PDA

View Full Version : Fan Edits

Gofigure
22nd January 2014, 08:17 PM
Ok so these officially don't exist...so what I am saying I'm not actually saying :)

However, has anyone seen any? The ROTF edit has me very interested; there was so much garbage in that flick, and yet, some moments of coolness and potential

I have the fan edit of SW a new hope ANC it's pure brilliance. It's become my version to watch and that says a lot

So interested to hear of anyone's experiences with the TF franchise

millhouse
22nd January 2014, 09:26 PM
Ok so these officially don't exist...so what I am saying I'm not actually saying :)

However, has anyone seen any? The ROTF edit has me very interested; there was so much garbage in that flick, and yet, some moments of coolness and potential

I have the fan edit of SW a new hope ANC it's pure brilliance. It's become my version to watch and that says a lot

So interested to hear of anyone's experiences with the TF franchise

TBH, I despise fan edits, with the exception being restorative work (see the recent Star Wars that is compiled from a range of sources).

My thoughts are the same as they are of fan films, and as someone who's produced a few shorts and production managed a feature, unless you've got permission from the rights holder, it's not yours. You didn't work on it, you didn't have to answer to someone who's looking at a $200m bill and trying to test it across four quadrants worth of demographics, and you didn't have to release it to a particular date in order to best recoup your investment. My attitude is, generally speaking, go play with your toys in the sandbox.

I dig the first Bayformers, but loathe the two sequels. But I look at the realities of the industry and if it's not my $200m that's paid for it, it ain't mine to frak with. I may not like the product, and that's where my choice comes in. But a tonne of people worked really hard to make that film, and I think you have to respect their work, even if you don't like it.

Personal opinion, and not an attack on you by any means!

Gofigure
22nd January 2014, 10:01 PM
No sweat at all man.

Was more interested and curious of others opinions. Haven't seem much at all in the way of these films

I did find Star Wars revisited edit something pretty special and was quite pleased with some of the modifications. Not just the whole 'Han shot first' stuff but the way the discussion between Luke and obiwan plays out differently due to how it's structured. It's a subtle change but makes a lot more sense. If you have seen it you will understand. But I digress.

Ownership and investment are important considerations and I take that. But I could see how making a number of changes to a film like ROTF could make it watchable.

millhouse
23rd January 2014, 01:46 AM
Not just the whole 'Han shot first' stuff but the way the discussion between Luke and obiwan plays out differently due to how it's structured. It's a subtle change but makes a lot more sense. If you have seen it you will understand.

Having been a Star Wars fan that has slowly become less interested over the past 23 years (and the decisions of Lucas are considerable factors in that), I do admit to loving deleted scenes, particularly of those films.

The version I'd recommend is the Despecialized Edition. Contains a tonne of different sound mixes and so much effort to restore and recomposite footage based on what's available. Truly a guy who wants to leave the best possible preservation of the film available in 1977, etc. 18GB, but worth every meg.

Ownership and investment are important considerations and I take that. But I could see how making a number of changes to a film like ROTF could make it watchable.

I remember running projection at cinemas during that time and there is so much that I couldn't get into. At least with TF1, it was that Spielbergian touch of a boy and his first car - a great central "in" for the audience. I could ignore the wacky humour and keep entertained. Part 2 was just a case of "more Fox! more wacky!" and quite frankly, I'd rather watch the 86 animated film, which remains to my mind, the very best example of Transformers ever put to any screen.

Then again, its all personal choice, 'innit? :P

Gofigure
23rd January 2014, 08:43 AM
The megan Fox scene straddling the bike was laughable.....i felt bad for her...and the bike

GoktimusPrime
23rd January 2014, 09:44 AM
But if you cut all the nonsense out of Revenge of the Fallen, wouldn't the film then just run for about 10 minutes? :p

BigTransformerTrev
23rd January 2014, 12:40 PM
But if you cut all the nonsense out of Revenge of the Fallen, wouldn't the film then just run for about 10 minutes? :p

You'd have:
*Ravage landing then later fighting Jeeps - 3 minutes
*Long Haul looking through ruins - 15 seconds
*The fight between Optimus, Megs, SScream and Grindor in the forest - 4 minutes

So 7 & 1/4 minutes by my calculations :p

millhouse
23rd January 2014, 07:14 PM
So 7 & 1/4 minutes by my calculations

Still too long for me, given the overly-busy designs. :P

DELTAprime
23rd January 2014, 07:54 PM
Getting on soapbox...

I'm anti-fan edit. I believe in the artistic merit of film, music and games.

It's the directors vision and he/she has the privilege of making a bad movie if he/she chooses. We may not like it but it's Bay's right as an artist to make a bad movie.

I have no problem with George Lucas's current versions of the Star Wars Saga and it's his right to make changes if he wants. Sure TPM and AOTC are not great and ROTS is passable at best but it's his vision.

The fan has no legal or moral right to re-edit and distribute what they think a movie should be.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Sinnertwin
23rd January 2014, 08:05 PM
Anybody can edit a film to their liking. I wouldn't call that talent.
I'd prefer to see them make their own instead.

Gofigure
24th January 2014, 09:54 AM
Playing a little devils advocate here...

With a film as terrible as ROTF and with Mr Michael Bay acknowledging its shortcomings and apologising to fans for the result would this change a persons perspective at all? Does he still retain complete ownership of a complete diservice to the fans? ;)

Would this in some way 'allow' the fans to try and improve the film (as many have)

hmmmmm.....

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2014, 10:30 AM
Any Highlander fans here feel better that the franchise makers acknowledged that Highlander II was a crap film and made another sequel that totally ignored it? I'm not a Highlander fan, but the ones I've spoken to say that the third movie and TV series that totally ignored Highlander II was a good move, but still doesn't undo what they perceive as a 'fact' that the second movie was a kick in the nards to the fandom.

I dunno... maybe if AoE turns out to be the best thing since Empire Strikes Back. I'll get back to you in 5-6 months' time. ;)

millhouse
24th January 2014, 11:59 AM
Playing a little devils advocate here...

With a film as terrible as ROTF and with Mr Michael Bay acknowledging its shortcomings and apologising to fans for the result would this change a persons perspective at all? Does he still retain complete ownership of a complete diservice to the fans?

Yup. Otherwise I'm conspiring with your neighbour to take your house. We don't like the fence colour.

ALL YOUR HAUS ARE BELONG TO US.

Seriously though, Paramount retail all rights. Shitty films are a fact of life. How many thought ROTF was shit, but bought it? *raises hand*

And the IMAX Walmart exclusive as well?

*raises hand*

*lowers head, slowly walks away*

Gofigure
24th January 2014, 01:35 PM
does it still count as me buying it if it was purchased in the trilogy boxed set???? ;)

millhouse
24th January 2014, 01:51 PM
does it still count as me buying it if it was purchased in the trilogy boxed set???? ;)

Yes. :P

Magnus
24th January 2014, 08:39 PM
TBH, I despise fan edits, with the exception being restorative work (see the recent Star Wars that is compiled from a range of sources).

My thoughts are the same as they are of fan films, and as someone who's produced a few shorts and production managed a feature, unless you've got permission from the rights holder, it's not yours. You didn't work on it, you didn't have to answer to someone who's looking at a $200m bill and trying to test it across four quadrants worth of demographics, and you didn't have to release it to a particular date in order to best recoup your investment. My attitude is, generally speaking, go play with your toys in the sandbox.

I dig the first Bayformers, but loathe the two sequels. But I look at the realities of the industry and if it's not my $200m that's paid for it, it ain't mine to frak with. I may not like the product, and that's where my choice comes in. But a tonne of people worked really hard to make that film, and I think you have to respect their work, even if you don't like it.

Personal opinion, and not an attack on you by any means!

Getting on soapbox...

I'm anti-fan edit. I believe in the artistic merit of film, music and games.

It's the directors vision and he/she has the privilege of making a bad movie if he/she chooses. We may not like it but it's Bay's right as an artist to make a bad movie.

I have no problem with George Lucas's current versions of the Star Wars Saga and it's his right to make changes if he wants. Sure TPM and AOTC are not great and ROTS is passable at best but it's his vision.

The fan has no legal or moral right to re-edit and distribute what they think a movie should be.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

I'm inclined to agree with the above, for those reasons. No-one says you have to like something, but that doesn't automatically give you a right to tamper with it. Besides, you can just fast-forward past scenes you don't like - that's what I do.

My only point of contention is that I don't believe directors, especially 'big' Hollywood directors, deliberately set out to make a 'bad' movie, although I agree that that is their right as artists if they so choose. Odd humour aside, I think RotF suffered more from its truncated production schedule than anything else, and that considered, I think it actually turned out pretty well.