PDA

View Full Version : KO 20th Anniv Prime???

6gyrating_gynoid9
14th January 2008, 09:59 PM
I just discovered this listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-MP-01-Convoy-Optimus-Prime_W0QQitemZ140198406224QQihZ004QQcategoryZ753Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on ebay.

KO??

liegeprime
14th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Definitely....

1orion2many
14th January 2008, 10:07 PM
:(What next will they try and devalue:confused:.

kup
14th January 2008, 10:08 PM
Wow! Do the Chinese now have replication machines or something? Its not easy to make duplicates of such a complex figure.

However its not worth the price unless you broke your real MP-01 and need spare parts.
________
Blowjob gagging (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/345/gagging/videos/1)

iceburn
14th January 2008, 10:11 PM
OMG...this is gonna get harder with every TF figure we buy!!
is Hasbro doing anything to stop cheap manufacturing cost vs toy plans from being exposed to other KO dealers?

i am already having doubts about buying Metroplex, seeing so many KOs on ebay right now...

liegeprime
14th January 2008, 10:14 PM
its all plastic i think.... so the quality of the parts would be questionable as replacements kup, they (same manufacturers) started with the binaltechs (seen the KOs before in Phils) when the line was in its infancy. Hmmm we'd probably see in the near future a KO MP Megs - well hes mostly plastic so hell be quite easy to KO. wish theyd KO in a fine quality i suppose some energon cubes hehehehehe.

dirge
14th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Part of the problem here is the international nature of this, Iceburn.

Hasbro could easily flex their corporate muscle if these things were coming out of, say, Delaware. But their ability to do the same in other jurisidictions can be limited. The Chinese government doesn't always care about things such as a copyright and quality control.

They have statutes against this sort of thing, but don't bother enforcing unless it becomes a major embarrassment, as was the case with the recent problems with pet food which killed quite a few dogs in the USA, or Mattel's recent issues with lead in toys.

If it was up to Pawtucket (or the guys in the HQ of TakaraTomy), this sort of thing wouldn't happen, but as long as Beijing has other things to worry about (like trying to find a way to fool the world into thinking that there's no smog in Beijing for a month or so), KOs are likely to keep happening.

6gyrating_gynoid9
14th January 2008, 10:39 PM
I actually thought KO manufacturers would stay away from the masterpiece line because of its premium make (making it very difficult to duplicate). I was wrong....

STL
14th January 2008, 10:45 PM
I actually thought KO manufacturers would stay away from the masterpiece line because of its premium make (making it very difficult to duplicate). I was wrong....

Scary thought, isn't it.

Nothing is safe.

Hide your children!

benben2142
15th January 2008, 12:35 AM
Beware of g1 K.O metroplex and Gnaw.

Saintly
15th January 2008, 08:05 AM
don't give these KO manufacturers (or sellers for that matter) any ideas about making it hard to differentiate from a real ones.

ooooh... my....

you know what... Hasbro could be encouraging this sort of illegal activity (ie. selling on ebay), so the only way fans and consumers wants the real deal is to buy it from their retailers. Anyone smell something fishy?? what's the legal term for this?? Tiby?

Adzma
15th January 2008, 08:17 AM
Is there any formal way we can reoport this to eBay? It sickens me that some innocent person might buy this thinking it is the real deal.

Saintly
15th January 2008, 08:25 AM
Is there any formal way we can reoport this to eBay? It sickens me that some innocent person might buy this thinking it is the real deal.

already done, adzma :)

there's a link called "report the item" towards the bottom of each item listing -> http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index_4.html?tier0=report_listing.js&item=140198406224

jaydisc
15th January 2008, 08:34 AM
You must remember as well, that a MAJOR junk of ebay's revenue is derive from counterfit and knockoff merchandise. It's just not in their best interest to care.

Tiby
15th January 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think Hasbro would encourage this, although on the other hand they have no hope of enforceing copyright against the KO manufacturers.

What worries me is that these KOs are just going to become more rampant with the mainstream interest in TFs and the ever-increasing (for now) prices of even recent TFs in the secondary market.

Many kids and people who just want a Transformer will say "Well, if it transforms and it is heaps cheaper, why not?"

We have often talked about wanting reissues etc from Hasbro, because they are cheaper than the originials, but I'm sure many people (not real collectors) will see these as just another form of reissue, especially as KO quality increases.

It is a real shame.

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2008, 09:09 AM
The best thing we can do is keep reporting all KO sales we see to eBay staff. Never surrender!

Saintly
15th January 2008, 10:18 AM
Hasbro don't have to encourage KO publicly, simply turning a blind eye and letting it happen is a form of encouragement, is it not?

Them not saying anything IS encouraging these KO manufacturers

jaydisc
15th January 2008, 10:30 AM
The United States government has been pushing China, Russia and many other countries "less respectful" of intellectual property. It's typically on behalf of the Recording Industry and Motion Picture Associations. These two industries alone are two of the greatest USA lobby/special interest groups, and they have next to no success in this pursuit. I doubt the toy lobby would compare, especially after the recent lead paint issues.

6gyrating_gynoid9
15th January 2008, 02:05 PM
I was masterpiece hunting on ebay, looking for a good bargain, when this listing came up.

I actually thought it was one of those "prototype" masterpiece primes displayed on the internet before paint applications went on:eek:

kup
15th January 2008, 02:14 PM
He also has the KO BT Prowl listed
________
Medical Marijuana Patient (http://mmjp.org)

Adzma
15th January 2008, 06:44 PM
If the seller actually states that the item is a knockoff, is it legal (per se) for it to be sold on eBay? Example (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140197768193)

dirge
15th January 2008, 06:58 PM
No, Adzma. Sales of counterfeit items are against eBay policy - the violation of copyright is illegal in many (most?) jurisdictions where eBay operates.

jaydisc
15th January 2008, 07:08 PM
While eBay might happily pledge that the sales of counterfeit items is not permitted, what method is used to interpret counterfeit? Perhaps this version of Optimus was not patented or copyrighted? How can we/ebay/or anyone short of a legal team know for sure?

dirge
15th January 2008, 08:42 PM
Copyright laws in the US (and most developed countries) mean that works such as toy designs are automatically subject to copyright.

jaydisc
16th January 2008, 12:46 PM
Now... IANAL... but....

I still question the illegalities of someone in China making an item (where I don't think copyright protection exists) and sells it. I think it is up to the buyer to respect the local laws of the land as the person in China is not committing an offense.

Tober
16th January 2008, 02:59 PM
The Chinese government isn't going to do anything about the manufacture of counterfeit goods anytime soon. It forms a large chunck of their domestic economy and stops the import of premium goods if people in China think the quality is similar. There was an interesting thread on TFW2005.com about it - basically the Chinese government has admitted they know about the problem but arn't doing anything about it.

The quality of that "BT" Prowl is scarily good too. I have heard that the Metroplex is almost identical and of a higher quality than previous KOs too, so there is a real threat now as well.

dirge
16th January 2008, 07:24 PM
jay, the laws may be on the books, but a law that is enforced and a law that is ignored are two different creatures...

...when was the last time you saw someone stopped by Victoria Police for wearing hot pink pants after noon on a Sunday? I kid you not, it's on the books!

liegeprime
16th January 2008, 07:28 PM
jay, the laws may be on the books, but a law that is enforced and a law that is ignored are two different creatures...

...when was the last time you saw someone stopped by Victoria Police for wearing hot pink pants after noon on a Sunday? I kid you not, it's on the books!

oooh I saw that on TV! topics on weird and utterly useless laws in Australia... another is that you could go to jail for changing a broken lightbulb in your home ( you need to hire an electrician to do so - cant recall which state as well). Forgot which show it was though...

Borgeman
16th January 2008, 07:44 PM
now the question is - is the quality of the mini megs gun that comes with this toy good enough to replace part of my proper one that broke way back when?

George

jaydisc
16th January 2008, 09:03 PM

I question whether its even on the books in China.... as akin to allofmp3.com in Russia.

I know those type of laws too. Performing anything besides the missionary position is illegal in many US states.