PDA

View Full Version : G1 Megatron transformation help

DELTAprime
2nd February 2014, 07:21 PM
I just opened my TFC Megatron reissue. This is the first time I've ever played with a G1 Megs. I'm trying to get him back into gun mode but I'm finding that the chest won't collapse back down and stay in place. How do I get his chest and the launcher mechanism back to gun mode?

Update. Got Megatron's launcher mechanism disassembled. I couldn't straighten it out with boiling water. What would be the best way to heat the plastic to make the shaft straight?

Ultra Mackness
2nd February 2014, 07:44 PM
On mine, all I needed to do was to rotate the barrel around so it is sticks straight out from the side of the chest. There should be a small peg on top of the barrel at the end which fits in the chest which fits in a hole on the inside of the upper chest part. After that all you should have to do is press the upper chest part down, although you may need to align the trigger section, chest and barrel before it allows you to do so. Mine required a bit more force than my actual G1 megs, but not much more.

DELTAprime
2nd February 2014, 08:07 PM
Alright, got him back into gun mode. The shaft of plastic (or metal not sure) that links the launcher mechanism to the trigger mechanism is bent and not going straight into its slot (great qc Takara of 10 years ago). How would i go about opening the chest to straighten the shaft?

Edit: got it off, just held on with clips. I'm guessing it shouldn't look like this. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21116457@N06/12265086565/) Time to boil some water to straighten it out.

Sinnertwin
3rd February 2014, 06:14 PM
How'd you go with the repair work?

DELTAprime
3rd February 2014, 07:35 PM
The boiling water is not hot enough to bend it back. What would be the next heat source to try?

Sky Shadow
3rd February 2014, 10:05 PM
The boiling water is not hot enough to bend it back. What would be the next heat source to try?

Maybe a hairdrier?

If that doesn't work, is the part easily removable from the rest of the torso? There might be a bunch of Ozformers with junker Megatrons that have that part intact.

DELTAprime
3rd February 2014, 10:22 PM
Maybe a hairdrier?

If that doesn't work, is the part easily removable from the rest of the torso? There might be a bunch of Ozformers with junker Megatrons that have that part intact.

The problem will be that the part was probably removed on Hasbro's Megatron's. The firing gimmick its self was removed by Hasbro so I'm guessing repair will be easier than waiting for Takara G1 Megatron junker to show up.

Sky Shadow
3rd February 2014, 10:35 PM
The problem will be that the part was probably removed on Hasbro's Megatron's. The firing gimmick its self was removed by Hasbro so I'm guessing repair will be easier than waiting for Takara G1 Megatron junker to show up.

Maybe, but there have been about eight releases of the Takara version, and only one of the US version, in 1984/5, and that was even pulled from shelves in parts of Australia. So if anyone here does have a busted Megatron it could well be the Takara version.

5FDP
5th February 2014, 01:04 PM
Maybe a hairdrier?

Whatever you do, don't do this!! (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=350840&postcount=2)

heroic_decepticon
5th February 2014, 01:36 PM
I just opened my TFC Megatron reissue. This is the first time I've ever played with a G1 Megs. I'm trying to get him back into gun mode but I'm finding that the chest won't collapse back down and stay in place. How do I get his chest and the launcher mechanism back to gun mode?

Update. Got Megatron's launcher mechanism disassembled. I couldn't straighten it out with boiling water. What would be the best way to heat the plastic to make the shaft straight?

I know what caused the issue and the plastic piece to be deformed. It's a pretty common transformation error and does permanently botch up a Japanese release with spring mechanism G1 Megs.

When transforming from gun to bot, you must always pull up the chest piece before you rotate it 90 degrees at the waist. If you only pull up the chest piece after you have rotated it 90 degrees (as most people, including me in the past do), you will botch up the internal mechanism - and then you cannot properly slide it back down when transforming to gun again.

This does not happen to USA releases or Megs, or any release of Megs without the pellet firing mechanism, but certainly applies to TFC Megs which has the pellet firing mechanism.

UltraMarginal
5th February 2014, 02:24 PM
I know what caused the issue and the plastic piece to be deformed. It's a pretty common transformation error and does permanently botch up a Japanese release with spring mechanism G1 Megs.

When transforming from gun to bot, you must always pull up the chest piece before you rotate it 90 degrees at the waist. If you only pull up the chest piece after you have rotated it 90 degrees (as most people, including me in the past do), you will botch up the internal mechanism - and then you cannot properly slide it back down when transforming to gun again.

This does not happen to USA releases or Megs, or any release of Megs without the pellet firing mechanism, but certainly applies to TFC Megs which has the pellet firing mechanism.

That is good to know. thanks for sharing Heroic