PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on QLD members

Sam
20th February 2015, 10:05 PM
Hello, just wondering if all QLD members are doing okay given the current weather conditions ?

Burn
21st February 2015, 09:24 AM
You mean the blue skies and temps in the high 30's weather? :cool:

I kid ... I have to kid. News has been ridiculous the last few days basically making it sound like ALL of Queensland is in danger.

Unless Far North Queensland did cede from the rest of Queensland and Bob Katter forgot to tell us. :p

But seriously, anyone caught up in Marcia, I know what you're going through (all too well). Take it from me, you WILL recover. It'll take a while but you will make it through it.

Akky82
21st February 2015, 10:07 AM
You mean the blue skies and temps in the high 30's weather? :cool:

I kid ... I have to kid. News has been ridiculous the last few days basically making it sound like ALL of Queensland is in danger.

Unless Far North Queensland did cede from the rest of Queensland and Bob Katter forgot to tell us. :p

But seriously, anyone caught up in Marcia, I know what you're going through (all too well). Take it from me, you WILL recover. It'll take a while but you will make it through it.

I see blue skies and 30 degree weather! But i'm in melbourne for a work thing yesterday... my wife decided not to ask her sister to help get sandbags before she went to work, as a result we flooded, 1-2 inches apparently. Thunderstorm due to hit our area again in 20 mins and dump another 200-300mm today... and i'm stuck here thinking i shouldnt go shopping at lobos and northland in case something worse happens... hoping flights arent cancelled tonight

Pig's_A_King
21st February 2015, 11:20 AM
Did you get flooded? Sorry to hear that... Hope Mrs Akky & your home is fine... Just rain in my Areas at moment

Zommael
21st February 2015, 07:00 PM
Pretty big storm in Rocky, but doesn't look like too much damage looking around. Power is out to most of town though, and probably will be for a few days.

Oh and Burn, it hit central and SE Queensland (but was no longer a cyclone by the time it hit SE). Far north QLD was fine!

Burn
21st February 2015, 09:24 PM
I see blue skies and 30 degree weather! But i'm in melbourne for a work thing yesterday... my wife decided not to ask her sister to help get sandbags before she went to work, as a result we flooded, 1-2 inches apparently. Thunderstorm due to hit our area again in 20 mins and dump another 200-300mm today... and i'm stuck here thinking i shouldnt go shopping at lobos and northland in case something worse happens... hoping flights arent cancelled tonight

Damn dude. That sucks. I've been fortunate in that any time we've flooded we've only been cut off, always been high enough to avoid the waters (though since I moved into my new place we haven't had a flood ... here's hoping!)

Oh and Burn, it hit central and SE Queensland (but was no longer a cyclone by the time it hit SE). Far north QLD was fine!

Oh I know. I was taking the mickey out of all the various news reports that were basically saying ALL of Queensland was affected.

We received an e-mail at work from the head office of one of our professional groups to "wishing all Qld members well during this cyclonic event affecting the whole state".

Plus a text message from a friend in Melbourne who was checking in to make sure I was okay. She knows where I live, but the way things were being reported made it sound like Marcia was blanketing the entire state.

kovert
22nd February 2015, 08:30 AM
Very sorry to hear about the flooding Akky. I hope there isn't too much damage to your property and it isn't too overwhelming. There was too much rain in Brisbane in three hours up until 1300 on Sat.

It was upgraded from category 1 to 5 (winds in excess of 280km) in under 24 hours. Central Queensland were it made landfall at category 4 (still really bad) was hardest hit. It would have been very scary.

The news reports at times were indeed inaccurate for Brisbane, especially regarding the classification of the storm system by the time it reached SEQ. It seemed to force people to prepare and not be caught off guard.

Burn
22nd February 2015, 12:38 PM
BOM get a LOT of flack for "getting it wrong", but honestly, give people a bit of a scare and they'll be more prepared.

Just like Yasi though, what Marcia was is really debatable. A lot of the "experts" in the area are saying it was only Cat 1 when it hit, judging by the damage and recorded wind gusts.

Regardless, they're not pleasant things to go through.
(Unless it's like Cyclone Tash from a few Christmases ago that most people slept through)

TAAUBlaster
24th February 2015, 01:04 PM
A lot of tree damage in Rockhampton. We lost a couple of big trees here-completely uprooted. Luckily no damage to our house. Still without power here, but we have water. Yeppoon got hit hard, with a few houses losing their roof sheeting. A couple got demolished completely. Lots and lots of trees and branches over the place. We've been cutting up trees since Saturday. Lost all the food in our fridge too. Ergon have put generators up on some of the bigger traffic lights, but the first night some douchebags stole 4 of the generators :mad:

Very hard to get ice here. And petrol has shot up. One place in town is charging $1.74/L!!

griffin
24th February 2015, 02:32 PM
Ergon have put generators up on some of the bigger traffic lights, but the first night some douchebags stole 4 of the generators :mad:

I saw that on the news last night. That's disgusting behaviour... that and looting from homes and businesses who have already suffered, and often can't be fully covered for natural disasters like cyclones and floods. :mad:

5FDP
24th February 2015, 02:46 PM
BOM get a LOT of flack for "getting it wrong", but honestly, give people a bit of a scare and they'll be more prepared.

Just like Yasi though, what Marcia was is really debatable. A lot of the "experts" in the area are saying it was only Cat 1 when it hit, judging by the damage and recorded wind gusts.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/climate-researcher-questions-cyclone-marcias-category-5-status/story-fnii5v6w-1227236188297

“It’s important that the people of Yeppoon who think they’ve been through a category 5 know they’ve only been through a weak category 3,’’ she said.

"He said the US Joint Typhoon Warning Centre had analysed Marcia as at least a category 4."

"Forecaster Jess Carey said the bureau’s position was that the storm was a category 5."

Who the bloody hell know... :rolleyes: Stay classy Queenslanders.

TAAUBlaster
24th February 2015, 09:29 PM
http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/climate-researcher-questions-cyclone-marcias-category-5-status/story-fnii5v6w-1227236188297

“It’s important that the people of Yeppoon who think they’ve been through a category 5 know they’ve only been through a weak category 3,’’ she said.

"He said the US Joint Typhoon Warning Centre had analysed Marcia as at least a category 4."

"Forecaster Jess Carey said the bureau’s position was that the storm was a category 5."

Who the bloody hell know... :rolleyes: Stay classy Queenslanders.

This is what really annoys me. We're supposed to put our trust in these "experts" but each one of them tells us something completely different.

I saw that on the news last night. That's disgusting behaviour... that and looting from homes and businesses who have already suffered, and often can't be fully covered for natural disasters like cyclones and floods.
It really is! These generators were powering important traffic lights to start with. These dirtbags put lives at risk when they stole those generators. And the looting... This is the time when communities should be pulling together. Its no wonder these days no-one wants to help anyone else. :mad:

We managed to get power back on about 4 pm today. A lot of Gracemere and Rocky is still out though.

Zommael
27th February 2015, 06:31 PM
It was almost certainly a category 4 when it arrived in Rockhampton. After the eye passed over us and on the way out it was at most a category 3. I would suggest it's possible that the same is true of Yeppoon; they got slammed very hard but it would have weakened by the time it left.

Oh, and hey TAAUBlaster! I didn't realise we had any members beside myself who were actually in Rocky!

TAAUBlaster
27th February 2015, 07:07 PM
It was almost certainly a category 4 when it arrived in Rockhampton. After the eye passed over us and on the way out it was at most a category 3. I would suggest it's possible that the same is true of Yeppoon; they got slammed very hard but it would have weakened by the time it left.

Oh, and hey TAAUBlaster! I didn't realise we had any members beside myself who were actually in Rocky!

Actually, I'm in Gracemere, but close enough ;)

How did you fare? You got power back at your place yet?

DELTAprime
27th February 2015, 08:08 PM
Just found this thread. So Gladstone it's self (not the Gladstone Region) only got hit lightly. It was a Cat 1 when it hit, but we were in the outer edge of the cyclone. Some parts of town lost power for a day and from what I understand it was at least partly due to fallen trees which Ergon is supposed to remove so we don't loose power. Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.

TAAUBlaster
27th February 2015, 08:55 PM
Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.

Same thing happened here too for a while. Some people in Rocky didn't have a landline for like 4 days. Our landline was luckily fine, but mobile and internet was dead for a day or two for us.

Burn
27th February 2015, 10:26 PM
Just found this thread. So Gladstone it's self (not the Gladstone Region) only got hit lightly. It was a Cat 1 when it hit, but we were in the outer edge of the cyclone. Some parts of town lost power for a day and from what I understand it was at least partly due to fallen trees which Ergon is supposed to remove so we don't loose power. Landline phones and internet were dodgy for a while after the cyclone. But most concerning from a safety point of view is that mobile phones stopped working.

When the cyclone is nearing they tend to switch the power off anyway to avoid live fallen lines etc. They then have to get out there and inspect the network and start repairs.

I have nothing but respect for linesman. I've seen first hand after Larry and Yasi the amount of work they do, working round the clock, sometimes in crappy weather. It took two weeks for most of the power to be restored each time and that was with crews from down south coming up to help out. So a day without power? They did a great job then.

kovert
27th February 2015, 11:08 PM
Whatever the category, it is not a pleasant experience to go through. Good to hear Central QLD members are safe. Be careful out there.

TAAUBlaster
28th February 2015, 05:39 PM
Couple of pics from some of the damage to our yard.

This tree was about 25 years old. My Dad had planted it when I was a child.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/taaublaster/Marcia_1_zps5aibcozh.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/taaublaster/media/Marcia_1_zps5aibcozh.jpg.html)

The big tree that takes up a good portion of the photo, usually you can't see any daylight through it because it is so dense. It got one hell of a haircut :p
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/taaublaster/Marcia_2_zps7nfpk6fm.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/taaublaster/media/Marcia_2_zps7nfpk6fm.jpg.html)

Zommael
28th February 2015, 10:03 PM
The power still isn't on at our place. My wife gave up this morning and called them... Turns out they have actually forgotten to do the necessary work on our street, somehow. No idea how long this means they'll take to sort it out. But as mych as I understand how difficult it must be to resolve things after ab event like this... Not happy Jan!

TAAUBlaster
1st March 2015, 10:11 AM
wow, that really sucks man! Whereabouts in Rocky are you? (North, South, West, Depot Hill)

5FDP
2nd March 2015, 11:32 AM
The power still isn't on at our place. My wife gave up this morning and called them... Turns out they have actually forgotten to do the necessary work on our street, somehow. No idea how long this means they'll take to sort it out. But as mych as I understand how difficult it must be to resolve things after ab event like this... Not happy Jan!

Oh wow! Earth Hour stresses me out so I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now.

Zommael
2nd March 2015, 11:38 AM
wow, that really sucks man! Whereabouts in Rocky are you? (North, South, West, Depot Hill)

South side, on The Range.

It was finally back on when we got home last night. :)

TAAUBlaster
5th March 2015, 05:24 PM
South side, on The Range.

It was finally back on when we got home last night. :)

Nice! Turn the A/C up to max! :p

Burn
8th March 2015, 06:49 PM
Big rains this week ... and possibly big winds!

Watch all the cyclone loving idiots get all happy!
(Sorry, I really detest people who get excited and wish for a cyclone to come their way)

MV75
8th March 2015, 07:10 PM
I just like the rain. Doesn't have to be big, just steady as it makes work so much easier. :) Storms can bugger off, going to cost me $1000 excess to pull all the dints the one last November did to the car. :( Yea, still on wait list until may.

People that get excited by storms need to get a life really and not rely on the drama it puts them into. I don't get them either.

PROVOST
9th March 2015, 10:46 PM
Not a fan of the temps and humidity in QLD.

Will be glad when it gets more "winter" ish.

Jetfire in the sky
12th March 2015, 12:39 PM
Big rains this week ... and possibly big winds!

Watch all the cyclone loving idiots get all happy!
(Sorry, I really detest people who get excited and wish for a cyclone to come their way)

Yeah I agree, when you've been through a big one they are not something to look forward too. Although we really need some rain in Townsville, this has been the driest wet for many years.

Burn
13th March 2015, 11:08 PM
Although we really need some rain in Townsville, this has been the driest wet for many years.

No you don't, that'll ruin the whole "Brownsville" thing. :p

Jetfire in the sky
15th March 2015, 03:20 PM
No you don't, that'll ruin the whole "Brownsville" thing. :p

LOL we are living up to that this summer :o

Megatran
22nd March 2015, 09:07 PM
Far north QLD copping yet another cyclone. Take care.

Burn
22nd March 2015, 10:59 PM
ah ... that was so last Friday. Fortunately it hit an area not overly populated.

Currently heading across the top of Northern Territory.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDD65001.png?1427023839127