PDA

View Full Version : More re-issues we didn't need: Galaxy Force Optimus Prime and Crumplezone twin pack

STL
20th August 2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/cybertron-galaxy-force-optimus-prime-and-crumplezone-to-be-reissued-in-universe-line-twin-pack-165617/

:(

liegeprime
20th August 2008, 08:07 AM
Hmm I did miss out on Galaxyforce Prime coz of the usual reasons" I think its ugly". but now that he's hard to get Im looking to get one. just wish it didnt came with Crumpy coz I have him already, oh well I can always give it as a gift to my cousin. IF that 2 pack ever does come to Aus shores.

Golden Phoenix
20th August 2008, 09:27 AM
Wow. That couldn't have worked out better for me. I missed out on both and have been trying to find them.
Me wants

sifun
20th August 2008, 09:31 AM
you'll all probably have to buy this online, good luck getting it locally

JuzMel
20th August 2008, 09:52 AM
I like my blue windows prime better and I already have green and dark crumpy, so no point me getting it.. *lucky*.. Me sticking to Takara Henkei.. no Universe for me.. I hope.. keke.. So far my itchy fingers hadn't clicked to buy Universe prowl, tankor or sun streaker.. I hope to survive the urge.. :D

iceburn
20th August 2008, 10:06 AM
I like my blue windows prime better and I already have green and dark crumpy, so no point me getting it.. *lucky*.. Me sticking to Takara Henkei.. no Universe for me.. I hope.. keke.. So far my itchy fingers hadn't clicked to buy Universe prowl, tankor or sun streaker.. I hope to survive the urge.. :D

want me to show you mine? *haha*

Krayt
20th August 2008, 10:23 AM
That Prime is the last GF/Cyb figure i need.... can't wait

i_amtrunks
20th August 2008, 10:54 AM
well now I know what they did with all those shelf-warming Crumplezone figures...

Pulse
20th August 2008, 10:59 AM
Well, they re-packaged RID Omega Prime during Cyb so this doesn't suprise me even one iota... :rolleyes:

iceburn
20th August 2008, 11:02 AM
noted a minor difference in the Cyberkey...
the autobot logo in the original is metallic blue but this 2pack it's gold.
figure-wise...it's the same colours (not so tempted to get but will see how it ends up)
if it's of a different paintjob...i would want it as i'm a sucker for repaints

TheDirtyDigger
20th August 2008, 02:37 PM
I just wish the Classics/Henkei/Universe line was all reimaginings of G1.
That's why I started collecting them in the first place. That Crumplezone I have already but does not belong anywhere near my Classics.

Paulbot
20th August 2008, 02:58 PM
A twinpack that's a Leader and a Voyager? That's going to be expensive. :o

I'd be happier with a reissue of the original Cyberton Optimus Prime.

kup
20th August 2008, 02:58 PM
Its not within my collecting spectrum but I can see how it can benefit those who missed out.

What I find strange is that this toy is a bit too new to be reissued. They have a whole library of molds for older, much desired toys that warrant a reissue more than this.

kurdt_the_goat
20th August 2008, 03:06 PM
Maybe "reissue" isn't the right term when these are most likely unsold leftovers?

Pulse
20th August 2008, 03:09 PM
What I find strange is that this toy is a bit too new to be reissued. They have a whole library of molds for older, much desired toys that warrant a reissue more than this.

Case in point...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/sgt__york/Costco%20Prime%20Magnus/DSC01579.jpg *Stupid Hasbro*

kup
20th August 2008, 03:19 PM
Maybe "reissue" isn't the right term when these are most likely unsold leftovers?

Kurdt could be right, but didn't they sell fairly well? Unless they over produced them or discovered a lost shipment.

Also I don't see any kids getting these. Cybertron is old news now, if a kid is going to get a toy he would be going for Animated Prime or Movie Prime to a lesser extend (because its a bit older)

i_amtrunks
20th August 2008, 04:26 PM
Case in point...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/sgt__york/Costco%20Prime%20Magnus/DSC01579.jpg *Stupid Hasbro*

Hey If I hadn't heard about the bad quality of plastic in that set I would have bought it.

MV75
20th August 2008, 04:53 PM
If it didn't cost ~$120 more than what it should have, then I would have bought it.

Lint
20th August 2008, 06:47 PM
Prime's repaint looks terrible to me, I would have considered getting this if it was a genuine like-for-like reissue

JuzMel
20th August 2008, 08:12 PM
want me to show you mine? *haha*
Muahahaha :D It's alright... won't tempt me, me Takara Tomy supporter!

Anyway I also feel that Hasbro is taking it's old stocked items that couldn't sell, and repainting them as new series.

It doesn't justify since there are so many other figures that need re-issues more this. But good for those who need a Cybr Prime. (* Still like my blue window one) kekeke :D

Thanatos
20th August 2008, 08:13 PM
Does anyone besides me think that its a weird mix of figures? Like Wing Saber and Prime? More sense. Even Starscream and Prime since they're both pretty major. Crumplezone doesn't make sense.

dirge
20th August 2008, 08:21 PM
^^ what Thanatos said. A strange repackaging (not really a reissue), random even for Hasbro.

I don't care either way, I'm more than happy to leave this one on the shelf.

MV75
20th August 2008, 09:40 PM
Meh, I'm sure Gok will find some weird obscure comic reference to them both. Probably as little tiny blobs in a small panel somewhere. Good enough for Hasbro. :D

autobreadticon
20th August 2008, 09:45 PM
maybe fun toys to have to collect but cybertron characters don't appeal to the little toy collector inside me,i didnt like the characters in the cartoon

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Meh, I'm sure Gok will find some weird obscure comic reference to them both.
Nope. Like dirge said, this looks totally random and IMHO just a waftam. :/

MV75
20th August 2008, 10:15 PM
maybe fun toys to have to collect but cybertron characters don't appeal to the little toy collector inside me,i didnt like the characters in the cartoon

Dude, the prime itself is worth getting the set for. It's a great toy, and sold very well during Cybertron, especially if you got wingsaber, even the movie repaint version. :) But yea, I wouldn't rush to plonk down big AUS Hasbro Dollars on it.

Nope. Like dirge said, this looks totally random and IMHO just a waftam. :/

Wow, must be totally random then as you're the TF Encyclopedia. :) I was sure you'd find some sort of obscure thing with them both.

griffin
21st August 2008, 01:48 AM
Well, if that 2-pack does get released here, it would mean the entire Cybertron toyline had made it here, in some way. The Galaxy Force Optimus recolour was the only toy that managed to not be released here during Cybertron, getting us so close to finally having an entire TFs toyline released in this country.
I think every series since the beginning (Gen1), Australia has missed out on something, but of all the toys in Cybertron, we were only one figure short of a complete release.
As someone who keeps track of what is released here, I thought that was pretty amazing.

Soundwarp
21st August 2008, 06:08 AM
I will get that so i can have the different colour for Prime!

dirge
21st August 2008, 07:32 AM
This one's for Roller... "We got all of Machine Wars!" :)

i_amtrunks
21st August 2008, 09:56 AM
Well, if that 2-pack does get released here, it would mean the entire Cybertron toyline had made it here, in some way. The Galaxy Force Optimus recolour was the only toy that managed to not be released here during Cybertron, getting us so close to finally having an entire TFs toyline released in this country.
I think every series since the beginning (Gen1), Australia has missed out on something, but of all the toys in Cybertron, we were only one figure short of a complete release.
As someone who keeps track of what is released here, I thought that was pretty amazing.

I could've sworn that some SA members found the Galaxy Force Optimus Prime???

Crumplezone was the biggest shelfwarmer in the Cybertron line in my area (followed by Mudflap) so could it be he was simply added to the pack due to overwhelming numbers of him being returned to hasbro?

Pulse
21st August 2008, 10:43 AM
Wasn't Crumplezone stuck together with Soundwave/CD Scattershot?

Golden Phoenix
21st August 2008, 11:01 AM
Wasn't Crumplezone stuck together with Soundwave/CD Scattershot?

I don't this he was. I know the repaint/remould Dark Crumplezone was. I remember picking him up up with Soundwave from BigW

i_amtrunks
21st August 2008, 11:31 AM
I don't this he was. I know the repaint/remould Dark Crumplezone was. I remember picking him up up with Soundwave from BigW

I think it was Dark Crumplezone and Soundwave and Soundwave and CD Scattorshot that made up the 2 packs that Big W sold for less than the price of 1 Voyager figure. Normal Crumplezone had been long gone by then.

Stompy
21st August 2008, 12:56 PM
That box gotta match the size of the Movie 3 pack. Also a chance for people who missed out to own that Prime mold. It may be non-newsworthy for the die-hard collectors but helpful for us newbies.

Wow Cybertron Soundwave shelf-warmed? I'm still after a Cybertron Soundwave with no luck in tracking one down... at a reasonable price.

i_amtrunks
21st August 2008, 01:02 PM
Wow Cybertron Soundwave shelf-warmed? I'm still after a Cybertron Soundwave with no luck in tracking one down... at a reasonable price.

Soundwave didnt shelfwarm.

I never actually saw a Cyb Soundwave by it's lonesome, only ever saw it in the Big W 2 pack. CD Scattorshot was not a slouch either, he was fairly easy to find, but still sold out, unlike his CD team-mate Red Alert...

JuzMel
21st August 2008, 01:12 PM
That box gotta match the size of the Movie 3 pack. Also a chance for people who missed out to own that Prime mold. It may be non-newsworthy for the die-hard collectors but helpful for us newbies.

You should really try ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Cybertron-Voyager-SOUNDWAVE-100-Complete_W0QQitemZ320289354482

Buy it now - US$26 + shipping.. Complete loose set. Bibyco selling it at a hefty price of $65. Last year when I was buying from them, deluxes were $26.99 and voyagers $39.99. Now they seemed to have doubled in price! :eek:

kurdt_the_goat
21st August 2008, 01:56 PM
Stompy, a few sellers on here have Cybertron Soundwaves going right now!

Llamatron - $35 (Cybertron loose and complete in good condition with instructions and back of box.) (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1684)

Zippo - $70 (Galaxy Force MISB) (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=61)

Pulse
21st August 2008, 03:08 PM
I really recommend Cyb Soundwave! He's an awesome figure full of playability :) (hell, this gallery (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/cybertron/soundwave/849/)convinced me to get him in the first place :D :o)

Stompy
21st August 2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the help trunks, mel, kurdt & Pulse! I thought I scanned thru the saleyards, obviously with a not fine enough comb. I'll weight up my options and see what I do.

Btw what was the point of "Galaxy Force OP"? I know its just a repaint tick that Hasbro does but is there any significance to his recolour to black instead of blue? Is it reffering to its Japanese counterpart?

SilverDragon
21st August 2008, 09:38 PM
Why on earth are they repackaging Prime with Crumplezone? The two have nothing in common, they don't combine, and one isn't the leader of their faction. They'd have done better to do a Prime/Megatron two-pack, or with Leobreaker, Wing Sabre, or any of the other figures which combine with Prime.

GoktimusPrime
21st August 2008, 09:56 PM
SilverDragon: why it's almost as if Hasbro's not really paying attention to what they're doing! ;)

roller
22nd August 2008, 12:12 PM
thanks alot Universe 2 !

A line that has the same name as a previous different line is destined to failure

why dont one of you start a campaign to cancel the line before we see even more useless repaints or moulds that have been done to death?

kup
22nd August 2008, 12:48 PM
thanks alot Universe 2 !

A line that has the same name as a previous different line is destined to failure

why dont one of you start a campaign to cancel the line before we see even more useless repaints or moulds that have been done to death?

The idea of a Universe line is actually pretty good and I applaud it. However its execution seems to be lacking. Instead of giving us the same old molds or resales of fairly new molds, why not concentrate on older popular molds, or molds that weren't released in America/Australia?

To be fair, this new Universe line seems to be much more focused than the old one as their repaints seem a bit more relevant instead of random when it comes to representing characters. I don't agree with some of the molds chosen for certain characters (Blaster, Roadbuster) but I can see that they are focusing more rather than randomly using Homer's Make up gun.

The Universe line is said (by Hasbro) to be aimed at collectors so why not release older toys with good repaints such as BW Blackarachnia with a show accurate paint job like Takara's anniversary one? or exploring non toy characters such as Impactor instead of randomly slapping unknown names into figures with atrocious paint jobs as they did in the past.

Its a bit early and even though overall the new Universe line seems like an improvement of the older one (not a hard thing to do) I hope it doesn't fall into random crap.

Now the new molds seem rather good and I like with the exception of the new BW Cheetor which looks like a regression of its 13 year old mold and more in line with Archer's poor BM designs.

Tallestblue
23rd August 2008, 11:58 PM
Hrrrm. Repaints. I hate most of them. But the one that bugs me in all this is where is the Energon Shockblast mould with a G1 Shockwave colour scheme!? It makes perfect sense with all the Armada/Cybertron repaints and it seems like it will never happen! WHY!?
Oh...and a BM Blackarachnia repainted in Beast Wars or Animated colours would be awesome. That makes no sense. I just want one.

GoktimusPrime
24th August 2008, 04:10 PM
I thought Energon Shockblast's colours were reasonably G1-ish myself (being primarily purple). :/

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/4/4e/G1Shockwave_toy.jpg/180px-G1Shockwave_toy.jpghttp://www.transformerland.com/store/reference_images/22426-r.jpg

Pulse
24th August 2008, 05:24 PM
My 2c, the only thing wrong with Ener Shockwave was that his weapon arm was way too heavy - he's always leaning over to one side...

FFN
24th August 2008, 07:54 PM
Now the new molds seem rather good and I like with the exception of the new BW Cheetor which looks like a regression of its 13 year old mold and more in line with Archer's poor BM designs. Aaron Archer didn't design BM toys to the best of my knowledge. At the time, he was planning the Armada line.

Can you provide evidence of him doing BM designs?

kup
24th August 2008, 08:16 PM
Aaron Archer didn't design BM toys to the best of my knowledge. At the time, he was planning the Armada line.

Can you provide evidence of him doing BM designs?

Archer was in charge of Hasbro's TF Toyline during BM's run or at least had a very senior position. Also if you recall, many of Archer's credited TM2 designs have very similar simplified design than the toys of previous years. TM2s in general were in line with the style of the coming Beast Machines line which are clearly made in Archer's design style, particularly the Maximals. He may not have been the direct designer but it looks like his design influence was in them.

Many Armada toys also share in his design style, particularly when it comes to the high priority of gimmicks over toy design even though they may not have been directly designed by him (but some such as Megatron were). This resulted in large toys with oversimplified transformation and abstract alt modes which was also a mayor issue common with the large Beast Machines toys.

STL
25th August 2008, 11:32 PM
Archer was in charge of Hasbro's TF Toyline during BM's run or at least had a very senior position. Also if you recall, many of Archer's credited TM2 designs have very similar simplified design than the toys of previous years. TM2s in general were in line with the style of the coming Beast Machines line which are clearly made in Archer's design style, particularly the Maximals. He may not have been the direct designer but it looks like his design influence was in them.

Many Armada toys also share in his design style, particularly when it comes to the high priority of gimmicks over toy design even though they may not have been directly designed by him (but some such as Megatron were). This resulted in large toys with oversimplified transformation and abstract alt modes which was also a mayor issue common with the large Beast Machines toys.

http://coreygilmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

kup
25th August 2008, 11:48 PM
http://coreygilmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

They killed Michael Bay!

dirge
26th August 2008, 11:35 PM
To be fair, STL, kup was replying to a question.

Soundwarp
27th August 2008, 06:39 AM
My 2c, the only thing wrong with Ener Shockwave was that his weapon arm was way too heavy - he's always leaning over to one side...

True i really liked the toy aside from that one point!

FFN
27th August 2008, 04:04 PM

Many Armada toys also share in his design style, particularly when it comes to the high priority of gimmicks over toy design even though they may not have been directly designed by him (but some such as Megatron were). This resulted in large toys with oversimplified transformation and abstract alt modes which was also a mayor issue common with the large Beast Machines toys. Aaron was lead designer of the Armada line in 2000. As we see from the fact that currently Eric Siebenaler and Bill Rawley are lead designers of Animated and Universe Classics respectively, Hasbro can have multiple lead designers for different Transformers lines. At the moment, I have not seen evidence of Archer being credited for Beast Machines work, and until I do, I won't credit him for it.

Case in point: The team behind Beast Machines designed the cancelled series that would have come after had Beast Machines been more successful: Transtech. Aaron has stated that he is not a fan of the Transtech designs. Does that sound like he was in charge of the same team then?

Aaron was credited with designing four Beast Wars TM2 toys: Iguanus, Optimus Minor, Dinobot 2 and Megatron. Iguanus and Dinobot 2 were fairly complex, and I'd hardly call TM2 Megatron a simple toy compared to the toys of previous years. In fact, I'd call it one of the more complex Beast Wars toys.

As for TM2s being the basis for Beast Machines toys. Transmetal 2 toys are hybrids of technology and organic animals, call it a progression of the Beast Wars 2 Cyber Beasts if you will. Beast Machines were more like smoothed down, stylised cybernetic representations of Earth creatures.

As for Armada, the emphasis from marketing was for kid-friendly gimmicks and play features, with an additional emphasis on durability and stability rather than complexity or articulation. He also said Armada didn't have a high budget (during this period of joint Hasbro-Takara development, Hasbro was the company funding much of the joint Transformers work).

Retail success with Armada brought the higher budgets they enjoy today.

kup
27th August 2008, 05:00 PM
Transtech designs are considerably different than BM Maximals. Yeah they follow the same theme of 'mix of the organic and technological' but the engineering plans and concept art do not share the same style as BM from a toy design point of view.

The only Archer toy that I do like, although the robot mode has some dire flaws is TM2 Megatron. The other toys are pretty meh and lesser toys than previous years specifically the ones you listed which design style was clearly followed on with BM.

I will not get into the Profit = good toy line debate as that is just silly.

Anyway I will stop now before someone decides to kill another horse in vain.

GoktimusPrime
27th August 2008, 05:03 PM
Armada pre-dominantly came out in 2003 (some figures may have hit North America in December 2002 but it's chiefly 2003). 2000 was still Beast Machines for Hasbro, including the Battle For The Spark sub line.

As for the post-Beast Machines line... *shudder* Hasbro seriously pi$$-farted around when it came to what they wanted to do after Beast Machines. In late January or early February of 2001 I specifically asked what Hasbro were planning on releasing for that year and whether or not they had any plans to release Car Robot. I was told that they were definitely not planning on bringing over Car Robot and that they would be releasing a new original line. I wasn't given much more details beyond that.

Then a few weeks later at the New York FAO Schwarz Toy Fair Hasbro announced "Robots In Disguise" which of course was Car Robot repackaged! And Hasbro didn't even have any toys at their booth, they just had cardboard mock-ups. Now, considering what I was told a few weeks before that I strongly suspect that RiD was a last minute decision when they realised that they'd been sitting on their collective behinds with no real idea as to what they were going to do with TFs until they realised that they had to make an announcement at the Fair. (-_-) So I guessed that RiD would buy Hasbro another year to work on releasing the afore promised new toyline in 2002. Then came 2002 and nope... no new line. RiD got dragged along with lots more repaints... 2002 was the "drought" year where neither Hasbro nor Takara gave us any new lines. (-_-) *sigh* So it was only at the end of 2002 that we heard of Transformers Armada/Micron Legend - and I have to say that after a 2 year wait it was kinda lacklustre. (-_-) I was picking up toys like Armada Scavenger in early 2003 and thinking, "I waited 2 years for this?!?" :/

Btw, does anyone else think that TM2 Megatron kinda looks like a Bomberman Biidaman toy? ;p

http://alma2.skr.jp/mtblog/archives/toy/bb2-005.jpghttp://www.unicron.us/tf1999/toypics/megatron1.jpg
(yeah, I know why that ball is there, but it still looks really silly)

P.S.: According to TF wiki these are toys designed by Archer:

Beast Wars
* Transmetal 2 Dinobot
* Transmetal 2 Iguanus
* Transmetal 2 Megatron
* Optimus Minor

Armada
* Hot Shot
* Megatron
* Starscream
* Thrust
* Cyclonus
* Unicron
* Many, many Mini-Cons

Energon
* Signal Flare
* Early Scorponok concept

Paulbot
27th August 2008, 05:10 PM
Does nobody want to talk about Galaxy Force Prime and Crumplezone or in general "reissues we don't need"?

Please move on from Armada/Archer/Beast Machines stuff or I'll close the thread.

FFN
27th August 2008, 06:49 PM
I think this 2 pack is likely destined for Costco or some other American chain. Hasbro did similar 2 packs during Energon (Prime + Overload redecos) and Cybertron (Prime + Jetfire), as I recall.

Transtech designs are considerably different than BM Maximals. Yeah they follow the same theme of 'mix of the organic and technological' but the engineering plans and concept art do not share the same style as BM from a toy design point of view. Transtech designs were conceptualised by Draxhall Jump, the same studio that conceptualised Beast Machines.

I will not get into the Profit = good toy line debate as that is just silly. No, but good sales = lots of kids got into it, and that's the single most important thing for any toyline that still has a child market as a majority. Besides, good sales of Armada also equaled increasing budgets and a relaxation of gimmick demands in later lines.

Armada pre-dominantly came out in 2003 (some figures may have hit North America in December 2002 but it's chiefly 2003). 2000 was still Beast Machines for Hasbro, including the Battle For The Spark sub line. Toylines take time to develop. The planning stage (ideas, concept work) was in 2000. In 2001 they made the toys (hence early Armada toys are marked as Hasbro/Takara 2001). In 2002 they manufacturered them.

The Armada line was officially launched and appeared at North American mass retail in roughly 3rd quarter 2002, hence BotCon 2002's dinner night 'exclusives' not being so special as the participants interested in Armada had already purchased them some time earlier at Walmart. This was sometime before December, amigo. You must have been confusing the US launch with the Australian launch, which was December 2002.

kup
27th August 2008, 06:53 PM
I am looking forward to better pics of the Superion Maximus set Repaint. My hope is that the color schemes of each figure match that of the G1 toy. If it does, I will be very tempted.

griffin
27th August 2008, 10:53 PM
Does nobody want to talk about Galaxy Force Prime and Crumplezone or in general "reissues we don't need"?

Please move on from Armada/Archer/Beast Machines stuff or I'll close the thread.

I think this topic has had enough time to be discussed. They are just repackaged toys with no obvious signs of recolouring or remoulding, so there isn't much that can be said without being overtly positive (those who don't have them) or negative (everyone else).

I'd have to say that the Aaron Archer discussion here is necessary, because this community has such an (unfairly) low opinion of him, and it is good to have someone at least defend his efforts - efforts that may not entirely be engineering masterpieces in the Transformers universe, but his artistic visions, towards individual toys and the toylines as a whole has seen more success than failure. Success to the extent that we probably wouldn't have had a $130million movie last year from the sheer simplicity of his designs. Older collectors like many of us here may want the more challenging, complex transformations that Takara are more famous for, but the western market prefer the more simplistic toys that have Hasbro 'sketched' origins. Aaron was best suited for that demand, intentionally or otherwise (we'll never know for sure what his potential is now that he is above the design team), but the variety and long term viability of the Transformers Brand is something he deserves a little credit for. Not to mention the devotion he has to the fans, interacting with them as much as Hasbro allows it (like online or at BotCon every year).
HOWEVER, since there are fairly unwaivering opinions towards the person here, I don't see further debate changing perceptions of the more polarised people here. So this topic is now closed.

If you are one of the newer people here who are interested in reading up on Aaron Archer, and his role in the Transformers universe over the last 10+ years, these wiki pages are a place to start:
http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Aaron_Archer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Archer
And his own website:
http://www.aaronarcher.com/