PDA

View Full Version : OLYMPICS

TheDirtyDigger
8th August 2008, 09:57 AM
Go Aussies!!! Let's hope for some more (per capita) domination of the Games.

And to all the supporters of the foreign nations...good luck! May you do slightly less better than us!:)

iceburn
8th August 2008, 10:06 AM
ah shucks...when's (what time is) the opening ceremony!!
they started on a nice date but a darn FRIDAY when people are working...

TheDirtyDigger
8th August 2008, 10:07 AM
It's tonight mate.

komikskolektor
8th August 2008, 10:08 AM
Opening ceremony is at 9:50pm, channel 7 is broadcasting it live

iceburn
8th August 2008, 10:26 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...oki, getting ready popcorns and coke!

STL
8th August 2008, 10:26 AM
Olympics = joke.

TheDirtyDigger
8th August 2008, 10:33 AM
Olympics = joke.

You didn't make the team again and you're bitter!

iceburn
8th August 2008, 10:35 AM
it's better than Big Brother at least

Pulse
8th August 2008, 10:37 AM
So how many athletes you reckon will need help breathing after their event...? :D

gamblor916
8th August 2008, 11:02 AM
I wonder how many of the outdoor events will have althetes with face masks?

MV75
8th August 2008, 11:13 AM
So how many athletes you reckon will need help breathing after their event...? :D

More like how many atheletes will be permanently impared after the games?

I can also picture the opening ceremony, the flashes of fireworks will be like flashes of lightning in thick clouds. :D
________
Ford Model T History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Model_T)

i_amtrunks
8th August 2008, 11:18 AM
Beijing is on Perth time so the games will be on a good primetime schedule. Also means Channel 7 wont be playing 12 hour old replays of everything all day like they did for Athens. SBS is helping out too, so we might actually get to see sports like Handball where Australia does not dominate (or in Handballs case, even play).

Chance of rain for the Opening Ceremony, it'll be interesting to see if it throws a spanner in the works.

And as for per capita medals DD, I'm sure that no-one comes even close to us in that aspect! Here's hoping the UK flounder for yet another games! :p

iceburn
8th August 2008, 11:50 AM
no sleep tonight??

Tommy K
8th August 2008, 01:07 PM
i have probably only 1 thing to say about the olympics

its mostlikely going to take my boston legal off for 2 weeks so im a little bit mad but other than that i welcome it with all of chinas fogginess lol

Soundwarp
8th August 2008, 02:43 PM
B O Y C O T T ! !

autobreadticon
8th August 2008, 03:07 PM
it will be funny seeing how different althetes decide to protest against China (People are protesting for democratic change, Chinese people who get defensive that people are bad-mouthing China are not realising people are saying bad things because of the communist government and not China as a country.When reports show Chinese people supporting this communist government ,off course it is going to send negative messages about the type of people in China.

iceburn
8th August 2008, 03:12 PM
even our McDonalds Animated Toys released have been taken over by the Olympic dolls

Tober
8th August 2008, 03:14 PM
B O Y C O T T ! !

Not exactly, but I didn't bother watching it while it was literally just outside 8 years ago so I'm not going to bother this time either.

dirge
8th August 2008, 06:14 PM
Australia's media obsession with the Olympics is boring. We'll win a bunch of medals in sports that noone cares about at any other times. We'll do quite well too, because no other country sends such a ridiculously large team (relative to population).

So that I can keep things interesting for myself, I'm going to follow that great Aussie tradition of supporting the underdog... so I'm backing a country I know nothing about.

Go Malawi!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/Flag_of_Malawi.svg/125px-Flag_of_Malawi.svg.png

GoktimusPrime
8th August 2008, 06:41 PM
ボスニア・ヘルツェゴビナ頑張れ!http://www.multimediapalace.com/fl/flags-02/b/ba_new-flag1.gif

STL
8th August 2008, 06:50 PM
Not exactly, but I didn't bother watching it while it was literally just outside 8 years ago so I'm not going to bother this time either.

I'm with you there. I normally don't even care. The Commonwealth Games, the Olympics games in Sydney all meant jack nor jill to me and they in our backyard. But this time, I'm even more so staunchly against it b/c of the underlying issues that everyone so conveniently sidesteps.

And besides even if I wanted to see it, all indications are I wouldn't be able to see very much.

MV75
8th August 2008, 07:33 PM
B O Y C O T T ! !

I'm not doing that, I'm just not bothering. ;)

Sports events havn't interested me in a long long time.

I do love motorsports, but even for the last few years I havn't bothered watching things like bathurst.

Thank goodness I have foxtel here and I've got a kickarse enough internet connection to watch TVU. :)

And speaking of foxtel, I've currently got the start of the next 17 days of cartoons running, simpsons is on right now. "The snow tastes like fish sticks" :D

"Facts of life transformers"
"A radioactive scorpion"

:D
________
CALIFORNIA MDECIAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

roller
8th August 2008, 07:41 PM
Bah the Olympics

a momentous waste of time in this era and any other time

Look at Sydney, the stupid white elephant olympic park area at Homebush is only used by schools occassionaly. The train that goes there is ridiculously expensive, so no one catches it, but hey the NSW taxpayer still has to fork out for it.

Every country that hosts the games in the last 20 years suffers financially

It would be better If you humans spent your money and energy on more important things like a global weather control system or to help your impoverished brethren, instead of this jingoistic patriotism that infects the majority of people.

Plus, i miss out on M*A*S*H thanks to channel 7s coverage from lovely Beijing (Peking to you gweilos)

So to summise= Olympics are a waste of time and a farce to put a gloss on things while the world runs into the mud

dirge
8th August 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm even more so staunchly against it b/c of the underlying issues that everyone so conveniently sidesteps.

While the mainstream media does this, some news outlets are very aware of the issues. I'll admit I tend to avoid the shallow, stage-managed news, media.

For mine, the Olympic movement as a whole has done it's image a lot of harm by choosing this year's host nation. What amazes me is that the IOC will boldly declare that politics has no place in the Olympics, when it's pretty obvious that China's reason for wanting to host the games is political gain. Regardless of what you might think of the controversies surrounding the PRC government, the IOC has dragged itself into those controversies - and has noone to blame but itself for politics hanging over this year's games.

TheDirtyDigger
8th August 2008, 08:25 PM
I like how all the nations of the world get together for something.:)

Also I love the Floor event. I think the girls that do that are the closest thing to superhumans that our species has got.........apart from me.

dirge
8th August 2008, 08:47 PM
Also I love the Floor event.

I have to pick you up on this. The floor is not an event, it's an apparatus. :rolleyes:

I think the girls that do that are the closest thing to superhumans that our species has got.........apart from me.

If you're the best we have, Homo sapiens may just be in trouble :D

Pulse
8th August 2008, 09:04 PM
Swimming? Diving? Table Tennis? Walking???

How boring can you get? :D

Now if only they would introduce exciting sports to the Olympics... :) (eg. MMA (http://www.ufc.com/) - Now that would get people psyched for more... ;))

iceburn
8th August 2008, 09:38 PM
ok! i'm beginning to get bored with this opening ceremony..
it's prob getting too Chinese for me

TheDirtyDigger
8th August 2008, 10:46 PM
I have to pick you up on this. The floor is not an event, it's an apparatus. :rolleyes:

For other people maybe.
Me...I turn it into a very special event!;)

If you're the best we have, Homo sapiens may just be in trouble :D

You're right. You're in trouble.

STL
8th August 2008, 10:48 PM
You're right. You're in trouble.

:D :D :D

Rampage
9th August 2008, 04:13 PM
man i hate Bruce McAveney what a knob

'Michael Phelps is perhaps the biggest star at these games'

wtf

Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Yao Ming
Nadal/Federer
Williams Sisters

ever heard of them Bruce :eek:

swimming would be better if the lane ropes were electrified:p

TheDirtyDigger
9th August 2008, 04:34 PM
man i hate Bruce McAveney what a knob

\

Agreed 100%. You'd think they'd find someone less overwhelmingly emphatic and sycophantic.

GoktimusPrime
9th August 2008, 10:38 PM
(eg. MMA - Now that would get people psyched for more... )
There are already several sports that were developed from martial arts, such as:
+ Wrestling
+ Judo
+ Taekwondo
+ Archery
+ Fencing
+ Javelin (part of Modern Pentathlon)
+ Boxing

Pulse
9th August 2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah but I can't stand the "Olympic Versions" of those sports... :rolleyes:

Freestyle & Greco-Roman wrestling? Puh-leese... No wonder Kurt Angle gave it up first opportunity he had...

Amateur boxing? WTF!? I know boxing these days is fixed as but I'd still much rather watch Lennox Lewis & Holyfield slug it out one more time rather than watching Felix Savon knock out some wannabe... :rolleyes:

(I wonder why Savon never turned pro? :rolleyes: If you were a boxer, Would you rather be an Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion or an Olympic Gold Medallist? Which title has more acclaim in the boxing world... It wouldn't be that hard to figure it out... :rolleyes:)

dirge
9th August 2008, 11:24 PM
Did anyone else catch Bruce McAveney claiming during the opening ceremony that Liberia has the _only_ female head of state?

http://www.solarnavigator.net/images/Queen_Elizabeth.jpg

http://www.omfg.info/wp-content/uploads/notsocute.jpg

kup
9th August 2008, 11:25 PM
Did anyone else catch Bruce McAveney claiming during the opening ceremony that Liberia has the _only_ female head of state?

http://www.solarnavigator.net/images/Queen_Elizabeth.jpg

http://www.omfg.info/wp-content/uploads/notsocute.jpg

or he knows something we don't :eek:

TheDirtyDigger
9th August 2008, 11:38 PM
What about Angela Merkel???http://fruitfly.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/bush_groping_merkel.jpg

dirge
10th August 2008, 12:57 AM
DD, there are also female monarchs in Denmark & The Netherlands.

As well as Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Cook Islands, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, United Kingdom (& colonies), who all share our head of state.

Ireland, Finland, the Philippines, Switzerland, Chile, India & Argentina also have (elected) female heads of state.

Oh, and Merkel isn't actually the head of state, just head of government ;)

TheDirtyDigger
10th August 2008, 06:25 AM
Oh, and Merkel isn't actually the head of state, just head of government ;)

My bad. Was just too eager to get that pic of Dubya groping her in there.

dirge
10th August 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I know. And it's a great pic!

GoktimusPrime
10th August 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah but I can't stand the "Olympic Versions" of those sports...
Why?

Freestyle & Greco-Roman wrestling? Puh-leese... No wonder Kurt Angle gave it up first opportunity he had...
Because?

Amateur boxing? WTF!? I know boxing these days is fixed as but I'd still much rather watch Lennox Lewis & Holyfield slug it out one more time rather than watching Felix Savon knock out some wannabe...
You're not backing up any of these statements with rational reasons. I don't follow fighting sports so none of these names mean anything to me. Is it simply because you find non-Olympic boxing to be more brutal? IMO non-Olympic boxing is a bloodsport. Many medical associations have continued to criticise the sport because of its so-called brutality... a level of brutality that I don't think would be acceptable to the Olympic ideal.

(I wonder why Savon never turned pro? If you were a boxer, Would you rather be an Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion or an Olympic Gold Medallist? Which title has more acclaim in the boxing world... It wouldn't be that hard to figure it out... )
That entirely depends on the nature of the boxer.

I personally have no interest in Olympic Judo or Taekwondo - or any martial arts that is involved in competition, and that includes MMA. To me they're not really martial arts in the traditional combative sense, they're sports. But that's just my personal opinion because when it comes to martial arts I'm more of a traditionalist - I'm more interested in fight applications and self-defence instead of entertainment or competition (i.e.: I'm more interested in the art rather than the sport). But that's me.

I wouldn't say that modern sports martial arts like Taekwondo, K-1 and MMA have no acclaim in the martial arts world - that would be bollocks. If anything, modern martial arts have more acclaim amongst martial artists these days than traditional martial arts. Look at the coloured belt ranking system - that's something that came from modern sports martial arts (originated from Judo). The vast majority of martial art schools use it - so much so that some people actually think that it's traditional!! Haw! Do you think your average Okinawan fisherman would waste his money purchasing karate uniforms, coloured belts and grading fees?? Gradings?! That would've been utterly unheard of in your typical Okinawan fishing village! Most folks just trained in their regular clothes (or a lot less on a hot stinking day in tropical Okinawa).

"Belt mean no need rope hold up pants." - Mr. Miyagi (The Karate Kid)

Having said that, there are isolated fighting skills/techniques that you can analyse from watching fighting sports and on a rare occasion you do get individuals who manage to become exceptionally good fighters despite the fact that they're trained in a sport rather than a fighting style. Mohammed Ali is a classic example of this; he came to understand the fighting principles of Yin Yang (or as he put it, "float like a butterfly sting like a bee"; i.e.: that one must be soft and hard in a cyclical flow) - a concept that I find a lot of fighters struggle with.

P.S.: It may be more appropriate to continue any more in-depth discussions about martial arts in this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=129&).

roller
10th August 2008, 11:36 AM
bah to the Olympics

bring back the Roman style games, we could have criminals and lowlives terminated in style.

Pulse
10th August 2008, 12:39 PM
Is it simply because you find non-Olympic boxing to be more brutal? IMO non-Olympic boxing is a bloodsport. Many medical associations have continued to criticise the sport because of its so-called brutality... a level of brutality that I don't think would be acceptable to the Olympic ideal.

I think you've summed it up perfectly. I luv watching the UFC, Pro Boxing & Pro Rassling (Yes, I know it's fake) because I luv the brutality of it. I luv the bloodsport factor of it. I give those Pro Fighters/Boxers/Rasslers a hell of alot of credit for stepping into the ring because they know they could receive the beating of their life. But they're trained professionals who know what they're doing & the sporting authorities wouldn't let them step into the ring if they felt the Pro fighters/boxers/rasslers weren't ready for it.

Olympic fighting sports have no brutality & no bloodsport... so therefore, they don't interest me even one iota.

autobreadticon
10th August 2008, 07:47 PM
i dont care when people from around the world get together to compete, except for the miss universe contest!!1

Bartrim
10th August 2008, 08:03 PM
I would probably watch more of the olympics if the Australian media weren't so bloody over patriotic... It sickens me. Plus with Fox8's battle of the animations on I'll be tuning in to that.

Although I hear the aussie softball team may have a new hottie since I believe Natalie Ward has retired so I'll be watching that;)

blackie
10th August 2008, 08:57 PM
god damm olympics. all i wanted to do was watch the basketball, and every time they said it was coming up tonite, all i would see is swimming, or gymnastics.

channel 7 murder the olympics and have done ever since i remember

</rant>

:P

Pulse
10th August 2008, 09:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any interesting Olympic/Olympic-related memories from years gone by...? :)

I can remember one night from the Sydney Games, Lisa Maree & I were watching the Women's Gymnastics from our own bedrooms & talking on our phones at the same time. At one point, I remember her saying "Do you wish I could do stuff like that? ;)"...

:o

dirge
10th August 2008, 11:56 PM
The only Olympic sport I care for is on SBS, thankfully.

For the, the fact that it's an Olympic tournament is a mere detail, since I follow the teams involved anyway. Italy 3 - Korea 0 tonight (:

Kyle
11th August 2008, 04:43 AM
I love watching gymnastics... :p

Bartrim
11th August 2008, 08:10 AM
Blackie tune into SBS. It's got better coverage then 7. Ibelieve there has been some basketball screened on there already.

blackie
11th August 2008, 08:15 AM
Blackie tune into SBS. It's got better coverage then 7. Ibelieve there has been some basketball screened on there already.

thanks man. i know thet have bball, but the main problem is, is that channel 7 get to choose what they show, and then the dont let the whole thing air, but rather just play highlights. SBS only show what 7 dont want to, which sucks cause they dont show half of what they could.

oh yeah, i dont hate gymnastics,or anything, just annoys me they show so much of it :P

</rant>

roller
11th August 2008, 09:25 AM
hey guys

wouldn't it be cool if the Vehicons showed up at the Olympics???

Or i don't know

Megatron had his own 'Vehicon Olympics'

hahahahaweeeeeeeeeeeewooooooooooooo

i_amtrunks
11th August 2008, 09:30 AM
Thank whatever deity you wish for SBS.

Not only do they know how to cover sport, their coverage of the Cycling, Football, Volleyball and Gymnastics actually has experts doing the commentary, rather than the morons that Channel 7 employ. Channel 7 only cares about the Swimming, and occasionally other sports the Aussies are competing in, but only if they have people on their payroll in those sports.

For the Sydneysiders Radio 2GB 873 is the best way to go, they are covering a plethora of sports and continuously crossing over for live scores that Channel 7 will never be able to compete with.

Pulse
11th August 2008, 09:43 AM
Not only do they know how to cover sport, their coverage of the Cycling, Football, Volleyball and Gymnastics actually has experts doing the commentary, rather than the morons that Channel 7 employ. Channel 7 only cares about the Swimming, and occasionally other sports the Aussies are competing in, but only if they have people on their payroll in those sports.

But I thought this knob...

http://blogs.thewest.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/bruce-blog.jpg

knew absolutely everything about every sport... :confused: :D

(the cue cards actually lie?! shock horror!?)

Bartrim
11th August 2008, 10:19 AM
If anyones got "The best bits of The Late Show: Champagne Edition" DVD Rob Sitch does a truly hilarious impression of him.

roller
11th August 2008, 02:06 PM
Vehicon Olympics

Vehicon Olympics

Vehicon Olympics

Rampage
11th August 2008, 02:31 PM
thanks man. i know thet have bball, but the main problem is, is that channel 7 get to choose what they show, and then the dont let the whole thing air, but rather just play highlights. SBS only show what 7 dont want to, which sucks cause they dont show half of what they could.

oh yeah, i dont hate gymnastics,or anything, just annoys me they show so much of it :P

</rant>

yet we have to sit through meaningless cycling road races, swimming heats + interviews with athletes i couldn't give 2shits about

at least they showed most of the USA vs China bball on 7 with random ad breaks in the middle of play for no particular reason

the Boomers played so badly they only deserved the 10 minutes they got on tv.

Bogut is a hack:mad:

i_amtrunks
12th August 2008, 11:20 AM
Opals played well, but the refs were really picking on Lauren Jackson, 2 of her 4 fouls were only given because she is a superstar, they were as soft as marshmallows.

Has anyone else noticed that the intro/outro music that Channel 7 is using sounds very similar to music from the Transformers Score, A combination of Arrival to Earth and something from a later section...

roller
12th August 2008, 11:27 AM
Vehicon Olympics woooo wooo woooo

Pulse
13th August 2008, 01:47 PM
IM worthless O :o,
these Olympics seem to be missing something, something of a comedic element...

Now I've figured it out! Ch 7 screwed up by not calling upon:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Royandhg.jpg

Roy & HG - We need you to bring some life to these "so-called" Olympics... :)

TheDirtyDigger
13th August 2008, 02:06 PM
The China vs Spain b'ball game was rocking last night.

China dominated the whole game till the last quarter when Spain came back. Scores were tied on the final buzzer but then in the granted 5 minutes of overtime China choked and Spain came out winners by ten points.

I've heard Roy and HG on Triple J or somewhere doing Olympic stuff.

i_amtrunks
13th August 2008, 03:09 PM
That Basketball game was good indeed, much better than watching the Aussies get trounced again.

I've heard Roy and HG on Triple J or somewhere doing Olympic stuff.

I hope I get a chance to hear them commentate for the Greco-Roman Wrestling.

TheDirtyDigger
13th August 2008, 04:48 PM
Just got this in an email from Crikey...

H.G. Nelson writes:

"It ‘s a masterpiece!" Bruce subtly bellowed form the booth when Phelps splashed away from the rest in the 200 metres freestyle in world record time. There are a number of very big works still to come form the artistic genius of the deep end that is Michael Phelps. Bruce summed up the thoughts of swim-loving Australians who are dreaming that Phelps can get that golden eight. Speaking of dreams, Thorpe v Phelps ... I dangle that before a nation licking its lips at an unimaginable prospect.

The superlatives were thick like smog in the Beijing air at the Water Cube yesterday. Our golden "Lethal" Leisel found the redemption that had held her in solitary purgatory since a dud swim in Athens. With "Lethal" out of limbo the good news flooded in. The Aussie women snared silver in the 10-metre synchro diving and on the horse, in a cliff hanger, Lucinda Fredericks pulled in another silver. Our brown out in bronze was steaming, headed up by Robin "Ding Dong" Bell in C1 slalom.

Elsewhere, there was further success for the Aussie beach volley-ball tilt. The Buckets, Cook and Barnet, are into the knockout round and The Spades, Slack and Schacht, are after more redemption when they take on the tricky Brazilians tonight.

Sadly there were some duds on the road to our golden glory yesterday "Little" Lleyton Hewitt (known in China as "Small" Lleyton Hewitt) bowed out. His dream of gold is over as he went down to the big noise of men’s tennis, Rafael Nadal.

Casey Dellacqua and Sam Stosur were also bundled out in the trying conditions.

Bogut’s Boomers seem to have become unglued loosing to Argentina. They will now need a hoop miracle to medal. Our softball side is struggling. The men’s water polo team, the Sea Cucumbers, blew it against Spain. Russell Mark, our double trap shooter, was robbed by rowdy home-town gee-up merchants in the crowd who swayed the judges to see obvious misses as hits. Spare a thought for "Punchy" Tunstall’s All Stars going round in the sweet science at the Beijing Workers' Auditorium. They are being monstered by opponents and judges who have lost all form with the scoring pencil and paper.

Today the lazy susan of Olympic sport spins at a dizzying speed. Phelps is in action, creating another "big masterpiece" the 200 fly. Our Bruce has something "special" up his sleeve today if the expected happens. This is the event that our pre-games thumper Nick Darcy was set to explode in.

The Aussie rice cracker, Stephanie gets wet again in the 200 metres individual medley and the "Oi! Oi! Oi!" gold rush will be on. The Men and Women throw the leg over in time trial and pedal off into the smog. The Olyroos take on the tricky Ivory Coast. This one will be live on SBS after an avalanche of complaints about Seven’s interrupted glimpses of previous matches. The Opal Killers, having put away Belarus and Brazil, will be leaving blood on the paint as they take another step toward gold, this time against the nervous Koreans.

The AOC chef de mission in Beijing, John Coates, is having a blinder. He has wisely "ordered" members of the Aussie assault to wear team uniforms whenever they are out and about taking in the wonderful sights and the incredible fun that Beijing has to offer after hours. Presumably this is to prevent Aussie Olympians from being mistaken for Americans. There won’t be any problems because the Chinese love Australians. This was widely commented on during the -- as has been revealed -- totally fake Opening Ceremony.

When the Australians came into the Birds' Nest, on that night of nights, there was a huge roar. The Chinese President Hu Jintao was on his feet waving and cheering wildly in that muted way of his, welcoming the green and gold army turned out as the Sportscraft Blue Bags. The Numero Uno big wig then sat down and had to be prompted by minders to resume the perpendicular to welcome the humongous home side into the main arena.

The Coates order to wear the green and gold gives a tiny insight into the quality of the leadership at the very top of this 2008 Aussie tilt. Whispers too loud to ignore suggest that Coates is thinking of pulling the pin and retiring after the Beijing hit out. This idea has to be nipped in the bud, because there is simply no one else. When the AOC opens the cupboard doors to see who is left, the only two with their hands in the air for the top job are Lord Gosper and "Punchy" Tunstall. This may sound like a dream team ticket but it would be a big step into the unknown.

The politics and protests which dogged the early days of this Beijing world carnival of school sports have dried up. The Chinese organisers have cunningly set aside three parks for protests where people could turn up and shout about what ever they liked. These protest hot spots were located in Ritan Park, Purple Bamboo Park and World Park. However, with rat-like cunning all protests have to be officially authorised and so far none have been approved. None are likely to get the go ahead. Chinese people wandering in to ask for a permit have been frog marched straight to jail. Even the cabbies are dobbing in any one who wants a lift to these scenic hot spots.

Australia has so much to learn about running a country efficiently from the Chinese and these Games are giving our government officials far too many ideas

Bartrim
15th August 2008, 08:05 AM
Thought some of our single members might be interested in this...:)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24183706-5001023,00.html?referrer=email

Pulse
15th August 2008, 09:54 AM

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24183706-5001023,00.html?referrer=email

Roller, it's time for you to make your move... ;)

but if you p#ss her off, you might get clubbed with a hockey stick... :D

Saintly
15th August 2008, 09:56 AM

LOL!!! some (erm.. slim, I meant) chance :)

Tommy K
18th August 2008, 03:10 PM
oh man i love the womens volleyball especially the polish team if you dont understand why, you should watch them play, or what they wair

STL
18th August 2008, 04:47 PM
I lub Grant Hack! :D :D :D

roller
18th August 2008, 08:12 PM
Vehicon Olympics are better then this

Saintly
18th August 2008, 11:38 PM
agrees with kuzzy :P

STL
18th August 2008, 11:39 PM
agrees with kuzzy :P
Anyone got a clip?

Saintly
18th August 2008, 11:50 PM
Anyone got a clip?

no clips/videos... and I won't link to content... just google polish volleyball team and choose the polish-blog link about team roster for some pictures.

ps. do not try view the vids from other sites in that link, all the installable executable files are trojans.

EDIT: on 2nd thought, there's some on youtube

TheDirtyDigger
19th August 2008, 12:57 PM
We're coming 4th atm! Go Aussies!!!:)

Although England are cheating into 3rd place by claiming the medals of the Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish. Bastard poms...I thought this was supposed to be between countries.

Pulse
19th August 2008, 02:50 PM
Well, we could claim the medals of the Kiwi's but it wouldn't actually add anything to our total... :rolleyes: :D

STL
19th August 2008, 03:08 PM
Have we included Tasmania yet?

i_amtrunks
20th August 2008, 10:25 AM
The Poms have gone gold crazy in cycling, I guess $50 Million can buy you Gold medals then.

Do we have any Gold medal winners who arent from QLD yet? I'm not sure where the Sailors came from, and I'm not sure where Emma Snowshill calls home now.

Loved seeing the chinese girl get relegated in the cycling last night. Any athlete who stacks their bike in the velodrome without assistance, and then tries to force another rider off their bike deserves to be eliminated from competition.

That being said, she will be a force to be reckoned with if she hangs around, that girl had crazy speed.

Pulse
20th August 2008, 10:37 AM
I was watching some 105kg + Weightlifting last night & towards the end, the commentators were calling them "The strongest people in the world!"... :rolleyes:

What a load of Bullcr#p! These guys are the World's Strongest People! (http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/) If only they would get involved with the Olympics, That would be awesome! :)

Rampage
20th August 2008, 04:54 PM
I was watching some 105kg + Weightlifting last night & towards the end, the commentators were calling them "The strongest people in the world!"... :rolleyes:

What a load of Bullcr#p! These guys are the World's Strongest People! (http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/) If only they would get involved with the Olympics, That would be awesome! :)

most of the WSM competitors are juiced up to the max & wouldn't be allowed to compete at the olympics

it is rare for a world class weightlifter or powerlifter to compete in a WSM contest (due to high risk of injury) and when they do they normally place highly or win

it was a good comp though with Steiner winning gold on the last lift of the competition he was fired up big time:D