PDA

View Full Version : TF: The Movie - 30th Anniversary

Verno
8th March 2015, 03:30 PM
The Transformers franchise has probably never been stronger than it is right now, and it owes that to the strong list of characters that have featured in the three decades of storytelling that turn up, year-in-year-out, in new guises and universes, to do battle for the fate of Cybertron (and often the Earth, too). But the vast majority of these household names originated in Generation 1.

Next year will mark the 30th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie -- an event that will no doubt be celebrated by Hasbro in some fashion, most likely through the release of toys. But will they be new toys?

Who do you feel, of the TF:TM cast, needs a Generations overhaul?

CoRDS
8th March 2015, 04:01 PM
MP UNICRON (lol)

actually i would love an MP galvatron, and MP kup

BigTransformerTrev
8th March 2015, 04:17 PM
So many of the cast already have a CHUG toy. In my own collection I have:

Optimus
Sunstreaker
Ironhide
Jazz
Cliffjumper
Bumblebee
Ultra Magnus
Blurr
Springer
Arcee
Kup
Hot Rod(imus)
Perceptor
Wreck-Gar
Junkheap(Junkion)
Grimlock
Metroplex (well, we see Slammer)
Wheelie
Wheeljack
Prowl
Brawn
Hound
Blaster
Rewind
Eject
Ramhorn
Steeljaw

Megatron
Starscream
Shockwave
Soundwave
Astrotrain
Blitzwing
Dirge
Ramjet
Thrust
Skywarp
Thundercracker
Kickback
Bombshell
Shrapnel
Reflector
Laserbeak
Ratbat
Ravage
Rumble
Frenzy
Galvatron
Scourge
Cyclonus

I'm sure there are other characters that I have forgotten that have a Generations toy that others will point out.

So who does that leave? Not many. We are even already getting the Constructicons and Huffer this year. So off the top of my head:
Unicron
Gnaw
Ratchet
Swoop
Slag
Snarl
Sludge
Rodimus Prime
Quintesson Judge
Quintesson Prosector

I know there was a Japanese version of Ratchet but it's so expensive I'd like to see a general release. I'd also like to see Wheelie and Reflector done properly. And like everyone I'd love to see some G1 based Dinobots :)

Bidoofdude
8th March 2015, 06:29 PM
Titan. Unicron. Give us a teeny Galvatron to go inside him as well, so he can face of against the new Rodimus.

Give us some deluxe sharkticons. We need an army builder. Maybe a Quintesson judge as well. I wouldn't mind if a Quintesson was just a one step changer that converted into one of those shuttles or something. It would be a cool looking transformation.

I know there was a Japanese version of Ratchet but it's so expensive I'd like to see a general release. I'd also like to see Wheelie and Reflector done properly. And like everyone I'd love to see some G1 based Dinobots :)

Universe Ratchet was a thing... There's a version in the Autobot Warriors Generations 3 pack as well, in more toony colours.

CBratron
8th March 2015, 06:43 PM
I'm happy with my Generations Unicron. Yes, it's a repaint of Armada Unicron and would probably be classified as an exclusive but he's still in Generations packaging and looks fantastic.

I'm still hunting around for that Impossible Toys Quintesson Judge.

BigTransformerTrev
8th March 2015, 09:13 PM
Universe Ratchet was a thing... There's a version in the Autobot Warriors Generations 3 pack as well, in more toony colours.

Was that the recolour of X-Brawn? Forgot about him. Also forgot the HFTD Ratchet that is movie based but G1 coloured (which is stupid for me to forget since I own him MOSC :o). Would love to see a western general release of one that looks like G1 Ratchet though

tinyJazz
8th March 2015, 09:35 PM
I reckon we'll see 30th Anniversary bluray/DVDs of the movie. Maybe another Fanbuilt bot? Haha :D
Apart from that, I don't think we'll see any new toys, just repaints.

Was that the recolour of X-Brawn? Forgot about him. Also forgot the HFTD Ratchet that is movie based but G1 coloured (which is stupid for me to forget since I own him MOSC :o). Would love to see a western general release of one that looks like G1 Ratchet though

There was a western release: Hasbro Universe Ratchet (http://www.tfu.info/2009/Autobot/TFURatchet/ratchet.htm). It wasn't released in Aus, but I think someone spotted them at an airport in New Zealand.

Verno
8th March 2015, 10:32 PM
The reason I ask is that 2016 is also the Beast Wars 20th Anniversary, so I want to know what could possibly stand in the way of me and more new Generations Beast Wars toys.

The way I see it, 2016 will be about Beasts, from G1 to Beast Wars. Combiner Wars will give us a Predaking, we'll then get a set of Generations G1 Dinobots, and then some more Beast Wars!

Defcon
8th March 2015, 10:35 PM
My picks would be,

-New deluxes of Kup, and Blurr with Cybertronian vehicle modes
-Takara could do a 2nd run for Arcee.
-Leader versions of Galvatron and Rodimus Prime
- Legends Gnaw
- Legends Wheelie
-Exclusive set of Legends Sharkticons, also including a variety of non-transformable Quintesson mini figures.
-Masterpiece Blaster
-Masterpiece Perceptor
-Masterpiece Galvatron
-Masterpiece Cyclonus

Defcon
8th March 2015, 10:41 PM
The reason I ask is that 2016 is also the Beast Wars 20th Anniversary, so I want to know what could possibly stand in the way of me and more new Generations Beast Wars toys.

The way I see it, 2016 will be about Beasts, from G1 to Beast Wars. Combiner Wars will give us a Predaking, we'll then get a set of Generations G1 Dinobots, and then some more Beast Wars!

Ah yeah good point. Im pretty sure they will find room for both a Beast Wars anniversary and G1 Movie. There really isn't to much to cover for the movie as far as classics releases would go anyway.

Bidoofdude
8th March 2015, 10:44 PM
My picks would be,

-New deluxes of Kup, and Blurr with Cybertronian vehicle modes
-Takara could do a 2nd run for Arcee.
-Leader versions of Galvatron and Rodimus Prime
- Legends Gnaw
- Legends Wheelie
-Exclusive set of Legends Sharkticons, also including a variety of non-transformable Quintesson mini figures.
-Masterpiece Blaster
-Masterpiece Perceptor
-Masterpiece Galvatron
-Masterpiece Cyclonus

I'd say Blurr really is in need of a new toy. For anyone who doesn't like the IDW style or the lack of G1 accuracy, it kind of sucks to be them. I'd appreciate a toy with as accurate an alt mode as Arcee, with a pretty good robot mode.

Legends Wheelie would be cool too, if they did it as cartoon-accurate as say Powerglide.

I'd prefer my Sharkticons to be deluxes though. It would be more expensive, but they weren't exactly small dudes.

GoktimusPrime
8th March 2015, 11:39 PM
As others have said, almost all of the TF:TM characters have been made into modern figures, be they Armadaverse, Classicsverse, MP etc. There's very few TFs from The Movie that haven't been realised as a modern toy in some form... it's pretty much just Gnaw and the rest of the Dinobots. Quintessons, Alligatorcons, Lithonians etc. are non-Transformers, but as far as the Transformers are concerned, almost all of them exist now as modern toys.

Defcon
9th March 2015, 07:19 AM
I'd say Blurr really is in need of a new toy. For anyone who doesn't like the IDW style or the lack of G1 accuracy, it kind of sucks to be them. I'd appreciate a toy with as accurate an alt mode as Arcee, with a pretty good robot mode.

Legends Wheelie would be cool too, if they did it as cartoon-accurate as say Powerglide.

I'd prefer my Sharkticons to be deluxes though. It would be more expensive, but they weren't exactly small dudes.
Yeah I mentioned Blurr and Kup exactly for that reason, as their style just doesn't match G1 Accuracy. As kids my brothers actually received these as gifts. Because they were introduced in the movie, I feel its pretty important they get them re done closer to the original source.
With Gnaw I would prefer deluxe as well, but I put down Legends for a couple of reasons. Mainly because there was a rumour, he was to be released as a Legend figure.

5FDP
9th March 2015, 09:53 AM
Sharkticons / Quintessons. That is all.

Verno
9th March 2015, 10:13 AM
This is all excellent news. You G1 fans have already been satiated with previous toys, leaving the path clear for more Beast Wars figures! :cool:

BigTransformerTrev
9th March 2015, 10:40 AM
This is all excellent news. You G1 fans have already been satiated with previous toys, leaving the path clear for more Beast Wars figures! :cool:

Nope! No. Nup. Na. No freakin way! I/we will be satiated when they give us...

...Generations Sixshot, Quickswitch, Dogfight, Backstreet, Override, The Technobots, The Predacons, The Terrorcons, Bludgeon, all the Throttlebots, Highbrow, Crankcase, Windsweeper, Ruckus, Battletrap, Flywheels, The Seacons, Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, the remaining Dinobots, Gnaw, Fastlane, Cloudraker, Getaway, Hubcap, Mainframe, The Predators, Broadside, Six-Gun....

... well you get the idea ;)

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2015, 11:05 AM
To be honest, I'd rather see them continue to focus on G1 with Classicsverse, because G1 toys are in more desperate need of Classicsverse updates than BW. The only Classicsverse Beast Era toys that I own are:
* Generations Waspinator
* Generations Rhinox
* Generations Tankor
...and IMHO neither of those toys are - in relative terms - substantial improvements over their original counterparts. Rhinox is the best of the lot, but he's also more than double the cost of the original Deluxe figure; so in relative terms (re: size, price), I still think that Deluxe Rhinox is about as good as the Voyager. With Waspinator, the Generations toy is better in some aspects (e.g. able to stand in beast mode, cool wing gimmick), but the original is also better in others (e.g. more realistically looking beast mode which has no gaps, robot hands are better concealed). And I think that the original Mega Tankor and even the Basic Tank Drone toys are better than the Generations figure. The Generations toy visually looks nice in terms of show-likeness, particularly the robot mode, but in terms of being fun toys, the BM versions are better IMHO (e.g. spinning buzz saws, moving eyeball and movable turret on Mega, spinning cannon gimmick on the Basic [which is more show-accurate than the Generations figure IMO]). I don't own Rattrap nor have I seen one IRL, so I cannot comment about that toy. Universe Cheetor and Dinobot were both rather poor toys, and I felt that neither of those improved over the originals. They have done much better with Generations, I will say that.

Rhinox is the only figure that I've encountered so far which I felt was a definitive improvement over the original. And I think that this is a credit to the original Beast Wars toys, which were so well made that they really haven't dated as badly as G1 figures. A lot of toy design/engineering standards today sprang from the late G2 ( I don't think that Reveal the Shield Optimus Prime is really much better or worse than G2 Laser Optimus Prime) and Beast Wars era. IMO the original Terrorsaur mould still massively beats down Age of Extinction Deluxe Strafe, despite being a smaller and much cheaper Basic figure! And it was a one-step changer which completely outclasses the one-step changers that we have today!

G1 toys were much more restricted by the design limitations of the 1980s and early 90s, whereas Beast Wars came along and gave us a toy design 'Renaissance' which forever changed the way that Transformers toys were engineered. Classicsverse is essentially giving us G1 toys with what is really, Beast Wars-descendent engineering. :)

Verno
9th March 2015, 11:14 AM
Nope! No. Nup. Na. No freakin way! I/we will be satiated when they give us...

...Generations Sixshot, Quickswitch, Dogfight, Backstreet, Override, The Technobots, The Predacons, The Terrorcons, Bludgeon, all the Throttlebots, Highbrow, Crankcase, Windsweeper, Ruckus, Battletrap, Flywheels, The Seacons, Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, Trypticon, Omega Supreme, the remaining Dinobots, Gnaw, Fastlane, Cloudraker, Getaway, Hubcap, Mainframe, The Predators, Broadside, Six-Gun....

... well you get the idea ;)

Haha! I meant in relation to the G1 Movie.

Verno
9th March 2015, 11:25 AM
To be honest, I'd rather see them continue to focus on G1 with Classicsverse, because G1 toys are in more desperate need of Classicsverse updates than BW. The only Classicsverse Beast Era toys that I own are:
* Generations Waspinator
* Generations Rhinox
* Generations Tankor
...and IMHO neither of those toys are - in relative terms - substantial improvements over their original counterparts. Rhinox is the best of the lot, but he's also more than double the cost of the original Deluxe figure; so in relative terms (re: size, price), I still think that Deluxe Rhinox is about as good as the Voyager. With Waspinator, the Generations toy is better in some aspects (e.g. able to stand in beast mode, cool wing gimmick), but the original is also better in others (e.g. more realistically looking beast mode which has no gaps, robot hands are better concealed). And I think that the original Mega Tankor and even the Basic Tank Drone toys are better than the Generations figure. The Generations toy visually looks nice in terms of show-likeness, particularly the robot mode, but in terms of being fun toys, the BM versions are better IMHO (e.g. spinning buzz saws, moving eyeball and movable turret on Mega, spinning cannon gimmick on the Basic [which is more show-accurate than the Generations figure IMO]). I don't own Rattrap nor have I seen one IRL, so I cannot comment about that toy. Universe Cheetor and Dinobot were both rather poor toys, and I felt that neither of those improved over the originals. They have done much better with Generations, I will say that.

Rhinox is the only figure that I've encountered so far which I felt was a definitive improvement over the original. And I think that this is a credit to the original Beast Wars toys, which were so well made that they really haven't dated as badly as G1 figures. A lot of toy design/engineering standards today sprang from the late G2 ( I don't think that Reveal the Shield Optimus Prime is really much better or worse than G2 Laser Optimus Prime) and Beast Wars era. IMO the original Terrorsaur mould still massively beats down Age of Extinction Deluxe Strafe, despite being a smaller and much cheaper Basic figure! And it was a one-step changer which completely outclasses the one-step changers that we have today!

G1 toys were much more restricted by the design limitations of the 1980s and early 90s, whereas Beast Wars came along and gave us a toy design 'Renaissance' which forever changed the way that Transformers toys were engineered. Classicsverse is essentially giving us G1 toys with what is really, Beast Wars-descendent engineering. :)

I can highly recommend Generations Rattrap. He's a delight. :)

I think the word that best describes Generations Waspinator (in relation to the original toy) is sleeker. He's by no means perfect, as I think he could have done away with the wing gimmick, or had the option to lock the wings in the outward position, but I feel he's still an improvement on the original -- though I certainly understand you're point of view.

There's no doubt the Generations line will, for the most part, continue to focus on G1 toys, and I'm not asking for that to change. But the line's name is Generations, not Generation. This is why I think a few Beast Wars characters will slip into the mix again in the future.

The Transmetals and Transmetal 2's don't need to be redone -- they're perfectly fine and rival the toys being produced today. But it would be nice to see the eventual recreation of the 14 Season 1 figures. We're 3 down (Rattrap, Rhinox and Waspinator), leaving 11 to go (Cheetor and Dinobot both need another going over as the Henkei/Classics molds were not up to par).

I'm not asking for all 11 in one hit. Give us a chunk of them next year, then one or two every so often after that. I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

CBratron
9th March 2015, 12:02 PM
I still think the toys and IDW comics will continue to be closely aligned. Yes, the ongoing comics are an extension of G1 but they've incorporated parts of other continuities. You might get other appearances by BW characters.

Zommael
9th March 2015, 12:21 PM
Hasbro should embrace the controversy and make the theme next year be Movie vs Beast Wars. Beast mode versions of some movie characters, updates of more BW characters that need it, and a storyline involving time travel and a plot to assassinate Rodimus before he ever becomes Prime...

Defcon
9th March 2015, 12:21 PM
Just using this quote again :) I just think this line up would be to good to be true :p the reasoning is sound, merchandising all the beasts together, but it just sounds like to much for one year! If next year combiner wars brings us Computron, and the fan built combiner and maybe even Bruticus as well, the line up is going to be pretty full already. My guess is Hasbro will utilize Platinum sets to reissue some beast wars figures.

Verno
9th March 2015, 12:45 PM
I still think the toys and IDW comics will continue to be closely aligned. Yes, the ongoing comics are an extension of G1 but they've incorporated parts of other continuities. You might get other appearances by BW characters.

Just using this quote again :) I just think this line up would be to good to be true :p the reasoning is sound, merchandising all the beasts together, but it just sounds like to much for one year! If next year combiner wars brings us Computron, and the fan built combiner and maybe even Bruticus as well, the line up is going to be pretty full already. My guess is Hasbro will utilize Platinum sets to reissue some beast wars figures.

My reasoning for the focus on Beasts in 2016 actually extends from the IDW Comics. They recently included the 13 as the original progenitors of the TF race, including Onyx Prime, the Beast Prime. The current storyline centres around the Enigma of Combination, a device created by Nexus Prime, who was allied with Onyx Prime in the little war thing the 13 had. So it's not hard to think that Onyx or his legacy might get drawn into future storytelling.

All speculation of course, but it's fun to do.

griffin
9th March 2015, 02:24 PM
If Beast Wars is going to be a significant element to next year's toyline, IDW would already know about it, as they would have mapped out the next year of storyline to sow the seeds of it... so that it doesn't just suddenly happen and be disjointed from the rest of the story universe (like AHM).
But I think that IDW won't be allowed to get too far ahead with their lead in to a Beast element of their story, as it would give away whatever Hasbro has planned for their marketing of Beast toys or 2016 toyline. (like Metroplex and Combiners in previous years)

MayzaPrime
9th March 2015, 02:42 PM
Hasbro should embrace the controversy and make the theme next year be Movie vs Beast Wars. Beast mode versions of some movie characters, updates of more BW characters that need it, and a storyline involving time travel and a plot to assassinate Rodimus before he ever becomes Prime...

That would be an awesome story line, with Rattrap and Waspinator being sucked into the future to preserve the timeline :D

Verno
9th March 2015, 04:25 PM
If Beast Wars is going to be a significant element to next year's toyline, IDW would already know about it, as they would have mapped out the next year of storyline to sow the seeds of it... so that it doesn't just suddenly happen and be disjointed from the rest of the story universe (like AHM).
But I think that IDW won't be allowed to get too far ahead with their lead in to a Beast element of their story, as it would give away whatever Hasbro has planned for their marketing of Beast toys or 2016 toyline. (like Metroplex and Combiners in previous years)

The seeds are perhaps already there: Rhinox's albeit brief cameo RID #38 was all about Onyx Prime.

Just to clarify: I'm not wanting to see a Beast Wars-like event in the IDW G1 universe. I'd like to see more BW characters used in the IDW G1 universe (a la Rattrap, Rhinox and Waspinator) because it means they would most likely get a new toy version:P

BigTransformerTrev
9th March 2015, 08:49 PM

I think this has actually been one of the strengths of the IDW'verse that they have not been afraid to incorporate characters from other continuities. We've had several from Beast Wars, Tankorr from Beast Machines, Hot Shot from Armada, Dreadwing from G2, Gigatron (Megs) from the old RID, Lockdown from Animated etc etc. This has opened up new potential storylines as well as scope for new Generations toys that can be advertised via the comics medium. And in cases like Sky Byte its worked on both levels :)

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2015, 10:39 PM
Actually, there is one Beast Wars character that I'd really love to see a Generations toy done of... Blackarachnia. The original toy is nice, and I have the Takara version which features more show-like colours, but let's face it -- at the end of the day, she's just a repaint of Tarantulas. :o I'd be neat to see them try and make a more show-accurate Blackarachnia figure. If they can do it for Arcee, I'm sure they can do it for Blackarachnia. :) I also wouldn't mind seeing a Generations Terrorsaur.

Verno
10th March 2015, 08:48 AM
Actually, there is one Beast Wars character that I'd really love to see a Generations toy done of... Blackarachnia. The original toy is nice, and I have the Takara version which features more show-like colours, but let's face it -- at the end of the day, she's just a repaint of Tarantulas. :o I'd be neat to see them try and make a more show-accurate Blackarachnia figure. If they can do it for Arcee, I'm sure they can do it for Blackarachnia. :)

She would be my #1 pick, too.

Handsprime
10th March 2015, 09:18 AM
Hopefully another reissue of unicorn, but this time have an australian release. I always wanted both unicron and primus, they are just so expensive :eek:

Zommael
10th March 2015, 02:33 PM
That would be an awesome story line, with Rattrap and Waspinator being sucked into the future to preserve the timeline :D

I might write it up as a creative thing. I'm thinking Unicron from the future grabs hold of BW Megatron post-BM, and upgrades him into Galvatron instead, then sends him back in time...

Hursticon
15th March 2015, 10:15 PM
She would be my #1 pick, too.

Ditto, give me a Tarantulas too! :D

Tying Combiner Wars & a nod to the Beast Wars 30th Anniversary could surely work really; You've got all the Beastial G1 bots/cons who're combiners, you've got Tripredacus/Tripledacus & Magnaboss/II from Beast Wars - Hell, I think Magmatron could be a really interesting story element & player too! :eek:

I don't want to get my hopes up though, at least a modern BW Megatron - Surely everyone would be up for that Voyager toy, wouldn't they? :o
(The answer is: "Yeeeess" :cool:)

BigTransformerTrev
28th March 2015, 12:12 AM
I've got a 20th Anniversay cd of the soundtrack, as well as 3 different versions of the movie on DVD and one on blu-ray (sad fragger I am :o).

I reckon we might see the movie and soundtrack re-released again for the upcoming anniversary, as well as some of the posters.

UltimateGalvatron
28th March 2015, 02:57 PM
I want more Armada/Energon/Cybertron characters in IDW releases. Maybe a rerelease of Primus, but mainly I'm talking about Hot Shot, Red Alert etc

BigTransformerTrev
15th June 2015, 08:39 PM
I am thinking with it being an anniversary and after pondering all the opinions of other fans that it would be fitting to have our very first official QUINTESSONS. Really any new character molds of ones done and ones never attempted but it would be great to actually see the Dinobots voyager size and of course Unicron. The focus is always in general on the fact it can transform, but I would personally like to see a MOTU style Unicron head upper torso playset that accommodates figurines in a micro machines type line as we will always have transformers that transform.
Just a wild fantasy in which I see has potential taking into consideration the amount of times movie is re-released:rolleyes:

We did have an official Alpha Quintesson toy - but na, no G1 based ones