PDA

View Full Version : PC Games

blackie
4th September 2008, 11:38 AM
im bored (on mid semester break) and i want to get a few new games to play on my PC. my comp runs SWBF2 really well if thats any indication of the hardware. so can anyone recomend some games for me to get this arvo? im mainly into fps' and rts' but im open to anything new :)

MV75
4th September 2008, 12:19 PM
Warhammer dark crusade.

But look for the pack with the three of them:

WH Dawn of war
WH Dawn of war winter assult
WH dawn of war dark crusade.

kup
4th September 2008, 12:26 PM
I used to be a huge PC gamer but the recent emphasis on strictly online games such as the battlefield titles have put me off as I don't like online games.

However if you are looking for high quality Single Player games I would recommend the following:

- Crysis
- Orange Box (good variety there with Team Fortress if you are into that stuff)
- Bio Shock
- Oblivion ( a bit of yesterday's news now but the best game released in the past 6 years IMO)
- Dawn of War

I am the Grumpy old gamer type who thinks that game play quality has largely decreased in the past decade while only graphics and sound has improved while the focus on online skirmish games is too high. So my advice in games is not as mainstream as it once would have been and it shows as many of the games mentioned are somewhat old by industry standards.

Hereticpoo
4th September 2008, 12:30 PM
Warhammer dark crusade.

WH Dawn of war
WH dawn of war dark crusade.

This is me challenging you to a Warhammer 40k duel, good sir! We should get an OTCA Multiplayer match organised. I hate getting owned by the 'pro's' online. :)

i_amtrunks
4th September 2008, 12:50 PM
Spore gets released in a few days time. Could be an excellent way to pass the time.

TheDirtyDigger
4th September 2008, 12:53 PM
This is me challenging you to a Warhammer 40k duel, good sir! We should get an OTCA Multiplayer match organised. I hate getting owned by the 'pro's' online. :)

I'll be in that! Great game. I'm a Space Marine noob though. (My usual army are my custom pink-armoured warriors named the Girly-Boys)
Just can't bring myself to play with any of those disgusting heretics and aliens.

The Emperor protects!

autobreadticon
4th September 2008, 01:17 PM
D-D-DOTA

blackie
4th September 2008, 01:41 PM
ahh ive got dow and winter assult, although im not sure i can play them online, cause im using a cracked version i think cause i lost my original cd somewhere in my room :P
guna do a sweep of eastland this arvo and look for something :)
and i would so be up for a DOW multiplayer match :)

MV75
4th September 2008, 02:25 PM

I would, but the only game I play online is diablo2. :)

And yea, I play nothing but space marines too. Sometines the tau. But space marines rock. I enjoy filling the space elves (eldar), with heavy bolter rounds. :D The terminator squad is my favorite unit.

Also, stalker clear sky is due soon too I think.

I'm really waiting for GTA4 in Nov though. And there is also warhammer DOW 2.......

http://www.dawnofwar2.com/au/home

Can't wait to squish me some bugs under the tracks of my land raider. :)

I used to be a huge PC gamer but the recent emphasis on strictly online games such as the battlefield titles have put me off as I don't like online games.

However if you are looking for high quality Single Player games I would recommend the following:

- Crysis
- Orange Box (good variety there with Team Fortress if you are into that stuff)
- Bio Shock
- Oblivion ( a bit of yesterday's news now but the best game released in the past 6 years IMO)
- Dawn of War

I am the Grumpy old gamer type who thinks that game play quality has largely decreased in the past decade while only graphics and sound has improved while the focus on online skirmish games is too high. So my advice in games is not as mainstream as it once would have been and it shows as many of the games mentioned are somewhat old by industry standards.

You're more new school than me. :) I've no interest in crysis or bio shock. :D Then again, I am the guy with roughly 100GB+ of MAME on my computer.....

But yea, I'm only interested in games that do have a good single player element. If they don't (like only practice or skirmish type stuff like battlefield has), I just skip them altogether.

blackie
4th September 2008, 02:30 PM
Then again, I am the guy with roughly 100GB+ of MAME on my computer.....

wow fair effort, so is your computer possibly encassed in an old arcade machine case? i know if i had the time id make one for myself :P

thanks for the advice guys, going shopping real soon :)

MV75
4th September 2008, 02:44 PM
Nah not yet. One day I'd like to build myself a cabinet though. :)

I still gotta catch up on the cube quest CHD too. I've got about 2GB of it so far, 8GB to go. Those laser discs held a crapload for sure, about 35GB of RAW data. :D

k.wong23
4th September 2008, 02:58 PM
D-D-DOTA

Quoted for emphasis!

But i stopped after it wasted 2 years of my life.

piratescratch
4th September 2008, 03:03 PM

- Orange Box (good variety there with Team Fortress if you are into that

Oh yes. Orange Box is fantastic value for money.

To be honest I bought it for Team Fortress 2 alone. Such a solid online multiplayer FPS and Valve have been doing a fantastic job supporting this game with new maps, weapons and unlockables. To this day (I picked it up on the Australian street release date, sometime last October) I still haven't touched anything from Orange Box besides Team Fortress 2. I really should play Half-Life 2's and Portal ...

kup
4th September 2008, 03:13 PM
Oh yes. Orange Box is fantastic value for money.

To be honest I bought it for Team Fortress 2 alone. Such a solid online multiplayer FPS and Valve have been doing a fantastic job supporting this game with new maps, weapons and unlockables. To this day (I picked it up on the Australian street release date, sometime last October) I still haven't touched anything from Orange Box besides Team Fortress 2. I really should play Half-Life 2's and Portal ...

I bought a legit copy of Orange Box through Ebay for $45 inc Shipping. I now refuse to pay the obscene local new release game prices when other countries such as the US can get them for half that amount.

You need to play Portal, I am in love with that game and my only disappointment was that it wasn't longer. Its the most innovative game in a decade and its simple but involving story is superb. Its one of those atmosphere games that absorves you in the story and makes you feel as if you are 'there' and touches the right notes like a good movie. I haven't experienced that feeling in a game since the 90s.

I am still sad about my companion cube and was devastated when they were sold out and Ebay prices are too crazy.

jacksplatt11
4th September 2008, 05:30 PM
i highly recommend getting the valve complete pack off steam, $100 for everything they've put out.. loved portal, but as others have found its quite short... just finished half life 2, currently playing hl2: episode 1.. im not really a fan of online games like dota and wow etc, just because i dont like to spend so much time playing... i rather play deathmatch games like ut2004 or of course, cs, where you can play for 30 mins then leave..

also total annihilation is still a great rts even if it is over 10 years old..

Soundwarp
4th September 2008, 05:32 PM
Mass Effect
The Witcher
"Warhammer dark crusade.

WH Dawn of war
WH dawn of war dark crusade."

MV75
4th September 2008, 05:40 PM
We all like warhammer. Awesome. :)

Pulse
4th September 2008, 06:39 PM
For a long time, I was obsessed with Age of Mythology & those types of games until after a while, cheats/codes take away the slow-build factor...

autobreadticon
4th September 2008, 06:47 PM
Quoted for emphasis!

But i stopped after it wasted 2 years of my life.

haha same ,its the only casual game i play

Tober
4th September 2008, 07:16 PM
I have high hopes for Operation Flashpoint. trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36084.html)

Loking forward to STALKER Clear Sky too.

I kinda enjoyed Warhammer DoW but didn't really get into it.

UT2004 was the last game I was really into, and UT2003 before it. UT3... :(

kup
4th September 2008, 07:54 PM
I have high hopes for Operation Flashpoint. trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36084.html)

Loking forward to STALKER Clear Sky too.

I kinda enjoyed Warhammer DoW but didn't really get into it.

UT2004 was the last game I was really into, and UT2003 before it. UT3... :(

I enjoyed the first game the most due to the better single player campaign and story telling. Winter Assault was also good.

I like Dark Crusade but I am disappointed that it has a rather poor Single player campaign which doesn't really have a story. Its basically multiplayer but with a computer opponent.

It looks like Soulstorm will follow the same type of Single Player campaign as Dark Crusade and as a result I will not be buying it.

The_Damned
4th September 2008, 08:01 PM
command and conquer 3 tiberium wars is pretty awesome or battlefield 2.
cant wait fer october and red alert 3

kup
4th September 2008, 08:04 PM
command and conquer 3 tiberium wars is pretty awesome or battlefield 2.
cant wait fer october and red alert 3

We could always have a C&C3 game. That is the only game I have that I am yet to try in multi-player.

The_Damned
4th September 2008, 08:12 PM
if any one is interested in c&c give me a yell and we will play online if you dare, yea that means you to Kup..:)

MV75
4th September 2008, 08:13 PM
Yea, soulstorm is like that. It has a few different things though, you fight across 4 planets, and the sisters of battle get the forward base, the space marines are left with deep strike instead. But it's great for the capture and hold missions. Plus everyone gets flying units. Their only advantage is that they can fly over terrain, but yea, anything can shoot them down easily.

I also found that the imperial guard was really really out of control in soulstorm. There was a mission there that I had no option but to cheat with. It was as though the computer was given the ability of 0 second builds and infinity units. It was that bad that even giving myself unlimited units and instant builds, they were still pushing me back. The only way I won was using invulnerability. I don't know if that was a glitch though, as there was another mission against them and they pushed me back, but when I reloaded and tried the same one again, they wern't as agressive for some reason. But it was only against the imperial guard that that happened. The mission to take their HQ was fine though.

And yes, I had the pleasure of destroying the eldar and the dark eldar. :D

EDIT: Oh yea guys, as I said before, I only multiplay diablo2 over the net. :)

Now D3 is a game I can't wait for. :)

kup
4th September 2008, 08:30 PM
if any one is interested in c&c give me a yell and we will play online if you dare, yea that means you to Kup..:)

Sure, I will probably need to update though.

Saintly
4th September 2008, 09:30 PM
i like the idea of starting up our own multiplayer group :)

C&C and old-skool starcraft :P

kup
4th September 2008, 09:44 PM
i like the idea of starting up our own multiplayer group :)

C&C and old-skool starcraft :P

Yeah that's a cool idea and I also love playing Star Craft. Is one of those games that I must have finished its single player campaign 100x. Its also one of the few games which I often played Multi-Player.

Bartrim
5th September 2008, 12:02 PM
I just checked out some of these games yesterday at EB games. Man is my wife going to be pissed when I get my next bonus:p

TheDirtyDigger
5th September 2008, 12:31 PM
Had my first DoW: DC battle in about a year last night online.

Was a 3v3 on Kasyr Lutien and my team kicked arse with me kicking the least amount of arse but still holding up my end with diversionary attacks and drawing the enemy out.

We were a combined team of 2 Space Marine armies and a Chaos army against Space Marines/Tau/Necrons. Great fun!:)

blackie
5th September 2008, 05:24 PM
ok since i have no life apparently.. whos up for some DOW tonight, i just went out and bought the 4pack, cause i lost my original 2 disks

loophole
5th September 2008, 05:36 PM
DOW is practically the only game i play now used to play table top 40k but the pc game is just easier:D Go Eldar!!!!!!!

kup
5th September 2008, 06:34 PM
DOW is practically the only game i play now used to play table top 40k but the pc game is just easier:D Go Eldar!!!!!!!

I am for the GREATER GOOD!

THAT WAS A JOKE HAHA FAT CHANCE!

MV75
5th September 2008, 06:54 PM

SPACE MARINES, ADVANCE! FOR THE EMPEROR!

loophole
5th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Space Marines = BORING!!! im really against marines mainly due to the fact that they have been made to be too good and that every 10 y.o. brat always plays them just for the fact that they win so easily, at least with table top playing anyway. They are also very generic for the lack of the better word all they have is there base marines and the only real differences they have is oooh look at that he has a heavy bolter and dont get me started with terminators hey look they have a 2+ save hmmmm.... thats not good enough so we will give them a 4+ invulnerable save as well!!!!!

MV75
5th September 2008, 10:07 PM
Oh please. Eldar are the most generic, predictable and boring race ever. Space elves indeed. They're the biggest cliche ever concieved from everything elven. :D They need a plasma bolt up their arses to knock them from their high horses. :D

I should mention though, I really loathe micro management. Space marines are perfect. :)

loophole
5th September 2008, 10:16 PM
so what if there up themselves at least there interesting with different aspect warriors that do different things and then youve got the avatar who is pure awseomeness, warlocks etc

TheDirtyDigger
5th September 2008, 10:21 PM
Gotta admit that the Land Raider is lacking a little in the outstanding feature department but the Grey Knights from the Ordo Malleus are cool and the Commander's Orbital Bombardment rocks the house.

One of the minuses of the game in my opinion though is the lack of a truly MASSIVE army.

Had a long game tonight. Me and two other Aussies against two Italians and a Kiwi. Battle swung back and forth in Bloodshed Alley (one of my favourite maps) but eventually we dominated. We were Space Marines and Orks against other Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Eldar.

loophole
5th September 2008, 10:49 PM
my brother has a mod for DOW so that you can basically have an entire chapter if you want its crazy!!

TheDirtyDigger
5th September 2008, 11:49 PM
my brother has a mod for DOW so that you can basically have an entire chapter if you want its crazy!!

Sounds cool. Be good if everyone had it so it was played on multiplayer.

Tonight Nemesis Prime was my nemesis. Wasn't as bad as the time Optimus Prime kept killing me...

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3074/14558963za4.png (http://imageshack.us)

Lord_Zed
6th September 2008, 03:13 AM
Space Marines = BORING!!! im really against marines mainly due to the fact that they have been made to be too good and that every 10 y.o. brat always plays them just for the fact that they win so easily, at least with table top playing anyway. They are also very generic for the lack of the better word all they have is there base marines and the only real differences they have is oooh look at that he has a heavy bolter and dont get me started with terminators hey look they have a 2+ save hmmmm.... thats not good enough so we will give them a 4+ invulnerable save as well!!!!!

I don't think Marines were ever to good..(yet). Reliable and straightforward yes, but various other denziens of the 40k galaxy are capable of kicking there power armoured butts. the Tyranids and the Dark Eldar for instance. They certainly are prolific though which is a pain, but as they account for over 50% of GW sales I can hardly see this changing any time soon.

Anyways in the tabletop world the Spacemarines get more variety next month with thier umpteenth codex, perhaps we'll learn the reason why they never had variety is that variety WOULD make them too good.

Perhaps because I am a wargammer I just can't get into the whole DOW multiplayer thing, while I have the game and the first expansion and played it all the way through. Multiplayer RTS are just to much about unit spamming for me. I sure do love those DOW finishing move animations though.:D

Anyways everyone know ORKSES is da bestest!

MV75
13th September 2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54596

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine trailer

Soundwarp
13th September 2008, 08:51 PM

OMG dude, that looks so damm sweet!
I hope it's not all online stuff.

MV75
13th September 2008, 08:57 PM
Oh yea, very gory. I like the head stomp at the end. :D And yea, I hope there's single play too.

I also hope that they allow weapon upgrades. Power swords/fists would be cool too.

autobreadticon
13th September 2008, 09:00 PM
there is only 1 game that will rock your socks

http://www.miniclip.com/games/heli-attack-3/en/

Soundwarp
13th September 2008, 09:10 PM
I had fun on that!

jacksplatt11
13th September 2008, 09:14 PM

looks awesome, except those "cinimax" moments or whatever they are look like they could be very repetitive and annoying, i mean i like the idea, but perhaps it would be better left for boss fights, as it could get annoying every time you kill anything.. that's just what i think though

Soundwarp
14th September 2008, 08:31 AM
You might be able to turn the frequency down like you can in the NBA games......

jacksplatt11
14th September 2008, 01:30 PM
yeah i assume there would be some kind of option..

Hereticpoo
15th September 2008, 05:55 PM

OMG! I have been waiting sooo long for someone to do a good SM game. I would seriously consider buying a new pc or console for this.

roller
15th September 2008, 09:45 PM
Games i recommend for you mr

1. Blood , its old but fun, you get kicked out of a cult and then go on a shooting rampage to get revenge and resurrect your dead girlfriend. You fight zombies and creatures in towns, trains and in many other environments.

2. Mafia, its a few years old but hell fun. Set in the 1920's to the 1950s you are a gangster in organised crime. Great game if you like fast cars. Very detailed graphics and pretty much every sterotypical gangster voice from Goodfellas and the Godfather.

3.Duke Nukem Planet of the babes, sooooo fun

4. Battlefield 1942, original and the best

5. Lemmings

6. Sink or Swim

The_Damned
16th September 2008, 07:25 PM
got hold of spore the other day and am finding it quite entertaining.

Golden Phoenix
16th September 2008, 08:55 PM
got hold of spore the other day and am finding it quite entertaining.

Oh god I'm addicted to this game. I don't like how you can only have 1 account though. Means I have to share with my Brother <_<

Anyone else made it to the centre Core? Rather surprising. As much of a pain in the backside as it is to get there (damn Gnox!) it is well worth it.

Say hi to Steve for me!

Soundwarp
17th September 2008, 06:26 AM
Core.....

Never heard of it.

The_Damned
17th September 2008, 06:25 PM
Oh god I'm addicted to this game. I don't like how you can only have 1 account though. Means I have to share with my Brother <_<

Anyone else made it to the centre Core? Rather surprising. As much of a pain in the backside as it is to get there (damn Gnox!) it is well worth it.

Say hi to Steve for me!

is that got to do with the online part?

Golden Phoenix
17th September 2008, 10:05 PM
The core is the centre of the Galaxy spore is in. You can get there when you are in the Space Stage

King Atlas
17th September 2008, 11:35 PM
I dont think this is on pc but I just played Starwars: The Force Unleashed on PS3 at my friends house and I was not impressed. The enemies are not varied at all so far, the puzzles are so simple and so obvious, the cut scenes are ugly and most characters have short hair or in a knot so they dont have 2 come up with extra attention
to detail.
The graphics were not bad but not too impressive.Ive only played two levels but just wanted to share my opinion. And the hair thing I know may not bother alot of people but I just really gets to me!! It's not a bad game, but dissapointing. Never know though, the rest of the game could be good....Fantastic physics as it promised.

Golden Phoenix
17th September 2008, 11:51 PM
It's not a bad game, but dissapointing.

You kinda get that when the hype is so grand. I think it just ruins some games because they promise so much.

Tober
22nd September 2008, 02:11 AM
This isn't a PC gme but I thought I'd throw it in here anyway seeing as I don't think there is a console thread (yet :P).

Armoured Core: 4 Answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2khLx5WAid0)

The intro looks nice anyway.

Saintly
22nd September 2008, 10:39 AM
The AC4 intro does look nice... I'm relunctant to play the AC series because of fear that the gameplay would be nothing like the intro or the graphics

MV75
22nd September 2008, 12:54 PM
This isn't a PC gme but I thought I'd throw it in here anyway seeing as I don't think there is a console thread (yet :P).

Armoured Core: 4 Answer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2khLx5WAid0)

The intro looks nice anyway.

Well, make a thread then and get that console stuff outta here. :p

hotaru_oz
23rd September 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm not really much of a PC gamer anymore, my pc is on the brink of death.
I mainly just play World of Warcraft now, I used to play diablo I & II, Baldur's Gate, Comand and Conquer and F.E.A.R.

jacksplatt11
27th September 2008, 01:05 AM
yesterday i downloaded a free game off steam, trackmania nations forever.. apparently its a demo of trackmania nations united, or something like that.. for a free game, its got a lot of stuff, and the graphics and gameplay are awesome.. its racing, but not like most other racing games, its hard to explain so just check out vids of it on youtube, but i highly recommend it