PDA

View Full Version : Kids Magazine with redecoed Universe Wheelie

Bidoofdude
2nd July 2014, 04:40 PM
I was in Target and Big W today and they had the kids magazines by the registers (K-Zone, Mania, etc.). The pack in for one of them was something Transformers, but I didn't see it properly at Big W and Woolworths. Some orangey-red car. I then passed by the same magazine at Target and I got a closer look.
The included toy is actually a redeco of Universe Legends Wheelie. I don't know if it was actually legitimately made or just a KO, but it had a black Autobot symbol on his chest. He was a strong, almost neon orange colour. I didn't get to look for long enough to see the quality.

I may be able to get pics soon, but they had the magazine at Woolworths, Big W and Target.

EDIT: Pics in the link on AllSpark: http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/103769-australian-kids-magazines-featuring-transformers/

UltraMarginal
2nd July 2014, 05:40 PM
Ha, I took pics of this at a newsagent near my work but never got around to posting. I think it's a KO. disappointing to see this type of thing still being included in a magazine with an (I'm assuming) "official" article on transformers inside.

griffin
2nd July 2014, 06:47 PM
Those kids magazines have bonus KO Transformers once or twice a year... it's really weird. I should ask Hasbro one of these days how they are allowed to.

Bidoofdude
2nd July 2014, 07:32 PM
Those kids magazines have bonus KO Transformers once or twice a year... it's really weird. I should ask Hasbro one of these days how they are allowed to.

I find it weirder that they're ballsy enough to slap an Autobot logo on him.

DELTAprime
3rd July 2014, 10:17 PM
I just saw these at work today. I saw Wheelie slightly off colour, Beachcomber slightly darker colour than normal, and a yellow one that I'm not sure of the mould. They looked fairly legit because of the Autobot logo's and the official Transformers logo on the magazine.

Also just got in another kids magazine in today with a clearly KO multicolour version of Cybertron Brakedown.

reillyd
6th July 2014, 08:51 PM
I bought it for Wheelie, but it's lousy plastic, the tolerances are off and almost impossible to get into car mode

tinyJazz
7th July 2014, 09:21 AM
I picked up two with Jazz in orange and yellow in Big W. Terrible brittle KO quality as usual. I don't think they'd survive transforming and I'm not game enough to try!

Although if anyone sees Jazz in a different colour again, hit me up. :p

I can scan the transformers page tonight if anyone's interested.

SMHFConvoy
7th July 2014, 09:53 AM
I found oversized ko's of wheelie, cosmos and candy ultra magnus in dollar king a while back.

griffin
11th July 2014, 05:11 PM
At Coles, I only saw Cybertron Overdrive Breakdown (in two different colours) and Classics Legends Beachcomber (in green, but with an Autobot symbol).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b962.jpg

That's a lot of different KO toys on kids magazines at the moment because of the Movie. And I think it might be a case of "turning a blind eye" by Hasbro, because they get more out of the publicity in the Kids Magazines than any negativity from the weird looking KOs.
(ultimately, I guess as the proprietary owner of the Brand, Hasbro aren't required to enforce a ban on all or any KOs, they have the choice to do so... similar to the choice of ignoring those companies making money from producing and selling toys of Gen1 characters, characters that other companies like IDW, JayJays, Goldie, FunPub etc, are paying tens of thousands of dollars for licenses to legally sell products of Hasbro characters)

I think it would be nice to get confirmation that they are permitting this for the greater return of the Magazine's publicity, as it would be good to use as a precedent if a club like ours wanted to just get permission to produce something promotional, that would otherwise require a license.
Actually, we are already the precedent, as we got permission to be a Club back in 1997, without needing to buy a license, because it was of (some) benefit to Hasbro at the time... and we still are. :D

SMHFConvoy
11th July 2014, 08:32 PM
Hmm, that overdrive could be turned into a legends sized mtmte chromedome... :D

octopunchshotfisrt
20th July 2014, 10:32 AM
Those look extraordinarily weird, and I'm tempted to find one out of morbid curiosity...