PDA

View Full Version : Comic review: Robots in Disguise season 2: #28 onwards

Paulbot
24th April 2014, 08:14 AM
With the relaunch, and pretty much everything about the book transforming except the creators, I thought a fresh review thread was due.

So, in season two of RID the action shifts back to a familiar planet: Earth. Optimus Prime and a small team of Autobots return and find surprises immediately.

Spoilers follow

The containing Autobot cast from the previous storylines includes Prowl, Jazz, Sideswipe, Kup, Arcee and Sky Lynx. Cosmos has left the Lost Light to join this crew too and gets some on tech spec dialogue about his loneliness that rarely is covered.

There's also Decepticons, including the return of Thundercracker as seen in the previews. I was a little disappointed that there's no former 'Cons with Prime but TC may fill that role.

There's a couple of extended flashbacks in issue 1 that makes it seem like this book should have come out before Windblade #1. The order of the interlocking covers suggest so as well.

The new designs look good, and there was one particularly unexpected redesign, but I'm not sure exactly how the Autobots "scanned new alt forms" on the way...

The Thundercracker preview pages give a good sneak peak at the book's tone. This issue is much less serious than the first season.

At the same time this book feels like a continuation of the Costa ongoing. Returning to Earth this can't be helped but the new status quo feels like it will be familiar.

i_amtrunks
24th April 2014, 07:22 PM
Human Decepticon alliance? Surely the humans know from just the badges that the cons were responsible for all the damage in AHM and then for most of the horrible Costa era things... So why he alliance? For tech?

I'm sure there will be answers and it seems that Thundercracker was bullied into it, seeing as he was glad that bumblebee was not around for the cross.

I agree with Paulbot that it feels Costa-sequel but the writing is already better and bar the screenplay the dialogue more snazzy. I like Cosmos and Skylynx being on the team, adds some difference to the very familiar lineup on Earth.

A good start, some interesting redesigns and I hope it flows better than series 1.

SMHFConvoy
24th April 2014, 07:40 PM
I gotta say, I really liked this issue, really clicked. Highlights: Sky Lynx, Thundercracker and Cosmos.

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2014, 08:43 PM
^Agreed.

I picked up both this and the latest issue of MTMTE and made the mistake of reading this issue first. For anyone who haven't picked up either issue, do yourself a favour and read MTMTE first, as it does chronologically happen first and there's a bit of a spoiler in it -- nothing majorly serious, but I felt that it would've been more enjoyable if I'd read these two issues the other way around.

Sky Shadow
29th May 2014, 01:29 AM
I feel like it's time for the Constructicons to paint themselves red, white and black (or for Prowl to paint himself green and purple.)

i_amtrunks
29th May 2014, 07:46 PM
I only liked Thundercracker in this issue. He is the only character that I feel stays consistent throughout this issue, let alone compared to recent history.

Not sure how we are meant to believe that the humans would ally with the cons with Galvatron doing his best G1 insane Galvy impersonation. I also don't get why Prime, the great military leader just resorts to "attack" quickly followed by "runaway" followed by "save me!"

While I see what Prowl is doing looks good to him, I feel it will come back to bite him, the writers are not as smart as Prowl thinks he is.

I am hoping that RiD can start to move forward from poorly drawn and written fights to something with a story or it's going to lose my interest, it is already waning after just two issues. It's a shame as the art is awful and some of the secondary characters are well done, yet Kup is awfully cliche...

BigTransformerTrev
11th June 2014, 09:36 AM
I only liked Thundercracker in this issue. He is the only character that I feel stays consistent throughout this issue, let alone compared to recent history.

Not sure how we are meant to believe that the humans would ally with the cons with Galvatron doing his best G1 insane Galvy impersonation. I also don't get why Prime, the great military leader just resorts to "attack" quickly followed by "runaway" followed by "save me!"

I am hoping that RiD can start to move forward from poorly drawn and written fights to something with a story or it's going to lose my interest, it is already waning after just two issues. It's a shame as the art is awful and some of the secondary characters are well done, yet Kup is awfully cliche...

I pretty much agree with everything here. I actually don't mind the art though Galvatrons alt-mode looks horrible. It's an interesting take how Prowl has embraced having the Constructicons as his personal gang - I was kinda hoping during Dark Cybertron that somehow Scrapper would come back to life like Metalhawk but this is more interesting and seeing Prowl fully intergrated into Devestator instead of just a couple of red horns on the big D's head looked really cool.

i_amtrunks
11th June 2014, 07:25 PM
Spoiler free ahead, I have many thoughts about this one, but the key points for me were:

Nosebleeds??? Interesting.

Skywarp all tied up... Interesting.

Prowl once again showing he is waaaay ahead of everyone, but still not as clever as he could be... Interesting.

Humans show their cards... Interesting.

Ancient Cybertron and A.T. have more to show... Interesting. Also I have a feeling we are going to get more characterisation for Nova and Galvatron now that we should have gotten prior to Dark Cybertron.

Soundwave making a bigger play than anticipated, that would have needed to be setup prior to Dark Cybertron and I am guessing required the knowledge that Prowl would be too smart for his own good... Very Interesting.

In all, the best RiD issue for a looooong time.

Sky Shadow
11th June 2014, 10:12 PM
"Only five of me are halfwits."

"Yeah, everybody's sure of that."

"Did you just issue me an order, Spacebus?"

Some great lines this month.

i_amtrunks
11th June 2014, 10:26 PM
The flashnacks (and the fact they took up half the issue) are what made this stronger. It was also good to see that the humans are not quite as hairbrained as they were portrayed. Still idiots, but they had their reasons and own desires in the deal.

Prowl also has humans and human nature correct. The planet would be far better off if we were wiped out! :D

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2014, 11:31 PM
Btw, from the last issue, did anyone else notice Shiragami Junko (aka Kelly) being one of the hapless humans fleeing from Prowlastator's attack? ;) I think there's also a red sports car in that panel too (don't have the issue in front of me right now) :p

And am I the only one who thinks that Griffith makes Marissa Fairborn look ugly? It's as if she has Jay Leno's chin and Janice from the Muppets' mouth. :o

snaketales
13th June 2014, 04:50 PM
Everyone seems to have assumed it's Alpha Trion whose signal they've been picked up.... Hunter O'Nion?

Paulbot
14th July 2014, 11:15 PM
Everyone seems to have assumed it's Alpha Trion whose signal they've been picked up.... Hunter O'Nion?

Finally got around to reading #30 and my guess is it's gonna be a not quite as dead as we were led to believe Scrapper that the humans have. And #30 was all about giving Prowl one last go as part of Devastator. That's my guess.

bassbot
15th July 2014, 12:15 AM
Btw, from the last issue, did anyone else notice Shiragami Junko (aka Kelly) being one of the hapless humans fleeing from Prowlastator's attack? ;) I think there's also a red sports car in that panel too (don't have the issue in front of me right now) :p

And am I the only one who thinks that Griffith makes Marissa Fairborn look ugly? It's as if she has Jay Leno's chin and Janice from the Muppets' mouth. :o

I find some panels she looks fine and then others the mouth and chin are way off. Reminds me of Don Fig's work on human faces.

i_amtrunks
31st July 2014, 09:17 PM
#31 is a slow burner, all taking place in and around the Human base in Bikini Atol.

Some nice one liners here from Thundercracker and Jetfire, the humans are rightfully freaking out and there are a few twists (one being the lack of a twist in regards to a character reveal) to boot.

Sadly the preview pages are all a waste of space as they drivel about Jazz killing one dangerous human, then he still references it in comic as well.

Wasted pages aside, we get some nice background and explanation to Soundwave's behaviour and reasoning which is nice and once again it is shown that prime is incredibly lucky to have survived the Cybertronian war, he just pile drives in and hopes for the best.

Prowl's endgame should be interesting, I am sure he knows of the spy but as yet do not see how it will benefit him.

Not much happens, but the potential for links to the future stories are a plenty in this issue.

The art baffles me, it is not great this issue, Prowl's head bar gets smaller, his chest gets massive and Galvatron is a different size and shape in every panel.

GoktimusPrime
1st August 2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I'm still not a fan of the art in this series. Arcee's body proportions warp something chronic between panels too. :eek: And you could park Sky Lynx on General Witwicky's chin. ;) The drawing of Metroplex looked amateur (although no where near as amateur as the artwork in TF vs. GI Joe), and his transformation into city mode was just terrible. Looked more like he was falling apart and his pieces just collapsed into the form of a village. :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
21st August 2014, 08:13 PM
So, the payoff issue (I am sick of these 5 issue storylines, wish they would mix it up a bit, and be damned with the trades, or do some 2-3 issue stories every now and again).

It delivers. Some big changes are upon the Comics verse from the ramifications of this issue, and gladly, they are not all earth based. Prowl's "master plan" was good, without being great, but I tire of it seeming like every carefully planned action of his seems to backfire, in some form or another, I get that he being morally grey and doing what needs to be done drives most of these stories together, but there needs to be a shake up of action/reaction. When we return to Earth in a few months I hope we get some sort of fallout from his actions here from the other bots. Personally I think it may tie heavily into combiner wars.

Art was fantastic, there were some snappy lines of dialogue and the last page reveal is a good one that once again utilises some of the worst comics from IDW's past and makes them useful and relevant!

Also I much prefer this sane, sensible Galvatron.

Sky Shadow
21st August 2014, 11:30 PM
I was so glad about one of the turns of events this issue. Although apparently Prowl isn't good on the individual Constructicons' names. (Great editing, Guzman.) And... what colours are Jazz and the Constructicons supposed to be now?

Sharky
22nd August 2014, 08:02 AM
I was so glad about one of the turns of events this issue. Although apparently Prowl isn't good on the individual Constructicons' names. (Great editing, Guzman.) And... what colours are Jazz and the Constructicons supposed to be now?

that is there nano carbonfibre tube stealth colouring.

like most issues of RID i felt this was average, the thundercracker stuff is getting boring, the art ia all over the place.

it really makees me want to Read MTMTE more..

prowl feels like he is doing a lot of whinging...atleast i hope we get to see a showdown with spike sometime soon now that Galvatron has set it up well

i_amtrunks
22nd August 2014, 02:06 PM
prowl feels like he is doing a lot of whinging...atleast i hope we get to see a showdown with spike sometime soon now that Galvatron has set it up well

A nice one and done in a dozen or so issues would be nice, especially if it ends with Spike left as a mish mash pile of ooze and bone. The less time spent with him the better, I don't care at all if Barber wants to "fix" him as a character, he had his time in the sun, now it's time to be rid of him.

I will admit that I am glad we are going back to Cybertron, if Starscream is written much the same as he was in the Windblade mini, he could actually be interesting for a change.

BigTransformerTrev
8th September 2014, 01:13 PM
I thought this was one of the best RID issues I have read. A nice shout out to the animated movie poster in one panel, Galvatron killing his human ally was cool, the ship getting blasted was great and overall it was very good. I REALLY hope that Ramjet and Thrust turn out to be alive and being duplicated somehow rather than dead and just being cloned. Thrusts death that didn't even happen on panel in Spotlight Prowl really annoyed me as I thought such a long standing character deserved better than that.

Prowl continues to grow in arrogance - a far more interesting character than Thundercracker at the moment

GoktimusPrime
10th September 2014, 12:03 AM
I like both Prowl and Thundercracker for different reasons, but I especially like Thundercracker because IDW is now finally, after almost 30 years, portraying Thundercracker in a manner that is accurate to his original 1984 bio! (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/decoder.asp?CharName=Thundercracker&ImgURL=/archive/techspecs/decepticon/1984/ts_thundercracker.jpg) :eek: It ends a nearly 3 decade long drought where Thundercracker had so much potential to be an interesting character (as a morally conflicted Decepticon), but it had just never been exploited by TF writers before. I made a joke about this once in a photocomic that I made 10 years ago. :p ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/madboard02.jpg
I like Prowl too. It's pretty cool to have morally dubious Autobots like him and Whirl in the story, but let's face it, IDW Prowl is nothing like how G1 Prowl was originally described in his G1 bio (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/decoder.asp?CharName=Prowl&ImgURL=/archive/techspecs/autobot/1984/ts_prowl.jpg). ;) IMO it's easy to take a character, effectively disregard its original specs, and then scratch-make a new character out of it; but it's more challenging and satisfying to see a cool character created from being faithful to the source material. Or when writers switch bios around, like how IDW Swerve's persona is arguably more similar to G1 Hubcap (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/decoder.asp?CharName=Hubcap&ImgURL=/archive/techspecs/autobot/1986/ts_hubcap.jpg) than G1 Swerve (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/decoder.asp?CharName=Swerve&ImgURL=/archive/techspecs/autobot/1986/ts_swerve.jpg) (although IDW Swerve isn't quite as deceitful as Hubcap, and he can be unfocused like G1 Swerve :p).

Sky Shadow
25th September 2014, 10:37 PM
#33 is back on track, by which I mean it is the best issue of RiD so far. It's unashamedly a toy tie-in in the best eighties-Furmany way, and a character who's been out of action for a couple of years is befuddled to have reawoken in this bizarrely random universe of Generations figures. There are some nice character bits, even though in part this is a setup for the upcoming big toy/comic tie-in (and explains at least one thing that half the toy fandom was whining about in a truly endearing way.) And Stone's art is rad. Hopefully this is the way of things to come in this title, and judging from the cover of next issue, yet another random toy is on his way - it will be interesting to see if he's his usual self, or has dark designs as RiD Tankor #3.

i_amtrunks
26th September 2014, 08:01 AM
So, who'd have thought it would be Screamer who can see the threat a long way off and be able to pull everything needed together to start a pre-emotive response.

This was very well written, although I am still not used to the manner of Wheeljacks speech, but that's more due to me hearing his G1 voice when I read him than anything else.

I wonder if a prowl has set up this "insider" like he did with Soundwave, to try and scare Starscream? It seems both are playing a long game, and whilst I know a Starscream only truly cares about being in power, hearing him talking about never letting Cybertron fall is awesome. The characters in other prominent positions will set up some good plays later on. Also interesting that Windblade comes across as a smarter, more decisive and compassionate character than she did in her own mini. Is it the writing, or growth / learning from her character?

As Skyshadow said, the art is brilliant, I know some dislike the style and the eyes can be a little weird with pupils, but the style and colouring is top notch.

Easily one of the best RiD issues, and no surprise since it is a Wheeljacks based issue and those have always been Barber's most cohesive and fluent issues.

I know it is a set up issue, getting pieces in place for the upcoming event but it was a good lengthy read, lead by character interactions, with information drip fed and plenty of foreshadowing.

GoktimusPrime
27th September 2014, 06:49 PM
Great issue for reasons aforementioned by others. Found some grammatical and typographical errors; I hope that IDW will correct these for the TPB. (-_-)

Jinto
23rd October 2014, 01:13 PM
Just read today's issue. I'm not sure what's going on with Prowl, any suggestions?

Otherwise it seems like a pretty standard 'shoe-horn plot points and coincidences into everyone's backstory' kind of issue. Hopefully Rhinox shows up again.

i_amtrunks
23rd October 2014, 02:12 PM
Now if Prime tells Prowl, there'll be no worries, if Alpha talks him out of it, I can see Prowl using it as a flimsy excuse to do what he wants to do.

Prowl has the potential to be the most interesting TF character in ages (not that he already wasn't). Great setup issue, and I loved Livio's work more than I did in Primacy. He is one busy boy.

Jinto
23rd October 2014, 07:11 PM
Now if Prime tells Prowl, there'll be no worries, if Alpha talks him out of it, I can see Prowl using it as a flimsy excuse to do what he wants to do.

Prowl has the potential to be the most interesting TF character in ages (not that he already wasn't). Great setup issue, and I loved Livio's work more than I did in Primacy. He is one busy boy.

I can see him potentially being the antithesis of MTMTE's Megatron. Prowl seems like he could eventually adopt a 'peace through tyranny' approach. He believes he knows best, he's smart, headstrong and willing to disregard superiors to achieve his objectives.

GoktimusPrime
24th October 2014, 11:01 AM
Just read today's issue. I'm not sure what's going on with Prowl, any suggestions?
He's an evil sod with no moral compass? ;) Even Prowl knows this when he spoke about how nobody noticed any difference in him when he was under Bombshell's control.

I do like how the IDW comics are blurring the lines between good and evil between Autobots and Decepticons -- i.e. portraying the Autobots and Decepticons are merely political factions and not "races" where members are somehow 'genetically disposed' towards moral conduct. We have morally inconsiderate Autobots like Prowl and Whirl, and more morally considerate Decepticons like Cyclonus and Thundercracker (and arguably Megatron too). Now if only they'd do away with the whole blue-eye/red-eye thing... or maybe keeping it can also make its own point as well; that we can have evil blue-eyed Autobots and good red-eyed Decepticons. <shrugs> :o

i_amtrunks
13th November 2014, 07:48 PM
Hrmmm, a good setup issue with two really annoying characters featuring, yet not bothering me as much as I ever would have thought.

Lots of pieces being moved, good to have two big players that we have seen a whole lot go for a bit, leaving things open for business as it were. Cosmos continues to grow brighter with excellent writing and Sideswipe and Kup get a few good lines each. I enjoy Skylynx more and more too.

Spoilers (a bit) but Prowl seems to have someone in his noggin'. I'm thinking it has something to do with Devestator or the hive mind trying to integrate with him. Not sure if it means that the Constructicons are influencing him/controlling him, or Prowl is holding them at bay or if Prowl is playing or using them to further his needs and is trying to look like he isn't in control.

I am hoping that the next month or so of issues results in the squishing of the younger Witwicky, seeing more of Jimmy Pink and getting some Devestator vs. Galvatron fights.

Also more table flipping.

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2014, 12:00 AM
Also more table flipping.
^agree :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Nissan/mp_prowl_flip_zpsf150742d.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
4th December 2014, 02:44 PM
The last few issues are the most lines I've ever seen Cosmos have in comics ever - he can be a funny weird little dude :D

Liked issue #35 - for some reason I always like to see Sideswipe use his jetpack - I was really dissapointed that the MP SS didn't come with one. The Constructicons have really fallen into being Prowls posse big time. Can't wait to see them smoosh Spike!

prjkt
8th January 2015, 11:53 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing what TC does with what he discovered on the island...

i_amtrunks
24th January 2015, 04:57 PM
The solicits for April ruin any "suspense" you may have about the outcome of the next few issues.

Galvatron and Arcee have a good bit of page time, and it throws a wrinkle into things that I quite like. I see we still have Prowl saying Scrapper all the time and I am unsure of if anything he said to Spike was true or not.

BigTransformerTrev
15th March 2015, 10:31 PM
It was kinda interesting to see that Scoop nicked the Enigma of Combination and hightailed it back to Cybertron to give it to Screamer. I was wondering why Scoop had fallen in with Galvatrons crew - it had felt very shoehorned in, in that since they had the Constructicons aligning with Prowl and Megs co-captianing an Autobot ship that they had better have at least one Autobot joining the other team. But now with the whole "Scoop believing Starscream is the chosen one" thing it makes more sense that he did it just to get something for Screamer rather than suddenly believing Con doctrine.

prjkt
15th March 2015, 11:40 PM
It was kinda interesting to see that Scoop nicked the Enigma of Combination and hightailed it back to Cybertron to give it to Screamer. I was wondering why Scoop had fallen in with Galvatrons crew - it had felt very shoehorned in, in that since they had the Constructicons aligning with Prowl and Megs co-captianing an Autobot ship that they had better have at least one Autobot joining the other team. But now with the whole "Scoop believing Starscream is the chosen one" thing it makes more sense that he did it just to get something for Screamer rather than suddenly believing Con doctrine.

it's interesting, he believe that Scream is the chosen one, but (seems to) have no respect for Starscream at all...

GoktimusPrime
16th March 2015, 09:56 PM
it's interesting, he believe that Scream is the chosen one, but (seems to) have no respect for Starscream at all...
I think it's because he's more loyal to whatever divine forces that he believes in that chose Starscream. So I guess from Scoop's POV, Starscream is merely a conduit through which some higher power operates. It's interesting how Scoop and Star Sabre are both religious nutters in the IDWverse, but nutty in entirely different ways.

I like how this issue kept on playing around with the whole mass-shifting gimmick. I also loved this line...
"I'd've loved this in 1991, but living in a John Woo movie is still pretty nice..." - G.B. Blackrock
^a reference to another time when Blackrock witnessed an epic battle of titans (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/On_the_Edge_of_Extinction!). ;)

Jinto
18th March 2015, 09:20 PM
Aw man I haaaate Ramondelli's art style. *sulks*

:p

GoktimusPrime
18th March 2015, 11:29 PM
Aw man I haaaate Ramondelli's art style. *sulks*
I agree. Everything's so... chunky. No where near as bad as Pat Lee though, but still... every time I look at Marissa Fairborne's face I keep thinking, "dat chin." :p

i_amtrunks
19th March 2015, 07:03 AM
I don't mind ramondellis art style, but for this issue, I wish we had a regular ongoing artist on board. His style does not suit Windblade and I think a different artist would do a superior job highlighting the differences between Cybertronians and Camians.

Having Swindle be the main narrator was interesting, as was the motivation... Get rich quick. What a lovely way to start the war.

BigTransformerTrev
18th May 2015, 09:29 AM
I just read the last two issues. Trying to get them straight in my head from the Windblade issues, since they are pretty much one and the same comic/storyline at the moment.

But yeah, Whirl started a 4 million year war beating up Megatron in a cell, Swindle just started the Combiner Wars trying to get rich :rolleyes:. I understand why they had to use Swindle, given his history with the creation of Menasor, but kinda a shame to see the way they have used one of the few characters that over the past few years had really embraced the end of the war and was quite comfortable spending time with his former enemies.

Some of the abilities of the new Combiners are weird, Superion opening up bits in his body here and there is interesting but odd.

prjkt
18th May 2015, 11:09 AM
Some of the abilities of the new Combiners are weird, Superion opening up bits in his body here and there is interesting but odd.

I love that you can actually recreate one of those scenes (sort of) with Superion's opening chest... In fact I think I have a photo of this from a while ago, will have to find it....

Hah! here it is, from the Action Pose (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=451790&postcount=2635) thread.

http://prjkt.net/gallery3/var/albums/Resources/cwcrew/IMG_7961.jpg

i_amtrunks
21st May 2015, 10:28 PM
Twice now we've had combiners made by a group of bots being in the room at the same time as the story needed them to be.

Art is getting harder and harder to tell what is going on with Livio's art. His face work is clearer and better than before, still not great, Sunstreaker looks odd to put in mildly.

Barber does well weaving all of the old plot points, raising elements from Primacy, AHM, ongoing, MtMtE, and more. The Prowl and Prime scenes are the highlight, however I would love some more information on Rattrap to explain why he does what he did.

Seraphim Prime
22nd May 2015, 06:00 PM
I'm a little disappointed in the way that Scoop has become the replacement Scrapper.

It serves an interesting note on the nature of a combiner, and ultimately makes Devastator loyal to Starscream, but it could I would have liked to see it done almost against his will with greater repercussions to his unique identity. Unfortunately the nature of Combiner Wars means that this aspect has had to be rushed over. And we no longer have Prowlestator. :(

Kinda hoping that Hasbro will stay out of the comics for a while once this is over.

Sharky
22nd May 2015, 08:23 PM
Kinda hoping that Hasbro will stay out of the comics for a while once this is over.

this was one thing that I originally liked about idw they were not swayed by the current t of the month and had to give it exposure...

GoktimusPrime
28th May 2015, 09:41 PM
Ya know... normally I'd disagree with you and fully advocate a toy-lead focus on the franchise. But after seeing the last page of the latest issue, I'm fully inclined to agree with you. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in Transformers. (-_-)

Seraphim Prime
29th May 2015, 06:01 PM
Ya know... normally I'd disagree with you and fully advocate a toy-lead focus on the franchise. But after seeing the last page of the latest issue, I'm fully inclined to agree with you. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in Transformers. (-_-)

You see, I don't actually mind the idea of Ultra Prime in the comics, but the timing of these 5 issues have really prevented any interesting investigation of the issues surrounding combining.

I'm interested to see who's actually in control of this combined form - is it Prowl or Prime? But with only 1 issue left of this story line and a few plot threads to wrap up, I'm not going to get the story that I know could be told. (Although the solicits indicate that there will be some fall out in the upcoming issues.)

And that's the overriding feeling I've had with not-RiD since Dark Cybertron - the stories that Barber could be telling are getting hamstrung by production schedules and Hasbro influence to the point where the interesting plot threads don't get enough air time or get wrapped up so quickly that it's no longer the character-based story that it was initially.

Overall I feel that Barber gets about 10 issues of his own creative work, before he's drafted to do the next Hasbro drive, which prevents long term set up and pay offs which made RID 1-16 interesting.

i_amtrunks
18th June 2015, 07:17 PM
Latest issue really is a better ending and wrap of combiner wars, as well as being a decent setup issue for things moving forward both in the ongoing and Windblade comics.

Art is split between Griffith (Arcee and Galvatron on Earth) and Livio (on Cybertron). Griffith is as fantastic as we have come to expect, his robots aer detailed and full of expression, the colouring job by Perez is another masterclass. While I loved seeing Griffith again, it is Livio who has blown me away. I dont mind his style at all, but lately his work was getting very hard to follow, especially with the punch-a-thon that was combiner wars. This issue with just Prowl and Prime was sublime. He frames it like an interrogation scene from a spy thriller film.

While Arcee and Galvatron together is a nice combo and I love that they both know exactly what the other is doing, the Prime and Prowl stuff is where the true meat and bones are in this issue. Every panel (even the ones with a single sentence) just grab you. Prowl has been the undeniable star ever since the AHM Coda of the IDW verse, and I am glad to see that will continue into the future as I feared Screamer was going to pack him away for a spell on the sidelines while his political machinations continue.

I am very interested in the future of Prowl and his rescuer, we know that he has had his own agenda for a while, but what that agenda is remains a mystery!

GoktimusPrime
4th July 2015, 10:02 PM
I'm glad that Optimus Maximus appears to be a one hit wonder (at least for now), cos I'm still not really fond of that concept (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b3/89/28/b389288a4acf6d4617db09508200ae72.jpg). Having said that, I think that they're getting better and working in these special cameos (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys). It's cool how they managed to weave Optimus Maximus' appearance into the overall tapestry of the ongoing saga, making it more than just a mundane (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Rebirth,_Part_1) gratuitous (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sixshot_(G1)#The_Transformers_cartoon) appearance (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Punch_(G1)#Generation_1_cartoon_continuity). ;) Still... could've been much worse (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11449730/Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-wins-worst-product-placement-award.html). :p

Sharky
4th August 2015, 01:10 PM
Has anyone ready the combiner Hunters One Shot..

cant say I was really interested in it or it blew me away story wise.. infact I think the whole issue bored me...and it would of made no difference if I read it or not....

its pure toy propaganda.

i_amtrunks
4th August 2015, 04:39 PM
Has anyone ready the combiner Hunters One Shot..

cant say I was really interested in it or it blew me away story wise.. infact I think the whole issue bored me...and it would of made no difference if I read it or not....

its pure toy propaganda.

My exact thoughts. I was looking forward to it as well. Thought it'd either be setting something up or at least funny/gritty/good characterisation.

In the end it was a fluff nothing, no better than a badly written fan fic.

On the other hand, I loved the latest MtMtE, it feels like we are getting back to what Roberts was wanting to do before the Megatron brick landed through the Lost Light's window. Especially when someone pointed out the damaged plate on Swerves shoulder all the way back in Chaos theory!!!

It was a bit heavy on the sitcom feel, but it makes sense with Swerve's near obsessive consumption of Earth "culture".

Alos nice to have some more resonable art, I dont mind cartoony art, but the art should match the story, which it does not on the Windblade mini.

CaminusPrime
5th August 2015, 10:54 PM
Actually at the end of combiner hunters, it mentions that Victorion will be joining the earth story. Still issue felt worthless however i think/hope it will be mentioned later.

CHILENO20
9th August 2015, 10:00 PM
Seeing Megatron as a human (albeit an avatar), kinda gives me the impression of a Clint Eastwood-ish look. All the others were pretty good. Combiner Hunters was a bit of a let down, in the end just a piece to sell new products.

GoktimusPrime
10th August 2015, 12:31 AM
Seeing Megatron as a human (albeit an avatar), kinda gives me the impression of a Clint Eastwood-ish look. All the others were pretty good. Combiner Hunters was a bit of a let down, in the end just a piece to sell new products.
Was this meant to be posted on the More Than Meets The Eye review thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=18397)? :o Just mentioning as there may be people who are up to date w/ RiD but haven't read the latest MTMTE yet and might inadvertantly stumble upon this spoiler.

I haven't read Combiner Hunters yet. Not saying that you divulged any spoilers, but I really should stop looking at this thread until I've read it. :p

prjkt
17th August 2015, 12:19 AM
now this is related to First Aid's backstory on MTMTE, but I find it kind a funny that Ambulon's death had such an impact on First Aid, that he took Ambulon's "spot" as left leg for Defensor

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2015, 10:57 AM
Ambulon wasn't Defensor's leg. He was the right leg for a prototype Decepticon gestalt, but Ambulon later escaped and defected to the Autobots. I thought that the remaining members of that prototype gestalt team were either killed or MIA. It's also not known if Ambulon would've been even compatible to combine with Defensor either, as he was an early prototype; it's not as if a Constructicon can combine with a Protectobot. Actually, I don't think any of the IDW gestalts have been shown as being capable of swapping members between teams, even though the toys can ('cept Devvy).

Then again, Anglophone continuity's never really played up the whole "Scramburu Pawaah!" aspect of the interchangeable gestalts. ;)

Sharky
17th August 2015, 11:17 AM
Ambulon wasn't Defensor's leg. He was the right leg for a prototype Decepticon gestalt, but Ambulon later escaped and defected to the Autobots. I thought that the remaining members of that prototype gestalt team were either killed or MIA. It's also not known if Ambulon would've been even compatible to combine with Defensor either, as he was an early prototype; it's not as if a Constructicon can combine with a Protectobot. Actually, I don't think any of the IDW gestalts have been shown as being capable of swapping members between teams, even though the toys can ('cept Devvy).

Then again, Anglophone continuity's never really played up the whole "Scramburu Pawaah!" aspect of the interchangeable gestalts. ;)

Pretty Sure is Ambulon was still around at the time the protectobots were exposed to the Enigma of Combination he would of been able to combine as it magically does whatever is needed to do to get the desired result

prjkt
17th August 2015, 11:59 PM

Oh I know he wasn't part of Defender (probably could have made my post a little clearer) - I just thought it was possibly a clever reminder that Ambulon's death had affected First Aid in such a manner - I just couldn't remember whether he was a left or a right leg.

i_amtrunks
10th September 2015, 08:00 AM
Wrong thread. Excuse me while I move it to the MtMtE thread.

Paulbot
10th September 2015, 09:27 AM
Latest issue was easily my favourite so far this season. Nightbeat was fantastic, calling back the Furman era and the whole "Roberts thing" of making a supernatural / deity figure just a fan/regular joe was a great touch.

Megatron not being part of his season two seems to be no longer a big thing, the end page was amazing and really hit home to both me as a reader and to the character of Megatron as well.

Art was spectacular, I had no idea that we had a different artist. Certainly a high point for the last year or so!

Wrong review thread. Good issue though :)

i_amtrunks
10th September 2015, 07:06 PM
Wrong review thread. Good issue though :)

Dad nammit. Can't half tell that it is week 9 of the school term!

SMHFConvoy
21st November 2015, 06:55 PM
It's so nice to read a TF comic that has an artist who can draw people like they're people instead of the chunky blocks of flesh that Andrew Griffiths draws. :)

GoktimusPrime
31st May 2016, 01:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/meme_spoilers_riversong_zps3g8qve9u.gif

Guh... the story's just getting silly with the whole Earth being a Cosmic deus ex machina MacGuffin that can make anyone into some ridiculous gestalt or unmake existing gestalts. I understand that Hasbro's likely pushed them to introduce characters like Victorion and Sky Reign, but this is just getting stupid with literally every Tom, Dick and Harry becoming gestalts. (-_-) And the art in the current issue doesn't suit this series IMO. It was fine for Windblade, but doesn't seem to suit the tone of RiD. The worse one was when we first see Optimus Prime shooting back at the humans -- it's so badly drawn. Optimus Prime is just standing still like a poorly articulated G1 toy and shooting at the sky without looking up. It's as if this were an illustrated photocomic using G1 toys.

The story otherwise had potential, but is burdened by such a silly plot device. It's even worse than other toyline-driven stories like The Rebirth. Imagine if The Rebirth decided to make everyone into Headmasters and Targetmasters, like say Optimus Prime, Galvatron... oh wait, that's Titans Return. :p :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
3rd June 2016, 04:43 PM
I am in agreeance with you about the issue Gok. The art itself is okay, and the human characters do not look terrible (I love the dismembered Blackrock face) but it does not suit the series. The only other art choice that would have been worse is Livio's and that's only because with all this stupid and dues ex machina combining would look terrible in his blocky style.

The story is becoming sillier by the issue, such a shame that it seems Hasbro has put heavy restraints and demands on a series that was finally looking like it was finding its place in the mythos after the brainwashed Prowl cop-out (pun unintended).

This comic does not need to sell toys, the numbers aren't good enough and the toy main demographic does not match the comic audience.

GoktimusPrime
4th June 2016, 11:02 PM
The silliness seems to go beyond just selling toys. Having seemingly random characters combine makes no sense, unless Hasbro's gonna surprise us with upcoming new versions of these characters that can combine like this. To me it feels like Barber's having a "gestalt tantrum," almost as if...

"Hasbro wants me to write in more Combiners? Fine! Let's make everyone a freakin' Combiner! Dreadwing, Blitzwing, Astrotrain, Mindwipe, Acid Storm -- combine to form, Galvatronus!"

"John, none of those toys form Galv---"

"Shut up, it's Galvatronus! Now, Sky Lynx, Thundercracker, Sunstreaker, Cosmos and Slugslinger -- combine to form Sky Reign!"

"How is this even possible when Galvatron doesn't even possess the Enigma of Combination?"

"The entire Earth is now one giant Enigma of Combination!"

"Why?"

"Because reasons!"

"This is stupider than Revenge of the Fallen. Get off my shoulder, Barber!"

GoktimusPrime
13th August 2016, 04:30 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/meme_spoilers_riversong_zps3g8qve9u.gif

Thoroughly enjoyable! :D It had the right balance between political drama and action, including transforming! :) Seeing Optimus Prime and Soundwave fight side by side was awesome, and the moment where Buzzsaw and Laserbeak came to rescue Cosmos was both touching and provided good comedic pause within what is otherwise a pretty tense story.

Optimus Prime's execution of Galvatron was also a really interesting moment. I know that I've previously criticised Bayverse Optimus Prime for his cold blooded execution of Scavenger and Sentinel Prime, but IDW Optimus Prime's execution of Galvatron is - IMO - an entirely different concept. It feels more like Mace Windu's justification for wanting to assassinate Palpatine, because he's too dangerous to be left alive (and he was). The same holds true for Galvatron. There is no emotional malice in IDW OP's actions - he's killing Galvatron because he has to, not because he wants to. It's made clear that it's the only way to maintain peace for Cybertronians and humans, and of course, it allowed Optimus Prime to open dialogue with the humans to avoid further bloodshed. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the individual.

Or was there another way? Would it have been possible for Optimus Prime and Soundwave to capture Galvatron and transport him back to Cybertron for incarceration? Or would Galvatron still have potentially posed a threat even from within imprisonment? I'm curious to know what others think... I feel that Optimus Prime was justified in his actions, but perhaps there are some of you who may disagree. :o

i_amtrunks
17th August 2016, 10:47 PM
Oh look, his head was kept...

That won't be a McGuffin later on now will it?

This upcoming Hasbro crossover is going to undo everything the last few issues have done fixing up the previous ridiculous Hadbro mandate. Just a few issues after being required to sell toys and RiD was on the up and up, had a very interesting and logical (comic logic, but still) series of actions from a number of characters but now we wait to see how things get shoehorned in.