PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Construction Materials

Jinto
31st January 2015, 11:33 PM
Perhaps this could be a useful thread for people to post in when they need help finding certain materials?

I'm looking for thin sheet plastic exactly half an inch wide. It only needs to be thin, 1mm or so. Could anyone suggest where I could find something like that? I'm looking for about 1 meter of it.

Cheers guys. :)

M-bot
1st February 2015, 09:53 PM
My local hobby shop had styrene which is great for customs, and it is sold in various thicknesses, but it tends to come in pieces about A4 sized. It would be easy enough to cut into strips 1/2 an inch wide, but you would have several shorter lengths rather that a full metre strip. It's reasonably cheap. I'm curious as to what you have in mind - care to share?:) Best of luck regardless!

Deonasis
2nd February 2015, 12:33 AM
A left-field cheaper but dodgier option is scoring a big plastic tub with a stanley knife into the strips you need. Have a good think whether this lower grade plastic is sufficient enough for your purposes (as we don't exactly know them).

Sharky
2nd February 2015, 08:33 AM
Perhaps this could be a useful thread for people to post in when they need help finding certain materials?

I'm looking for thin sheet plastic exactly half an inch wide. It only needs to be thin, 1mm or so. Could anyone suggest where I could find something like that? I'm looking for about 1 meter of it.

Cheers guys. :)

If you cant find something in hobby shops you might want to hit up some plastic suppliers/manufacturers

Below are some Sydney based ones I am sure there are Melbourne equivalents

All Sale Plastic (http://perspex-lp.com.au/parts?atrkid=V1ADWB3B0983D-12155335596-k-plastic%20supplier-44304799116-p-g-m-1t1)

Plastix (http://www.plastix.com.au/)

below has a Melbourne contact:

The Plastic Factory (http://www.plasticsfactory.com.au/)

Lint
2nd February 2015, 08:52 AM
If you cant find something in hobby shops you might want to hit up some plastic suppliers/manufacturers

Good advice. If you ring around some plastic fabricators they may have offcuts or other bits they can spare you.

I know Alternative Plastics in North Melbourne doesn't mind people trawling through their skips out the front for offcuts, you should go during business hours though to be safe as I think they lock their gates.

Jinto
2nd February 2015, 11:16 AM
Those are some great ideas, thanks guys! Thanks for the links Sharky.

My local hobby shop had styrene which is great for customs, and it is sold in various thicknesses, but it tends to come in pieces about A4 sized. It would be easy enough to cut into strips 1/2 an inch wide, but you would have several shorter lengths rather that a full metre strip. It's reasonably cheap. I'm curious as to what you have in mind - care to share?:) Best of luck regardless!

That styrene might be just the thing... I'll have to pick up an exacto knife at the same time. This particular request was actually about putting together a model Millennium Falcon. I have the old ERTL mould with huge thick side walls I'm going to try & replace for accuracy.

Jinto
5th May 2015, 02:10 PM
Hey guys.

I'm still on the look out for plastic strips. I found what I'm looking for online HERE (http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/evg/evg363.htm) but would prefer to buy locally (Melbourne, or at least Australia) if possible. If anyone knows a place I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thurmus
5th May 2015, 02:53 PM
I am looking for thicker foil than the one you use on food to make corrugated iron for a diorama.
Everyone says like the foil on top of yoghurt but I need it in silver and sheets.

Thanks in advance.

UltraMarginal
6th May 2015, 10:10 AM
I am looking for thicker foil than the one you use on food to make corrugated iron for a diorama.
Everyone says like the foil on top of yoghurt but I need it in silver and sheets.

Thanks in advance.

Just spitballing, but would corrugated cardboard with a flat side peeled off and the corrugations painted silver suit your needs?

Thurmus
6th May 2015, 12:20 PM
I had contemplated that but I don't think I could do it without trashing it.

Jinto
6th May 2015, 04:15 PM

Thanks in advance.

Maybe corrugated lasagna sheets? They might be a bit brittle but as long as you don't get them wet you should be ok. Perhaps lacquer them with nail polish before painting, to waterproof them?

CBratron
6th May 2015, 04:38 PM
Hobbyco and Riot Arts and Crafts should have corrugated plastic or metal sheets for building model railroad buildings.

SMHFConvoy
6th May 2015, 07:53 PM
If you gently score one side of sheet styrene and fold it you could make your own corrugated plastic.

I have also heard that:

old plastic gift cards are good custom fodder

Copy paper drenched in superglue is an alternative to styrene (although you may need to glue 2 sheets together for ideal thickness.)

spiderken17
7th May 2015, 07:48 PM
Just spitballing, but would corrugated cardboard with a flat side peeled off and the corrugations painted silver suit your needs?

That's is what I used to use for wargaming corrugated iron. you can pick what size corrugations you want by using different cardboard.
Also, the corrugations are nice and uniform.