if I have to step in when someone crosses the line with spoilers.
Fortunately I post about half of the news here, so I can set a good example with this until people get the hang of it.
At least it shouldn't be for very long... but should prevent too many complaints about spoilers if I don't set some boundaries early.

I figure it is just easier to moderate if we hide anything that isn't officially released, than try to determine what elements cross the line of "spoiler"... especially in topics that aren't as frequently monitored.

Also, just be careful of quoting white text, as it will then show up the text in the quote box. If you need to quote, just delete the white spoiler bit.

millhouse
22nd January 2014, 09:14 PM
I figure it is just easier to moderate if we hide anything that isn't officially released, than try to determine what elements cross the line of "spoiler"... especially in topics that aren't as frequently monitored.

Also, just be careful of quoting white text, as it will then show up the text in the quote box. If you need to quote, just delete the white spoiler bit.

It's a pretty sensible place to draw a line in the sand. Once the studio has it out by their choice, I think it's fair game. Frankly, after the last two films, I couldn't care less about #4, but dug the ride, and to each their own. Anyone more sensitive to that should black themselves out to their desire. God knows I used to avoid the internet on Oscar day like crazy in my uni days!

Hmm... on my monitor, it's only slightly more visible than your original post - perhaps comes down to monitor settings?

5FDP
23rd January 2014, 12:02 PM
There's a new movie coming out :eek: Gawd... spoiler alert please!

:D

griffin
7th February 2014, 12:29 PM
Now that Dinosaurs were shown off in the teaser trailer, I've unhidden it. (and added Grimlock's name to the character list, as it should be obvious from the trailer now)

1orion2many
7th February 2014, 12:47 PM
- Any plot element of the movie that isn't in a Trailer or Movie Poster.

:DLOL are we talking about a Michael Bay movie:D

kup
7th February 2014, 01:16 PM
:DLOL are we talking about a Michael Bay movie:D

Agreed, I am pretty sure that 'plot wise' if you have seen the last two movies, you already know the 'plot' of this one too ;)

5FDP
7th February 2014, 01:43 PM
Agreed, I am pretty sure that 'plot wise' if you have seen the last two movies, you already know the 'plot' of this one too ;)

Really? I re-watched them recently and IMO they're actually quite different from each other :confused: Not saying they are academy-worthy, but I'm struggling to see enough of a similarity that it would give away the plot of TF4. Have you read a leaked script or something?

Sky Shadow
7th February 2014, 04:53 PM
Really? I re-watched them recently and IMO they're actually quite different from each other :confused: Not saying they are academy-worthy, but I'm struggling to see enough of a similarity that it would give away the plot of TF4. Have you read a leaked script or something?

The Transformers were somehow involved in Earth's past. Today, the Autobots work with the US military and Sam has an attractive girlfriend. Humans get barely any characterisation, but it's still a bit more than the eponymous Transformers get. A lot of stuff happens in action sequences that doesn't make any sense if you stop and think about it. A Prime betrayed someone. The bad guys are responsible for some machine that does something with stars and planets. Everyone fights the Decepticons. Optimus Prime kills and maims them violently. The good guys win. People walk out of the cinema disappointed.

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2014, 05:37 PM
Really? I re-watched them recently and IMO they're actually quite different from each other :confused: Not saying they are academy-worthy, but I'm struggling to see enough of a similarity that it would give away the plot of TF4.
^Agree. The plots between the previous films have been known to contradict each other. ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/shortpacked/shortpacked_dotm.png

Deonasis
7th February 2014, 06:06 PM
^that is absolutely and utterly BRILLIANT Gok!!!

As you can tell i have not seen the pic before but wow! Now i know what my head was struggling to resolve while watching the movies back to back (i did know many other things i just plain disliked though).

Thank you :)

DELTAprime
7th February 2014, 06:33 PM
^ Yeah hopefully with Megatron dead he will stay dead and we can get a villain that makes some sense with his continuity. Oh wait, Bay's still in charge isn't he. Well that was a nice thought while it lasted.:(

DELTAprime
15th February 2014, 05:00 PM
OK, can we now talk about the characters Hasbro has revealed in their press release and toy images?

griffin
15th February 2014, 05:42 PM
Characters yes - plot elements (like who Drift is) no.

DELTAprime
15th February 2014, 05:46 PM
Characters yes - plot elements (like who Drift is) no.

So we can say Drift is the Veyron but not his back story? That sounds far more reasonable than the conditions the spoiler phobic have put our discussion under.

griffin
15th February 2014, 06:03 PM
The alt-modes and names of the One Step Changers have now been officially revealed by Hasbro (via USA Today), which is a public media publication.
They did mention Drift's backstory, but in case that is in the movie itself, I didn't want to risk it, in case it was an accident by Hasbro.

Mythirax
18th February 2014, 03:34 AM
Is there somewhere we do talk about the spoilers, that I can read? I'm not fussed either way, I'm just curious. I've probably already stumbled on it and read it, but I'm not sure (the possible thread that is).

griffin
18th February 2014, 03:11 PM
In the Movie news section, there have been 2 or 3 "news" topics, each having spoilers, but from a suggestion from Sinnertwin, I've set up a new topic just for spoiler discussion and speculations (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17993) - so that if you later you think of something to verbalise, or other spoiler info comes in (from sources like Toyfair or other non-publicised things) that may be posted in a news topic, people can just go to the discussion topic if they want to be sure not to get in trouble about spoilers.

5FDP
18th February 2014, 03:23 PM
This is just too confusing. I'll talk to everyone after we've all seen the movie ;) Until then...

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/64346_1221909304107_423_300.jpg

griffin
18th February 2014, 03:31 PM
I'm trying to find a suitable balance, or compromise, between protecting spoilers, and having open, free discussion. Which isn't easy, because everyone has different standards when it comes to spoilers.

This site as a whole, does try to be very restrictive of spoilers, but only to protect as many people as possible who only get one chance at being surprised by the outcome of the movie... however, I accept that it shouldn't prevent the fun of others from talking about the various movie elements that may or may not be a spoiler, just because they fear a reprisal.

That makes it feels a bit selfish, forcing others onto the sidelines who have those different interests or standards when it comes to spoilers, or even have no interest in what the plot is at all.

So we'll see how this "free for all" topic in the Movie section goes - to see if it gets used at all, or if it leads to people being less careful about spoilers in other section.

Mythirax
18th February 2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks Griff :D