PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Banff!

WolfenBaz
5th March 2015, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Just joined after years of lurking over at TFW2005 and only occasionally popping my head in over here to search for a thing or two. As the title suggests I currently live in Banff (Canada, for the non-skiers/boarders) and its a respectable -12ºC right now.

I'm from Ipswich (outside of Brisbane) and I'm planning on moving home soon, hopefully in the next two months, as I've been over here for over 4 years now and I'm sick of 8 months of cold weather (temp. can get down to -40ºC sometimes during the winter...) Anyway enough about that, let's get to the plastic crack.

Born in '84, I grew up with Transformers, GI Joe and MASK (my holy trinity as it were) and including LEGO (Castle) were the main things that were strewn all over the place on any given day. I spent hours setting up elaborate battles on the pool table (and sometimes in the pool) and going to the last man (or bot) standing. I had a few G1 toys; Aerialbots, Stunticons, Ramjet and Sunstreaker were the big ones so to speak. I had a decent amount of random smaller bots that are all still around somewhere in a tub. In terms of the cartoons, G1 is what I am all about, I saw a few eps here and there of beast wars and recently watched TF Prime on netflix over here. There was many years between BW and TFP where I wasn't collecting and missed all the stuff in between.

I'm currently collecting only (trying) Masterpiece TF, and am especially looking forward to this years offerings. I have skipped a few TT MPs like Star Sabre (no idea he existed) and G2 bumblebee (canary yellow is all i need), Soundwave (picked up the Hasbro version in NYC) and some of the older ones (MP1-3). My big issue is that I usually (mostly) get all my purchases mailed to Australia, so the majority of what I've bought I have not seen in person yet. So as some of you can imagine I'm quite keen to get home and see the "pile of loot" that I've amassed over the past 4+ years haha.

My favourite TFs are Skywarp and Grimlock, whilst Tracks and Sunstreaker are my carbots.

Anyways, thanks for reading my wall of text! Hope to see you all around. =)

Trent
5th March 2015, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the boards :) When you get back here you're gonna need to lock yourself away for a month to play with all those toys :D

And Banff huh? I'm very jealous. I mountain bike a bit (although I haven't had a chance since the little one was born) and although I've only tried it a few times, love snowboarding too. So, when I eventually get over there, I'll have to hit you up for all the hot tips :D

WolfenBaz
5th March 2015, 10:11 AM
Thanks! Yeah it might take a few weeks to organise it all, although my girlfriend will not be impressed that I spend my first month back in Australia playing with toys (she's Canadian). We haven't had a good season for snow this year, been warmer than usual and intermittent snow falls but there's enough to get by. I know Whistler/Blackcomb shuts down Whistler a month earlier to get the biking tracks ready for the summer.. you just will have to deal with all the other Aussies there haha.

UltraMarginal
5th March 2015, 11:35 AM
Banff, nice!

My wife and I passed through Jasper and Banff on our Honeymoon (2009). I don't know how much snow you've seen in Australia but when we were at Blackcomb the week after the official season had ended and they still had the slopes open, people were complaining about the quality of the snow and I would happily say it beats our better mid winter snow.

welcome aboard

WolfenBaz
5th March 2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Congrats on the honeymoon (belated) it really is a beautiful part of the world. I lived and worked in Jasper for two years as well. Yeah blackcomb mountain they keep open for another month usually to the end of may.

Any reason why the collection showcase part of the forum is blank? Do I need a higher ranking first?

entourage7
5th March 2015, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the boards.... I have a friend living in Banff, she loves it. Your a QLDer...... great to see (former Cairns boy). Bloody hot in QLD, North QLD expecting a Cyclone next week. Wait till you see the new toys, I think you will love MP 22 - Ultra Magnus...... Excellent engineering. I am loving this toy, so much fun.

Chat soon, enjoy the boards,

Dan

Trent
5th March 2015, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Congrats on the honeymoon (belated) it really is a beautiful part of the world. I lived and worked in Jasper for two years as well. Yeah blackcomb mountain they keep open for another month usually to the end of may.

Any reason why the collection showcase part of the forum is blank? Do I need a higher ranking first?

Hang around and participate, it won't take long for you to get bumped up a few ranks :)

WolfenBaz
6th March 2015, 02:43 AM
Welcome to the boards.... I have a friend living in Banff, she loves it. Your a QLDer...... great to see (former Cairns boy). Bloody hot in QLD, North QLD expecting a Cyclone next week. Wait till you see the new toys, I think you will love MP 22 - Ultra Magnus...... Excellent engineering. I am loving this toy, so much fun.

Chat soon, enjoy the boards,

Dan

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the heat, and another cyclone? Hopefully the damage won't be too bad and everyone will be okay. The first time I missed home was in 2011 when Qld got hit by the floods. I felt like I needed to do something but was helpless because I was over here.

Magnus eh? I shall put him towards the top of the pile then. I'm looking forward to Tracks and I might double dip for the first time due to what he'll be supposedly coming with. I've only got Streak, YOTH Prime and Hasbro Sunstorm here to look at but now they're boxed up ready to ship. I'll have to take a pic of all the stuff I've bought when I get home before i dive in haha.

Hang around and participate, it won't take long for you to get bumped up a few ranks :)

Awesome, will do. I look forward to coming home and I just read in another thread about an online retailer based in Brisbane that should be able to satisfy my plastic addiction :P

entourage7
7th March 2015, 01:11 AM
yeah man, 2011 was a big year, i missed the floods (great to see people come together, comm spirit), but had to go through yasi. the masterpiece line has really got its act together since mp-09, look forward to seeing the collection, enjoy yhe trip back home

WolfenBaz
7th March 2015, 08:05 AM
yeah man, 2011 was a big year, i missed the floods (great to see people come together, comm spirit), but had to go through yasi. the masterpiece line has really got its act together since mp-09, look forward to seeing the collection, enjoy yhe trip back home

Haha yeah I look forward to seeing it too! :P I only managed to pick up the Hasbro trailerless version of Rodimus, saw the black version in a store in LA but was too much, maybe the red version I would have succumbed and bought it. I've been looking at people's collections and looking for suitable detolfs as I hate dust and more so, dusting. Ikea seems to have the most affordable but like the two I have at home now they fill up too quickly.

griffin
7th March 2015, 03:48 PM
We haven't had a good season for snow this year, been warmer than usual and intermittent snow falls but there's enough to get by.

Did all those snow storms in the north-eastern states of the US not have visas to cross the border... :p ...as they've been having record snow right up to the Canadian border, so it is surprising to hear of a warmer than usual winter north of that.

Jetfire in the sky
7th March 2015, 08:32 PM
Banff is west Griff :)

griffin
7th March 2015, 10:59 PM
Western Canada then... well that spoils the joke.

WolfenBaz
8th March 2015, 04:09 AM
Did all those snow storms in the north-eastern states of the US not have visas to cross the border... :p ...as they've been having record snow right up to the Canadian border, so it is surprising to hear of a warmer than usual winter north of that.

Yeah that silly cold weather got stopped at the border trying to smuggle that legal weed they sell in the states now... ;)

Banff is west Griff :)

That is is :D

Western Canada then... well that spoils the joke.

Hahaha, well my gf's family live in Ottawa and they were getting temps around -37 to -40ish whilst we were a nice -5 or so :P PEI further east had snow drifts up to their second story roofs, people had to dig out of their front door and excavate their vehicles haha.

PROVOST
9th March 2015, 10:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5xTYkAp.jpg

Hursticon
16th March 2015, 01:14 AM
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/6.gif

Greetings and Welcome to OZformers! :D
Glad you've decided to join us. :cool:

Any pics of your collection? - Whack 'em here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=48) if you haven't already (Or when you can) as we LOVE to see the collections of others. ;):)

Though I imagine they might be a whiles off given how many you've amassed, over how long and how long it's going to take you to get through it all let alone photograph each one! :p

Still, I look forward to a photo at least of the room where all of this is being stored, that's gotta be a sight to see! :D

WolfenBaz
16th March 2015, 05:38 AM
Greetings and Welcome to OZformers! :D
Glad you've decided to join us. :cool:

Any pics of your collection? -

Though I imagine they might be a whiles off given how many you've amassed, over how long and how long it's going to take you to get through it all let alone photograph each one! :p

Still, I look forward to a photo at least of the room where all of this is being stored, that's gotta be a sight to see! :D

Cheers, I have some old pics of what I had before and from the two weeks I was home in 2012, but will wait until I get back before I upload any. I think I have around 16 MPs to play with (3 I have here in Canada) and many many boxes of joes and some Lego and SW Black stuff but I will take a pic of everything before I open it all. I'll probably get buyer's remorse all over again seeing everything amassed haha.

I'll have to take a pic of the gf's face too when I l have it all piled up. Maybe a .gif showing her disapproval :P

liegeprime
14th July 2015, 08:55 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Othercollectibles061-1-1.jpg (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/liegeprime/media/Othercollectibles061-1-1.jpg.html)

cool name!:cool: