PDA

View Full Version : Sub-deluxe figures.

Jinto
29th March 2014, 04:19 PM
As I get older I'm finding my tastes shifting away from the bigger more elaborate Transformers and, despite all my expectations, I am getting more into the sub deluxe sized figures. Basics (from the beast era, etc). Legends. Cyberverse Commanders.
I have limited time and space to play, so something easy to carry around and fiddle with is more convenient. I'm just not as inclined to pick up and play with something large.
Sure, they can be really cool, but I'm seeing leaders and voyagers more as something I only need one or two of on shelves around my apartment to look at and appreciate. Even deluxes (my staple!) feel like something to cut back on. A little. Of course I'm not getting rid of all my deluxes, lets not go crazy. ;)

Can you guys recommend any really good sub-deluxe figures? Nice articulation and moulding. Not smothered in kibble?

I don't have much experience with these figures but of the few I have, my favourites are DOTM Cyb Commander Megatron & Beast Machines Silverbolt.

Anyone else gone through a similar shift in figure preference?

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2014, 10:07 PM
Sub-Deluxe figures have always been increasing in quality, however IMHO ever since DotM we've seen a decline in standard of supra-Deluxe figures, thus allowing sub-Deluxe toys to leave them in the dust. I've known collectors who've made a conscious decision to move away from supra-Deluxe toys in favour of sub-Deluxe figures because they offer superior value for money.

Which sub-Deluxe figure would I recommend? They're all really nice toys for their size and price point, so I can't really think of one that I'd necessarily recommend over another. Just pick your favourite and go for it. Besides, they're so cheap it makes it easier to collect lots. :D

I personally prefer playing with the larger supra-Deluxe figures, but admittedly the sub-Deluxes really are much better value. The majority of post-DOTM supra-Deluxe toys are mediocre at best whereas almost all sub-Deluxe toys are pretty top notch toys for what they are. :) The folks in charge of developing Cyberverse figures are clearly pouring more effort and attention into them than those working on the supra-Deluxe toys. e.g. a lot of supra-Deluxe TF Prime toys don't have faction symbols, but every Cyberverse figure does! :eek:

Hursticon
29th March 2014, 11:55 PM
Any of the ROTF-era "Scout class" figures are absolute gold for both build quality & aesthetics; their molds and poseability range but are generally and more often then not equal to that of deluxes. ;):cool:

Even a number of the DOTM HA Basics are quite good too. :)

SMHFConvoy
30th March 2014, 07:55 AM
I've held on to a lot of my sub deluxe figs because they have been better than what's being offered at the deluxe price point and above.

However, with Hasbro making a conscious effort to simplify its TFs I'm worried that they're going to discontinue it's cyberverse line.

GoktimusPrime
30th March 2014, 11:33 AM
The cyber verse line will continue. They'll be enlarged and called Deluxes. ;) :P

SMHFConvoy
30th March 2014, 02:25 PM
The cyber verse line will continue. They'll be enlarged and called Deluxes. ;) :P

See as great as that is ( and it is, I was a kids b'day and the boys kept asking me to transform the cyberverse figures :p) I like cyberverse figs for their size.

Sinnertwin
30th March 2014, 11:48 PM

Don't remind me

http://www.robotkingdom.com/transformers/transformers-prime/a1518e24b.html

:p

SuspectimusPrime
31st March 2014, 11:08 PM
Don't remind me

I can't believe they're sold out on RK?! :eek::eek:

Jinto
1st April 2014, 07:31 PM
You have got to be kidding me.

Don't remind me

Ultra Mackness
7th April 2014, 08:13 AM
Don't remind me

To me these look awful. They even advertise on the front that it only takes 4 or 5 steps to transform. I guess there's a well researched target demographic for these, but not my cup of tea. I'm not even quite sure why I don't like them as I love all the cyber verse figures I have, but as smaller figures. I guess I think that the bigger the figure, the more complex the transformation ought to be.

SMHFConvoy
7th April 2014, 04:15 PM
I guess I think that the bigger the figure, the more complex the transformatin out to be.

Personally, if Hasbro had thickened the limbs and added elbow and knee joints, possibly a waist swivel I'd be all over them.

Shirokaze
7th April 2014, 05:11 PM
Definitely not a fan of this up-scaling business. Perhaps Hasbro feels the current toys are getting too complex and need to dumb it down a bit so future figures will feel like an improvement. Much like when auto manufacturers make the base model of a car look purposely terrible so they'll sell more of the expensive variant.

But on topic: A couple of favourites of mine have been RtS Windcharger and DoTM Guzzle :)

STL
7th April 2014, 10:25 PM
I feel like the Sub-Deluxe line has dropped off a lot in recent years. They're poorer versions of Deluxe/Voyager characters. I haven't bought one in years.

Prior to that though, I was a big fan and like you would have said the Scout Class size provided a lot of playability and value. Movie lines come to mind the most. Often larger size classes were too complicated or flawed but the nifty Sub Deluxe class had something to offer.

Notable mentions:
- ROTF Breacher (absolute awesome, a MUST have)
- DOTM HA Half-Track/Sandstorm (Half-track has better colours imo)
- ROTF Skystalker
- TFM Toaster... can't remember his name.
- Movie Beachcomber
- BWs Nightglider
- Hasbro Legend Wheelie