PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay Not Planning to Direct Transformers 5

GoktimusPrime
13th August 2014, 08:17 PM
http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/11/michael-bay-not-planning-to-direct-transformers-5/

Omega Metro
13th August 2014, 08:37 PM
Sounds like good news. But will probably end up being no TF5 movie at all.:(

Starscream77
13th August 2014, 09:42 PM
Didn't he say he wasn't going to do TF 4 ???

UltraMarginal
13th August 2014, 09:44 PM

or TF3..

Sinnertwin
13th August 2014, 10:42 PM
Awwww... no more bewbs & explosions?

CBratron
13th August 2014, 11:13 PM
Article is barely meaningful. Not planning to and won't be aren't necessarily the same thing.

1orion2many
13th August 2014, 11:42 PM
We can only hope but I'm sure it's just a hollow promise:rolleyes:

sifun
13th August 2014, 11:52 PM
best news ever

kup
14th August 2014, 12:35 AM
or TF3..

or TF2

Smint
14th August 2014, 02:36 AM
Rejoice!

BigTransformerTrev
14th August 2014, 09:37 AM

or TF3..

Yeah, he's saying not planning to but he said that for the last couple so that Paramount would drive an extra lorry-load of cash up to his front door. Considering TF4 just made a billion bucks I bet they try to get him back for the next one and if they offer him yet another stupid amount of money he agrees.

I hope he holds to his statement of not doing the next one but I'm pretty skeptial

5FDP
14th August 2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah, he's saying not planning to but he said that for the last couple so that Paramount would drive an extra lorry-load of cash up to his front door. Considering TF4 just made a billion bucks I bet they try to get him back for the next one and if they offer him yet another stupid amount of money he agrees.

I hope he holds to his statement of not doing the next one but I'm pretty skeptial

^ What he said ;)

drifand
14th August 2014, 12:57 PM
That's right we all initially heard this news for tf4 so this is not accurate and just take it with a grain of salt

DELTAprime
14th August 2014, 01:54 PM
I'll believe it when they hire a different guy. From what I've read of the reviews Michael Bay's other big movie this year TMNT is not being well received either, I'll be glad to see him go.

Lint
14th August 2014, 02:32 PM
I kinda feel sorry for Michael Bay, he clearly wants to do something else but he's now the 'Transformers Guy' who nobody is willing to hire. I guess thats his punishment for his part in these travesties of filmmaking.

Unfortunately the same misfortune has not befallen the writers.

Raptormesh
14th August 2014, 03:20 PM
I kinda feel sorry for Michael Bay, he clearly wants to do something else but he's now the 'Transformers Guy' who nobody is willing to hire. I guess thats his punishment for his part in these travesties of filmmaking.

Unfortunately the same misfortune has not befallen the writers.

They actually hired screenwriters for the TF movies???:p I thought they just randomly copied fan fiction off the forums and changed the names.

Robzy
14th August 2014, 04:18 PM
Technically he didn't even want to do the first one... Money changes everything ;)

I still haven't even seen TF4. No interest! Until I hear differently about these films, I'm unwilling to support the direction they're going in.

millhouse
14th August 2014, 04:25 PM
TMNT is not being well received either

What this has to do with anything is lost on me, considering it made about 50% above what it's estimated opening was.

Just saying that money talks and reviews walk.

Bay's using TF5 as positioning to get Paramount to let him do something he wants. He did Pain & Gain (a passion project) prior to TF4, and who knows, he might actually back off and Exec Produce TF5 instead of directing. Either way, it's going to get Bay something from Paramount, you can be sure of that.

drifand
14th August 2014, 04:50 PM
It needs an entire reboot following G1 and not killing off important characters.
I am not saying the movies so far are bad but it is not the cartoons where we live by. Optimus hardly ever killed anyone.

DELTAprime
14th August 2014, 04:52 PM
What this has to do with anything is lost on me, considering it made about 50% above what it's estimated opening was.

It's another Michael bay piece of s**t. I can't believe people keep going to his movies. 20% on RottenTomatos ain't good. And it only has a $65 mil US box office. TF4 might have snuck by to a billion because apparently the Chinese are idiots that like crap movies but I doubt TMNT will. When I go to see a movie I expect the quality of a Marvel movie for my money, not a piece of crap.

griffin
14th August 2014, 05:28 PM

Maybe that's why he set up a movie company, so that he can still sit back and produce (fund) movies, without having to worry about the non-Transformers movies he directs doing good or bad.

millhouse
14th August 2014, 05:47 PM
It's another Michael bay piece of s**t. I can't believe people keep going to his movies. 20% on RottenTomatos ain't good. And it only has a $65 mil US box office. TF4 might have snuck by to a billion because apparently the Chinese are idiots that like crap movies but I doubt TMNT will. When I go to see a movie I expect the quality of a Marvel movie for my money, not a piece of crap.

Here's the thing. The 20% rating on RT? Does't matter. $65m opening was 35% higher than the studio estimated a week earlier. It's called over performing. Have a read over at Box Office Mojo - it's a great website for the realities of the industry ($$$ not creativity). http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3889&p=.htm

I'm not saying AOE wasn't utter shite. I'm not saying DOTM and ROTF weren't utter shite. And I'm not saying that, if I see Ninja Turtles, I won't think it's utter shite - it's highly likely I will.

What I'm saying is that people actively watch Michael Bay's movies and pay regularly to do so. His films make money for the most part. He delivers on time, on budget, a product that makes money. He's criticproof, in the sense that critics do not deter people going to see his films. He is an asset to Paramount.

He may be a hack, a jerk, and have the narrative sense of a dachshund, but he is, fiscally-speaking, a keeper.

Did you see TF4? Did you see TF3? Did you see TF2?

If so, you're part of the problem you're complaining about.

And if you didn't, or you enjoyed dropping the $20 (or whatever) on a ticket for it, good on you. Enjoy it.

As for the quality of a Marvel movie? Go see a Marvel movie. It's not like there aren't enough scheduled for the next few years. I've enjoyed 'em all (well, except The First Avenger, but it wasn't terrible!). If you go in to all movies expecting Marvel quality, or hold that studio on a pedestal, eventually you'll see them tank with something - it just doesn't look like it'll be anything soon. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

millhouse
14th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Maybe that's why he set up a movie company, so that he can still sit back and produce (fund) movies, without having to worry about the non-Transformers movies he directs doing good or bad.

He also got to do Pain & Gain, a film that would have barely broke even, but he did it on a small budget (for him) and with the backing/release/P&A of a major studio behind him. For making $1billion off $200million (while no doubt getting paid handsomely for it), he also got $26m (realistically, after Prints and Advertising, $50m) of the studios money for something he really wanted to do.

Sinnertwin
14th August 2014, 06:25 PM
It needs an entire reboot following G1 and not killing off important characters.
I am not saying the movies so far are bad but it is not the cartoons where we live by. Optimus hardly ever killed anyone.

i'm glad that they've changed. "Decepticons, retreat" gets old real quick & if i wanted a G1 flavoured movie, i'd just watch the original cartoons.
As for the deaths, nobody is going to care much about about a background character that gets one in the head if they have no lines & just standt here

SMHFConvoy
14th August 2014, 06:54 PM
No. No reboots. Reboot is a horrible word look where it's gotten DC and it's "New 52." Just move forward in new direction.

Smint
14th August 2014, 07:17 PM
As for the quality of a Marvel movie? Go see a Marvel movie. It's not like there aren't enough scheduled for the next few years. I've enjoyed 'em all (well, except The First Avenger, but it wasn't terrible!). If you go in to all movies expecting Marvel quality, or hold that studio on a pedestal, eventually you'll see them tank with something - it just doesn't look like it'll be anything soon. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Nothing wrong with wanting a TF movie with same polish as a marvel movie.

When a 200 million dollar budget movie has storylines and characters worse than a 3o year old cartoon that its based, there is a problem.

reillyd
14th August 2014, 07:40 PM
We can only hope but I'm sure it's just a hollow promise:rolleyes:

Yeah, he taunted us with not returning for 4. Maybe we'll be lucky with a hear attack, lol

Lord_Zed
14th August 2014, 07:51 PM
So what's the bet if Bay does retire from Transformers and we all celebrate, until they get Brett Ratner, M. Night Shyamalan to replace him?

millhouse
14th August 2014, 08:01 PM
Nothing wrong with wanting a TF movie with same polish as a marvel movie.

When a 200 million dollar budget movie has storylines and characters worse than a 3o year old cartoon that its based, there is a problem.

I don't disagree - right now, Marvel are spinning shit into gold (seriously, who knew of GOTG a few years ago outside of hardcore comic fans?).

If TF4 was a bomb, you'd see changes. You think anyone writing the cheques is going to think any different? I'd be listening to the sounds of $1billion being counted, rather than the fanboys complaining?

I sometimes wonder though, if the G1 cartoon was based on the concept of selling products to kids, it makes you wonder - would a TF live action movie be any better if they just made the damn toys first? :P

Sinnertwin
14th August 2014, 10:02 PM
So what's the bet if Bay does retire from Transformers and we all celebrate, until they get Brett Ratner, M. Night Shyamalan to replace him?

Uwe Boll is the only suitable candidate to fill Bay's shoes
:p

VGMStudios
15th August 2014, 04:04 AM
I rather liked TF4. It was well done. A lot better then 3.
If they do TF5 I hope someone else directs it, just to see change and that they go to Cybertron or something.

Jinto
15th August 2014, 09:22 AM
If they do TF5 I hope someone else directs it, just to see change and that they go to Cybertron or something.

If they do TF5? I word, "billions".

MayzaPrime
15th August 2014, 06:39 PM

Cybertron got blown up at the end TF3... So I doubt they will be back there.

Bidoofdude
15th August 2014, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tfiguy
16th August 2014, 03:03 AM
I wish there was a like button lol

SofaMan
16th August 2014, 06:01 PM
What I'm saying is that people actively watch Michael Bay's movies and pay regularly to do so. His films make money for the most part. He delivers on time, on budget, a product that makes money. He's criticproof, in the sense that critics do not deter people going to see his films. He is an asset to Paramount.

He may be a hack, a jerk, and have the narrative sense of a dachshund, but he is, fiscally-speaking, a keeper.

Well put. I hate the fact that this is true.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2014, 01:15 AM
Did you see TF4? Did you see TF3? Did you see TF2?

If so, you're part of the problem you're complaining about.
I've watched Age of Extinction three times in cinemas but have never paid for a full ticket. I used vouchers to watch it the first two times for free, and then watched it the 3rd time at IMAX with a discount voucher. So I've watched the film 3 times, but only paid for the partial price of a single ticket. :cool:

Omega Metro
17th August 2014, 08:31 AM
I've watched Age of Extinction three times in cinemas but have never paid for a full ticket. I used vouchers to watch it the first two times for free, and then watched it the 3rd time at IMAX with a discount voucher. So I've watched the film 3 times, but only paid for the partial price of a single ticket. :cool:

I watched AOE twice, each with $10 tickets. That is all I would ever pay to watch ANY movie. Wether it's well reviewed or not.:)

Sky Shadow
17th August 2014, 12:58 PM
What I'm saying is that people actively watch Michael Bay's movies and pay regularly to do so.

But do they? I didn't know what a Michael Bay was until he made the first Transformers film. I just looked it up - he'd directed six films at that point, and even now he's still only directed seven non-Transformers films. Are people really going to watch a Michael Bay film, or are they going to watch Transformers (and Ninja Turtles)? Transformers and TMNT have more history than Michael Bay, and they have fandoms and toys and TV shows and comic books and inspire nostalgia in eighties and nineties kids. Surely the franchises are the draw, not the hack.

millhouse
18th August 2014, 02:34 PM
But do they? I didn't know what a Michael Bay was until he made the first Transformers film. I just looked it up - he'd directed six films at that point, and even now he's still only directed seven non-Transformers films. Are people really going to watch a Michael Bay film, or are they going to watch Transformers (and Ninja Turtles)? Transformers and TMNT have more history than Michael Bay, and they have fandoms and toys and TV shows and comic books and inspire nostalgia in eighties and nineties kids. Surely the franchises are the draw, not the hack.

I think you can look at Armageddon, Bad Boys, and The Rock as examples of Bay having a name for himself (after Bad Boys). Criterion released Armageddon and The Rock on DVD, so he's known (often for the worse) among cinephiles.

Bay got the TF gig because of his ability to do high dollar projects, on time, on budget, and watched by audiences. They didn't give TF to an 80s kid who loved the franchise and had no proven track record with high budget motion pictures.

The TF live action movie franchise is far bigger than Bay, but don't think he hasn't been instrumental in it's financial success.

The fact remains, for the better or worse of the franchise, Bay has been a smart business move until he moves on from it.

millhouse
18th August 2014, 02:35 PM

#partoftheproblem :P

and that's coming from the guy who owns the movies on Blu-ray (#alsopartoftheproblem #notpartofthesolution)

UltraMarginal
18th August 2014, 03:58 PM
Uwe Boll is the only suitable candidate to fill Bay's shoes
:p

NO. that's not even something to be joked about. I've watched some Uwe Boll movies to see what the fuss is about and I have no problem stating that I think he's one of the worst directors in the history of film.

There are options but not him.

Cybertron got blown up at the end TF3... So I doubt they will be back there.

Not quite, it just had a segment cut off in a space bridge, the bit that got collapsed was the segment, they don't really show what happened to the rest of the planet. There is still room for something to happen on cybertron. but that would really blow out the CG budget.

5FDP
19th August 2014, 11:54 AM
I watched AOE twice, each with $10 tickets. That is all I would ever pay to watch ANY movie. Wether it's well reviewed or not.:)

Even $10 per ticket is too much IMO. A mate of mine went to the movies with his wife and two kids the other weekend and he was telling me that it cost him over $100 for the four of them (including snacks). Personally, I hardly ever go to the movies anymore. Much prefer my home theater and the ability to pause for toilet breaks ;)

Darksaber
1st September 2014, 08:03 PM
NO. that's not even something to be joked about. I've watched some Uwe Boll movies to see what the fuss is about and I have no problem stating that I think he's one of the worst directors in the history of film.

There are options but not him.

Not quite, it just had a segment cut off in a space bridge, the bit that got collapsed was the segment, they don't really show what happened to the rest of the planet. There is still room for something to happen on cybertron. but that would really blow out the CG budget.

CG budget would prob be half of what they paid marky mark, Stanley tucci and Kelsey grammer if they didn't have them the whole damn movie could have been CG in space and on cybertron hell you may even have been able to fly into space for a few shots

Yongeltron
1st September 2014, 08:17 PM
CG budget would prob be half of what they paid marky mark, Stanley tucci and Kelsey grammer if they didn't have them the whole damn movie could have been CG in space and on cybertron hell you may even have been able to fly into space for a few shots

Just imagine how awesome it would be to finally have a Transformers movie without any of those irritating human characters hogging up screentime!!:D

Sky Shadow
1st September 2014, 09:23 PM

A very good point. I vote for this.

kup
2nd September 2014, 03:25 PM
TF4 might have snuck by to a billion because apparently the Chinese are idiots that like crap movies but I doubt TMNT will.

Everyone should now call the Chinese ambassador and apologize for your comments or they will stop lining our pockets :)