PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Link Japan (HLJ) feedback

Megatran
23rd January 2014, 09:09 PM
Don't believe there is a feedback thread for HLJ so I'm starting one.

I'm finding the online site a bit frustrating to browse / navigate. There's a Search tool bar, but no Transformers category or sub-categories to click onto (BBTS, RK, ehobbybaseshop, TFSource all have this function). So it's ok if you know exactly what you're looking for, but frustrating if you just want to browse.

Sinnertwin
24th January 2014, 12:25 PM
I agree, their search method could definitely use an overhaul. Apart from said browsing issue, i've had no dramas :)

PS: Any chance of attaching a poll to this thread?

griffin
24th January 2014, 02:14 PM
PS: Any chance of attaching a poll to this thread?

Your wish is my command... :p

Sinnertwin
24th January 2014, 02:49 PM
Much obliged , good sir:D

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2014, 04:29 PM
I've gotten Transformers from HLJ for 10+ years; their prices never exceed RRP and I find their service to be consistently reliable - never had a problem with them. But I do agree that their search engine is bollocks. I find it easier to search stuff by using Google than their actual site engine.

Sky Shadow
24th January 2014, 09:15 PM
I know I've shopped with HobbyLink Japan since at least 2002. Combining orders is less insane than it used to be due to a Pile-Of-Loot-like feature called Private Warehouse that they started in 2012, which means you can combine shipping within sixty days of the first item coming into stock. HLJ has a lot more competition than it did a decade ago, but it's still a great option when they have what you want and unlike some other outlets, they never 'scalp' popular items - you'll always pay the right price.

BigTransformerTrev
28th October 2014, 11:55 AM
I lucked out. I had a Super Pochaco Magic Show figure in my Private Warehouse for ages which was coming close to the 60 day automatic shipping limit. The only other thing in there was my TF4 LA12 Stinger figure. My Super Pochaco Winter Version Figure was due this month but not showing up. At the 57 day mark she has arrived! :D So i get to ship the girls with probably a very happy Stinger off all together ;)

It seems unlike BBTS when HLJ say a particular month they seem to actually mean it. Would have been really annoyed if had to get these items shipped seperately as all my other HLJ orders like MP UM and Generations Jetfire are not due until December.

Megatran
24th November 2014, 09:23 PM
Anyone able to provide input regarding reliability of their statement: Restock in 4-6 weeks.

I'm tempted to purchase an item but nervous of 4-6 weeks extending out to months & months.

Sky Shadow
25th November 2014, 12:51 PM
Anyone able to provide input regarding reliability of their statement: Restock in 4-6 weeks.

I'm tempted to purchase an item but nervous of 4-6 weeks extending out to months & months.

If you really want the item, go with another supplier. "4 to 6 weeks" is HobbyLinkJapanese for "I don't know." I've had items that were restocking in "4 to 6 weeks" that still hadn't restocked when I gave up and cancelled the order half a decade later. Amusingly, I remember one time they had an item that was solicited but cancelled and thus never ever actually produced sitting on the site for years saying it "Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks".

drifand
26th November 2014, 02:31 PM
I would say is quite reliable but if you urgently need it don't rely on it.

One bad point about hlj is no option to pay your preorder when our rates are good.

There is also no "email me when stock is in" which I believed they used to.

Zippo
26th November 2014, 05:46 PM
Most of their Tomica Die Cast are 4-6 weeks and all except one has been filled. However no recent experience with other items

Megatran
28th November 2014, 05:38 PM
HLJ is having Black Friday four day sale. (http://www.hlj.com/blackfriday2014.html) Runs until 6pm Tuesday Japan time. Make sure you read the sale conditions.

drifand
28th November 2014, 09:31 PM
Not fantastic, needs to be in stock and half of the good items are on back order. Go figure?

Also no sale for pre orders. I however manage to get two kits.
Very disappointed compared to previous sale. This is a sad Friday sale.

laproblematique
29th November 2014, 05:37 AM
Can somebody give me rough figures for shipping for the Star Saber, Magnus (I'm guessing similar to MP-04, MP-09 etc.) and Exhaust to Melbourne/Australia.

Not sure if I dun goofed passing up on all 3 when the preorders came up late last night. If only private warehouse lasted another month I could have nabbed all three together - can anybody comment on roughly how much they've saved using this feature? Cheers.

drifand
29th November 2014, 11:23 AM
I would think

1 exhaust 900 yen
Starsaber 3,300 yen ems gusss only
Magnus same.

Is all guesstimate as product is not available

laproblematique
29th November 2014, 11:58 AM
I would think

1 exhaust 900 yen
Starsaber 3,300 yen ems gusss only
Magnus same.

Is all guesstimate as product is not available

Thanks for the estimates!

drifand
29th November 2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the estimates!

The thing to note is I realised hlj ems service can be cheaper than other online stores at times. But overall they do not charge an arm for shipping as compared to a lot of stores out here.

Hursticon
29th November 2014, 01:19 PM
The thing to note is I realised hlj ems service can be cheaper than other online stores at times. But overall they do not charge an arm for shipping as compared to a lot of stores out here.

Agreed. :D

They always aim to pass on the cheapest cost to the consumer regardless of the chosen Shipping Method. :cool:

I'm also guesstimating $30 for EMS, going off of what it cost me to get my 1.5kg TakaraTomy Generations: Metroplex from them as I reckon he's likely the most comparable in packaging dimensions & weight to that of MP Ultra Magnus and Star Saber. ;):)

drifand
29th November 2014, 03:00 PM
Agreed. :D

They always aim to pass on the cheapest cost to the consumer regardless of the chosen Shipping Method. :cool:

I'm also guesstimating $30 for EMS, going off of what it cost me to get my 1.5kg TakaraTomy Generations: Metroplex from them as I reckon he's likely the most comparable in packaging dimensions & weight to that of MP Ultra Magnus and Star Saber. ;):)

yup going to agree with that estimate.

Tober
1st December 2014, 05:28 PM
HLJ used to have 20% off EMS advertised, now they just seem to have it regardless - a deal with Japan Post maybe? They process over 1,000 orders a day! :eek:

I know I've shopped with HobbyLink Japan since at least 2002. Combining orders is less insane than it used to be due to a Pile-Of-Loot-like feature called Private Warehouse that they started in 2012, which means you can combine shipping within sixty days of the first item coming into stock. HLJ has a lot more competition than it did a decade ago, but it's still a great option when they have what you want and unlike some other outlets, they never 'scalp' popular items - you'll always pay the right price.

If you really want the item, go with another supplier. "4 to 6 weeks" is HobbyLinkJapanese for "I don't know." I've had items that were restocking in "4 to 6 weeks" that still hadn't restocked when I gave up and cancelled the order half a decade later. Amusingly, I remember one time they had an item that was solicited but cancelled and thus never ever actually produced sitting on the site for years saying it "Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks".

Yep. And of the Japan based exporters, only HLJ and Hobby Search will actually help you out if a problem occurs. The rest (Amiami, Anime-Export, Nippon-Yasan...) basically won't want to know.

drifand
2nd December 2014, 02:09 AM
I have actually spoken to amiami and ny support, they are no where as close as to the stories I am hearing from AE .

But yes I have to agree, hobby search and hlj really drives on customer service.

I still do not like how hlj release new items and we keep refreshing till it appears somewhere.

Megatran
17th December 2014, 05:28 PM
Two gigantic non-transformable toys (not by TT but lincenced through Sentinel) are now half price. 22,500 Yen each.

Gigantic Action Megazarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88211/Act)

Gigantic Action Black Zarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88212/Act)

BigTransformerTrev
24th December 2014, 06:59 PM
Two gigantic non-transformable toys (not by TT but lincenced through Sentinel) are now half price. 22,500 Yen each.

Gigantic Action Megazarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88211/Act)

Gigantic Action Black Zarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88212/Act)

With the weak Japan Yen they currently work out at $$188US compared to the $570US they still cost at BBTS. With nearly $400US difference Just put one in my private warehouse :D

Edit: LG07 Jetfire and MP Ultra Magnus just dropped today :D But them combined with Scorponok and a single Super Sonico figure means I'm paying $140 to have 4 items shipped :eek: But then Jetfire is big, MP Magnus is really big and Scoponok is freakin huge so guess it makes sense

I will say this for HLJ, they work fast! Whereas my last order with BBTS took almost a day to process my last credit card payment, then spent a solid 2 to 3 days in the Warehouse before shipping, HLJ processed my shipping payment within half an hour and took less than half a day to send me the 'we have shipped' notice. :)

Megatran
20th January 2015, 09:29 PM
Too much empty space in the HLJ box. Consequently, Optimus Prime box was crushed on the front face.

Nano Block Optimus Prime box was resealed on one side. :confused::(

Megatran
10th February 2015, 06:22 PM
Transformers Gigantic Action Megazarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/set88211) by Sentinel is 50% off sale again.

STL
11th February 2015, 03:15 PM
Transformers Gigantic Action Megazarak (http://www.hlj.com/product/set88211) by Sentinel is 50% off sale again.

I've tempted by that twice now but have to keep reminding myself third party transforming ones are coming!

Zippo
12th February 2015, 07:26 PM
Got to give props to HLJ

As part of my pre order service, I use HLJ as one of my main suppliers for Japanese items. I order 5-10 of each item, and then correct closer to release.

I did this over the weekend for the Fembots, but checking today (early morning) I saw I still had 10 on order so I re-corrected thinking I had made a mistake or not saved or something.

After work I checked again and was still showing 10 of each on order and this time I know I had saved/confirmed things.

After a quick email to their trouble email address, I had a reply in 20 minutes with a manual correction and a note to say this was not normal behaviour and it would be looked into by the tech team.

Well done HLJ :) :) :) :) :)

Megatran
25th March 2015, 08:56 PM
I've only very recently seen QT-19 Convoy & 20 Megatron preorder listed. But its showing up as 'Stop Order'. Does this mean its already sold out or staging to commence the preorder? :confused:

tinyJazz
25th March 2015, 09:45 PM
I've only very recently seen QT-19 Convoy & 20 Megatron preorder listed. But its showing up as 'Stop Order'. Does this mean its already sold out or staging to commence the preorder? :confused:

It means that they have taken all the preorders they are able to fill.
Keep checking the listings if you're keen, they might order more from the supplier or someone might cancel their preorder.

Generally if it's out of stock, and not on backorder, the site will list the item as "discontinued"

Megatran
25th March 2015, 10:28 PM
^ That didn't take long. :(

Defcon
26th March 2015, 06:32 PM

Don't be to worried, they will open up the preorders again at least once or twice before release, and will also sometimes have some stock upon release. It seems they do this with a lot of items, it is very handy. Although it can be a problem if they open a preorder later and can't fill the order upon release ??? its unlikely, but it did happen with the Takara Legends fembots, they simply took to many orders.

Zippo
26th March 2015, 06:53 PM
4 days since I shipped MP-23 and MP-24 and nothing
Normally ship within a day. Maybe they are getting too popular

nsm034
26th March 2015, 11:04 PM
4 days since I shipped MP-23 and MP-24 and nothing
Normally ship within a day. Maybe they are getting too popular

yeah i shipped mine on sun and they just sent through that it's been shipped today , thurs

Sinnertwin
26th March 2015, 11:30 PM
also from an email i received re shipping

In addition, yesterday was our semi-annual inventory, and since all staffers were working on that, no packages were shipped that day.

they were a little behind, but they'll get there

drifand
27th March 2015, 12:42 PM
You need to be patient, or just pop an email just to ask where is it at.
They are normally fast.

Zippo
27th March 2015, 03:17 PM
Cheers for the information. Finally shipped today

Megatran
29th March 2015, 01:53 PM
There must be a big back log of orders they still need to process & ship. Mine is being 'double checked before shipping'. Not sure if that's their standard statement for 'be patient'.

Zippo
29th March 2015, 03:55 PM
Being patient allowed me to add a TAV Roadblock to my order.

Zippo
31st March 2015, 08:19 PM
I may have lost HLJ as a supplier.
Seems they have been keeping tabs on my order history and what they call excessive cancellations.

My general practice is to order 5 or 10 of a said figure, offer the pre orders to New Zealand collectors and then adjust what I have on order at HLJ. Since 2011 I have apparently cancelled over 1.5 million yen worth of items and now an undesirable customer

I have let them know that in the last 3 months I have spent over 225,000 yen at their web site and none of the pre order items I have ever cancelled have ever appeared on the website as general items for sale.

However since they have taken exception to me, I have invited them to cancel all pre orders I have on file and then close my account once I have shipped the last private warehouse item. I also offered them an alternative... their choice.

Nice way to end a 15 year relationship :)

Sinnertwin
1st April 2015, 12:48 AM
If you do continue to use HLJ, have you considered adjusting your current method of group ordering? $16,400 is quite a bit of money to have cancelled over 4 years :o

Zippo
1st April 2015, 04:47 AM
In order to secure MP items, I am ordering 5-10 at a time
Sometimes my actual requirements are far less than that, at which point I cancel some items.

Some of the big boys in recent months have not helped - cancelling 5 MP-22 and MP-24 adds up.

I did have time this morning
Since November 2013, I have pre ordered just over 1 Million Yen worth of items (including upcoming MPs like Bee and Tracks)
I have completed purchases on 430,000 Yen and cancelled 434,000 Yen (rounded to nearest thousand). HLJ have cancelled 20,000 Yen on me

Sinnertwin
1st April 2015, 09:57 AM
I think it's time NZ members or anybody else associated started doing their own ordering.

While it's great that you're doing your bit to help everyone out, a purchase to cancellation ratio of nearly 50:50 is quite a lot i & i can understand HLJ's decision

Megatran
1st April 2015, 11:06 AM
Anyone else still waiting for shipping notification from the 21st March releases? I'm a gonna contact them after the Easter break if I don't get the notification.

nsm034
2nd April 2015, 10:33 AM
got my exhausts and star sabres just now from them

yoshi594
2nd April 2015, 02:25 PM
I think all is lost for my takara legends arcee and chromia. I dunno how such a big company as themselves that's in a business where they can not handle inventory control properly.

They have been downgraded to my LAST resort and sales purchases only.

Zippo
3rd April 2015, 10:46 AM
I am not sure what is happening in regards to my future pre orders at HLJ.

I got a reply from them after I told them why I pre ordered so many and that I was happy for them to cancel my orders

Reply: Thank you for writing. We appreciate your understanding, and hope we can continue to serve you

Shipping is still very slow at the moment ...

tinyJazz
3rd April 2015, 08:04 PM
I think all is lost for my takara legends arcee and chromia. I dunno how such a big company as themselves that's in a business where they can not handle inventory control properly.

They have been downgraded to my LAST resort and sales purchases only.

Hey yoshi did you get an email from HLJ today? Looks like they are getting the LG-10 Arcee (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/further-confirmation-of-takara-tomy-transformers-legends-lg10-arcee-reissue/32594/) reissue and customers who missed out in the first round are having their orders honoured first.

No word on a Chromia reissue though.

yoshi594
4th April 2015, 03:50 AM
Hey yoshi did you get an email from HLJ today? Looks like they are getting the LG-10 Arcee (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/further-confirmation-of-takara-tomy-transformers-legends-lg10-arcee-reissue/32594/) reissue and customers who missed out in the first round are having their orders honoured first.

No word on a Chromia reissue though.

yup got it! i fist pumped! Dunno if they'll do a Chromia and windblade reissue xD

BigTransformerTrev
21st April 2015, 10:58 AM
HLJ finally has UW02 Menasor for preorder :). $100US, which is $35US cheaper than BBTS

Sinnertwin
22nd April 2015, 09:25 AM
HLJ finally has UW02 Menasor for preorder :). $100US, which is $35US cheaper than BBTS

Sweet.
BBTS preorder cancelled!
Now all they need to do is list the new TAV and TED stuff so i can cancel those too :p

yoshi594
28th April 2015, 07:26 PM
anyone ever have orders that never actually got processed? I checked email only to see that my masterpiece star saber and brainstorm order never got proceesed...the last email i got from them was that it was in processing.

I've emailed them to follow up on what occurred there. Goes to show what happens when you don't keep track of your orders! Also that they have the worst stock control of all the Japanese websites.

oh and to add insult to injury, I ordered quite early...I think it was day one...the same time as malboro wheeljack.

griffin
13th May 2015, 06:29 PM
For anyone keen on the Ehobby Cloud toys (the Decepticons), HLJ have listed the last three for a June release (Starscream (http://hlj.com/product/tkt81206), Shockwave (http://hlj.com/product/tkt82220), Hellwarp (http://hlj.com/product/tkt82901)).
After they recently listed Ehobby's Grand Scourge exclusive toy, HLJ must have struck up a deal with Ehobby to sell some of their exclusive toys, as these are probably excess stock rather than a reissue.

Each is listed for 6450yen (about AU$68)... so it might be the cheapest option at the moment if you have them sent with other items from HLJ to offset postage.

Megatran
13th May 2015, 09:46 PM
Transformer Unite Warriors Decepticon Grand Scourge (https://secure.hlj.com/product/TKTE-0042-TF/Act) is available again for pre-order. It was 'Order Stop' about a week ago from memory. :confused:

prjkt
13th May 2015, 11:02 PM
HLJ probably got confirmation of a bigger supply than initially thought.

ampoldj
15th May 2015, 06:11 PM
Hi does anyone knows how much is the shipping cost for a single MP Car from HLJ? Trying to order Tracks since most are already out.

yoshi594
15th May 2015, 06:21 PM
Hi does anyone knows how much is the shipping cost for a single MP Car from HLJ? Trying to order Tracks since most are already out.

amiami are still in stock for tracks.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-010585&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dtracks%24p agemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

ampoldj
15th May 2015, 06:47 PM
amiami are still in stock for tracks.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-010585&page=top%2Fsearch%2Flist%3Fs_keywords%3Dtracks%24p agemax%3D40%24getcnt%3D0%24pagecnt%3D1

How much is the shipping cost for Amiami?

yoshi594
15th May 2015, 10:58 PM
How much is the shipping cost for Amiami?

not sure. probably 10-20 dollars depending on the shipping selection.

Megatran
19th June 2015, 07:15 PM
Up for pre-order are the next lot of little cute Q-Transformers (supposedly July release):

QT-23 Optimus Prime, QT-24 Bumblebee & QT-25 Lockdown (https://secure.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=transformers&DisplayMode=images&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=5Q4ARF3C83S&set=1&q=1&x=0&y=0&KeyWord=qt&c=c)

Crossover QTC-01 Hello Kitty (https://secure.hlj.com/product/TKT83589/Sci)

Megatran
24th June 2015, 05:11 PM
TAV-21 Optimus Prime alrealdy sold out. :mad:

https://www.hlj.com/product/TKT82832/Sci

Zippo
24th June 2015, 06:50 PM
TAV-21 Optimus Prime alrealdy sold out. :mad:

https://www.hlj.com/product/TKT82832/Sci

I was checking this afternoon on a whim, saw it and thought I will pre order.
Glad I did .. they sure do sell out of these items quickly

Megatran
24th June 2015, 09:39 PM
^ Thanks for the heads up. :rolleyes:

:p

Krayt
25th June 2015, 10:14 AM
The TAVs have been selling out super quick.... but the LG ladies... still open order!

drahsrebu
27th June 2015, 01:40 AM
TAV-21 OP is back up, same as jazz. be quick....:)

Sinnertwin
27th June 2015, 09:12 AM

Champion :)

griffin
27th June 2015, 10:26 AM
Up for pre-order are the next lot of little cute Q-Transformers (supposedly July release):

QT-23 Optimus Prime, QT-24 Bumblebee & QT-25 Lockdown (https://secure.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=transformers&DisplayMode=images&Dis=2&Sort=std&qid=5Q4ARF3C83S&set=1&q=1&x=0&y=0&KeyWord=qt&c=c)

Crossover QTC-01 Hello Kitty (https://secure.hlj.com/product/TKT83589/Sci)

The Hello Kitty is already on "order stop"... WTH?
That abomination must have been bought up by Hello Kitty fans. (or sad fanboys like me... :p )

griffin
27th June 2015, 10:27 AM

Damn... missed it. :(

Gotta be quick I guess.

Megatran
27th June 2015, 10:45 AM
The Hello Kitty is already on "order stop"... WTH?
That abomination must have been bought up by Hello Kitty fans. (or sad fanboys like me... :p )
I preordered one. :D

Champion :)
Well done.

Damn... missed it. :(

Gotta be quick I guess.
I snooze..... I lose.

BigTransformerTrev
15th July 2015, 08:59 AM
Really impressed with the shipping time on my latest order (UW Superion, TED-05 Junkion etc). Only took about a week and that wasn't even with the most expensive shipping option :D. Half the time it takes longer than that to recieve something from another part of Australia :rolleyes:

tinyJazz
24th July 2015, 04:25 AM
Next wave of QTFs (Cliffjumper, Laserwave, Soundwave)

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?qid=BZS3P7UAR2811F&Dis=2&q=1&DisplayMode=grid&Word=transformers%20qt&set=1&Sort=releaseDate+desc

TAV Override, Runabout, (CW moulds) and Microshooter Fracture

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?qid=0N88MT8S69W30A&Dis=2&SeriesID=6187&DisplayMode=grid&set=1&Sort=releaseDate+desc

Krayt
24th July 2015, 07:05 AM
Damnit! Been checking daily, looked when I went to bed.... And now they are already gone!

prjkt
24th July 2015, 07:26 AM
They don't last long

Krayt
24th July 2015, 08:55 AM
Yeah i know that.. hence the mucho checking all day every day.... damn sleep!

Megatran
24th July 2015, 09:07 AM
TAV21 Optimus Prime isn't even registering when searching. Was hoping it would go back in stock.

Krayt
24th July 2015, 09:29 AM
He flittered up and down a few times over the last month. SHows up if you select "show discontinued items" now, which is the status of completely gone things.

Of note, wave 1 TAV is on sale now.. 1500 each deluxe, 900 underbite

Krayt
24th July 2015, 05:02 PM
TAV21 Optimus Prime isn't even registering when searching. Was hoping it would go back in stock.

He's there right now...

GOGOGOGOGOGO!!!!

Megatran
24th July 2015, 05:39 PM
He's there right now...

GOGOGOGOGOGO!!!!
Sweeeeeet. :)

Hursticon
25th July 2015, 11:35 PM
Next wave of QTFs (Cliffjumper, Laserwave, Soundwave)

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?qid=BZS3P7UAR2811F&Dis=2&q=1&DisplayMode=grid&Word=transformers%20qt&set=1&Sort=releaseDate+desc

TAV Override, Runabout, (CW moulds) and Microshooter Fracture

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?qid=0N88MT8S69W30A&Dis=2&SeriesID=6187&DisplayMode=grid&set=1&Sort=releaseDate+desc

Scored me Override, Runabout and... Soundwave! :D Just about an hour prior to you posting this, TJ, pays to be on the ball huh? - They didn't last long at all! :eek:

drifand
28th July 2015, 08:43 AM
I do not know whether to praise or vent on hlj at times.

But whenever you do see an item on stock, they are pretty well priced against scalping prices from stores that raise their prices.

HLJ tends not to sell overpriced for their products which is good. I only wish their site was better organised.

Megatran
9th August 2015, 03:16 PM
My Private Warehouse is empty? :confused:

Trying to locate these items and finally found them sitting in the 'Shipment History' when I select the 'View Order History'. I've not requested my PW to be shipped nor have I received a shipment notification. These items don't mention a shipment date in the Shipment History. It's only been less than 40 days so it's not like HLJ would auto ship.

Hope it's a glitch that'll fix itself out in a giffy.

EDIT: Never mind. Logged out & back in. Everything is AOK. :o

tinyJazz
9th August 2015, 03:26 PM
Scored me Override, Runabout and... Soundwave! :D Just about an hour prior to you posting this, TJ, pays to be on the ball huh? - They didn't last long at all! :eek:

And here I thought I was up early! :p

My Private Warehouse is empty? :confused:

Trying to locate these items and finally found them sitting in the 'Shipment History' when I select the 'View Order History'. I've not requested my PW to be shipped nor have I received a shipment notification. These items don't mention a shipment date in the Shipment History. It's only been less than 40 days so it's not like HLJ would auto ship.

Hope it's a glitch that'll fix itself out in a giffy.

I've had this empty warehouse happen before, usually when a preordered item has just come into stock. Nothing went missing after it sorted itself out so you should be ok. :o

Krayt
19th August 2015, 12:37 AM
TAV Runabout just showed up on hlj again.... But is only 1 per customer.... Any hlj shoppers not want it and can get me one?

drifand
19th August 2015, 05:34 AM
TAV Runabout just showed up on hlj again.... But is only 1 per customer.... Any hlj shoppers not want it and can get me one?

You need a Melbourne member though.

Krayt
19th August 2015, 06:45 AM
You need a Melbourne member though.

He's gone again now :-(

And no, I don't need a Melbourne member.... We're an Australian group of mates..... You know..."OZ".... :p

drifand
19th August 2015, 10:16 AM
He's gone again now :-(

And no, I don't need a Melbourne member.... We're an Australian group of mates..... You know..."OZ".... :p

I know but shipping interstate will not be cheaper

Megatran
19th August 2015, 08:57 PM
At times I've had to re-log in to my account when moving through the purchasing process. It can be frustrating. Do others experienced this as well?

griffin
19th August 2015, 11:57 PM
At times I've had to re-log in to my account when moving through the purchasing process. It can be frustrating. Do others experienced this as well?

That happened to me last night, and my browser wouldn't try to automatically log me in like on other password screens (I only have it set to log into three sites, but it will automatically detect and offer to log in to any password screen). So I had to manually log in a second time when doing the payment screen.
Maybe it's just added security, which is always a good thing.

drifand
20th August 2015, 02:05 AM
Happen to me from time to time.
It will bug me if I am trying to preorder something hot and I have to relogin again and miss out.

Megatran
20th August 2015, 01:10 PM
Happen to me from time to time.
It will bug me if I am trying to preorder something hot and I have to relogin again and miss out.
Happened to me last night. Missed out on Optimus Prime Transforming Pen. Was hoping to replace the one I lost. :(

BigTransformerTrev
21st August 2015, 08:29 AM
UW Menasor dropped into my private warehouse last night.

I will say this for HLJ - unlike BBTS if they say August they mean August :)

It's just a bugger of timing as we've had a ton of BIG bills come in :eek::o

drifand
21st August 2015, 09:08 AM
UW Menasor dropped into my private warehouse last night.

I will say this for HLJ - unlike BBTS if they say August they mean August :)

It's just a bugger of timing as we've had a ton of BIG bills come in :eek::o

You are not wrong but bbts is just US based which is why they take longer to get the items in stock.

The main praise for hlj is they do not scalp their prices.

BigTransformerTrev
21st August 2015, 09:23 AM
You are not wrong but bbts is just US based which is why they take longer to get the items in stock.

I don't have a problem with BBTS taking longer to get stuff. I just have a problem with them saying they will get something in a certain month and then it constantly getting pushed back. They really need to give more conservate and accurate estimates rather than these hopeful ones that never seem to pan out.

I have one (non-TF) item that has been pushed back every quarter for two years now :(

tinyJazz
24th August 2015, 03:59 AM
QTF Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp:

New TAV items including Microshooter Drift, Sideswipe & Stepper pack, Bumblebee Supreme mode and "Ground Beacon General":

Zippo
24th August 2015, 07:47 PM
I got my pre orders confirmed.

Megatran
27th August 2015, 09:34 PM
These cuties are available for preorder.

QT Crossovers QTC02 - Evangelion (3-pack)
(Unit 0 is yellow Optimus truck, Unit 1 is purple Optimus truck, Unit 2 is red Optimus truck - w/ new heads)

EDIT: https://www.hlj.com/product/TKT83591/Sci

Megatran
31st August 2015, 07:32 AM
Another odd-ball QT Crossover. Pre-order for October release.

QTC01H Hello Kitty Halloween (https://www.hlj.com/product/TKT82793/Sci) Edition 2015.

drifand
31st August 2015, 08:51 AM
I don't have a problem with BBTS taking longer to get stuff. I just have a problem with them saying they will get something in a certain month and then it constantly getting pushed back. They really need to give more conservate and accurate estimates rather than these hopeful ones that never seem to pan out.

I have one (non-TF) item that has been pushed back every quarter for two years now :(

I get what you mean, I guess is kinda tough in their case as they need to continue to chase items for customers with orders outstanding.

Hope you didn't get played out halfway stating they not bringing it in though.

griffin
26th December 2015, 03:49 PM
HLJ just shipped my Private Warehouse items today (Saturday)... which is pretty good.
I know they don't really do Christmas/Boxing day in Japan, but I didn't expect my items to be packed and sent until Monday (I did the shipment request last night, on Christmas day).

It's estimated to be 2-7 business days... so I wonder if I could actually be lucky enough to have it arrive by Thursday (4 business days) to count as 2016 acquisitions. I also wonder if the postal service would be clear of the Christmas backlog by now, as most presents would have been posted early enough to be delivered before the 23rd. (I would have thought the next couple weeks would be the quietest for the postal system, as many businesses are closed for a week or two to not be posting anything, while most regular people would be recovering from pre-Christmas spending to be posting much for a while.)

TAAUBlaster
26th December 2015, 05:20 PM
That's the good thing about ordering the late Dec/early Jan release stuff from Japan. There is usually very little hold up as far as online shipping goes - apart from the New Year Holiday.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high for a speedy delivery though griffin. This *is* Australia Post we are talking about ;)

Zippo
26th December 2015, 07:07 PM
I was very surprised to get a payment request on Xmas morning for Road Rage and then to get the shipment confirmation a few hours later.

Mine have already left Japan and now to see what day they arrive in New Zealand

GoktimusPrime
26th December 2015, 11:06 PM
Xmas in Japan is pretty much like Valentine's Day. There's lots of shopping and people get excited and stuff, but it's not a public holiday. Less than 1% of the Japanese population is Christian.

griffin
27th December 2015, 12:56 AM
Xmas in Japan is pretty much like Valentine's Day. There's lots of shopping and people get excited and stuff, but it's not a public holiday. Less than 1% of the Japanese population is Christian.

That might be why they don't have the tradition of Christmas, but it isn't a reason why they wouldn't adopt it if their retailers and economy needed another day of heavy consumer spending. Just look at how quickly singles day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles%27_Day) in China became a record breaking day of spending in just 20 years.
Only 11% of the Australian Population are devoted Christians (go to church)... so Christmas isn't big here because of its religious origins, it's big because of commercial marketing and the dependence of the Retail sector of the billions they want us to spent during this month.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2015, 10:44 AM
Dec 23 (Emperor's Birthday) is a public holiday. And Japan has lots of other public holidays throughout the year, including two different week long holidays (Golden Week and Silver Week). But yeah, Japan has plenty of public holidays, but just different from ours.

DELTAprime
1st March 2016, 07:27 PM
Just had another bad experience with HLJ. I got an email today about the Star Wars Black Series Kylo Ren and MP Hot Rod in my PW I asked last week to be shipped. They can not find the Kylo Ren figure in their warehouse. I know Trev had a similar issue with BBTS. I wonder if they have a theft problem at these places or if the staff are sending out the wrong products to customers. :(

Guess I'll have to buy my Kylo Ren from Big W now, but it's not the exact same figure.

BigTransformerTrev
23rd March 2016, 09:12 PM
Bit disappointed. HLJ have moved their release date of MP Shockwave a few days back which puts him 2 days outside of my current PW's time limit. I emailed them and asked them nicely if I could get a two day extension and this was their response:

Hi, Trevor-

Thanks for writing!

We're afraid that if Private Warehouse's 60-day clock runs out, shipment of items older than 60 days is an automated process. Time extensions are unfortunately not possible, as our Help Center explains:

http://support.hlj.com/hc/en-us/articles/200989874-Private-Warehouse-60-Day-Limit

Although it is unlikely, we hope it might arrive in time and enter your Private Warehouse in time for you to create a combined Private Warehouse shipment (it would not be included in an automated shipment; you would need to create a Private Warehouse shipment combining the items before the 60-day clock runs out), but we do not know if that will be possible.

We appreciate your understanding, and your business with us!

Best Regards,

Mark Kutsugi
HobbyLink Japan
http://www.hlj.com

Wont rant against them too much since it is their policy but it's disappointing that they wont do something I'm sure would take one of their techies less than a couple of minutes to arrange, especially considering I've been a customer for many years and have spent thousands with them.

Oh well

drahsrebu
24th March 2016, 09:22 AM
Just had another bad experience with HLJ. I got an email today about the Star Wars Black Series Kylo Ren and MP Hot Rod in my PW I asked last week to be shipped. They can not find the Kylo Ren figure in their warehouse. I know Trev had a similar issue with BBTS. I wonder if they have a theft problem at these places or if the staff are sending out the wrong products to customers. :(

Guess I'll have to buy my Kylo Ren from Big W now, but it's not the exact same figure.

Did they offer you a 20% discount voucher?

It happened to me once, and they gave me a 20% off voucher, which saw me getting a lot of the MP's at a great price.
Funnily enough the figure that they lost went back on sale and I ended up getting him anyway.

Megatran
6th April 2016, 02:35 PM
Fastest service I've experienced. Shipped Friday, waiting at post office today (Wednesday).

BigTransformerTrev
22nd April 2016, 03:42 PM
Fastest service I've experienced. Shipped Friday, waiting at post office today (Wednesday).

I got my notification for the arrival of Ratchet yesterday in my PW, but when I decided to add a couple of Q TF's on the order before having it shipped, it took a whole day to process my payment - very unusal for them.

Still awesome postage times for them usually though, hope it happens again this order :)

Omega Metro
22nd April 2016, 03:49 PM

I'm now into my 10th business day waiting for MP Shockwave from HLJ. SAL though. :(

Megatran
22nd April 2016, 05:29 PM
I'm now into my 10th business day waiting for MP Shockwave from HLJ. SAL though. :(
I thought that was pretty standard for SAL. Used it once, took about a month without tracking. Never again.

Omega Metro
22nd April 2016, 05:35 PM
I thought that was pretty standard for SAL. Used it once, took about a month without tracking. Never again.

Yes. I think I've learnt my lesson.:)

TAAUBlaster
22nd April 2016, 09:11 PM
I always use EMS from HLJ. Usually its not that much more than SAL, and it arrives much quicker and has tracking.

Megatran
22nd April 2016, 09:25 PM
I always use EMS from HLJ. Usually its not that much more than SAL, and it arrives much quicker and has tracking.
I think for parcels with higher weight it is more cheaper to ship via EMS. But don't quote me on that.

Also HLJ has relatively cheaper shipping cost compared to say AE. Does HLJ have a discount partnership with Japan postal service?

griffin
17th July 2016, 08:55 PM
Amazon could learn a thing or two from HLJ when it comes to shipping several odd-shaped items in a big box, by plastic wrapping the lot before putting it in a box...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/d223.jpg

Megatran
17th July 2016, 09:56 PM
Amazon could learn a thing or two from HLJ when it comes to shipping several odd-shaped items in a big box, by plastic wrapping the lot before putting it in a box...
Amazon uses a parcel box? Reminds me of this post by Lint. Just slap on a label sticker & out she goes. :rolleyes:

I'm no MISB collector but coming home to this %^& makes me cry :(
Shame on you Amazon.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ykf1c7.jpg

I actually didn't cry, but was still not very impressed :p

griffin
17th July 2016, 10:47 PM
Amazon uses a parcel box? Reminds me of this post by Lint. Just slap on a label sticker & out she goes. :rolleyes:

My photo of my Predaking is a couple pages after Lints... so yes, I've had the best and worst of shipped items.

SuspectimusPrime
18th July 2016, 04:28 PM

I find BBTS the best at tetrising boxes :) Had a huge box with a lot of odd-shapes inside (mix of Hasbro, third party stuff, and an anime fig for a buddy), and after taking everything out to inspect the contents I couldn't figure out how to get it back inside the box without the lid puffing upwards :p

Love it when online companies place this much time and attention to packaging.

drifand
4th August 2016, 11:08 AM
Wow I thought it was standard at least to brown wrap the box?
That's shocking even for a non misb collector as is very hard to resell it at a decent value.

Sinnertwin
12th January 2017, 05:49 PM
Another parcel arrived safe and sound in true HLJ style.
Wonderfully prompt service & delivery!

MrTrick
31st May 2017, 10:02 AM
Artfire and Godbomber dropped into my PW on Friday, shipped them both by EMS Express and it arrived yesterday! Normally I ship everything by SAL standard which takes 2 to 4 weeks (mostly 2 weeks) to arrive.

ZoonMaster5000
19th June 2017, 09:33 AM
Just shipped my pw, made good with the sale and picked up another Mp-31 delta and 2 UW Menasors which unfortunately doubled my shipping cost to $120:eek: not so sure any savings were made in the end.

JuzMel
5th July 2017, 02:45 PM
Anybody having issues with HLJ website recently? Just tried to buy some stuff but just can't see the total price and shipping?

ZoonMaster5000
5th July 2017, 03:31 PM
Anybody having issues with HLJ website recently? Just tried to buy some stuff but just can't see the total price and shipping?

I just pre ordered 2 mp-10b reissue and had no problems, though the processing seems to be different and just normal Paypal has gone which is a bummer

drifand
31st July 2017, 09:44 PM
$13 to ship my hi metal xabungle. Can't wait

drifand
31st August 2017, 09:10 AM
Received my item all well packed. Overall no major issues.

drifand
5th September 2017, 08:34 PM
Ordered Sh figuarts kabuto bike on sale yesterday. Today shipped.

drifand
28th September 2017, 02:41 PM
sh figuarts received well packed. no issues.

drifand
10th December 2017, 01:56 AM
Scored myself a metal build Gundam qant OO for a price lower than rrp.
This is one thing that a lot of retailers can't beat. Hlj loyalty to sell at non inflated prices.

Plus next day they shipped the item whereas ny took 5 days before they shipped an in stock item. But still better than a retailer that falsely advertised and doesn't ship or refund money.

Play it safe people. I recommend this store for tfs.

drifand
21st December 2017, 10:01 AM
Metal build Gundam OO Qant received before Christmas.
Unlike some store that lies to you about your orders.
Drama free and stress free.

Zippo
12th January 2018, 12:50 PM
This is more at DHL than HLJ, but I used DHL postage for the first time as it was a few dollars cheaper than EMS but promised to be here 1-4 business days (EMS is 2-7).

The EMS parcel that shipped out 3 days later arrived first..

drifand
12th January 2018, 01:02 PM
This is more at DHL than HLJ, but I used DHL postage for the first time as it was a few dollars cheaper than EMS but promised to be here 1-4 business days (EMS is 2-7).

The EMS parcel that shipped out 3 days later arrived first..

Apparently dhl uses Australia post when reaches Australia and Australia post priority to ems first.

ZoonMaster5000
12th January 2018, 01:44 PM
Apparently dhl uses Australia post when reaches Australia and Australia post priority to ems first.

I can 2nd this as my local postie told me this only the other day.

On another note I sent a shipping request last thursday only to for it to ship the following thursday morning. I emailed them on the wed asking why I havent got a shipping notice yet to which they replied "you don't have one because we havent shipped it yet" I thought no s@#t thats why I emailed you.

DELTAprime
12th January 2018, 03:46 PM
Well that explains why when a parcel I buy from Amazon US goes by DHL there's a little bit of a lag when it gets to Australia Post. Good to know.

griffin
12th January 2018, 07:24 PM
If DHL use Australia Post, that's so frustrating to know... because when I have something sent from America or Japan by DHL (if I didn't have a choice), I have to use a home address and make sure someone is at home to accept it (otherwise I have to drive all the way out to the airport to pick it up).
That's because, if DHL are handling the package within Australia (and don't just palm it off to Australia Post), they can't send it to a POBox, and they need a signature. I almost had a package returned to Japan because it was sent with my POBox address on it, and DHL couldn't contact me for a home address. Fortunately the seller was able to reach me before it was returned.
So now when I have to use DHL, I use my home address, and just have to risk missing the delivery (and then travel out to the airport)... or risk having Australia Post throw the package at the door from the footpath.

drifand
14th January 2018, 01:06 PM
If DHL use Australia Post, that's so frustrating to know... because when I have something sent from America or Japan by DHL (if I didn't have a choice), I have to use a home address and make sure someone is at home to accept it (otherwise I have to drive all the way out to the airport to pick it up).
That's because, if DHL are handling the package within Australia (and don't just palm it off to Australia Post), they can't send it to a POBox, and they need a signature. I almost had a package returned to Japan because it was sent with my POBox address on it, and DHL couldn't contact me for a home address. Fortunately the seller was able to reach me before it was returned.
So now when I have to use DHL, I use my home address, and just have to risk missing the delivery (and then travel out to the airport)... or risk having Australia Post throw the package at the door from the footpath.

Unfortunately DHL will not be able to post to PO Box or lockers. I have asked this when I noticed a Aust Post van delivered my DHL item.

DHL do have their collection points though which you can arrange.

Overall I just hope we get our parcels. I seen the horrible video in China where they just kick, throw ur parcels into the truck, it was so frustrating to see your Christmas goods being treated worst than dirt.

As much as there is a PILE of items, parcels should not been treated like crap.

From this ,it puts me off buying anything from China during Christmas or Chinese News Year season.

Zippo
14th January 2018, 01:34 PM
Remember I am not Australian, so Australia Post has no relevance to me.

The issue was that it just sat and sat and sat and sat in Hong Kong .. where as EMS comes direct

drifand
14th January 2018, 02:55 PM
Remember I am not Australian, so Australia Post has no relevance to me.

The issue was that it just sat and sat and sat and sat in Hong Kong .. where as EMS comes direct

yup. but I have no idea the "deal" DHL has in HK might be similar.

My DHL package sat in my local Deport for 4 days when ETA from DHL was before.

philby
30th January 2018, 04:23 PM
MP-36 sent on Friday evening, arrived today. $250 shipped via EMS. Pretty happy with that and fast response time to customer service emails :)

griffin
30th January 2018, 05:20 PM
MP-36 sent on Friday evening, arrived today. $250 shipped via EMS. Pretty happy with that and fast response time to customer service emails :)

Yeah... sometimes their shipping is lightning fast.

I think I've had on a couple occasions as well, weekend ship-and-arrive.

drifand
12th August 2018, 12:58 PM
Great service bought a figma figure that turned out to be completely different from what references on picture from website.

Return item got refunded both shipping and item and credit towards next order which it did no issue.

drifand
7th September 2018, 11:57 AM
Hlj refunded me and put towards my metal build Strike Gundam.

Item came well packaged and reasonable speed.

While it charged gst, their services are good.

GoktimusPrime
28th October 2018, 11:00 AM
Is anyone else having trouble shopping at HLJ atm? I've signed in and added toys to my trolley, but when I try to checkout to purchase them it tells me that my trolley is empty and won't allow me to proceed to checkout. Buh? :confused:

DELTAprime
28th October 2018, 12:34 PM
I bought a Novastar from HLJ yesterday. I had a hell of a frustrating time checking out. Turns out I had to create a new shipping address before I could check out properly.

Tober
28th October 2018, 01:08 PM
I had to sign out and back in again to finish a purchase yesterday as the cart kept screwing up. I didn't need to ship anytging though.

Dimi194
28th October 2018, 05:54 PM
Is anyone else having trouble shopping at HLJ atm? I've signed in and added toys to my trolley, but when I try to checkout to purchase them it tells me that my trolley is empty and won't allow me to proceed to checkout. Buh? :confused:

Their new site seems a bit work in progress tbh, but I bought some stuff yesterday with no issues

DELTAprime
28th October 2018, 11:51 PM
I'm trying to preorder a Encore Big Convoy now that they have taken it off order stop, but their site is acting like it's just been hit over the head with a shovel and has short term memory loss.

GoktimusPrime
29th October 2018, 12:26 AM
Their new site seems a bit work in progress tbh, but I bought some stuff yesterday with no issues
I asked a mate to see if he could order the toys for me and it didn't work for him either. :/ I've managed to get them from somewhere else, but still... pretty disappointing. I've messaged HLJ and hopefully they can resolve this issue.

kovert
29th October 2018, 12:08 PM
Had some issues with the HLJ Private Warehouse through desktop/laptop web browser. Funnily enough, the site process seemed to be fine through a smartphone browser. When the new version of the site was launched few weeks ago, I couldn't even pre-order.

While the old site wasn't responsive/optimised for mobile devices, it was reliable. Now it is flaky and slow to load.

Dimi194
29th October 2018, 01:12 PM
Had some issues with the HLJ Private Warehouse through desktop/laptop web browser. Funnily enough, the site process seemed to be fine through a smartphone browser. When the new version of the site was launched few weeks ago, I couldn't even pre-order.

While the old site wasn't responsive/optimised for mobile devices, it was reliable. Now it is flaky and slow to load.

Yep same here, hopefully they sort it soon.

Dinkydarth
29th October 2018, 05:07 PM
tried looking at their transformers sale page. Couldn't load. I hope they get this sorted soon. I've been a happy HLJ customer for many years.

DELTAprime
29th October 2018, 11:40 PM
HLJ wanted to work earlier today for me. Got my preorder in but it still took a bit of effort.

Tober
1st November 2018, 02:50 PM
I finally managed to place my order for MPM-6 Ironhide (https://hlj.com/transformers-masterpiece-mpm-6-ironhide-tkt11891) after about two days of cart malfunction.

Maruten
1st November 2018, 03:25 PM
I placed an order today with no problems at all, so fingers crossed and never give up on your dreams, or whatever?

DELTAprime
7th November 2018, 02:32 PM
I just went to order the April Siege figures. It fails to place the order and tells me to email HLJ support.

griffin
7th November 2018, 05:34 PM
It's disappointing to hear that they are still having problems.
I hope they fix it soon.

DELTAprime
7th November 2018, 09:38 PM
Well I found out they cut me off as a customer. I made too many order cancellations in the last year. (A large amount was when they decided to start using GST, other items I got elsewhere). I've apologized and they unlocked my account for purchases again. But I guess that means we can't use HLJ as a backup in case other sources don't come through.

Krayt
7th November 2018, 09:45 PM
Not the first time this has happened.... someone here used to order bulk for people then cancel what haden’t Been onsold by release date....

HLJ didn’t approve and he was cut...

Galvatran
7th November 2018, 10:45 PM
Well I found out they cut me off as a customer. I made too many order cancellations in the last year. (A large amount was when they decided to start using GST, other items I got elsewhere). I've apologized and they unlocked my account for purchases again. But I guess that means we can't use HLJ as a backup in case other sources don't come through.
How much in dollar value are you talking about? I’d imagine it would have to be quite sizeable for them to take such an action.

Maruten
8th November 2018, 08:26 AM
I think it's reasonably common for Japanese stores not to allow cancellations, or to to allow a small number and then get sick of it and ban you. I've seen that kind of policy on at least a couple of sites I think.

DELTAprime
8th November 2018, 12:27 PM
How much in dollar value are you talking about? I’d imagine it would have to be quite sizeable for them to take such an action.

They said 175,000 Yen. But most of that will be things like MP Dinobot, BW Megatron, God Fire Convoy and a bunch of smaller items I canceled when the GST came along.

yoshi594
9th November 2018, 08:19 PM
just got an email from hlj. they are now charging gst on shipping!

drifand
9th November 2018, 10:11 PM

Which was rightfully their mistake as other Japanese sites who does gst do charge on shipping.

DELTAprime
9th November 2018, 10:32 PM
I updated my post in the Australian news section with this news.

At least they are not asking for us to pay the GST they didn't collect.

Maruten
10th November 2018, 01:45 PM
Yeah. And it's better than refusing to ship here.

drifand
10th November 2018, 06:13 PM
If anything is Australia,I mostly suck it up as little can be done. I may not be happy but there is nothing you can do, other than buy elsewhere which compromises service.

kovert
10th November 2018, 10:24 PM
The weak AUD is also making matters worse.

Ravagecat
25th January 2019, 01:32 PM

I updated my post in the Australian news section with this news.

At least they are not asking for us to pay the GST they didn't collect.

Has anyone else noticed shipping costs have gone up a lot with HLJ. I don't have any numbers right this second to compare but the last couple of orders I've shipped this year seemed to be higher than I was expecting which made me question this...Maybe they are recouping the GST they forgot to collect by inflating shipping prices now :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
25th January 2019, 02:53 PM
Apparently Japan Post has had to increase their cost shipping due to a sudden surge in demand from the rise in popularity of online shopping.
https://www.nippon.com/en/behind/l10311/japan-post-to-raise-mail-rates-for-first-time-in-23-years-(news).html
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Trends/Japan-Post-gains-ground-as-parcel-delivery-stalwarts-struggle

Ravagecat
25th January 2019, 04:04 PM
Apparently Japan Post has had to increase their cost shipping due to a sudden surge in demand from the rise in popularity of online shopping.
https://www.nippon.com/en/behind/l10311/japan-post-to-raise-mail-rates-for-first-time-in-23-years-(news).html
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Trends/Japan-Post-gains-ground-as-parcel-delivery-stalwarts-struggle

both articles predate me noticing the increase but I guess it could still be an annual hike in prices (new year and all) like our own postal system seems to do regularly...

DELTAprime
25th January 2019, 04:47 PM
Thanks for pointing out the price hike Ravagecat. I had no idea they had increased the cost. Big Convoy dropped into my PW today. I had a look and it's $36 to ship him via EMS even before any tax is charged. Hopefully when my Anime Wheeljack and Siege figures get added next month to Big Convoy the total won't be too bad.

I'll have to re-evaluate where I buy my Transformers if this price hike is too much.

Sinnertwin
25th January 2019, 05:32 PM
After MP Dinobot, I'm folding with HLJ. My collecting has slowed down immensely. It's time to concentrate on filling the gaps and picking up the odd MP and a figure or two from new ranges.

drifand
25th January 2019, 06:07 PM
The only good point about hlj is that they don’t really increase the prices once items are in stock unlike a few stores like Nippon Yasaburo will do as they please.

Shirokaze
26th January 2019, 12:20 PM

This explains the hike in SAL service prices I noticed over the last few months. Ever since I got sprung 2700yen to ship a single doujinshi I don't even consider it over EMS anymore.

DELTAprime
22nd February 2019, 12:08 PM
Ouch, $45 to ship four items via EMS. I was tempted to ship via SAL but I really hate not having a tracking number.

GoktimusPrime
25th December 2019, 08:47 PM
Huh... so I was charged for MP Hound and I put my card deets in for payment, and usually straight after that the toy is processed for shipping. Several hours later I discover that the toy hasn't shipped but is sitting in something called a "Private Warehouse." :confused:

So um... I had to click on an "Add" button and then chose my shipping option and paid for that. So... I think (hope) that MP Hound will ship soon? :confused: This is all highly confusing. I'm sure it makes more sense to people who are more frequently online shoppers, but this is doing my head in.

Tober
25th December 2019, 08:57 PM
Huh... so I was charged for MP Hound and I put my card deets in for payment, and usually straight after that the toy is processed for shipping. Several hours later I discover that the toy hasn't shipped but is sitting in something called a "Private Warehouse." :confused:

So um... I had to click on an "Add" button and then chose my shipping option and paid for that. So... I think (hope) that MP Hound will ship soon? :confused: This is all highly confusing. I'm sure it makes more sense to people who are more frequently online shoppers, but this is doing my head in.

HLJ's Private Warehouse is an option that lets you delay shipping on multiple purchases for up to two months to save on combined shipping. HLJ will email you a shipping notification when your item ships.

dirge
26th December 2019, 11:52 AM

I got this too. I promptly went and shipped him. No biggie here.

Jaxius._
25th March 2020, 11:55 PM
Just wondering how expensive shipping tends to be?
I’m looking at ordering something from HLJ as it’s heaps cheaper than from an australian store (which is a first) but if shippings going to be something stupid I won’t bother.

To clarify I can’t get a shipping estimate as it’s a preorder

kovert
26th March 2020, 03:25 PM

If the item is an HLJ pre-order, perhaps find something on the site that you think will be a similar size and weight boxed. If it (ie the similar item) is in stock, you can put it into the cart and check the shipping cost. But there is no definite way to find out. If it's a one-off item it becomes more difficult to predict. They also have a rule where if the item exceeds JPY 15,000 then it must be shipped via EMS (more expensive). Remember to factor in possible fluctuations in exchange rate (worse when AUD goes down, of course) and the GST on both the product and shipping.

hYpNoS
29th March 2020, 11:11 PM
I’m looking at ordering something from HLJ as it’s heaps cheaper than from an australian store (which is a first) but if shippings going to be something stupid I won’t bother.

Best way to find out is find out the item's weight and check japan's postal rates, hlj is best used when bulk buying because of the private warehouse system which holds things for 2 months

Maruten
30th March 2020, 03:34 PM
I ordered MP Road Rage in September and the cost to ship her here was 730 yen (about $11 with today's terrible exchange rate). Same for three QTF Arcees.

A Drive Head box that was probably about the equivalent of two Voyagers shipped for 1380- yen ($20 now).

griffin
30th March 2020, 10:01 PM
$11? Considering you wouldn't be able to post it within Australia for less than $15, that's pretty good for international shipping.
In other words, if someone is wondering about shipping from HLJ, unless it is a huge heavy item, the postage amount should be pretty reasonable (and often gives me 3-4 options).

The Letter M
23rd April 2020, 12:32 PM
Anybody had issues with shipments being returned? I shipped MP-48 out before flights got shutdown, but it still got returned (presumably there was a large enough queue they couldn't get it out). Tracking shows it got back to HLJ 3 days ago and I've heard nothing.

hYpNoS
23rd April 2020, 09:37 PM
Anybody had issues with shipments being returned? I shipped MP-48 out before flights got shutdown, but it still got returned (presumably there was a large enough queue they couldn't get it out). Tracking shows it got back to HLJ 3 days ago and I've heard nothing.

What shipping service did you use, ems, fed ex, dhl or SAL?

Guessing it might have gotten caught, case of act before announcement or just a big old line (I'm concerned myself as I got a pre-order due and want to know what will get it out of Japan :S)

Krayt
23rd April 2020, 10:22 PM
They have had to cut back all but Dhl shipping options. But because of this, they have stopped the 60 day limit on the warehouse.

Just email their support... they are amazing and will get back to you

hYpNoS
24th April 2020, 12:23 AM
They have had to cut back all but Dhl shipping options. But because of this, they have stopped the 60 day limit on the warehouse.

Just email their support... they are amazing and will get back to you
But would dhl still be able to enter the country if I decided I wanted what I wanted now or best ask them to hold a bit longer?

Don't mind the extra, just the security is nice

The Letter M
24th April 2020, 09:05 AM
I sent it through EMS just before Japan post stopped sending to Australia, so it got returned to HLJ. The tracking showed it arrived 4 days ago, but it hasn't gone back to the private warehouse.

Krayt
29th April 2020, 04:19 PM
But would dhl still be able to enter the country if I decided I wanted what I wanted now or best ask them to hold a bit longer?

Don't mind the extra, just the security is nice

I've had DHL coming in from Taiwan.... so japan should be fine

The Letter M
29th April 2020, 09:18 PM
I've had DHL coming in from Taiwan.... so japan should be fine

DHL are expecting it to take 10 days from Japan to AU though. Services have slowed down significantly.

hYpNoS
29th April 2020, 11:12 PM
DHL are expecting it to take 10 days from Japan to AU though. Services have slowed down significantly.

Even so least you KNOW it'll come unlike other services right now

Maruten
14th May 2020, 09:54 AM
I had a DHL package come from HLJ about a week ago and they quoted a two week wait but it arrived in three days. They seem to still be doing okay sometimes at least.

nalops
24th January 2021, 10:00 PM
I wanted to get some Zoids kits from HLJ and ordered 2 that said were on backorder. 1 arrived and was placed in my private warehouse 2 days later.

The shipping cost with the first wasn't too bad but didn't know how much both shipped would cost so decided to compare the shipping cost with an in-stock that was roughly the same weight as both orders combined. Sadly, the cheapest option was 162 with DHL and I don't think I'm prepared to pay that.

I cancelled the backordered item and have asked to cancel/return the private warehouse one.

Has anyone been able to successfully cancel an item in their private warehouse before?

I noticed the site says something about 10 days since payment request, you'll get 100% back and it's now day 4 since I was charged.

Any help would be appreciated.

Krayt
25th January 2021, 12:07 AM
It could have been an error, or just the size of the 2 together being to much. I sometimes have 10 different things in my warehouse, and chop and change working out the best shipping combination. Sometimes seperate is cheaper

But with Covid still affecting flights, the limit in PW is gone and you could have just held them till the cost comes down

Tober
25th January 2021, 12:59 AM
I haven't had problems cancelling with hlj. But it's NOT something you want to make a habit of.

nalops
25th January 2021, 09:06 AM
Oh ok. I saw the 60 days and then 10 days for a full refund and somewhat panicked. The item in my private warehouse could be shipped by Air small packet for 30ish but the no tracking scares me a bit.

Ok, that's good. I understand, saw something about account being suspended/deleted.

I'll probably try them again once shipping options open up.

Thanks Krayt and Tober.

nalops
25th January 2021, 11:31 AM
Have been advised to try and use a freight forwarder. Emailed HLJ stating that if they're happy for it to be shipped to the forwarder, then I'd like to keep my order, otherwise I'd prefer getting a refund.

Skyfire
1st September 2022, 10:49 PM
So here's something that I think I have learned (unless someone can inform me I'm wrong) about payments to HLJ:

A long time ago I had set up someone else's PayPal account to my HLJ account (with permission of course) and forgot about it. So I bought something and wondered how I never got charged. Then I realised the old setup. The thing I bought was charged via that person's PayPal and they got the usual PayPal receipt with HLJ on it, and the JPY and AUD amounts, and the applied exchange rate. So, I went into my HLJ account and updated the Payment Method to PayPal (choosing the PayPal option and then Update Payment) and I left the Payment Currency as AUD. This opened a PayPal window for me to add an automatic biller to my PayPal account. What I didn't grasp was that the automatic biller was With Reach (Australia) Pty Ltd, and not HLJ directly. So when I bought something else next, I was surprised to see I had paid about $5 more than I expected (given the exchange rate from the previous purchase), that I didn't get the usual PayPal receipt showing me the exchange rate applied, and also that the biller was With Reach. So I went back into my HLJ account and updated the Payment Method again to PayPal but chose Payment Currency as JPY. Then, checking my PayPal account, the automatic biller showed HLJ. I then cancelled the With Reach biller.

So, I believe the moral of the story is to NOT choose AUD as the currency in your HLJ account setup, or payment goes via With Reach (through PayPal), which charges a poorer exchange rate or has some extra fee and there is no way to know how much extra you'll pay, or even how the extra was calculated. Instead choose JPY as the Payment Currency.

Also, since my items are ready, has anyone used Airmail Small Packet recently, now that Japan Post is back to normal? How long is it taking (to Perth)?

Skyfire
12th March 2024, 11:07 PM
I got my Missing Link C-01 and C-02 Optimus Primes from HLJ. Perfectly packed as usual - sturdy HLJ brand box and contents shrink wrapped onto a cardboard base that fits snugly onto the box base to stop rolling around inside.

Also, since my items are ready, has anyone used Airmail Small Packet recently, now that Japan Post is back to normal? How long is it taking (to Perth)?

It takes about 2 weeks, Skyfire ;).

Actually, this time I used a new option, which was the cheapest - ECMS Express. It took 11 days from the Thursday that the carrier collects from HLJ (every Thurs). It was tracked, but the Australia stage was not tracked well. It was tracked through customs and Sydney arrival but then the ECMS website stated, "Shipment is tendering to third party carrier for final delivery", which meant handing over to Aus Post. But it wasn't clear what the Aus Post tracking number was, so I used the "Delivery ID", not the "Tracking ID", and that was correct. But Aus Post and ECMS sites didn't didn't inform me about it leaving Sydney. Next thing I knew the parcel was in Perth and for delivery the next day. I was a bit worried for a week wondering when it was going to leave Sydney.

Anyway, ECMS worked in the end.