PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - GEN-15 DLX Offroad (combiner)

griffin
4th March 2015, 12:45 AM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)
Impressions of the group or a combiner as a whole can be posted here or in the pre-existing group review topic here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19989) if you prefer.

OFFROAD
Series - Generations
Sub-line - Combiner Wars
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 2
Released here - not yet (out in Asia & America Feb/Mar 2015)
Approximate Retail Price - AU$?? (probably about $30) US$17
Approximate Size - 15cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Pickup truck
Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner limb
Main Colours - Grey, red, aqua
Main Accessories - axe, combiner fist/foot

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/transformers/2015/gen15a16.jpg

prjkt
4th March 2015, 12:53 AM
Subjectively my favourite figure of wave 2. I feel he's got the best articulation with his arms, and an awesome headsculpt that brings thoughts of Springer to mind...

Plus I like axes. And teal.

Solid vehicle mode, though slightly out scale with his wave mates - the narrowest of the Stunticons (like how Alpha Brave is the lightest of the Aerialbots...)

Another similarity with Alpha Brave is that the plastic feels thinner/lighter, but still quite solid compared to the other CW figures, a little less malleable....

Summary: forgot Geewun and get him, you won't regret it.

koolkollectibleskhai
5th March 2015, 08:17 AM
Here's the last of the Deluxe class Stunticons with Offroad.

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Offroad - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Ef8zzSYzK94?list=PLk4bVUAlCip3jj9YdxjCXJuC8MnqLdh4 U)

Not really liking that figure, but mainly cos I just wish they had included a Wildrider instead!

ProphesizedFunk
22nd March 2015, 05:33 PM
Check out my review of Combiner Wars: Deluxe Class Offroad
http://youtu.be/Md7KV0VH0OI

Dimi194
2nd April 2015, 02:32 PM
With no G1 knowledge, I love this guy! The colours are a nice change, and the head sculpt the dream! I think he might be my fav stunticon....

ProphesizedFunk
2nd April 2015, 06:06 PM
I love the Offroad figure has to be my favourite Deluxe of the wave 2 releases.

Fantastic head sculpt, great colours, a fun transformation and so great to pose.

UltimateGalvatron
3rd May 2015, 05:52 PM
Finally got around to opening Offroad up today, he is AWESOME!

i_amtrunks
3rd May 2015, 06:24 PM
Fantastic figure with proper G1 Decepticon colours, matches well with the order figures and works week as an arm or a leg.

Easily my second favourite of the Stunticons, but the more I look at him and transform him, the more I like him.

Trent
3rd May 2015, 07:01 PM
I'm a fan of this guy. Goes great with the other but works really well as a stand alone figure. I love the teal limbs with the lime coloured face.

GoktimusPrime
3rd May 2015, 07:14 PM
I think that Hasbro has learnt some lessons from Alpha Bravo and have done a better job with Off Road. While the alt mode colours still evoke Wildrider, the robot mode colours don't, making him look more like a distinctively new character. IMO Alpha Bravo would've been a nicer toy if he weren't so blatantly sporting Slingshot's colours. And judging from photos, it appears that they've done an even better job with Rook, whose colours don't seem to evoke any pre-existing Protectobot in either robot or alt mode. So as far as I can tell, it does seem that Hasbro are paying attention to what they're doing and trying to make improvements along the way, which is most encouraging. :)

prjkt
4th May 2015, 12:07 AM
I think that Hasbro has learnt some lessons from Alpha Bravo and have done a better job with Off Road. While the alt mode colours still evoke Wildrider, the robot mode colours don't, making him look more like a distinctively new character. IMO Alpha Bravo would've been a nicer toy if he weren't so blatantly sporting Slingshot's colours. And judging from photos, it appears that they've done an even better job with Rook, whose colours don't seem to evoke any pre-existing Protectobot in either robot or alt mode. So as far as I can tell, it does seem that Hasbro are paying attention to what they're doing and trying to make improvements along the way, which is most encouraging. :)

I was comparing photos of Slingshot to Alphabravo, and Wildrider to Off Road, and I was thinking to myself Hasbro did a good job with making the alt-modes match their predecessors colours, while giving the bot modes distinctive colours - Off Road's chest colours and upper upper limbs.

Alpha Bravo got the short end of the stick, with his orange face, although the orange chest and grey head are quite different to Slingshot's colours - so there's still enough to differentiate the two, just not as much as with Wildrider/Off Road

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th May 2015, 09:43 PM
Opened mine today and I like it! Gives me a big Ruckus (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruckus_%28G1%29) feel to this guy more than a new character. Oh and the tfwiki says something about that too.

Well well well.

Shame that they couldnt get the name, as I like him as Ruckus and think he'd fit in to the Stunticons. Got the comic version, that doesn't feature him at all But it does have a nice bio written up. Oddly though, it mentions that the other Stunticons are hesitant to trust Off Road.

Really?
trust?
Stunticons?
Off all the teams, the Stunticons are the least stable. They all have serious emotional issue, which Motormaster uses to bully them. I doubt they ever trust any of their team mates....

Really nice toy though. These combiner wars figs are proving to be simple and fun, without being too simple.
I approve!

BigTransformerTrev
20th May 2015, 09:36 PM
Had a play with him tonight. My thoughts:

Geez - the bio on the back wasn't joking about him using Wildriders colours! :eek: Right down to the silver on the hood and the Decepticon symbol off and down to one side. Add that to the red windows and off-black colouring and they really went the WR colour scheme. To be honest if he's a new character I think they should have gone a new direction, even if it threw off Menasors colour scheme a bit. Especially since it seemed all along that they planned to release Wildrider/Brake-Neck :rolleyes:.

The robot mode is quite good and...

Opened mine today and I like it! Gives me a big Ruckus (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruckus_%28G1%29) feel to this guy more than a new character.

... made me think the same, especially with the hood over the back and the shape of the head combined with the colouring of the face.

Vehicle mode is solid enough. Whilst I do like his hatchet and it looks kinda badass attached to the side of his pickup truck form, I think they missed a perfect opportunity to give him a little turret gun that could have sat in the tray of his truck mode, it would have made a lot of sense by adding firepower to his vehicular form so I don't fully agree with their choice of weapon (a bit like Breakdown getting a sword - he's a paraniod! He wants to do things from a distance, not up close where enemies can look at him :rolleyes:).

So overall not bad, but a toy that cant make up its mind which G1 character its referencing when it didn't have to reference any. I'll be keeping him as part of Menasor and using the Wildrider from the Tak/Tom version for my individual bots display.

prjkt
21st May 2015, 07:15 AM
Tray mount turret will come with the Swindle remould ;)

I like that the robot mode colours are fresh, while the Altmode reflects Wildrider, kinda like, "Yeah, this guy replaces Wildrider, but he's also his own bot" type reasoning.

BigTransformerTrev
21st May 2015, 09:28 AM
a bit like Breakdown getting a sword - he's a paraniod! He wants to do things from a distance, not up close where enemies can look at him :rolleyes:

Actually, thinking about it, I could see a psychotic Breadkdown sitting on a prone enemies chest furiously stabbing them in the optics over and over with his sword and screaming incoherently "STOP LOOKING AT ME! STOP LOOKING AT ME!" :p

prjkt
21st May 2015, 10:11 AM
At least the sword doubles as a rifle...
Which kinda works for his personality - shooting away, then flipping out at the tree next to him and cutting it down.

shockNwave
24th August 2015, 09:09 PM
The inclusion of aqua/teal works surprisingly well with Offroad. My only gripe is the goblin green of his face. Another point is that when it comes to carrying weapons in vehicle mode this guy's the best, he has four holes at the back that raises the question as to what kind of variations can be created as he carry's the weapons of the other stunticons.

So I find him to be the best stunticon so far (because I'm yet to open Motormaster).;)