PDA

View Full Version : TFCC Transmutate is online now.

UltraMarginal
24th May 2014, 09:34 AM
I just recieved an email from Funpub to say that transmutate is in the club store (http://www.transformersclub.com/transmutate14pg2.cfm), limit 2 per member.

I don't know how popular this particular figure is going to be. It's interesting that they've done a similar thing to last year where there is a place in the foam for the free figure with the figure that costs money. that makes Transmutate a little more interesting.

griffin
24th May 2014, 09:43 AM
US$59 plus shipping... ouch.
I might get two just to offset the pain of shipping.

Looks like they got their toy shipment from Hasbro, as they've mentioned Rampage is shipping next week, along with the first of the Subscription figures. (and we are likely to get some more images of in-hand BotCon toys too)

griffin
24th May 2014, 09:52 AM
With them noting that it is limited to just 2 per person, it will certainly have people thinking that they are really limited and might buy a pair just to scalp off when they sell out. (creating extra demand by making consumers think that they will run out fast)

Two cost me US$58.25 shipping (the cheapest option), totalling US$176.25 (about AU$195).
The other shipping option was about US$78... which would have worked out to about AU$110 each!

If anyone in Brisbane wants my second one, it will be AU$95 pickup.

Verno
24th May 2014, 10:06 AM
You'd think having to pay for an actual membership to the TFCC would subsidise the cost of the figures. Or are these the subsidised prices?

So cheap to be a fan these days.

Sky Shadow
24th May 2014, 10:10 AM
I don't know how popular this particular figure is going to be. It's interesting that they've done a similar thing to last year where there is a place in the foam for the free figure with the figure that costs money.

(I'm guessing you mean two years ago - I don't think was an option last year). This is arguably one of the cooler exclusives they've done. Considering the popularity of Dawn of Future's Past, I don't think it will shelfwarm in the way that - say - Airazor and Astrotrain did.

CHILENO20
24th May 2014, 10:20 AM
Just did a quick check on how much it would be for just one, about $120.00AUD!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I am tempted to get it as it looks very cool but at the same time I'm quite hesitant. What to do!?

Sky Shadow
24th May 2014, 10:39 AM
Just did a quick check on how much it would be for just one, about $120.00AUD!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I am tempted to get it as it looks very cool but at the same time I'm quite hesitant. What to do!?

This is one of those cases where it might well end up being cheaper on the secondary market. Surely if BBTS gets them in they'll be much cheaper as part of a Pile Of Loot than from the postage Nazis at the Collectors Club.

Omega Metro
24th May 2014, 11:03 AM
This is one of those cases where it might well end up being cheaper on the secondary market. Surely if BBTS gets them in they'll be much cheaper as part of a Pile Of Loot than from the postage Nazis at the Collectors Club.

I've done this with the latest FSS 2.0 through BBTS. But it's hard to tell with the Transmutate as she seems to be a popular figure through what I can tell.:confused:
I bit the bullet on her and ordered 2 through the club, so if someone in Perth wants the 2nd (pending final cost)?

griffin
24th May 2014, 12:41 PM
If they restrict it to just 2 per membership, would BBTS even get in many? And if they do get a handful, aren't they likely to charge close to US$100 for it like they did for the popular Subscription figures? (They are likely to have a number of their staff as members to secure membership exclusives.... but not a lot.)

You'd think having to pay for an actual membership to the TFCC would subsidise the cost of the figures. Or are these the subsidised prices?

These "members exclusives" only have one price... you have to pay for membership before you can even buy one.... so if anyone wants one who isn't a member, chase up someone who is, to help you out (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7098).

Sky Shadow
24th May 2014, 01:51 PM
If they restrict it to just 2 per membership, would BBTS even get in many? And if they do get a handful, aren't they likely to charge close to US$100 for it like they did for the popular Subscription figures? (They are likely to have a number of their staff as members to secure membership exclusives.... but not a lot.)

As you've said, to get two toys already cost you the original membership plus US$176.25 ($88 US each). And to get just one with TFCC shipping is already over $100, plus membership. Currently at BBTS (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=265&company=0&category=1519), Depthcharge is $60, Over-Run is $75, and all the other individual exclusives are between $32.99 and $99. If someone with a Pile Of Loot isn't resolved to get Transmutate right now, whatever the cost, there's a good chance that BigBadToyStore will end up being a better international option.

Verno
24th May 2014, 02:31 PM
These "members exclusives" only have one price... you have to pay for membership before you can even buy one.... so if anyone wants one who isn't a member, chase up someone who is, to help you out (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7098).

Haha, oh I don't want one. I think they're a travesty :p I just feel sorry for those that do want them.

CBratron
24th May 2014, 02:52 PM
While I like the TFP FE Arcee mold, I don't need this.
What the hell is it meant to be?

MayzaPrime
26th May 2014, 05:18 PM
I ordered mine on Saturday :D

Hursticon
26th May 2014, 05:35 PM
While I like the TFP FE Arcee mold, I don't need this.
What the hell is it meant to be?

An incredibly ambitious (For the time) type of character & story from Beast Wars named Transmutate (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transmutate) ;); except not that character at all, because FunPub fan-fiction. :rolleyes:

Omega Metro
26th May 2014, 05:56 PM
I've always felt sorry for Transmutate. I'm glad it/she has 'matured' into sexy fembot. :D

reillyd
26th May 2014, 08:12 PM
Just shy of $60 for shipping, whereas a California address is only $14.80 :(

Even with a service charge, its cheaper for me to have it redirected that use FedEx. They don't even offer USPS shipping, which would be so much cheaper.
#ihatefunpub

UltraMarginal
26th May 2014, 10:13 PM
(I'm guessing you mean two years ago - I don't think was an option last year). This is arguably one of the cooler exclusives they've done. Considering the popularity of Dawn of Future's Past, I don't think it will shelfwarm in the way that - say - Airazor and Astrotrain did.

Was last year runabout and runamuck or was that the year before?:confused:
eh, you get what i mean so :cool:

griffin
26th May 2014, 10:41 PM
Runamuck and Over-Run was in 2012.
Last year didn't have a "Store exclusive" because they had the Subscription series (which was essentially 6 exclusives instead of one for the year).
This year they have 6 Subscription toys PLUS a store exclusive.

With the growing amount of BotCon toys each year (and GIJoe toys), FunPub have certainly grown into a significant source of toys.

griffin
27th May 2014, 02:21 AM
Just crunching the numbers to see if my suspicion was true or not...

2005 - 42 - (13 Transformers - 12 Convention, 1 membership, - store excl) (29 GIJoe - 28 Convention, 1 membership)
2006 - 43 - (16 Transformers - 12 convention, 1 membership, 3 store excl) (27 GIJoe - 22 Convention, 1 membership, 4 store excl)
2007 - 43 - (12 Transformers - 11 convention, 1 membership, - store excl) (31 GIJoe - 26 Convention, 1 membership, 4 store excl)
2008 - 50 - (20 Transformers - 12 convention, 1 membership, 7 store excl) (30 GIJoe - 25 Convention, 1 membership, 4 store excl)
2009 - 48 - (15 Transformers - 14 convention, 1 membership, - store excl) (33 GIJoe - 29 Convention, 1 membership, 3 store excl)
2010 - 48 - (18 Transformers - 15 convention, 1 membership, 2 store excl) (30 GIJoe - 25 Convention, 1 membership, 4 store excl)
2011 - 43 - (17 Transformers - 14 convention, 1 membership, 2 store excl) (26 GIJoe - 24 Convention, 1 membership, 1 store excl)
2012 - 43 - (18 Transformers - 15 convention, 1 membership, 2 store excl) (25 GIJoe - 24 Convention, 1 membership)
2013 - 61 - (22 Transformers - 15 convention, 1 membership, 6 subscription) (39 GIJoe - 25 Convention, 1 membership, 13 subscription)
2014 - 63? - (24? Transformers - 15? convention, 1 membership, 1 store excl, 7 subscription) (39 GIJoe - 25 Convention, 1 membership, 13 subscription)

(Three Minicons I counted as 1, and Kreon packs I've just counted as 1)

Not the gradual increase I was thinking it was. 2005 was a big increase for them for taking on the TFs license, and then in 2013 was another big surge with the Subscription series boosting their non-convention exclusive numbers.

UltraMarginal
27th May 2014, 10:12 AM
I don't mind it, I'm not sure I love it, I think I'll see if they have any available at the Club Store at Botcon. maybe after I see it in person I'll have a more congealed opinion on this one.

griffin
27th May 2014, 05:50 PM
I don't mind it, I'm not sure I love it, I think I'll see if they have any available at the Club Store at Botcon. maybe after I see it in person I'll have a more congealed opinion on this one.

I was tossing up risking it as well, leaving it for BotCon to save all that shipping expense, but since the last few have sold out quite fast, I didn't want to risk missing out and paying a dealer about $100 for it. (which isn't far off what I paid anyway :rolleyes: ).

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th May 2014, 05:58 PM
Just crunching the numbers to see if my suspicion was true or not...

Wow, that would have to be equal (or close)to the amount of local character releases Hasbro do for us here surely. Excluding GI joe.

But damn, no wonder they don't bother with interviews or cool stuff. Too busy busting out toys. They might as well just become a TF toy shop!

griffin
27th May 2014, 08:45 PM
While I was going through various GIJoe sites for FunPubs numbers (there isn't a site like TFWiki that has all of FunPub's exclusives listed), I had a bit of a change of heart towards them.
Since the GIJoe line has had periods of suspension (including this year), the collector club producing 40-odd GIJoe toys would be like the best thing for committed GIJoe fans... a bit like Matty Collector is for committed MOTU fans at the moment.
So I was thinking, if it weren't for the massive amount of Retail product from Hasbro and TakaraTomy lately, wouldn't we be more embracing of FunPub's (overpriced and sometimes unreliable) products?

After the 3H era of BotCon, the number of exclusive TFs toys may seem waaay over the top, but to FunPub, it's their standard business model (they've been doing GIJoe conventions successfully for almost 20 years)... and even though it might be several years before the whole Movie craze dies off, what if we had another post-Gen2 period from Hasbro & TakaraTomy. The 3rd party groups might flourish, but what if Hasbro or Paramount had decided to flex their muscles on stopping mass-produced replica character toys (3rd party) from biting into their merchandise sales, as I'm sure Disney, DC and Marvel would, if a business started producing or selling toys in America that looked like Superman, Mickey Mouse, Batman or Wolverine (3rd party TFs are designed to look like TFs characters that are usually in something currently being licensed by several businesses, so they have a proprietary interest in the money those unlicensed businesses are making off their investment).
If that ever happened, the demand for officially released figures from the only remaining source would then be in greater demand.

I think while we have so much choice with Transformers product (official and 3rd party), we are more critical of the more expensive or problematic options... but I think that attitude would change if FunPub were the only source of figures aimed at the collectors.
(that might not happen in this decade, but it's worth thinking about how much more accepting we MIGHT be for TFs product if we were more desperate for it, like GIJoe fans probably are now... or even MOTU fans)

Krayt
4th June 2014, 11:18 AM
How long was it between peopls orders and shipping?

I was late to buy, but it's been 4 business days and mine says still not shipped in my accont.

Sky Shadow
4th June 2014, 05:06 PM
I think while we have so much choice with Transformers product (official and 3rd party), we are more critical of the more expensive or problematic options... but I think that attitude would change if FunPub were the only source of figures aimed at the collectors.

I only just read this, but it's a really good point. If there were no other Transformers released this year other than the FunPub exclusives, we would look at them differently. We'd still complain about them (as we do with Mattel about the MOTU Classic line) but at least they would be offering a fix we can't get elsewhere.

MayzaPrime
9th June 2014, 06:37 PM
How long was it between peopls orders and shipping?

I was late to buy, but it's been 4 business days and mine says still not shipped in my accont.

It was about 2 weeks for me.