PDA

View Full Version : RUMOUR - Generations CW Optimus Maximus and Cyclonus

Tober
2nd February 2015, 11:16 AM
Database info find from TFW2005 member Mr. Chaos
(http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1033047-combiner-wars-cyclonus-confirmed-white-optimus-name-revealed.html)

Even more rumors have arrived! TFW2005 boards member Mr. Chaos reports that his friend had gone digging through a list of items in the product information database at his store (a large supercenter), and came across some new Generations Combiner Wars figure names.

First off, it appears as though we will be getting a Voyager Cyclonus! It seems he will be the wave-mate of Protectobot Hot Spot, as both have similar coding (Hot Spot is B2397, and Cyclonus is B2398), and are one digit off in UPC (Hot Spot is 63050929832, and Cyclonus is 63050929833). Secondly, the previously-reported white Voyager Optimus Prime redeco will be named Optimus Maximus, and will be in wave 4 (his code is B2727, with the UPC 63050932502).

Zommael
2nd February 2015, 11:36 AM
If that's the case, my guesses were right off the mark. But Optimus Maximus now? Surely that's got to be a new character - he has Ultra Magnus/Nova's colouring but looks like Prime. How strange.

Jinto
2nd February 2015, 12:25 PM
Whaaaa, MTMTE Cyclonus?! :D

...as a combiner. Hmm, I guess he won't look much like the comic. Still, could be cool. :cool:

Paulbot
2nd February 2015, 12:43 PM
Down the thread at TFW2005, the new smartphone game has a Cyclonus that's assumed to be a Silverbolt repaint (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1033047-combiner-wars-cyclonus-confirmed-white-optimus-name-revealed-4.html#post12162113).

Sinnertwin
2nd February 2015, 01:18 PM
Interesing...

Bidoofdude
2nd February 2015, 01:23 PM
Cyclonus, I can skip. Finally, something I can skip. I'll be skipping the white prime (unless the individual robot is somehow Thunderclash), Rodimus, Viper and possibly Skywarp.

griffin
2nd February 2015, 02:50 PM
Down the thread at TFW2005, the new smartphone game has a Cyclonus that's assumed to be a Silverbolt repaint (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1033047-combiner-wars-cyclonus-confirmed-white-optimus-name-revealed-4.html#post12162113).

That rubs me the wrong way. I know they probably have a requirement of at least two decos of each mode, but that is so forced, it spoils the classic character of Cyclonus being a cybertronian fighter jet... not an earthen passenger plane.

I guess it opens it up for a possible Decepticon Seeker combiner... either with the Air Raid mould used four times, or the Firefly and Skydive mould used for a seeker each (if Cyclonus is a whole new alt-mode, why not a Seeker or two with a whole new alt-mode... after all, the Leader Thundercracker is more of an F-14 instead of F-15 of the Gen1 toy).

Hang on... I just checked the GEN DLX Air Raid toy images, and it's been changed to a swing-wing F-14 as well. :confused:
The Gen1 Air Raid was F-15 like the Seeker jets, which would have made it a possible successor of the old Classics Seeker Deluxe mould... throw in the fact that the Legends Seeker mould is a mostly F-22 (Raptor) design, and the Leader Thundercracker is a mostly F-14, for some reason Hasbro is staying away from the F-15 design now. :confused:

That kinda puts a hole in my Decepticon Jet combiner theory... unless Hasbro are now giving the Seeker Jets the F-14 design to give them even more redeco options. If it wasn't enough that the F-15 design could squeeze out 31 different decos/remoulds from the Classics mould (and at least 20 from the Gen1 mould), now it allows an extra two toys from future F-14 Seeker moulds - Jetfire and Air Raid. Excessive milking much? :rolleyes:

Jinto
2nd February 2015, 03:12 PM
Excessive milking much? :rolleyes:
I believe it was Spider-Man who said "With great parsimony comes great reuseability".

Besides, since Motormaster is supposed to be a pretty poor Menasor torso maybe Cyclonus would be a good stand-in.

prjkt
2nd February 2015, 05:01 PM
That Cyclonus seems to be a significant retool based on the game art...

New wings, could be a new front section of the jet...

Still unconvinced, but will reserve judgement until I see a shot of the actual figure.

Depending on design/deco, I *might* skip the last Autobot wave, as I already have representations of each character. Looking forward to Defensor though.

griffin
2nd February 2015, 05:11 PM
If Cyclonus is from the Silverbolt toy... it would be a very tricky thing to swap out enough parts like wings to look more like Gen1 Cyclonus, because of how many parts on the Silverbolt toy have to line up in the three modes to lock tabs into slots.

Zommael
2nd February 2015, 05:47 PM
Cyclonus does seem like a very random choice, but I wonder if it indicates a desire/decision on Hasbro's part to make all the redecos/retools in the CW line characters who were not previously combiners. That fits with Optimus Prime (okay, pretool) and the rumoured "Masquerade" redecos. If I'm right about that, though, it would mean Hot Spot will almost certainly not be getting retooled into Onslaught at some later point. However, the speculation about the Combaticons has always left me wondering why Hasbro would release another Bruticus so soon after the last one, other than the obvious synergy of CW.

It doesn't fit with Slingshot and Wildrider at all, but those seem kind of odd in the first place. They might be exclusives, or could be false rumours after all (heck, all the rumours could be false). Another possibility is that they have decided to expand the line this year unexpectedly and there's more to come than we thought.

At least there's less than two weeks until Toy Fair, and hopefully we'll find out.

Firestorm
2nd February 2015, 06:42 PM
hmm, cyclonus is a pretty odd choice for a silverbolt repaint, but whatever, chances are I won't be getting it, but I hope it looks cool.
Based on the pic it looks like it's his G1 design not his IDW/MTMTE design

I got that smartphone game where the Cyclo-bolt pic comes from,

all the playable characters are in their CHUG designs, with a large focus on recent genereations toys, there are however a few oddities,

On top of the already seen Cyclonus remold of Silver bolt
Joyride: G1 Design? New Toy? Almost looks like he could be a 2014 Generations Voyager Roadbuster Remold, but the Roadbuster model in game looks different to that. possibly even an Energon Cliffjumper/Beachcomber repaint. not sure what to make of it
Viper: CW Legends Powerglide Repaint
Octane: it could just be his Universe design but it looks a little too simple for that

Defcon
2nd February 2015, 06:45 PM
Wasn't there some news about CW continuing for another year? Its not really confirmed yet though is it, as we only just started this year :p but if its successful there are future plans. No doubt a rumored Cyclonus and Optimus Maximus will present some strange releases into the future.
With Cyclonus what if they go with a targetmaster theme, having Scourge, Misfire, Triggerhappy and Slugslinger as the limbs. Could be retools of the aerialbots. Would seem forced maybe, but remember Ruination with the Wreckers from the war for cybertron combaticon molds.

Optimus Maximus I really have no idea, but maybe they chose this name just to milk Optimus Prime some more :D but maybe its actually meant to be someone else. The Bio might reveal something. Bruticus may end up seeing a release, but perhaps as a boxset release only, with repaints and retools.

SharkyMcShark
2nd February 2015, 07:45 PM
Re Cyclonus I'm interested to see (assuming it is a Silverbolt repaint) how much retooling happens - Leader TC and Dlx IDW Chromia recently demonstrate that they're willing to put a bit more effort in than new head and a new gun.

Paulbot
2nd February 2015, 08:01 PM
I'd be disappointed if Silverbolt didn't get a purple repaint ;)

http://40.media.tumblr.com/0a014c47c0c5115adede8c77a8a316fc/tumblr_nj4z4v3ONT1qbguy1o1_500.jpg (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers-toys/gallery/universe/silverbolt/627/1/)

DELTAprime
2nd February 2015, 08:13 PM
I'll skip both of these. I hoped we were done with white repaints of Prime. If Cyclonus doesn't look more MTMTY than my Henkei figure it sure isn't going in my collection.

Bidoofdude
2nd February 2015, 08:15 PM
Re Cyclonus I'm interested to see (assuming it is a Silverbolt repaint) how much retooling happens - Leader TC and Dlx IDW Chromia recently demonstrate that they're willing to put a bit more effort in than new head and a new gun.

If the art is any indication, it looks to be a pretty heavy retool.

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd February 2015, 08:19 PM
On the one hand, I'd be all up for a new Cyclonus. The Deluxe is great in robot mode, alright-ish in alt-mode, but I'm quite a fan of the character and he really should be bigger.
On the other, I'm not sure that a Silverbolt remold will do it, unless it's really extensive. Jet mode is by far CW Silverbolt's weakest.

Will wait and see, and hope for the best.