PDA

View Full Version : MP help

spiderken17
8th February 2014, 07:30 PM
Alright, so i have held back long enough but the sheer awesomeness of MP's has taken its toll. I am thinking of selling off some of my other collections to fund the purchase of some MP Transformers. I have a few questions that the wiki sites don't really answer and i would also appreciate some input from people who already have them. Basically i do not want all of them and i don't need extra's that don't go with the robot (coins etc). I am after the best cartoon style version for the money.
Here is a list of the ones i am after and the versions i think would be the best buy for me. Feel free to let em know if there are any add-ons kits that are worth getting or any other info i should know.
Optimus Prime - MP10 Is this the one that is in scale to the current autobot releases? Is there a Hasbro version?
Sideswipe - Takara
Streak - Takara
Prowl - Takara
Smokescreen - Takara
Red Alert - Takara
Starscream- Hasbro
Skywarp - Hasbro
Thundercracker - Hasbro
Soundwave and cassetes - Hasbro
Megatron - Takara
What is a rough price i should pay for these ?( i realise some will be expensive) Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Ken

Bidoofdude
8th February 2014, 07:43 PM
Alright, so i have held back long enough but the sheer awesomeness of MP's has taken its toll. I am thinking of selling off some of my other collections to fund the purchase of some MP Transformers. I have a few questions that the wiki sites don't really answer and i would also appreciate some input from people who already have them. Basically i do not want all of them and i don't need extra's that don't go with the robot (coins etc). I am after the best cartoon style version for the money.
Here is a list of the ones i am after and the versions i think would be the best buy for me. Feel free to let em know if there are any add-ons kits that are worth getting or any other info i should know.
Optimus Prime - MP10 Is this the one that is in scale to the current autobot releases? Is there a Hasbro version?
Sideswipe - Takara
Streak - Takara
Prowl - Takara
Smokescreen - Takara
Red Alert - Takara
Starscream- Hasbro
Skywarp - Hasbro
Thundercracker - Hasbro
Megatron - Takara
What is a rough price i should pay for these ?( i realise some will be expensive) Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Ken

MP-10 was available by both Takara and Hasbro, with Hasbro having lighter colours and paint on the eyes, which most prefer. Takara has more deadish eyes. Hasbro also has blue roller, whereas Takara's is silver.

You should be able to get the Takara cheaper (like $250+shipping for the reissue). Hasbro is extremely expensive, upwards of $275 plus a pretty hefty shipping cost.

He's in scale with all the recent cars and comes with a trailer that fits them.

Here's a link for RK's listing: http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp10re.html

The Hasbro version you can really only find on eBay and other sites for hefty scalper prices and killer shipping.

With Starscream, there is the older MP-03 mould and the newer MP-11 mould, which has lots of remoulding (mostly all for the better). IMO the MP-11 mould is superior, especially by reducing kibble and with a better headsculpt, as well as being way more cartoon accurate. The MP-11 also has a lighter blue and a slightly grey tinted white, whereas the Hasbro MP-03 is more of a bleach white and has weathering.

MP-11 is about $200 plus shipping from most sources, as it has had a rerelease as well. The Hasbro Thundercracker uses the MP-11 mould, whereas Skywarp uses the MP-03 mould, which is the same as the Hasbro Screamer.

All personal preference really.

A note with Megatron, MP-05 Megatron is scaled to MP-01, the original, much larger Masterpiece Optimus, so he is pretty off scale with most, if not all newer MPs and is way taller than Optimus, Soundwave and the cars.

His gun mode is also jumbo large and he is quite fragile, people have easily broken him and there is the hassle of getting a permit as well.

Soundwave and the cassettes, the only differences are that Hasbro's has yellow eyes and the cassettes don't have chrome on the chests (Frumble).

Soundwave just left TRU stores here and should cost you about $200 now with all the cassettes. The Takara is only packed with Laserbeak and has seperate cassette packs, which set you back about $60 each. Soundwave with Laserbeak can be found for about $150 though.

Sinnertwin
8th February 2014, 07:51 PM

*Yes & Yes. The Hasbro version was released here with a RRP of $149.99

Sideswipe - Takara
Streak - Takara
Prowl - Takara
Smokescreen - Takara
Red Alert - Takara
*All will scale with MP10. You won't be dissapointed. You can check their relevant reviews here for their orignal release prices & get yourself an.idea for comparison

Starscream- Hasbro
Skywarp - Hasbro
*These two are the old MP3 mold. This'll depend on what design you prefer: MP03 or 11

Thundercracker - Hasbro
*This is the new MP11 mold & varies in both colour & design to the MP03 design
If you like consistency between molds, you can get all 3 Seekers in the MP03 mould

*Released here at TrU for $149.99, which i suspect is long sold out

Megatron - Takara
*He will tower over MP10. This is better scaled with the MP01 mould.

*Check the online stores that we use like BbTS, Robotkingdom, TFSource, HLJ, eHobbyBaseShop, Anime Export and the likes.
The Lamborghinis for instance are being rereleased in another production run, the Datsuns are a recent release, so hopefully you should be able to pick them up cheap.
I'd post a more detailed reply with links to prices but my phone is on its last legs :o

Cheers, Ken

drifand
8th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Megatron is not in scale so it be an awkward piece next to mp-10 just a heads up. Also if you are not in WA, it may be a challenge to get one as it is not legally obtainable without firearms blah blah blah...you know the rest.

As for Starscream, I have the Hasbro and I tell you right now, I would trade for the Mp-11 version takara as it a better figure and transformation. but if you on a cheap budget, that will do.

lancalot
8th February 2014, 09:08 PM
also with mp10 There is the year of the horse optimus .. it the same but just with some gold paint apps on him and he got a clear trailer ... but he abit cheaper then a normal MP10 and might get release locally this year maybe ..so that an option if you don't want to pay too much for him but a lot of people don't like the gold ....
With starscream ... MP11 is very nice in robot mode and come with the cape an crown ..... the normal Hasbro starscream looks alittle better in plane mode but has the hip kibble in robot mode ....

You can skip megatron as he doesn't scale well with anything current , plus he abit of a floppy mess ....

I really like how the masterpiece line is going at the moment ...

Trent
8th February 2014, 09:30 PM
Bidoof pretty much nailed it.

Sooooooo,

What are you thinking of selling off?

WeallscreamforStarscream
8th February 2014, 09:32 PM
As far as I know all the Hasbro seekers are from the MP-3 mold yeah?

And Takara are all from the MP-11 mold?

Because I need to get me Thundercracker and is very hard to find and super expensive when he does pop up!

lancalot
8th February 2014, 09:38 PM

Because I need to get me Thundercracker and is very hard to find and super expensive when he does pop up!

old mold for the seeker are ALL the takara except for MP11, mp11s(sunstorm), Hasbro thundercracker and acidstorm are the new ones

Bidoofdude
8th February 2014, 09:47 PM

They had heaps of him on toysrus US last year. That's where I got mine. Was pretty well priced too.

drifand
8th February 2014, 10:30 PM
I didn't see one when I was there two years back. so tough luck.
Good luck in getting all your pieces. I surely do not have all so I am just being selective on mine and most current few.

DELTAprime
9th February 2014, 01:16 PM
Since you say you are after Cartoon accurate version go with Takara's Soundwave and Cassettes. The yellow eyes on the Hasbro version are not cartoon accurate.

Plus Soundblaster is coming up from Takara in March and he comes with the final cassette Ratbat.

GoktimusPrime
9th February 2014, 05:15 PM
Here are my recommendations if you're going for cartoon likeness.

Optimus Prime - Hasbro MP10
Sideswipe - TakaraTOMY
Bluestreak - TakaraTOMY
Prowl - TakaraTOMY
Smokescreen - TakaraTOMY
Red Alert - TakaraTOMY
Starscream- Hasbro or Takara USA Edition (http://www.xybertoys.com/catalog/images/tfmp_starscreamUSA_banner.jpg) or TakTOM MP11 -- the TakTOM ones are "cleaner"
Skywarp - debatable; Hasbro has a more G1 accurate body but has toy-accurate yellow eyes, whereas Takara's has cartoon-like red eyes
Thundercracker - Hasbro
Soundwave - TakaraTOMY; as DeltaPRIME said, TakTOM version has red visor whereas Hasbro version has toy-accurate yellow visor).
Cassettes - neither is more or less show-like than the other (e.g. TakTOM versions have chrome decos, Hasbro has metallic silver).
Megatron - TakaraTOMY

TakTOM Soundwave on the left, Hasbro on the right.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/Masterpiece%20Soundwave%20comparisons/mp_soundwavecompar02a_zpsafeadeb3.jpg

spiderken17
9th February 2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys. So i will probably ignore Megatron as he seems to be a pain. Starscream and Skywarp looks like its going to be a price thing. The rest of them are pretty straight forward. I reckon Prowl will be my first as he is my favourite Transformer (with Jazz).
In reply to Trent. I will probably offload some of my G1 stuff and non Transformer toys.

Sinnertwin
9th February 2014, 07:07 PM
If you've got no custom issues importing MP05 & want a cartoon accurate look, dont forget the upgrade kit

http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp05acc.html
$39.90 UsD
Gives him some extra stability in the legs too