PDA

View Full Version : The Transformers: The Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: 20th Anniversary Ed.

millhouse
31st January 2014, 02:08 AM
Okay, since the score has finally been given a proper release, I figured I'd finally pick up the 20th Anniversary Edition of the soundtrack.

The problem? It's now out of print (seriously, check out the prices on Amazon!).

Having tracked one down via JB Hi-Fi, I figured I'd offer other members the details needed to make things nice and easy!

JB Hi-Fi might still have stock kicking around in stores around the country. I ordered from Malaga, WA (there are none left in WA) and a Software Advisor snagged it from an east coast store for me. It arrived 2 business days later at a cost of a pretty reasonable $14.99. It's the US release, and JB stocked it as an import. This means if you're a JB staff member, they'll have to manually calculate the cost price because it's not in the system (fun fact!).

Anyway...

Contact your nearest store and ask if they could check if they have a CD for you. It's listed in the system as "TRANSFORMERS - THE MOVIE (20th Anniversa" (although the last part might be truncated only on the receipt.

The information you can provide to help them out is the SKU (internal JB stock code) number. For this release, the SKU is 208386.

I can't guarantee it'll be $14.99 (as imports are, if I recall from my time at JBs, sourced at various times at fluctuating prices), but with a SKU, they should be able to help. As it's an OOP (out of print) software title, they should be happy to transfer one in for you.

Hope this helps!

(Even better - the JB coupon sent through email at the moment is a 20% off CD one. Cost me $11.99AUD instead of being at the mercy of Amazon resellers? - BARGAIN!)

UltraMarginal
31st January 2014, 07:15 AM
I alredy have it, but sir your information is super helpful to anyone else. thank you for sharing

millhouse
31st January 2014, 01:23 PM
I alredy have it, but sir your information is super helpful to anyone else. thank you for sharing

My pleasure mate! I figured if I can help a boardie out, I might as well. Since I moved on from JB Hi-Fi, I don't have access to SKU information without asking or seeing it on a receipt, but it makes the JB staff member's life much easier!

DELTAprime
31st January 2014, 03:50 PM
It's still available on iTunes, no need to panic. Seriously who buys physical CDs anymore?

millhouse
31st January 2014, 03:57 PM
It's still available on iTunes, no need to panic. Seriously who buys physical CDs anymore?

I do, and personally, I refuse to buy digital unless there's no other options available. Especially considering iTunes is no-where near the audio quality of a CD. I can go back to my CD and rip it again in better quality if I want to. If I buy iTunes, it's useless.

Add insult to injury, I recall the Chilli Peppers' bassist coming out against people downloading pirated copies of their (then) new album, bemoaning the sound quality of an MP3.

The band then expected people to buy (even lower quality than the pirated versions) iTunes, in order to access an exclusive pre-sale for their tour. Scumbags.

UltraMarginal
31st January 2014, 04:46 PM
I do, and personally, I refuse to buy digital unless there's no other options available. Especially considering iTunes is no-where near the audio quality of a CD. I can go back to my CD and rip it again in better quality if I want to. If I buy iTunes, it's useless.

this^
and I like to have them on a rack, pick one out, enjoy the cover art and liner notes and play the album in the stereo.
I have my entire collection ripped to my computer and phone for listening not at home.

DELTAprime
31st January 2014, 05:17 PM
play the album in the stereo.

You people must be a lot older than me to use a "stereo".:p

iTunes is far from useless. It's unprotected so you can use it on any device that supports AAC. AAC is higher quality than MP3 (and yes I agree MP3 is crap). Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned CD's are not great audio quality anyway, you want good quality audio go buy Vinyl. AAC is much closer to CDs than you think, but they both pale in comparison the vinyl.

UltraMarginal
31st January 2014, 05:35 PM
You people must be a lot older than me to use a "stereo".:p

Fine, you got me, it's a Bluray player/set top box/dvr and it plays through the Pioneer Reciever into the 5.1 channel Wharfedale audio system.

Stereo is just easier to say:D

millhouse
31st January 2014, 06:19 PM
iTunes is far from useless. It's unprotected so you can use it on any device that supports AAC. AAC is higher quality than MP3 (and yes I agree MP3 is crap). Quite frankly as far as I'm concerned CD's are not great audio quality anyway, you want good quality audio go buy Vinyl. AAC is much closer to CDs than you think, but they both pale in comparison the vinyl.

Vinyl has far better dynamic range, but the downside is it's less consistent. Other than that, I agree with you on the merits of records.

Contextually, I meant that iTunes (as in the iTunes store) is useless as far as getting a better quality rip if down the line (like I did some years ago) I decide that I want to increase the quality of my rips. As an iTunes user, I'm aware there's no DRM.

If iTunes offered lossless options for purchase, I might be more interested, other than that, I'll continue to pass.

MP3 < AAC < Audio CD < vinyl on a quality player with a mint record and a clean stylus

:P

Hursticon
12th February 2014, 09:50 PM
Many thanks for all of the information & details you've shared Millhouse; my Brother found it all extremely facilitating (He's a JB Hifi employee ;)) and managed to procure me 1 of the 3 remaining copies available in the nation! :eek: - Sourced from Geelong no less. :D

BigTransformerTrev
13th February 2014, 08:52 AM
I love that cd, I put it on at least once when we do the 11 hour drive to my wife's parents house. The only thing is I've listened to it that many times that it's starting to jump during 'Dare to be stupid'.

Oh well, I'm guessing, if we are lucky, in two years time they will bring out the 30th Anniversary soundtrack :D;)

Hursticon
20th February 2014, 08:22 PM
Today I received my copy of this glorious CD, courtesy of my Brother; coupled with the Intrada "Score" album, I now have a hard copy of all the music used within the '86 Transformers Movie! :D:cool:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/2014%20Acquisitions/20-02-14-07_zpsd163fa16.jpg~original