PDA

View Full Version : Combiners: Hasbro or Takara ?

serialmonkey
7th February 2015, 10:25 AM
Hi guys

My son has reached that age now where he is collecting his own lines using his pocket money. He will no doubt grab all the new RID Warriors, so I was thinking I might import the Takara Adventure line for something different. Ok, no issues here.

But what about the Combiners line ? I see that the only real movement from Takara here is the Superion gift set under the Unite Warriors tag. Would we expect that all the combiners that Hasbro release would, eventually, see a Takara release ?

Sorry for the n00b question, the only Takara I've collected so far is Masterpiece

Thanks
Mark

SMHFConvoy
7th February 2015, 11:05 AM
Well the takara aerial bots set does come with slingshot while hasbro has replaced slingshot with alpha bravo. Also I think the takara superion has white feet and hands that and it's a complete set as opposed to hasbro selling it's aerial bots separately.

prjkt
7th February 2015, 12:14 PM
Takara will most likely release most of the CW sets, maybe a little different (ie a repaint for Wildrider as they've done for Slingshot) and probably slightly different, more G1 paint jobs.

So far I'm not convinced of the need for the Takara when I have Hasbro already, however the set price for Superion is a lot cheaper than I expected, so the choice is yours

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Takara's releases for mainline figures are always later than that of Hasbro, so you're in for a little wait.

ampoldj
7th February 2015, 12:17 PM
Prices are just about the same...so for me just depends on the box packaging Takara will soon reveal...

Ode to a Grasshopper
7th February 2015, 01:42 PM
I imagine that all of the G1 teams will get a Takara release sooner or later, probably with substitutions for non-"G1" characters where appropriate/doable. For instance, Defensor is purportedly getting a new character as a limb and (ironically) using Groove as a weapon (http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/index.php?act=view&char=Groove). So to make a TT Defensor 'G1 accurate' they'd have to engineer an entire new mold, or possibly try and shoehorn the probable Afterburner mold as Groove instead, neither of which seems likely. So, TT Defensor will still probably feature a new character, the same as the Hasbro version.
I'm not sure about some sets like the fan-made combiner thing going atm, but you should at least be able to get all the 80s combiner groups.

My question, though, is this: if I'm understanding you correctly you seem to be saying it's for your young son, who's buying them with his own pocket money. Given the increased cost involved and his (presumably) not being attached to the old G1 characters as we (wo)man-children, it seems to me you/he'd be better off going for whichever release was more affordable. Unless you've introduced him to the old cartoons and he's into them rather than Transformers in general (with exceptions for RiD), then I don't see it making that much difference which version he gets as long as he likes/enjoys them.

If you mean 'How do I get a different set for me', then I imagine the deco might be a bit different for Takara, but really...just get what you like. If there's overlap you can just keep them separately and/or wait to open them until Junior is into the next line/wave of whatever floats his boat.
EDIT - and of course there's always the 3rd Party option, if you and your budget are comfortable with that.

Bladestorm
7th February 2015, 06:45 PM
I haven't seen the Takara CW's yet, so can't comment on their playability but I have the Hasbro Superion set (and Optimus) and they are highly playable toys. Optimus is LOADs of fun, Superion is challenging enough to put together to know you're playing with a Transformer yet simple enough that you don't feel utterly stumped by him (ie ideal for kids in the 10 to 15 age range).

My 7 year old has a blast playing with them when I pull Superion down from time to time and I am contemplating whether to replace the Hasbro one with the Takara release for myself and give my son the Hasbro set as his own. The Hasbro CW so far seem to handle being played with in real play scenarios really well from my personal experience.
Having said this, my son ADORES the G1 cartoon so he is well versed in combiners (and hanging out for Devistator) and he does take particular care when playing with his (or my) Transformers because he takes great pride in displaying them.

Deonasis
7th February 2015, 07:27 PM
I preordered the Takara jets and now have to wait till their release in June. The figures are attracting that much praise that I almost dislike reading their review threads. :(

serialmonkey
7th February 2015, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone

I definitely meant "get something different for me", so my main concern was starting to collect the Takara releases and finding they missed major gesalts that Hasbro has already announced. Sounds like if I'm patient Takara will most likely release the majority. Just a little concerning that Superion is the only one on the books, and for June release !

I'll be patient ;-)

Doubledealer
7th February 2015, 11:39 PM
Hasbro Menasor comes out next month and looks spot on, I can't imagine the Takara version being much of an improvement (Hasbro Wildrider is on his way too if you're a G1 purist). Maybe wait for Takara Superion if you really want that version and snag Hasbro Menasor to make the wait a bit more bearable?

Zippo
8th February 2015, 04:08 PM
First thing to teach - go with what you want, not what the rest of the internet wants you to go with.

I go Japanese for most things because they put in a little bit extra for roughly the same (when you have to import both). However for the Combiners I have purchased Wave 1 and will purchase Wave 2 of the Hasbro versions because they are coming out so much quicker and I have been so "pumped" to get the toys.

I did the same in 2006 when Classics hit, as it was around 18 months before Japan released their versions

However, I don't go Japan only as Hasbro do release some toys that never see light in Japan so on the safe side, I have also been known to purchase Hasbro only to then sell Hasbro if Japan releases

DELTAprime
8th February 2015, 07:33 PM
Um, maybe I'm dead wrong on this as I'm not a parent, but isn't it up to the collector what he/she collects. I mean for me growing up with G1 reruns and VHS tapes I'll always go with a G1 deco cartoon deco like Takara normally goes with. But I'm sure theres someone out there that's wants the "cooler looking deco" of the two or a comic or toy accurate deco.

Also note that if you go with TAV instead of RID2015 they will not work with the RID app. Also remember RID2015 and CW are both coming out here so theres instant gratification of buying it and having it right away.

Trent
8th February 2015, 09:00 PM
Um, maybe I'm dead wrong on this as I'm not a parent, but isn't it up to the collector what he/she collects. I mean for me growing up with G1 reruns and VHS tapes I'll always go with a G1 deco cartoon deco like Takara normally goes with. But I'm sure theres someone out there that's wants the "cooler looking deco" of the two or a comic or toy accurate deco.

Also note that if you go with TAV instead of RID2015 they will not work with the RID app. Also remember RID2015 and CW are both coming out here so theres instant gratification of buying it and having it right away.

You're assuming that these toys will be easy to find in-store. For quite a few of us, history proves otherwise.

UltraMarginal
9th February 2015, 06:17 PM
I feel like it's a reasonable assumption to expect Takara to release all the major combiners in their own time.
as others have mentioned they may or may not have significantly different deco's or team setups. ie the aerialbots.

one thing to keep in mind, especially if you are happy with a Hasbro Deco and are yet to hear of the Takara Version, we are still to hear anything about Takara releasing their version of Generations Skids and it's been over a year since Hasbro announced, and nearly a year since Hasbro first released their version.

Mido
3rd July 2015, 08:55 AM
Sorry to drag out this thread but it seems appropriate now since both Takara and hasbro has released? Which one is better?
I'm wondering if I need to get the Takara devastator when I have preordered the hasbro ones.

Handsprime
3rd July 2015, 09:00 AM
If you plan to display one in Devastator mode and 1 in robot/vehicle mode, then grab both (Hasbro for Devastator, and TakaraTomy for the rest)

GoktimusPrime
3rd July 2015, 09:44 AM
The TakaraTOMY version definitely looks nicer, and of course, Scrapper has better elbow articulation as a robot. But drawbacks are:
* Later release; December 2015 (so some may arrive as late as January 2016)
* More expensive. Pre-orders are at around $240 before shipping; so when you factor in shipping, it does make the toy substantially more expensive than getting a local Hasbro version. Although another advantage with pre-ordering the TakTOM version is that you don't have to go through all the trouble of finding a local Hasbro version. :rolleyes: :p

So yeah, both options have their pros and cons, it all depends on what you think is worth it to you.

If you've already pre-ordered the Hasbro one, then your options are:
* Cancel the Hasbro pre-order (if you can) if you choose to get the TakaraTOMY one
* Get both and sell one
* Keep both and display alternatively as Handsprime has suggested

Mido
3rd July 2015, 11:29 AM
Sounds like everyone is leaning towards the takara. Guess both it is!
Displaying both in differernt modes sounds interesting! lol.

Trying to find the different deluxe was quite annoying. Its all Hasbro's ploy!

FYI PC is preselling at 210. :) Gonna preorder later!

drifand
3rd July 2015, 11:55 AM
I am in a situation where I don't have the hasbro and takara is offering at PC at just $10 more delivered.

The main question is whether takara version is compromised on the legs.

No reason why by default hasbro is the sole choice for devy and takara is not.

BigTransformerTrev
3rd July 2015, 12:18 PM
Hasbro is cheaper and you have the chance of finding it here so not import/shipping fee's.

Takara has (usually) superior paint jobs and more G1 accurate character rosters

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd July 2015, 12:34 PM
The thing that annoys me the most about Takara's CW is they are selling them in sets. I like some of the Aerialbots, but am not so keen on Superion, so would have preferred the option of picking one or two up to see if they warranted the jump.

Plus, I think the set selling, while a tradition (I guess) defeats the purpose of the mix n match. You have to buy all the aerialbots at once, but you'll only have planes to pay with until Menasor comes out, then you get ALL the stunticons in one go. But you still have to fork out for the whole lot, even though you might only want Dragstrip.

I also just had a thought, what if TT don't release Sky Lynx?:(

Golden Phoenix
3rd July 2015, 01:09 PM
The scramble city combiners I'm getting Hasbro stuff. It looks fine, and while the Takara stuff looks better, it doesn't look good enough to justify the cost, unlike Henkei used to.

Devi on the other hand I'm leaning towards Takara due to the elbows and guns. If I can get away with paying around the $200 mark I wouldn't be too fussed.

prjkt
3rd July 2015, 01:44 PM
Yeah I'm finding there's less "superior" deco about the Takara Unite Warriors line, just more geewun. Which is ok if that's your thing, but so far I've preferred the Hasbro decos of most of the releases, and the occasional Takara one I like over the Hasbro isn't worth it to me to get the whole set for one or two figures. If I had the space (and budget) to display both - one combined, one set separate, I'd get both brands, but with a limited budget and space I've been forced to pick one.

Which is ok by me, as unlike the United and Takara Generations lines, there's nonmetallic paint, so no super shiny versions which I did double up on in recent years.

So Hasbro get's my vote, as I don't have to buy the whole team in one hit, and price is usually ok.

millhouse
3rd July 2015, 01:46 PM
If only we get a Hasbro Rook deluxe...

philby
4th July 2015, 11:53 PM
do we know anything about takara's level of involvement with these? some people, especially on the tfw2005 forum seem very vocal about how bad hasbro is at everything and takara is always better. from what we can see apart from groove, hasbro is basically doing everything here and then takara takes it and slightly adjusts paint apps etc. it doesn't seem very fair to say hasbro's version sucks when maybe there wouldn't even be another option without them doing this line.

serialmonkey
5th July 2015, 01:24 AM
I also just had a thought, what if TT don't release Sky Lynx?:(

Then you will be able to find me quietly sobbing in a corner somewhere. I've committed to Takara combiner sets now !

M

prjkt
5th July 2015, 01:46 AM
do we know anything about takara's level of involvement with these? some people, especially on the tfw2005 forum seem very vocal about how bad hasbro is at everything and takara is always better. from what we can see apart from groove, hasbro is basically doing everything here and then takara takes it and slightly adjusts paint apps etc. it doesn't seem very fair to say hasbro's version sucks when maybe there wouldn't even be another option without them doing this line.

This seems to be the prevailing attitude, grass is greener and all that, but Hasbro releases first, and Takara charges more, so yeah, it's going to be "better."

However I think from memory one company will start the design process (either Hasbro OR Takara) and then it bounces between the two companies in terms of moulding/transformation etc, the each company chooses their own paint budget and designs accordingly. Occasionally one of the companies will do their own thing (see Groove and the Prime Jet Vehicons) that the other can't/won't use, for cost/safety/market reasons.

I believe in this case, Hasbro started the Combiner Wars thing rolling, based on Takara's "surprise" at Alpha Bravo's inclusion.

ampoldj
5th July 2015, 11:20 AM
For me ive decided to combine both... Im getting the Takara sets and everything not released by Takara like the new combiner members, i will go with Hasbro.

If only im not into MPs i would get both.