PDA

View Full Version : Mould Re-use.

Jinto
29th March 2014, 04:52 PM
Seems like Hasbro aims to get about 3 solid runs from each mould. From Generations we've recently had FOC Starscream turned into seekers, Bumblebee into Goldfire & soon Nightbeat. Megatron has had 3 runs if you include the Calvin Johnston deco. Trailcutter = Hoist.

What about moulds like Rattrap and Waspinator, maybe Tankor too, that are pretty specific body types and can't as easily be repainted into someone else? Do they offset the cost of 1-shot moulds with ones they can re-use like Starscream or do they aim for every mould to have a minimum number of releases?

I started thinking about it because I want a 2nd copy of that Skids mould but I don't know whether to fork out for the Crosscut figure or gamble by waiting for a 3rd run as another character.

Bidoofdude
29th March 2014, 08:15 PM
Seems like Hasbro aims to get about 3 solid runs from each mould. From Generations we've recently had FOC Starscream turned into seekers, Bumblebee into Goldfire & soon Nightbeat. Megatron has had 3 runs if you include the Calvin Johnston deco. Trailcutter = Hoist.

What about moulds like Rattrap and Waspinator, maybe Tankor too, that are pretty specific body types and can't as easily be repainted into someone else? Do they offset the cost of 1-shot moulds with ones they can re-use like Starscream or do they aim for every mould to have a minimum number of releases?

I started thinking about it because I want a 2nd copy of that Skids mould but I don't know whether to fork out for the Crosscut figure or gamble by waiting for a 3rd run as another character.

I can see Waspinator in Transmetal colours, as he's not too different. Rattrap also has a generally similar body type. They could probably get away with him. Not sure about Tankor or Skids into any others (besides Crosscut), but they'll probably figure something out.

Sky Shadow
29th March 2014, 08:59 PM
Waspinator could be Buzz Saw, Dirgegun and Injector. Rhinox could be Headstrong, Ramhorn, Stranglehold, Greatshot, Backstop, etc, and his body seemed to be used for Slug in recent comics. Tankor can be Quake and Gutcruncher (and scores of other tanks). Skids could also be movie Skids as well as Crosscut. Rattrap is the trickiest one - other than Packrat and - at a stretch - Beast Machines or Transmetal Rattrap, they might need to do some creative recolouring or remoulding to get extensive use from that one.

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2014, 10:22 PM
I'd absolutely buy a Generations Packrat. :)

Paulbot
29th March 2014, 10:23 PM
Two versions are pretty much guaranteed, but three dips are less likely by Hasbro (but Funpub and specials like the Football Megatron is where a third may come from)

The comic artists have drawn Decepticon doctor Flatline as a black repaint of Trailcutter (on their own initiative) so if Hasbro like the idea that may happen. I'd like to see a Decepticon Doctor toy. The Waspinator repaint I'd like is as Bugly (like they are doing with the Minicon version). And Rhinox as Slug would be better than as the other Rhino-bots.

A third Skids could be in movie Green? :p

GoktimusPrime
29th March 2014, 11:30 PM
Oh yeah, "Quantum Operative Skids". Then there's also Screech (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Screech_(Generations)) ;) They could redeco it in black and also in red (re: Diaclone (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/4f/DiacloneSkids.jpg)) and create whole new characters.

CBratron
29th March 2014, 11:59 PM
BH Ripclaw redone as Ser-Ket. I personally don't like BH but the lack of this repaint mystifies me.

Zommael
30th March 2014, 12:11 AM
BH Ripclaw redone as Ser-Ket. I personally don't like BH but the lack of this repaint mystifies me.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we will be seeing this in Generations down the line, since Ripclaw is the only deluxe or voyager BH mould that hasn't been redecoed (apart from the up scaled Cyberverse figures).

Waspinator I'd like to see as Buzzsaw. Others have some pretty imaginative ideas for Rhinox - you could easily remould a dino head on to the body. Orion Pax as Kup is a given. A brighter coloured or even non-unified colour scheme on the minicon team might be nice. Scoop could stand a Constructicon themed recolour. Hasbro might want to go for broke with Armadscream and do Thundercracker, at least.

Seraphim Prime
30th March 2014, 11:29 AM
My understanding is that the Transformers team is given a budget and an expected return that covers an entire line/year of toys. How the team then decides to achieve this is up to them.

Previously this has meant that, since Armada that most toys have had a power-up repaint, or had their mould used to represent a second character. More recently, as pioneered with Universe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker and Animated Ironhide/Ratchet, each mould has been designed to cater for two characters with unique parts prepared in advance.

More recently I think the designers have tried to bend this a little, by giving us three uses of some moulds - eg: Voyager Soundwave, Deluxe Bumblebee, FOC Seekers - and single uses of other unique characters - eg: Rattrap, Waspinator, Rhinox

griffin
30th March 2014, 09:57 PM
From how I've heard them describe it at various botcons, Seraphim is essentially right about them having a series and/or size-class budget. Armada was noted as the beginning of multi-use moulds, but it was really Energon that they started budgeting for it. The story they said after Armada was that it was so popular, they had to meet retailer demand by rushing out extra waves... which meant redecos because they didn't have the time to create new moulds.
Since Hasbro saw that it was an acceptable option to Retailers and consumers (and sometimes fans), from Energon onwards, moulds were budgeted for an average of about 2 general-release uses... which they either do to be greedy, or to offset inflation a little.

fatbot
30th March 2014, 10:08 PM
After seeing a custom Armada Scavenger from the generations Scoop mould, I reckon that'll be coming down the line.

If Hasbro or TakTom really wanted to, they have an easy one with Metroplex into Metrotitan or Necrotitan

Sinnertwin
30th March 2014, 11:42 PM
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that we will be seeing this in Generations down the line, since Ripclaw is the only deluxe or voyager BH mould that hasn't been redecoed (apart from the up scaled Cyberverse figures).

Although it wasn't a Hasbro release, Ripclaw was redecoed and remolded into Go! Bakudora

Zommael
31st March 2014, 05:27 PM
Although it wasn't a Hasbro release, Ripclaw was redecoed and remolded into Go! Bakudora

Well, yeah. I hadn't forgotten about that, but every other deluxe or voyager Predacon mold (except the upscaled Cyberverse ones, again) also saw a redeco and rerelease in the Go! line, so my point is the same - Ripclaw is the only one Hasbro haven't reused, so I'd expect to see it used at some point, and a Generations Ser-Ket makes the most sense.

BigTransformerTrev
31st March 2014, 08:52 PM
Tankor can be Quake and Gutcruncher (and scores of other tanks).

Because of the treads layout and general configuration, I could see them remoulding the head and finally making a Generations Hardhead. A Gutcruncher would be cool too. Not sure you could get away with using it for a earth-styled tank character such as Quake though, although they could do his FOC mold which would be awesome!

SuspectimusPrime
31st March 2014, 10:53 PM
Waspinator could be Buzz Saw, Dirgegun and Injector. Rhinox could be Headstrong, Ramhorn, Stranglehold, Greatshot, Backstop, etc, and his body seemed to be used for Slug in recent comics. Tankor can be Quake and Gutcruncher (and scores of other tanks). Skids could also be movie Skids as well as Crosscut. Rattrap is the trickiest one - other than Packrat and - at a stretch - Beast Machines or Transmetal Rattrap, they might need to do some creative recolouring or remoulding to get extensive use from that one.

Because of the treads layout and general configuration, I could see them remoulding the head and finally making a Generations Hardhead. A Gutcruncher would be cool too. Not sure you could get away with using it for a earth-styled tank character such as Quake though, although they could do his FOC mold which would be awesome!

I'd really like to see Quake done properly - grew quite fascinated by Thunderwing/Bludgeon's crews and their funky colours. If they are really considering using Tankor's base mould then it'd need Generations Springer/Sandstorm level of retooling to make it convincing - Tankor's head, legs and clampity-clamp hands are just too distinct.

Stranglehold from Generations Rhinox could so work! Following ROTF Bludgeon's precedent he should have alt mode based on the inner bot, and bot mode with based on the pretender shell. And following Botcon Metalhawk's precedent he should have a head that screams "WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME?! (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers-toys/view/exclusives/metalhawk/2728/2/70/)".

Paulbot
31st March 2014, 11:01 PM
I don't think Stranglehold from Rhinox would work, but earlier today I saw this on twitter and changed my mind. Http://pic.twitter.com/b45MRKgu4F

Sky Shadow
31st March 2014, 11:58 PM
I don't think Stranglehold from Rhinox would work, but earlier today I saw this on twitter and changed my mind. Http://pic.twitter.com/b45MRKgu4F

That would be brilliant. It's actually a shame that they didn't include the original Rhinox toy's chained morning star attachments, as it would mean less retooling for Stranglehold to have his iconic comic weapon.

Not sure you could get away with using it for a earth-styled tank character such as Quake though,

I'd really like to see Quake done properly - grew quite fascinated by Thunderwing/Bludgeon's crews and their funky colours. If they are really considering using Tankor's base mould then it'd need Generations Springer/Sandstorm level of retooling to make it convincing - Tankor's head, legs and clampity-clamp hands are just too distinct.

My main reasoning for Quake was that he looked like this in the Wreckers comics:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/479/am8b.jpg

SuspectimusPrime
2nd April 2014, 10:17 AM
My main reasoning for Quake was that he looked like this in the Wreckers comics:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/479/am8b.jpg

That's a bit disappointing :( Especially after seeing how good Charticon Aftershock looks (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/conventions-15/charticon-2013-exclusive-aftershock-figure-revealed-177152/):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Znkk-_sbqe8/UhzZs8X3W1I/AAAAAAAACes/_Ti9PIEdO1k/s1600/P8260185.jpg
Image via: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Znkk-_sbqe8/UhzZs8X3W1I/AAAAAAAACes/_Ti9PIEdO1k/s1600/P8260185.jpg

MayzaPrime
2nd April 2014, 07:27 PM

Thats pretty cool!

Flatline from Skids/Crosscut would be awesome, and I am a sucker for a black repaint.

I would love to see some more repaints form the targetmasters Caliburst, Holepunch & even Nightstick. This would also mean that we get more of the Targetmaster vehicles :D:D:D