PDA

View Full Version : Animated Ratchet recolour multi-pack.

griffin
30th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Looks to be a US Target exclusive 3-pack, but only one appears to be a recolour, which I really hate, because it's like ordering a bulk lot of toys you already have just to get one or two you don't.

This set has a yellow coloured Deluxe Ratchet, with Legends Starscream and Prowl. You'd think that they would at least recolour the Starscream into one of the clones, just to use up another one of those colour schemes without multiple colours shelfwarming on the Legends pegs in the stores.
I can't tell if the Prowl is any different, but doesn't look to be either.

http://tformers.com/transformers-first-look-at-target-exclusive-rescue-ratchet-set/10068/news.html

MV75
30th August 2008, 09:30 AM
What's the point? There's nothing behind having a yellow ratchet at all.

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2008, 09:38 AM
It looks like they've tried to paint Ratchet in his movie colours but massively stuffed up and used yellow instead of green! (o_O)

Malibu Stacy - with new hat! :p

MV75
30th August 2008, 09:42 AM
There's a TF:Animated movie? :p

kup
30th August 2008, 09:50 AM
Why em I not surprised :rolleyes:

Bumbleratchet for the loose.

dirge
30th August 2008, 10:09 AM
How... random.

I can see why the completist in you is annoyed, griffin.

STL
30th August 2008, 10:58 AM
Ugh.... cheap way to get Legends at least I hope...

And hopefully the paintjob actually looks that good.

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2008, 11:25 AM
wouldn't it be cheaper to get the Legends separately?

Pulse
30th August 2008, 12:26 PM
I know there's a p#%$ Prime but now there's also gonna be a p#%$ Ratchet... :rolleyes:

iceburn
30th August 2008, 02:02 PM
Why must there be a Yellow Ratchet? gosh..come on Hasbro, be more realistic and come up with better toys

Gutsman Heavy
30th August 2008, 02:06 PM
urrgh, horrible

Robzy
30th August 2008, 02:38 PM
Wow... this is, uh, pointless! :rolleyes:

MV75
30th August 2008, 03:10 PM
Why must there be a Yellow Ratchet? That's what I still can't figure out.

Please don't say we're geting repaints for the sake of repaints now. At least previous repaints had a character link or reference somewhere to them.

kup
30th August 2008, 03:15 PM
That's what I still can't figure out.

Please don't say we're geting repaints for the sake of repaints now. At least previous repaints had a character link or reference somewhere to them.

Animated: Universe?

MV75
30th August 2008, 03:42 PM
As funny as that is, no, because it comes with two regular painted legends figures.

Pulse
30th August 2008, 04:15 PM
Man,

If I worked high up the TF Foodchain at Hasbro, someone would definitely be getting fired for giving that yellow Ratchet the ok... *shakes head*

autobreadticon
30th August 2008, 05:01 PM
i could understand if this was for display purposes but my god Ratchet's colour scheme is bad, i don't think the Animated series would want to make a episode where Ratchet turns yellow ....

i_amtrunks
30th August 2008, 05:46 PM
thats just nasty.

At least if it was that neon green I'd get the point of it (but still hate it).

SilverDragon
30th August 2008, 06:45 PM
I do not like banana-flavoured Ratchet.

You'd think that they'd make him lime green or something to reference the Movie toy.

Golden Phoenix
30th August 2008, 06:54 PM
Horrible colours. I really wish I could un-see that. But sadly I can not <_<

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2008, 07:41 PM
Looking at the comments from international fans on TFormers about this set...

"http://forums.tformers.com/talk/style_emoticons/default/guh%20copy.gifHe's so... yellow"

"eww"

"...how much money are they thinking they can bilk us out of for a fugly Deluxe repaint and two Legends?"

"Hey, let's try to recreate Ratchet's movie color scheme AND FAIL COMPELTELY"

"colonel mustard, with a wrench, in the library"

"I cant say this is one I will be getting"

"has any one noticed this it the Ratchet in drag set? This looks like what he sneaks out in when he goes to his "special" bar."

"Wow, that is ugly."

"WHAT THE F!"
"Why Hasbro, why would you do this... http://forums.tformers.com/talk/style_emoticons/default/xbob.gif"

"...i vote "no" on the yellow."

""f'ugly" is the word."
"Looks GOD AWFUL!!http://forums.tformers.com/talk/style_emoticons/default/vader.png"

...and the most optimistic comment on that thread...

"I think hes cool looking! And a nice deal with the 2 legends.
Man its not that bad. I've seen MUCH worse!
But still a pass. lol"

The only people who seem to be putting their hands up to buy it are those who don't have the original figure... which seems weird to me because it wasn't released that long ago and seem to be in reasonably plentiful supply. *shrug*

iceburn
30th August 2008, 08:05 PM
i'm sure someone will still buy it, let's see who's the first to...

Zippo
30th August 2008, 08:50 PM
Ughh!

MV75
30th August 2008, 09:33 PM
Looking at the comments from international fans on TFormers about this set...

"colonel mustard, with a wrench, in the library"

The only people who seem to be putting their hands up to buy it are those who don't have the original figure... which seems weird to me because it wasn't released that long ago and seem to be in reasonably plentiful supply. *shrug*

Bwahahaha! :D

Anyway, why would anyone who wants it not have the proper colour? It's still hanging around in large enough numbers. I see it all the time. Which reminds me, I'll leave this post with:

[6th sense] "I see yellow transformers". [/6th sense]

GoktimusPrime
30th August 2008, 09:40 PM
The Yellow Horde! :p

http://static.flickr.com/79/258874117_cee255dc9b.jpghttp://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Denei/1578/toys/shiningmagnus1.jpg

kup
30th August 2008, 09:52 PM
At Botcon fans should ask Archer and the other Hasbro representatives why this sort of fugly and pointless paintjobs get approved and why the advertised pictures of toys seem of considerably better quality than the packaged figures such as what happened with Animated Bumblebee?

...instead they always ask the same pointless 'friendly' questions :(

Pulse
30th August 2008, 09:57 PM
The Yellow Horde! :p

You forgot these 2... :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xqgUDsIwL._SS400_.jpg *Urgh!*

dirge
30th August 2008, 10:03 PM
At Botcon people should ask Archer and the other Hasbro representatives why this sort of fugly and pointless paintjobs get approved and why the advertised pictures of toys seem of considerably better quality than the packaged figures such as what happened with Animated Bumblebee?

...instead they always ask the same pointless 'friendly' questions :(

Well, if I was at BotCon, I wouldn't bother asking about cr4ppy repaints. I mean, if I hate them, I just disregard them. I'd be much more interested in (say) the future of the Classics concept. With a limited timeframe, I'd concentrate on the stuff I'm interested in, not the garbage that I'm not interested in.

That's not to say that these aren't valid questions, but I can see why they're not asked.

kup
30th August 2008, 10:24 PM
Well, if I was at BotCon, I wouldn't bother asking about cr4ppy repaints. I mean, if I hate them, I just disregard them. I'd be much more interested in (say) the future of the Classics concept. With a limited timeframe, I'd concentrate on the stuff I'm interested in, not the garbage that I'm not interested in.

That's not to say that these aren't valid questions, but I can see why they're not asked.

To me consistent decay of quality from Hasbro is a concerning question that should be asked. It affects all figures not just repaints.

MV75
30th August 2008, 10:36 PM
Agreed. It's not like I'm buying a Big mac where ingredients, people and time can vary greatly to what the end product looks like. I'm buying something that has exact measurements in paint used and moulds used.

I think they need a reminder that they arn't selling fast food. I can only cringe at the thought on what next years movie toys will look like.

kup
30th August 2008, 10:50 PM
Agreed. It's not like I'm buying a Big mac where ingredients, people and time can vary greatly to what the end product looks like. I'm buying something that has exact measurements in paint used and moulds used.

I think they need a reminder that they arn't selling fast food. I can only cringe at the thought on what next years movie toys will look like.

I have noticed a pattern with Hasbro. It seems that they will put effort into their toys if there is a third party attached or if they are licensing from an external company.

If you notice, their Star Wars toys overall have decent finishes and paint jobs because they are using a third party License to produce the toys. If they pee off Lucas, he could push for the franchise to be licensed to another company.

Transformer lines such as Universe and Animated are exclusively Hasbro owned, the toys don't have to be approved by anyone else nor would they disgruntle any of their partners if they cut back in manufacturing costs. That is why I think they are being lazy as hell with these Hasbro owned franchises.

However when it comes to the second Movie line, they will not just be dealing with their own but will be licensing the design of the alt modes from General Motors and other Heavy Weight companies and investors as well as the movie studios. So if they become slack with the finishes and quality, they would be harming their business relations and upsetting their license owner and investors. They will put the extra effort on the Movie toys.

The original movie line was actually pretty good in overall quality despite some questionable molds (Leader Brawl, Starscream) and I believe this is because the Movie line had other companies involved not just Hasbro.

MV75
30th August 2008, 10:57 PM
We'll wait and see. My concerns are poor paint apps on clear plastic. Yea, that.

Tiby
31st August 2008, 11:34 AM
Well, this kind of stuff is making my (enforced) decision to cut back and not be a completist so much easier. This would clearly be one of the figures that sit in alt mode behind all the others on the shelf where you can't see them... like half the movie line which I sadly bought before I knew better...

I'd rather save my money for obscure and far superior figures, like Universe Swerve which has pride of place IN FRONT OF my questionable and hide-able movie figures. I will NOT make the same mistake with Animated or Classics (Heavy Load?). Thanks Hasbro for helping me grapple with this difficult decision.

MV75
31st August 2008, 12:03 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that's been "convinced" to be more select in what I buy now. I was afraid that I was getting too bored and bitter, but no, it's what's been put on offer that has changed, and thus I've reacted to it.

I loved the cybertron line. Pretty great quality all-round. I never had any issues with paint apps with any of the toys, they all look great. I have no regrets in buying most of that line (I've mould completed it). It pretty much set the standard to me on what I should be expecting from subsequent modern lines.

I'm only going to buy a very few select figures from universe (most will be henkei), and I've decided to steer clear of the animated toys altogether. I do like the animated cartoon very very much, I'm just very far from impressed with how the toys have turned out.

I'm shifting mostly now to the encore line instead.

Thanatos
31st August 2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, not a huge fan of this particular repaint. Like you guys have all said, it feels very forced and pointless.

Don't worry though, knowing Hasbro, our country won't even see this repaint on our shelves.

Pulse
31st August 2008, 12:51 PM
After my initial clearout of a bunch of Cyb figures (I went overboard with that line :o), I've actually found it quite easy to only obtain the figures from various lines that I want :)

I find it a total crack-up :p how some people have to obtain everything (I'm talking about every single pointless repaint... :D)

GoktimusPrime
31st August 2008, 01:09 PM
If you notice, their Star Wars toys overall have decent finishes and paint jobs because they are using a third party License to produce the toys. If they pee off Lucas, he could push for the franchise to be licensed to another company.
I don't think it's just that. Hasbro can produce good toys if they choose to. Lord Zed was pointing out before that G.I. Joe seems to experience more consistent quality compared to Transformers - and Aaron Archer himself has admitted that he is personally a G.I. Joe fan (and not really a fan of Transformers) as a youngin'. Now I don't have a problem with Archer being a Joe fan - we're all entitled to our personal preferences and what not, but I do find it somewhat unprofessional that Hasbro seems to pay more attention to certain lines (e.g.: Star Wars, G.I. Joe) over others.

Marvel is a toyline that Hasbro's manufacturing through a third party licence yet it seems to be suffering from inconsistent quality and attention too. I find that Marvel toys really don't seem as good to me now that they're with Hasbro back to when they used to be made by ToyBiz. Take the toys from the first two Spiderman movies (ToyBiz) compared to the Spiderman 3 figures (Hasbro). IMO the Spiderman 3 figures are massive disappointments compared to their ToyBiz counterparts. I picked up Spiderman 3 Green Goblin (II) and symbiote Spiderman and I was disappointed with both of them to the point where I've been completely turned off buying any more Marvel toys.

Hasbro does produce some good Transformers from time to time - e.g.: their Masterpiece Starscream. But the problem is that for every success there's an epic fail. Their results are very sporadic and inconsistent - very much hit and miss. Takara makes mistakes too, but they're more consistent when it comes to improving on their failings whereas Hasbro just seems to jump all over the place... giving me the impression that they're not paying attention to what they're doing, which in turn makes me feel like that they don't care or don't really take pride in their work when it comes to Transformers.

And even Star Wars occasionally has some odd fails. I find the microphone on the new Clone Trooper helmet to be really poor and substantially inferior to that on the Optimus Prime and Darth Vader voice changing helmets. Although the helmet itself is very well made and snaps together very well. Unlike the Optimus Prime helmet both the Vader and Clone helmets actually cover the entire head properly.

The_Damned
31st August 2008, 03:07 PM
for the love of god why wouldn't they repaint him as ironhide?

GoktimusPrime
31st August 2008, 03:20 PM
That would make more sense than this yellow thing. Mind you, Ironhide would need a new head. And ideally the strobe lights would need to be removed too.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/f/ff/AniHide.JPG/200px-AniHide.JPGhttp://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/b/bf/Ratchetanimatedthrill.jpg/250px-Ratchetanimatedthrill.jpg
...a silver chrome variant of Animated Ironhide would be really cool as some kind of limited exclusive. :D