PDA

View Full Version : LEGO Chima

Sam
6th April 2014, 09:00 PM
Does anyone collect these sets? I thought their "legend beast" sets were interesting.

And for some reason, when I see them, I think of Battle Beasts, even though they are not related.

Lint
7th April 2014, 10:53 AM
I am very interested by the set designs including the "legend beast" sets and have been picking up stuff when cheap. Although the design concepts and aesthetics are brilliant the actual builds are pretty simplistic (targeted at kids) and you don't get a great deal of pieces for what you pay.

Golden Phoenix
7th April 2014, 11:28 AM
I picked up a couple of sets. Only 4 or 5 though and mainly from the first year. I like the minifigures and a couple of the other sets, but that's about it.

i_amtrunks
7th April 2014, 02:16 PM
Ive got a selection of sets, including 3 of the 5 legend beasts.

Ignoring the numerous mini sets with the wheeled devices, I have been very impressed with most of the sets, both small and large. The minifugres look very cool and have impressive detail.

I've never watched the show, so I have no idea how heavily featured the lego sets are, but knowing lego they are a fairly good representation.

The large Crocodile boat is fantastic, if a little fragile, but the mid-priced sets around the $30 from the first year were easily the best, the Eagle/Falcon jet, Wolf tank etc. From this years sets, I only have the rhino rock thrower which is very snazzy and the wolf, croc and gorilla legend beasts.

For the price, you get a healthy amount of bricks, fun builds and lovely minifigures. certainly better value for money than the licensed sets!

Sam
7th April 2014, 06:01 PM
I am very interested by the set designs including the "legend beast" sets and have been picking up stuff when cheap. Although the design concepts and aesthetics are brilliant the actual builds are pretty simplistic (targeted at kids) and you don't get a great deal of pieces for what you pay.

Yeah, I am finding that most LEGO sets are getting easier and quicker to make, I feel LEGO is focusing more on the 'action' aspect of playing with the sets.

I picked up a couple of sets. Only 4 or 5 though and mainly from the first year. I like the minifigures and a couple of the other sets, but that's about it.

I have the five legend beasts - found Big W overall has the best prices. Even with the Myer discount, they were only cheaper than Big W's prices by around 50 cents.

Ive got a selection of sets, including 3 of the 5 legend beasts.

Ignoring the numerous mini sets with the wheeled devices, I have been very impressed with most of the sets, both small and large. The minifugres look very cool and have impressive detail.

I've never watched the show, so I have no idea how heavily featured the lego sets are, but knowing lego they are a fairly good representation.

The large Crocodile boat is fantastic, if a little fragile, but the mid-priced sets around the $30 from the first year were easily the best, the Eagle/Falcon jet, Wolf tank etc. From this years sets, I only have the rhino rock thrower which is very snazzy and the wolf, croc and gorilla legend beasts.

For the price, you get a healthy amount of bricks, fun builds and lovely minifigures. certainly better value for money than the licensed sets!

I haven't gotten any of the larger vehicles due to space issues. I find the legend beasts seem just the right size for me. The fact that the vehicles are like mechanised animals of some sort also reminds me of Zoids.

Wouldn't it be cool if LEGO did a Zoids theme? (Perhaps like this one, but larger to scale with minifig pilots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kylepeckham/11139784475/in/pool-legozoids)

STL
7th April 2014, 06:51 PM
Would recommend the few that I got
- Equila's Tank
- Eagle Cycle
- Eagle Jet/Bird

I tend to collect similar vehicles these days for display and I thought the Eagle vehicles were a great little set. I have them in one of the squares on my cube shelf and they look great together with the Eagle Bird/Jet hovering over them.

The others were so-so for me. The lion sets weren't convincing enough in appearance (pics online and in-store displays). I think the colour consistency and the resonance of the eagle theme was stronger in the eagle vehicles than the others. The Gator ship looked awesome but without two many other vehicles to compliment it nicely I passed as like you I have space constraints.

This year's Chima sets don't do a great deal for me. Maybe the Scorpion but overall I'm very disappointed by the direction. No cool vehicles that I can get behind.

If you like the idea of a "beast", I'd recommend the Hive Crawler. Only just built that last week and that is one of the coolest insects I've ever built. Love the moving arms and leg features. I didn't realise that was there until I had finished building it and ran it across the floor. Works brilliantly.

Lint
7th April 2014, 09:15 PM
Would recommend the few that I got
- Equila's Tank
- Eagle Cycle
- Eagle Jet/Bird

I got the cycle and the bird, admittedly I havent built the bird yet. I'm becoming one of those people :p

The cycle looks bloody fantastic and the transformation is clever. However it is a pretty simple build

Yeah, I am finding that most LEGO sets are getting easier and quicker to make, I feel LEGO is focusing more on the 'action' aspect of playing with the sets.

I used to think this but then I had a look at the instruction sheets of 'classic' sets and boy were they simple... like dead simple. Nowhere near the amount of parts nor the build complexity. What I meant was Chima is easier to build compared to collector oriented themes and even other kids themes like Galaxy Squad, Ninjago and City.

What I will say though is that the instructions have definitely gotten oversimplified. I do not need a two page spread to tell me where to put a single piece.

kaiden
14th April 2014, 09:47 AM
i've got the eagle sets as well. the other animal themes aren't as good looking :/

Sam
14th April 2014, 06:13 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but was thinking about the possibility of combing the five sets into a slightly larger mech. The only ideas I have in mind so far are to use the gorilla's hands and keep the eagle's wings, but modify it somewhat.

Lint
14th April 2014, 06:24 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but was thinking about the possibility of combing the five sets into a slightly larger mech. The only ideas I have in mind so far are to use the gorilla's hands and keep the eagle's wings, but modify it somewhat.

I think this is an awesome idea but you'll probably find you'll need some extra pieces to pull it off.

kaiden
15th April 2014, 01:31 PM
Just had a look at them in store and I really like the new animal minifig heads. Particularly the scorpion which looks like a predator head :p

thinking of getting him and the spider and rhino

Fungal Infection
15th April 2014, 08:32 PM
I'm looking to sell ALL of my first year Chima sets if anyone is interested. Will post a seperate thread for these when I get a chance this weekend.