PDA

View Full Version : Grimlock's transforming crown coin?

evandouglas86
7th February 2014, 08:34 PM
I recently received the latest mp grimlock reissue from bbts. It came with the flame sword and supposed transforming coin crown... Just one thing- It doesn't transform! What the hell? Its just a gold painted crown in cheap packaging plastic that is shaped like a coin. When did they decide this? Did anyone receive an email stating that the crown they already purchased would not transform any more but instead be just a normal crown? It's a nice crown and all, but I guess I'm fairly disappointed as a crown coin would have been nice and it's what I first paid for... Did anyone else get this as well?

CBratron
7th February 2014, 08:46 PM
This is the first time I've heard of the coin transforming into a crown.
Where did it say this?

Bidoofdude
7th February 2014, 09:21 PM
This is the first time I've heard of the coin transforming into a crown.
Where did it say this?

It was on all the listings across various sites.

DELTAprime
7th February 2014, 09:21 PM
They called it a crown coin (as in a coin with a crown embossed on it), they never said it transformed.

Bidoofdude
7th February 2014, 09:24 PM
They called it a crown coin (as in a coin with a crown embossed on it), they never said it transformed.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/mp08-masterpiece-grimlock-reissue-with-crown-coin-flame-sword/28569/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-grimlock-mp-08-reissue-with-crown-coin-flame-sword-178583/

"This figure includes a bonus coin that converts to a crown and flame cover that goes on his sword. The box will be the same as the original MP-08 box."

DELTAprime
7th February 2014, 09:27 PM
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/mp08-masterpiece-grimlock-reissue-with-crown-coin-flame-sword/28569/
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/masterpiece-grimlock-mp-08-reissue-with-crown-coin-flame-sword-178583/

"This figure includes a bonus coin that converts to a crown and flame cover that goes on his sword. The box will be the same as the original MP-08 box."

Notice they are both quoting TFSource, not Hasbro. Hasbro never said it would transform.

lancalot
7th February 2014, 09:32 PM
I was so surprised also ..I first thou that I was dooped out of a coin! thinking they took the coin and place the crown in there for postage and forgot to put a coin back in! .. I wanted a coin !!.... but at least it a diecast crown which is cool... :cool:

liegeprime
7th February 2014, 11:38 PM
good thing I read this thread before I bought the coin online. otherwise I would've thought I was duped as well. The embossed black case ( supposedly a coin shape) contains the crown indeed inside - hence Crown coin... but I do wish they made a coin as well :(. The crown is nice and all but I'm more into getting a coin as well since there's been a lot of these coins lately ive been getting it all and Im down to my last so far - the MP Nemesis Prime coin left to get.
I like the sleeve flame effect too. Although it negates the light up feature of the figure as the sleeve isn't translucent.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/2014%20Acquisitions/DSC04308_zpsfadcb54e.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/liegeprime/media/2014%20Acquisitions/DSC04308_zpsfadcb54e.jpg.html)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/2014%20Acquisitions/DSC04310_zpsa08ccdf8.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/liegeprime/media/2014%20Acquisitions/DSC04310_zpsa08ccdf8.jpg.html)

Sinnertwin
7th February 2014, 11:46 PM
Liege,
MP10B coin is available at BbTS for $8, if you have a PoL

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11785&mode=retail

liegeprime
7th February 2014, 11:52 PM
Liege,
MP10B coin is available at BbTS for $8, if you have a PoL

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11785&mode=retail

wwwoooohhoooo !!! Thanks man! that completes my coin collection :D:D

evandouglas86
8th February 2014, 01:43 AM

Yes, that is right, and was on the original email that bbts sent me lol

evandouglas86
8th February 2014, 01:54 AM

This is a direct copy and paste from the bbts email-

| BigBadToyStore Newsletter | Oct 11, 2013 |

Hi - Want daily product news and updates? Check out our Facebook page and Twitter!

MP-08 MASTERPIECE GRIMLOCK REISSUE WITH CROWN COIN AND FLAME SWORD
This Takara reissue will include two bonus items - a coin that converts into a crown for Grimlock, and a flame sheath to enhance his sword. He is priced at $199.99.
:-/

evandouglas86
8th February 2014, 01:58 AM
I was so surprised also ..I first thou that I was dooped out of a coin! thinking they took the coin and place the crown in there for postage and forgot to put a coin back in! .. I wanted a coin !!.... but at least it a diecast crown which is cool... :cool:

Lol yer man, I'm hearing ya. Exactly how I felt. I opened the crown packet, then starred at it for a sec then re-searched the whole pack twice haha

DELTAprime
8th February 2014, 02:19 AM
This is a direct copy and paste from the bbts email-

| BigBadToyStore Newsletter | Oct 11, 2013 |

Hi - Want daily product news and updates? Check out our Facebook page and Twitter!

MP-08 MASTERPIECE GRIMLOCK REISSUE WITH CROWN COIN AND FLAME SWORD
This Takara reissue will include two bonus items - a coin that converts into a crown for Grimlock, and a flame sheath to enhance his sword. He is priced at $199.99.
:-/

So BBTS also made shit up also. As I said, Hasbro never said it transforms.

Seraphim Prime
8th February 2014, 10:16 AM
Could the "transforming coin" description been a mistranslation that all the stores then carried the ball with?

drifand
8th February 2014, 10:54 AM
So BBTS also made shit up also. As I said, Hasbro never said it transforms.

I didn't know Hasbro has any say in it, I thought this was a Takara re-issue and that was it.

But anyway.....I want the crown not the coin.

DELTAprime
8th February 2014, 11:49 AM
It was reissued by Hasbro HK in Hong Kong, not Takara in Japan. Hasbro HK sells both Hasbro and Takara product.

evandouglas86
8th February 2014, 02:06 PM
Lol well sounds like a bit of faulse advertising to me for their 'converting' coin. I gues I would have appreciated them letting me know. Maybe that is me being too not picky...but still

drifand
8th February 2014, 02:20 PM
Lol well sounds like a bit of faulse advertising to me for their 'converting' coin. I gues I would have appreciated them letting me know. Maybe that is me being too not picky...but still

Well...I would have gone by pics not just what they say.
But like what it was said, the ad had nothing to do with the manufacturer's claims or anything to indicate a transforming crown.

griffin
8th February 2014, 04:23 PM
Problem was, the crown/coin debacle was not known until AFTER it was released, and people had already had it ordered/paid for.

And even now, months later, the truth hasn't circulated enough through the fandom to counter-act all the false reports of the initial listing.... so it's not the fault of buyers to believe that they are getting a "transforming crown/coin" if news sites and the three biggest fandom toy dealers claim it.

It's hardly the first time a toy dealer has just run with what other dealers have posted, just to get a pre-order listing out there to compete... but is their fault so many fans thought they were getting a convertible crown, or at the very least, a coin - neither of which proved to be true. Even the photos of the "coin" look like a regular TFs coin.

Buyers should be careful, but sellers need to inform customers as soon as the product "changes" from the original listing.

evandouglas86
8th February 2014, 04:32 PM
Well...I would have gone by pics not just what they say.
But like what it was said, the ad had nothing to do with the manufacturer's claims or anything to indicate a transforming crown.

Yer, I hear what your saying, but they were using old pics at the time of previous models and when such a large and somewhat highly professional company such as bbts send you an email with an exclusive product clearly stating -'coin that converts into a crown' then you just take their word for it. You don't think "oh well hang on, I'd better do my research through the entire web just to make sure that what I've read is correct." I just thought "Sweet, brand new grimlock for the same price as the lowest 2nd hand one on eBay, with flame sheath and a coin that converts into a crown." I guess next time I will

Ultra Mackness
9th February 2014, 09:25 AM
I received mine this week. I like the flame sheath but I am disappointed with the fact that the "coin" is really not a coin. In fact I think that the word "coin" is the misleading word in the description. The crown comes in a box. The box is black plastic that is cyllindrical, hollow inside and has particular words and shapes similar to previously released MP coins. But it's still a box.

I got mine from ebay but the description was cut and pasted. I jumped on it because, like others here, I am collecting the MP coins, and I don't want to wait until supply drops and I have to pay $50+ for one. The flame sword sheath is cool (not $30 cool, but still cool) however, had I known that there wasn't actually a coin, I wouldn't have bought it.

lancalot
9th February 2014, 12:42 PM
Occhhh Ultra Mackness $50 is a lot for it ....I posted about it straight away when I first received it ... just to let people know ....

Ultra Mackness
9th February 2014, 02:10 PM
I only paid $30 for mine Lancalot (sorry if I gave the wrong impression), I can just see prices going north for these sorts of items after a very short time. I bit on this one as I don't want to pay any more than I have to but I also don't want to miss out. I'm probably my own worst enemy! :o

evandouglas86
10th February 2014, 03:12 AM
I only paid $30 for mine Lancalot (sorry if I gave the wrong impression), I can just see prices going north for these sorts of items after a very short time. I bit on this one as I don't want to pay any more than I have to but I also don't want to miss out. I'm probably my own worst enemy! :o

Ouch yer, I can see them sky rocketing very high

kup
12th February 2014, 12:12 PM
Yeah I also got duped on this. I thought I would be getting the flame 'blade', the crown and a COIN! :confused:

Only did I discover that the so called coin is just a thin plastic container with the crown inside. I have also been collecting MP coins so this is pretty disappointing! I would have personally preferred a real coin since that is what I would be buying this thing for and anyone who would be buying the Asian Ex. Grimlock would be getting a crown anyways!

Whoever thought this was a good idea is stupid...I hope lots of people are pissed and force them to release a real coin but I doubt it as they probably wouldn't care enough to.

griffin
12th February 2014, 01:39 PM
Hasbro HK do have more care/interest in the fans, based on all the exclusive and JP items they release... and then over-price based on what they know the fandom is willing to pay (or currently paying on previous versions). :p
Considering that they produce so many extra items for their toys (like coins and headphone jacks), I think this might have just been a creative mis-calculation. Someone at Hasbro HK probably thought it looked like a neat storage feature (and it would have been, if they didn't now have a tradition of Coins and a following of fans of Coins).
It will be interesting to see what they do to respond to it, as Hasbro HK has established some significant ties with the collectors, conventions, and collector online stores.

lancalot
12th February 2014, 02:11 PM
But you have to remember that these item are actually FREE with the figure .... And they were nice enough to give use two item with him and diecast as well and not the plastic one ,like the Hasbro.... So if too many people complain ...wouldn't it be easier for them to not bother with the extra at all..?

drifand
12th February 2014, 02:21 PM
But you have to remember that these item are actually FREE with the figure .... And they were nice enough to give use two item with him and diecast as well and not the plastic one ,like the Hasbro.... So if too many people complain ...wouldn't it be easier for them to not bother with the extra at all..?

It would be easier and perhaps the most misleading was packing the coin shape package which mislead everyone that is a coin but is only a box for the metal crown.

If anything Hasbro Takara from HK had poor release of this version in this case. I honestly think the coin shape box was unneeded as it had caused confusion between those who wanted a coin and gotten a metal crown.

As stated, listing of this item should have been corrected.

griffin
12th February 2014, 03:53 PM

Ordinarily, yes... IF it were an item being released by TakaraTomy, AND at the same (converted) price. But this reissue was an exclusive to Hasbro HK, and the price was significantly higher if I recall. So any extras are part of their specific release, and factored into the final (wholesale) price.

millhouse
12th February 2014, 06:58 PM
The question that I honestly think should be asked is;

was most of the issues related to this down to mistranslation and miscommunication?

drifand
12th February 2014, 07:10 PM
Would say is the design fault of the coin box for a crown. Honestly speaking, at a glance I see a coin, not a metal crown. As a customer I would expect a coin from the pics. In honestly, I was happy it was a metal crown. :)

So even if is miscommunication, the item itself has mislead customers.

The crown should NEVER been packed into a coin box.

DELTAprime
12th February 2014, 07:41 PM
The plastic that the crown came in was not seen till release. People ponied up for Grimlock months earlier based on BBTS and TFSource's lie that the crown transformed into a coin. Very few people will have bought based on what the packaging looks like. Blame BBTS and TFSource.

kup
12th February 2014, 08:00 PM
There is also the fact that several MP toys (and reissues) in the last couple of years or so had coins. Who would have thought that they would change the 'coin' to this, specially when they know people are collecting them.

It sucks balls. I wanted a coin and a disposable single Oreo plastic container does not fit with my coin collection.

drifand
13th February 2014, 09:09 AM
The plastic that the crown came in was not seen till release. People ponied up for Grimlock months earlier based on BBTS and TFSource's lie that the crown transformed into a coin. Very few people will have bought based on what the packaging looks like. Blame BBTS and TFSource.

True, but is still a contradicting item. If you display the coin box nobody is going to think is a crown inside the box. And this is what Hasbro failed. It isn't actually the forums or toy shops that make this error, think about it.

I say the crown should have been exposed and the coin box was not needed.
The words coin crown should have not be even mentioned.

I bought this based on the main pictures I saw, and this was a flame sword and a coin like box. So as much as yes people earlier ponied up but even later people like myself had the impression it was a coin.

And it isn't a plastic crown in the end.

Do you buy a box of chocolates to see a bunch of gummy bears? This is exactly what it looks like unfortunately. The coin box has no relevance of the metal crown. so it is just a bad packaging and misleading too both customers and dealers.

drifand
13th February 2014, 10:54 AM
There is also the fact that several MP toys (and reissues) in the last couple of years or so had coins. Who would have thought that they would change the 'coin' to this, specially when they know people are collecting them.

It sucks balls. I wanted a coin and a disposable single Oreo plastic container does not fit with my coin collection.

No one, everyone would assumed it is a coin. Would we put optimus prime in a grimlock box? I am feeling for you guys, even though I have no care about the coin. I don't collect them, but as a customer I would have the impression that it is a coin not a crown.

evandouglas86
15th February 2014, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone,
I wrote a letter of complaint to bbts and they apologised for not having wrote an email for the change, and gave me the option of a full refund of the product, or a store credit of $12. I know, it's not much but it should be enough hopefully for a coin if they release one right? (Btw I have no idea what they charge for coins by theirselves). I can also post a copy of the exchange of emails for reference if someone would like to see

drifand
15th February 2014, 10:01 AM
full refund would require you to ship grimlock back and you be not in any advantage.

I say just take the $12 and be happy.

griffin
15th February 2014, 01:46 PM
That's pretty decent of them, to offer $12, or a return/refund. If I'd bought it for the coin and sword (because I already had the first one), I wouldn't have been too happy paying more for the second Grimlock and only ending up with a sword-cover and hollow coin case. (because the earlier version already had a crown)

I'm just glad I wasn't a coin collector, or else I might have chased this up. (I was one of the many who didn't find out that the "coin" was just a hollow case for the crown until it was posted here by Gasaraki (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=397634&postcount=67) some time after it was released).

evandouglas86
15th February 2014, 03:41 PM
Yep I think that's pretty fair and I'm happy with the outcome. And yer I went for the store credit