PDA

View Full Version : Clear coats for metallic paint

AJ_Prime
25th May 2014, 08:32 PM
Can anyone recommend the best product to use for applying a clear coat to metallic paint without dulling it?

I have read about a certain brand of floor polish that only appears to be available in the US, however I was wondering what customisers on this forum use?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

twincobra
26th May 2014, 06:09 PM
Have you tried Tamiya clear coat in the jar? Apparently it doesn't leave a dull like the can does.

CBratron
26th May 2014, 06:35 PM
The hydrocarbon propellant in spray cans is an excellent solvent and is absorbed by the paint you're coating, thus ruining the finish. Airbrush or brush application should be fine.

In Australia we have very similar products to Future Floor Polish. Pledge One Go, which I get from Bunnings, is one of them.

SMHFConvoy
26th May 2014, 07:14 PM
In Australia we have very similar products to Future Floor Polish. Pledge One Go, which I get from Bunnings, is one of them.

Ah... See I always wondered what I could use instead of Future. Thanks :-)

AJ_Prime
26th May 2014, 09:05 PM
The hydrocarbon propellant in spray cans is an excellent solvent and is absorbed by the paint you're coating, thus ruining the finish. Airbrush or brush application should be fine.

That's fantastic, thank very much. Really appreciate it. I was hoping there was an Australian equivalent.

M-bot
27th May 2014, 05:39 PM

I'll give the Pledge product a try and post results.

CBratron
27th May 2014, 05:49 PM
Don't even try to thin it with water. Pledge is immiscible (doesn't mix) with water and if you do, will result in a splotchy finish.

And as always, test it first. You try it on a junker but a plastic bottle or stripped out plastic from toy packaging is fine.

kup
28th May 2014, 11:58 AM

In the past I have been reluctant of clear coats for that reason. I have tried to spray clear to painted plastic that had been left for weeks to dry only to see the coat of paint be dissolved by clear paint from the same company (Tamiya). From then on I am not sure if it's possible to have even clear coats without a spraying device or having to buy an air brush.

SMHFConvoy
28th May 2014, 02:36 PM
If you do get an airbrush don't use pledge or future in it. I have heard of it ruining airbrushes.

BTW Tamiya does a clear varnish that's very good and it works on GW paints too.

Dinkydarth
29th May 2014, 03:35 PM
Pledge is not exactly the same as future. I've tried it and wasn't happy with results. The only way to get future is from overseas. I've used it through my airbrush with no issues. Clean up with Windex. Tamiya acrylic clear through an airbrush is still safest and best imo. Spray cans are usually lacquer based, so can eat into paint.

AJ_Prime
29th May 2014, 10:07 PM
So does Tamiya acrylic clear dull metallic paints or is it fine?

I'm also wondering if it would work on metallic enamels?

Dinkydarth
30th May 2014, 01:39 PM
I've used taimya acrylic clear on Metallics, and its fine. It does change the look of it though but I wouldnt say it dulls it. Problem however is it doesn't stick very well and won't resist handling very well. Should have no issues with enamel metallics.