PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service at your place

JuzMel
6th August 2008, 02:38 PM
Hi guys, just some random rambling that I wanted to discuss about the postal deliveries to your place.

Now I don't deny there have been some disappointing services with Australia post, but overall I'm actually pretty impressed with their "observe" and deliver at particular times service and I wonder if its the same for you guys or I just happened to be lucky.

Now when I was staying in Churchill, Gippsland, initially the postman came at different odd times and always left a card for me to pick up my parcel. Now that stopped after awhile when I started my TF craze and had many orders from overseas and locally as well. The same postman then came every morning from 7.30am to 8.15am (the time I'm getting ready for work, so I'm home which is good) to deliver the parcels and it was so frequent that he eventually came know us, we chatted and he even became "good pals" with my dog.

When I first moved to Melbourne, I was quite paranoid because iceburn told me that the postman at his place simply just left parcels outside the doorstep of people's houses and it wasn't safe. And it was true during the first few weeks when I just moved! Even signature required parcels were left hidden under the sun shade outside the house where my partner would discover it in the evening.

Now that has since stopped though because one morning the postman actually came between 7.30am to 8.00am and I smiled and chatted to him about us working and how it's good that parcel's are delivered at this time and since then, things have gotten back to the same when I was in Gippsland. The postman would come in the mornings when we're home to deliver the parcels.

Local or overseas, the post office seemed to "put aside" parcels for the same address and the postman delivers them at that same time (I got 3 parcels together on Monday morning), at least for me I guess cause that has been happening for a few weeks and this new postman has also become friends with my dog. :D I'm actually glad that I don't have to worry about parcels being left outside my house or having to go to the post office to collect them So I'm just wondering if you guys get the same service?

Comments, complains and the service by the postman and post offices at your place welcome to be shared. :)

1orion2many
6th August 2008, 02:56 PM
:)I talk to my postie who delivers the packages but they still come at odd times as there are 2 or 3 different people that do my area:confused:. The people down the post office know who I am now and at least I don't need to show I.D to the regulars as I have picked up that many parcels from them:D.

MV75
6th August 2008, 03:03 PM
I get parcels delivered at any time that suits me, or that I demand during the week, even weekends.
________
Dodge Magnum (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Magnum)

TheDirtyDigger
6th August 2008, 03:21 PM
All my things are carded coz I live in a high rise with tiny mail boxes.

The lovely ladies at the post office know and love me. Especially that Indian girl, Rishika. Dont trust the other post office though as it's a privately owned franchise and the postage I know I'm always getting ripped off on when I send out coz it's exorbitant relative to other post office charges.

Pulse
6th August 2008, 03:50 PM
Back in the day when I used to get my TFs shipped to home, the postie would bring 'em round between 11 & 1.

After the ex threatened to destroy the next package that showed up, I now use a Post Office Box :).

In the past, Packages have been delivered to my P.O. Box from 9 til 4:30. The wide variation in delivery times does occasionally p#ss me off but if I'm expecting a package, I normally check it at about 1pm. Nine out of ten times the package is there... :)

komikskolektor
6th August 2008, 04:00 PM
I got mine delivered to my work address:)

iceburn
6th August 2008, 04:11 PM
i also get most of my items delivered to my workplace now due to bad posties...
the ones that get sent to my home will either be registered (requiring signature) or too BIG and BULKY to carry all the way home from the city.

i_amtrunks
6th August 2008, 04:22 PM
Since my local Post office is privately owned it's a real over-charging crudhole.

Parcels arrive at random times, and the postie changes more or less weekly. Used to have an awesome Samoan guy, huge fella, the van he drove actually lowered by 5 or so inches when he get back into the van, but he was really nice and would hide parcels in the safest driest corner of the veranda and leave a handwritten note and slide it under the door.

Now all the contractors seem to just lob the parcel at the front door (packages almost always end up in the garden) from the van as they drive by. :mad:

Sam
6th August 2008, 05:23 PM
I recently moved and so far the postal service in my area seems pretty good. If I got a parcel, I would always get a card telling me to collect it at the post office.

The postal service in the area I used to live in was not very good - often I'd find letters meant for someone else (totally different street number, different street address!). Back then I used to write notes telling the postman/woman to check that they are posting to the right mailbox. I used to stick these notes outside near the fence, and would always word my notes politely.

However, I would always find them torn up the next morning. Not sure if it's because the postal service people have ego problems. :D

dirge
6th August 2008, 07:04 PM
I use a PO box, just don't trust parcel contractors. My first PO, they were really nice and knew me by name. I had to change when their opening hours changed. The new PO is a CBD one, so it's far less personal because of the traffic volume, but at least one of the PO box attendants knows me by name (:

kurdt_the_goat
6th August 2008, 07:17 PM
In Japan right now, and the service here is brilliant.. You can generally instruct what time of day (about 6 different periods) you want it delivered. If they still manage to miss you, they leave a card and you can call and get it re-delivered next day (we even had one re-delivered the same day!)

Burn
6th August 2008, 07:37 PM
The home service is pretty good. They often do the deliveries around 8-ish. Sometimes later on a Monday due to the weekend backlog.

Work however .... different story. We're now getting our mail delivered and collected and have told them we want it done by 9:30. I've been there 2 and a half weeks and they've yet to be any earlier than 10:30.

But otherwise, really can't complain about them except for the time it takes for something interstate to arrive (1 week from Sydney or Melbourne)

Golden Phoenix
6th August 2008, 09:49 PM
At my old place it wasn't that great. It was usually in the morning, but right after I left for school. I usually found them at the door when I got home or a note in the mailbox, but it was about 50/50
We moved about a year ago, just down the road from our old place, but it was into the zone of a new post office. This place has been great.
Every delivery is usually in the morning right before I leave for work/uni, or before my brother or mum leave. Either that or they leave a note in the post box.
Only problem is that sometimes they get the wrong unit. The house is one of those 3 on one bloke places, so on the odd occasion they go to the wrong door, which is alright because if the neighbours are home and we ain't, they will sign for it and bring it over when I get home

STL
7th August 2008, 12:00 AM
90% for me at 7:30 to 10:00. Very rarely any other time of day for me. Once or twice on a Saturday for EMS stuff (which really surprised me) but nothing unusual otherwise

JuzMel
7th August 2008, 09:42 AM
Nice to hear feedback from you guys, now I know postal service differs at every place. It's awesome that Japan has such a great service, fancy re-delivering the parcels at the time you want, here even the courier companies don't do that! Or at least the ones I know, they leave a card and make you drive to their office to pick it up! :mad:

Anyway I would like to have parcels delivered to my office as well, but at my previous company, sometimes it's the General Manager himself who collects the post or the nosy accounts lady, so I couldn't have so many parcels coming for me, otherwise I'm gonna get bombarded. And now at the new job is even worse! We have our own mail room and yet sometimes the mail room girls open your parcels to check and its understandable since we're a govt. organization and they are afraid of terrorists attacks or stuff. :eek: :p So it's everything delivered to the house. ;)

jaydisc
7th August 2008, 12:35 PM
I love my main man. He shows up super early though (7:30/8) and he always starts off by saying, "Good morning Jason. I'm sorry for waking you." He's been on holiday for the past month (and for supposedly another two) so I'm missing him. His replacement delivers more so in the afternoon.

He's not really a "postie" though. He's a Post Contractor (with the magnetic red label stuck on his white van).

autobreadticon
7th August 2008, 12:57 PM
My postman is Butch, i enjoy his smile, always late morning deliveries :)

1orion2many
7th August 2008, 02:42 PM
:confused:I'm awaiting a delivery of a very important item to me, it is coming from Japan via EMS so I have been able to keep track of it. What the hell is it doing at the Melbourne receival centre:eek::confused:

jaydisc
7th August 2008, 02:45 PM
:confused:I'm awaiting a delivery of a very important item to me, it is coming from Japan via EMS so I have been able to keep track of it. What the hell is it doing at the Melbourne receival centre:eek::confused:

I had it diverted. ;)

lcz128
7th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Posties have mostly been good for me - there have been a few cases of leaving it in front of my parents' place, but I'm not that fussed- nothing's ever been stolen (I think my parents' area is pretty good that way :))

Anything that's sent to my current home is always carded (there's no way to deliver it otherwise) but I think once my neighbour brought it in for me :)

That said... with EMS, I usually have no problem at all... but this just recently :
Have a EMS package from F2F that's been on the way to me for about 5 weeks now, and lo and behold - I contact them asking them why has it been in customs for 3 weeks now, they go off, investigating, then yesterday they call me and say that they can't find the package over here. Yes, you've lost a piece of Soundwave - with a chance of finding him... Aus Post on the other hand has lost... a whole package. Sh!t! Emailed Ryan of F2F already and hoping that something will happen with it Dammit!

Bartrim
7th August 2008, 03:09 PM
We have a contractor but his wife, like mine is obsessed with ebay so he is understanding and really good with parcel delivery management.

Pulse
7th August 2008, 03:33 PM

It's Metalhawk, isn't it? ;)

In case you didn't know, There's been a new law passed that all Metalhawks attempting to enter WA are being seized & redirected to = :D

Saintly
7th August 2008, 04:22 PM
Postal service to my area is average...

We always seems to missed parcels and get carded to collect from the PO. The PO unfortunately is always busy :/

1orion2many
7th August 2008, 05:09 PM
It's Metalhawk, isn't it? ;)

In case you didn't know, There's been a new law passed that all Metalhawks attempting to enter WA are being seized & redirected to = :D

:(Yes it is my Holy Grail touring Australia:eek:

STL
7th August 2008, 10:48 PM

Isn't that my house? :p

1orion2many
8th August 2008, 11:31 AM
:eek:I may see him today as it is now showing that it's only 2 suburbs away from where I live. I ahve chased this item for 12-18 months, I haven't felt like this since I was a young un on Christmas morning:D.

Pulse
8th August 2008, 11:35 AM
In 1854? :D

1orion2many
8th August 2008, 12:39 PM
In 1854? :D

Which means I could be your Father, Grandfather or Great Grandfather so show some respect young whippa-snappa:p:D

Pulse
8th August 2008, 12:48 PM
I prefer being called an ankle-biter... :D

gamblor916
8th August 2008, 01:31 PM
Post is usually ok around my area but I just found out my predacons set has gone walkabout :\