PDA

View Full Version : New Transformers by jizaitoys

jimoinj
14th August 2008, 08:06 PM
http://jizaitoys.seesaa.net/article/40994136.html

Has anyone seen these before? They look awesome. I'm guessing they must be unofficial products, but I wish they'd hook up with Takara and make them official because we've been sorely needing toys of Cyclonus and the others with this great a likeness. What do you guys think?

Omega Supreme
14th August 2008, 08:14 PM
I would love that Cyclonus, have you got any of these yourself ?

STL
14th August 2008, 10:05 PM
Yeap, these have been around for awhile now. Very hard to get. Kelvinchang99 owns them. He told me that they aren't as durable as you'd generally like

Pulse
14th August 2008, 10:39 PM
Good luck getting your hands on one... (on the rare occasion they show up on Ebay, they go for a minimum of about $200 a pop)

jaydisc
14th August 2008, 10:55 PM
eBay seller pompomnet (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=4&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com.au%2F_W0QQsassZp ompomnet) has been putting them up one after the other for quite some time now.

Here's Cyclonus (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=2&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=290253061182&item=290253061182") and Wheelie (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?type=2&campid=5336043815&toolid=10001&customid=&ext=290253060391&item=290253060391). They rarely reach over 1 bid, so keep watch and you can get for $185.

kelvinchang99
14th August 2008, 11:41 PM
Agreed. I do own them from pompomnet. Definitely the most toon accurate things around.

However, small in size and a little flimsy. Great to stick a gundam stand on and not try to stand them too much. If it falls only once, your on your way to custom fixing land.

But, if you're looking for toon like, its definitely there and highly recommend.

No luck trying to email them though to get the goods, only on ebay after some hardcore searching.

The powerglide looks great too.

i_amtrunks
15th August 2008, 09:56 AM
I believe that they are model kits, so that ebay seller has had them constructed and painted up first, thats a bonus, I'd hate to pay that much for a figure then stuff it up with my painting (lack of) skills.

Wheelie is a work of art, and his small size makes sense, Cyclonus has always looked a little small to me.

Powerglide looks very interesting,as does the Ironhide and Octane figures.

JuzMel
15th August 2008, 10:46 AM
Just curious, do jizaitoys actually have the right to make this figures?

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2008, 11:10 AM
No, they don't. They're basically customs, and it is illegal to sell customs based on copyrighted characters.

If you made a custom transforming robot that's your own original character/creation, then it's not really a problem - say if I made a generic looking school bus transform into a robot that I've hacked together from various toys and model kits. But if you make a custom based on an actual "Transformers" character (and their likeness) then you are infringing on HasTak's intellectual property and it is a copyright infringement. The characters of Cyclonus and Wheelie and their distinctive likenesses are intellectual properties of Hasbro/TakaraTOMY. That's how I understand it anyway. *shrug*

Tiby?

Pulse
15th August 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think they're classified as "Garage Kits" (being as their scratchbuilt - I think? :confused:)

I think they're out of Hasbro's jurisdiction but TakaraTomy are aware of them & have actually given Jizaitoys the ok to produce & sell extremely limited numbers of them at the Winter Wonderfest (http://tformers.com/Wonder-Festival-2007-Winter-Preview-Gallery/7221/news.html) in Japan

Saintly
15th August 2008, 11:21 AM
what Pulse said :)

i_amtrunks
15th August 2008, 11:33 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think they're classified as "Garage Kits" (being as their scratchbuilt - I think? :confused:)

I think they're out of Hasbro's jurisdiction but TakaraTomy are aware of them & have actually given Jizaitoys the ok to produce & sell extremely limited numbers of them at the Winter Wonderfest (http://tformers.com/Wonder-Festival-2007-Winter-Preview-Gallery/7221/news.html) in Japan

And ONLY at the Winter Wonderfest. Apparently, there was a problem with the weather that delayed Jizaitoys arrival to this years fest, thus they couldnt sell anything.

Saintly
15th August 2008, 11:57 AM
icy train tracks prevented the trains from getting to the fest

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2008, 01:38 PM
I don't think TakaraTOMY actually gives fans permission to produce/sell garage kits - I think it falls under Doujinshi (fan made comics, magazines etc) which are like fan sites - technically illegal but usually tolerated. But there are occasions where companies do decide to take legal action... remember the BotCon Japan 2000/Ichikawa controversy? (or ever wondered why BotCon Japan doesn't exist anymore) :/

sifun
15th August 2008, 02:21 PM
what happened?

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2008, 03:06 PM
Okay, as with typical TF conventions and other such events in Japan, we had lots of people selling garage kits, doujinshi etc. - a lot of convention exclusive manga etc are doujinshi. So anyway, people sell these things to obviously make back money spent on producing them. When it comes to garage kits and doujinshi based on copyrighted property, there's an unspoken agreement in terms of making it non-profit. Kinda like fan-sites, they're supposed to be non-profit too. As soon as you start profiteering from a fan-site then companies get narky (because then you are actually making money from their property).

So anyway, Japanese fans understand this and they pretty much stick by this "rule." The same thing happened in BotCon Japan 2000. A high profile Japanese Transfan named Ichikawa Hirofumi produced this exclusive doujinshi comic called The Cybertron Chronicles (which is where the G1 toy-accurate images of Ironhide in my signature come from :)) and he was intending on selling them to attendees for a small price - again, just to cover printing costs. Everyone knew that he wasn't aiming to make a profit. In spite of this, Takara got narky and ordered Ichikawa to give away the comics for free, meaning that he would've lost out on a lot of money from printing them! (o_O)

Attendees accepted the free comic, but they knew that a fellow Transfan was financially hurting big time because of it. As a result there was a massive backlash from Japanese Transfans against Takara and BotCon Japan was shut down forever (we've never had a BotCon in Japan ever since). :(

Several other decisions made by Takara in 2001 further worsened their relationship with Transfans, and having just saved themselves from near bankruptcy, Takara realised that they needed to mend their relationship with the fandom. So by 2002 they'd actually enlisted Ichikawa Hirofumi into assisting them with several official projects, such as exclusives for e-Hobby, Micron Legend etc. All of the e-Hobby exclusive characters such as Sunstorm, Road Hauler etc. where written by Ichikawa. Ichikawa also wrote the entire Story of Binaltech. Ichikawa was also involved with some toy designs in Super Link and Galaxy Force. So although Takara has since repaired their relationship with Transfandom, the trouble all started over them cracking down over one Transfan selling a fan-made TF product.

And don't think that a fan backlash would necessarily stop HasTak from doing it again. Remember Tengu's (mundanely known as Rob Gerbracht) tfmultiverse.com? Or when Wonko the Sane's (aka Apelinq, mundanely known as Ben Yee) bwtf.com used to be beastwars.net? Or when Hasbro took legal action over a Transfan who had registered the name "Dinobot" as his online alias? It happens.

This is why our next Australian convention is going to be called something generic like "Transforming Robot Toy Convention" or something like that. We're intentionally avoiding using the word "Transformer" and any of their images etc.

Transformers is the legal property of HasTak. They can take legal action against people who infringe their property, and there are numerous cases of them having done so.

市川裕文 (Ichikawa Hirofumi)
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/b/b3/Ichikawa.jpg/200px-Ichikawa.jpg

Zippo
15th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Cheers for that story Gok!

The jizatoys items look good, however too costly and basically they need to be status. Though I assume that our collections are anyway ..