PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust

Pages : [1] 2

kaiden
2nd September 2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/masterpiece-mp23-exhaust-unveiled/31196/

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u528/L45TN7/1409632207_2_zpsebeabb1b.jpg

If you are itching to know what comes between MP-22 Ultra Magnus and MP-24 Star Saber, Taghobby has the answer in a newly revealed Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust. Being a Decepticon, Exhaust is a redeco of the upcoming MP-20 Wheeljack with a new head. The figure also seems to come two new shoulder rocket launchers and the Wheeljack Instant Immobilizer. The deco is based on a Diaclone retool of the toy that would one day become Wheeljack. It has also come to be known as Marlboor Wheeljack by most fans.

Sky Shadow
2nd September 2014, 03:43 PM
Oh yes - beautiful and bought. Glad I waited for them to do something better with the mould. (Also, hilarious name, considering the car's former sponsorship.)

kaiden
2nd September 2014, 04:00 PM
I went to the TF wiki page and its already been edited from 'unnamed' Decepticon to Exhaust.

I wonder if this will be like G2 Sideswipe and come with different decals cause I want to put Marlboor on mine.

That headsculpt is awesome...

VERT
2nd September 2014, 04:02 PM
Yes. Sold :)

1AZRAEL1
2nd September 2014, 04:12 PM
Bought. And strange that they've gone down the route of giving him a new number rather than what they did with G2 Sideswipe or Tigertracks.

And a much better accessory than a lunchbox :p

Paulbot
2nd September 2014, 04:24 PM
The Masterpiece numbered line shouldn't have retconed characters in it. Put them in the exclusives bucket. And a Decepticon because why? I don't fully believe this news, partly because there's no numbering in the pic. Not interested in this thing.

drifand
2nd September 2014, 04:32 PM
The Masterpiece numbered line shouldn't have retconed characters in it. Put them in the exclusives bucket. And a Decepticon because why? I don't fully believe this news, partly because there's no numbering in the pic. Not interested in this thing.

I am on the fence, I hated g2 when first came out.
But I question this character? Is there such a decepticon in this mode or just made up?

I may pass on it.

Okay I read more on it but still on the fence.

kaiden
2nd September 2014, 04:42 PM
the original website.

http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-1/takaratomy-arts-2015%E5%B9%B42-3%E6%9C%88%E4%BB%BD%E6%96%B0transformers%E8%A8%82% E5%96%AE%E5%9C%96/

and original text

(2) TAKARATOMY 2015年2月28日發售: TRANSFORMERS Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust
MP-23 エグゾースト

TF最高峰シリーズ「マスターピース」の大好評スポーツカーラインに新キャラクター「エグゾースト」が登場 。
ディセプティコン軍団の商品化はスポーツカーラインの中では初。
世界的に非常に人気の高い「ランチアストラトス・ターボ」のレーシングカーからロボットに変形 。
ビークルモードはフィアット社の正規ライセンスを取得。頭部やミサイルなどは新規造形パーツ。
ホイルジャックが発明したことで有名な「イモビライザー」も付属。

セット内容: エグゾースト(1),ミサイル(2),手持ち銃(1),イモビライザー(1),取扱説明書(1 )

google translate

February 28, 2015發售(2) TakaraTomy: TRANSFORMERS Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust
MP-23 Exhaust

New character "exhaust" appeared in the popular sports car line TF pinnacle series of "Masterpiece".
Commercialization of Decepticons corps for the first time is in the sports car line.
The deformed robot from racing car very popular in the world of "Lancia Stratos Turbo".
Vehicle mode is licensed copies of Fiat. Such as missiles and head the new shape parts.
Includes famous that foil Jack also invented "immobilizer".

The set includes: Exhaust (1), missile (2), immobilizer hand gun (1), Operating Instructions (1)

But I question this character? Is there such a decepticon in this mode or just made up?

yes. from what i understand - it was a diaclone tribute.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Marlboor_Wheeljack

yoshi594
2nd September 2014, 04:45 PM
Finally another decepticon! way too many autobots since soundblasters release.

UltraMarginal
2nd September 2014, 05:18 PM
I totally get what Paulbot is saying, this should be a MP-20M or something.

On the other hand, I really like the head sculpt and the paint job is a very interesting throw back to the darker days of tobacco advertising in motor sports and how it followed through to childrens product marketing.

I'm tempted.

Defcon
2nd September 2014, 05:20 PM
Well maybe this will go well as an adversary for G2 Sideswipe. Seems to be an accurate homage of the diaclone. Not thrilled about the name.

griffin
2nd September 2014, 06:07 PM
I love the fact that we are finally getting an official Marlboro toy version of Wheeljack within the Transformers universe. Just a shame that it will be an expensive toy just to have that "character".

I agree that this should follow existing JP Masterpiece numbering, in that a new number should only go to pre-existing characters. They barely got away with MP-2 Ultra Magnus by including the cardboard trailer (as a white deco Optimus on its own does not make an original Gen1 Ultra Magnus), but this sets a dangerous precedent, as it could blow out the numbers if everyone got a new number now, ruining the premium "selectiveness" of the Masterpiece line.
Black Rodimus and Nemesis Prime were new-ish characters that were redecos, and got sub-numbers (a letter at the end of an existing number), as did Tigertrack who was exactly like Marlboro Wheeljack (a pre-Transformers toy).
Even Soundblaster should have got his own number over this one, as it had Ratbat in that set.
Maybe they had already allocated 24 to Star Saber, so had to fill the gap with this figure instead because nothing else would be ready before March.

As for the name... Exhaust?
Is it supposed to be a pun on (Marlboro) cigarettes?
It's a bit of a stretch, is an awkward word for a name, so I think something else catchy should have been used.
Drag would be a better pun, but unfortunately that word is already the Japanese name for Gen1 Huffer. Cancer would have been good too, but again, already a Japanese TFs name.
Names related to Wheeljack...
Rampage was the Japanese name for Wheeljack in Armada/Superlink... but would be a problem if they ever did MP Predacons, which rules that name out just in case.
Downshift was the Hasbro name being used for "Wheeljack" during Energon because Aaron Archer thought the word Wheeljack was too evil for an Autobot... but again, another Gen1 name. (I doubt they'd ever do MP Omnibots, but they probably don't want to prevent themselves from being able to use if it a potential redeco opportunity comes along)
Does anyone have any better name ideas, since they can't call it Marlboro.

Bidoofdude
2nd September 2014, 06:15 PM
I like how it looks, but I don't think it really should have had its own number. Star Saber I can understand, but this guy, he should have been MP-20E or MP-20M.

Lord_Zed
2nd September 2014, 06:26 PM
Interesting idea this Diaclone homage. On the one hand it's pretty cool, on the other hand for me the new MP series is all about very G1 toon influenced toys (aside from G2 Sideswipe).

So not sure If I'll bite but still interesting.

This begs the question why not make Diaclone Bluestreak in blue though.:confused:

I also wonder if they will ever do a Slicer repaint, they did G2 Sideswipe after all.

spiderken17
2nd September 2014, 06:26 PM
I agree with the numbering being wrong. I Don't know why this is MP23 when its just a variation of MP20 and a nothing character. Glad I am not collecting all the MP's.

As a side note, if anyone wants Marlboro waterslide or vinyl decals for this you can get them for 1:18 scale model cars on ebay (about $10-$15 a set). They are made for all the HDT cars that were sponsored by Marlboro during the 1970's and 1980's. They are good quality as I have got some for the Brock cars in my collection.

Shirokaze
2nd September 2014, 06:30 PM
I'll be honest, I had no idea who/what this guy was and had to look it up. He looks alright to me, but not enough to buy at this point. :)

Omega Metro
2nd September 2014, 06:33 PM
Never heard of 'Exhaust':confused:

janda the red
2nd September 2014, 06:38 PM
Exhaust... You had me at hello! :p lol

drifand
2nd September 2014, 07:04 PM
May be a let down that they start "trying" the bt line of inventing new characters and pop a new head and wah la we now have a decepticon car. Thank god they not pulling a fast one using mp 11 and say this is jet fire.

If it is a Marlboro car is a definite sell point.
But is only coloured without the Marlboro decals?

I am okay with this for now, beats nothing anyway.
I think I will pond about it while I pre order starsaber first.

I am interested in his weapons.

DELTAprime
2nd September 2014, 07:24 PM
I'm surprised he is MP-23 and not MP-20X or E or whatever. I have every main line MP, I'm only missing recolours, but this might be the first MP I wait to see if he shelf warms. Since he is not a real G1 character I couldn't care less and only want him because I have all the other MP's.

Barrel05
2nd September 2014, 07:33 PM
Wonder if theyll do a Slicer

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2014, 07:37 PM
If it is a Marlboro car is a definite sell point.
But is only coloured without the Marlboro decals?

Because tobacco advertising & toys, amongst alot of other things, are a no-no these days -just look at some of the F1 Ferrari Model cars who were also sponsored by Marlboro at the time.
Anyway, decals i can live without, Reprolabels will fix that anyway, but i'm so glad that they have the Marlboro Chevron & not some other wierd abstract shape approximating it.
As for the number, i couldn't care less. It's a freakin' Marlboro Wheeljack in Masteriece form. I'm preordering this sucker on sight.

Sky Shadow
2nd September 2014, 08:01 PM
As for the number, i couldn't care less.

Exactly, it's annoying enough that people refer to Masterpiece toys by their Japanese ID numbers when that's never happened for any other line, let alone caring what the numbering actually is. I'm sure people weren't thrown into a panic in 1987 when Takara didn't release a D-91.

'Smoke' would be too much like Smokescreen. I heard someone in the supermarket say 'durries' the other day, which I don't think I've otherwise heard in twenty years. 'Lights", 'Ultralight' or 'Goldpack' would be amusing names, but again quite similar to existing toys. 'Fag' would be another Spastic/Slag/Slapper just waiting to happen. 'Hyperspeed' makes sense as it was already used for Prime.

drifand
2nd September 2014, 08:12 PM
Because tobacco advertising & toys, amongst alot of other things, are a no-no these days -just look at some of the F1 Ferrari Model cars who were also sponsored by Marlboro at the time.
Anyway, decals i can live without, Reprolabels will fix that anyway, but i'm so glad that they have the Marlboro Chevron & not some other wierd abstract shape approximating it.
As for the number, i couldn't care less. It's a freakin' Marlboro Wheeljack in Masteriece form. I'm preordering this sucker on sight.

Yup fair enough about decals, I will wait and see.

Sharky
2nd September 2014, 08:19 PM
i would of rather seen them attempt to do Slicer....

Paulbot
2nd September 2014, 08:21 PM
There's a mainline of Masterpiece toys and there's the variants/exclusives things for the novelty stuff.

Soundblaster as an actual G1 Transformer Toy and Anime character and come with Ratbat an actual G1 Transformer Toy, Anime and comic character. That makes it more worthy of a place in the mainline than a new character based on a pre-TF toy and a background cameo in a Dreamwave comic. I'd argue that Slicer has more of a place in the mainline than Exhaust does.

Exhaust should exist, but it's a variant/exclusive/novely for Diaclone fans. It reminds me somewhat of when it was decided that a black Alternator/Binaltech Sunstreaker called Dead End or a yellow Hound is Swindle. The Masterpiece line does need some more Decepticons but I don't think this is the way.

twincobra
2nd September 2014, 08:24 PM
Love the deco and new head, sold! :)

drifand
2nd September 2014, 08:42 PM
So what if they just make a lockdown head and pop into the Lambor, is this going to be a trend of things?

gamblor916
2nd September 2014, 08:50 PM
So going by the numbering this isn't an exclusive and will be available through the regular retailers like HLJ? I hope so as this is going to be pre-ordered as soon as it appears.

lancalot
2nd September 2014, 09:00 PM
his face looks like a vehicon ! imagine have a whole bunch of him in black!! lol

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2014, 09:04 PM
So what if they just make a lockdown head and pop into the Lambor, is this going to be a trend of things?

No. For one he's an Aventador, not a Countach and Lockdown wasn't a Diaclone toy that was made into a Transformers character. The choice of vehicle, head, paint job, blue wings & windows, it was done 34 years ago

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd September 2014, 09:19 PM
OK TakaraTomy, you win this round. Albeit with some probable help from Reprolabels.
Stoopid self-imposed "No doubles of same characters/molds unless there's a vaguely canonical reason for said" rule...

Cancer would have been good too, but again, already a Japanese TFs name.Oh sure, give me the perfect, as-yet-unused-in-the-Odieverse name for him too...:p

Ah well, I still do quite like Generations Wheeljack.

ChlorHex
2nd September 2014, 09:32 PM
I haven't touched the smaller scale MP cars but this will be the one I'll HAVE to buy... Always liked the Diaclone Wheeljack and this updated version just rocks.
Gotta and gonna get this bot :)

Deonasis
2nd September 2014, 10:23 PM
Exhaust looks insane!

kaiden
2nd September 2014, 10:36 PM
I'd love to see Slicer and an eventual 3P Action Master vehicle.

liegeprime
2nd September 2014, 10:44 PM
I want this. Im getting it! :) Love the head sculpt!

Starscream77
2nd September 2014, 10:47 PM
I am on the fence with this one.
I like the look and with some Malboro repro labels he will be smoking (couldn't help it)
But with a growing MP line do I HAVE to get him... just not sure

GoktimusPrime
2nd September 2014, 10:57 PM
Hhmmm... I'll preorder this if I can do so at below RRP, otherwise pass. :o

Regarding the name, keep in mind that this toy is being marketed at a non-Anglophone Japanese market, so names like Durries, Smokes, Ciggies etc. would be meaningless to the target demographic. So would Fags (so it'd be free of controversy, but also devoid of meaning). If it were up to me, I'd name this toy High Gun (ハイガン). Seems like a plausible enough TF name for a non-English speaking JP market, but "High Gun" also sounds like "Hai Gan" (肺癌), which is Japanese for 'lung cancer.'

Tetsuwan Convoy
2nd September 2014, 11:07 PM
Marle Burra. :p

plausible enough TF name for a non-English speaking JP market, but "High Gun" also sounds like "Hai Gan" (肺癌), which is Japanese for 'lung cancer.'
lol. I support this.

Tempted to buy him on the historical fact alone.

Will need to find some tampos for him though

liegeprime
2nd September 2014, 11:09 PM
Marle Burra. :p

lol. I support this.

Tempted to buy him on the historical fact alone.

Will need to find some tampos for him though

most likely Reprolabels will come out with some, just give em time heheheh

ITZTRU
2nd September 2014, 11:29 PM
I'm with those who disagree on Exhaust having his own designated number. If they repaint MP-22 UM in Diaclone colors and designate him to MP-25, I'll crack the wobblies.

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2014, 11:58 PM
I'm with those who disagree on Exhaust having his own designated number. If they repaint MP-22 UM in Diaclone colors and designate him to MP-25, I'll crack the wobblies.

But you'll still buy him, right?
:p

kurdt_the_goat
3rd September 2014, 02:29 AM
... but i'm so glad that they have the Marlboro Chevron & not some other wierd abstract shape approximating it.

They're playing it a little safe actually, the proper chevron is sharp in the middle while Exhaust's looks a touch rounded.

Whilst i agree he probably should have been numbered differently, i'm surprised anyone cares enough to complain.

They've done a good job matching his deco to the Diaclone toy, but i'll be waiting to see how much i like the mold before deciding... cause to me the red/blue and head design is pretty ugly, and the white makes it not very different from regular Wheeljack. I would have preferred Slicer in Action Master colours, now that's good lookin'! :D

I am glad they've decided to do Diaclone variants though, if it sells well enough, it might help in getting other characters made (that would otherwise have minimal repaint potential)

Ultra Mackness
3rd September 2014, 05:13 AM
Yes. Just yes! :)

BigTransformerTrev
3rd September 2014, 07:09 AM
Wonder if theyll do a Slicer

i would of rather seen them attempt to do Slicer....

Yep -I would have been happier with a Slicer, but chances are he will still turn up to get yet another use out of the mold. Just a simple recolour and take the wings off ;)

Akky82
3rd September 2014, 09:06 AM
I don't mind it, but I think the only way I'd get it is to put him and smokescreen on MP UM or dia stack, I'm not keen on the head, and same with smokescreen, otherwise i display everything robot mode. A choice of decals would be good, or hopefully easy to repro label something.

I agree about the lack of decepticons lately, but if they could make MP-25 be Jazz or Tracks, I would be so happy. Of course then they could do stepper orred tracks, which i'm sure would both be popular.

SuspectimusPrime
3rd September 2014, 09:24 AM
I went to the TF wiki page and its already been edited from 'unnamed' Decepticon to Exhaust.

I wonder if this will be like G2 Sideswipe and come with different decals cause I want to put Marlboor on mine.

That headsculpt is awesome...

most likely Reprolabels will come out with some, just give em time heheheh

Can't wait til Reprolabels get their offerings out!

theshape
3rd September 2014, 09:31 AM
This one is cool. Dont have to spend 5 grand on the diaclone one. Can spend the 4930 on hookers and cocaine ;)

Jaisun
3rd September 2014, 09:40 AM
I can generally be quite pedantic with things like numbering systems and such, but in this case, I am surprised with the quantity of comments against his number. I might have missed something, but I don't recall quite the upstir when Ha$bro started their own MP numbering when TakTom were up to MP-18, so when you say Masterpiece Soundwave, it's now followed by "MP-13/TakTom or MP-02/Ha$bro?", let alone Ha$bro's prior MP's having nothing at all. I get that's more of an inconsistency issue with Ha$bro than TakTom, but I was just quite surprised with criticism based on a release number. I do agree with a couple of points made that all (to my knowledge) sub numbers are exclusive, and often tied to the original in some way being an evil clone or duplicate etc, and remaining essentially the same mold (again, as far as I know). So maybe they wanted a brand new character to have a wider release than be a limited exclusive. I know there was "new character" Tigertracks, but he just looks like Sideswipe & Sunstreaker got jiggy and retained Sideswipes' looks. This guy, to me, looks like a new character with a new head, not just a redeco.

My thoughts on this guy:

Do I know him? No (but neither do any of us). Do I think he fits in with the MP aesthetic? Yeah, I kinda do, because Wheeljack is deco'd in Alitalia livery, common for 70's/80's motorsports, and Exhaust is deco'd in Marlboro, another common livery of the era. So to me, these two guys can rep their era of motorsport quite nicely (along with Smokescreen) =o) This is an obviously biased opinion seeing as I LOVE 70's/80's/90's motorsport (particularly rally), but none the less, I think he matches Wheeljack well enough to fit in, even if he isn't exactly G1.

I do like his headsculpt, although I don't get a very G1 vibe from it, maybe a little more like Prime...?

I can live with the name, it's not the greatest, but I can see how it fits, and it's not like they called him Seawinch or anything unrelated (there's plenty of other names I find more daggy =oP). Let's keep in mind TF's are 30 years old now, they aren't exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to cool names, both from those previously used, to any that have a slight chance at causing offence in a certain demographic. With that in mind, I think Exhaust works well enough =o)

Like others have said, I'm glad to see another D-con, but my main criticism of this guy would be his allegiance... I get a 'light' vibe from his deco, not a sinister one, so I would've preferred this be Wheeljacks long lost brother, so then you've got Sideswipe & Sunstreaker rep'ing the road races and Wheeljack & Exhaust rep'ing the circuits =o) (Then Smokescreen needs a bro to rep rally, and I can die happy XD)

Oh, and name suggestion for shiggles: Wheelbro XD

BigTransformerTrev
3rd September 2014, 09:41 AM
This one is cool. Dont have to spend 5 grand on the diaclone one. Can spend the 4930 on hookers and cocaine ;)

I think you would make an excellent politician and would like to vote for whichever party you represenet :D :p

Alpha Supreme
3rd September 2014, 11:09 AM
Hmmm the head sculpt doesn't seem to fit for my liking... I will stick to Wheeljack myself :) Enjoy for those you are excited!!!

UltraMarginal
3rd September 2014, 11:36 AM
But you'll still buy him, right?
:p

Probably not, I have no attachment to the Diaclone colours of Magnus at all.

haha, shiggles:cool:

on the names side of things, is marlboor a version of the Marlboro brand somewhere, I would have thought that would be a good alternative.

This will be the second Mold of Wheeljack repainted into Marlboro colours in as many years. interesting.

drifand
3rd September 2014, 11:46 AM
This is still probably worth as a collector's item. I am not sure I want to display this guy at all with the rest of my mps.

Initial_G
3rd September 2014, 12:02 PM
I think it's good that there's another Decepticon but personally I'm not really liking the look of it. Also, I think because there's no attachment to the G1 line ... not that I know of anyway.

gdmetro
3rd September 2014, 12:49 PM
Wow. This is one of the 2 diaclone repaints that are must buys for me- the other being blue blue streak.

The only question is: should the eventual stickers say Marlboro or malboor?

Probably can't print malboro at risk of
being sued..

Sinnertwin
3rd September 2014, 01:29 PM
I'd much prefer Marlboro, but i suppose Marlboor would be ok, much like Citanes instead of Gitanes, Alitalla instead of Alitalia or Martinii instead of Martini.

If all else fails, Spiderken suggested

As a side note, if anyone wants Marlboro waterslide or vinyl decals for this you can get them for 1:18 scale model cars on ebay (about $10-$15 a set). They are made for all the HDT cars that were sponsored by Marlboro during the 1970's and 1980's. They are good quality as I have got some for the Brock cars in my collection.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/list.aspx?list=16764

MayzaPrime
3rd September 2014, 05:37 PM
Maybe they had already allocated 24 to Star Saber, so had to fill the gap with this figure instead because nothing else would be ready before March.

I think this is the case, there is no way the next figure would have been ready by March, so Takara used Exhaust as a filler.

I love my MP repaint/retool and I really don't care if its MP23 or MP20E. I will be buying this and it is going to look awesome with my 'exclusive' MPs

Trent
3rd September 2014, 05:57 PM
Looks like a vehicon.

Colour me underwhelmed.

Sinnertwin
3rd September 2014, 07:39 PM
i don't know about Exhaust being a filler character. Surely TT are able to keep count of which MP is which number & would've been the plan all along.

I think that a TT, unlike the previous repaints have decided that there's enough of a difference to give him his own number.

crankcase76
3rd September 2014, 08:16 PM
About time we got some more decepticons. :)

GoktimusPrime
4th September 2014, 09:51 AM
Regarding the appeal of this toy; for me, the appeal is equivalent to the reissued Diaclone/Microman Transformers via eHobby (e.g. Road Rage, Overcharge, Magnificus, Crosscut, Insecticon Army, Cobalt Sentries etc.). When news of these toys came out, I personally jumped on pre-ordering them as it was a great chance to own reissues of Diaclone/Microman figures, only that they were canonically included into the Transformers universe. :) Take Road Rage for example. Okay, there's a really cool character backstory attached with the toy, but the primary appeal for me was to finally own the red Tracks character who appeared on the 1985 packaging art! Made even cooler by becoming an independent character from Tracks. ;)

The G1 Wheeljack mould is unavailable, so it's highly unlikely that we'll see a reissue of that toy, let alone a retool as a reissue Marlboorjack. So I reckon that retooling MP Wheeljack as Marlboorjack is the next best thing (retooling Generations/United Wheeljack could work too ;)). I'm never going to pay whatever insane prices that the Diaclone toy is going for on the aftermarket (which isn't even officially a Transformer anyway); but this toy allows us to own something that is a clear tribute to that Diaclone toy, and is officially a Transformer. Yes, the appeal is very niche - and I'm quite surprised that TakaraTOMY are releasing it as a regular store release rather than a limited exclusive. I hope that it works out for them though and entices them to do more.

Okay, as a Hasbro G1 TF fan, sure, I would've personally preferred an MP Slicer. But Slicer is even more obscure to the Japanese market since they never got any of the Action Masters. And given that Exhaust is already going to be a retooled Wheeljack as an MP Decepticon, I'm not sure if the Japanese market could sustain an MP Slicer even as a limited exclusive now (it might've been more viable if they never did Exhaust). But there would certainly be more interest among Japanese fans for an MP Marlboorjack than Slicer. I reckon Hasbro could do an MP Slicer... but we know they won't. :rolleyes:

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th September 2014, 10:24 AM
Wheelbro XD
Nice! :D

On the subject of numbering, did Skywarp get his own number?

Sinnertwin
4th September 2014, 10:34 AM
Nice! :D

On the subject of numbering, did Skywarp get his own number?

Yep. Number 6 and the boring blue one was Number 7.

Defcon
4th September 2014, 10:55 AM
The name Exhaust is growing on me because I'm struggling to think of a better alternative that makes sense ;) So essentially this guy is like an evil clone of Wheeljack. Should we expect the same for Bumblebee? most likely eh

Thurmus
4th September 2014, 11:04 AM
Exhaust works for me when you think of the Malboro angle as well.

griffin
4th September 2014, 11:12 AM

For some reason I hear that name said in a Kiwi accent.

Need a Wheel bro?
Choice bro.

:p :o

Kranix
4th September 2014, 12:02 PM
I wont be getting this guy but a lot of people seem to want him so it's pretty cool that they get that opportunity. If he sells well it does make it more likely that Tracks might end up getting the MP treatment I would think. I am hoping that MP 25 might end up being Jazz/Meister! Although I am starting to wonder if we will end up seeing TT MP-11 versions of Skywarp and Thundercracker. I really hope we do.

Sky Shadow
4th September 2014, 12:47 PM
So essentially this guy is like an evil clone of Wheeljack. Should we expect the same for Bumblebee? most likely eh

A white Bumblebee as Bug Bite seems like a good reuse of the mould. Which is arguably why Exhaust is getting a mainline release - it's a way of recouping the costs of making Wheeljack.

Akky82
4th September 2014, 01:12 PM
A white Bumblebee as Bug Bite seems like a good reuse of the mould. Which is arguably why Exhaust is getting a mainline release - it's a way of recouping the costs of making Wheeljack.

Suppose it's too much to think they'd retool a bunch of panels and try and get a Cliffjumper? As for Exhaust, colour has grown on me, he will be a definite, but the head as others have said, not really g1 style so alt mode it is.

UltraMarginal
4th September 2014, 03:40 PM
This article (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19317#post433735)that Paulbot has written, is very interesting and has made me more interested in the new character. Especially given the origins of the head mold.

Other
4th September 2014, 04:29 PM
Suppose it's too much to think they'd retool a bunch of panels and try and get a Cliffjumper? As for Exhaust, colour has grown on me, he will be a definite, but the head as others have said, not really g1 style so alt mode it is.

Cliffjumper if done accurately to his real life vehicle modes proportions is so different proportioned a car that 'reshelling' would probably be impossible.

spiderken17
4th September 2014, 06:17 PM
I imagine we will see Ratchet and Ironhide in the near future as it is another mould they can get multiple characters out of. I would get both and a Jazz for sure.
They could also redo Bumblebee as Goldbug and use that mould again.
Saying that, some non-Seeker decepticons would be nice (not an obscure character like Exhaust).

Hursticon
4th September 2014, 09:29 PM
Preorder is up at Anime-Export (http://www.anime-export.com/product/21380#.VAhGQCp3asA.twitter): ¥4,550 + Postage. :cool:

Sinnertwin
7th September 2014, 05:42 PM
Come oooonnnnn HLJ

drifand
7th September 2014, 06:27 PM
Wonder what's up with the rest of the jp stores, I would have thought they would launch them by now.

nexusnixx
8th September 2014, 10:07 AM
Wonder what's up with the rest of the jp stores, I would have thought they would launch them by now.

Awaiting for their allotment from Takaratomy? Or maybe waiting to see what competitors are pushing their pricing at? It boils down to reputation of store, postage cost now.

Other
8th September 2014, 11:27 AM
Places like RobotKingdom and BBTS put up preorders whenever because it doesn't matter to them. All the Japanese retailers have to wait until the preorders are supposed to open to put them up.

Ultra Mackness
9th September 2014, 05:15 AM
Looks like some more photos or at least better photos:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp23-exhaust-full-colour-images/31238/

I've recovered a bit from my initial reaction to this guy, but I think the combination of paint job reminiscent of Marlboor along with the head sculpt (which actually reminds me more of a Battle of the Planets bad guy) work well together to appeal to me. Like Star Saber, I'm not 100% but a solid sneeze would probably push me over the edge and into a purchase.

drahsrebu
9th September 2014, 07:36 AM
HLJ has this guy up for preorder now

Hursticon
9th September 2014, 07:50 AM
HLJ has this guy up for preorder now

Here's your linky! ¥5,200 + Postage (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT81693/Sci). :cool:

gamblor916
9th September 2014, 09:28 AM
Nice! Pre-ordered this badboy.

Sinnertwin
9th September 2014, 09:47 AM
Here's your linky! ¥5,200 + Postage (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT81693/Sci). :cool:

And it's time to wave goodbye to the BBTS orders. Cheers Drahsrebu & Hursti :)

drahsrebu
9th September 2014, 01:44 PM
And it's time to wave goodbye to the BBTS orders. Cheers Drahsrebu & Hursti :)

no probs dude, just helping out my fellow bots.

if anyone uses twitter you should follow hurst and myself ( @drahsrebu, @hursticon ), we usually link on there first

BigTransformerTrev
9th September 2014, 02:00 PM
Was looking at some more pics of him today. Is that a moustache he is sporting?

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2014, 10:29 PM
It's his mouth.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/exhaust_mouthes_zps7f8eec5a.jpg

Paulbot
9th September 2014, 10:54 PM
Are we sure it's his mouth?

Who's to say Exhaust isn't a Fembot? There's just something a little Blackarachnia-y in that head design or maybe it's just me.

Starscream77
9th September 2014, 10:58 PM

Who's to say Exhaust isn't a Fembot? There's just something a little Blackarachnia-y in that head design or maybe it's just me.

Cannot unsee it now !!!!:D

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2014, 11:07 PM
It personally reminds me of Impactor Logia (http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/gransazers/back/16_1.jpg) from Gransazer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iag2wqeaHOY). :o

kurdt_the_goat
9th September 2014, 11:52 PM
I'd say it's his mouth :D

http://i.imgur.com/ZaZLRA5.jpg

Amazon has the rest in high resolution now (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%88%E3%83%9F%E3%8 3%BC-%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%95%E3%8 2%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%94%E3%8 3%BC%E3%82%B9-MP-23-%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B0%E3%82%BE%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%8 3%88/dp/B00NDW5U70/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1410270455&sr=1-1&keywords=mp-23)

Trent
10th September 2014, 12:09 AM
I really hope that like TigerTrack the Decepticon logo is optional. Being the diaclone homage that it is I'd hate to see them try and shoehorn it into the Decepticon ranks.

drifand
10th September 2014, 12:21 AM
Doesn't look optional at this point it seems but I agree it would be nice.

Sinnertwin
10th September 2014, 12:21 AM

You may be onto something there, Paul

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w661/sinnertwinsphotos/images-3_zpsdff7eb73.jpeg (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/sinnertwinsphotos/media/images-3_zpsdff7eb73.jpeg.html)

kaiden
10th September 2014, 12:24 AM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091115221239/kamenrider/images/b/bf/KRDK_all_Kamen_Rider.jpg

looks like kamen rider to me.

Hursticon
10th September 2014, 01:09 AM
Ami-Ami APPARENTLY had preorders go up at some point? (NOW SOLD OUT) :rolleyes::p
¥4,900 + Postage (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-007800).

Hobby-Search have theirs up & available though :D:
¥5,525 + Postage (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10291173).

HUGE thanks to Drahsrebu however for getting the word out to we Twitter mob (https://twitter.com/drahsrebu/status/509092429463449602) this morning, whilst trying to get his little one ready for school! ;):cool:

geoffiez89
10th September 2014, 07:43 AM
Wow preorders at amiami closed already i got mine in on monday...

drifand
10th September 2014, 10:16 AM
Wow preorders at amiami closed already i got mine in on monday...

You manage to get one at amiami? You should buy lotto.
I have zero chances with them for most toys.

geoffiez89
10th September 2014, 06:46 PM
haha im actually quite a big amiami fan, i buy all my power ranger and super sentai figurines from there so check quite frequently, exhaust was actually up for a few days star saber on other hand instant preorder sell out

Other
11th September 2014, 12:02 PM
I really hope that like TigerTrack the Decepticon logo is optional. Being the diaclone homage that it is I'd hate to see them try and shoehorn it into the Decepticon ranks.

It's in the right spot and size that it could get covered up by a sticker to give it more accurate livery which must be pretty deliberate

theshape
12th September 2014, 09:45 AM
Nippon-yassan has pre-orders available (4680 yen)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=masterpiece&submit_search=Search

BigTransformerTrev
12th September 2014, 12:20 PM
It's his mouth.

I'd say it's his mouth :D

I might have considered buying him if it was a moustache - an 80's stache would have gone very well with the cigarette theme - like I was buying the TF equivalent of Big Merv or Boonie :D

drifand
12th September 2014, 02:28 PM
Just pretend it is one , don't worry too much.
I even got over g2 sideswipe smirk face

Trent
12th September 2014, 04:30 PM
G2 SIdeswipes face makes the figure. How could you not love it?:confused:

drifand
13th September 2014, 12:37 AM
G2 SIdeswipes face makes the figure. How could you not love it?:confused:

I didn't understand it but it grew on to me and now I like it as the best Lambor for mp.

liegeprime
13th September 2014, 01:17 AM
It's kinda odd though after skimming thru the recently released Masterpiece guidebook, they didn't feature anything about Exhaust at all, and yet they have a lot of pics pertaining to Starsaber... hmmmm

MayzaPrime
13th September 2014, 05:54 PM
It's kinda odd though after skimming thru the recently released Masterpiece guidebook, they didn't feature anything about Exhaust at all, and yet they have a lot of pics pertaining to Starsaber... hmmmm

It kinds of validates my theory that Exhaust was an afterthought as they needed to fill the MP-23 void, rather than him being MP-20E.

drifand
13th September 2014, 07:01 PM
Probably needed approval as it was going to be a decepticon that nobody heard of.

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2014, 11:41 AM
Hope noone ordered through bbts.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/problem-with-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp23-exhaust-and-marlboros-parent-company-phillip-morris/31686/

Infringes on trademarks owned by Malboro

This mark is found on the hood/roof of the MP-23 car in red, and also in smaller green shapes on the left and right fenders. They are concerned because these marks cannot be used on products that could be intended for children as dictated by the Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement*

janda the red
22nd November 2014, 11:52 AM
Oh.... that sucks ass!

Time to look elsewhere I suppose, any recommendations on who I should use?

:)

drifand
22nd November 2014, 12:12 PM
Hope noone ordered through bbts.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/problem-with-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp23-exhaust-and-marlboros-parent-company-phillip-morris/31686/

Infringes on trademarks owned by Malboro

Really? There is no Marlboro trade marks as far as I am concerned is a red and white car. Wow, I thought Apple was bad.

kaiden
22nd November 2014, 12:27 PM
huh. clever. im surprised they paid any attention to this.

drifand
22nd November 2014, 12:38 PM
huh. clever. im surprised they paid any attention to this.

I have this feeling someone leaked it to Marlboro . It can't be they knew this out of nowhere.

Ode to a Grasshopper
22nd November 2014, 12:58 PM
I want this even more now. Praise be for living in Japan.

Still, it's got me thinking...maybe we could get an Australian-exclusive "Plain Packaging" variant in that vaguely puke-coloured olive-green shade, with those graphic health warnings on the hood. Use a few different health warning versions and make it an army-builder...it'd drive the completists nuts.:D

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2014, 01:03 PM
Early pictures had Malboor logos on it.

http://s14.postimg.org/4res0e0pd/Diaclone_Transformers_Wheeljack_Marlboor_www_blo.j pg

With how sensitive their laws are over there, I'm not surprisedby the move by bbts to pull it from preorders.

As with anything, collectors will find other sources for the figure. I nabbed mine from hlj when he went up. Dunno if there are any left though.

kaiden
22nd November 2014, 01:07 PM
Early pictures had Malboor logos on it.

http://s14.postimg.org/4res0e0pd/Diaclone_Transformers_Wheeljack_Marlboor_www_blo.j pg

With how sensitive their laws are over there, I'm not surprisedby the move by bbts to pull it from preorders.

As with anything, collectors will find other sources for the figure. I nabbed mine from hlj when he went up. Dunno if there are any left though.

I don't remember that, but I do remember the chevrons never being sharp.

MayzaPrime
22nd November 2014, 01:45 PM
I am glad that I pre-ordered from RK :D

griffin
22nd November 2014, 02:28 PM
I don't blame BBTS for covering themselves, as tobacco lawsuits have been a big issue over there, so if their brand is remotely associated with a kids product (toys), it could hurt them in future settlements.
I'd imagine the same would happen here if we had any big online dealer, due to Australian laws against kids and tobacco.

theshape
22nd November 2014, 02:29 PM
Really? Aren't these sold as adult collectable? It's easier to get a gun in the USA...

drifand
22nd November 2014, 03:04 PM
Really? Aren't these sold as adult collectable? It's easier to get a gun in the USA...

I can guarantee someone leaked and dope bbts. Such a product would have fall under radar. It is quite obvious someone tipped Marlboro off.

But that image is some one who customised to the Marlboro decals so it isn't the actual product.

kaiden
22nd November 2014, 03:18 PM

I agree with you - its so ridiculous. well in America, kids can legally own a gun....... (http://www.smh.com.au/world/theres-nothing-wrong-with-kids-firing-guns-in-30-american-states-a-child-can-legally-own-a-rifle-20140827-109a31.html) as is their 2nd amendment? but have to be 18 before they can smoke *rolls eyes*

but the thing is, while its sold as an adult collectible toy, BBTS and other retailers don't enforce a minimum age to buy them. therefore, any kid can sign up and buy a toy with their parents credit card.

griffin
22nd November 2014, 03:57 PM
A toy can be labelled as an "adult collectable", but it is still a "toy". And to the majority of people who don't see a difference, a toy is a kid's concept.

If a toy product has labelling or imagery that implies a tobacco product or brand, then it is too risky in America to sell it.

nexusnixx
22nd November 2014, 04:02 PM
Is this done to boost the sale of this MP after all its not s well known character.

Just like TRU had to clear away the "Breaking Bad" toy line after consumers felt it was not an appropriate toy. Come on i am sure any toy TRU wanted to bring in or make has to go thru some sort of mgmt decision.

drifand
22nd November 2014, 06:49 PM
I bought it based on the fact it was a worthy collectible .
I don't smoke at all but it made more sense to get it over a Tokyo exclusive silver streak.

AJ_Prime
22nd November 2014, 06:53 PM
That's not all that was affected unfortunately. I also ordered the Ocean Design stickers for MP Wheeljack and they have been pulled too until something gets sorted out. If not, those pre-orders won't be filled.

Shame.

Bidoofdude
22nd November 2014, 08:31 PM
Who even orders MPs from BBTS unless they absolutely have to?

kaiden
22nd November 2014, 09:06 PM

Americans?

drifand
22nd November 2014, 09:07 PM

There are a number as they get hasbro stuff and like using the pile to save on shipping.

I have not bought from bbts yet but I would not condemn them entirely as they do have a good order feature.

However is like hlj warehouse . Each to their own, I still find buying from Japanese online stores are cheaper without the exclusive coins or gifts. So you need to weigh up what's more important.

Sinnertwin
22nd November 2014, 09:20 PM
No more Marlboro stickers?... :(
meh, somebody else will print some up

drifand
22nd November 2014, 09:30 PM
No more Marlboro stickers?... :(
meh, somebody else will print some up

I don't think any American based or western based company can risk it we might need to custom make them.

GoktimusPrime
22nd November 2014, 10:44 PM
...yet it was okay for AoE Hound to be "smoking" a "cigar." :rolleyes: :p
I've read some fan comments suggesting that this may be more about trademark issues w/ a tobacco company rather than protecting children from tobacco advertising on an adult collectible toy. :rolleyes: Just to clarify, this only affects Exhausts sold from US based stores and as mine's preordered from Japan-based HLJ, it shouldn't affect me, right?

crankcase76
22nd November 2014, 10:51 PM
I have mine ordered with TFSource. Wonder if they have the same trouble?

kaiden
22nd November 2014, 10:52 PM
I've read some fan comments suggesting that this may be more about trademark issues w/ a tobacco company rather than protecting children from tobacco advertising on an adult collectible toy. :rolleyes: Just to clarify, this only affects Exhausts sold from US based stores and as mine's preordered from Japan-based HLJ, it shouldn't affect me, right?

they quoted an American law which is only legal in America, so you shouldn't be affected.

drifand
22nd November 2014, 10:53 PM

Yup should be fine it was same issue like harmony gold and macross.
Except this is a tobacco company.

Magnus
22nd November 2014, 11:21 PM
I've read some fan comments suggesting that this may be more about trademark issues w/ a tobacco company rather than protecting children from tobacco advertising on an adult collectible toy. :rolleyes:

It's likely a bit of both. While copyright may be an issue, there is a regulation that prevents tobacco advertising on 'toys'. This change is prominently seen on diecast model cars - a lot of diecast F1 cars don't have tobacco branding on them, instead having either blank spaces or a 'barcode' where the branding would have been.

Trent
23rd November 2014, 06:54 AM
I want this even more now. Praise be for living in Japan

I've seen a lot of posts like this as well as people saying they weren't interested it Exhaust before but are now scrambling to preorder it.

Strange mentality. Being not interested in something until they're told they can't have it. It would appear that this has done Takara a favour and. Boosted sales :rolleyes:

drifand
23rd November 2014, 09:39 AM
I did foresee this happening, but it was because it was a good variant from wheeljack, I bought this. Frankly speaking if they didn't make him a deception , I might appreciate it more.

Now to get me some Marlboro decals, looks like 1/24 scale is the closest.

Edit: found 1/43 and 1/32 for about $12 delivered.

Sinnertwin
23rd November 2014, 01:14 PM
Strange mentality. Being not interested in something until they're told they can't have it. It would appear that this has done Takara a favour and. Boosted sales :rolleyes:

so true. funny how it works out like that, isn't it?

kaiden
23rd November 2014, 01:19 PM
so true. funny how it works out like that, isn't it?

you can't have it.

Sinnertwin
23rd November 2014, 01:27 PM
you can't have it.

i. want. it. now!

nsm034
23rd November 2014, 03:48 PM
they came up on preorder just the other day on hlj and i grabbed one , lucky

GoktimusPrime
23rd November 2014, 05:29 PM
they quoted an American law which is only legal in America, so you shouldn't be affected.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/baby_yes_zps2dff2f82.jpg
Yup. ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/meme_exhaust_zps85086cff.jpg

they came up on preorder just the other day on hlj and i grabbed one , lucky
You could say it was a lucky strike (http://www.cigarettesreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/22.jpg). :p :p

nsm034
23rd November 2014, 07:59 PM
You could say it was a lucky strike (http://www.cigarettesreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/22.jpg). :p :p

lol, yes it was. Wonder if these will be the most scalped mp ?

drifand
23rd November 2014, 09:10 PM
lol, yes it was. Wonder if these will be the most scalped mp ?

Can get it pretty cheap at other stores, UNLESS TT got a notice warning not to sell it. Its not a big thing as yet.

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd November 2014, 10:04 PM

BA HA HA HA HA HA!
Made my night!

Barrel05
24th November 2014, 02:26 PM

I use them and have never had a problem

Akky82
24th November 2014, 02:38 PM
I use them and have never had a problem

I think he's more talking price, rather than service etc.

I cancelled my star saber pre-order at HLJ and went to cancel this but phone went flat and i forgot about it. Weeks later and I'm glad I didnt, not because of the news, but after seeing the real life car pics :-)

Bidoofdude
24th November 2014, 02:46 PM

I think they're pulling a Harmony-Gold, rather than caring about actual tobacco advertising.

drifand
24th November 2014, 03:08 PM
I think they're pulling a Harmony-Gold, rather than caring about actual tobacco advertising.

ditto.

BUT I think someone leaked this, I do not expect a tobacco company to be so on the ball.

nsm034
13th December 2014, 09:48 PM
he has disappeared from HLJ site also but is still in my pre order list so ????

DELTAprime
14th December 2014, 12:06 AM
he has disappeared from HLJ site also but is still in my pre order list so ????

Sigh. I was hoping the Japanese would be OK with it since they smoke like chimneys and have a better understanding that not all toys are for kids. Oh well I guess TT will have to cancel Exhaust. He has probably already been produced also so I doubt they can change the paint job to something else at this stage.

drifand
14th December 2014, 12:36 AM
This is going to be interesting, I wonder those of us pre ordered will get it?
Kind of blows if this piece is cancelled as I have the Marlboro decals.
Not to mention the entire numbering system has to be redone if they cannot release exhaust.

Still available at robot kingdom though.

kaiden
14th December 2014, 12:21 PM
This is going to be interesting, I wonder those of us pre ordered will get it?
Kind of blows if this piece is cancelled as I have the Marlboro decals.
Not to mention the entire numbering system has to be redone if they cannot release exhaust.

Still available at robot kingdom though.

yeah, RK only cancelled orders to the US

drifand
14th December 2014, 12:33 PM
yeah, RK only cancelled orders to the US

How the hell US knows which is going? Isn't that intrusion of privacy?

I have a bad feeling that this toy has broken gov laws of smoke ads rather than Marlboro making a deal

CBratron
14th December 2014, 01:23 PM

That's what I hear. Something about trademark infringement and the red/white 'roof' logo.

drifand
14th December 2014, 01:32 PM
That's what I hear. Something about trademark infringement and the red/white 'roof' logo.

Is not a infringement without the words though.

Funny how this is taken seriously while ko are running around with no issues?

GoktimusPrime
14th December 2014, 02:21 PM

Funny how this is taken seriously while ko are running around with no issues?
Philip Morris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Morris_USA#Legal_Action) =/= TakaraTOMY/Hasbro

griffin
14th December 2014, 02:46 PM

You can trademark images (visual logos) as well as words (name logos).

Look on the cans of coke, and they will (or used to) say that the "ribbon" was trademarked (as well as the name)... so if anyone tried to sell something in that category with a "coca cola ribbon" on the packaging, they could be sued for it.
The golden arches on McDonalds (http://mydigitalwhiteboard.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/mcdonalds_packaging_from_lifestyles_to_food-quality1.jpg) is trademarked as well, which is registering the way the M is written, not the M itself.

Same with these tobacco brands - they register their imagery as well as their names, because that was the whole problem here when the Australian Government forced the companies to have plain packaging. This was because they paid a lot of money for their trademarked names and visual logos, and were being prevented from using them to promote and sell their products. Marlboro would be identified by their red logo... and if something is produced (like this toy) that has that red logo (with or without the accompanying name) to imply their product or sell base on that product, they have the rights to prevent someone else from making money off their expensive trademark... in the countries they are registered in under that category.
There are about 50 categories of Trademarks, so if Marlboro don't have the trademark of that visual logo in the Toys category in Australia, they wouldn't be able to object.... however, there may be Federal Government laws prohibiting the sale of Toys that relate to or promote cigarettes.
(I remember those musk-type candy sticks in the 80s that were called "Fags" and looked like a packet of cigarettes... later they had to be called Fads and not look like a pack of fags, and now I don't think they are sold here anymore due to not having the same "adult" gimmick for kids to want anymore.)

Krayt
14th December 2014, 03:32 PM
Fads are still around.... But lost the red "ink" off the end to look "lit"

drifand
14th December 2014, 05:03 PM
I still disagree is a logo, this is like Apple patent right block shape phones.
The shape without the word Marlboro is not Marlboro IMO . Is not the same as Maccus using Golden Arches as that is a proper representation.

I know where some of the debate is at, I am just not agreeing that this had broken copyright as there isn't any indication that this is a Marlboro car until I decal it stating it so.

Marlboro logo is the two lions and whatever is the main logo triangles and shapes are not relevant without the wording nor logo, is unfair that some one cannot paint a house with red roof and white walls and being told Marlboro owns it. Vice versa a red and white car happen to have triangular shapes is disallowed.
I know the debate is but that's Marlboro logo, I just saying it isn't without the printed words.

Also Marlboro had to ditch this shape to a barcode in their racing series.
The Ferrari team claimed the barcode was part of the car design, not an advertising message.[8] well if this is so then I claim this is part of the toy design not a smoking ad

In anyway it looks bad, not sure this will even make it to production now. Still definitely somebody had snitched this to the tobacco company.

DELTAprime
14th December 2014, 06:28 PM
You know why most Apple cases have a cutout for the Apple logo? It's because it is copyrighted and only Apple can legally use it so case manufactures can't use it. Apple didn't sue Samsung because it patented "block shape phones". The shape of a phone isn't patentable, patents cover innovations that are non-obvious like "swipe to unlock". You can however copyright or trademark a design. If you look at the early Galaxy phones they look similar enough to the trademarked design of the iPhone 3G.

Oops I forgot about the design patent which is still current but is probably about to got away along with software patents.

Images can absolutely be copyrighted and trademarked so Philip Morris is well within their right to sue. What I object to is this idea that we must get rid of every historical reference to cigarettes. If you watch footage of racing from the era they had tobacco advertising it's all blurred out. I want smoking banned but ruining something that documents the past really doesn't sit well with me.

drifand
14th December 2014, 06:41 PM
Funny thing is this is a chance for free advertising.

So if this is within their rights, I guess fararri is also breaching regardless of barcode design.

So how do model kits sell nowadays? They must pay for every single sponsor ad?

Find it funny how hungry jacks cannot use Burger King when the rest of the world is known for that and the restaurant owner gets to win in this situation.

kurdt_the_goat
14th December 2014, 06:47 PM
Honestly, i don't think it'll get completely blocked from release... but i hope they scrap it and release a Slicer inspired deco instead.

drifand
14th December 2014, 06:56 PM
It may get blocked if Hong Kong has issues there.
Hell I have two of these on pre order. I guess just see what happens.

Sinnertwin
14th December 2014, 07:47 PM
i really wish i could care enough to be concerned about this figures release, buuuut... i'm not- first world problems and all that

GoktimusPrime
14th December 2014, 08:20 PM
I still disagree is a logo, this is like Apple patent right block shape phones.
Apple has filed suit against Woolworths for their apple shaped logo. AFAIK the case is still ongoing.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo-20091004-ghxe.html

This goes back to what defines a knock off as opposed to a counterfeit. A counterfeit is a direct imitation, but a "knock off" can be anything which bears resemblance, but isn't actually an imitation.

So how do model kits sell nowadays? They must pay for every single sponsor ad?
Yes. It's called licensing. e.g. MP Bumblebee transforms into a licensed VW Beetle, and part of the licence which TakaraTOMY has paid for allows them to use VW's logos on the packaging and toy.

Find it funny how hungry jacks cannot use Burger King when the rest of the world is known for that and the restaurant owner gets to win in this situation.
Here's why (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s).

Starscream77
14th December 2014, 08:30 PM
i really wish i could care enough to be concerned about this figures release, buuuut... i'm not- first world problems and all that

Pretty much this ^

If it was an integral character I may care but it is just a re paint to get money out of a mold
Don't see the big drama

Trent
14th December 2014, 08:53 PM
Pretty much this ^

If it was an integral character I may care but it is just a re paint to get money out of a mold
Don't see the big drama

The most self entitled population on the planet has been told they can't have something. Irrespective of how important/essential it is, there was always going to be rage :rolleyes:

drifand
14th December 2014, 09:39 PM
Apple has filed suit against Woolworths for their apple shaped logo. AFAIK the case is still ongoing.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-claims-woolies-is-getting-fresh-with-new-logo-20091004-ghxe.html

This goes back to what defines a knock off as opposed to a counterfeit. A counterfeit is a direct imitation, but a "knock off" can be anything which bears resemblance, but isn't actually an imitation.

Yes. It's called licensing. e.g. MP Bumblebee transforms into a licensed VW Beetle, and part of the licence which TakaraTOMY has paid for allows them to use VW's logos on the packaging and toy.

Here's why (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s).

its business name was already trademarked by a takeaway food,
Ur the name Burger King was globally done so why Burger King take this guy to court for using something that is already known? Are you saying this guy had Burger King named before Burger King was invented?

It be half arse funny if this was Maccus , being called hungry macs or something because some one stole the name and claim it here first.

As for Apple suing woollies that logo is far off, and IMO Apple should be fined for such wasting time. That's worse than this toy's claim. Very shameful claim.

UltraMarginal
14th December 2014, 10:02 PM
I think a large part of the US issue with the logo is it's application on a childrens toy. I recall reading one of the letters to one of the toy sellers that was posted on both TFW and Seibertron that the logo is part of the Marlboro Trademark but the larger issue is the item being a Toy with tobacco branding on it.

drifand
14th December 2014, 10:02 PM
Pretty much this ^

Don't see the big drama

No drama until a confirmation that this piece is scraped. As it is, it seems like it's only be taken off websites.

drifand
14th December 2014, 10:08 PM
I think a large part of the US issue with the logo is it's application on a childrens toy. I recall reading one of the letters to one of the toy sellers that was posted on both TFW and Seibertron that the logo is part of the Marlboro Trademark but the larger issue is the item being a Toy with tobacco branding on it.

And half of the children today won't even know the brand because it's taken off in sporting events and our cigarette packs . Of course the US themselves may still have the full coloured Marlboro pack which was the alarm bells despite Exhaust is just a red and white car. For all you know, TT may just add a few more triangles and whoala, they are no longer using a known trademark but again debatable by Marlboro .

Anyway here is what RK said

To USA customers,

We hereby announce the following situation regarding the item “Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-23 Decepticon Exhaust”

This item was claimed by Phillip Morris USA, that infringe PM USA’s MARLBORO Roof Design.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th December 2014, 11:21 AM
Amazon Japan still have it up, so I suspect only places selling to the USA care.

If you watch footage of racing from the era they had tobacco advertising it's all blurred out. I want smoking banned but ruining something that documents the past really doesn't sit well with me.
Hrm, I never thought about it like that. It's almost on par with a country taking the nastier bits of war out of their school history books in a way. I can see why it's done, depending on the law, as even though it's old fotage, it could still be seen as advertising, but still.

Funny thing is this is a chance for free advertising.

It is also someone using the design without permission. If it were just free advertising, then Apple. Mcds and every other company wouldn't have an issue with their logo being used wherever. If it were just free advertising, the whole copyright process would be irrelevant.

Defcon
15th December 2014, 11:51 AM
Have on preorder through HLJ, if it becomes cancelled I'm not worried since its just a preorder and nothing has been paid. I think it will still happen, maybe some stores are been cautious. If its possible the design will be altered. Just have to wait and see.

Defcon
15th December 2014, 12:04 PM
looks like HLJ, Anime Export, AmiAmi, have removed the listing from there stores. When I did a search came up with nothing. Some other places may still have it up, but likely pre-orders are closed anyway. I have recieved no emails about cancellation of my preorder. I guess something official info will surface soon.

drifand
15th December 2014, 01:11 PM
Amazon Japan still have it up, so I suspect only places selling to the USA care.

Hrm, I never thought about it like that. It's almost on par with a country taking the nastier bits of war out of their school history books in a way. I can see why it's done, depending on the law, as even though it's old fotage, it could still be seen as advertising, but still.

It is also someone using the design without permission. If it were just free advertising, then Apple. Mcds and every other company wouldn't have an issue with their logo being used wherever. If it were just free advertising, the whole copyright process would be irrelevant.

My dispute is the whole roof design thing is just geometric design, as much as is a trademark , it's too simple and in a way blocking design purpose.

How would you guys like it if simple designs such as a circle, triangle or square being used and you can't use it? Hence why I am not "happy" that being the words Marlboro had not been used.
What I am referring here is malboro had not been seen using this as a design just on its own, (roof top) it's always accompanied with the label and emblem .

Goki pointed out the Apple woollies case and that's where all should be a line drawn. You do not own an apple. You own a bitten Apple logo .

Like wise Maccus is Golden Arches but is unique in a way that is not geometrical blocking, same as coke with a ribbon. A triangle on red white or gold or green is something a child can draw. A triangle with words malboro is definitely violating.

Just went shopping saw a ribbon end design which reassembled malboro as well.
These were used by bankwest and woollies and only thing is words are in placed.
Our eyes chooses what we want to see, IMO exhaust will be still in violation even without the triangle and was painted red and white.

So the report is correct? Some one from tf forums made a complaint directly to pm and caused this issue? Guess he/she may be hated.

Sinnertwin
15th December 2014, 07:09 PM
What is it exactly about a possible registered trademark infringement that is just not making sense to you?

drifand
15th December 2014, 07:20 PM
What is it exactly about a possible registered trademark infringement that is just not making sense to you?

Possible not definite . Is a ribbon red and white car, a 10 year old kid will not see it as malboro .

I don't think you get it. You can patent anything but don't expect simple shapes and common designs are not used. A triangle on a bonnet is bound to be centralised.

Guess tt should have stick to the shadow rumours release?

Troubled Autobot
15th December 2014, 07:25 PM
Just pre-ordered mine though RK - not enjoying the drop in the Aus $$ atm....ouch...

Sinnertwin
15th December 2014, 07:25 PM
oh, i get the concept, i doubt you actually do.
if you did then you'd understand that companies pay big bucks to protect their brand/s which includes, but not limited to names, shapes, colours, fonts and any other associated media.
But feel free to hammer your point home endlessly, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

drifand
15th December 2014, 07:37 PM
if you did then you'd understand that companies pay big bucks to protect their brand/s which includes, but not limited to names, shapes, colours, fonts and any other associated media.
But feel free to hammer your point home endlessly, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I do, I just don't agree there is a definitely breeched of a simple design.

No need to hammer as no official news from takara that this is scraped.

But it just says one thing, last time a shadow and diaclone rumours for bluestreak I was told to wait for the actual pics before ordering. Now we have actual pics and is still and issue. Fact is malboro would still be making noise as long as the car was red and white whether it was going to be a direct violation was in relevant . We choose to view it as a malboro car and that's the problem.

Btw this issue was made by a transformers forum member. If anything it isn't malboro at fault.

Defcon
15th December 2014, 07:45 PM
The the red and the white, the triangle shape referred to as the 'Rooftop' design . All features of the Marlboro trademark logo on the products. It is the logo! the crest and the marlboro name are not present, but no mistake it is still the logo. Takara would have to change the shape, remove the triangle, and it should be ok.

drifand
15th December 2014, 07:56 PM

The the red and the white, the triangle shape referred to as the 'Rooftop' design . All features of the Marlboro trademark logo on the products. It is the logo! the crest and the marlboro name are not present, but no mistake it is still the logo. Takara would have to change the shape, remove the triangle, and it should be ok.

So should woollies and bankwest remove a ribbon shape in their ad I saw today that reassembled Marlboro ?

The emblem and the words define it together with the rooftop or ribbon ended design which is a common design just that we are old enough to relate more to a more common scene over another. Like said malboro have not left words or emblem out from their products and the only time they did was bar coding red black white and hence why I said the common shape was not the issue. As we just relate the colours to malboro regardless.

Ultra Mackness
15th December 2014, 07:57 PM
You can patent form but not function. The Marlborough symbol has the form of a white isosceles triangle interfaced against a uniform red background of a specific hue. It's function was to create an instinctive rather than cognitive brand association from their customer base, like the Coke ribbon and Macca's arches.

This symbol has been replicated on Exhaust. Although I disagree with Phillip Morris deciding to proceed with their suit (and generally don't like/agree with cigarette manufacturers), the specifics of the form of the symbol that they paid someone to develop in order to simplify customer association for their brand has been replicated very closely by another company.

It seems straightforward that their lawyers could argue a patent breach.

That said, Although I haven't pre-ordered him yet, I will (I hope - if my wallet isn't in too much pain!) 'cos I think he looks awesome :)

drifand
15th December 2014, 08:00 PM
You can patent form but not function. The Marlborough symbol has the form of a white isosceles triangle interfaced against a uniform red background of a specific hue. It's function was to create an instinctive rather than cognitive brand association from their customer base, like the Coke ribbon and Macca's arches.

This symbol has been replicated on Exhaust. Although I disagree with Phillip Morris deciding to proceed with their suit (and generally don't like/agree with cigarette manufacturers), the specifics of the form of the symbol that they paid someone to develop in order to simplify customer association for their brand has been replicated very closely by another company.

It seems straightforward that their lawyers could argue a patent breach.

That said, Although I haven't pre-ordered him yet, I will (I hope - if my wallet isn't in too much pain!) 'cos I think he looks awesome :)

Chimungmung and rk has them.

Again is not pm fault though, is obviously a member had an issue with it and brought it to their attention especially when the words toy and smoke came to them and they just had to do something.

Defcon
15th December 2014, 08:17 PM
So should woollies and bankwest remove a ribbon shape in their ad I saw today that reassembled Marlboro ?

The emblem and the words define it together with the rooftop or ribbon ended design which is a common design just that we are old enough to relate more to a more common scene over another. Like said malboro have not left words or emblem out from their products and the only time they did was bar coding red black white and hence why I said the common shape was not the issue. As we just relate the colours to malboro regardless.

I had to look up the Bankwest ad, sorry I don't think its the same use of the shape. Unless I'm not looking at the same ad, Its very small and not the focus of the design. I see your point, sure its a common shape, and could represent a flag or form part of a sign or arrow, there are many uses for it.
The difference is that on Exhaust a definite connection can be made with the Marboro logo. It is inspired by it, it is undeniable. Maybe the everyday person may not recognize it, but the lawyers will!

drifand
15th December 2014, 08:24 PM
I had to look up the Bankwest ad, sorry I don't think its the same use of the shape. Unless I'm not looking at the same ad, Its very small and not the focus of the design. I see your point, sure its a common shape, and could represent a flag or form part of a sign or arrow, there are many uses for it.
The difference is that on Exhaust a definite connection can be made with the Marboro logo. It is inspired by it, it is undeniable. Maybe the everyday person may not recognize it, but the lawyers will!

I don't disagree here, I only stated our eyes chooses what we want it to be.
Like said even if TT removed the triangle the colours can still be an issue and hence the product may have to be colour altered totally.

If you do some reading, you can see that malboro got burned so bad even for bar coding as it still resemble their smokes. So the colour may have to go as well.

Sinnertwin
15th December 2014, 08:37 PM

Because it's the Marlboro Chevron on a Lancia Stratos. Google it.
There's is no relating. There is no what our eyes choose to see. Rounding the corners down on the shape or changing the tone of red does not change the fact that it is what it is. The model of car used, the colours, the shapes, you can't deny any of that.

Defcon
15th December 2014, 08:39 PM
No worries. If they have to go so far as change the colors, kind of makes the release pointless. May as well be something else.

griffin
15th December 2014, 09:33 PM
Can we move on and just leave the discussion about trademarks now... some people who don't own trademarks don't know about the system enough to know what they are talking about, so are just going around in circles. (I own a trademark, so am willing to talk about it to others who also know about how they work, and to educate those people who are willing to accept what those of us who have experience know, about trademarks.)

drifand
15th December 2014, 09:39 PM
No worries. If they have to go so far as change the colors, kind of makes the release pointless. May as well be something else.

No point jumping to conclusion at this stage.

I laugh when the ko version is released in the entire malboro flag smoke colours.

As for the logo, I have an entire sheet of malboro of which none has the rooftop by itself. I honestly believe malboro knew it was generic and hence font malboro + rooftop only equals the product. Without it is a ribbon an upside down triangle on a rectangle. No uniqueness.

Megatran
15th December 2014, 09:53 PM
This is one of the few instances where keeping this toy in a (Marlboro) smoke-filled home can't hurt the toy. Oh, the irony.

drifand
15th December 2014, 09:53 PM
Because it's the Marlboro Chevron on a Lancia Stratos. Google it.
There's is no relating. There is no what our eyes choose to see. Rounding the corners down on the shape or changing the tone of red does not change the fact that it is what it is. The model of car used, the colours, the shapes, you can't deny any of that.

You can put the entire scheme on a different mp and still be sued doesn't even need to be a lancia.

drifand
15th December 2014, 10:01 PM
This is one of the few instances where keeping this toy in a (Marlboro) smoke-filled home can't hurt the toy. Oh, the irony.

I don't smoke my entire life, my friend smokes malboro only.
However I am more interested in this mp now based on the controversial event that has taken place.

Hell I even want to decal the motto on now if any of you even knew what the malboro motto is. ;)

UltraMarginal
15th December 2014, 10:12 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/027/b/d/let_it_go_by_impala99-d740xws.png

Sinnertwin
15th December 2014, 10:12 PM
You can put the entire scheme on a different mp and still be sued doesn't even need to be a lancia.

you don't say? i'm glad you've finally figured it out.

Sky Shadow
15th December 2014, 10:21 PM
Hell I even want to decal the motto on now if any of you even knew what the malboro motto is. ;)

http://s27.postimg.org/p1r0l5oar/image.png

drifand
15th December 2014, 10:23 PM
http://s27.postimg.org/p1r0l5oar/image.png

Not bad was more towards the Veni, vidi, vici :)

DELTAprime
16th December 2014, 01:27 PM
Has anyone else asked HLJ whats going on? I've emailed them but so far I haven't gotten a response.

drifand
16th December 2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think tru Aust will import this in.

SuspectimusPrime
16th December 2014, 01:59 PM
Waiting for the pre-order release from Nippon-Yasan (https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures-transformers/9081-transformers-masterpiece-mp23-exhaust.html). Hoping there will be no dramas.

drifand
16th December 2014, 02:06 PM
Waiting for the pre-order release from Nippon-Yasan (https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures-transformers/9081-transformers-masterpiece-mp23-exhaust.html). Hoping there will be no dramas.

Have you ordered?
If not I suggest not to wait as they are now famous for inflating the price. Look at their wheeljack and bee. My suggestion will be getting from rk or chimungmung

Nippon yasan pre order was done and dusted long ago.

SuspectimusPrime
16th December 2014, 03:25 PM
Have you ordered?
If not I suggest not to wait as they are now famous for inflating the price. Look at their wheeljack and bee. My suggestion will be getting from rk or chimungmung

Nippon yasan pre order was done and dusted long ago.

Yeah their pricing seems very polarised. Some insanely high prices for most other MP's, but I've previously ordered G2 Sideswipe from them in August for $48 + $12 shipping (no change from their pre-order price). Exhaust would be a pretty good price if they don't revise it by Feb15.

DELTAprime
17th December 2014, 06:59 PM
Thank you for writing.

Though we cannot mention too much about what is happening with MP-23; perhaps you already know what is happening, but the pre-orders we had received will be fulfilled.

We apologize for making you worried, but please rest assured.

Best Regards,

Kunihiko Matsugu
HobbyLink Japan

Looks like HLJ will be fulfilling their commitment.

gamblor916
17th December 2014, 09:11 PM
Excellent news. I was just a bit worried there.

drifand
17th December 2014, 09:28 PM
Guess this is flying under the table .

Tober
16th January 2015, 05:39 PM
Updated deco

Article on TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-masterpiece-47/mp-23-exhaust-deco-update-181864/)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/10622938_821125474620061_2605050824367973520_n_142 1387053_zps9113463a.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/10622938_821125474620061_2605050824367973520_n_142 1387053_zps9113463a.jpg.html)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/10358742_821125447953397_453179823551282497_n_1421 387053_zps0b26b66e.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/10358742_821125447953397_453179823551282497_n_1421 387053_zps0b26b66e.jpg.html)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/10372252_821125421286733_5338813640496086346_n_142 1387053_zpsee5c7520.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/10372252_821125421286733_5338813640496086346_n_142 1387053_zpsee5c7520.jpg.html)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/10622938_821125437953398_6887605041031794312_n_142 1387053_zps96f7b715.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/10622938_821125437953398_6887605041031794312_n_142 1387053_zps96f7b715.jpg.html)

millhouse
16th January 2015, 06:02 PM
Updated deco

Lame.

UltraMarginal
16th January 2015, 06:24 PM
I've got to admit, I'm pretty disappointed, the Homage is still there but it feels watered down. it's certainly not as striking, which I guess says something for the power of advertising.

kaiden
16th January 2015, 07:04 PM
why did TakaraTomy bother changing the deco? the toy is being sold in Asian markets and should therefore be immune to the copyright issues in America.

the new deco really does look less striking. its almost tempting to commission someone to repaint it to the original.

Trent
16th January 2015, 07:21 PM
why did TakaraTomy bother changing the deco? the toy is being sold in Asian markets and should therefore be immune to the copyright issues in America.

the new deco really does look less striking. its almost tempting to commission someone to repaint it to the original.

Takara's market isn't even Asia, it's Japan. The only place I'm aware that there was any pressure regarding this release was the US. So this is a VERY interesting development.

And yes, I am disappoint.

millhouse
16th January 2015, 07:31 PM
Looks like he's staying in robot mode in my display!

Sinnertwin
16th January 2015, 07:33 PM
well, there goes my idea of scalping it to the Americans at a ridiculously overinflated price. Sad face.

theshape
16th January 2015, 07:35 PM
Im very confused by this. Everyone always says that TT doesn't really care about the foreign market :confused:

DELTAprime
16th January 2015, 07:36 PM
Damn!

I normally would never deface my Transformers with Reprolabels, but in this case I might actually buy some.

MayzaPrime
16th January 2015, 07:36 PM
I have no attachment to the old diaclone version, so the change make no difference to me at all.

I am still happy to have this in my collection.

kurdt_the_goat
16th January 2015, 07:49 PM
It's always gonna look lame as long as you know what it's supposed to be, but taken on it's own i think it looks ok. It still boggles my mind that Philip Morris gives any shit at all about this, and also how such a minor change magically makes it ok.

I don't know if it's true or not but was once told there's a 10% or 15% change rule for copyright. But it's so subjective, arguably they could have used a different shade of red (perhaps a more "evil" red!) to meet that criteria.

TAAUBlaster
16th January 2015, 08:07 PM
well, there goes my idea of scalping it to the Americans at a ridiculously overinflated price. Sad face.

Sad face too. Would have been nice for the Americans to be on the receiving end of scalper prices for once. Take them down a peg. :p

I didn't really have any attachment to the original deco, but the new one just looks a bit weird now. Kind of like it's unfinished. Instead of the nice clean line breaking up the colours, now they've got 'steped' lines. To me, it doesn't flow very well.

Ode to a Grasshopper
16th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Ah well, I was planning on getting Reprolabels for this guy anyway.

gamblor916
16th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Screw you Philip Morris mine is going to advertise that smooth Marlboro flavour.

drifand
16th January 2015, 11:23 PM
Is this real or somebody just faked it?

This where maybe the ko version will get it right? It be very lame if that does happens.

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2015, 12:22 AM
Philip Morris/Marlboro does exist in Japan (http://blog.manma-do.jp/Tobacco/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/img076.jpg).

griffin
17th January 2015, 12:56 AM
Is it my imagination, or does the front skirting sticker say "GoodFlavor"? A nod to the Cigarette Brand perhaps?

I don't have a problem with the altering of the red deco, as it still implies the homage to the toy that wasn't even a Transformers toy originally anyway.
It's just like the modified "Sponsor Logos" that toys like Classics Mirage and even this one has had to use. Why aren't people complaining about those necessary modifications.

Im very confused by this. Everyone always says that TT doesn't really care about the foreign market :confused:

I think Goktimus was the only one who said that... but since TT sells to Japanese businesses that sell a huge chunk of stock outside of Japan, they aren't going to release items that their customers aren't able to sell to the bulk of collectors outside of Japan. Even Masterpiece & Encore Megatron toys were produced knowing that with an orange cap most foreign markets could still buy it from TT's customers (Japanese businesses).

With Exhaust, they've listened to their customers (Japanese businesses) who can't export the toy to countries like America, so they've modified it enough to be allowed. Otherwise, they may not be able to produce it if they have to rely on Japanese purchases (and a small number of collectors in other countries that could get one, or snuck one in).

Sinnertwin
17th January 2015, 01:55 AM
Is it my imagination, or does the front skirting sticker say "GoodFlavor"? A nod to the Cigarette Brand perhaps?

it looks like a play on the branding of the car & the Goodyear logo too, and the Sidestream(?) on the rear wing looks like it's using the Marlboro font too, but i can't quite make it out.

griffin
17th January 2015, 02:04 AM
Well yeah, I know its a modified Goodyear logo to avoid licensing... but I thought it was maybe a cheeky nod to the cigarette brand as well.

Other
17th January 2015, 02:28 AM
Homage is watered down my ass, the front may be a bit different but the spoiler is actually accurate to the real car/Diaclone figure now. They corrected as much as they changed

drifand
17th January 2015, 03:06 AM

With Exhaust, they've listened to their customers (Japanese businesses) who can't export the toy to countries like America, so they've modified it enough to be allowed. Otherwise, they may not be able to produce it if they have to rely on Japanese purchases (and a small number of collectors in other countries that could get one, or snuck one in).

Wouldn't this be like megatron ? Pretty sure the other half would have preferred the unaltered version.

Anyway, I think some custom job could do it.

SkyWarp91
17th January 2015, 05:37 AM
Imma paint the hood back to its Malboro design, and print off a sticker saying Malboro. And then make the figure hold a cigarette.

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2015, 09:23 AM
I think Goktimus was the only one who said that...
Because that's what Takara explicitly told me back in 2003. And just last month TakaraTOMY told me that they only cater for the Japanese market when they told me that their online survey site is now geoblocking non-Japanese users. That's what they're telling me, so please don't shoot the messenger. :o Perhaps you could direct a question about this at Hasbro's Q&A at BotCon this year.

Even Masterpiece & Encore Megatron toys were produced knowing that with an orange cap most foreign markets could still buy it from TT's customers (Japanese businesses).
I thought those orange caps were something that individual retailers added and not something that Takara(TOMY) themselves supplied for those toys. :confused:

It could be the case that they "officially" cannot cater for non-Japanese markets, but may do so "unofficially" -- i.e. in more subtle ways that doesn't directly violate their contract with Hasbro. <shrugs> </speculation>

drifand
17th January 2015, 10:00 AM
This become a bit tricky as most stores shows the old proper pic of the Marlboro car and not this version.

Would it be justified as item not as decribed from pics? lol
I am actually tempted to cancel alter my order of 2 to just one because of this alteration. But most stores may not even know of such a change in the product.

I am sort of disappointed overall on this piece but it isnt as bad as the Silver Streak/Blue Streak kind of disapointment.

nexusnixx
17th January 2015, 10:28 AM
Looks like stickers from other sources to make it what it should be ha ha

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2015, 10:33 PM
Would it be justified as item not as decribed from pics? lol
I am actually tempted to cancel alter my order of 2 to just one because of this alteration. But most stores may not even know of such a change in the product.
"Actual product may vary."
Running changes (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Variant) have existed in Transformers since the very beginning.

I am sort of disappointed overall on this piece but it isnt as bad as the Silver Streak/Blue Streak kind of disapointment.
Was it ever officially stated that MP Silverstreak was going to be in Diaclone colours, or did some people just make this presumption? :confused:

griffin
17th January 2015, 10:48 PM
Was it ever officially stated that MP Silverstreak was going to be in Diaclone colours, or did some people just make this presumption? :confused:

Looking at the first announcements of the toy (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17842), BBTS used the name Bluestreak instead of Streak, which led people to assume it was the blue diaclone version. Then Seibertron claimed it was going to be the (blue) diaclone version, and so with those two sources, it took a while before it was corrected... and by that time, those people on various fansites who got caught up believing something that was never even officially announced as being blue, got upset about it as if it there was some great deception or tragedy happening. :rolleyes:

It's just toys people... if they are officially change, or even were never officially revealed as something else, it's not the end of the world. Buy it if you like it, and move onto something else you do want if you don't like it (or get reprolables as a last resort). :)

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2015, 11:08 PM
Also, it's not too late to cancel your Exhaust pre-orders (or if it is, sell it -- I'm sure someone will buy it!)

SuspectimusPrime
19th January 2015, 05:53 PM
I didn't notice the differences straight away am happy enough I'm still able to get what I wanted without much hassle - an evil-looking bot with big f*** off sunnies ;)

Edit: Gotta stop comparing the photos as the rate of contentment-decay is proportionate to the time spent looking at those photos.

drifand
19th January 2015, 06:08 PM
I didn't notice the differences straight away am happy enough I'm still able to get what I wanted without much hassle - an evil-looking bot with big f*** off sunnies ;)

Edit: Gotta stop comparing the photos as the rate of contentment-decay is proportionate to the time spent looking at those photos.

I say just wait for it. To be honest, it is still Marlboro colours, as Marlboro has tried using barcode style as well. I am not overly fussed, a bit disappointed but what the hell.

CBratron
19th January 2015, 06:16 PM
I reckon the trademark infringement prototypes still exist and would go for a ton of cash.

drifand
19th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Or get shocked with KO version doing it without a care in the world.

Juggernaut
21st January 2015, 04:38 AM
This might be getting cancelled now

kurdt_the_goat
21st January 2015, 05:37 AM
I'm hoping the latest news on this causes them to give in and just release Slicer instead :)

Krayt
21st January 2015, 08:46 AM
I doubt that TT would have gone to the bother of announcing the updated deco to suit the US market WITHOUT running it by the lawyers first....

Especially seeming it's a US only issue, and they cater for Jap/Asia, not the US!

Ode to a Grasshopper
21st January 2015, 09:02 AM
It's still up for pre-order on Amazon Japan.

griffin
21st January 2015, 09:57 PM
This might be getting cancelled now

The UK branch of the applicable cigarette company still has a problem (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/looks-like-more-trouble-ahead-for-mp23-exhaust/32024/), which might mean the US imports might still be blocked... but we don't know yet.

If TakaraTomy cancel this toy because of Western Markets being blocked, it will certainly prove that they take into account non-Japanese sales and markets with the toys they release.

Trent
21st January 2015, 10:00 PM
The UK branch of the applicable cigarette company still has a problem (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/looks-like-more-trouble-ahead-for-mp23-exhaust/32024/), which might mean the US imports might still be blocked... but we don't know yet.

If TakaraTomy cancel this toy because of Western Markets being blocked, it will certainly prove that they take into account non-Japanese sales and markets with the toys they release.

If the changes don't improve the issue the Tobacco company has, they should just go back to the original deco.

They won't though :(

griffin
21st January 2015, 10:01 PM
I wonder if it is worth finding out if these would be a problem in Australia... as it might then put it on their radar, and end up having the toys being seized by Customs if they put it on their x-ray hit-list.

drifand
21st January 2015, 10:06 PM
I wonder if it is worth finding out if these would be a problem in Australia... as it might then put it on their radar, and end up having the toys being seized by Customs if they put it on their x-ray hit-list.

I would be quiet about them honestly and I guarantee it's not a problem until someone spill the beans. This is not a ban item in honesty people do have toy cars with Marlboro decals. And I just bought Marlboro decals so it should not be a problem unless you want it to be by discussing it with authorities .

BigTransformerTrev
21st January 2015, 10:09 PM
I would be quiet about them honestly and I guarantee it's not a problem until someone spill the beans. This is not a ban item in honesty people do have toy cars with Marlboro decals. And I just bought Marlboro decals so it should not be a problem unless you want it to be by discussing it with authorities .

I was totally skipping this MP, but now it's looking like this release is going to be so rare it's making me kinda wish I had ordered him from Japan along with everyone else :rolleyes:

lancalot
21st January 2015, 10:24 PM
the australian government would want this figure painted black with a picture of a diseased organ on the roof!! :p

drifand
21st January 2015, 10:39 PM
Please guys the toy is definitely not a problem, it is one when someone starts questioning. The problem with the US was indeed someone from the tf forum made a deal about it. It is of course Marlboro duty to do something to show that they do care.

Same thing here, if you going to open the can of worms then I expect the whole product to be cancelled. We seem to follow what US does.

This toy is going under the radar , please don't question about it.

Ode to a Grasshopper
21st January 2015, 10:44 PM
the australian government would want this figure painted black with a picture of a diseased organ on the roof!! :pI'd buy multiple Plain Packaging Exhausts - one for each health warning.:D

Anyway, he's still showing up as available for pre-order on both Amazon Japan and TakaraTomy's website.

griffin
21st January 2015, 11:31 PM
the australian government would want this figure painted black with a picture of a diseased organ on the roof!! :p

Hehehe... so funny!

I'd buy multiple Plain Packaging Exhausts - one for each health warning.:D

When I used to work for one of the two main grocery chains and it was my day for picking cigarettes for the stores, it was like looking at a set of trading cards... and I would often look out for any new ones and read their descriptions, just for the morbid curiosity. :o

Sinnertwin
21st January 2015, 11:43 PM

Wouldn't Phillip Morris' legal team already be aware of Takara's intent to distribute locally & worldwide anyway?