PDA

View Full Version : Henkei Ironhide + Galvatron pics

kurdt_the_goat
1st September 2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-henkei-galvatron-and-ironhide-images-165698/

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GlxsRHgML._SS400_.jpg
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51exIhY8y-L._SS400_.jpg
MUCH better! Windows nicer, red nicer, no baby blue on face or shoulders, stripe included.. Perfect!

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BYUaG4ISL._SS400_.jpg
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/5137Wpci3qL._SS400_.jpg
I guess there's not a better place for the chrome, but it still stands out a bit too much for my liking.
The loss of the orange/red is good and purple arms match G1 better. Strange they didn't make the kneecaps metallic red though.

Pulse
1st September 2008, 02:28 PM
I can't quite make out the colours of Ironhide's face & rear windows?

kurdt_the_goat
1st September 2008, 02:30 PM
Hmm are you looking at the thumbnails? on TFW? On the larger versions it's pretty easy to see, Ironhide has a grey face and darker blue shade windows.

Pulse
1st September 2008, 02:32 PM
Hmm are you looking at the thumbnails? on TFW? On the larger versions it's pretty easy to see, Ironhide has a grey face and darker blue shade windows.

Thanks Mate :) (Pulse = looking with his eyes closed :o)

kurdt_the_goat
1st September 2008, 02:38 PM
No worries
Looking closer, i'm impressed that the black shoulders hide the screws better on Ironhide. Strangely though, they've painted his head and taillights with chrome? The rims of the wheels seem like a better choice!

i_amtrunks
1st September 2008, 03:33 PM
In case you want the direct links:
Galvatron (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%95%E3%8 2%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E5%A4%89%E5%BD%A2-%E3%83%98%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B1%E3%82%A4-D-07-%E3%82%AC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%90%E3%83%88%E3%83%AD%E3%8 3%B3/dp/B001B1QY3Y/ref=pd_sim_t_2)

Ironhide (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%95%E3%8 2%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E5%A4%89%E5%BD%A2-%E3%83%98%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B1%E3%82%A4-C-11-%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%8F%E3%8 2%A4%E3%83%89/dp/B001B1T1FM/ref=pd_sim_t_11).

I'm liking the semi-transparent windows and stripe on Ironhide, not really sold on the chrome headlights, or the chrome on Galvatron for that matter.

kup
1st September 2008, 03:40 PM
Awesome! Takara has exceeded my expectations with Ironhide as I thought they would screw up the alt mode windows but they didn't! When it comes to the wheels, I am not fussed, I can add that detailing myself.

To me Henkei Galvatron looks better than Hasbro's but not by a huge margin so if you have Hasbro's its not worth getting Henkei's. However I am not that fond of the mold so technically I don't like any version although I plan to get Henkei because of the character.

Edit: I compared both Hasbro's and Henkei Galvatron pics...I change my mind as I am starting to lean more towards the Universe version mainly because of the chromed shoulder. The figure was already somewhat asymmetrical and the chrome has made it much worse. I prefer the purple on Henkei than Universe as well as the more tasteful red spots than fluro orange but the chrome is a bit garish in this figure and has a more negative impact than Hasbro's defects.

I may get Universe assuming it doesn't have a massive QC problem like Prowl but I am still on the fence as both versions have different but equally bad issues in my opinion.

FFN
1st September 2008, 04:15 PM
What the hell did they do to Galvatron? Why is the entire turret chrome? :eek:

Henkei Ironhide looks MUUUUUUCH better :) But for some reason Tomy didn't paint the same areas that Hasbro didn't paint (wheels, vents under the headlights). Odd.

I'm on the fence about the yellow stripe. Its a bit early 80s looking for a 2008 vehicle.

autobreadticon
1st September 2008, 06:17 PM
Ironhide is a big improvement - the front bullbar (waist) should of been chromed

Galvatron is just bad, Hasbro has the orange detail but Henkei looks rather dull without them

Robzy
1st September 2008, 06:28 PM
Ironhide looks MUCH better in these pics - Yay... grey face! The red looks much deeper too - like Starscream's!

I think I prefer this Galvatron too! The purple looks richer, and I love that there's no crappy orange on it, like Hasbro's!

GoktimusPrime
1st September 2008, 06:31 PM
They look better than Hasbro's. I'm definitely sold on Ironhide - undecided atm about Galvatron. *shrug*

kup
1st September 2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe better pics of Henkei in the future will help us decide but the asymmetry with the pronounced chrome kills me. If Reprolabels releases stickers that addresses the flaws on Universe (fluro colors, etc) then I will certainly get Universe.

Zippo
1st September 2008, 06:45 PM
Very sold on Ironhide. Galvatron I can take it or leave..

SilverDragon
1st September 2008, 06:46 PM
Henkei Ironhide> Universe Ironhide. PERIOD.

dirge
1st September 2008, 06:58 PM
Having had a good look at Hasbro's Galvatron, I want this Henkei one. The ridiculously bright red plastic on the Universe version is awful. The tank mode needs something to offset the grey, and while chrome isn't my preferred option, I'd much rather that than the insanely bright red plastic Hasbro has gone for.

Ironhide's stripe is love (:

Stompy
1st September 2008, 08:20 PM
Agree with Ironhide looking much better. When I first saw Hasbro Ironhide I thought it was another movie Allspark figure due to the excessive misuse of the bright allspark blue. Now it looks just fine.

Galvatron is ok. I can only stand so much chrome in a figure (Henkei Grimlock, the exception).

kurdt_the_goat
1st September 2008, 08:58 PM
Here's a cleaner pic of Henkei Ratchet prototype posted on japanese retailer AmiAmi (http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/102558)'s website... I was watching their site, hoping they'd put up better quality pics of Ironhide & Galvatron, but instead they've updated with Universe shots and this!
http://www.amiami.com/images/product/main/HOB-FIG-9510.jpg

sifun
1st September 2008, 11:06 PM
i prefer both over the hasbro versions.

Gutsman Heavy
2nd September 2008, 12:09 AM
love Ironhide, but why is Galvatron lavender!? I HATE THAT. Its looks like the same colour as the anime "accurate" reissue they did.

In short
Henkei Ironhide & Universe Galvy for me.

FFN
2nd September 2008, 12:35 AM
TakaraTomy prefers lavender on Galvatron, while Hasbro prefers a darker purple.

A good comparison is Superlink Galvatron G and Energon Galvatron (the latter I consider to be one of Hasbro's finest redecos). It's still my default 'Galvatron' toy.

Looks like Tomy is leaving Hasbro's tampograph lettering alone. Galvatron still has GALV-25 on his turret. Onslaught, Powerglide and Silverbolt retained their Universe lettering as well.

STL
2nd September 2008, 12:38 AM
TakaraTomy prefers lavender on Galvatron, while Hasbro prefers a darker purple.

A good comparison is Superlink Galvatron G and Energon Galvatron (the latter I consider to be one of Hasbro's finest redecos). It's still my default 'Galvatron' toy.

Absolutely! though I have to admit that that does make me sad that they dropped the ball so miserably.

FFN
2nd September 2008, 03:34 AM
Yeah, Galvatron here seems to be a design better suited for an Ultra class than a deluxe class :(

Soundwarp
2nd September 2008, 06:28 AM
Oh poor Galvatron...........

You are so pathetic :(

kup
2nd September 2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah that is my issue with this mold overall. Its too freaking small!

Lord_Zed
2nd September 2008, 10:55 PM
Ironhide looks to be a great improvement, Galvatron is sort of sameish, Like Octane and Ramjet the henkei adds only a little. I could get either of them.

As for the size, while I would like a bigger Galvatron hasbro have a tendencey to make toys bigger but not better. Energon galvatron may have been an awesome repaint, but why so big? At least at deluxe price If I get this Galvatron (and i probably will because the character is rather iconic) I wont feel as ripped of if the toy sucks. I recall buying Energon Thundercracker as he was a great hommage, but then had sever buyers remorse cause the toy was to simple for the price point.

FFN
2nd September 2008, 11:17 PM
Which came first conceptually? Energon Megatron or Superlink Galvatron? Megatron was a leader class because he was meant to easily go toe-to-toe with any Autobot combination.

One has to consider the fact that most Transformers products begin at Hasbro, and they make most of the decisions with regards to size/pricepoint.

Energon Thundercracker?

Lord_Zed
2nd September 2008, 11:34 PM
Oopps I meant Armada Thundercracker, sold him so long ago i've forgoten his real name.

While i'm sure Energon Megs and hence Galvatron were large so they could go toe toe with Prime, being big for the sake of it does not necesarily a good toy make, at least not for me I'd rather by more deluxes than one oversized toy.

GoktimusPrime
3rd September 2008, 12:42 PM
I agree. Energon Megatron/Galvatron is poor value for money for their price point - basically oversized Deluxes. :/

I had Energon Megatron, then later I got Super Link Galvatron for cheap and sold my EN Megatron. I later got Energon Galvatron, so I still have a version of each mould. I much prefer the SL Galvatron toy over the Energon mould.

FFN
3rd September 2008, 08:08 PM
Eh. He's still my default Galvatron. He looks big and legitimately powerful enough to take on any Autobot, and tear out their circuitry with his bare teeth if need be.

kup
3rd September 2008, 11:53 PM
Eh. He's still my default Galvatron. He looks big and legitimately powerful enough to take on any Autobot, and tear out their circuitry with his bare teeth if need be.

I thought Galvatron did that to himself :p

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Galvatroniiteeth.jpg

FFN
3rd September 2008, 11:58 PM
He's biting Fortress Maximus in that picture.

kup
4th September 2008, 12:33 AM
He's biting Fortress Maximus in that picture.

Yeah he is but it looks as if he is biting himself when taken out of context.

FFN
4th September 2008, 01:16 AM
You're right. HE would :p

GoktimusPrime
4th September 2008, 12:31 PM
Except that you can see the voice of the TF being bitten (Fort Max) screaming coming in from off-panel. :p That was a freakin' awesome fight - one of the best melee fights in TF history. :)

Soundwarp
8th September 2008, 06:28 AM
Freaky!

kurdt_the_goat
21st September 2008, 10:22 PM
Just noticed some clearer photos of these have been posted online (japanese retailer Amiami):

http://www.amiami.com/images/product/main/HOB-FIG-9508.jpg
http://www.amiami.com/images/product/review/HOB-FIG-9509_01.jpg
http://www.amiami.com/images/product/main/HOB-FIG-9509.jpg

Paulbot
21st September 2008, 10:31 PM
IMHO, both look good, except for the chrome.

FFN
21st September 2008, 10:51 PM
Ironhide looks great, but Tomy went overboard, even by the standards of this line, on the chrome for Galvatron.

Lord_Zed
21st September 2008, 10:58 PM
Wow those little changes to Ironhide really make the difference. I'm not a huge fan of this mould based on pictures but the Henkei colour scheme makes up for alot of its problems.

Galvatron meanwhile is much of a muchness, sure his got no orange bitz, but the chrome is equaly ugly, and the lavender colourscheme is less intimidating than his universe counterpart. no clear favourte here for me.

kup
21st September 2008, 11:08 PM
Wow those little changes to Ironhide really make the difference. I'm not a huge fan of this mould based on pictures but the Henkei colour scheme makes up for alot of its problems.

Galvatron meanwhile is much of a muchness, sure his got no orange bitz, but the chrome is equaly ugly, and the lavender colourscheme is less intimidating than his universe counterpart. no clear favourte here for me.

For me both Henkei and Universe Galvatron have equally deterring flaws. Their issues are different but they are both as bad and impact the figure visually.

I have preordered Henkei Galvatron and I am in the lookout for the Universe version too. I am thinking of keeping Henkei MIB (Mint in Bubble ;) ) and opening Universe with the intention of pulling him apart and paint all the orange bits to a more presentable color.

Thanatos
21st September 2008, 11:12 PM
Wow... I think Henkei Ironhide might be the only way for me to go :|

FFN
23rd September 2008, 12:41 AM
For me both Henkei and Universe Galvatron have equally deterring flaws. Their issues are different but they are both as bad and impact the figure visually.

I have preordered Henkei Galvatron and I am in the lookout for the Universe version too. I am thinking of keeping Henkei MIB (Mint in Bubble ;) ) and opening Universe with the intention of pulling him apart and paint all the orange bits to a more presentable color. What you should do is take both figures apart and combining the best looking parts to create the better figure.

lcz128
23rd September 2008, 09:03 AM
Henkei for me hands down.

1) sucker for chrome
2) Galvie hasn't the orange parts - and they were really, really terrible. (It's what's making me NOT want to buy him :b)

That said, I may still pick up a Hasbro Ironhide for custom base purposes :D

kup
23rd September 2008, 02:58 PM
What you should do is take both figures apart and combining the best looking parts to create the better figure.

Yeah but I don't like to sacrifice one good (condition) toy for another. The only time in which I would combine toy parts like that is if one of them is an absolute beyond repair junker.

Regardless, I generally like the look of Universe Galvatron but the pink bits ruin it completely but its easier to address than Henkei Galvatron which has the imposing chrome and the same bright purple used in the Galvatron reissue which does not fit this mold in my opinion.

However the Henkei does have a better looking Tank mode.

I am torn between the two so I will get both and deal with Universe's pink/orange bits.