PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Wars Episodes 1, 2 and 3 worth watching?

To Punish & Enslave
13th August 2008, 09:54 PM
Well I hope not to offend any die hard star war fans but...... I am old school in a lot of ways. To me you can’t go past episodes 4, 5 and 6. I have tried over the years to watch episodes 1-3 but just couldn’t get into it.

Is it worth the while hiring episodes 1-3 and watching them on a quite sat night to fully appreciate them? I’m in my early 30's and was wondering if anyone in my age bracket feels the same way. :rolleyes:

Bartrim
13th August 2008, 10:01 PM
They definitely lack the magic of 4,5 and 6 but they certainly help ease my curiosity for like so many i was always interested by Leia's reference to "The Clone Wars".

TheDirtyDigger
13th August 2008, 10:05 PM
I didn't really appreciate 1 so much until I saw 2.
I really loved 2 and 3. I'm the same age as you Punish and I would say definitely do the quiet Sat night thing.

dirge
13th August 2008, 10:07 PM
1 not so much (the podrace scene messes with the flow) but I loved 2 & 3. That's my 2c.

Robzy
13th August 2008, 10:11 PM
I consider myself a die-hard fan... but I actually cringe when I watch them! Bartrim is right - there's no "magic" in these films.

Episode 3 is definately the best out of all of them... but I'd prefer to watch Return of the Jedi instead! (Which is saying something!)

To Punish & Enslave
13th August 2008, 10:16 PM
Ya can’t go past the x wing fighters and Speeder bikes etc in 4, 5 and 6 . I would love to get hold of some of those authentic 80’s toys.

Golden Phoenix
13th August 2008, 10:17 PM
I ain't in your age bracket, but it depends how you want to see it. EpI-III change the way you look at the Original Trilogy. It turns it from a more fantasy story into a tragedy, especially when it comes to Darth Vader.

kup
13th August 2008, 10:35 PM
The personality and feel of the Star Wars saga radically changes for me when it comes to Episodes 1-3.

As mentioned before, they were a disappointment for me.

You may or may not feel the same way but it is certainly worth sitting down one weekend and watching them all. That way you can make up your own mind.

GoktimusPrime
13th August 2008, 10:40 PM
Hell yes!! Episodes 1, 2 and 3 complete the Saga and you can appreciate the original trilogy more. The fact is that the Star Wars saga is not really the story of Luke Skywalker - it is more accurate the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. Even the original trilogy climaxes with the return of Anakin Skywalker (when he returned to the light and saved Luke from the Emperor). The prequels establishes the history of Anakin Skywalker - how he became a powerful Jedi and his fall to the Dark Side as Darth Vader. Episode III is my favourite of all the Star Wars movies. (^_^)

Anyway, here are some movie trailers to give you an idea of what to expect from these movies...
Episode I: The Phantom Menace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQ5cuEQHYI)
Episode II: Attack of the Clones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQqGs6PwMA)
Episode "2.5": The Clone Wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA14TnyCkgE) (check your local cinema for session times)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEh4EDpi1w&feature=related)

Pulse
14th August 2008, 12:34 AM
You haven't already seen 'em?! :D

If I were you, Yeah I'd watch them.

IMO, Ep. 3 definitely is the best one. :)

i_amtrunks
14th August 2008, 09:26 AM
Liam Neeson was the saving grace for Episode 1, while episodes 2 and 3 were good, but terrible acting from Hayden Christiansen and poor (in comparison to anything else she has been in) Natalie Portman do tend to stick in the memory far longer than any scene from either of the actual movies.

The next to last scene of #3 will always be remembered by me as one of the cheesiest voice work ever. :D

TheDirtyDigger
14th August 2008, 09:38 AM
A funny thing IMO now, if you were watching the entire saga in order, would be the difference in the fight scene between Obi Wan and Anakin from Ep3 to the fight scene between 'Old Ben' and Darth.
It'd be like 'wow those guys really slowed down in their old age' sorta thing. You know what I mean! It's just not as funny to explain it all.:p

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2008, 11:20 AM
but terrible acting from Hayden Christiansen and poor (in comparison to anything else she has been in) Natalie Portman
The problem with Christiansen's acting is a lack of versatility. He doesn't deliver a terribly good performance when he's supposed to be romantic. Having said that, I think Christiansen excels in other aspects as Anakin Skywalker. He performed well as a dashing hero ("If you'll excuse me!" :D) and I thought he performed fantastically whenever Anakin gave into his anger. Although the love scenes between Anakin and Padmé often receive criticism from fans, I think the scene where Anakin slaughtered the Tuskens was really well delivered. And of course, his entire "coming of rage" in Episode III was great. As an actor, Christiansen is pretty ordinary when it comes to romance, but he's good when it comes to being angry. :) Having said that, I thought Christiansen's emotional acting was much improved in Jumper.

I thought Portman was pretty good in most aspects, particularly Eps II and III... but I found that she struggled playing royalty... she just couldn't really do the whole British accent thing. But I recently saw V For Vendetta and I thought her English accent there was a tremendous improvement over her Queen Amidala voice from Episode I. :) Of course, she was speaking in a more kind of working class English accent as opposed to a regal accent... maybe she just can't do "regal." Having said that, Carrie Fisher's 'regal British' accent was pretty ordinary too -- her performance as Leia was a lot better when she dropped the whole "British Princess" thing and used her American accent. Like mother like daughter eh? ;)

Oh yeah, IMO Episode I had the best light sabre fight choreography in all the Star Wars movies. Darth Maul ftw! :D

A funny thing IMO now, if you were watching the entire saga in order, would be the difference in the fight scene between Obi Wan and Anakin from Ep3 to the fight scene between 'Old Ben' and Darth.
It'd be like 'wow those guys really slowed down in their old age' sorta thing. You know what I mean! It's just not as funny to explain it all.
Well that's why Ben said to Luke, "I'm getting too old for this."
And when Episode I came out, Lucas explained that this would be the first time that we'd see the Jedi in their prime.

In the original trilogy we only ever saw old men, a half-machine and a boy who was trained by old men as Jedi/Sith. i.e.: we never see a Jedi or Sith in their prime. And that is something that we see in the prequels that I really enjoyed. :)

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~memcinto/jedi/femjedi%20pix/geonosis_zoomin.gif

kup
14th August 2008, 12:47 PM
I disagree a lot in much of what you said there (particularly about Christiansen's acting) but we are already set in our ways so its best to leave it be :)

griffin
14th August 2008, 02:58 PM
They just played the first 3 on Channel 10 last weekend (in brisbane at least), and the second 3 are on this weekend (for the 2.5 release in theatres of course).
Pity you didn't just try to watch them on TV for free, and not have to worry about wasting rental fees.

The_Damned
14th August 2008, 03:04 PM
no they arnt worth watching.

jaydisc
14th August 2008, 03:56 PM
The only enjoyment I find in watching these episodes is to see the lineage of both the rebel and empire vehicles.

Tober
14th August 2008, 04:43 PM
They lack the feel of the original trilogy because the designs of the vehicles are inspired more thon inspiring. The only time I felt l was looking at something new was during the pod race scene. Chiang, Zu and Church are great concept designers but they can't hold a candle to McQuarrie. Even the design of the characters and the storylines are banal by comparison.

Thy also have the whole 'political' thing going on which tends to slow the stories down too.

They are worth watching but don't get your hopes up.

kup
14th August 2008, 05:00 PM
They lack the feel of the original trilogy because the designs of the vehicles are inspired more thon inspiring. The only time I felt l was looking at something new was during the pod race scene. Chiang, Zu and Church are great concept designers but they can't hold a candle to McQuarrie. Even the design of the characters and the storylines are banal by comparison.

Thy also have the whole 'political' thing going on which tends to slow the stories down too.

They are worth watching but don't get your hopes up.

My issue was that much of the trilogy felt more like watching a kid's cartoon than Star Wars and that has nothing to do with nostalgia or me being an adult now. There were way too many snappy one liners and the characters were very annoying due to bad dialog and very bad acting. The fact that the CGI stuff stood so much out from the live action didn't help with the atmosphere either, often it felt as if I was watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit as the CGI stood out as cartoon characters.

Story progression was also badly handled in my opinion, Anakin turned to the dark side in the silliest manner possible with his transition into Darth Vader being the corniest and most uninspired event possible. The silly melodrama at the end of episode III made me cringe too.

What turned me away from the fantasy of Star Wars can be summarized in one word:

Medichlorians.

After watching the new Trilogy, I almost died from a 'broken heart'.

roller
14th August 2008, 08:07 PM
No need to listen to those people who say "Lucas raped my childhood with the prequel films"

I admit Episode 1 was horrendous, too much money and no planning

Episode 2-watch it if you have nothing else to do that day

Episode 3- Super Heaps Good X 10!!!!! Action Action Action. Good one liners and they even resurrected Peter Cushing for one of the end scenes. Ep 3 good

STL
14th August 2008, 09:43 PM
I personally don't care very much for SW, never was big for me and its heyday passed when I was 9 or 10 in the mid 90s. I only watched the original 3 late last year when a mate of mine forced me to. I liked them but they don't have that childhood magic.

Of interest though, what did the Sith Infiltrator evolve into?

jaydisc
14th August 2008, 09:46 PM

Looks a bit Tie Fighter to me.... Vader Tie Fighter specifically:

http://spaceship.brainiac.com/Hasbro/Tit-Sith-Infilt.jpg

http://www.revell.de/starwars/reqRessources/img/produkte/abb_tie-fighter.jpg

Saintly
14th August 2008, 09:59 PM
1 was a let down except for the droid army
2 was the better of the 3 (the clone army and the jedi/separatist scene)
3 was much better than 2 (angry anakin)

STL
14th August 2008, 10:13 PM

http://spaceship.brainiac.com/Hasbro/Tit-Sith-Infilt.jpg

http://www.revell.de/starwars/reqRessources/img/produkte/abb_tie-fighter.jpg

That looks more like devolving than evolving... :eek:

loophole
14th August 2008, 10:18 PM
you have to remember about the budget cuts they had to make so the emperor could afford his Death Star do you know how much those things COST!!!

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2008, 10:22 PM
Hey kup - could you edit your post and remove the quote of my last post because you're undoing my spoiler tagging by doing that.

I think regardless of our varying opinions about the prequel trilogy, TP&E ought to sit down and watch them himself, and then form his own opinion about it.
TP&E: as you can see, some of us love it whilst others hate it. So really, watch it and decide for yourself as to what you think about it. :)

The Scimitar Sith Infiltrator is a heavily modified Sienar Designs Systems advanced star courier prototype - rumoured to have been designed by Raith Sienar himself for a mysterious client (probably Darth Sidious), although Sienar denies this. Its modifications are based on T-class long-range personal cruisers traditionally used by the Sith. Imperial TIE fighters are manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems. But that's not the reason why TIE fighters resemble the Scimitar.

TIE fighters also bear a close resemblance to the Jedi's Eta-2 Actis-class light interceptor. Although these Jedi starfighters were manufactured by Kuat Systems Engineering, all their Jedi starfighter series designs were sold to Sienar a few years after the rise of the Galactic Empire, and elements of the Eta-2 Actis design were used in the creation of the TIE Fighter.

http://www.theempire.com.au/images/2005-23-12/Star%20Wars%20Jedi%20Starfighter%20Model%20Kit.jpg

Also note that the ARC-170 clone starfighter is a direct ancestor of the T-65 X-Wing starfighter.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/5/5b/Arc170_pair.jpg/180px-Arc170_pair.jpghttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/1/17/Xw1.jpg/250px-Xw1.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/00/Odd_Ball.jpg/250px-Odd_Ball.jpg
"Lock S-Foils in attack position." - Oddball

you have to remember about the budget cuts they had to make so the emperor could afford his Death Star do you know how much those things COST!!!
"And what the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!" :D

To Punish & Enslave
14th August 2008, 10:28 PM
Had 1 as a kid. Want 1 as a Adult:cool:

kup
14th August 2008, 10:57 PM
Hey kup - could you edit your post and remove the quote of my last post because you're undoing my spoiler tagging by doing that.

Done! Sorry, I didn't realize the quote had made the color hidden text visible.

Lord_Zed
15th August 2008, 12:18 AM
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! not epsidoes 1,2 and 3.

But seriously.....

I'm somewhere between Goktimus and Kup. In my opinion the new movies are exciting and totaly watchable fun space opera in an awesomely colour co-ordinated universe. On the downside the acting is insipid and the dialogue laughable and yes as said before the charm factor is not there anymore.

EP 3 is the best of the new uns because it's all action, and action is what these new movies do best.

Robzy
15th August 2008, 02:19 AM
they even resurrected Peter Cushing for one of the end scenes. "Resurrected" being the appropriate word... seeing as how he died 11 years before the film was released;)

Paulbot
15th August 2008, 10:22 PM
I personally liked episode 2 the best of the three films, I love the car chase (that was some shortcut), the assembly line fun, the big battles, and the one-on-ones. However the thing I like most about the first three films is what that senator from Naboo is up to over the course of the three films. I find his story much more interesting than the slave boy. :)

roller
15th August 2008, 10:46 PM
"Resurrected" being the appropriate word... seeing as how he died 11 years before the film was released;)

thank goodness some one picked up on my joke

and i know he was dead Robzy, im sure it was more the 11 years though

Cushing also played Dr Who

kurdt_the_goat
15th August 2008, 10:59 PM
I had to watch Ep2 a few times before it all sank in.
Below are spoilers if you haven't seen.

I don't like the bit where Dooku tries to pursuade Obi-Wan to join him.. is he asking seriously or just messing with his mind? Does he want to join with Obi-Wan himself (to overthrow Sidious?), or does Dooku & Sidious both want Obi-Wan to join? It all just seems rather pointless to be asking!

I also don't like the complete lack of back-story for Sifo-Dyas. I had to read the Wikipedia page because they left it out of 2 & 3; it's only in some extended universe stuff! The connection to Sidious is weak at best (at the end when Sidious reveals he *planned* the clone wars). I honestly thought Sifo-Dyas was Dooku the first few times i watched. It also confused me when Jango mentions Darth Tyrannus; as far as i can remember, that's the only reference to that name in all 3 films (actually Count Dooku). Since it's not confirmed as Dooku in the films, i thought Sifo-Dyas might have been Tyrannus! At least with the original trilogy you don't have to think so hard :P

The 3rd one is the best cause as someone said, it focused on simple story and action sequences and not the convoluted politics, love and double crossing.... I can still enjoy them all though, because of the design of the characters and vehicles alone.

edited: changed colour of spoiler text.. is there any way to do proper [SPOILER] style tags? they don't seem to work for me

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2008, 12:37 PM
Hey kurdt, considering that TP&E hasn't seen the prequel movies yet I would recommend either avoiding open spoilers or using spoiler tags in your post. :)

In answer to your question I'd say that Dooku was intent on recruiting Obi-Wan. Under the Darth Bane's Rule of Two Dooku was forbidden from recruiting an apprentice unless they could destroy Darth Sidious. Remember that Sidious himself assassinated Darth Plagueis before he could go about finding apprentices for himself. He only recruited Darth Tyranus after losing Darth Maul and recruited Darth Vader after losing Darth Tyranus. The Sith's sacred Rule of Two is thus always maintained. Although Dooku wasn't allowed to have a formal Sith apprentice, he was allowed to train others in a different capacity such as Dark Acolytes (e.g. Asajj Ventress) and General Grievous. (And remember that Palpatine and Vader had secret apprentices during the Original Trilogy period too, e.g.: Mara Jade) Had Obi-Wan agreed to join him I think that Dooku and Obi-Wan would've conspired to kill Darth Sidious, placing Dooku as the Sith Master and Obi-Wan as his new apprentice. Failing to turn to the Dark Side, Dooku was more than happy to have him killed.

This is a typical Sith tradition. In The Empire Strikes Back we saw Vader trying to seduce Luke to turn to the Dark Side so that together they could overthrow the Emperor - which is actually something that he's always wanted to do. In Episode III we see Vader telling Padmé that he could overthrow Palpatine and that they could rule the galaxy together as husband and wife - in the same fashion he gave the same offer to Luke so that they could rule as father and son. In Return of the Jedi Palpatine joins in on the plan and attempts to seduce Luke to the Dark Side - pitting him against Vader hoping that he would kill his father and replace Vader as his new apprentice. Even if Luke and Vader killed Palpatine, Luke would still turn to the Dark Side as Vader's new apprentice. Either way, the Rule of Two is maintained.

The true identity of Sifo-Dyas isn't vitally important for the movie plot. I never thought he was Dooku though because the Jedi were always aware of Dooku and him leaving their order and their records show that Sifo-Dyas was killed in battle. All that you need to know was that Sifo-Dyas was a Jedi who secretly commissioned the creation of a clone army in the name of the Republic 10 years before Episode II. He's basically a plot-device background character much like Trannis in Transformers G1... we never get to see these characters and they're only mentioned in passing despite their pivotal roles to the overall lore. Meh, it happens... movies don't have the time to expand on all these characters - and if you want further expansion, then that's what the expanded universe is for. :)

The 3rd one is the best cause as someone said, it focused on simple story and action sequences and not the convoluted politics, love and double crossing....
Well Episode III did have all that in spades, but I think that because it was the end act, that it was the finishing pieces for the puzzle that allowed you to see the entire picture, that you can appreciate it differently from Episodes I and II which attempts to build mystery and suspense - i.e.: building toward the climax in Episode III.

I personally liked episode 2 the best of the three films, I love the car chase (that was some shortcut), the assembly line fun, the big battles, and the one-on-ones.
I loved the car chase and most of the action scenes in Episode II as well (also loved the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett as well as the whole Geonosian Arena scene. But IMO Episode II suffered from having the worst light sabreing in all of the Star Wars movies! Gah! It's horrible! It's as if the light sabre choreography was organised by some baton-twirling cheerleader. :/

Episode I had the best melee fight choreography IMO. Every light sabre move was concise with no wasted movements. Every movement is an attack or a block or a parry etc. It was also the first time we ever see Jedi/Sith use unarmed melee fight moves too, e.g.: Qui-Gon Jinn's elbow and reverse roundhouse punch to Darth Maul, Darth Maul spin-kicking Obi-Wan Kenobi. Episode III had comes pretty close and has the 2nd best fight choreography in the entire Saga. It has the best ranged artillery combat scenes we've ever seen in a Star Wars movie, because they actually used an ex-Navy Seal in a motion tracking body suit to record realistic movements for the Clone Troopers! :) Episode I had the best fight choreography because they had Ray Park's assistance and Ray Park is a martial artist.

Best light sabre fight scene in all the movies IMO:
Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi Vs Darth Maul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLXwrj7i7Q) (contains Ep I spoilers)

TheDirtyDigger
17th August 2008, 10:37 AM
[spoiler]

From Wookiepedia.

About Sifo Dyas....

Sifo-Dyas was once a good friend of fellow Master Dooku, and had the gift of precognition. He predicted the coming war, and knew the Galactic Republic would soon face dark times.

Sifo-Dyas secretly commissioned a clone army on Kamino, ostensibly to defend the Republic. Prior to this, Dooku had left the Jedi Order, and had fallen in league with Darth Sidious. He was told by the Sith Master about Sifo-Dyas' actions, and Sidious also revealed that they could use the clone army for their own ends. As a final test of his allegiance to the dark side of the Force, Dooku murdered Sifo-Dyas and took control of the project for himself. It was Sidious' true intention to use Sifo-Dyas only as a dead-end cover for Palpatine's order of a clone army.

Dooku kept his old friend's body frozen for years until the InterGalactic Banking Clan initiated their plan to turn the Kaleesh warlord, General Grievous, into a great cyborg supreme strategist for the Separatist droid armies. Dooku used Sifo-Dyas for a blood transfusion for the General. Once Grievous' transformation into a cyborg had been successfully completed, Dooku gave him the very special gift of Master Sifo-Dyas' own blue-bladed lightsaber.

When Obi-Wan Kenobi traveled to Kamino to investigate the source of the dart that silenced Padmé's attempted killer Zam Wesell, the Kaminoan prime minister Lama Su informed Obi Wan that Sifo-Dyas had ordered the creation of a clone army on Kamino at the request of the Senate, in order to help the Galactic Republic. The Jedi Council was not aware of the order until Kenobi informed them of it after he met with the Kaminoans.

In 22 BBY, Sifo-Dyas' army was eventually revealed and used at the behest of the Galactic Republic. Three years later, it would be used to destroy the Jedi in accordance with Order 66.
[edit] Behind the scenes

So, in summary, Sifo Dyas was a precog who knew the war was coming so commissioned the Clone army. While it wasn't totally necessary for plot development to explain this it still would have been better if they had of.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2008, 05:08 PM
There are a lot of things from the expanded Star Wars universe that you could argue that could be better or nicer if they'd been included into the movies, but the fact is that there just isn't enough time. Each movie is 2+ hours long as they are and in order to squeeze in all that additional canon you would have to lose other things. So Lucas and his team need to decide on which parts of the story need to be kept and which parts need to be sacrificed when putting them into the movie.

Sometimes things are altered because changes made to the final movie cut. For example, in the original story by Lucas, Obi-Wan Kenobi wasn't meant to be killed by Vader in Episode IV and Wookies didn't appear until Episode VI on Endor. But when Lucas made Star Wars he never suspected that it would become popular and spawn sequels (let alone prequels) so he modified parts of the Episode IV story. For example, he decided to sacrifice Obi-Wan Kenobi. Then he created Chewbacca as Han Solo's co-pilot so that a Wookie could appear in the movie.

Then when he made Episodes V and VI he realised that he had to change things. Luke's training needed to be completed but because Lucas had killed off Kenobi in Episode IV, he created the character Yoda to replace him in Episode V. Episode IV portrayed Chewbacca the Wookiee as a very intelligent creature capable of operating high level technology - i.e.: co-piloting the Millenium Falcon. So when they came to Endor in Episode VI they could no longer portray the Wookiees as being primitive savages as he'd originally intended. So he had the Wookiees shrunken to midget size and made to be short-haired instead of woolly, and thus we got Ewoks! Both the Endor moon and the Wookiee world of Kashyyyk are jungle worlds (although Kashyyyk trees are more gigantic compared to those on the Sanctuary Moon).

Tree-tops from the Endor moon
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/9/9c/Endor_matte.jpg/200px-Endor_matte.jpg (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/9c/Endor_matte.jpg)

Even gigantic Turbo Tanks are dwarfed by the massive trees of Kashyyyk
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/8/87/Battlefront_Kashyyyk.jpg/185px-Battlefront_Kashyyyk.jpg (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/8/87/Battlefront_Kashyyyk.jpg)

P.S.: Lucas is going to be working on Star Wars TV series now, which I believe he intends to use to expand on the movies.

TheDirtyDigger
17th August 2008, 06:52 PM
One thing I always wondered...

We see the 2nd Death Star dwarfed by and orbiting Endor.
Endor is a moon itself.
Well whatever it is Endor is orbiting has got to be MASSIVE right?

Heard, a fair while back now, that the SW TV series was going to be produced in Singapore.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2008, 10:20 PM
The Endor moon - also known as the Sanctuary Moon - orbits around the planet Endor which is a gas giant. See that big blue planet in the Endor moon sky? That's planet Endor.

TheDirtyDigger
18th August 2008, 07:49 AM
Ahhhhh....It all makes sense now. A bit like Saturn's moon of Titan.
Thanks Gok.:)

kurdt_the_goat
18th August 2008, 11:19 AM
There are a lot of things from the expanded Star Wars universe that you could argue that could be better or nicer if they'd been included into the movies, but the fact is that there just isn't enough time.

Aren't you forgetting that they could have cut crap like "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth" and replaced it with the back-story on Sifo-Diyas?

I'm just speaking from my personal experience, but after the Sifo-Diyas mention in the movie, while watching the rest i was a bit confused, which threw me out for the remainder of the film, as i was constantly reassessing who he might have been (at least the first time i watched).

You'd think they'd have gone into his back story, because Obi-Wan was sent to *investigate*, but didn't really find out anything more than he stumbled upon... if he'd have uncovered more about Sifo-Diyas, perhaps everything could have been averted and the emperor discovered! Maybe THAT is why they didn't go into it :p

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Dude! Be careful with spoilers!!

Aren't you forgetting that they could have cut crap like (snip)
Not really. While I agree that the love scenes and dialogue between Anakin and Padmé were poorly written and poorly executed, I disagree that the scene could've been cut. One of the most important things that Episode II needed to establish was the romance of Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala because of course they need to fall in love so that Luke and Leia may be created. Could that scene have been done better? Absolutely. Could it have been deleted? No. To Lucas' credit he made the lovey-dovey talk between Anakin and Padmé very brief in Episode III - I think he realises that he's not very good at writing romantic dialogue.

Clone Wars Spoiler: In Clone Wars the romantic interaction between Anakin and Padmé is both very brief and extremely subtle yet beautiful and effectual. We see Padmé negotiating with Jabba the Hutt and Anakin congratulates the Senator on a job well done - we see Padmé and Anakin looking briefly yet longingly into each other's eyes (and as holograms!) and we can also hear a touch of melancholy in their voices - wanting to explode with love yet holding it back. Telling each other that they love one another but without actually doing so. I thought that was very well written and executed.

kurdt_the_goat
18th August 2008, 01:39 PM
I concur that the love aspect is the whole point of the movie, but to that end it's hardly just a single scene; there are heaps of scenes cementing their feelings for each other, I was suggesting perhaps *one* of those could have gone. There's so much love story in there, i found myself saying "OK, I GET IT!!!, you guys are hot for each other!"

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2008, 02:04 PM
If only Irvin Kershner directed Episode II. ;)
Best Star Wars romance = Episode V Han Solo & Leia Organa. :)

STL
18th August 2008, 05:43 PM
U do realise though that whats her face appearing in Clone Wars out of nowhere in the last 20 minutes of the movie is pretty damned amateur, right? Sure, there was the "moment" but its a very wtf that she appears in the first place.

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2008, 07:17 PM
She didn't appear out of nowhere. Her role was important as she was crucial in uncovering the CIS'* plan and the truth behind the kidnap of Rotta the Huttlet and Ziro the Hutt's important role in that plan. After she was freed by Republic Clones (the commander that led that rescue raid looked like Bacara, but I could be wrong) she then used Ziro's communications channel to contact Jabba and provide important evidence (i.e.: Ziro's confession) that disproved Dooku's allegations against Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano (and thus proving their innocence). If not for Padmé, Jabba would have executed Anakin and Ahsoka.

I also found it interesting that:
1/ Ziro the Hutt appeared to be a Black Sun Vigo!
2/ Ahsoka Tano fights using Shien style light sabre combat, which Darth Vader teaches to his secret apprentice Galen Marek

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/8/8d/Ahsoka_anakin.jpg/200px-Ahsoka_anakin.jpg

*Confederacy of Independent Systems, aka Separatists

Gutsman Heavy
19th August 2008, 12:32 AM
So, is the new clone wars as crap as everyone says? Jive-talking Miss Jabba?

STL
19th August 2008, 12:37 AM
So, is the new clone wars as crap as everyone says? Jive-talking Miss Jabba?

It depends on what you want to see it for. I knew it was going to be crap but I chose to see it (much to the chagrin of my mates) b/c I wanted to see the action scenes. All the weapons, soldiers, tanks and ships were really quite amazing and I was not disappointed.

I should add that after seeing the movie I am really really keen to get a few other SW Lego too. The movie had that effect of getting you to marvel at the machines. On the top of my list are the Republic Gunship and the Magna Guard Starfighter which looked quite awesome and were used excellently in the movie.

As for the plot, I had very low expectations for it and it barely even met those. The last 20 mins are wtf moments and there's a lot of cringeworthy dialogue that many a fanfic writer could do better on.

jacksplatt11
19th August 2008, 02:08 AM
i love all the star wars movies, cant say much about the new clone wars one cause i haven't seen it yet, but ive heard its pretty poor..

ive been reading up on all the expanded universe stuff on wookiepedia, man there is a lot... movies, novels, comics, games, cartoons... all up there is like a history from 7,500,000,000 years before the original movies, to 130 or so years after.. its just crazy to try and catch up on... slowly getting there though.. ha

GoktimusPrime
19th August 2008, 11:27 AM
Bear in mind that this movie is written for a younger audience (approx. age 12). In that context I think it's adequate - not exceptional (like say Beast Wars), just adequate. But I really liked the movie. :)

I really liked the Clones. The writers have put in effort to individualise the clones and try to make the audience care for them. It also serves to form a bridge between Episodes II and III because in Episode II the clones lack individuality. Other than some different markings on officers' armour they pretty much all looked and behaved the same and didn't even care for each other (e.g.: if a clone fell, the rest kept fighting on). But by Episode III we see that the Clones have developed more individuality. They have individual callsigns like Oddball, Cody, Gree, Bacara, Bly et al. and customised armour and individual scarring on certain individuals (e.g. Cody) gained after years of fighting the Clone Wars. In Clone Wars we see the beginnings of this - clones having individual stylised hair styles (e.g.: Captain Rex's hair is very shortly shaven and dyed bright blonde). In the Dark Horse comics we know that it was the Jedi who influenced individuality amongst the clones (especially Anakin who started the trend of clones having individual names instead of serial codes - ironic that when he becomes Vader the opposite occurs amongst Imperial Stormtroopers (e.g.: TK-421)). In Episode III we also see clones inspecting fallen clones and summoning medics if they're still alive. We see this happen in Clone Wars. We also see a lot of clones taking individual initiative in battle instead of all fighting the same way. Different battalions of clones also use different tactics and styles of strategies, influenced by their Jedi generals. e.g.: the 501st (Anakin's clones) are more direct, forceful and cunning (like the way Rex managed to tip off Anakin when he fell under Ventress' mind trick or when he also tricked the Battle Droid into having a "closer look" at his wrist communicator just to get the droid close enough to grapple with it and take its blaster).

Some people have criticised the Battle Droids for being too "cute", but I found them really funny. And after all, they had that more cutesy persona in Episode III so it makes sense that we see the beginnings of that new programming in Clone Wars. I liked how the Dwarf Spider Droids were treated like puppies by the Battle Droids ("Good boy"). :D But I also like how the Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids were at times portrayed like Terminators in battle, like the way they would close in on trapped clones or when the clones would try to fight them hand-to-hand and the droids would just utterly pwn them, yet at the same time although you knew those clones were doomed you couldn't help but admire their courage.

ive been reading up on all the expanded universe stuff on wookiepedia, man there is a lot... movies, novels, comics, games, cartoons... all up there is like a history from 7,500,000,000 years before the original movies, to 130 or so years after.. its just crazy to try and catch up on... slowly getting there though.. ha

Transformers is worse. At least the Star Wars universe is mostly one single continuity (with a few exceptions). Transformers has never had a universal continuity with an ever expanding number of independent canonical sources! :D

Still, I enjoy keeping all that Transformers lore in my head. :)

P.S.: The advantage of having multiple canons is that you can pick and choose which ones you like! For example, I really don't like Galvatron from the G1 cartoon, but I love Galvatron from the G1 comics. Even Wheelie is pretty decent in the IDW universe (Spotlight). As much as people may complain about the prequels (e.g.: Jar Jar Binks) the fact is that they're official canon and officially part of the mainstream Star Wars universe! You don't really have any other real choice! Don't like how Anakin and Padmé hooked up? Tough bananas! It's canon! Whereas I can happily say that I dislike G1 cartoon Galvatron and default over to the G1 comics as my source for that particular character. :)

kurdt_the_goat
19th August 2008, 04:59 PM
Well i was gonna watch 300 last night but couldn't find it, so i threw in Attack of the Clones :) Whilst my initial statement stands, my absolutely most hated thing about this movie is how they they got that stiff little kid to play Boba Fett. I'm seldom impressed by kid actors but that guy takes the cake! "Get him, Dad, get him. Fire!" ... & his permanently suspicious face when Obi first meets Jango.. it almost makes me sick! I did enjoy that they went into Boba's back story, but it's such a shame they couldn't do it without ruining the cool and mysterious image we had from the original trilogy.

Demonac
19th August 2008, 05:22 PM
I think the whole Boba Fett sub plot in Ep. 2 was a huge mistake.
What everyone loved about Boba Fett was the mystery.
Stripped away, he just becomes another spoiled brat.

The whole prequel thing was badly handled. It was an opportunity for Lucas to expand his 'universe'. Instead, everything seems to transpire on Tattoine (sp?), and with the same 4 or 5 characters whose fate we already know about.
By Ep. 3, I was expecting young versions of Han & Lando!

Rant over! :P

GoktimusPrime
19th August 2008, 06:38 PM
Demonac: TP&E who started this thread hasn't seen the prequel trilogy yet, so please be careful with spoilers!

kurdt: I see where you're coming from, and I thought the same thing about Jake Lloyd too. Then I saw the audition footage on the DVD special features and saw the other runner up kids. Lloyd was hands-down the best of the lot. The thing is that when you're casting a child character you have all these kids auditioning, and I think that the majority of them are just really bad, so you're often stuck picking the best out of a lot of really poor kid actors. :/ So while I agree that Daniel Logan's acting isn't outstanding, without having seen any other audition tapes I can't tell if he was the best choice for the role out of the available candidates or not.

SilverDragon
19th August 2008, 09:38 PM
I want to see Clone Wars because the animation style interests me. Plus I haven't seen a SW film in a cinema before.

I saw Episode 3 while babysitting, and it was alright. I was pretty much MST3K'ing it throughout.

STL
19th August 2008, 10:23 PM
I want to see Clone Wars because the animation style interests me.

You won't be disappointed. I wanted to see it for the exact same reason.

Saintly
20th August 2008, 11:12 AM
loved the Clone Wars (saw it with Legend yesterday night)... i thought the hutts don't wanna deal with the imperial/republic?

on a side note, be careful when booking online with greater union, my ticket was apparently picked up by another person with the same 4 and last 4 digits of the credit card!

i_amtrunks
20th August 2008, 11:21 AM
I want to see Clone Wars because the animation style interests me.

Thats my main interest in the film, but I'll most likely wait for a DVD release, as none of my mates are Star Wars fans.

The wooden puppet look was an interesting choice, but it makes sense in terms of colour palettes and texturing, it allows for a very wide spectrum of choices for both.

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2008, 08:13 PM
i thought the hutts don't wanna deal with the imperial/republic?
Well I guess discovering that the Jedi had rescued Jabba's son convinced him to allow the Republic to have safe passage through the Hutts' space lanes. It doesn't mean that they'll be active allies of the Republic - after all, the Hutts are criminals - but it does mean that the Hutts have agreed to not harass or attack Republic forces as they move through their territories. And they pretty much have a similar understanding during the time of the Empire too - the Empire has no interest in claiming Tattooine (which makes it an ideal hiding ground for Luke and Kenobi). In the original trilogy we never see the Hutts and the Empire ever interfering with each other's business. The only time the Empire ever set foot on Tattooine is to search for the Death Star plans, and they absolutely steered clear of the Hutts' business. Jabba and his agents were able to freely move about Mos Eisley even though it was under Imperial lockdown.

http://www.georgettesworld.com/main/swyoungjabba.jpg

jacksplatt11
20th August 2008, 08:34 PM
one thing ive always wondered, c-3po can speak billions of languages because of the fact he's a protocol droid.. yet r2-d2 and all the other astromech droids only speak in beeps.. couldnt they just install the same langauge chip that c-3po and other protocol droids have into astromech droids, so they can still speak in beeps but also speak english/other languages to humans/other species? battle droids etc speak english... just a thought

Paulbot
20th August 2008, 08:38 PM
This is kind of becoming the all Star Wars thread!!!

It's probably a good thing R2-D2 can't talk Basic or else he would have had his memory wiped like C-3P0 to keep the babies' secret.

jacksplatt11
20th August 2008, 08:52 PM
ahh good point paulbot, didnt think of that..

so it was a plot device that george lucas thought of back in the 70s that would be applicable to the movies made in the 2000s.. haha.. perhaps perhaps

Paulbot
20th August 2008, 09:14 PM
IMHO it's more an excuse to allow C3P0 to deliver exposition when he translates. (The scene that comes to mind is when C3P0 explains what the plan is aboard the Death Star after R2D2 brings up the maps showing where the prision cells and tractor beam generator are)

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2008, 09:56 PM
There's also the fact that Astromech droids aren't really intended for frequent contact with sentient beings. They're mechanics - that's it! Nobody cares about what droids have to say anyway and certain droids are given speech modulators only if it suits their function. Threepio has speech because he obviously needs it as a translator.

The droids was something that Lucas apparently got from Kurosawa Akira - the idea of telling a saga through the eyes of the lowliest members of society. In Kurosawa's 隠し砦の三悪人 ("The Hidden Fortress") we see the tale through the eyes of two comical peasants, the lowliest class in feudal Japan (especially compared to samurai warriors and princesses etc.). In the Star Wars universe droids have the lowest station in society - arguably even lower than slaves because they're not even living and absolutely nobody cares about their welfare or opinion whatsoever!

"Let the Wookiee win."

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2006/05/02/20060502_hiddenfortress.jpghttp://sci-fi.lovetoknow.com/wiki/images/Sci-Fi/9/9e/R2andC3PO.jpg

Lord_Zed
20th August 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm still waiting for a droid revolution in the Starwars universe where the droids rise up and attack there masters, I think it would be way better then those alien universe guys from the expanded universe.

I want to see Clone Wars because the animation style interests me

Alas where as I don't want to see it because the animation style bugs me, and the actual animation itself looks very wooden, at least from the trailers, and all reports I've heard. I've decided to wait for the inevitable tv series instead.

Combine it with the forthcomming live action series and the Star Wars universe is definately getting expanded, not sure if this is a good thing though.

Saintly
21st August 2008, 07:35 AM
I feel that the animation style compared to the clone wars TV series look slightly different... it's kinda got that *mature* feel to it. Anyone?

ps. this thread isn't about ep1, 2 or 3 anymore, is it?

GoktimusPrime
21st August 2008, 10:33 PM
As Paulbot said, this appears to have spawned into the All Things Star Wars thread. :p But for TP&E's benefit I think we should be careful with prequel spoilers until he lets us know that he's finally sat down and watched these movies. Hurry up TP&E! these movies have been around forever! Even Episode III has been rerun on free-to-air TV!

I think it would be way better then those alien universe guys from the expanded universe.
You mean Cobra-La the Yuuzhan Vong. ;) :D

http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/wiki/images/thumb/1/1c/Vong.jpg/150px-Vong.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/67/180px-GiJoeMovie_Pythona.jpg
"Crush the New Republic! This I command!"

Their Vondun Crab Armour's pretty cool though. Isn't Darth Krayt's armour Vondun?

http://www.theforceperu.net/img/datafiles/darth_krayt.png

To Punish & Enslave
21st August 2008, 10:45 PM
for TP&E's benefit I think we should be careful with prequel spoilers until he lets us know that he's finally sat down and watched these movies. Hurry up TP&E! these movies have been around forever! Even Episode III has been rerun on free-to-air TV!

All good gok. After all this feedback I will hire at least #3 and see how we go from there. Most people seem to think #3 is worth the watch. No probs with the spoilers feel free as most have already to type as you will.;)

Demonac
21st August 2008, 10:45 PM
Episode III has been on free to air? It feels like only yesterday I watched it at the cinema.
BTW, I think that once a movie hits free to air, we shouldn't need to give spoiler warnings!
(Sorry TP&E)

To Punish & Enslave
21st August 2008, 10:53 PM
Episode III has been on free to air? It feels like only yesterday I watched it at the cinema.
BTW, I think that once a movie hits free to air, we shouldn't need to give spoiler warnings!
(Sorry TP&E)

Understand it’s not the law but gok’s just being polite as I would be back to him.:rolleyes:

jaydisc
22nd August 2008, 09:59 AM
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/stormtrooper.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
22nd August 2008, 11:53 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3506/battlefrontpromoartta1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

kup
22nd August 2008, 12:35 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3506/battlefrontpromoartta1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

If that was a scene from the prequels we would be having furry aliens with big smiles and cartoony eyes as well as a few of them tripping over themselves and defeating the enemy in a comedic fashion.

The Clone army in the prequels were an awesome concept but too bad it wasn't properly used. It was also disappointing that their enemy, the droid army, was primarily used as comic relief and not a serious threat.

Again, the Prequel trilogy seem to have some damn good ideas but appalling executions. Lucas role should of been that of a consultant or ideas man not the writer and director of the movies.

Lord_Zed
22nd August 2008, 01:25 PM
As Paulbot said, this appears to have spawned into the All Things Star Wars thread. :p But for TP&E's benefit I think we should be careful with prequel spoilers until he lets us know that he's finally sat down and watched these movies. Hurry up TP&E! these movies have been around forever! Even Episode III has been rerun on free-to-air TV!

You mean Cobra-La the Yuuzhan Vong. ;) :D

http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/wiki/images/thumb/1/1c/Vong.jpg/150px-Vong.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/67/180px-GiJoeMovie_Pythona.jpg
"Crush the New Republic! This I command!"

Their Vondun Crab Armour's pretty cool though. Isn't Darth Krayt's armour Vondun?

http://www.theforceperu.net/img/datafiles/darth_krayt.png

Yeah for me both Cobra La and the Yuuzhan Vong don't seem to feel like they belong in thier relative universes. I supose the Yuuzhan Vong came from a different galaxy so maybe they came from the Star Trek Galaxy or something, while Cobra La were pobably leftovers from the Inhumanoids universe that travelled through to the GI joe toon world.

GoktimusPrime
22nd August 2008, 03:48 PM
Yuuzhan Vong are way cooler than Cobra-La, mostly because they don't have a battle cry like "Yuuzhan Vongvongvongvongvongvongvong!" *shudders*
But Pythona is way hotter than any Vong Shaper. *grrwwwl* ;)

Someone should make a Star Wars version of this: (contains strong language)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/Privatehax.gif

roller
22nd August 2008, 09:30 PM
for some unknown reason, my 2nd wife would take great enjoyment in dressing up as a sith witch. Don't know why