PDA

View Full Version : Are toy images and instructions spoilers?

griffin
18th December 2014, 09:43 PM
Since the topic has come up recently, should toy images and instructions need warnings like written spoilers?

Some see the puzzle element of a Transformers toy, particularly the more expensive ones, as part of the value/cost of a toy, and since you can only experience the challenge of the puzzle element once, it is something some toy-fans value, to factor into the hefty cost of some toys.

So, should instructions and detailed toy images that could show off the engineering or transformation, be classed as spoilers in their own news topics?
(if a topic title has "instructions" in them, it is not a spoiler in its own topic)

- Yes, both should have warnings, or be hidden (with a link instead of being inserted), or create a new News topic for them.
- Only instructions to be treated as spoilers.
- Not necessary if they are already in a News topic relating to that toy.
- I don't care.
- Other (please explain).

Feel free to post you opinions, but please avoid disputing or criticising the opinions of others.
(opinions are more likely to be changed or adopted, if a person can read the opinions of others, without having to be defensive of the criticism of others)

Trent
18th December 2014, 10:20 PM
No. If you are in a thread where that particular TF is the news topic, then we should be able to freely discuss that TF and the news related to it, be it instructions or images.

Starscream77
18th December 2014, 10:38 PM
No. If you are in a thread where that particular TF is the news topic, then we should be able to freely discuss that TF and the news related to it, be it instructions or images.

What he said ^

Kapryiath
18th December 2014, 11:09 PM
What he said ^

^^what he and he said

ITZTRU
18th December 2014, 11:19 PM
Agree with everyone so far. Not necessary. Just seems like overkill.

Raider
18th December 2014, 11:32 PM
I completely get the point griffin is making and I am one of those people who never look at instructions unless I am completely stumped (which has happened maybe twice) as figuring out the transformation is one of the most appealing aspects of Transformers. However, I think making such things spoilers is a bit overkill.

We can all view these topics and make a decision not to either review the instructions or images in too much detail if you are concerned.

Thurmus
19th December 2014, 12:17 AM
Most of the threads that have pics say so. Also if you have the toy in your hand then the pics won't matter. As for instructions, I can see how it could annoy people so maybe have an instructions thread and link to it.

BigTransformerTrev
19th December 2014, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen an instructions pic in the 3 1/2 years I've been active on this site so I can't say I've ever found it to be an issue.

As others have said, usually a news topic mentions if it has photo's so that shouldn't be a problem for people.

The only problem with it all is sometimes it detracts from the thrill of finding a toy that you never even knew existed (like Bot Shots Warpath for me earlier this year). But then if people don't like that, they shouldn't be surfing these sites in the first place.

5FDP
19th December 2014, 10:12 AM
What Trent said.

UltraMarginal
19th December 2014, 11:33 AM
Interesting Question.
Just recently I was a little disappointed to see transformation pictures of a Masterpiece toy, probably the origin of this thread. When I say disappointed, not in the poster, but when I saw the transformation in pictures I had a mixed feeling of 'wow that's cool' and 'ohh, now I don't get to experience it myself when I get the toy.' Having said that, when I realised what the pictures were of, I did scroll down quickly to avoid paying too much attention to them.

Toy threads like this are great, it helps us keep up with news of the product, interesting accessories, changes in release date and what the final product will look like. All of this I wouldn't consider spoilerish, until you get to pictures that show how a transformer transforms. I've since not looked back at the pictures, where if it's just pictures of the two modes, I'll often spend some time looking at the picture to see if I can figure out how it transforms. weird line to draw in the sand I know but that's where it is for me. :o

Here it's pretty easy to skip over a post with potential spoilers but on main international sites it's a totally different kettle of fish, with all pictures posted right there in the news feed, which has it's pros and cons. which applies to their comic previews as well.

I'd like to suggest that if any action needs to change, perhaps mentioning that pictures in a post contain potential transformation spoilers allowing the reader to scroll through without paying too much attention. Anything more would stifle the free flowing conversation and dissemination of information that is a highlight of this board. I feel that this is the first time, apart from bumblebee, Takara have released such specific photos pre-release of elements of a transformation, so maybe something to be aware of in the future.

Megatran
19th December 2014, 12:44 PM
No. What's next? Every post needs to start with "IMO/IMHO .....". :(

Sinnertwin
19th December 2014, 01:03 PM
27 and 0 so far
Looks like it's business as usual.

The_Damned
19th December 2014, 02:36 PM
stay out of the thread if you dont want spoilers

Bidoofdude
19th December 2014, 03:27 PM
Complete agree with the first few posts. Not necessary if you're in a thread about the toy. Expect stuff about it.

drifand
19th December 2014, 03:51 PM
Understood the concerns but if they were an issue I wouldn't be. In that thread.

For me, it was a partial peek of what I am getting or is it worth it?
First off, the colour of Magnus already divided some people which is good as you save money than spending unnecessary.

The review of how certain joints look are there to keep us to be on your toes not to push certain things too hard.

Overall spoilers are not spoilers for me. I think those who are misb collectors wouldn't even care either way. Lol

griffin
19th December 2014, 07:03 PM
I think if there was a leaked instruction sheet, it can be its own news posting, but partial images or detailed toy photos that show a lot of the toy and its engineering, can be in its related news topic.... and if you start to see images in a post as you are scrolling down and don't want to risk being spoiled, scroll away from the images before you look hard enough to identify any transformation steps.

When the time comes when I can afford to host mirrored attached news images on a server, we will have a lot more inserted images, as we rarely have them at the moment... and it gets a bit boring reading through news postings without any piccies to look at.

MayzaPrime
19th December 2014, 07:32 PM
I voted 'other' because I like to think of them as a teaser...

Similar to a movie teaser trailer, all it does (for me anyway) is build the anticipation for the toy and makes me want it more.

lancalot
21st December 2014, 02:33 PM
stay out of the thread if you dont want spoilers

this exactly!! :cool: