PDA

View Full Version : Complex/Complicated Transformations!

11th May 2014, 04:53 AM
So I kind of new to the transformers scene and I'm really looking for worthwhile purchases since my funds are fairly low.

I'm very interested in finding transformers with fairly complex or complicated transformations, and I've tried using search, but nothing really comes up :(

Maybe I'm using the search wrong, but if you guys could name transformers that you'd think fit in this category or can point me in the right direction, I'd be super grateful!

CBratron
11th May 2014, 08:10 AM
It sounds like you want a challenge. I'd suggest Masterpiece Rodimus but worried it'd be rage inducing for you. Just for reference, name a figure to give us an example of what you consider adequate complexity.

M-bot
11th May 2014, 08:25 AM
From the movie-verse, leader class Sentinel Prime was not the easiest. Neither was ROTF Optimus Prime.

BigTransformerTrev
11th May 2014, 09:57 AM
movie-verse, leader class Sentinel Prime was not the easiest.

Yeah, one of the first guys I thought of.

You can also try Masterpiece Megatron, Energon Mirage & ROTF Scalpel - though the last two are more frustrating than complicated I guess

Omega Metro
11th May 2014, 10:04 AM
WFC Bumblebee. I have never been able to transform this thing in the 3 years I have had it.

Trent
11th May 2014, 10:38 AM
Binaltech Grimlock/Wheeljack.

Good luck.

davieanix
11th May 2014, 11:05 AM
I seriously thought I was the only one who found Sentinel Prime hard!

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th May 2014, 11:47 AM
It's going to be a bit tricky if your funds are low, since a lot of the more complex TFs tend to be larger, older, and/or more expensive than not.

MP Megatron is apparently considered pretty tricky, but will be costly to acquire and you may have to jump through a lot of hoops to get him depending on your states gun laws.

DotM Leader Sentinel Prime is another apparently-complex one. You might be able to find a loose one for cheap somewhere.
I gather RotF Leader-class Optimus Primes was pretty complex too.
Most of the on-screen characters from the Bay movies were pretty complex IMO. Leader Brawl is my personal most-difficult-to-transform TF, but I'm not a big movieverse fan.

Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Megatron is often said to be a bit tricky, though he's not usually listed with the likes of the above.

A lot of the Maximals from Beast Wars Neo are apparently pretty challenging.

IIRC the Binaltech/Alternators series was fairly complex by TF standards.

If you can find any of the Robots in Disguise/Car Robots Autobot brothers (Sideburn, X-Brawn, Prowl), they're meant to be pretty tricky. They'll probably be some of your more affordable options. Sky-Bite might be worth a look-see too.

Beast Hunters Deluxe Smokescreen and/or Prowl both have a certain degree of challenge to their transformations.

A few more cost-accessible TFs with transformations that are at least interesting IMO are: RotF Voyager Bludgeon (and it's a great piece too, though it really does need a better head and swords), Hunt for the Decepticons Voyager Highbrow and Deluxe Terradive, and Dark of the Moon Scout Ransack. I'm sure other people can name a few more.

STL
11th May 2014, 12:32 PM

Good luck.

No matter how many times I've transformed this, there is not a single time I've done it without searching online for photos and wasting anything less than half an hour.

To your point overall, I like complex transformations but they need to be intuitive. They need to make sense. Complication for complication's sake is something I do not like and BT Grimlock/Wheeljack are too great examples of that. Satisfying in both modes but frustrating/irritating to transform.

The movie line is your best bet for complexity. A lot of great and fun toys to transform in that line if you get past the aesthetic.

Outside of that, Alternity, BT/Alternator lines, Masterpiece's all hold up quite well.

Across most of the lines there are some good ones.

In particular some of my favourites:

- WFC Optimus Prime
- FP Assaulter / Broadside
- TFM Ironhide v1
- ROTF Leader Class Prime
- WFC Bumblebee/Cliffjumper
- Transformers Prime First Edition Bulkhead
- Beast Wars Neo (?) Big Convoy
- Alternity Bumblebee/Cliffjumper
- BT/Alternators Jazz

These guys tend to be intuitive once you figure out the logical flow or a certain number of clicks which allows alignment.

GoktimusPrime
11th May 2014, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I think the problem with toys like BT Grimlock & Wheeljack is that they suffer from having rather counter-intuitive transformations. Most other Binaltechs, Alternities and Masterpieces are quite complex, but also intuitive and fun. :)

As Ode to a Grasshopper mentioned, a lot of the Beast Wars Neo figures (that aren't redecos of pre-existing moulds) can be rather challenging too. Big Convoy is the most complex of that lot, but I personally find his transformation to be more frustrating than fun (he's basically a massive shellformer; but if you like that sort of thing, try Darth Vader/Death Star... phwoar! (he has a cloth cape which becomes concealed in Death Star mode!) :eek:). :( Mach Kick, Long Rack, Break and Dead End are also pretty tricky to transform (relative to their size). The Car Robot (Robots In Disguise) Autobots are also quite fun, and in fact, those toys were the inspiration for Binaltech. ;)

As others have mentioned, if you really want a serious challenge then look no further than Masterpiece Megatron! However there are legal requirements and restrictions in owning him (and all other Transformers whose alt modes are based on real life guns, unless they're tiny like Smallest Megatron or RtS Legends Megatron); as I understand it, Victorian law is similar to NSW in that you must own a permit and comply with safe storage requirements. I'm sure other Victorians here can shed more light on this. :) But if you satisfy the legal requirements, and if you can find MP Megatron for a good price, then I highly recommend it if super challenging transformations is your thing. :D

Zommael
12th May 2014, 01:24 PM
For my money, the trouble is that those Transformers with excessively complex transformations often aren't actually the best figures. However, there are some standouts. ROTF Prime and his combiner partner Jetfire are both standouts, as are the TF Prime First Edition Voyagers, Optimus Prime and Bulkhead. The Alternity line is pretty tricky, but the figures are so-so, and the same is true for Binaltech/Alternators. Unfortunately, what you'll often find yourself doing with these figures is trying to line up different parts and panels just so rather than actually trying to figure out the transformation. If you're just after a complex transformation then any of the figures people have pointed out in this thread will suit you, but if you want a good figure that has a complex transformation my recommendation is definitely ROTF Prime (and Jetfire, if you want to add a few more steps on top).

GoktimusPrime
12th May 2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Age of Extinction 1st Ed. Leader Optimus Prime is an example of a "panel-former" - i.e. tricky because you have to line up parts and panels, but the transformation itself is otherwise inherently simplistic. :rolleyes: Age of Extinction is actually a fairly good balance of not-too-hard-not-too-simple; IMHO one of the best non-Classicsverse Voyagers to come along in a long time.

Deonasis
12th May 2014, 02:52 PM
I enjoy Cybertron Soundwave but it is frustrating until you know the angles to transform the legs to jet.

RotF Mixmaster has funky arms but i have never spent enough time to remember the transformation if i play with it again a year later.

I agree on WfC Optimus Prime. It is overly complex for a deluxe figure but years later i find it a satisfying trial and error routine that gives enough clues to not reach for instructional help.

WfC Bumblebee is also challenging but imo not as satisfying as WfC Optimus Prime.

drifand
12th May 2014, 03:33 PM
RID Convoy and combine with Ultra Magnus. Have fun with this one.

Masterpiece Megatron was also a bit of a challenge.

Gouki
12th May 2014, 05:46 PM
Binaltech Grimlock is a great toy for making you want to throw things at the wall *and* proving that deep down you hate yourself and feel you deserve bad things to happen to you. It's overly complex to the point where it's not fun or satisfying.

And the sword it teeny tiny.

DELTAprime
12th May 2014, 07:42 PM
Two hardest transformations I've done are MP-05 Megatron and MP-09 Rodimus. It should be noted that both are fragile and break easily.

UltraMarginal
12th May 2014, 11:18 PM
I must be othe only person in the world who likes Binaltech Wheeljack?

One of teh most reidiculously complex transformers I've ever fiddled with would have to be ROTF Voyager Mixmaster.

The Deluxe terradive is a good satisfying complex mold with two good modes, as mentinoed above.

It would help our recommendations if you further defined what you were looking for in complex. do you mean complex "so many steps the instructions should be in two volumes" or do you mean complex "busy but intuitive" or something in between.

It's certainly an interesting thread, seeing how different peoples opinions of certain figures differ.

Trent
13th May 2014, 11:52 AM

One of teh most reidiculously complex transformers I've ever fiddled with would have to be ROTF Voyager Mixmaster.

The Deluxe terradive is a good satisfying complex mold with two good modes, as mentinoed above.

It would help our recommendations if you further defined what you were looking for in complex. do you mean complex "so many steps the instructions should be in two volumes" or do you mean complex "busy but intuitive" or something in between.

It's certainly an interesting thread, seeing how different peoples opinions of certain figures differ.

Don't get me wrong, I love BT Grimlock. He looks great in both modes and is an excellent example of what Transformers can be. But anyone that says that the transformation is easy, or even intuitive, is lying.

drifand
13th May 2014, 11:57 AM
Love the paint job on Binaltech Wheeljack. Transformation was hard.

kurdt_the_goat
13th May 2014, 12:46 PM
If you don't limit yourself to Transformers, i'd recommend several Macross toys for complex transformations. Particularly the recent YF/VF-19, VF-17 and VF-4G from Yamato/Arcadia, though they're not exactly cheap!

UltraMarginal
13th May 2014, 12:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love BT Grimlock. He looks great in both modes and is an excellent example of what Transformers can be. But anyone that says that the transformation is easy, or even intuitive, is lying.

I don't know about intuitive but I distinctly recall enjoying it. I'm going to have to get that guy out and revisit him.

GoktimusPrime
13th May 2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I do appreciate how they tried to bulk up the look of the robot mode for BT Grimlock (although it looks weird on Wheeljack -- I guess he's on 'roids :p)... but that transformation... gah!

SuspectimusPrime
15th May 2014, 12:18 AM
I'm not a big fan of Movie toys, but Human Alliance Jazz is superb - challenging, intuitive/fun, quality toy, rolls like a dream even with next to zero underside clearance - an engineering marvel!

BigTransformerTrev
15th May 2014, 08:09 AM

No matter how many times I've transformed this, there is not a single time I've done it without searching online for photos and wasting anything less than half an hour.

To your point overall, I like complex transformations but they need to be intuitive. They need to make sense. Complication for complication's sake is something I do not like and BT Grimlock/Wheeljack are too great examples of that. Satisfying in both modes but frustrating/irritating to transform.

Yeah, I think the problem with toys like BT Grimlock & Wheeljack is that they suffer from having rather counter-intuitive transformations.

Binaltech Grimlock is a great toy for making you want to throw things at the wall *and* proving that deep down you hate yourself and feel you deserve bad things to happen to you. It's overly complex to the point where it's not fun or satisfying.

Love the paint job on Binaltech Wheeljack. Transformation was hard.

Yeah, I do appreciate how they tried to bulk up the look of the robot mode for BT Grimlock (although it looks weird on Wheeljack -- I guess he's on 'roids :p)... but that transformation... gah!

Wow :eek: I have both Grimlock and Wheeljack and didn't encounter a single problem with them. And I'm the guy who gave up on Energon Mirage and ROTF Scalpel. I'm rather surprised with this outpouring of frustration over these two figures. Maybe my brain is counter-inutitive so that I have troubles with transformations that others find easy and vice-versa. :confused::rolleyes:

I'm with you UM, didn't have any issues at all! :cool:

Magnus
15th May 2014, 10:21 PM
To OP: do you have a budget/is there a specific amount you're willing to spend? A budget might help us recommend a figure.

GoktimusPrime
16th May 2014, 12:17 AM
I'd like to add Age of Extinction (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=18517) to this list... the toy itself isn't necessarily complex to transform, but damn those side panels are nauseatingly tricky! :eek:

Sinnertwin
16th May 2014, 12:56 AM
I had a look at my friends toy & i wouldn't consider Crosshairs a difficult transformation. A bit fiddly, yes, but he's wearing his car mode on his back. All he has to do is put his arms by his sides & fall forwards... and tuck his cape in of course :p ;)

BigTransformerTrev
16th May 2014, 07:33 AM
I had a look at my friends toy & i wouldn't consider Crosshairs a difficult transformation. A bit fiddly, yes, but he's wearing his car mode on his back. All he has to do is put his arms by his sides & fall forwards... and tuck his cape in of course :p ;)

Yeah I actually found him disappointingly easy for a deluxe. Maybe you got a bad one Gok

GoktimusPrime
16th May 2014, 08:05 PM
Maybe you got a bad one Gok
I think I did, because after I refunded my first one, the second one was a lot easier to transform (i.e. it was doable! - the first one was just impossible). But even on my second and 'easier' Crosshairs, I gotta fiddle and jiggle the tabs around a bit to make them lock in (and I also have to do the same to unlock them when transforming back to robot mode too). It's not so much complex or complicated but just fiddly because the tabs seem to have such a low tolerance for imprecision; kinda like AoE First Edition Leader Class Optimus Prime, only somehow even more irritating (possibly because it's trickier for adult thumbs/fingers to manipulate the smaller parts). So I'll say that Crosshairs is one of the fiddlier toys out there, prefaced with the disclaimer that it's subject to QC. :o

klystron
17th May 2014, 12:55 AM
There's a difference between fiddley and complex/complicated.
But I'm not going to get into that here... its too complex and complicated.

Cheaper complex puzzleformers:
WFC Optimus Prime
WFC Bumblebee (think this one has already got a few votes)
DOTM Voyager Optimus
BW Ramhorn (love this, but always seem to stuff it up)

More expensive:
Alternators Wheeljack (my record for transforming this was 40mins! such a pain I sold it).

Mythirax
20th May 2014, 08:32 PM
Cheaper complex puzzleformers:
WFC Optimus Prime
WFC Bumblebee (think this one has already got a few votes)

Damn for me personally, Optimus I found incredibly fun, and pretty easy to. At least in my opinion. I just hate pushing down the front of the cab at the end of the transformation to alt mode. As you feel like you're scratching paint. I needed instructions for him though.

As for Bee, I didn't need instructions for him. I found him very easy, just a little fragile.

Leader Sentinel Prime though, that has to be one of the worst transformers I've transformed. More so, every time I try him. He just gets more and more stress marks. And now some of the plastic is slightly splitting in his feet. I also had to remove his electronics to make certain parts close in that section. So he was just more frustrating to me.