PDA

View Full Version : The Star Of Age Of Exinction Wants His Criminal Record Erased.

Sky Shadow
6th December 2014, 12:27 PM
On April the 8th, 1988, as a sixteen year-old, Mark Wahlberg beat two men, calling them a "Vietnam f@(*ing S#!*" and "slant-eye g@&*". Wahlberg beat the first man - Thanh Lam - with a large wooden stick until Lam was unconscious, then stole the man's beer. Later that evening, Wahlberg told thepolice, "You don't have to let him identify me, I'll tell you now that's the motherf@(*er whose head I split open." He permanently blinded the second man - Hoa Trinh - in one eye. Marky Mark received 45 days in gaol. Wahlberg wants his criminal record cleared, as it is preventing him from getting his concessionaire's licence, which is getting in the way of him being a restaurateur. He has never apologised to either of his victims, but has "really started to feel that guilt go away. So I don't have a problem going to sleep at night. I feel good when I wake up in the morning."

Wahlberg is now a multimillionaire, married to a Vogue, Marie Claire, Elle and Victoria's Secret model. Trinh still has only one eye.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2861692/Mark-Wahlberg-seeking-pardon-vicious-attack-committed-left-man-permanently-blind-one-eye-claiming-better-person.html

griffin
6th December 2014, 03:26 PM
I knew about the drugs and stuff when he was young, but that's a side of him that I didn't know about, and is disappointing to hear. (just like on those airport customs shows that reject people with serious criminal records, this is a good lesson for teens about how drugs and excessive alcohol can ruin your entire adult life before it has even started)
I couldn't see where it says he hasn't tried to make amends with the victims or compensate them with his massive wealth (he owns one of the top 10 most expensive homes in LA), but if it's true, is he really redeeming himself, or worthy of a pardon.
If he has made amends to the victims and is adequately compensating them to their satisfaction, I think the victims should have a say in the pardon if he has proven himself to be of a flawless and charitable nature in the 26 years since it happened.

Conversely, if he is only seeking a pardon so that he can more easily make money (as if he doesn't have enough already), then have his wife be the business/brand/trademark owner. Other Businesses will still be having the Wahlberg brand/name/association, and his family-estate still makes the same money from the deals anyway. Using that as an excuse to get the pardon would be poor form, as the criminal record doesn't appear to prevent him from doing anything else (including travelling, to promote or star in movies shot outside of America).

DELTAprime
6th December 2014, 03:47 PM
Marky Mark received 45 days in gaol.

Gaol? WTF is that?

CoRDS
6th December 2014, 03:52 PM
Gaol? WTF is that?

Correct is what it is :)

DELTAprime
6th December 2014, 03:58 PM
Correct is what it is :)

Wow, google says it's a way of spelling Jail from the 18th century. Get with the times people. It's jail.

ChlorHex
6th December 2014, 04:04 PM
I do hope he compensated the poor chap who lost his eye.
That punch was uncalled for when that guy actually helped him.
The unfortunate reality is that consequences stick around for a long time for all parties.

Skullcruncher
6th December 2014, 04:22 PM
Wow, google says it's a way of spelling Jail from the 18th century. Get with the times people. It's jail.

What? I thought Australia was the only country still in the 18th century!!??!?!!

SMHFConvoy
6th December 2014, 05:10 PM
Yeah saw this on Facebook. It's frustrating, you feel that he's learned nothing from it at all. If he wanted to "inspire people" he wouldn't be asking for a pardon, he just wants to feel good about himself.

Jetfire in the sky
6th December 2014, 05:54 PM
Marky Mark received 45 days in gaol.

While the story you have given us is shocking and totally unacceptable, the quoted part is what he was sentenced to and served. Don't blame him, this is the system they have, as we have seen in recent times with the US police against African Americans it is seriously flawed.

I, in no way support this completely vulgar act and what as per US laws is a hate crime, but by the law, which so many of us (especially the mods) go by on this forum, he has served his punishment. So we move on................sadly, but we do.

Jetfire in the sky
6th December 2014, 06:27 PM
Sorry, to clarify, all I am saying is that the rules aren't always black and white. First they worked in Marks favour, now they aren't.

Sky Shadow
6th December 2014, 07:58 PM
Gaol? WTF is that?

Gaol is statistically where people with low literacy rates end up.

I couldn't see where it says he hasn't tried to make amends with the victims or compensate them with his massive wealth (he owns one of the top 10 most expensive homes in LA), but if it's true, is he really redeeming himself, or worthy of a pardon.

It's not in that particular article, but see here (http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Oscars2007/story?id=2509542&page=1) for more:

"And though the right thing to do would be to try to find the man and make amends, Wahlberg says, he admits he hasn't done so -- but says he's no longer burdened by guilt."

Even worse, I've read before that he lied about apologising in a court appearance at one point in order to get a more lenient sentence.

The sentencing memorandum is here (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/back-day-marky-marks-rap-sheet-0?page=6).

griffin
6th December 2014, 09:42 PM
It's unfortunate that it is a rather negative issue, and as noted, it is their legal system... so if he has already fulfilled their punishment requirements for the crime, and proves eligible for a pardon under their system, then maybe the system is flawed if most people don't agree with it. Alternatively, if most people agree with the system, then that's just democracy for you.

(I moved this to the discussion section, as it isn't Transformers news, just non-Transformers news pertaining to someone who was once involved in the franchise)

GoktimusPrime
7th December 2014, 12:12 AM
Replied here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=447395#post447395)

The_Damned
8th December 2014, 07:44 PM
i was reading somewhere that he does give some money to a charity or something.

griffin
9th December 2014, 01:58 PM
I saw on TMZ that it could be so that he can become some sort of reservist community cop... or something to do with law enforcement, which requires no felony convictions.
If true, that's better than just doing it to make money through business dealings. But he should still seek forgiveness from his victims and have them adequately compensated if he hasn't already.
(or this police thing could just be an excuse to more easily get the pardon, and then go off to do the business stuff when he gets it)

autobreadticon
10th December 2014, 02:22 PM
what an arsehole

learned alot about Mark and loss all respect for him, just watch this vid, it says it all......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

also 10+ assault charges and other felons , most of them probarly go under reported..

Zommael
10th December 2014, 02:43 PM
It's unfortunate that it is a rather negative issue, and as noted, it is their legal system... so if he has already fulfilled their punishment requirements for the crime, and proves eligible for a pardon under their system, then maybe the system is flawed if most people don't agree with it. Alternatively, if most people agree with the system, then that's just democracy for you.

(I moved this to the discussion section, as it isn't Transformers news, just non-Transformers news pertaining to someone who was once involved in the franchise)

The problem is that he hasn't fulfilled the punishment requirements for the crime. He has served his prison sentence in full, yes, but punishment and rehabilitation go beyond that and into criminal records that remain for longer after a crime is committed. In this case, Marky Mark is asking to have that removed, which is special treatment that not everyone gets. With that in mind it's understandable why people are angry over this, as it's essentially a movie star asking for special treatment for no good reason other than, seemingly, money.

BigTransformerTrev
10th December 2014, 08:40 PM
Now to be fair who of us can TRULY say that at some point in our youth we didn't permanently maim someone simply due to unfounded hatred towards their ethnic group? I still shudder when I remember what I did to a bunch of Swedish delegates at a conference because I was inebriated and had bought the previous week what turned out to be a very shoddy TV cabinet from Ikea. But to be fair I felt kinda bad about it afterwards and 40% of those guys were able to walk again within a year.

Glass houses people! Don't throw stones!

Disclaimer
(What I am saying is a joke. Please treat it as such and realize it means no disrespect. In this case I've never actually hurt anyone and I have backpacked Sweden and had an awesome time. This is meant in jest)