PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wahlberg signed up for more Transformers movies

griffin
19th December 2014, 02:56 PM
From the language being used, it appears that Mark Wahlberg is signed up for Transformers 5, and maybe 6 & 7 as well... which would make it four movies for him, compared to three for Shia (whom I'd have to imagine would appear again in a future movie - the character was way too significant to the Autobots and Decepticons to be erased from history).
There's an article here (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=112588) about it, and a video clip here (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/mark-wahlberg-committed-to-doing-a-couple-more-transformers-movies-181713/).

I was wondering where Transformers would rank as a film series if it gets to 7 movies, in terms of how many film series has had more movies, and found that there are quite a lot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series)... meaning that Transformers would need to get to "Transformers 90" to get the record. :eek:

But in terms of the most profitable film franchises, Transformers is currently at number 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series) (but that includes the 1986 movie, which brings down the average from US$939 Million to US$752 Million).
So if they do another three and do as well as the current average of US$939 Million for the current series, the franchise could climb one or two spots on the table... but, the three above it have future movies as well, which will keep earning them more money too.

It's worth noting that in terms of global box-office takings, the 4 Live Action Transformers Movies are second highest in terms of average earnings (even to other franchises that also take out earlier, poor performing, unrelated movies like the 1986 TFs movie is to the Live Action ones)... just being beaten by the Harry Potter franchise by $26 Million (a mere 3% difference).
If the Harry Potter Prequel trilogy doesn't do as well as the main eight movies and brings down its average, Transformers would then become the most bankable/invest-able "contemporary" (current/future) franchise.
As polarising as Michael Bay is, that's certainly a statistic in his favour that could see him as one of the most bankable movie directors (http://boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Director&sort=sumgross&p=.htm) (those are just US takings though, but Global takings shouldn't be much off).

BigTransformerTrev
19th December 2014, 04:15 PM
From the language being used, it appears that Mark Wahlberg is signed up for Transformers 5, and maybe 6 & 7 as well.

Well that would certainly mean that they would be continuing the current storyline rather than doing a reboot with whoever the next director turns out to be. I didn't realize until I read the article that Bay is going to produce the next flick - I thought he was leaving the franchise for good.

Juggernaut
19th December 2014, 04:15 PM
I love the movies, never had a problem with Bay to be honest,

griffin
19th December 2014, 06:48 PM
I didn't realize until I read the article that Bay is going to produce the next flick - I thought he was leaving the franchise for good.

I didn't even catch that bit... but was thinking to myself when I was reading how profitable he (and his name) is, that his production company (Platinum Dunes) would probably be signed on in some way, just to have his name in the credits and trailers (to draw in more people). Or he had it in one of his past contracts to have first rights to producing future TFs movies.

SharkyMcShark
19th December 2014, 07:10 PM
All I have to say about this, and the fact that Michael Bay gets to keep making films. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc)

CBratron
19th December 2014, 07:48 PM
I'm okay with Marky Mark returning. It'd do less damage than having to reestablish a new male lead.

I'm not so sure Shia will be back Griff. Spike may be back as he is such an important character but Shia seems to have wandered off angrily on his own indie, 'not famous anymore' path.

MayzaPrime
19th December 2014, 08:20 PM
I'm okay with Marky Mark returning. It'd do less damage than having to reestablish a new male lead.

I'm not so sure Shia will be back Griff. Spike may be back as he is such an important character but Shia seems to have wandered off angrily on his own indie, 'not famous anymore' path.

Shia just did just do a movie with Brad Pitt, so he could be making a comeback.

I for one like that Mark Wahlberg is coming back, I rather enjoyed his character, and Marky Mark is awesome.

Omega Metro
19th December 2014, 11:01 PM

Agree

Mythirax
20th December 2014, 10:46 PM

Agree

I third that ;) - I enjoy the action shots and explosions everywhere.

laproblematique
21st December 2014, 12:37 PM
Let's be honest if they replaced Marky Mark with Nic Cage or any middle aged white Hollywood action/adventure movie star would anybody even notice amidst the explosions?

Sinnertwin
21st December 2014, 01:22 PM

Neither have i. They're not the best put together things, but y'know the fandoms armchair critic Bayrage and all the rest... ;)

griffin
21st December 2014, 01:25 PM
Like I said, he's polarising... not unanimously hated or loved.

Starscream77
21st December 2014, 01:45 PM
I don't mind them either, just take them for what they are and don't compare them to any other TF line

Might go watch one now

Bartrim
21st December 2014, 03:17 PM
Meh. I only care about the robots.

Magnus
21st December 2014, 08:55 PM

Agree

I third that ;) - I enjoy the action shots and explosions everywhere.

Me four :D

I'm particularly glad they never went with a reboot after DotM, and they certainly look set to continue the storyline if Mark Wahlberg is coming back.

GoktimusPrime
21st December 2014, 11:22 PM
Meh. I only care about the robots.
...so you're a fan of about 15% of the live action films' screen time, then? :p :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_meme_humans_zps15ec3ee8.jpg (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=449399&postcount=95)

Bartrim
22nd December 2014, 09:27 AM
...so you're a fan of about 15% of the live action films' screen time, then? :p :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_meme_humans_zps15ec3ee8.jpg (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=449399&postcount=95)

Zing!

drifand
22nd December 2014, 01:34 PM
Not really liking it, not that I have issues with bay but I really like a fresh perspective on the transformers series.

It doesn't have to reboot, take Optimus away from next episode, let hot rod and Magnus run the show, meanwhile Optimus gets into trouble and needs assistance which picked up as you know it from a human shuttle and gets to the autobots for help.

You can go from there , killing prime change leadership of matrix get Rodimus .
Not hard.

Sinnertwin
22nd December 2014, 01:37 PM
Not really liking it, not that I have issues with bay but I really like a fresh perspective on the transformers series.

It doesn't have to reboot, take Optimus away from next episode, let hot rod and Magnus run the show, meanwhile Optimus gets into trouble and needs assistance which picked up as you know it from a human shuttle and gets to the autobots for help.

You can go from there , killing prime change leadership of matrix get Rodimus .
Not hard.

You want a fresh perspective on the series yet you want Optimus to die and Rodimus to become the new leader?

drifand
22nd December 2014, 01:44 PM
You want a fresh perspective on the series yet you want Optimus to die and Rodimus to become the new leader?

Yup can be a reboot from there.

I don't think they are going to reboot .

Don't know about the majority, here are some things that puts me off

1. Transformium < should not be allowed
2. Because of it you have a set of deceptions which transform abnormally and IMO is bad.
3. Bee needs a voice, it's about time.

The more you let someone with no real knowledge about the transformers do the movie, the more bs things we start to get. That's how I see it. Sure it's entertainment so is Steven seagull .

Sinnertwin
22nd December 2014, 08:28 PM
Yes, but killing Prime and making Hot Rod/Rodimus/Whiny McWhinypants the new leader (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyIzzBf18pg)was done 28 years ago. it's hardly a fresh perspective.

Yup can be a reboot from there.

I don't think they are going to reboot .

Don't know about the majority, here are some things that puts me off

1. Transformium < should not be allowed
2. Because of it you have a set of deceptions which transform abnormally and IMO is bad.
3. Bee needs a voice, it's about time.

The more you let someone with no real knowledge about the transformers do the movie, the more bs things we start to get. That's how I see it. Sure it's entertainment so is Steven seagull .

Starscream77
22nd December 2014, 08:38 PM
Yes, but killing Prime and making Hot Rod/Rodimus/Whiny McWhinypants the new leader (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyIzzBf18pg)was done 28 years ago. it's hardly a fresh perspective.

I thought that 'fresh' plot sounded a little familiar :p

drifand
22nd December 2014, 10:16 PM
Sorry are we expecting tmnt?

When I say new perspective I meant someone else who watched transformers and know what or how to tell a story. Not make shit up as we go along

If you are here to give me the crap then I tell you now stuff it, it's all done before. Shut the hell up and just let bay spoil the transformers franchise further.

Like I said, what's left? My point exactly, it doesn't matter it's been told 30 years ago. The viewing it's not just for the OLD people here.

drifand
22nd December 2014, 10:21 PM
I thought that 'fresh' plot sounded a little familiar :p

Didn't say fresh plot. In fact don't change anything. Optimus becomes a gorilla and whoala new plot have beast wars.

The people who are hating the direction of bay movies are because he changing stupid things.

Just watch, this storyline isn't going to be WOW, it been done.

Starscream77
22nd December 2014, 10:24 PM
Chill out, I believe Sinner was just letting you know that the plot you described is not a fresh perspective as you wrote

No need to get bent out of shape and resort to language as we do have minors on this board

drifand
22nd December 2014, 10:34 PM
Don't even care about this topic anymore. We just love explosions, I surprised we are bunch of brain dead people. What were you guys expecting? Transformers that don't transform?

I rather watch star trek at this point.

GoktimusPrime
22nd December 2014, 10:35 PM
Just change directors. You can have a different director make a sequel that remains in the same continuity as the preceding movie - no need to reboot - but make a BIG difference.
e.g.Star Wars: A New Hope - directed by George Lucas
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - directed by Irving Kershner...with Empire delivering what is arguably one of the most powerful scenes in the entire Star Wars Saga (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcqm9mgKhS1qaj6h8o1_500.jpg). ;)

The article says that Bay is slated to be the new producer in the next movie, which should mean that they'll be looking for a new director... unless Bay is planning on producing and directing.

drifand
22nd December 2014, 10:38 PM
Just change directors. You can have a different director make a sequel that remains in the same continuity as the preceding movie - no need to reboot - but make a BIG difference.
e.g.Star Wars: A New Hope - directed by George Lucas
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - directed by Irving Kershner...with Empire delivering what is arguably one of the most powerful scenes in the entire Star Wars Saga (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcqm9mgKhS1qaj6h8o1_500.jpg). ;)

The article says that Bay is slated to be the new producer in the next movie, which should mean that they'll be looking for a new director... unless Bay is planning on producing and directing.

If George Lucas is in, be prepared that it's going to be worse.
I take Irving in your options.

Sinnertwin
22nd December 2014, 10:42 PM
Don't even care about this topic anymore. We just love explosions, I surprised we are bunch of brain dead people. What were you guys expecting? Transformers that don't transform?

I rather watch star trek at this point.

If George Lucas is in, be prepared that it's going to be worse.
I take Irving in your options.

Still posting here? i thought that you didn't care?

drifand
22nd December 2014, 10:46 PM

Sorry I cared about Star Wars

Sinnertwin
22nd December 2014, 11:06 PM

Let it go man, just let it go

griffin
23rd December 2014, 05:00 AM
Both of you let it go... please.

Oberon Sexton
24th December 2014, 02:38 PM
The cold never bothered me anyway... *chirping cricket sounds*

Penetrator
26th December 2014, 11:21 PM

optimus prime's spark battery has finally depleted after XXX Years and unicron comes to destroy earth with ultra magnus taking up the mantle as leader of the autobots, only to find out that unicron's creator are actually the neutrinos from dimension x...

:D

Sinnertwin
27th December 2014, 01:22 AM
optimus prime's spark battery has finally depleted after XXX Years and unicron comes to destroy earth with ultra magnus taking up the mantle as leader of the autobots, only to find out that unicron's creator are actually the neutrinos from dimension x...

:D

no more booze for you. Go home :D:p

Lint
30th December 2014, 09:08 PM
The cold never bothered me anyway... *chirping cricket sounds*

*stomps on crickets* I'm with you :D