PDA

View Full Version : Comic book thread ON!

Pages : [1] 2 3

piratescratch
5th August 2008, 10:59 PM
The Ozformers Comic book thread

Didn't see a comic book thread here that or search failed on me. Love comics, I'm sure we've got a handful of comic book fans here too, so I think a comic book thread is due.

I guess let's kick things off with what everyone is following/reading at the moment.

For me it's:

Astonishing X-Men
Avengers - The Initiative
Avengers Invaders (though I haven't been impressed with the current issues)
Invincible Iron Man
Iron Man - Director of S.H.I.E.L.D
Ms. Marvel
Mighty Avengers
New Avengers
Secret Invasion (and the odd Secret Invasion tie-ins)
Thor
Ultimate Origins
Uncanny X-Men (just started at #500)
X-Force
X-Men First Class

I'm contemplating Wolverine First Class and Young X-Men at the moment, whether or not to bother with them. I love X-Men First Class and that was the reason why I decided to give the Wolverine one a shot, sure Wolverine and Kitty team up is nice but so far the stories have been boring. Young X-Men I decided to give a look at it because I enjoyed New X-Men (Acadamy X) but first two issues haven't wowed me.

Yeah I'm a Marvel guy.

roller
5th August 2008, 11:05 PM
Ive always wanted to 'get into' the Marvel and DC universes, mainly because they are so big and famous

i mainly read stuff out of the blue, when i rarely have spare cash, i might pick a comic ive heard about or that has nice art or a few panels of humour.

Beano

Peter Bagges, 'The Bradleys' 'Appocalypse Nerd'

Transformers obviously, but i dont like the old marvel ones much

'The Simpsons'

"Pokemon Manga' the last time i bought an issue was in 2001, they dont sell it in Australia, and if anyone in Singapore wants to get me the english versions i would be super greatful:)

no much at the moment, I was thinking of buying 'the lost books of eve' cause the drawins look nice and it sounds like a neat read.

I read most of friends comics, Spidergirl, Kubushi etc

Paulbot
5th August 2008, 11:10 PM
I've been an X-fan since 1991 (second only to being a Transfan) but I wait for the trades these days. I'm currently buying:

Astonishing X-Men
X-Men: Legacy
Uncanny X-Men
X-Factor
New Exiles

A couple of other Marvel heroes:
Captain America
Daredevil
Runaways
She-Hulk
Thunderbolts
Young Avengers

All the Ultimate books:
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man
The Ultimates
Ultimate Fantastic Four

And for something from a Different Company:
Fables
Jack of Fables

STL
5th August 2008, 11:20 PM
I'd list mine but it's embarrassingly long. :o

I'm still predominantly a Marvel person though 2/5 of my list is DC these days. Marvel's lost me a bit at times. There are a few things I read in trade these days like Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men: First Class, Punisher: War Journal; Criminal.

Piratescratch, do u read the X-Axis Reviews? I find the reviewer to match my reading sensibilities a lot and so I go on what he says and he's most of the time right. I'd steer clear of Young X-Men, I reckon. That said, i think Wolverine First Class works well but wait for trade imo. THe covers aren't good enough to justify buying single issues. I like the First Class feel, it's very light and doesn't take itself too seriously like the main Wolverine title does. X-Men First Class is awesome too in its simple fun w/ the core of the characters.

I'm not reading S.I. at the moment even though lcz128 has lended the issues to me. I might even return them to him w/out reading them. I'm very curious but between limited time and all, I'm not sure I can be bothered. And that's excluding my dislike of Bendis... :D

I'm w/ you, Roller. The vast majority of old Marvel TF comics sucked. It's the new stuff that I prefer though I will admit that Space Pirates has caught me off guard by how good the story is until the sudden diversion to Headmasters when it's about Space Pirates?

Of what I presently read that stands out:

- Thor: but he's an all-time favourite of mine so I guess I could be considered bias
- Green Lantern
- Green Lantern Corps
- JSA
- Transformers: Space Pirates
- Daredevil
- Captain America
- Nova
- Marvel Adventures Avengers: very funny, light
- Criminal
- Madame Mirage: Paul Dini sure can write. I've contemplated readin's his Batman purely on the strength of this.

And I think a spoiler space should be left in the future in case this thread starts talking about the latest comics.

STL
5th August 2008, 11:22 PM
A couple of other Marvel heroes:

She-Hulk

That any good? I stopped as soon as Dan Slott dropped off the title and I heard wind of the new direction which I'm not very happy about.

Fungal Infection
5th August 2008, 11:57 PM
I used to splash out $150 a week on this habit but have cut back to less than $20 a week. I have so many comics stashed away (since 1989) that its unbelievably absurd. I'm looking to get rid of 3/4 of my collection, free to good homes but I still have to sort them all out. The space I gain from this should allow me to stash more toys.......

Gutsman Heavy
6th August 2008, 12:00 AM
I read bugger all comics bar TFs
I hate not knowing the "whole story" so it can make it hard to jump into pre-established cannon, I NEED to start at issue ONE, so all I got is marvel wise is
Ultimate X-men (vols 1,2,3)
Ultimate Spider-man (vols 1,2)
thinking of selling them since I can't be bothered buying the next trades.

I quite like Hellboy, but only have vols 1,2. I will get more one day.
Got one volume ("The Hard Goodbye") of Sin City that came with the DVD, haven't read it yet.
I do read manga, only get Berserk these days, up to vol 23, hardcore stuff.
Also have Neon Genesis vol 1-8 and dotHack: twilight vol 1-3 I want to get rid of.

Omega Supreme
6th August 2008, 07:46 AM
Another comic collector here, been collecting them for roughly about 10 years, not a huge fan but I know what I like. Currently Im collecting:

Transformers
The Incredible Hulk/Herc
Cable
Angel After the fall
Buffy Season 8
Spike After the fall
Thor
Gi Joe America's Elite
Red Hulk
Ultimate XMen

TheDirtyDigger
6th August 2008, 08:01 AM
I've been an X-fan since 1991

Such a youngling. I've been an X-fan since 84 when I got my first Annual.

I collect mainly TPB's but will grab some singles every month for fun.

The adult Vertigo stuff is my favourite

Finite series such as..
Sandman
100 Bullets
Preacher
Fables
Swamp Thing
Y the Last Man

Ongoing series like...

Hellblazer

Pre-Vertigo seminal works like

Watchmen
V for Vendetta

I was a DC boy before I was into Marvel so I love...

JLA (oldest comic I have from original series is from 1964)
GL and GL Corps (Hal Jordan was favourite boyhood hero)
Batman (lotsa lotsa Batman
Green Arrow
Legion of Super Heroes
Teen Titans
All the Crisis crossovers (I have the original 12 issues of the original Crisis. Favourite childhood story)

Marvel has become a very large and convoluted universe with often contrived titles IMO so I try to stick to (and get all) the Ultimate Marvel stuff but I do love the stories from their MAX imprint like...

Punisher
Fury

Other Marvel mini series like...
Marvels
Earth, Universe and Paradise X
Inhumans

Non mainstream and movie franchise comics I really love are...
Sin City
The Authority
Planetary
StormWatch (the Garth Ennis penned ones)
Conan (new ones from Dark Horse. beautifully painted stories)
Star Wars
AvP
The Big Books of...

And it wouldn't be right not to mention the comic books that got me into comics as a 5 year old (thank my Aunt mainly for buying them and passing them onto me every month) including....

Richie Rich/Casper/Spooky/Hot Stuff
Uncle Scrooge
The Smurfs
Asterix
TinTin

and of course....

TRANSFORMERS!!!

Few I haven't mentioned but I'll get around to it.

piratescratch
6th August 2008, 08:59 AM
Piratescratch, do u read the X-Axis Reviews? I find the reviewer to match my reading sensibilities a lot and so I go on what he says and he's most of the time right. I'd steer clear of Young X-Men, I reckon. That said, i think Wolverine First Class works well but wait for trade imo. THe covers aren't good enough to justify buying single issues. I like the First Class feel, it's very light and doesn't take itself too seriously like the main Wolverine title does. X-Men First Class is awesome too in its simple fun w/ the core of the characters.

Aye, X-Axis, along with CBR and Weekly Comic Book Review are the few comic book websites that I frequent.

X-Men First Class definitely is a nice change of pace from all the "serious" that's going on in most current running series. Quick and fun read with self contained stories for each issue (though some span two).

I'm probably going to pick up the new Spider-Man loves Mary Jane that starts this month as well because a) it should be an enjoyable easy going read and b) I liked the first Spider-Man loves Mary Jane title. Hehe.

My friend lent me Captain America: Winter Soldier TPB 1 and 2 the other day, it's sitting on my desk, I need to find some time to get through them. Could end up as another series to follow. :P

Bartrim
6th August 2008, 09:10 AM
I used to collect X-Men and X-Force comics back in the early 90's. I still love to read The X-Cutioners Song crossover.

My Uncle gave me a heap of comics a few years bach. One was an X-Men comic from like the 60's or 70's. It was an american release in mint condition but because the original store owner wrote .65c in big black texta across the front it was worth FA:(

TheDirtyDigger
6th August 2008, 09:13 AM
Just read the Wolverine: Old Man Logan 1st issue. Really great start.

Also in a hurry before and missed some more favourite finite series...

Transmetropolitan
Lucifer
Invisibles
Melting Pot

komikskolektor
6th August 2008, 09:58 AM
Secret Invasion.. Leinil's art rock!! Proud to be filipino:)

Paulbot
6th August 2008, 12:33 PM
That any good? I stopped as soon as Dan Slott dropped off the title and I heard wind of the new direction which I'm not very happy about.

I'm waiting for the first trade of Peter David's run (I think the hardcover is out but I can wait a few months for the cheaper softcover) but yes Slott's run was great - one of the books I really looked forward to each time it came out.

My friend lent me Captain America: Winter Soldier TPB 1 and 2 the other day, it's sitting on my desk, I need to find some time to get through them. Could end up as another series to follow. :P

I've never been a fan of Captain America, but I borrowed Winter Solider #1 and then went out and bought the next three trades because I loved it so much. I've really enjoyed it.

lcz128
6th August 2008, 01:32 PM
Currently reading:
Captain America
Invincible
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers
Avengers Initiative
Secret Invasion (plus random tie-ins)
Gen13

:D

Also, JIM LEE will be coming to town later this year!!! :D
In the process of putting together samples and a portfolio for that! :D

TheDirtyDigger
6th August 2008, 05:21 PM
I always felt that comics have had a major influence on my life, idealogy and other such intangibles.

Probably from a very young age....

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/216/rrks2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

loophole
6th August 2008, 06:21 PM
Currently reading:

Amazing Spiderman which im trying to get them all only about 200 to go:D
All Hail Megatron
Ghost Rider
Secret Invasion
Nova
Ultimate Spiderman

GoktimusPrime
6th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Old pics of my collection (I need to take new ones)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_marvel.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_dwidw.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_convention.jpg
...there's more, but that'll do. ;)

Burn
6th August 2008, 07:33 PM
It would take me ages to compile a list considering I download and read so many each week.

But some more lesser known titles that I would recommend.

Grimm Fairy Tales (modern day re-tellings with a twist on traditional fairy tales ... and big boobs)
Hack/Slash (great little horror/slasher book)
Witchblade (absoloutely LOVE the artwork)
Un-Men (hard to describe, just check it out)
Tarot - Witch of the Black Rose (mature readers only. Stories are so so, artwork is great, mostly because of the nudity :p )
Iron and the Maiden (it was a mini-series that featured some amazing art deco inspired art work and a great story to boot.)

Currently enjoying Secret Invasion, though this month seems to be stalling. But no where near as stalled as Final Crisis. That's a story that needs to seriously pick it's game or it will be overshadowed by Batman R.I.P.

And i'd have to say my pick of DC Comics would be Green Lantern Corps. Can't wait for the blackest night storyline that's coming up.

Marvel wise, absoloutely loving Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy (speaking of which, Annihilation and Annihilation:Conquest, great reads) and can't wait for SI to hit those books.

Golden Phoenix
6th August 2008, 09:35 PM
I am loving some of the Marvel events recently, especially the civil war.
I also like the IDW Transformers series. It has some good plots and the books are great. I'm not a fan of buying individual comics though, I am usually patient and wait for the trade paper back.

piratescratch
6th August 2008, 10:18 PM
Currently enjoying Secret Invasion, though this month seems to be stalling. But no where near as stalled as Final Crisis. That's a story that needs to seriously pick it's game or it will be overshadowed by Batman R.I.P.

The main Secret Invasion limited series is (I think) moving on quite well. Good revelations and what not in each issue so far.

Though I admit some of the tie ins have been a bit slow and a bit filler, I'm looking at some of the New and Mighty Avengers issues, I however love the tie ins for Avengers: The Initiative (favourite monthly read hands down).

Secret Invasion Young Avengers/Runaways I enjoyed, well the first (and only) issue that's out. But Secret Invasion Fantastic Four three parter limited series was sure boring uneventful fluff. Here's to hoping the upcoming Thor (this one's probably the one I'm most looking forward to), Spider-Man, X-Men and Inhumans tie in limited series end up being good. And I believe our beloved Deadpool kicks off his new series with a Secret Invasion tie in as well.

hotaru_oz
6th August 2008, 11:57 PM
I'm also an avid comic book collector, and have a healthy collection.
I also collect manga and have a fair amount of native language ones.
The sreries I'm collecting now
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-World of Warcraft
-Runaways
-Legend of Drizzt series
-Ultimate X-men
-All Hail Megatron
-Transformers Devastation
I used to collect New X-men and other Marvel series but my comic budget is quite limited :(
stupid rent and lack of employment >.>

STL
7th August 2008, 12:10 AM
And I believe our beloved Deadpool kicks off his new series with a Secret Invasion tie in as well.

I am very pissed off about Daniel Way writing Deadpool. He was going along perfectly fine before that. And from everything I've heard about Way's version, I'm not excited. In fact I'm :mad:

I always felt that comics have had a major influence on my life, idealogy and other such intangibles.

:D

I'm probably going to pick up the new Spider-Man loves Mary Jane that starts this month as well because a) it should be an enjoyable easy going read and b) I liked the first Spider-Man loves Mary Jane title. Hehe.

Likewise here but in digest form for me. I loved the original series actually... but I have to be honest I jumped on board b/c it had Gwen Stacy and she's one of my all time favourite Spidey characters.

oh and that brings up the whole schmuck that JMS did with her. It's so cringeworthy. I was reading a recent issue of Thunderbolts today and Osborn mentioned what he did to her and it was really jarring. It has to be the most f---ed up story I've ever read. Anytime I read it referenced elsewhere it totally throws me off.

Grimm Fairy Tales (modern day re-tellings with a twist on traditional fairy tales ... and big boobs)

I read an issue once. A mate of mine lent it to me and I have to say the twists are very disturbing on some favourite fairy tales. But is fair to say it's similar to Fables? (Something else I want to try down the line)

Witchblade (absoloutely LOVE the artwork)

Damn effing straight! I do think though Ron Marz has dropped off on the writing front though. #80-100 were so much faster and cohesive. Now it's stumbling along.

roller
7th August 2008, 12:15 AM
i also read the Tick whenever i can find it

Remember how you'd get cheap crappy comics with the Easter show bag?

I got 1 called the ex-mutants, about a bunch of humans with no powers after Earth is postnuclear war or somethin, ive always wanted to find more issues

Autocon
7th August 2008, 01:11 AM
Old pics of my collection (I need to take new ones)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_marvel.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_dwidw.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection%202007/Books/comics_convention.jpg
...there's more, but that'll do. ;)

i see beast wars comic!! :D
what its about? how does it tie in with the series?

and what is the Wreckers about? ^^ditto^^

liegeprime
7th August 2008, 01:12 AM
NIce of you to start this thread PS. :D

Im more of a DC boy, so most of my comics which Ive collected since waywayway back are DC.

MOst of the Annual events storylines of DC - e.g. DC One million, Final Night, Bloodbath, Millenium, Zero Hour, War of the Gods, etc

Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Identity Crisis, Crisis of Conscience, Final Crisis

JLA - Starting from the Big 7 series run - New World Order, still collecting it now, like the new line up, although Martian Manhunter for the very first time aint this incarnation and might never be since he got murdered ( or did he really??)- Also can be included here are the TPB of the funny JLI incarnation( I cant believe its not the JL, etc), as well as any one time spin offs/TPB with the JLA in it (e.g. JLA/Wildcats, JLA/Witchblade etc)

Any TPB release which has the Big 3 of DC in it ( Supes, Bats and Wondy)

Wonder Woman - George Perez run - love the research on Greek Mythos that goes into writing the series. Also the detailing of each character. Stopped collecting this after the 100th issue. Just collected some back TPB since then. Im a nut for Greek Mythos.

Green Lantern/ Corps - only bought the trade paperbacks of the more recent stories, including the time of the Corps War. I prefer Kyle Rayner than Hal Jordan.

Shadowpact- though sadly the series ended already. Just love magic stuff. I guess I can bunch into here as well all the series and short runs which involved magic in DC titles like - Judgement day (got the whole set crossovers - which led to the formation of Sentinels of Magic), Black Baptism, Day of Vengeance ( which led to the formation of Shadowpact)

LOBO - Somehow I find his books funny

OKies other companies

The Authority - all TPB, finally heroes who go all the way (read: kill the bad guys) :D includes crossovers - my fave The Authority/Lobo crossover TPB

Fables - this was just introduced to me by a friend here afew months ago, I was immediately hooked and still am. Cannot get enough - finally collected all 9 TPB of the ongoing series! Got The Good Prince TPB last Sydney meet. Includes 1001 Nights of Snowfall which I read during my flight back here from holidays in Phils. Sure saved me from a very boring flight.

Jack of Fables - I havent been able to get my hands on Book 2 just yet

Transformers - be it the old Marvel, DW, IDW, DD (well this technically is TF Vs GiJoe series - which I have complete) stuff I dont care I buy it.
Period.

The Pro - one time TPB release - got me a special edition for a Comic con - signed by the authors/artist - Really funny JLA spoof.

Stone- by Pinoy artist , series got cancelled due to very personal tragedies happening to the writer/artists life at that time. Shame :(

Sidekick - Funny as!!:D

By Pinoy artists/writers - so most of you guys would have no idea of these...

ZsaZsa Zaturnnah Collected edition - recently just made into a movie and a Stage Play
Lexy , Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll
Pugad Baboy Series - a fictional community of Fatties representing/mirroring in a satirical approach to the current events in Filipino lives. Started out as just comic strips in the local newspaper which turned into compiled books and so on and so forth.....

I've got heaps more but its mostly but not limited to DC titles and most are in the Phils still (3/4) - this is my next project on my next holiday. Ive already migrated the TF collection here so next comes the Comics Collection - which will be far, far heavier. Sigh, need more shelves.

GoktimusPrime
7th August 2008, 04:19 PM
i see beast wars comic!!
what its about? how does it tie in with the series?
That is Reaching The Omega Point (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Reaching_the_Omega_Point). :)

and what is the Wreckers about?
A new generation of Wreckers (http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Wrecker) on Maximal-era Cybertron. This story eventually spawned Transformers Universe.

piratescratch
11th August 2008, 04:38 PM
Comics for the week of August 6th.

Avengers/Invaders #4 - Much better issue compared the previous, some good progress and action was had. Still hate how they write Captain America in this with his "Duh everyone is a Nazi!" train of though and the art is real average. Nice to see ...

Bucky Captain America make an appearance and New Avengers stepping in and teaming up with the Invaders to take on the Mighty Avengers.

Sadly next issue won't be out until October which is a bit crap.

Invincible Iron Man #4 - I really like this Iron Man title over Director of SHIELD. Lacked in action made up with story development, I'm really enjoying this Ezekiel Stane story arc. Art looked a bit sloppier in this issue.

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane #1 - It's back! Nice art, much better then the person who picked up for the final few issues of the previous series after Miyazawa when he dropped it. Whilst it does continue from the first Spider-Man loves Mary Jane, this first issue is easy to jump into without prior knowledge. It's everything like the first series, more or less. Fun read, nice change of pace.

EDIT: We really need spoiler tags. :P

komikskolektor
11th August 2008, 04:57 PM
NIce of you to start this thread PS. :D

Im more of a DC boy, so most of my comics which Ive collected since waywayway back are DC.

MOst of the Annual events storylines of DC - e.g. DC One million, Final Night, Bloodbath, Millenium, Zero Hour, War of the Gods, etc

Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Identity Crisis, Crisis of Conscience, Final Crisis

JLA - Starting from the Big 7 series run - New World Order, still collecting it now, like the new line up, although Martian Manhunter for the very first time aint this incarnation and might never be since he got murdered ( or did he really??)- Also can be included here are the TPB of the funny JLI incarnation( I cant believe its not the JL, etc), as well as any one time spin offs/TPB with the JLA in it (e.g. JLA/Wildcats, JLA/Witchblade etc)

Any TPB release which has the Big 3 of DC in it ( Supes, Bats and Wondy)

Wonder Woman - George Perez run - love the research on Greek Mythos that goes into writing the series. Also the detailing of each character. Stopped collecting this after the 100th issue. Just collected some back TPB since then. Im a nut for Greek Mythos.

Green Lantern/ Corps - only bought the trade paperbacks of the more recent stories, including the time of the Corps War. I prefer Kyle Rayner than Hal Jordan.

Shadowpact- though sadly the series ended already. Just love magic stuff. I guess I can bunch into here as well all the series and short runs which involved magic in DC titles like - Judgement day (got the whole set crossovers - which led to the formation of Sentinels of Magic), Black Baptism, Day of Vengeance ( which led to the formation of Shadowpact)

LOBO - Somehow I find his books funny

OKies other companies

The Authority - all TPB, finally heroes who go all the way (read: kill the bad guys) :D includes crossovers - my fave The Authority/Lobo crossover TPB

Fables - this was just introduced to me by a friend here afew months ago, I was immediately hooked and still am. Cannot get enough - finally collected all 9 TPB of the ongoing series! Got The Good Prince TPB last Sydney meet. Includes 1001 Nights of Snowfall which I read during my flight back here from holidays in Phils. Sure saved me from a very boring flight.

Jack of Fables - I havent been able to get my hands on Book 2 just yet

Transformers - be it the old Marvel, DW, IDW, DD (well this technically is TF Vs GiJoe series - which I have complete) stuff I dont care I buy it.
Period.

The Pro - one time TPB release - got me a special edition for a Comic con - signed by the authors/artist - Really funny JLA spoof.

Stone- by Pinoy artist , series got cancelled due to very personal tragedies happening to the writer/artists life at that time. Shame :(

Sidekick - Funny as!!:D

By Pinoy artists/writers - so most of you guys would have no idea of these...

ZsaZsa Zaturnnah Collected edition - recently just made into a movie and a Stage Play
Lexy , Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll
Pugad Baboy Series - a fictional community of Fatties representing/mirroring in a satirical approach to the current events in Filipino lives. Started out as just comic strips in the local newspaper which turned into compiled books and so on and so forth.....

I've got heaps more but its mostly but not limited to DC titles and most are in the Phils still (3/4) - this is my next project on my next holiday. Ive already migrated the TF collection here so next comes the Comics Collection - which will be far, far heavier. Sigh, need more shelves.

Stone ROCKS heheheeh
have you read WASTED by Gerry Alanguilan?
Trese By Budjette Tan
my fave is arnold Arre

Paulbot
11th August 2008, 05:13 PM
EDIT: We really need spoiler tags. :P

Yeah we do... I've made your text white though (as well as small) so it's more hidden. :)

liegeprime
11th August 2008, 06:04 PM
Stone ROCKS heheheeh
have you read WASTED by Gerry Alanguilan?
Trese By Budjette Tan
my fave is arnold Arre

nope, not really. Is it available here?

komikskolektor
11th August 2008, 06:27 PM
nope, not really. Is it available here?

unfortunately their all philippines publication just like zsa zsa and pugad baboy.
gerry alanguilan inked whilce portacio's pencils on STONE, Xfactor, Tales from Darkness, also inked Leinil Yu's Silent Dragon, Fantastic four annual. He's photocopied WASTED generate rave review in the international comic scene, even Warren Ellis praised the book. I got one copy sent to me by Gerry himself, If you like you can borrow it of me.
Trese , you can read it online, kinda xfili-sh with a filo twist ( written in english ) just google budjette tan's blog. Arnold Arre's book I got a couple that you can borrow if you want.

Most of my comics collection are of those written or drawn by Pinoy artist, Leinil YU,Whilce POrtacio, Lan Medina, Carlo Pagulayan, Jay anacleto, Mico Suayan etc..:)

autobreadticon
11th August 2008, 07:15 PM
megatokyo - great story and characters (you can read it free online @ megatokyo.com)

i also want to start collecting and reading transformers and x-men (equivilents) comics

STL
11th August 2008, 11:24 PM
I just read Daredevil: Battlin' Jack Murdock. Great story. The art style really isn't my normal preference but it fitted very well and gave the story a very fitting and appropriate atmosphere.

liegeprime
12th August 2008, 07:25 PM
unfortunately their all philippines publication just like zsa zsa and pugad baboy.
gerry alanguilan inked whilce portacio's pencils on STONE, Xfactor, Tales from Darkness, also inked Leinil Yu's Silent Dragon, Fantastic four annual. He's photocopied WASTED generate rave review in the international comic scene, even Warren Ellis praised the book. I got one copy sent to me by Gerry himself, If you like you can borrow it of me.
Trese , you can read it online, kinda xfili-sh with a filo twist ( written in english ) just google budjette tan's blog. Arnold Arre's book I got a couple that you can borrow if you want.

Most of my comics collection are of those written or drawn by Pinoy artist, Leinil YU,Whilce POrtacio, Lan Medina, Carlo Pagulayan, Jay anacleto, Mico Suayan etc..:)

Oh okies. If your coming to the Parramatta Fair mebbe you can bring it along , Im a fast reader anyway, Ill borrow it while there and read it there immediately as well. Somehow Comic stories stick more to my mind than the medical books stuff which is kinda frustrating heheheh. BTW congrats on G2 Boss.... you outbid me on that :p

piratescratch
12th August 2008, 08:20 PM
Anyone else besides me really looking forward to this weeks (week of August 13th) Marvel releases?

Secret Invasion up the wazoo! Starting with Secret Invasion #5, Secret Invasion Inhumans #1, Secret Invasion Runaways/Young Avengers #2, Secret Invasion Thor #1 and Secret Invasion X-Men #1.

I'm really hoping that these new Secret Invasion limited series tie ins end up being better then the mediocre filler Secret Invasion Fantastic Four.

komikskolektor
12th August 2008, 09:01 PM
looking forward to Secret Invasion 5..

Nil's artwork ROCKS! Why do they even bother to colour his art???
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/airfx12/21cb488b.jpg

Burn
12th August 2008, 09:02 PM
The SIFF was a fizzler for sure. That being said, the main SI book it's self has been pretty good.

What i'm getting bored with though is how Mighty Avengers has become a "flashback" book filling in the back stories of when certain characters were substituted. Doesn't really push the story forward.

But with this week's books we should really start moving. I'm looking forward to the Inhuman's books.

And we must be due for another Captain Britain and MI:13. (this series has so much potential)

piratescratch
12th August 2008, 10:13 PM
Secret Invasion Fantastic Four was just boring filler.

Mighty and New Avengers have been pretty average since they started their Secret Invasion tie ins. Avengers The Initiative and Ms. Marvel on the other hand are still fantastic with their current Secret Invasion tie ins.

komikskolektor
17th August 2008, 06:28 PM
Got my copy of Secret Invasion #5 , the president of the philippines is a SKRULL:):):):)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/airfx12/19d94b3b.jpg
she's below Oprah and next to Dr Doom:)

autobreadticon
17th August 2008, 08:10 PM
haha komikskolektor , is that Paris Hilton shes pretty hot :D

komikskolektor
17th August 2008, 09:01 PM
haha komikskolektor , is that Paris Hilton shes pretty hot :D
yes, with her pooch LOL

STL
19th August 2008, 11:57 PM
My favourite period of the month comicswise... finding out how broke I'll be in future months. :( :rolleyes: :D

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17750

DC Solicitations for November 2008.

What's everyone getting?

Me, I'm a bit pissed that JSA has an extra three one-shots I'm going to have to pick up on top of what I usually get. It always seems at this end of the year all the companies release a whole lot of one-shots/LSs that interest me and those are the months that normally kill me.

I think I might give the TItans HC a try too. I like a lot of those characters but couldn't be stuffed giving the ongoing a shot. And Paul Dini's Batman looks very interesting I'm so tempted to give it a try as much as I'm a Batman naysayer

Alex Ross does some awesome Batman covers too btw.

liegeprime
20th August 2008, 09:16 AM
Got my copy of Secret Invasion #5 , the president of the philippines is a SKRULL:):):):)
she's below Oprah and next to Dr Doom:)

ooooh a very short skrull hehehehehh:D and I thought "ate Glo" was a Skrull heheheh

My favourite period of the month comicswise... finding out how broke I'll be in future months. :( :rolleyes: :D

STL its not how broke you'll be , its how looooooong you'll be broke that counts:confused: , erm okay that didnt come out right I think. :p

Paulbot
20th August 2008, 02:42 PM
What's everyone getting?

Not a lot from these solicits: Jack of Fables TPB #4, X-Men: Legacy TPB, Ellis' Thunderbolts #2 TPB, New X-Men Ultimate Collection #3, TF Spotlight: Blurr, and maybe Young X-Men TPB #1.

piratescratch
20th August 2008, 06:50 PM
This Marvel November solicit for me definitely!

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7082/msmarvspecial002iz3.jpg

MS. MARVEL SPECIAL: STORYTELLER
Written by BRIAN REED
Pencils & Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
It's Marvel Pirate Mania as the Storyteller returns! Gavin is a young man with the ability to reshape the world in his image, but when he crosses paths with Ms. Marvel once more, dark secrets are revealed, and Gavin's life takes a dark turn. Brian Reed (SECRET INVASION: FRONT LINE) and Giuseppe Cammuncoli bring you a tale where anything can happen... and does!
32 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ ...$2.99

Yeah I'm a Ms. Marvel fan ... :p

Lord_Zed
20th August 2008, 08:46 PM
Damn I only just spotted this thread. I've read more than a few comics in my time, although I wouldn't say I was a huge a collector as some of the fans on the board, Gijoe and Transformers were my main comic passions. Today I try and reign comic spending in so i can afford TFS and other things. So today I only have a few favourtes though there rather diverse in origin.

Most likely my favourte comic series of all time is not in fact Transformers but Marvel's original run Of GI Joe, and Special Missions. Larry Hamma may have been a bit of an egotist, but he knew his stuff and did the best with what Hasbro gave him, and he wrote good dialouge which I think is rather important for a comic writter. I collected The new Devils Due GI Joe and America's Elite but In my mind there not on par with the original, could be nostalgia but to me it seems the writters don't research there subjects and the Joes win just because there so goddam tough. I also find there's a lot more flag waving in the new comics where as larry Hamma seemed to have a better idea of how the rest of the world sees America.

Obviously in my top 10 favourte comics is Transformers. Transformers G2 is may favourte (so gritty) with Marvel UK G1, US G1 and the IDW spotlights up next.

The Watchman is undoubtably my favourte graphic novel, I only read it a few years back though, but it's my favourte take on super heroes.

In the 90's The Maxx was one of my favourtes, so wierd yet rellevant.

Like TDD I started reading comics at an early age, of those comics the ones that still stand out today are Asterix and Uncle Scrooge, yet when I say Uncle Scrooge I mean any Uncle Scrooge comic written by Carl Barks or Donald Rossa. Those guys actualy researched thier stuff all Scrooges treasure hunts were based on actualy treasures and thier artwork was always lavish and detailed. Duck Tales Uncle Scrooge was a mere shadow of the miser in the comics.

On the Manga scene my favourtes are Appleseed, and Ghost In the Shell, love Shirows artwork, though his plots are often labrynth.

Easier to follow but no less appealing Is my other favoured manga Battle Angel Alita. I love the Cyberpunk dystopia of the series as well as the rather viscerial action and brain squishing. The only part that sucks is waiting months for next installment of the new series.

And just to round of my favourte comics with some underground comics I also sometimes read the drug fueled antics of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

TheDirtyDigger
20th August 2008, 09:18 PM
And just to round of my favourte comics with some underground comics I also sometimes read the drug fueled antics of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

I have the whole collection. Funny...so, so funny.

STL
20th August 2008, 10:28 PM
Like TDD I started reading comics at an early age, of those comics the ones that still stand out today are Asterix and Uncle Scrooge, yet when I say Uncle Scrooge I mean any Uncle Scrooge comic written by Carl Barks or Donald Rossa. Those guys actualy researched thier stuff all Scrooges treasure hunts were based on actualy treasures and thier artwork was always lavish and detailed. Duck Tales Uncle Scrooge was a mere shadow of the miser in the comics.

Those are definitely among my top10 runs/graphic novels. The Life and Times compilations are excellent yet meaningful reads. And yes, the detail is part of the allure.

piratescratch
23rd August 2008, 01:17 PM
Marvel comics for the week of August 20th.

Captain America #41 - I'm glad I borrowed the Winter Soldier trades off my friend, I'm now a Captain America reader. Such a great series and this weeks issue was a solid issue. I really can't wait to see how this story arc finally unfolds. Also fantastic final page for this issue.

Iron Man: Director of S.H.E.I.L.D. #32 - Sadly I can't say the same about Iron Man: DoS at the moment, I mean wow we had some pretty ace story arcs in the beginning; Extremis, Execute Program etc. but now, ugh. Issue #32 concludes our current mediocre story arc, seriously what the hell ...
*highlight for spoiler* "Iron Man just ends up slapping the crap out of Weir which snapped Overkill's control over him. Later we see Weir fuse again with Overkill to help Iron Man but this time he's able to control it." *end spoiler*
I believe next issue it becomes War Machine: Weapon of S.H.E.I.L.D? Here's to hoping it's going to be better.

Uncanny X-Men #501 - As mentioned a while back I've started reading Uncanny X-Men (at #500). Pretty decent issue, felt a bit disjointed, the whole car scene felt like filler. I'm quite liking the new look of Pixie, I'm glad we're seeing some of the younger generation from the New X-Men series. Greymalkin Industries .., I wonder if that has anything to do with what's currently going on in Young X-Men.

X-Factor: Layla Miller #1 - Woo Layla one shot! Shit was sad with what happened to her in Messiah Complex. Glad we're getting some sort of look at what Layla's been up to since we last saw her. Very enjoyable one shot.
*highlight for spoiler* "Wow Ruby Summers is hot. Scott was a jerk." *end spoiler*
I don't even read X-Factor but I do hope we see more of Layla soon.

X-Men: First Class #15 - Another fun issue, more enjoyable then last week. Cute watching Jean use her powers to manipulate her hair like Medusa. Liked how Medusa emphasized she likes the "strong and silent" type. It's all the small things in First Class which makes it good fun. Also great to see Angel back with the team.

Burn
23rd August 2008, 04:56 PM
X-Factor: Layla Miller #1 - Woo Layla one shot! Shit was sad with what happened to her in Messiah Complex. Glad we're getting some sort of look at what Layla's been up to since we last saw her. Very enjoyable one shot.

I was just coming here to say how i've enjoyed this new series of X-Factor, mostly for Layla. She's such a great character! There's the mystery of who she is, where she comes from, plus that whole "I'm Layla Miller, I know stuff" line. It NEVER gets boring and it's always an enjoyable read to see people freaking out whenever she tells them what's going to happen.

So I was certaintly glad for this one shot as I really want to see what happens to her. She's easily one of my favourite Marvel characters.

TheDirtyDigger
23rd August 2008, 05:39 PM
I just acquired (and read) Ultimate Xmen TPB #17: Sentinels. This series has really come down in terms of story, dialogue and, sadly, artwork. It has none of the uber-cool, post modern banter that I enjoyed for most of the series. The overall plot is just so-so and the art (done by two different artists) is just plain ugly.
A friend told me that all the Ultimate comics were being discontinued apart from Ultimate Spidey. I don't know if this is true but if it is I can see why. :(

piratescratch
24th August 2008, 12:08 AM
A friend told me that all the Ultimate comics were being discontinued apart from Ultimate Spidey. I don't know if this is true but if it is I can see why. :(

I believe it was talked about at SDCC '08 about ending the Ultimate comics. I believe Ultimate Fantastic Four will be wrapping up but that really was the only thing mentioned. Though there's still Ultimatun limited series to start (I believe in September/October?) and word has it they'll be another Ultimates series to come from that. So there's still quite a bit of new stuff to look forward to from the Ultimates universe.

I only really (really) enjoyed Ultimates 1 and 2. I hear 3 is crap so I haven't bothered. The only title from the Ultimate universe I'm following is Ultimate Origins.

Burn
24th August 2008, 07:33 AM
Following Ultimatum one of the Ultimate books is suppose to be cancelled. But I haven't heard anything about the rest of the Ultimate books being canned.

STL
25th August 2008, 11:38 PM
Most likely Ultimate X-Men I reckon. The creative team's just aren't the same on that book any more and it seems the entropy that's a feature of all comics has caught up to it.

STL
26th August 2008, 12:37 PM
Did anyone read the Irredeemable Ant-Man? I picked up the entire run off eBay a few months but only got around to reading it. Now he's my kind of superhero. :D

What did other people think?

kup
26th August 2008, 01:46 PM

lol, Richie had one for every fetish!

I got Volume 1 of Cable and Deadpool TPB today.

STL
26th August 2008, 02:38 PM
lol, Richie had one for every fetish!

I got Volume 1 of Cable and Deadpool TPB today.

That was one of the best comics to read at the time when it came out. It was absolutely hilarious given the social context of it when it was released. Many of non comic mates loved the Merc w/ a Mouth.

piratescratch
26th August 2008, 06:11 PM
Did anyone read the Irredeemable Ant-Man? I picked up the entire run off eBay a few months but only got around to reading it. Now he's my kind of superhero. :D

What did other people think?

Irredeemable Ant-Man was an okay read, for me it was one of those one time reads. Not really something I'd go back to.

Oh Eric, you can't help but cheer for him at times and then there are the other times were you think "god what a dirtbag". I looking forward to seeing how Ant-Man copes with the Secret Invasion in The Initiative.

Burn
27th August 2008, 05:49 PM
And the Invasion continues this week!

Avengers Initiative #16 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
Black Panther #40 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
Mighty Avengers #17 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
New Avengers #44 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
New Warriors #15 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
Nova #16 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
Secret Invasion Amazing Spider-Man #1 (of 3)(Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99
Thunderbolts #123 (Secret Invasion Tie-In), $2.99

NOVA! NOVA! NOVA! :D

And of course, THUNDERBOLTS!

loophole
27th August 2008, 09:13 PM
woohoo Nova gotta love it, one of my fav's :D

STL
27th August 2008, 11:05 PM
woohoo Nova gotta love it, one of my fav's :D

Yeah, that's definitely one of my favourites. I am worried though that the title is heading for cancellation. Fact is, -any- non staple character only lasts about 20-30 issues. It's sad but true and I fear inevitably we'll lose Nova. I just really don't understand it though. Why do so many people continually drop comics? Surely they follow something but by the looks of -all- comics, it seems there are a lot of people who just down out and leave or jump to something else.

iceburn
27th August 2008, 11:24 PM
jus read the New Avengers/Transformers comics....
storyline was jus "meh"... will this ever be continued???
can't believe they stop at just #4

STL
27th August 2008, 11:50 PM
jus read the New Avengers/Transformers comics....
storyline was jus "meh"... will this ever be continued???
can't believe they stop at just #4

A lot of "limited series" are written this way these days to try and open up the opportunity to follow up with another mini. One of the lame gimmicks the industry uses. Kinda like bad repaints. :(

I don't think it'll be continued. You'll never know though. Marvel could want to time it with the upcoming TF movie next year and an Avengers movie on the horizon.

iceburn
27th August 2008, 11:51 PM
hmmm so what's good and recent to be looking out for? sorry...i've lost track of comics and it's good to gain back some fun in reading rather than transforming toys

STL
28th August 2008, 12:11 AM
I'd recommend the IDW Spotlights. I can lend u the first HC collecting the first three series of IDWs stuff. It's massive but probably a very good read in one shot. Here it's this:
http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=39719

I loved Dreamwave WW and G1: War and Peace stuff. So they're my main recommendations. I don't really recommend going back to the Marvel/UK stuff. A lot of cringe worthy dialogue and very ordinary art. Though Bryan Hitch doing TFs was something I never knew!

iceburn
28th August 2008, 12:20 AM
cool..rock on!
next meet...

TheDirtyDigger
28th August 2008, 06:52 AM
I have Spotlight Volume 1 for sale. You can have it cheap.

Paulbot
28th August 2008, 11:25 AM
Though Bryan Hitch doing TFs was something I never knew!

He drew stuff other than Transformers? :p

What ever happened to that guy that drew the cover of TF UK #100? Alan Davis somebody? And that guy that drew the covers of US #53 and #67? Jim Lee I think his name was? Has he done anything else worth picking up? ;)

I remember when I saw Bryan Hitch's art in X-Men Omega and I thought it sucked. I haven't looked at that issue in a while but it was probably not as bad as I remember, just very different from the less realstic style common in the X-books at the time. Same goes for Steve Epting on X-Factor/Factor X. I couldn't stand his art then but nowadays in Capt America is fantastic. Styles & tastes change.

If I had time I will try to pick up the new She-Hulk trade and the third collection of the Onslaught saga. Does anyone read New Warriors? I like the characters it's picked up (spoilers! X-Men in disguise!) but I don't like how they've been treated in general by the powers that be at Marvel.

Paulbot
28th August 2008, 11:36 AM
Oh and a quick Mod note this thread should mainly be about non TF comics I guess... Discussion of TF comics should probably take place in the TF reviews section.

iceburn
28th August 2008, 11:41 AM
hahaha my bad, i guess i started it without looking at the main thread area and saw COMIC book ... ON!

You can move it if you wanna :P

Paulbot
28th August 2008, 12:11 PM
You were talking about half an Avengers series so it passes and I wont move it. :)

STL
28th August 2008, 10:54 PM
I remember when I saw Bryan Hitch's art in X-Men Omega and I thought it sucked. I haven't looked at that issue in a while but it was probably not as bad as I remember, just very different from the less realstic style common in the X-books at the time. Same goes for Steve Epting on X-Factor/Factor X. I couldn't stand his art then but nowadays in Capt America is fantastic. Styles & tastes change.

I know exactly what you mean. Hitch and Epting were always only servicable in my mind in their old Avengers, X-Men runs. But I was blown away to see their new stuff. I think the inking and the colour work is what's behind it. The old colours were too flat comparatively and it glaring juxtaposed the realism inherent in their styles. I'd say that Hitch has morphed more and more since those days though. He used to be an Alan Davis clone but he has his own unique spin now so its partially his growth as an artist. Epting is fundamentally the same as before. I think inker and colours are what have brought his stuff to life

If I had time I will try to pick up the new She-Hulk trade and the third collection of the Onslaught saga. Does anyone read New Warriors? I like the characters it's picked up (spoilers! X-Men in disguise!) but I don't like how they've been treated in general by the powers that be at Marvel.

piratescratch
29th August 2008, 03:52 PM
Marvel comics for the week of August 27th.

Avengers: The Initiative #16 - Still the best Avengers title Marvel has to offer. They packed a lot in this issue. Yeah Skrull Kill Krew you are awesome, "Now we do it 'cause we like the taste". Crusader is slowly becoming one of my favourite characters from the series. Also glad that we will be getting to see some of the first graduates again. And Ant-Man how will you get yourself out of this? :P

Mighty Avengers #17 - More Secret Invasion filler, medicore issue, more or less the same. Aww Pym. :(

New Avengers #44 - I don't know how the Illuminati are considered New Avengers material but it does clear up some things from New Avengers #40 and what the Skrulls were trying to accomplish with their clone experiments. Again okay issue.

Thunderbolts #123 - I've only been reading Thunderbolts from #110, enjoyed Ellis' run. Decided to stick around afterwards for the Secret Invasion tie ins. I've already mentioned how dissapointed I was with how Norman easily "dispatched" of Mar-vell. Nothing really special about this issue, progress was made, art was mediocre, final page made me chuckle.

Wolverine: First Class #6 - Best Wolverine: First Class issue to date, first handful of issues were quite dissapointing (compared to X-Men: First Class) but it's starting to pick up. Lots of fun. Nice light hearted change of pace from everything else I've read this week.

X-Force #6 - Conclusion to the first story arc; Angels & Demons. I think I'm only following this series for it's bloody kill everybody and thing that's against us (X-Men) ride. I mean the writing is pretty average so far and ditto with the plot, yeah I'm sure I'm just reading this for it's art alone.

Also started reading Immortal Iron Fist now.

loophole
31st August 2008, 06:05 PM
i just really wanted to brag about this yesterday(saturday) i went to a guys place that sells comics because i wanted to get some old spidey stuff and this guy has some real nice stuff. he has about 50,000 comics mostly back issues and alot of it he sells, trades etc..

anyway after i grabbed the ones that i wanted, he then showed me his private collection which included stuff like very early action comics around issues#30 onwards very first phantom and alot of others. then he pulled out a folder from his locked up cupboard and in this one folder out of about a dozen or so had Amazing fantasy#15, Amazing Spiderman#1!!!!!! worth $50,000, first Daredevil, Ironman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Avengers and some other number 1 stuff that i cant remember all in absolute mint condition it all looked brand new!!!!! I was very happy for him to show me all of this stuff as i probally never see anything like it again especially all together :D

STL
31st August 2008, 11:36 PM
I know what you mean, loophole. Vintage stuff is not something into these days but I have a friend with one of the most amazing comic collections I've ever seen. It's basically like what you saw. Just breathtaking to take a step back into history.

Piratescratch, Yost and his co-writer just don't do it for me. Most of their stuff is too dark, dreary and just downright depressing. It's barely adventrous and just seems muddied and muddied. The only thing I partially enjoyed was the X-Men: Emperor Vulcan. But everything I;ve heard of X-Force is just not what I need to read. Now original X-Force I would've read.

Paulbot
1st September 2008, 09:05 AM
Now original X-Force I would've read.

Did you read Rob Liefeld's X-Force miniseries a couple of years ago? That was original X-Force... and it sucked!

TheDirtyDigger
1st September 2008, 09:22 AM
Did you read Rob Liefeld's X-Force miniseries a couple of years ago? That was original X-Force... and it sucked!

Rob Liefeld sucks!

Omega Supreme
1st September 2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone else read The Incredible Herc(formerly Hulk) ?

I am a big fan of comics and the Hulk so I thought Id continue collecting it once it changed names, but honestly im really regretting it. I enjoyed the WWH tie in, but since then this series has really gone downhill in the storyline department and its a shame because when it was The Incredible Hulk, it was great!

I guess what im after is anyone else that read's this series opinion on it, or if anyone knows if there are plans to go back to good old Hulk.

STL
1st September 2008, 09:59 AM
Rob Liefeld sucks!

You suck! Rob Liefeld's the man I tell you! The man!

Wait. You do know that Liefield created Deadpool, right? :p

Yeah, I did and I do agree it was disappointing. The original concept was great but I think it needs to be distanced from Liefeld. Take Cable and Deadpool. I picked it up being a fan of both characters and trusting Fabian Nicieza's craftsmanship and that worked b/c Liefeld was not involved. I think his stories and art were better when there was editorial reign on him back in the 90s but nowadays he's very lazy.

The two x-books I still hold out hope for though are the original X-Force and X-Man. Neither of which will likely see the light of day again.

roller
1st September 2008, 10:14 AM
Im now reading the Mirror universe Star Trek comics from IDW

thats some good s**t boy! Murder, violence, big busty aliens:D treachery and my fave action-REVENGE!!!

its set in the evil mirror universe like tfs shattered glass, Mr spock has a goatee!

Paulbot
1st September 2008, 11:16 AM
Wait. You do know that Liefield created Deadpool, right? :p

I think a lot of what we love about Deadpool came from the writers not the designer.

kup
2nd September 2008, 01:06 PM
Got 'Deadpool Classic' TPB. Its a collection of early Deadpool stories.

Bartrim
2nd September 2008, 02:50 PM

Was there a title called "original X-Force"? Or are you referring to the actual original X-Force consisting of Cable, Domino, Shatterstar (always thought he was a bad ass:D), Feral, Warparth, Cannonball and Boom- Boom (later Boomer)? because that was more then a couple of years ago that was 93-94. I still have "the X-Cutioners song" crossover that I still love reading. Also I didn't think original X-Force sucked. I really liked it. They were a real misfit bunch that had so many issues. But that is my opinion.

Was there someone else in the original line up? I think Siryn, Richter and Sunspot all joined at later dates.

Paulbot
2nd September 2008, 03:13 PM
Was there a title called "original X-Force"? Or are you referring to the actual original X-Force consisting of Cable, Domino, Shatterstar (always thought he was a bad ass:D), Feral, Warparth, Cannonball and Boom- Boom (later Boomer)? because that was more then a couple of years ago that was 93-94. I still have "the X-Cutioners song" crossover that I still love reading. Also I didn't think original X-Force sucked. I really liked it. They were a real misfit bunch that had so many issues. But that is my opinion.

Was there someone else in the original line up? I think Siryn, Richter and Sunspot all joined at later dates.

I was referring to the 2003(?) X-Force miniseries. It was drawn (and written?) by Rob Liefeld and had the original X-Force cast, and since he was the first artist too it was the closest to the original 1991 X-Force comics that we've seen in a while.

Yep your list is the original X-Force lineup (although Domino was actually an imposter). When the others, like Siryn, Rictor and Sunspot joined it kind of became New Mutants again though. I liked X-Force most straight after X-Cutioner's Song (but the costumes were awful!). But I loved Milligan/Allred's take on X-Force/X-Statix much more because it was just so different from any past or present X-Men comic.

Bartrim
2nd September 2008, 03:20 PM
That's right Domino was an imposter. Another storyline involving everyones favourite Deadpool :D

I was always upset at Cable for letting Gideon take Sunspot ecause he knew he wasn't the immortal. Let some innocent young guy fry at the hands of a nutcase while I have the actual immortal.

autobreadticon
2nd September 2008, 07:56 PM
i am a comic newbie, what is the best comic to start off reading that is avaiable in a paperback collection book.

TheDirtyDigger
2nd September 2008, 08:19 PM
i am a comic newbie, what is the best comic to start off reading that is avaiable in a paperback collection book.

Watchmen.

autobreadticon
2nd September 2008, 10:17 PM
i meant for tfs

Paulbot
2nd September 2008, 10:29 PM
Autobreadticon if you can get a copy of the War Within collection start there... as it's the very beginning of the Transformers war.

And no not Watchmen for a comic newbie! Thats good but not a newbie book at all.

TheDirtyDigger
3rd September 2008, 06:41 AM
And no not Watchmen for a comic newbie! Thats good but not a newbie book at all.

I figure the best way to learn to swim is by jumping in at the deep end.:)

piratescratch
6th September 2008, 11:01 AM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 4th.

Amazing Spider-Man #570 - Thumbs up to New Ways to Die. The three way between Spidey, Venom and Anti-Venom was pretty neat, you know I don't find Anti-Venom as stupid as I would have thought, I mean on paper he sure sounds like some two bit contrived character but hey he's got my attention. Having Osbourne meet Menace was a nice wrap up to the issue. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this story arc pans out.

Invincible Iron Man #5 - Oh god seriously the art is atrocious, if it wasn't for this decent arc I don't think I'd bother. Besides the art my other gripe with this issue is the final few pages, please come on ...
SPOILER duh Ezekiel you didn't kill Stark, it's obviously one of those real life model decoys that SHIELD employs.END SPOILER
Really couldn't they have come up something some a bit better, a bit more original? Anyway next issue is the last one for this story arc yes?

Marvel Apes #1 - And it begins. Now I love my Marvel Zombies (can't wait for Marvel Zombies 3 next month), so naturally I was interested in this Marvel universe going all monkey/ape style. Not sure where I stand with this, I don't know if I enjoyed it or not, I mean am I just lying to myself and making myself believe I liked this because I like Zombies? It's still early days, I guess I'll see with next issue.

Ms. Marvel annual #1 - Easily the best read this week, fun light hearted easy going with great writing, nice art and a good amount of action. Ms. Marvel and Spidey team up was brilliant, fantastic banter between the two, the whole "do you wear socks underneath those high heels" and telling Wolverine that he got to second base with Ms. Marvel, gold. If you haven't picked this up get it now!

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane #2 - Nothing really happens here. Really nothing happens, MJ goes to class talks to Liz and Gwen, then first day of work and finally a walk home with Spidey. It wasn't a bad read but just a bit filler ... already.

Burn
7th September 2008, 01:55 PM
MARVEL

ASM - I'm still not liking this post OMD/BND Spidey but this was one of the better issues. Still hard to get into all the changes though.

IIM - Yeah, Stane, you're a dumbarse for not realising the plainly obvious. Although you have to wonder what the writers were thinking to make a end of issue "cliffhanger" so bloody obvious.

Marvel Apes - This is definitely going to be the sort of series that will be forever mocked, unless future issues some how convince me to take it seriously.

Secret Invasion : Frontline - Not liking the new FL direction, go back to the style used in CW and WWH!

Sub-Mariner : The Depths - Could be an interesting series ...

Venom : Dark Origin - Oh this is shaping up to be a good series and a good in-depth look into the life of Eddie Brock on his path to becoming Venom.

X-Men : Manifest Destiny - Never really thought much of the Iceman character, but it's left me hanging wanting to know his fate!

X-Men Origins : Beast - I'm liking these origins books and it was a nice look into Mr McCoy's life before he met the X-Men.

DC

Detecive Comics (R.I.P. Tie-in: Heart of Hush) - HOLY CRAP! Hush really hit Bruce hard! {spoiler}He removed Selina Kyle's heart and is now kept alive by machines!

Nightwaing (R.I.P. Tie-in) - Damn, Dick just keeps taking a pounding. Touching scenes with Alfred. The stuff he must have seen over the years and always having to patch Bruce and the boys up.

OTHERS

Buffy - Bit of a let down after last issue. Didn't really do much to further any of the story.

Un-Men - NOOOOOO! Final issue. I enjoyed my monthly dose of Freaks. Still, they wrapped the current storyline up nicely and left it open for a possible return.

Witchblade - Damn it's hard to concentrate on the story with that beautiful art. Bit of a transitional issue.

autobreadticon
7th September 2008, 08:25 PM
Wanting to get TF premium collection, too lazy to buy individual books, however it takes away the coolness of displaying a collection on your shelf..

piratescratch
9th September 2008, 05:44 PM
Marvel Announces 'Dark Reign' at Diamond Retailer Summit

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080909-marvel-diamond-summit.html

After thanking retailers for the success of this summer's Secret Invasion, Bendis announced the Marvel event that follows that storyline will be called Dark Reign, which will focus on the "after effects" of Secret Invasion, and will include several Marvel Universe titles that will feature "Dark Reign" trade dress.

More specifically Bendis went on to say the post-Invasion Marvel Universe will feature a complete change in his Avengers family of titles, including the cancellation of Mighty Avengers with issue #20 and the launch of a new title Dark Avengers, with art by Mike Deodato.

Ultimate Avengers by Mark Millar, scheduled for an early Marvel 2009 debut. Fans that have been around for a few years may recall that very early on in the development of the Ultimate Universe, the title that would become The Ultimates was originally referred to as "Ultimate Avengers".

Marvel Noir is an upcoming new line that explains those four b&w teaser images the publisher has released over the last few months. The line will apparently launch with a title featuring the X-Men, with Spider-Man and then other characters/properties to follow.

Cancellation of Mighty, less Ms. Marvel (:() but no big loss, as long as I still have Avengers: The Initiative I'm happy. Dark Avengers sounds pretty bad, title wise. Could Dark Avengers possibly have something to do with the Hood (see SI #4)? Or that Evil Illuminati thing that was mentioned recently which I think I read over at IGN.

Millar back with the Ultimates universe, guess I'll be checking Ultimate Avengers out. I only liked Ultimates 1 and 2 from the Ultimates universe. And weren't they saying they were going to start finishing up/cancelling the Ultimates universe (with the exception of Spider-man)?

So what's going to be the "catch" for Marvel Noir, I mean isn't Max the "dark" line that Marvel uses?

Paulbot
9th September 2008, 07:12 PM
Dark Avengers? What a silly name. The New Avengers have been the 'dark' ones since Civil War - the rebebls being chased by the government. Maybe the new 'dark' team will be something like the current X-Force - the Avengers that will kill their enemies to make sure they don't bother them again.

They had suggested that the Ultimatium series would end the Ultimate Universe but I guess not... maybe some rebooting/launching? (As long as they keep Ultimate Spidey going, I still love that series.)

Judging from the Marvel Noir promo images I'd say it is going to be a couple of limited What If type series that will be more like DC Elseworlds : characters we know in noir type stories of private detectives/gangster/femme fatales.

STL
9th September 2008, 11:03 PM
That's right Domino was an imposter. Another storyline involving everyones favourite Deadpool :D

I was always upset at Cable for letting Gideon take Sunspot ecause he knew he wasn't the immortal. Let some innocent young guy fry at the hands of a nutcase while I have the actual immortal.

I have to say though that that was what made it so cool. His tough as nails attitude. A lot of people mistake tough as walking around and dropping 60 guys with your forty guns or gutting them or some such, but it was moments like those that made me love X-Force.

Avengers - apart from the Initiative I'm only going to read anything with Thor in it. Otherwise I just don't like Bendis enough to bother. He's literally all talk and no plot development.

Paulbot
10th September 2008, 09:25 AM
So what's going to be the "catch" for Marvel Noir, I mean isn't Max the "dark" line that Marvel uses?

Here's info on the X-Men and Spider-Man Noir comics (http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/6205427.html#cutid1)

I will buy the X-Men one, not sure about the Spider-Man one.

Burn
13th September 2008, 06:56 AM
So this week's SI reads ....

Secret Invasion #6 - HOLY crap on a stick that's a huge all out war! :D
Ms. Marvel #30 - Well the way this book ended was a bit silly. Practically giving out spoilers?
SI - Inhumans #2 - Man, that's a seriously pissed off bunch of Inhumans. This little mini might be one of the best SI side stories.
SI - Runaways/Young Avengers #3 - meh, you really need to be a fan of these kids. Did nothing really for the overall storyline, just filled in their story.
SI - X-Men #2 - Oh now THIS was a damn good read. I am liking the direction the X-Men are going in, and to see them all united together in war was great. But the clincher? Summers once again unleashes X-Force! :D

And of course the other SI tie-in comic this week, even though it didn't have the SI banner but was clearly part of SI ....

DEADPOOL #1
Yes, everybody's loveable merc with a mouth is back with his own series. A lot of people were skeptical that taking Deadpool in a more serious direction would kill the character, but if future issues are anything like this one then there's no need to worry.

Sure, the seriousness was there, but Wade's still insane and babbling and completely decimating a Skrull unit single handedly. (Before doing something that I found myself supporting) :D

STL
13th September 2008, 10:20 AM
I'm glad to hear DP reads well. I'm probably going to hold out for the trade. I'm just not that supportive of Daniel Way in general to go buy a monthly with his name on it. He's got enough editorial support as it is, so we'll at least not worry about this book falling over in the first year. Each time I think of the cancellation, it irks me that little extra so no love from me for the monthly until I read the trade. Heh, I might Byrne steal it next week. :D

piratescratch
13th September 2008, 10:37 AM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 10th.

Amazing Spider-Man #571 - I'm just echoing what most people are thinking about this current arc, it's great, much better than previous OMD/BND arcs. Another enjoyable issue in the New Ways to Die! arc. I enjoyed the quick rumble between Osborn and Menace, and some good progress was made. Looking forward to next issue, watch out Spidey, Bullseye has his sights set on you!

Civil War: House of M #1 - Quite a late entry for the whole House of M event. Civil War: House of M deals with Magneto's rise to power in the House of M reality, it's not some wacky crossover between the Civil War and House of M major events (which is what I first thought it was when I saw it in the Marvel solicits a while back). Enjoyable first issue, only one minor gripe, could Magneto really do that to Apocolypse? That's quite the OP attack there. Well I will be following this one for sure.

Deadpool #1 - Our favourite merc with the mouth is back! Thrown into a Secret Invasion scenario, a silly one at that. Now why would the Skrulls attack a baseball game? Deadpool seemed more stupid then sarcastic here but all in all a fun issue. I just do hope we see some familiar faces later on, Weasal, Bob of Hydra and the lovely ladies from Agency X.

Ms. Marvel #30 - And with that we conclude the Secret Invasion tie in for Ms. Marvel. It was a fun action packed ride and from the looks of things we might see some more Skrulls later on. I don't know what to think about the epilogue though which is set a few months later, so I guess it's obvious that ...
/SPOILER/the Superheroes won in the end (against the Skrulls) .., wait is that even a spoiler?/END SPOILER/
I do hope in later issues we get reunited with Carol's crew again and get some more light shed on William Wagner.

Patsy Walker: Hellcat #3 - Yeah the whole magic hoo-ha plot is silly but I love Patsy Walker as a character and I'm quite fond of the art. It's still a fun read, a bit of a distraction from all these Secret Invasion titles at the moment. Only two more issues left for this mini series, I really do hope we get to see more of Patsy after this finishes, I really really like her.

Secret Invasion #6 - Ahh the everyone rally together for the big showdown issue. I have to admit though I felt a bit cheated with this issue, a lot of scene cuts and jumps, I would of liked to have seen some of them more fleshed out, say the meeting between Captain America and Thor. But other than that, yeah the last few pages were ace, I mean Fury and his "Yeah? Well my god has a hammer!" line was brilliant. And do I spot Howard the Duck between Statures chest? Haha. Only two (right?) more issues left, it's coming to an end. I'm feeling that Secret Invasion could have been a whole lot more than what it is now.

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #2 - My god that close up of Blackbolt's face as he goes "*" is the stuff of nightmares.This feels a bit more important then you standard Secret Invasion tie in mainly because it's Blackbolt here but I (we) know that what the Skrulls are planning to do with him won't probably have any effect or impact to what's happening in the main Secret Invasion series which is why I feel like this might go the way of filler. But I'm still enjoying this and I do look forward to see how things pan out for the Inhumans.

Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers #3 - Final issue for this mini series. The series primarily focused on half of the whole (two) group(s); Hulking, Wiccan, Speed and a few of the Runaways (don't read Runaways can't be bothered naming names). I would of liked to have seen the whole Young Avengers group together battling the Skrulls but as we know the rest of them were running around with Fury (as seen in the main series). More enjoyable than the Fantastic Four one that's for sure but still a pretty mediocre mini series. Bit dissapointing as I am quite a fan of the Young Avengers. I'll finish up with a positive note though, I loved the final page with Molly cursing Speed.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #2 - Wow I really don't like how some of the faces are drawn here. More or less your standard Secret Invasion tie in fluff, replace whatever hero with the X-Men and location to San Francisco. Just one thing though, continuity what ...
/SPOILER/The hell? That was Archangel there I saw with the X-Force crew. So what now Angel can freely turn into Archangel and be in full control of himself? I'm hoping to expect some answers in coming X-Force issues./END SPOILER/

Burn
13th September 2008, 02:28 PM
And do I spot Howard the Duck between Statures chest?

HA! You're right, I didn't notice that the first time I read it.

Great to see Howard taking a stance even after how badly he was treated with the Registration Act.

piratescratch
19th September 2008, 11:29 PM
piratescratch on Marvel comics for the week of September 17th.

Amazing Spider-Man #572 - New Ways to Die! rocks. Another top issue of Amazing Spider-Man. I'm going to have to spoiler tag most of this.
/SPOILER/I have to admit it was nice to see Freak from one of the early (mediocre) BND arcs, currently being used (or should I say abused) by Osborn. Well he was thrown in some freezer owned by Oscorp. It feels like they weren't just one off filler enemies until the big things started to happen.

Also final page with Scorpion Venom, wow he looks badass./END SPOILER/

Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #33 - Or should I have call it War Machine: Weapon of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Aren't we a bit late to the party? Here we have Iron Man: DOS' tie in for Secret Invasion except War Machine has the spotlight. Nothing really new or interesting here, same old Secret Invasion fluff that's been going on for the past couple of months. Though I must admit the final pages were pretty awesome and it looks like War Machine is going to go all badass on the Skrulls soon.

Marvel Apes #2 - Wow we didn't even have to wait a month and we've already got our second issue of Marvel Apes. I wasn't impressed too much by the first issue and this second issue doesn't do it for me either. Silly twist in the middle with ...
/SPOILER/monkey Captain America and his Invanders being vampires, what what what?/END SPOILER/
The only reason why I'll continue on with this is that I'm genuinely interested in what might happen in future issues (ala what monkey Captain America says on the broadcast). Oh and drunk monkey Watcher was amusing.

Mighty Avengers #18 - Love the art here, fantastic work from Caselli. Here we get to see Fury being a jerk to his new Howling Commando team but it was all for their own good. Nothing really happens here, bit on an uneventful issue but I do look forward to next months Mighty Avengers where hopefully we'll get to see them in action.

Secret Invasion: Thor #2 - Action in Asgard. Birth in Broxton. That pretty much sums up this issue. That female super Skrull is hideous, I think it's those purple tights. Final issue next month for this mini series and from the looks of it we finally get to see Thor in action. Oh and speaking of Thor, when's #11 out! How long as it been!

Uncanny X-Men #502 - There's just something really creepy with the way Land draws female faces. Enjoyable issue if not a bit forgetful, nothing much really to really comment about. I'm looking forward to where this goes with the Red Queen and the Hellfire Cult.

X-Men: First Class #16 - Aww and here I thought we were getting a Spider-Man, Human Torch and Iceman team up. Instead it's just Torch and Iceman. Good light hearted fun here much like other First Class issues. Spidey's extended cameo was nice, ditto Scorpion and Beetle's bickering over what they should call themselves. Next we're getting a Giant Size issue and then I think X-Men: First Class is going on hiatus?

Young X-Men #6 - Change of artist, Young X-Men is much nicer looking now, first five issues suffered from some pretty bland art. Pretty much setting status quo here in this issue. We get one new member introduced at the end of the issue but I'm sure you can guess who it's going to be from the cover. It's ...
/SPOILER/Anole, glad to see more characters from New X-Men/Academy X./END SPOILER/
Other than that Graymalkin's still a mystery, a bit of a nice twist revealed. And I really liked the Rockslide hugging Cyclops page, d'aaw. Well after a mediocre start, I have a feeling that this series might pick up some slack. I still have some hopes for this.

Paulbot
19th September 2008, 11:38 PM
Uncanny X-Men #502 - There's just something really creepy with the way Land draws female faces.
I know why that is... but it's not appropriate to talk about here.

Burn
21st September 2008, 06:00 PM
Pretty quiet week for comics really.

Secret Invasion was lite. Two issues, one involving Asgard, the other, MORE backstory.

Big surprise of the week was the new member of (Captain Britain &) MI:13 ... extracted directly from Manhattan in the middle of a Skrull invasion ... BLADE! Didn't know he was British. Guess they needed to use the character some how, never imagined it would have been him though.

Marvel Apes just reeks of "trying too hard". I think it started off as a joke but someone high up said "make it serious, Marvel Zombies serious" ... so they did what they did. I too am just reading to see what happens, certaintly not because i'm enjoying it.

Thankfully this week also saw the wrap-up of the train wreck that was GeNext. That was one god awful mini-series.

Here's hoping for a big week next week.

piratescratch
21st September 2008, 06:09 PM
Here's hoping for a big week next week.

Next week looks very promising.

I'm looking forward to the following:

Avengers: The Initiative #17 - best Avengers title hands down.
Captain America #42 - which will finally wrap up the epic behemoth that is the Death of Captain America saga.
Deadpool #2 - hey we didn't have to wait a whole month for next issue!
Ms. Marvel #31
New Avengers #45
Secret Invasion: Amazing Spider-Man #2 - yeah sure first issue was pretty bad but I'll stick around anyway.
Thunderbolts #124
Wolverine: First Class #7
X-Force #7

Eruntalon
22nd September 2008, 03:25 AM
My third post on these forums since joining.

I'm currently trying to complete a Star Wars-oriented book and comic collection based on Pre Episode 1 and Post Episode 3 cannon (so nothing between the fictional years 32-31BBY and 10BBY) . I'm currently after anything that fits within the Star Wars time lines that I haven't listed here and which doesn't fit into this black area of Star Wars canon time I don't want to associate myself with.

If anyone has any Star Wars comics they are willing to sell me then they can let me know and I may/may not be interested in making a deal in order to complete my collection. I'm currently trying to hunt down Any of the issues which are in square brackets [], Any Empire/Rebellion/KotOR /Legacy/Rogue Squadron issues which I haven't listed, And the First Run of the series Crimson Empire.

My SW Comic collection as of 22/09/08:

<OLD REPUBLIC ERA - 25000ABY-1000ABY>
Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith - 0,1,2,3,4,5 - 1996 - 5000BBY
Tales of the Jedi: Fall of the Sith Empire - 1,2,3,4,5 - 1997 - 5000BBY
Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic - 1,2,3,4,5 - 1993/1994 - 3998BBY
Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising - 1,2 - 1997 - 3998BBY
Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1994-1995 - 3997BBY
Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1995 - 3996BBY
Tales of the Jedi: Redemption - [1]2,3,4,5 - 2001 - 3986BBY

KotOR - 0(flip with Rebellion 0),19,20,21,22,23,24 - 2006 3964BBY
Jedi vs. Sith - 1,2,3,4[5]6 - 2001 - 1000BBY

<RISE OF THE EMPIRE ERA - 1000BBY-0ABY>
Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 1,2[3,4] - 1999 - 32BBY
Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 1.Aura Sing - Truman - 1999 - 32BBY

Droids 1[2,3,4,5,6,7,8] - Manak - 1986/1987 - 10/6BBY
Han Solo: At Stars' End - 1,2,3 - 1997 - 2BBY
Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire - 1,2,3,4 - Wagner - 1999 - 1BBY
Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire - 1997 - 1BBY

<A NEW HOPE - 0BBY/ABY>
A New Hope (Manga tr.) 1[2,3,4] - Hisao Tamaki - 1998 - 0BBY
Classic Star Wars (1-20): 1,2,5 - Goodwin/Williamson - 1992 - 0ABY?
Vader's Quest - 1,2,3,4 - Macan - 1999 - 0ABY
Empire (40 pts) - 7,16,17,18:0ABY /22:0.25ABY /19,21,23,24,25,26,27:0.5/0.6ABY
Rebellion - 0(flip with KotOR 0),1,2,3,4,5 - 2006 - 0.75ABY
River of Chaos - 1,2,3[4] - Simenson - 1995 - 2ABY

<THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - 3ABY>
Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 2.Scoundrel's Wages - Schultz - 1999 - 3.5ABY
Shadows of the Empire - Kenner Special - Wagner - May 1996 - 3.5ABY
Shadows of the Empire - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Wagner - 1996 - 3.5ABY

<RETURN OF THE JEDI - 4ABY>
Return of the Jedi (Marvel Specials) 1,2,3,4 - 1983/1984 - 4ABY
Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand - [0 - 0BBY]1,2,3,4,5,6 - 1998/1999 - 4ABY
The Jabba Tape - Wagner/Plunkett - 1998 - 4ABY

<NEW REPUBLIC ERA - 5ABY-25ABY>
Rogue Squadron - Handbook Vol.1 - 1998 - 4/5ABY
Rogue Squadron: Rebel Opposition (#1-4) - 1,2,3,4 - Stackpole - 1995 - 5ABY
Rogue Squadron: Phantom Affair (#5-8) - 1,2,3,4 - Stackpole - 1996 - 5ABY
Rogue Squadron: Warrior Princess (#13-16) - 1,2,3,4 - 1996/1997 - 4/5ABY

Shadows of the Empire: Evolution - 1,2,3,4,5 - Perry - 1998 - 4/5ABY
Classic Star Wars: The Vandelhelm Mission - 1995 - 4/5ABY

Rogue Squadron: Masquerade (#28-#31) - [1,2,3]4 - Stackpole - 5ABY
Rogue Squadron: Mandatory Retirement (#32-#35) 1,2[3,4] - Stackpole - 4/5ABY

Dark Forces: Rebel Agent - 1998 - 5/6ABY

Heir to the Empire - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Zahn/Baron - 1995 - 9ABY
Dark Force Rising - 1,2,3,4[5]6 - Zahn/Baron - 1997 - 9ABY
The Last Command - 1,2,3,4,5,6- Zahn/Baron - 1998 - 9ABY

Dark Empire I - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Veitch/Kennedy - 1991/1992 - 10ABY
Dark Empire II - special,1,2,3,4,5,6 - Veitch/Kennedy - 1995 - 10ABY
Empire's End - 1,2 - Veitch/Baikie - 1997 - 11ABY

Crimson Empire - Handbook Vol.2 - 1999 - 11ABY
Bounty Hunters (4 pts): 3.Kenix Kil - Stradley - 1999 - 11ABY
Crimson Empire II - 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Richardson/Stradley - 1998/1999 - 11ABY
Jedi Academy: Leviathan - 1,2,3,4 - 1998/1999 - 12ABY

Union - 1,2,3,4 -1999/2000 - 20ABY

<NEW JEDI ORDER - 25ABY-37ABY>

Chewbacca - [1,2]3[4] - 2000 - 25/26ABY?

<LEGACY ERA - 40ABY-150ABY>

Legacy - 0,1,18 - Ostrander - 2006-2008 - 137ABY
---
Star Wars: Tales (1-24) - 1,5,11,15 - 1999-2005 (Various ABY/BBY)
Star Wars (Marvel) - 1,48,52

hotaru_oz
27th September 2008, 01:24 AM
:) I got some Birthday Money in Advance so I decided to go to Pulp Fiction and Splurge a bit :D

I managed to aquire

All Hail Megatron # 3 - IDW

Forgotten Realms: Legend of Drizzt Book VII, The Legacy #3 of 3 - Devil's Due

Runaways #1 - Marvel

Sonic The Hedgehog #191 - Archie

Ultimate X-men # 89 to #97 - Marvel

World of Warcraft #9 and #10 - Wildstorm

World of Warcraft: Ashbringer #1 of 4 - Wildstorm

piratescratch
27th September 2008, 11:05 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of September 24th.

Avengers: The Initiative #17 - Yeah! You are the best Avengers title! Another fantastic issue. We're still going through the Secret Invasion tie in but unlike most other titles Avengers: The Intiative still manages to be top notch. Quite a lot going on in this issue; Shadow Initiative along with Ant-man, we get to see a glimpse of Mutant Zero (time to throw out speculations on who she is), we see the Kill Krew and few of the first graduates cruising around America taking out Skrulls, and throw in a bit of Crusader and Fury for good measure. I always look forward to this title and next month can't get here any sooner.

Captain America #42 - We finally wrap up this epic arc. There's a few loose ends here and there (which will most likely be dealt with in the future) but all in all it's been an unbelievably awesome ride to the very end. I really like the final page (epilogue three), has that fantastic "horror movie mad scientist" vibe. I can't wait to see what's next for (Bucky) Captain America.

Deadpool #2 - Wow we didn't have to wait a month, just two weeks, and we already have our next issue of Deadpool. First issue was good but nothing special, second issue is better. Deadpool messing with the Skrulls, good fun. But the big clincher for this is the final page, oh hey ...
/SPOILER/Fury was behind this all along, how many cookie jars does this guy have his hand in!/END SPOILER/

Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Death Queen of California #1 - One shots I tend to stay away from (most of them are usually Wolverine ones) but I decided to give this Iron Fist one a go. I'm glad I did. Enjoyable one shot starring Orson Randall (as opposed to Danny), it's sort of like those issues of Immortal Iron Fist that focuses on past Iron Fists. Nice clean art and colours, good writing and pace, not as action packed as other Iron Fist issues but there's some gun tooting towards the end. Iron Fist fans be sure to pick this up.

Ms. Marvel #31 - The Secret Invasion tie in wrapped up last issue. Sort of an interlude here, Carol just visits her estranged family. Something about ...
/SPOILER/her not having much time left and wanting to kill Norman Osborn./END SPOILER/
Besides that which we'll probably find out more about in coming issues nothing really happens here at all. You can skip this issue, just read the spoiler and you're set.

New Avengers #45 - Oh this looked promising when the preview pages hit the internet, dun dun dun how did the Skrulls deal with House of M? Hmm surprisingly well. Once again this is just filler, dissapointing filler at that. Skrull Jessica and Pym state the obvious, cut to big climactic House of M scenes, throw in a bit of Annihilation and there you go another wasted oppurtunity. I guess that's what you get for having your hopes up.

Secret Invasion: Amazing Spider-Man #2 - Okay first issue was just dreary crap. Second issue is more of the same, run away from the Super Skrull, throw a few punches, oh hey it's Harry and his girlfriend, run some more. There was however one highlight, another BND character drops in ...
/SPOILERMenace, I guess it would be nice to see him and Jackpot team up to take out the Super Skrull./END SPOILER/

Thunderbolts #124 - More Secret Invasion tie in, compared the the recently finished Ellis run this is pretty mediocre. It just feels like we've been through this already, just feels like this comics is going through the motions and nothing more. Sure it packed a lot of Skrull killing action but other than that, I'm just looking forward to this tie in to wrap up so we can get back to business.

Wolverine: First Class #7 - Wolverine: First Class is definitely getting better. Just love the Logan and Kitty duo. Argh this is a two parter though, so I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this story arc.

Burn
28th September 2008, 08:57 AM
Are you reading Nova at all PS? Highly recommend it.

Nova's tie-in with SI continues as he pops home to check on his parents before rushing off to save his brother. Long story short, they try to jumpstart the Worldmind and end up (spoiler) RESURRECTING QUASAR! :D

Great to see him back.

Deadpool once again was great. Such a unique way of dealing with the Skrulls, what do you expect from DP though?

New Avengers continued to disappoint me with it's ongoing flashbacks. Yeah, you went through House of M, congrats. Can this title get back to the current time line?

Overall, still a pretty quiet week on the comics front. Nothing from DC this week involving R.I.P. which was disappointing.

piratescratch
28th September 2008, 03:46 PM
Don't read Nova or any of the space/universe set Marvel series. Not really sure I can jump in, I've got very little knowledge on it.

Anyway I thought this week was ace, next week (Marvel wise) looks like a snooze, there really isn't anything great.

jacksplatt11
28th September 2008, 03:51 PM
i just finished dark knight returns and found it awesome.. bit of a twist in the ending which i didn't suspect

Burn
28th September 2008, 05:43 PM
Don't read Nova or any of the space/universe set Marvel series. Not really sure I can jump in, I've got very little knowledge on it.

I highly recommend finding Annihilation and Annhilation:Conquest. Both are great story arcs with the first setting up the Nova monthly comic and the second setting up the Guardians of the Galaxy monthly.

piratescratch
2nd October 2008, 03:23 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 1st.

Civil War: House of M #2 - Great follow up to the first issue for this new House of M mini series. Fair amount of action, nice story progression and solid art. Charles in the old school X-Men tights is quite a sight haha. Magneto gets pretty badass at the end with his threat. Looking forward to see how this all unfolds.

Well besides Civil War: House of M #2, there wasn't anything else for me. Slow week.

STL
2nd October 2008, 11:42 PM
I second Nova btw. Great series. Always liked the character as part of the New Warriors but in Annihilation (one of the best crossovers ever) and then in his solo series, Nova's risen to new heights in my book. My memories of DnA were Force Works which is scary if you know what I mean but they've both smacked it out of the park with Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova.

iceburn
2nd October 2008, 11:44 PM
STL... remember to bring some trades for me to borrow and read next week :P
ohh we've still got Paul's BW DVDs...
Paul, you need it back soon...i'm still going through it pretty slowly
might get my own i guess

STL
2nd October 2008, 11:50 PM
My sister's car has been written off so I'm not even sure if I'll have a car next week for very much of it. :( On top of that, not likely to get out very much for this week's sale. :(

And on topic:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18289

Do any comic lovers get depressed when they see the monthly sales charts? Each and every book constantly falls with the odd one in 100 rising marginally. It makes me very depressed for the future of comics. 15K to 30K circulation figures are not exactly a great global numbers.

TheDirtyDigger
3rd October 2008, 10:27 AM
And on topic:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18289

Do any comic lovers get depressed when they see the monthly sales charts? Each and every book constantly falls with the odd one in 100 rising marginally. It makes me very depressed for the future of comics. 15K to 30K circulation figures are not exactly a great global numbers.

I think it's a good thing. There is just too much f-grade crap on the shelves.
Less titles should mean higher quality art, script and effort.

Burn
5th October 2008, 08:39 AM
It was another very quiet week.

I was waiting for the latest part of Batman R.I.P. but it failed to deliver. One thing i've realised about this story arc is you REALLY need to read each issue more than once to fully understand what's going on.

piratescratch
10th October 2008, 11:08 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 8th.

Avengers/Invaders #5 - And we're back, something that's got lost amongst the whole Secret Invasion thing that's currently happening. Last issue we left off at where Captain America (Bucky) confronts himself from the past, what I didn't expect was Captain America (Bucky) telling himself not to do "you know what" from the Winter Soldier arc. Other then that the rest of the issue is pretty forgettable. I'm still not sure where they're heading with this title.

Deadpool #3 - And that concludes the Secret Invasion tie in. Deadpool just goes through the motions of beating the crap out of the Super Skrull, the Skrull's plans backfire on them and it's win win for Earth. There's a nice twist at the end with ...
/SPOILER/having Norman intercept the top secret Skrull data that Deadpool was sending to Fury. Well the main Secret Invasion series is coming to an end soon so I'm sure it won't be long until we see what exactly Norman took. And I have an inkling feeling that it might have to do with what Ms. Marvel said at the end of Ms. Marvel #31./END SPOILER/

Invincible Iron Man #6 - And we wrap up the debut arc for Invincible Iron Man. This arc started off great but finished on a slump, It's the typical Iron Man end we've seen plenty of times; "Oh I killed Iron Man, no wait his suit is empty!" and the "Oh I am Tony Stark I'm micromanaging all these Iron Men suits around to world to prevent these terrorist attack". I'm a tad dissapointed, it could of been much better. However I don't think this is the end of Ezekiel, I'm sure we'll be seeing him in the future. Looks like we'll get to see Spidey in the next issue.

Marvel Zombies 3 #1 - I love Marvel Zombies. I also love Suydam's art even though he just did the variant for this issue. I was extremely stoked that I got to meet him early this year and get a signed print from him. So anyway did you wonder where our lovable Zombies got zapped to at the end of Marvel Zombies 2? Well looks like they've made it all the way to the main 616 universe. Enjoyable first issue to hopefully something as enjoyable as the previous Marvel Zombie titles, I'm looking forward to seeing our favourite flesh eaters (who don't make an appearance in the first issue). Also is it just me or does Aquarian from the Florida Initiative team look like Jesus?

Secret Invasion: Inhumans #3 - Once again another hot Medusa on the cover, I love the cover art for Secret Invasion: Inhumans. I'm still not quite sure how they are going to end this in the next issue seeing as the main cast have split up and are currently pursuing different things, I have a feeling we might get a poor rushed ending? Oh and Medusa versus Crstal cat fight, nice!

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane #3 - More of the same but that's a good thing.

Paulbot
11th October 2008, 10:31 AM
Marvel Zombies 3 #1 Also is it just me or does Aquarian from the Florida Initiative team look like Jesus?
It's not just you, that's the usual joke about that character. I'm not sure bringing unstoppable zombies in the 616 Universe is a great idea - it dilutes their effectiveness as they will have to be stopped. The Zombie F4 in the Ultimate Universe was a great story but it was pretty much contained to the Baxter Building. Maybe this story will all take place in the Nexus Swamp? What I found most enjoyable from what I read of this issue was the zombie version of a major character from one of the other books you reviewed.

STL
11th October 2008, 11:29 AM
Avengers/Invaders #5 - And we're back, something that's got lost amongst the whole Secret Invasion thing that's currently happening. Last issue we left off at where Captain America (Bucky) confronts himself from the past, what I didn't expect was Captain America (Bucky) telling himself not to do "you know what" from the Winter Soldier arc. Other then that the rest of the issue is pretty forgettable. I'm still not sure where they're heading with this title.

I think it's just the obligatory Alex Ross title to be honest.

Anyone been down to Classic Comics recently? Have they raised their cover prices b/c of the drop in the AUD$ or should I get in ASAP before they do?

TheDirtyDigger
11th October 2008, 06:32 PM
For anyone that likes their comics a little more mature, that Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge TPB is about the best comic I have read all year.

Also been waiting an age for the 100 Bullets TPB to come out so was very grateful to get that. Will be reading it in about ten minutes.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4566/comicsdd4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

jacksplatt11
17th October 2008, 01:42 AM
Just finished Batman: The Long Halloween, really really enjoyed it. I like all the limited series books because I can just read them and not worry too much about what has happened in previous books/arcs... I know it's easy to still understand most comics even if you go in mid-arc, but the fact that they are mostly self contained I really like, meaning there's not too much contradiction etc with previous comics, and I can just pick it up and read and not have to know what has happened in previous comics..

komikskolektor
17th October 2008, 04:49 AM
loeb and tim sale...yeah..they produced great books..check out their Superman for all season

TheDirtyDigger
17th October 2008, 06:07 AM
Just finished Batman: The Long Halloween, really really enjoyed it.

Awesome book. Have you read Dark Victory also?

jacksplatt11
17th October 2008, 11:25 AM
loeb and tim sale...yeah..they produced great books..check out their Superman for all season

Yeah they have put out some pretty good stuff, they work well together.. I only recently found out that Loeb has written episodes Smallville and Heroes, and that Sale drew all the artwork that Mendez drew in the show

Awesome book. Have you read Dark Victory also?

It's next on my list :D

piratescratch
18th October 2008, 01:40 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 15th.

Amazing Spider-Man #573 - New Ways to Die comes to an end. Dissapointed would be the word I'd use to describe this. Maybe I had my hopes set too high after all these stellar issues. Where was the big bang? Where was the climatic finale? The arc wraps up with a few loose ends for future story arcs no doubt. But all in all New Ways to Die is probably the best thing thats come out of Brand New Day. Oh the backup story with Colbert, I think ended up being more of a dissapointment.

Astonishing X-Men #27 - I'm still not warming up to the art and colouring, it's just not doing it for me, I find it inconsistent and well downright hideous at times. Other then that it was a good read, I like the dialogue between Brand, Beast and Cyclops, "Xenophiliac experimentation parter?". Whilst it feels a bit slow, doesn't feel like much has happened in the past few issues, I'm looking forward to seeing where this story arc takes us.

Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #34 - Once again we're going through the Secret Invasion motions. War Machine takes out some Skrulls, gets no help from Russians, get's captured by Skrulls. I mean it's a solid issue but frankly I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the same old same old Secret Invasion scenarios that the heroes are being put through but they this is a lot better then the previous story arc, I much prefer this over that.

Mighty Avengers #19 - And how is this related to the Mighty Avengers? Next issue however is the final issue of Mighty Avengers, hopefully it'll end on a high note.

Uncanny X-Men #503 - What the hell has happened to Pixie? "I'm dark! I'm goth as hell!", seriously what? I liked her in The Quest for Magik arc in New X-Men but I'm not caring for this "new" Pixie here in Uncanny. It's not a bad read but it's just been a totally forgettable ride since #500.

Young X-Men #7 - Probably my favourite X-Men title out this week. After a shaky series start Young X-Men has began to pick up, we're still going through the transition stage, setting up status quo and what not. Still hoping that we see some more New X-Men/Academy X characters join the fray, I still feel a bit shafted after it's cancellation with the big Messiah Complex event and no those Divided We Stand issues were crap.

piratescratch
28th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Oops a bit slow but better late then never.

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 22nd.

Amazing Spider-Man #574 - Flash Thompson filler. Solid read if nothing else.

Captain America #43 - I love Captain America, even though we've moved on to a new arc this issue it still feels like one big overarching story.

Ms. Marvel #32 - Last issue of Ms. Marvel was pretty forgetful, this months is much better. I swear Carol looks like Cammy (of Street Fighter fame) in the first panels. I really liked this issue, that torture scene was pretty brutal but Carol in her underwear wielding a sledgehammer is surprisingly hot. Looking forward to seeing how this "origins" arc will go.

New Avengers #46 - New Avengers Secret Invasion fillers are a lot better then the Mighty Avengers ones not that they are all that great but still. New Avengers #46 just fills in the gaps for The Hood and his motley crew. Nothing we haven't seen before but an entertaining read none the less. We also abruptly (final page cliffhanger) discover the source of The Hood's powers, whether or not this will be followed up sooner or later is another thing.

Secret Invasion #7 - Action packed, that's it for this issue. As a single issue I'm sort of disappointed with the lack of plot progress but I'm sure for those who plan to wait for the trade and read the whole Secret Invasion thing in one go they'll get more of a kick out of this. Yu's elongated faces still creep me out. Oh and god the last panel with the baby, ha ha what ..?

Thunderbolts #125 - And we conclude this mediocre Secret Invasion tie in, the Thunderbolts clean up their Skrull mess and the issue finishes up with them joining the big party. The only thing that was slightly interesting in this issue was the final two pages which might be a foreshadowing of one of the possible big changes to come after this whole Secret Invasion fiasco is over also might have some ties to what Ms. Marvel said about Norman in Ms. Marvel #31.

Burn
30th October 2008, 07:23 AM
Thunderbolts #125 - And we conclude this mediocre Secret Invasion tie in, the Thunderbolts clean up their Skrull mess and the issue finishes up with them joining the big party. The only thing that was slightly interesting in this issue was the final two pages which might be a foreshadowing of one of the possible big changes to come after this whole Secret Invasion fiasco is over also might have some ties to what Ms. Marvel said about Norman in Ms. Marvel #31.

I foresee next year's big story arc to be revolving around Norman.

They've been building him up in Thunderbolt's, he's taken a semi-lead role in SI, and I loved his little confrontation with Fury, and is ASM he's injected himself into local politics. Only a matter of time before he takes another step and make a power grab.

Pulse
31st October 2008, 12:29 AM
I ran across this (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24576437-5014239,00.html) & I thought you guys might get a kick out of it... :D (Some people are beyond help :D)

jacksplatt11
31st October 2008, 12:44 AM
I ran across this (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24576437-5014239,00.html) & I thought you guys might get a kick out of it... :D (Some people are beyond help :D)

Hmmm.. Only in Japan..

piratescratch
1st November 2008, 02:32 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 29th.

Amazing Spider-Man #575 - I really dug Bachalo's art back when he did that Mayan diety arc, I'm glad to see him back drawing for the new Hammerhead arc. Fun enjoyable issue, well paced, good writing and of course lovely art, definitely looking forward to next issue. Also jeez I really like the cover for this issue, I'd kill for a poster sized print of this (please Marvel please!).

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (35) - We finally get to find out who's behind the mask, Jackpot that is. Wow what an issue, what a dissapointing issue. Big revelation is that Jackpot ...
/SPOILER/OD's at the end, yep she just carks it at the end. Yeah what a way to kill her off. I know she was just some Brand New Day floozy but still I was expecting something more out of her character, dissapointing indeed. Issue ends with hints that Sarah might take up on the role as Jackpot./END SPOILER/

Avengers: The Initiatve #18 - Another jam packed issue. Back following the new Skrull Kill Krew and their Initiative team road trip taking out sleeper agents. I'm glad we're seeing some older graduates, Cloud 9 to be more precise though I must admit I do miss the naive strawberry panty wearing Abby that we got to know.

Giant-Size X-Men: First Class #1 - And we wrap up volume two of X-Men: First Class with a giant-size. Well this is one mediocre forgetful issue, evil plants and UFOs. The only thing I enjoyed out of this giant-size was the cooky Xavier short. Oh and please don't throw in some stupid Skrull secret invasion fluff at the end. Dissapointing end for such an enjoyable run.

Immortal Iron Fist #19 - Ahh always nice to see the other immortal weapons again. "Fat Cobra. Deadly. Fat." Brilliant writing or brilliant writing?. Other then that it feels like not much progress was made in this issue, we're left with a cliched cliffhanger.

Secret Invasion: Thor #3 - And with this we wrap up the Secret Invasion: Thor mini series. Story unfolded like any other Secret Invasion tie in but it's forgiven as Thor is seriously badass in this. I know the way they dealt with the super Skrull was extremely overkill but my god was it an awesome way to kill her off.

Secret Invasion: X-Men #3 - Boring. Ugly. Forgetful. Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four was my least favourite Secret Invasion mini series but this might take that spot. One more issue left for this, let's see what comes out of this.

Thor #11 - It's been how long since we've had an issue of Thor? Well it was worth the wait. Talking to Captain America, only JMS with Thor can pull that off without turning out like some cheap thrill. Oh and Thor walking down the side of a satellite, very cool. Once again another solid issue of Thor.

Wolverine: First Class #8 - Second part of the Zone of Alienation story. Typical First Class fluff here. This whole story was pretty average, I mean I liked that bonus short at the end more then this whole thing, then again I have a soft spot for Colleen Coover's art.

X-Force #8 - A bit more light hearted compared to the previous X-Force issues. Here we have the team hunting Vanisher which is quite a fun read, I really liked the hospital scene. Also nice to see Domino and I wonder if Elixir will end up staying as permanet or semi-permanent member of the team. I'm liking where X-Force is heading, sure the gruesome grim dark opening arc looked lovely but I must admit it was a bit hard to swallow.

Burn
1st November 2008, 05:45 PM
Secret Invasion: X-Men #3 - Boring. Ugly. Forgetful. Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four was my least favourite Secret Invasion mini series but this might take that spot. One more issue left for this, let's see what comes out of this.

I quite enjoyed it actually. I am looking forward to the final part just to see how far Summers will go.

Thor #11 - It's been how long since we've had an issue of Thor? Well it was worth the wait. Talking to Captain America, only JMS with Thor can pull that off without turning out like some cheap thrill. Oh and Thor walking down the side of a satellite, very cool. Once again another solid issue of Thor.

Oh this was a DAMN good issue. I kept expecting the "ghost" to be some evil thing that was having a go at Thor, but it was the genuine article, and the dialogue was superbly written.

And what Thor did to honour him, very moving and very well done.

piratescratch
2nd November 2008, 12:09 AM
Speaking of Secret Invasion, have you heard Burn that final issue (#8) got delayed until December 3rd! I think I recall hearing something about it being a double sized issue as well?

Boo-urns is all I can say.

Burn
2nd November 2008, 08:19 AM
I actually follow very little in the way of comic news, just read whatever comes out.

I think the delay will be fine as it will allow them to (hopefully) finish up all the tie-ins.

But at this point, how would you rate Secret Invasion?

Personally, i've enjoyed most of it. Rushed in some places, stalled in others, but overall it's been a pretty good arc. And Marvel have done a pretty good job with non-SI titles to keep me occupied.

Sadly, DC and their Final Crisis is severly lacking with it only really igniting my interest with the Rise of the Red Lanterns. (Bring on Blackest Night!)

STL
2nd November 2008, 10:58 PM
I actually follow very little in the way of comic news, just read whatever comes out.

I think the delay will be fine as it will allow them to (hopefully) finish up all the tie-ins.

But at this point, how would you rate Secret Invasion?

Personally, i've enjoyed most of it. Rushed in some places, stalled in others, but overall it's been a pretty good arc. And Marvel have done a pretty good job with non-SI titles to keep me occupied.

Sadly, DC and their Final Crisis is severly lacking with it only really igniting my interest with the Rise of the Red Lanterns. (Bring on Blackest Night!)

Delays are inevitable with the two major companies these days and that's partially a function of the fact that fans do not care about when the product is delivered. And they're part of the problem b/c the companies only redress that issue if fans care. It makes little difference to me these days.

SI for me is just hype and no story. Its got its twists and turns but really its no different to any of Marvels other crossovers. It's built on marketing and not substance.

But I agree, Blackest Night is something I anticipate!

EDIT:
Just read Captain America #39 nad #40 (yes, I'm behind!) but damn those are two fast and heavy issues. Bloody Sin! I wanted to slap her out myself. I think its been awhile since I've reacted to an ending. I'm normally just interested/curious but this time I felt my heart strings tugged!

piratescratch
3rd November 2008, 04:14 PM
Secret Invasion has been a fun read, the central series that is, looking forward to the hardcover whenever that might be due. The tie ins and miniseries' however have been pretty average or just plain filler (looking at Mighty Avengers direction here).

I'm with STL here, it's been all hype and build up but it just hasn't been able to deliver the goods yet, of course this could all change with the final issue; eight. Hoping for some big ramifications and a good shake up to the Marvel status quo.

Paulbot
3rd November 2008, 05:40 PM
Hoping for some big ramifications and a good shake up to the Marvel status quo.

I'm really sick of changes to the status quo and the constant cycle of crossover/aftermath/lead-in-to-next-crossover that Marvel's been stuck in for years.

I'm a diehard X-Men fan but it was status-quo changes that made me stop collecting those comics back in 1998. One too many. They won me back but while I understand why they do it (events/reboots sell comics) it annoys me.

House of M was alright story (but one that had been done before) and Decimation was a disaster (and a story done before!). I'm glad that the X-Men have mostly been left out of Secret Invasion since the X-Men did that story 100 issues ago anyway.

roller
3rd November 2008, 08:05 PM
has anyone ever read "the lost books of Eve" ?

If i had the money i would buy the "complete cartoons of the New Yorker" bloody book costs $200:eek:

piratescratch
3rd November 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm really sick of changes to the status quo and the constant cycle of crossover/aftermath/lead-in-to-next-crossover that Marvel's been stuck in for years.

I'm a diehard X-Men fan but it was status-quo changes that made me stop collecting those comics back in 1998. One too many. They won me back but while I understand why they do it (events/reboots sell comics) it annoys me.

House of M was alright story (but one that had been done before) and Decimation was a disaster (and a story done before!). I'm glad that the X-Men have mostly been left out of Secret Invasion since the X-Men did that story 100 issues ago anyway.

As the Skrulls say; embrace change. :p

But no I get where you are coming from. I don't mind status quo changes but I'm with you with alll these "big Marvel events", I'd like a break from them as well.

I guess it's just after all this hype for Secret Invasion I'd feel a bit shafted if nothing gets shaken up in the Marvel universe when this "event" ends.

loophole
3rd November 2008, 08:46 PM
but then they will just change it again anyway as though SI or the next "big" event never happened *cough* spiderman in civil war *cough*

STL
4th November 2008, 12:22 PM
X-Men: First Class has been cancelled! I just read that on the X-Axis review guy's blog. Really disappointed as though I didn't collect that title monthly, I thoroughly enjoyed the trades and have each one to date. They've apparently got a final mini-series that has a very imaginative name: "X-Men: First Class - Finals".

'Twas a quality book while it lasted

piratescratch
4th November 2008, 12:41 PM
X-Men: First Class has been cancelled! I just read that on the X-Axis review guy's blog. Really disappointed as though I didn't collect that title monthly, I thoroughly enjoyed the trades and have each one to date. They've apparently got a final mini-series that has a very imaginative name: "X-Men: First Class - Finals".

'Twas a quality book while it lasted

So what there will be no volume three?

I knew last weeks giant sized was the last issue for volume two but I was expecting X-Men: First Class to return later in 2009.

Well this is sad to hear.

STL
4th November 2008, 12:52 PM
So what there will be no volume three?

I knew last weeks giant sized was the last issue for volume two but I was expecting X-Men: First Class to return later in 2009.

Well this is sad to hear.

Just a mini is all I know. What I'm surprised at these days is how many titles get the flick without even a whimper. Used to be you'd know even if a title ranking in the 100s got cancelled down. There are a few titles you don't even know about like in recent times Heroes 4 Hire and New Warriors.

Paulbot
4th November 2008, 08:23 PM
I never got into First Class. I read the first eight issues in the trade but wasn't hooked.

I've never read NYX either but I am so glad to read tonight that Dr Reyes has been saved from the "implied off-screen death at Mutant Concentration Camp limbo" she'd been in. It was the status quo reboot that kicked Cecilia off the X-Men that was my breaking point back in X-Men's #80s.

STL
5th November 2008, 09:53 AM
Just read that Birds of Prey, Robin and Nightwing got cancelled. :( But I reckon there's something behind it, all related to Batman RiP so I'm not too worried though if that's not the case I'll be very peeved as BoP is one of my favourite DC titles

Autoplex
5th November 2008, 10:11 AM
Just read that Birds of Prey, Robin and Nightwing got cancelled. :( But I reckon there's something behind it, all related to Batman RiP so I'm not too worried though if that's not the case I'll be very peeved as BoP is one of my favourite DC titles

Robin and Nightwing are being Cancelled? How confirmed is this?

STL
5th November 2008, 10:31 AM
Robin and Nightwing are being Cancelled? How confirmed is this?

Very (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110804-GothamCancellations.html). :(

Paulbot
5th November 2008, 11:05 AM
A while back I read something about Robin and Nightwing becoming new titles, not really cancelled as such. But that was in the gossip around the ending of Batman's RIP story.

Burn
5th November 2008, 11:05 PM
Getting back to Marvel's "big story arcs" of the last few years, don't forget what DC started.

It began with 52. A weekly comic that would lead into their big story arc for the year (which turned out to be a fizzler), which was then immediately followed by Countdown, which later became Countdown to Final Crisis, which lead into Final Crisis, which is rapidly going no where. And now we have Trinity which frankly is bloody awful and I dread the big story arc it's suppose to lead into next year.

So Marvel may be doing a few big story arcs, but DC's doing just as many. And the other thing too is that Marvel's story arcs actually impact on the regular titles. DC's don't seem to be doing that. I mean really, they're still wrapping up Batman R.I.P. with the other Batman titles basically saying Bruce has gone, but in the big story arcs Bruce is still around.

piratescratch
9th November 2008, 07:33 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 5th.

Amazing Spider-Man #576 - Part two of the Hammerhead arc. I know I mentioned I dig the art but I have to say Bachalo does draw some odd looking people especially Pete in some panels. Other then that fun conclusion to a short yet very enjoyable story arc.

Avengers: The Initiative Special #1 - So this is set after Secret Invasion for those who want to know. We finally get a few answers to Hardball and Hydra. Actually there's nothing really stellar about Hardball and what he does under the table for Hydra, bit of a dissapointment there, looks like all he just runs the odd errand/mission for them. So Komodo finds out, does the girlfriend thing and trys to help, things don't go as planned, some what predictable twist at the end. We also get a Trauma short, a bit about his past is revealed, "big" dun dun dun at the end, probably see more of this in later issues.

Civil War: House of M #3 - Average read, nothing spectacular but nothing bad. Fans of the House of M event might want to check this out but if you're giving this mini series a pass well you're not really missing out on anything. two more issues left I hope this mini series picks up a bit.

Invincible Iron Man #7 - This issue is pretty much just an epilogue to the opening arc with an extended Spider-Man cameo. I still cringe at the art and inking. But other then that it was a solid read, more focus on character development then big action. I'm looking forward to seeing where Invincible Iron Man takes us.

Marvel Zombies 3 #2 - Best read for the week. I love Marvel Zombies and well issue two of the third Marvel Zombies series gets two thumbs up. It's fun, bloody with gratuitous amounts of limb dismemberment, everything that makes a good Marvel Zombies issue. Machine Man is an absolute blast to follow, calling Jacosta a "ho-bot" was definitely the highlight of the issue for me. Marvel Zombies 3 is definitely shaping up to be an awesome read if this keeps up. I'm also liking the Evil Dead homage with the next issue preview cover with Jacosta. Speaking of covers I do miss Suydam's covers.

Ms. Marvel Special: Storyteller #1 - We remember Gavin from last years Ms. Marvel Binary Special right? I was expecting a bit more from this one shot, expecting some more Marvel pirate action (god Marvel Pirates, they should totally do that, it can't possible turn out worse then Marvel Apes). Storyteller ends up being a pretty straight forward by the books one shot, it's a decent read but nothing worth recommending unless you're a Ms. Marvel fan or you want to see her in a pirate corset.

Ultimatum #1 - Only thing I've read from the Ultimates universe is Ultimates 1 and 2, both I love to death. Didn't bother with 3 as I haven't heard anything good about it. I decided to check out the first issue of Ultimatum because, well because I guess I'm a sucker for these "big" events. Meh is how I'd sum up my thoughts towards the first issue, I'm probably a bit more lax towards this because I have very little knowledge of the Ultimates universe, I'm sure sure readers of the Ultimates titles can scrutinize this issue some more.

Burn
9th November 2008, 08:12 PM
Suprise read for the week for me was "Adam - Legend of the Blue Marvel".

It's a 4 issue mini-series, first issue introduces us to the character of the Blue Marvel, a super hero from the 60's.

Who just happens to be black.

At a time when racial intolerance was ripe.

It was an interesting read and got me thinking of just how a black super hero would have coped in a world where people condemned him for the colour of his skin, not to mention how nervous it made the American government having a "negro" who could wipe out their army.

STL
9th November 2008, 11:56 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 5th.

Ultimatum #1 - Only thing I've read from the Ultimates universe is Ultimates 1 and 2, both I love to death. Didn't bother with 3 as I haven't heard anything good about it. I decided to check out the first issue of Ultimatum because, well because I guess I'm a sucker for these "big" events. Meh is how I'd sum up my thoughts towards the first issue, I'm probably a bit more lax towards this because I have very little knowledge of the Ultimates universe, I'm sure sure readers of the Ultimates titles can scrutinize this issue some more.

I'm surprised at how convoluted its all become though. Ultimatum was supposed to a freedom of expression from the original 616 universe but this "whole connected" thing has not helped and goes against the essence of what Marvel tried to make the appeal of the line. I was never a supporter of the line but I always thought the Ultimates broad appeal was how free it was.

Or maybe Marvel are just redefining the brand? Realising that its 616's continuity and impact on everything that is rejuvenating 616 which many 4 years ago said was dying and should be replaced by the Ultimate universe.

jacksplatt11
12th November 2008, 02:57 PM
Just finished Crisis on Infinite Earths.. It started out pretty slow, but at the end really got going and overall I enjoyed it.. I suppose when it first came out 20 odd years ago it would've been very different to what people had experienced so far..

I guess I should probably read Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis now

TheDirtyDigger
12th November 2008, 03:06 PM
Just finished Crisis on Infinite Earths..

Great story. It was my grail of comics for a long time as I only ever had Issue 4 (an Australian colour reprint) when I was a kid and it always had me wondering what happened after it.
Because large comic crossovers had never been done on that scale or with all the characters of a single universe before it really was a benchmark series.
I ended up finding all the single issues about a decade ago for a great price. :)

piratescratch
14th November 2008, 11:30 PM
piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 12th.

Amazing Spider-Man #577 - Spidey and Punisher team up with this extra big issue, feels like a giant sized. The story is split in two with an interlude short story featuring Jonah getting accused of being the spider tracer killer, nothing terribly interesting, might be a lead up to a possible future story arc. Anyway an enjoyable self contained story in this issue, nothing particularly outstanding but it's a solid read.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #4 - So far the second "season" of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane feels more like the Mary Jane and Mary Jane Homecoming comics then the first Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. There's a lot more Mary Jane and school life drama then Mary Jane and her crush on Spider-Man. Not a bad thing but not really a riveting read.

Yeah slow week this week. But the next few weeks look ace.

STL
28th November 2008, 12:40 AM
The top 25 Comic Battles of all Time (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=topxx)

I don't care about the greatest battles and biggest brawls generally but it sure is an entertaining read and having a look at some of the memorable brawls in DC/Marvel history.

jacksplatt11
28th November 2008, 01:29 AM
That's a good read, and I'm happy that I actually own some TPBs that contain some of those fights

piratescratch
2nd December 2008, 10:57 PM
Secret Invasion #8, two* three more days guys!

Then we can bring on Dark Reign!

This week looks absolutely ace, there's a lot for me to look forward, there's;
- Amazing Spider-Man #579
- Immortal Iron Fist #20
- Marvel Zombies 3 #3
- New Avengers #47
- Secret Invasion #8 (well duh!)
- Weapon X: First Class #2
- What If? House of M #1
- X-Men Noir #1
- X-Infernus

Oh wow.

*According to the Marvel website, this weeks comics will be hitting shelves on Thursday (4th) which means Friday (5th) for us here in Australia. I wonder why it's not the usual Wednesday/Thursday?

STL
2nd December 2008, 11:09 PM
*According to the Marvel website, this weeks comics will be hitting shelves on Thursday (4th) which means Friday (5th) for us here in Australia. I wonder why it's not the usual Wednesday/Thursday?

Was it thanksgiving holiday and the subsequent Black Friday or somethin'?

blackie
2nd December 2008, 11:13 PM
Was it thanksgiving holiday and the subsequent Black Friday or somethin'?

they have a friday dedicated to me??? gosh im cool

STL
2nd December 2008, 11:32 PM
they have a friday dedicated to me??? gosh im cool

:rolleyes: some people need to really get over themselves. :p

blackie
2nd December 2008, 11:34 PM
:rolleyes: some people need to really get over themselves. :p

ZOMG the pot calling the kettle black, but in my case i am, but still.... :P

piratescratch
4th December 2008, 10:56 PM
Secret Invasion #8 ...

Hmm what can I say?

Spoilers ahead.

/START SPOILERS/

Most of this final issue felt like an epilogue, which isn't a bad thing but because of that Janet and Skrull Queens death seemed rushed.

So the Skrulls kept all the people they impersonated alive and they all happily return back to Earth at the end. Wow what a kick in the balls that is, after all those New and Mighty Avengers issues dealing with Skrulls planting sleeper agents by secretly (and violently) snuffing out Earth's heroes, now those issues just feel cheap (? - I don't know how to exactly describe what I feel). Guess Marvel can't afford to shake up the status quo that much can they? I think that was the biggest let down for me.

Final page was definitely a lovely clincher, I'm looking forward to seeing what this "Evil Illuminati" has in store for the Marvel universe.

/END SPOILERS/

All in all Secret Invasion wasn't bad, it's like a summer blockbuster of comic book events. Lots oh hype, lots of flash, bit low on the substance.

Bring on Dark Reign!

STL
4th December 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm surprised Piratescratch your fatigue hasn't kicked in. Mine is and that's despite me not even following the stuff recently. Sounds like a let down and not the shake up we all expected.

piratescratch
5th December 2008, 10:17 AM
I got burnt out with most of the tie ins for Secret Invasion, namely most of the New and Mighty Avenger ones.

Paulbot
5th December 2008, 11:17 PM
I am not impressed at all by the end of Secret Invasion.

What a cheap way to bring back a character that's been dead for something like 15 years, and to only bring one back, guess she's someone's favourite.

But mostly and totally I'm not impressed by the implication that Emma Frost is still evil. She's been on the X-Men's side since 1994 and we just had the "can we trust her" story done and dealt with in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. The best and only lasting addition to the X-Men team in the last decade is being set up as 'still evil'? Bah to that.

Burn
7th December 2008, 10:56 PM
As an ending, Secret Invasion was wrapped up too quickly.

However, it has set things up for a promising (for the reader) future. Frontline finished nicely, still preferred the old style better though.

One thing that REALLY annoyed me with Frontline however was Iron Man. Wearing the modern day suit while in the main SI title Stark was forced to use a pre-Starktech suit which was significantly different in looks. Artists really dropped the ball on that one.

Of course other things wrapped up this week as well. "True Believers", nice little mini-series, hope to see more of them down the track.

And of course we begin the end of Batman with R.I.P. and Last Rites beginning. Truly suprised by DC's decision to cancel Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey with Batman and Detective Comics taking a temporary break. To me it seems like a big gamble to not only have one of their biggest characters disappear, but to also shelve (temporarily for some) of it's big titles. Give 'em credit for taking the gamble! I hope it pays off in the long run.

piratescratch
8th December 2008, 11:13 PM
One thing that REALLY annoyed me with Frontline however was Iron Man. Wearing the modern day suit while in the main SI title Stark was forced to use a pre-Starktech suit which was significantly different in looks. Artists really dropped the ball on that one.

That reminds me of a recent continuity error, in Ms. Marvel #32, Carol's left arm getting smashed in by a hammer then in #33 we see her right arm in a cast.

STL
9th December 2008, 12:26 AM
Via my e-mail; this mob is having a sale. On Chapel Street. Might be good for some cheap trades as they're pretty well stocked. I'd go but comics is quickly becoming an afterthought as novels are currently occupying me atm
__________________________________________________ ___________________

76 Chapel Street, Windsor, 3181, Vic, Australia
(03) 9529 2255 Fx (03) 9529 2040
http://www.alternateworlds.com.au/

Huge Christmas Sale
Saturday December 6th to Saturday December 13th, 2008

Discounts up to 80% off RRP

(Excludes new releases, latest comic issues and pre-discounted items)

Email and phone orders accepted, with payment details.

TheDirtyDigger
9th December 2008, 05:11 AM
Usually everything but their trades are on sale. This is my local (and favourite) comic shop though and there was a mass of figures I scored cheap at their last Christmas sale.

Paulbot
9th December 2008, 09:18 AM
I've been to that sale a few times and usually come away disappointed. Probably will still go though.

TheDirtyDigger
9th December 2008, 10:01 AM
You have to get in early. Last year I lined up 45 minutes before opening and ended up with a massive swag of goodies. Trying to find the pic but I think it's on the old board.

roller
9th December 2008, 10:50 AM
There is a girl i know, she likes Marvel and DC stuff, so i have to read up on her fave, the Green lantern, like a bloody school assignment:rolleyes:

piratescratch
12th January 2009, 10:49 PM
Been a while since I posted here at OTCA, I need to rectify that.

Come on guys where's the comic book loving?

So Marvel's Dark Reign is go.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/254/1231605386072kt0.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1231605386072kt0.jpg)

Another look at the upcoming Dark Avengers team.

Well that Wolverine is obviously Daken, it's a given from those arm tattoos.

Still going with Moonstone in that Ms. Marvel getup.

Bullseye in the Hawkeye getup.

Speculations/guesses for the Iron Patriot and the black costume Spidey?

Dark Avengers #1 is due out 21st January.

loophole
12th January 2009, 11:17 PM
Come on guys where's the comic book loving?

i really do need to go hit a comic shop its been about 3 weeks now, starting to get the shakes

STL
12th January 2009, 11:50 PM
I've been a bit lax myself but should mention one the memorable stories I read recently was the latest TPB of Criminal. Great noir stuff. The art complements the story so well.

In terms of individual comics, I just got through Secret Six #1 and its a great start to the series

jacksplatt11
12th January 2009, 11:59 PM
I'm currently reading The Watchmen, really enjoying it so far, reading issue 4 at the moment

STL
20th January 2009, 12:02 AM
I just read up to Thunderbolts #127 and I have to say that the book was very good. It made me hate characters and care for others which is always a good sign b/c it tells me the writer's actually making me care about the book rather than just another one of the 40 comics I read a month. Andy Diggle I believe it was? And it makes me kinda interested in where Norman Osborn is going though I have to say that it does make me shake my head to see years of continuity slapped in the face w/ the public somehow accepting he's bad. Sure, guys like Hitler/Bush all came to power despite how bad they were as leaders but this is a proven supervillain with a record that could stretch all the way to the Artic Circle. There's no way he'd get pass all that. All SHIELD or anyone has to do is release that information and he's a goner. Very contrived, and a sad departure from the old days. These days, they'll conveniently ignore everything they don't like for the sake of a good story. In the old days, they'd be inventive.

Ironically, as much as I dislike Marvel these days, I still read a lot of their stuff. :rolleyes: A lot of their lower tier books are written very well I guess and that's what I prefer to concentrate on.

Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy knock it out of the park completely for instance. Thor is rock solid though it comes out every few months. Daredevil and Captain America are two of the really strong titles that probably deserve their top billing.

But as a mate and myself remarked over the weekend, comics will die. No doubt about it. It will shrink and shrink b/c all it ever does is alienate its existing fanbase and render them into casual readers (which is what I've ultimately become). The latest instance was probably Spider-Man. Though I didn't read it and didn't care for it, I can see a lot of ppl resenting the move b/c it blew away everything they invested emotionally in. That type of stuff just makes u give up as a fan. Sales numbers outside of the event arcs are always spiralling downwards and then looking at the games, DVDs it competes against, it just isn't going to stand up in the long haul.

Too many writers and artists think they're superstars. They're not. They write for an industry that has at best 1,000,000 readers (and that's me being extraordinarily generous) in a global population of 5 billion. They're a bunch of inflated egos who really need to rethink their business model b/c if comic prices keep going up, comics will eventually be an incredibly niche and forgotten about medium. That's not something I'd like to see having been an enthusiast for so long.

piratescratch
20th January 2009, 01:41 PM
I started reading Thunderbolts from #110, where Ellis' run began, I'm with you STL Thunderbolts is definitely a top read. Caged Angels is a stellar arc (#116 - #121).

Sadly though the same couldn't be said with the Secret Invasion tie ins (#122 - #125). Mediocre at best.

Luckily it's picked up with the current run with Diggle (#125 onwards). I'm especially looking forward to the new Thunderbolts team and the upcoming crossover with Deadpool.

Also want to mention that Thunderbolts has the best cover art (minus the Secret Invasion ones).

Paulbot
20th January 2009, 01:45 PM
Funny thing about Thunderbolts is it seems now that "Dark Avengers" have stolen their original gimmick! :)

STL
20th January 2009, 10:38 PM
Funny thing about Thunderbolts is it seems now that "Dark Avengers" have stolen their original gimmick! :)

And Bendis will get the credit for it again which is what annoys me.

In other reading, got through Fraction's Iron Man #7 which while was the okay was way too predictable and Spidey seemed to try way too hard to be funny.

jacksplatt11
21st January 2009, 12:11 AM
I finished The Watchmen the other day, easily the best comic/graphic novel I've read. I haven't read a great deal so it's probably not saying much, but you get what I mean. The story telling was excellent, at no point was I ever bored, and there was plenty of twists etc to keep you interested. The art was superb, at no point was I struggling to work out what was going on, everything was clear. It was more like a good novel than a comic, Alan Moore knows how to write a good story

Looking forward to the movie, which going by the trailer that I just saw, looks pretty much shot for shot the same as the comic, which should be a good thing. Hopefully it can stay pretty close to the source material.

STL
21st January 2009, 01:21 AM
I finished The Watchmen the other day, easily the best comic/graphic novel I've read. I haven't read a great deal so it's probably not saying much, but you get what I mean. The story telling was excellent, at no point was I ever bored, and there was plenty of twists etc to keep you interested. The art was superb, at no point was I struggling to work out what was going on, everything was clear. It was more like a good novel than a comic, Alan Moore knows how to write a good story

Looking forward to the movie, which going by the trailer that I just saw, looks pretty much shot for shot the same as the comic, which should be a good thing. Hopefully it can stay pretty close to the source material.

U shld probably explain it to me next time. I've never quite gotten into Alan Moore. I think his Supreme was awesome and I loved that but it was dense. Watchmen was even more so and his Promethea was rock hard and I never got into that. I gave up after the second trade (and I bought all 5 at the same time!)

autobreadticon
21st January 2009, 09:04 PM
I just read Spotlight Ultra Magnus , how can i explain it lack a good story and didn't have flow, but i did read the new avengers and transformers and like the character contrast between the autobots and superheroes, e.g Prowl attitude was similar to that of Wolverine.

piratescratch
24th January 2009, 12:44 PM
Just a note. If you picked up Dark Avengers #1 and Mighty Avengers #21 this week, do read Dark Avengers first. Might Avengers spoils the big reveal at the end of Dark Avengers.

Sky Shadow
24th January 2009, 05:20 PM
Just a note. If you picked up Dark Avengers #1 and Mighty Avengers #21 this week, do read Dark Avengers first. Might Avengers spoils the big reveal at the end of Dark Avengers.

I don't think it really matters one way or another. Regardless of which title you read first, the 'reveal' isn't exactly revelatory. Actually, it would be more interesting to read Mighty Avengers #21 first. It would require fairly low reading comprehension skills for someone to be reading Dark Avengers #1 and be surprised by anything at the end of it.

STL
3rd February 2009, 11:41 PM
The Top 25 Comic Rivalries. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=topxx&id=6)

Again, not necessarily that I agree but its a thoroughly fun read.

jacksplatt11
6th February 2009, 01:59 AM
I just finished reading Spiderman: Blue. Really enjoyed it, I liked how in only 6 books, Loeb and Sale managed to fit in so much, without it feeling too busy or rushed. I mean, the amount of enemies Spiderman fights and also what happened in Peter Parker's personal life would take up more than 6 books you would think, but they managed to fit it all in perfectly. Great art too, similar in parts to The Long Halloween (obviously) but a little less refined I feel, which suits the less serious side of Spiderman, compared to the more dark and serious Batman. Really enjoy the Loeb and Sale partnership, I've only read 2 of their pieces of work, but I would pretty safely say I would enjoy anything they have put out. I saw Daredevil: Yellow at the library so while I'm not a huge fan of Daredevil, I'll give it a go given their track record.

Currently reading Superman: Red Son, and then am going to read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vols 1 and 2

TheDirtyDigger
6th February 2009, 07:16 AM
Really enjoy the Loeb and Sale partnership, I've only read 2 of their pieces of work, but I would pretty safely say I would enjoy anything they have put out

Currently reading Superman: Red Son, and then am going to read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vols 1 and 2

Dark Victory is a must read then (and follow up to The Long Halloween).

LXG is great. Really entertaining reading. Hyde is such a sweet and funny guy! I've just finished League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier.

Also recommended for comic readers would have to be the Brian Azzarello scribed 'Joker' graphic novel. Awesome story and more based on the Heath Ledger Joker.

jacksplatt11
6th February 2009, 10:42 AM
Yep Digger, Dark Victory is on my list, I'll keep an eye out for this "Joker" too

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2009, 08:13 PM
I just read "Infinite Crisis"... wow. I'd love to see something like this done for Transformers. The closest we had was Transformers Armada's "World's Collide Saga" where Transformers from different multiverses crossed over etc., but it wasn't anywhere near on the epic scale as Infinite Crisis.

Now I need to read Crisis On Infinite Earths. :p (again, a story I've heard about but never read)

I'm not really much a DC reader... I just found this book in my school library and decided to borrow it. :) If they have Crisis On Infinite Earths I'll borrow that too.

jacksplatt11
6th February 2009, 08:17 PM
Haha, Gok you started with the wrong one :p I've read Crisis but yeah, now I need to read Infinite, it's on my things to read list. You're right though, they are pretty epic

Sky Shadow
6th February 2009, 08:36 PM
I just read "Infinite Crisis"... wow. I'd love to see something like this done for Transformers. The closest we had was Transformers Armada's "World's Collide Saga" where Transformers from different multiverses crossed over etc., but it wasn't anywhere near on the epic scale as Infinite Crisis.

Crisis On Infinite Earths is far better than Infinite Crisis, although at the time (in the eighties) I hated it because it ruined my favourite non-Transformers comic, Infinity Inc. (Infinity Inc was set on Earth 2, where the first generation of super heroes had grown up, so the team included Batman and Catwoman's daughter, Superman's cousin, Wonder Woman's daughter and many others, all of which had to be retconned when DC streamlined their universe.) Furman was obviously a Crisis reader - much of what he did with Primus and Unicron in TFUK #150 and TFUS #75 was clearly descended from COIE.

Final Crisis just finished last week. It was... interesting. :)

Burn
6th February 2009, 10:33 PM
Final Crisis just finished last week. It was... interesting. :)

As big "summer comic events" go, Secret Invasion won for me.

I probably should go back and re-read Final Crisis, but a lot of it just didn't make sense to me. But I think the most disappointing thing for me was waiting week after week for another part of Batman R.I.P. ... and it was all for nothing because his fate was revealed in the Final Crisis books.

Oh well, back to the stars for War of Kings (considering it's following on from Annihilation and Annihilation:Conquest, it's got a lot to live up to) and Blackest Night!

komikskolektor
7th February 2009, 11:30 AM
Finished reading Secret Invasion
Currently reading MARVELS : EYE OF THE CAMERA

Great ARt by Leinil's fellow Filipino artist Jay Anacleto

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/airfx12/493e70c9.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
7th February 2009, 09:00 PM
I hated it because it ruined my favourite non-Transformers comic, Infinity Inc. (Infinity Inc was set on Earth 2,

Oh man I share that pain. I still have the first 9-10 issues of Infinity Inc. and I always grab an All Star Squadron and Secret Society of Super Villains when I see them cheap. It was just as I was loving the whole infinite universe concept that the Crisis came and blew it all away!

jacksplatt11
11th February 2009, 01:43 AM
Just finished Daredevil: Yellow. While I must say I did enjoy the storytelling and the art, I didn't quite enjoy the story, but that is more because I'm not the biggest Daredevil fan going around, to be honest I wouldn't call myself a Daredevil fan at all haha, but putting that aside it was a good read. STL and lcz informed me there is a Hulk: Grey and an upcoming Captain America: White so I'll definitely be checking those out.

Earlier I finished Superman: Red Son. Definitely a different version of a famous character. Wasn't my favourite read ever but very a very interesting concept, and overall I did enjoy it, but I can't see myself ever reading it again unlike some of my other favourite reads.

So, now to read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Or one STL's Xmen books I borrowed like Days of Future Past. Or, maybe my recently purchased Kingdom Come? Hmmm... Or maybe Superman VS Batman VS Alien VS Predator or some nonsense I found at the library haha, I don't have high hopes for that one...

Paulbot
11th February 2009, 08:52 AM
I read that last one after borrowiing from the library. It's not really worth it, but those other books sure are.

piratescratch
11th February 2009, 09:45 AM
So who else is pumped for Thor #600 (#13) tomorrow?

Preview (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2010&disp=table) - I'm sure it's going to be one unforgettable top notch issue.

Also with NYCC, has there been any announcements or news that have caught your interest?

For me a few things that have caught my eye:

- X-Force: Sex and Violence with Wolverine and my favourite Domino, I'm looking forward to that.

- Dark Reign: Young Avengers. I really liked the Young Avengers team, their short lived run was most enjoyable, and the Presents mini gave us a nice insight into them. Glad they're back for Dark Reign and it looks like they'll be butting heads with the "Dark" Young Avengers.

- Lockjaw & the Pet Avengers. I don't know. This sounds pretty silly but I think I'll give this a try.

- Marvel Super Hero Squad cartoon announced.

Paulbot
11th February 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm very interested in the idea of X-Men Forever, Claremont picking up from issue 4 of X-Men Vol 2 as if he never left, but I'm not sure how good it will actually be.

Sky Shadow
11th February 2009, 10:14 AM
I'm very interested in the idea of X-Men Forever, Claremont picking up from issue 4 of X-Men Vol 2 as if he never left, but I'm not sure how good it will actually be.

Me too - that was my generation of X-Men, so just the nostalgia value should be good enough, even if Claremont's writing has gone downhill over the past couple of decades. I like Tom Grummett's work too - he was one of my favourite artists in the nineties so he should hopefully fit in well to a 'nineties' feel for the title. In Year Seven, I chopped up one of my... um... eight... copies of X-Men #1, glued the pictures over my school folder and put clear contact over the top. :)

Paulbot
11th February 2009, 10:40 AM
In Year Seven, I chopped up one of my... um... eight... copies of X-Men #1, glued the pictures over my school folder and put clear contact over the top. :)
Ha! I did the same thing, but I photocopied pages from the comic (I only had three copies) :)

STL
11th February 2009, 12:05 PM
I didn't cut the covers cos I didn't have 'em but I'm sure I would've otherwise. :)

I'm pretty interested in this since like u guys, it was the beginning of my reading. Most likely will pick this up in trade tho as I'm trying to cut back.

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2009, 03:11 PM
One of my colleagues was dressed up as Thor today during school assembly. :p

Unfortunately it wasn't to do with comic books... our sport houses are named after Norse Gods and he's the patron teacher for Thor house. :) As a Woodwork teacher he brought too wooden hammers for his props. I pointed at them and remarked, "Mjolnir is made from wood!" -- nobody got it. :( He had a blonde wig on which I fondled. ;)

jacksplatt11
16th February 2009, 05:47 PM
After a not so subtle urging from Digger, I read Kingdom Come. I knew, from the internet and from talking to other people, that it was good so my expectations were high, and I was not disappointed. A great story, kept me interested from start to finish, luckily I didn't have any appointments or anything, because once I sat down I didn't sit up till I was finished. Highly engrossing from start to finish. The art was of course perfect, but what else would you expect from Alex Ross. He really is a true artist, seeing his art in a museum wouldn't be out of place. So yeah, easily one of my favourites. I bought the trade, but I dare say when I get a bit of money from working or scholarships, I'll be buying the Absolute Edition.

Now, onto The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, hopefully get through them over tonight and tomorrow

EDIT: I also just realised I forgot to mention all the little easter eggs in the art, ie Rorschach in the club scene, "Under the Hood" by Hollis Mason in the window of a store, those little things that you just notice

STL
19th February 2009, 11:57 PM
Marvel May 2009 Solicitations (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20075)

Very pissed off at the trade prices. They're very ridiculous these days from a value point of view. It keeps killing any shred of goodwill I have left for Marvel.

Onto things in the month, that X-Men Wall Poster looks very appealing. I remember unfolding my X-Men #1 to see it and gawking at it for hours and hours as a kid. Probably a must get.

War of Kings looks to be very interestign too. Havok (one of my favourites) mixes in with Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Inhumans, Kree, Shi'ar and so on. Looks awesome.

Sky Shadow
20th February 2009, 12:07 AM
Onto things in the month, that X-Men Wall Poster looks very appealing. I remember unfolding my X-Men #1 to see it and gawking at it for hours and hours as a kid.

Me too. They used to have the 'door poster' on the ceiling of a local games shop in Canberra. I was envious.

jacksplatt11
20th February 2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah those prices suck, need more money dammit

War of Kings does look pretty sweet, Havok is pretty cool yeah, and although I've never read anything involving Nova he looks pretty cool too

On another note, I just read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1, I'll save comments till I've read vol 2 as well, I will say I enjoyed it though

STL
20th February 2009, 12:32 AM
Yeah those prices suck, need more money dammit

Wait, what was the reason why I couldn't head down to Collector's Edge with you?

War of Kings does look pretty sweet, Havok is pretty cool yeah, and although I've never read anything involving Nova he looks pretty cool too

Havok's pretty cool. I'm biased but I like him b/c he's always been the younger more hotheaded brother living up to the older brother type. Also his costume in the 90s was pretty awesome.

Nova is ultimately a Green Lantern knock off. Yes, he's got different layers to GL now but the essential concept is similar. Me? I like both of them.

DC Solicitiations May 2009 (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20068)

No Green Lantern that month! :mad: JLA is killing me, I think I'm going to drop it too. Really can't justify it anymore - so pedestrian. JSA is great tho I wonder how the new creative team will go.

And I'm very iffy on the Battle for the Cowl. Tony Daniel is a great artist, brilliant, but I'm not sure if I want to pick this up cos it could open a whole new can of batman worms.

The next HC for GL is out too. One thing I must say when I look at DCs trades. They have so much more legs than Marvels. I look at some of the titles and I see why. With Marvel, its more of a flavour o the month thing

Burn
22nd February 2009, 08:38 PM
Nova is ultimately a Green Lantern knock off. Yes, he's got different layers to GL now but the essential concept is similar. Me? I like both of them.

pfffft. Marvel ripping off DC? NEVER! What are you going to say next, that Hawkeye and Mockingbird aren't original characters? :p

I've become a fan of Nova since Annihilation, he's really come into his own character and isn't the young idiot that first graced the pages of New Warriors.

And I think when it comes to the galactic stuff, Marvel might be winning. Annihilation, Conquest and now War of Kings all essentially manage to keep the bulk of Earth's heroes out of it, leaving them to their own wars, while over at DC it looks like Blackest Night will involve a lot of DC's Earth heroes.

So to me, Marvel's at least able to tell a grand story on two fronts, while DC just sticks to the same ol bunch and confuses the crap out of me.

STL
22nd February 2009, 11:34 PM
And I think when it comes to the galactic stuff, Marvel might be winning. Annihilation, Conquest and now War of Kings all essentially manage to keep the bulk of Earth's heroes out of it, leaving them to their own wars, while over at DC it looks like Blackest Night will involve a lot of DC's Earth heroes.

I think given how massive and popular the Sinestro War was, they're banking on it to their big baby of the summer but what worked about the Sinestro War was how closed it was like the War of Kings and Annihilation stuff.

DC are struggling but their trade numbers are giving a hell of a beating to Marvel in not only the DM but mass market too (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20119).

jacksplatt11
23rd February 2009, 09:05 PM
Finished The League of Extraordinary Gentleman Vol 2 today, so I'll comment on Vols 1 and 2 as a whole.

When I originally saw the movie, I was not aware that it was based on a comic, and although the movie was quite sub par, I enjoyed the concept. Now, after reading the actual comics, I can actually see how well Moore took lots of already existing characters, and joined them all together in his own story. So many other little inclusions and easter eggs and the like, really enjoyed that. I enjoyed Vol 2 a bit more, because of the inclusion of the War of the Worlds/Martians, and I'm a space/aliens/sci-fi kinda guy. That's not to say Vol 1 wasn't as good, just I enjoyed Vol 2 better. Pacing was excellent, although both volumes were only 6 issues each, it never felt rushed. O'Neill's art was great, had that sort of rough, ragged look to it that I enjoy.

Overall, really enjoyed them, and just more evidence in my eyes of how good a writer Moore is, albeit a little wacky :p

Burn
6th March 2009, 11:08 PM
After reading War of Kings #1, if you're not doing so, start following this series.

Annihilation was good.
Annihilation : Conquest was great.

WoK is building on those two and it's going to be damn good!
And if it isn't i'm going to sulk.

piratescratch
6th March 2009, 11:13 PM
After reading War of Kings #1, if you're not doing so, start following this series.

Annihilation was good.
Annihilation : Conquest was great.

WoK is building on those two and it's going to be damn good!
And if it isn't i'm going to sulk.

I don't follow Marvel's space adventures, I don't know if I can jump into it. I mean I'd like to. the Inhuman's Secret Invasion mini got me interested.

STL
7th March 2009, 10:59 AM
War of Kings looks so promising. Could be best Marvel event for the last few years, I reckon. Annhilation was awesome. Conquest wasn't as good, a bit messy. But this has the makings of an absolute classic.

Also just finished Thor #13. Amazing character work with Loki. I saw a lot of it coming but the dialogue is just so crisp. #600 is next!

piratescratch
7th March 2009, 12:50 PM
Also just finished Thor #13. Amazing character work with Loki. I saw a lot of it coming but the dialogue is just so crisp. #600 is next!

Uhh #13? Isn't that #600. Do you mean #12 which is the one centered around Loki?

Burn
8th March 2009, 05:18 PM
Also read the latest Deadpool, the first part of Deadpool -vs- Thunderbolts.

This is going to be a fun read! :D

piratescratch
8th March 2009, 05:26 PM
Also read the latest Deadpool, the first part of Deadpool -vs- Thunderbolts.

This is going to be a fun read! :D

It's going to be upbeat and fun in Deadpool whilst serious going in the Thunderbolts parts.

I think I'm going to enjoy the Thunderbolts issues of the crossover more. I don't know the current Deadpool, whilst isn't bad, it isn't really all that stand out, I'm getting a bit tired of the constant hallucinations.

STL
11th March 2009, 12:15 AM
OMG! OMG!

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Justice-Alex-Ross/dp/1401224156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236690649&sr=1-1

I've been waiting for this for so long but the price! the price! :eek:

Uhh #13? Isn't that #600. Do you mean #12 which is the one centered around Loki?

oops! U're completely right.

In recent reading:

Guardians of the Galaxy #5-#8: is this series great or what? Plenty of twists and turns and with great inter-team conflict that isn't so contrived. Love this title to bits.

Birds of Prey #124-#125: Oracle gets payback. Sort of. Great book this is with lots of character insight. I loved the Joker appearance but the Green Arrow guest app was kind of annoying. Too much cavalry.

Nova #18-#20: DnA continue to absolute hit it out of the park. This is a great title. Lots of great quiet moments combined with massive and loud fights and uber high stakes. I love this title heaps. It's probably elevated Nova into my top 10 favourite comic book characters on the writing alone. Alves is a good artist too but nowhere near as good as the others previously on. That doesn't matter though b/c the script more than makes up for it.

Dynamo 5#17 Love this book. Great team and family dynamics. Continues to be great fun.

Plenty of other stuff too but if I can't remember it, it clearly wasn't that great.

jacksplatt11
11th March 2009, 12:23 AM
OMG! OMG!

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Justice-Alex-Ross/dp/1401224156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236690649&sr=1-1

I've been waiting for this for so long but the price! the price! :eek:

Cool, I was gonna get the 3 individual trades, but looks like I'll just wait till this comes out... Long wait though :p

piratescratch
23rd March 2009, 07:54 PM
Sigh Young X-Men got canceled. #12 was the final issue.

I'm disappointed. The series was just settled. That and I'm going to miss the team. I was quite a fan of New X-Men/Academy X, I guess I still get to see Elixir in X-Force and Pixie and Uncanny X-Men but still.

What really gets me is that we might not get to see more of the possible "future" of the team that was teased around with in #11 and #12.

Burn
23rd March 2009, 10:51 PM
I had a little trouble getting into that book, most likely because the characters were new to me (I didn't get to read the New X-Men/Academy X stuff).

There's a lot of potential in the characters though so here's hoping they do something with them instead of just letting them fall off the map.

Like they did with Boom Boom/Boomer.

And then bring her back with no lines ... and kill her off without any hesitation. She deserved better.

:(

Paulbot
24th March 2009, 09:13 AM
I had a little trouble getting into that book, most likely because the characters were new to me (I didn't get to read the New X-Men/Academy X stuff).

There's a lot of potential in the characters though so here's hoping they do something with them instead of just letting them fall off the map.

Like they did with Boom Boom/Boomer.

And then bring her back with no lines ... and kill her off without any hesitation. She deserved better.

:(

New X-Men Academy X was quite good, until Decimation when it became a "kill the kids painfully" book. Young X-Men pretty much had new characters anyway, getting rid of all the interesting ones.

A lot of NextWave fans are annoyed with the return of Boom Boom to the X-Men but most comments talk about the timetravel references in the issue allowing for her return. Marvel just loves to kill young X-Men at the moment for some bizarre reason..

piratescratch
24th March 2009, 11:11 AM
Never really followed anything with Boom Boom so what happened in X-Force #13 didn't really hit me hard. But seeing Hellion and Surge (both from New X-Men/Academy X) and the possible fate for both of them let me a bit saddened.

But yeah bring on Messiah War!

hotaru_oz
8th April 2009, 10:01 PM
I just bought a couple of issues of Johnny the Homicidal maniac today, since I'm a fan of invader zim.
I must say it's really strange, well more than strange...um...really f***ed up is the best way to describe it lol

GoktimusPrime
21st April 2009, 01:10 PM
From the Henkei comic book thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4044)...

One of the reasons I don't like manga
I like black and white comic art - it's a style unto it's own much like black and white photography and cinematography. A lot of artists intentionally only do black and white and quite frankly, their art would be ruined if it were coloured. e.g.: some of Frank Miller's b&w contrastive art (e.g.: Sin City (http://www.barik.net/journalimg/2005-04-04/Sin_City-That_Yellow_Bastard_5_p18.png), 300 (http://www.zenwavearts.com/gallery/comic/images/300.jpg) etc.) just wouldn't work in colour. I thought Spielberg's use of black and white cinematography in Schindler's List (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAH3RTRlCHY) was also very powerful.

I remember when manga was first being translated into English, some US companies decided to colour them in to better appeal to their market. But I found that it actually made the art worse - a good example is the early English adaptations of Silent Möbius (http://blog-imgs-16.fc2.com/h/a/r/harapunch/20080116_2.jpg). It looked like the early days of Technicolor -- the advent of colour movies and television where they would take old black and white movies and TV shows and colour them in... but it just didn't look right and the old b&w originals just look better. e.g.: To Kill A Mockingbird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6UcFv5TqOc)... I prefer watching that in original b&w over coloured (http://mail.mhrd.k12.nj.us/~rmandel/FOV1-00016902/S003B8749.5/To%20Kill%20a%20Mockingbird.jpg).

When it comes to Transformers, I prefer Geoff Senior's work in black and white (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/09/Bludgeonasavageplace.jpg) over colour (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/6/64/Circuitbreakervsunicron.jpg) - even in the UK comics where they had better colourists than Nel Yomtov, whose poor colouring didn't compliment any of the G1 artists at all. (-_-) Then there's the WWII-era Transformers Vs. G.I.Joe. It was first released in colour (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/b/bb/Tfjoe01_2003_gatefold.jpg) and that's how I got it. I wasn't impressed by the art. Then I saw it in black and white (Pocket Edition) and realised that the artwork is actually pretty good, but was previously spoiled by being coloured.

Japanese manga art employs heavy use of contrast and screentoning which isn't intended to be coloured in and would - IMHO - not look so good if it were coloured. If you look at the uncoloured artwork of people who do art (primarily inking) for comics to be coloured, their art is very "sparse" and "empty" in comparison - and I don't mean that in a negative way at all... it's just that they're allowing "room" for the colourist to work, whereas other artists don't do that so much, especially if they're not used to or not intending for their art to be coloured.

Part of the 'art' of black and white comic/manga art is to create colour using only black and white. For the Japanese, this is a technique that they inherited from the Chinese who did this through black-ink paintings (http://www.vochinese.com/images/090217111927.jpg) of landscapes, nature etc. Colouring such images would arguably ruin them and quite frankly, miss the entire point of the art style; similar to people looking at b&w photography/cinematography and demanding that it should be in colour.

I like both b&w and coloured art, but I see them as two distinctly different forms of art, each good (if done well) in their own way. Some artists are able to work in both mediums.

Also remember that coloured art is more expensive and time-consuming to produce. The Japanese are the world's largest producers of comic books, using more paper to print comics than they do to produce toilet paper (Schodt, 1983).

Paulbot
21st April 2009, 01:50 PM
You know what sucks? IDW's greyscale versions of Stormbringer and Beast Wars Gathering called "Manga". I would have liked to buy those if it was just Don's line art, but modern computer comic colouring doesn't work in greyscale.

i_amtrunks
21st April 2009, 03:18 PM
but nothing works in greyscale.

fixed that up for you. :p

Paulbot
21st April 2009, 04:46 PM
True. The latest volumes of Essential Wolverine have reached the 90's introduction of computer colour and the result is the reprints are now in greyscale and it's often very very murky.

piratescratch
23rd April 2009, 08:21 PM
So the new Deadpool Merc With a Mouth that's starting in July is going to be another ongoing. First story arc pits him alongside his Marvel Zombie counterpart who first appeared in Marvel Zombies 3 and is in the current Marvel Zombies 4.

So that makes two ongoings for Deadpool, along with a current running five parter (Suicide Kings), a recent one shot (Game of Death), his appearances in Cable, X-Force (both due to the Messiah Wars crossover event) and Thunderbolts (due to a Dark Reign tie in). Not to mention his appearance in the upcoming Wolverine Origins movie.

I think I'm officially Deadpool'd out.

loophole
23rd April 2009, 09:00 PM
thats by far 1 too many i like Deadpool and all but 2 ongoing series no thanks!!

STL
23rd April 2009, 11:36 PM
With you guys there, I'm going trades on heaps of stuff these days but two Deadpool's too much. He's going to turn into the next Wolverine at this rate. He's the type of book u look at in the pile and go, "hey, that's different!" and that's why u look forward to it and like it. Multiples series of him, whatever the format, really just kills it

Sky Shadow
24th April 2009, 09:07 AM
his appearance in the upcoming Wolverine Origins movie.

Cause...

So that makes two ongoings for Deadpool, along with a current running five parter (Suicide Kings), a recent one shot (Game of Death), his appearances in Cable, X-Force (both due to the Messiah Wars crossover event) and Thunderbolts (due to a Dark Reign tie in).

...and effect.

Burn
25th April 2009, 08:01 AM
Not that it's really much of an appearance to begin with ...

piratescratch
1st May 2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone else pick up or check out this weeks Dark Reign: The Cabal one shot?

The first short in it. Wow spoilers much or what for the future of Osbourne's Dark Reign!

Sky Shadow
1st May 2009, 11:22 AM
Anyone else pick up or check out this weeks Dark Reign: The Cabal one shot?

The first short in it. Wow spoilers much or what for the future of Osbourne's Dark Reign!

That was Doom daydreaming. It isn't really going to happen.

piratescratch
1st May 2009, 11:24 AM
That was Doom daydreaming. It isn't really going to happen.

Was it? I only flipped through it at the comic store yesterday. Wasn't on my pull list for the week.

Sky Shadow
1st May 2009, 11:28 AM
Was it? I only flipped through it at the comic store yesterday. Wasn't on my pull list for the week.

Yes, you can relax - it was a dream sequence. It gets more and more ridiculous and climaxes with Emma Frost and Loki semi-naked and chained up to his throne Return-of-the-Jedi-style.

Paulbot
1st May 2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, you can relax - it was a dream sequence. It gets more and more ridiculous and climaxes with Emma Frost and Loki semi-naked and chained up to his throne Return-of-the-Jedi-style.

I know Loki is a woman now... but I did forget for a moment there when I read your post. :D

STL
5th May 2009, 02:15 AM
Just finished reading the Criminal: Bad Night trade. Brubaker and Phillips weaved together such a dark and multi-levelled thread. You have a general idea where the plot is moving but that's all you have. What happens as you progress through is that more and more layers are added to the characters and conflicts and at the very end of it, the whole book explodes in so many levels.

Brilliant and definitely one of the reads of the year for me. A pity this was this last volume of Criminal. Bru and Phillips make a great team. It's also a pity that there aren't more comics of this nature. You've either got the superheroes or the gratutious T&A or the gratuitious horror/violence which is pretty sad as Criminal reminds you how unique a medium comics is.

Burn
7th May 2009, 06:59 PM
Just finished reading War of Kings #3.

Gladiator's finally grown a pair and has joined Lillandra to oppose Vulcan!

'BOUT TIME! :D

STL
13th July 2009, 11:25 PM
OMG! The original Thunderbolts are back (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21973)!!!! F--- YEAH!!!!

gantz
17th July 2009, 01:41 PM
who here is reading Dark Reign??? and if so, do you know why the hell no one, except for the heroes, knows Norman Osborn was/is the green goblin?????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

this whole thing is totally frustrating as hell, why dont people see that Norman is true evil?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

oh well, with Cap back, Im sure this wont last long :D

Paulbot
17th July 2009, 01:55 PM
Maybe the Devil did it? (Seriously as a side effect of Brand New Day)

Norman's always denied, denied, denied it. I remember it being a plot point in "The Pulse" and the Mark Millar "Spider-Man" series.

gantz
17th July 2009, 03:52 PM
that is a very valid point!!!

I over looked the whole BND crap. could not agree with it at all!

I hope the Dark Reign ends real soon!

loophole
17th July 2009, 03:54 PM
dont get me started on Osborn......

gantz
17th July 2009, 04:03 PM
oh, I want to!!! but guessing you're feeling the same as me towards him!

:mad: gggrrrrrrrr!!!!

Burn
17th July 2009, 10:30 PM
But Norman doesn't deny his past, he's actually admitted to it and claimed that he was sick and that he's now better.

Evidenced in that he was put in charge of the T-Bolts and now H.A.M.M.E.R. He's the poster boy for redemption! He's also the guy who blew the brains out of the Skrull Queen.

You know ... Skrull Queen ... leader of the invading alien horde. Yeah, that's gonna give you some pretty big prestige points with the general public who were suffering at the hands of the Skrulls.

Plus he was able to pin the invasion on Tony Stark, you know, the guy who also forced the public through a nasty super-hero Civil War and then there was his involvement in what the Hulk did in New York.

Love him or hate him, I think they've done a pretty good job of building up Norman. Not just by "redeeming" him through the T-Bolts, but by making the general public (in the comics) suffer from mistakes caused by the super-heroes themselves.

But if you're sick of Norman, take a trip into space. War of Kings is just as good as Annihilation and Annihilation:Conquest. And if that doesn't tickle your fancy, well DC's doing that little thing called "Blackest Night". :D