PDA

View Full Version : What makes you an MISB / MOSC Collector?

ampoldj
6th April 2015, 10:48 AM
Hi just wanna know why do people keep their collection MISB or MOSC?

I started to collect TFs again by 2011 and I never opened any of them and when they started to grow in numbers I just still displayed them MISB/MOSC. My friend even told me my room looks like a TRU TF Section and asked me what is the point collecting these without opening them. Well for me I just love looking at them in-package.

I changed my preference by 2013 when I have to open up some Leaders to remove batteries. As i opened them I had some issues with most of them, loose joints, parts not painted on Takara, some electronic sounds not working, etc. from then only my deluxes remained sealed.

When I jumped to the MP band wagon late 2013 I tried to keep my Prowl again MISB paying about $70. After a few months I felt like im paying $70 just for the box if I wont open and transform it at least. So i opened it but just to find out the crappy hood paint job immediately! I though this is a masterpiece and still QC issues this obvious do exist, so from there on especially MPs I have to check and make it MIB just to make sure the items are there (hopefully no problems)

I know in toy collection sealed items will have more value in the long run but it is a great risk unable to know the condition of your item, especially with the boxed ones you don't know what is inside...

Trailer Park Ninja
6th April 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm not solely a MISB/MOSC collector but have quite a lot of figures still carded or boxed.

I still enjoy opening up a new figure to see the detail and the engineering behind the transformation then adding these to my play/display collection. So I have quite a large number of dupes because of this.

That said, I guess why I still collect MISB or MOSC is akin to collecting art. The whole ensemble consisting of packaging, cover art, synopsis and other figure lines etc on the back is a nice display piece. Obviously, this is expensive to do so I am selective with what I keep intact.

The other reason I collect this way is a bit of history to look back on the figure lines that came out and for nostalgic reasons. E.g. I have some AFA Transformers G1 and Mattel Superpowers figures which I don't want to open but is just a great memento of my childhood memories. It's so hard to find great condition loose figures that justify the asking price.

I remember all those experiences affiliated with a figure, e.g. birthday gift, getting up early to catch the Saturday morning cartoons, the improvised storylines playing out a scene etc.

There is a risk with MISB that you have a fault with a figure which can affect the value but I've never believed in collecting toys for a collectable value resale. I invest in more conventional things e.g. shares, property to make a profit, collecting figures MISB or otherwise is just a hobby I enjoy.

ampoldj
6th April 2015, 01:21 PM
I guess that is why those who can afford buys 2 of the same stuff... 1 to open and 1 remaining sealed :)

dsphatlite
6th April 2015, 01:31 PM
I like it when they have collector boxes with windows... makes it easier to be a MISB collector.

Yes if I like a figure alot I will buy two of. One to open and one to keep in box.

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2015, 01:59 PM
This thread inspired me to make this photocomic (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=466205#post466205). :D Freedom is the right of all awesome action figures. :)

drifand
6th April 2015, 02:06 PM
they are called Transformers for one reason. So it is up to you ultimately.
Opening them has its advanatgaes and disadvantages.

For example, I realise how piece of junk for over paying a piece of plastic in the mp range as they are priced highly with a premium box. On the other hand some mps are nice. MISB, you just worry about the box. <sorry for being blant, but it is just that. You only rely on others who review and what they say otherwise.

End of the day, is what you are happy with. Friends are correct in questioning, "whats the point?" Are you thinking of selling? Is it valuable?
Most of the mp have no value. If you can afford best of both worlds, yeah, that will be cool.

I only have a few MISB but they are meant to be sold. Ultimately I like to see what I bought.

ampoldj
6th April 2015, 02:13 PM
I like it when they have collector boxes with windows... makes it easier to be a MISB collector.

Yes I just hope MPs should have window and flap cover instead, at least you know how the toys looks like inside and not wondering what if TakTom or Hasbro HK mistakenly put a ROCK inside the bubble then packed in the box :p

This thread inspired me to make this photocomic (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=466205#post466205). :D Freedom is the right of all awesome action figures. :)

Nice one Gok, this is the same thing my daughter asked me "what if your toys comes to life dad?" (watched too much Toy Story and shocked Buzz Light years are not factory sealed) :D
Well this is what happens Loose toys helping the sealed ones :eek:

EDIT: drifand is right, I just recently felt happyness when I transformed my Transformers and did appreciate them more (even with the QC issues that has bugged me already for years)

Shirokaze
6th April 2015, 04:34 PM
What makes me a MISB collector? Right now its laziness :p I'll get around to them one day though....

Defcon
6th April 2015, 05:43 PM
What makes me a MISB collector? Right now its laziness :p I'll get around to them one day though....

Just had a quick laugh, yeah I can relate to that :) but I do like something just staying sealed. It actually enhances a collection to have some sealed and some open on display. The sealed toys actually remind me of a toy store, the box art and style of packaging is worth displaying. If the packaging doesn't appeal and is generic, and its not really a special release, its probably better to just open and discard the package in the bin.

High_Q
6th April 2015, 07:03 PM
My friend even told me my room looks like a TRU TF Section and asked me what is the point collecting these without opening them.

Having my room look like a TRU TF section is the point. Personally, the appeal of toy collecting is a lot more than the play pattern inherent in the toy itself. The aesthetics of the toy, its box/card art, and the nostalgia of viewing vintage/reissued sealed toys bring me greater pleasure than fiddling with them.

The_Damned
6th April 2015, 07:47 PM
if i had a dollar for every time one of these thread's come up.

It is much easier to dust a sealed figure then a loose one's , but seriously does it matter if some ones opens their toys or not every person collects in different ways and everyone needs to respect that

Trailer Park Ninja
6th April 2015, 08:41 PM
Amen, each to their own. There is no need to justify either way you choose to collect or be pushed to conform.

BigTransformerTrev
6th April 2015, 09:05 PM
Out of my 1600+ figures I've got maybe 50 or so MISB/MOSC. Probably a bit over a doZen like 20 & 25th anniversary Optimus are on purpose, the rest are movie or Universe figures I never got around to opening ;):p

Lol - thought the same thing :p

janda the red
6th April 2015, 09:26 PM
Having my room look like a TRU TF section is the point. Personally, the appeal of toy collecting is a lot more than the play pattern inherent in the toy itself. The aesthetics of the toy, its box/card art, and the nostalgia of viewing vintage/reissued sealed toys bring me greater pleasure than fiddling with them.

Man of my own heart :D Couldn't of put it better myself...

Trent
6th April 2015, 09:28 PM
I was under the assumption that "MISB collector" is just a more politically correct term for someone suffering from pittakionophobia ;)

(fear of sticky tape and other adhesive materials)

Sinnertwin
6th April 2015, 09:31 PM
i used to display all of my figures loose and then i thought to myself, if all that they're doing over on the shelf is just standing there, why not leave them in/on their cards/boxes? i don't play with my toys so why take them out? The process now is to get rid of all of my loose figures and have a sealed collection.

Mint in sealed box/card, to me anyway, is much like those of us who leave their loose figures mint on shelf -we get them home, admire them for a while, find a home for them in our cabinets and then look forward to our next purchase.

but yeah, different strokes for different folks and all of that jazz

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2015, 09:39 PM
The majority of my toys are loose. Those that I keep sealed are typically:
* Doubles - mostly gifts from people who didn't know that I already had the toy, although I will on rare occasion buy a spare to deliberately keep sealed.
* Variants of an existing mould. e.g. My Movie-verse Banzaitron is MISB, but my ROTF Bludgeon is loose etc.

IMHO there are several different types of TF collectors -- and there are probably elements of all of these types in most of us (so it's more of a spectrum), but many of us may strongly identify or gravitate more towards one type over the others. These include but are not limited to...

The Curator
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collector%20types/th_collectortype_curator.jpg
Sees toys as personal museum pieces to preserve for prosperity.

The Fiddler
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collector%20types/th_collectortype_fiddler.jpg
Likes to fiddle around with toys -- posing, transforming... but doesn't actually play with them.

The Player
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collector%20types/th_collectortype_player.jpg
"Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!"*

The Artisan
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/collector%20types/th_collectortype_artisan.jpg
Loves to customise and kitbash toys.
" Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology." ;)

I personally identify myself as a "Player." Sure, I have a few sealed toys, there are some toys that I fiddle with rather than play, and I've tried customising toys before too (not that I'm any good :p), but I most strongly identify myself as a Player. Or "Playah" if I want street cred. :p

---------------------------------
*Yes, Rollbar's kick is making laser sounds. He's that hardcore! :cool:

drifand
7th April 2015, 08:47 AM
gok sumarriesed it well.

What you do with your toys is your own decision. If I step into a house of MISB displayed, I will make a point not to disrespect the person, likewise I expect the same to whoever steps into my house.

One thing for myself, is not about keeping it sealed. I can take out my toys and place them back into the box. It helps if the box is nice looking.

But when I see a box protecting a box, its where I feel its a bit over the top, especially if it is not a 80s toy.

jazzcomp
7th April 2015, 09:47 AM
But when I see a box protecting a box, its where I feel its a bit over the top, especially if it is not a 80s toy.
AFA?

ampoldj
7th April 2015, 10:17 AM

Well i thought this has already been a topic and just cant dig deep enough the threads and I really just would like to know your thoughts. It has been bothering me for quite some time the reasons we keep our collections sealed in-package. And i just remembered that it really started as I am lazy to open them (as Shirokaze said) and even lazier to transform them from the start :p

And of course yes we are the owner and we decide what to do with our toys. But if wife says to dispose them that is a different story altogether. :D

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2015, 11:09 AM
Sealed collecting feels like a form of toy abstinence* :)

So long as people's toy collecting habits don't affect others, then it's nobody else's business. I have more issue with people whose collecting habits may arguably affect others, such as purchasing counterfeits; as it sustains/perpetuates that illicit industry. Many collectors have been deceived into parting with their hard earned money when buying counterfeits believing that they were legit toys. :( But whether a person opens their toy or not doesn't affect anyone else, so to each their own. :)

---------------------------------------
*the act of restraining oneself from indulgence; from the Latin word abstinentia meaning self-restraint or fasting.

5FDP
7th April 2015, 11:14 AM
I'm becoming less of a MISB collector these days due to running out of space. I still keep the packaging; it's just easier to store when it's folded down.

UltimateGalvatron
7th April 2015, 11:21 AM
I'm a player, but I do like to just fiddle every now and then ;)

I generally open all of my figures though.

Skullcruncher
7th April 2015, 11:24 AM
http://thumbnails107.imagebam.com/40218/76cb13402171007.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/76cb13402171007)

BruiseLee
7th April 2015, 12:04 PM
http://thumbnails107.imagebam.com/40218/76cb13402171007.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/76cb13402171007)

Yeah those MISB taco shell collectors are crazy! :p

Skullcruncher
7th April 2015, 12:06 PM

The expiry date is only guide remember. Just like ages 6 and up :D

Bidoofdude
7th April 2015, 01:01 PM
We don't want to delve into the complex issue of AFA and their legitimacy. :p

What would doing photoshoots and creative work like stop motions count as? Though I'm usually a fiddler, I seem to do this more and more often.

Skullcruncher
7th April 2015, 02:33 PM
We don't want to delve into the complex issue of AFA and their legitimacy. :p

This thread was derailed already, so why not!

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2015, 05:29 PM
That's something that I like about Takara(TOMY) packaging; it gives you the easy option to put toys back in box or on card. Also, their packaging is far less space wasting than Hasbro's. Being able to put toys back in packaging is really important for Japanese collectors, due to the frequent amount of seismic activity in Japan. Japanese collectors don't tend to have loose toys displayed like many non-JP collectors may, as even a small tremor can topple and potentially damage a lot of toys.

What would doing photoshoots and creative work like stop motions count as? Though I'm usually a fiddler, I seem to do this more and more often.
Creative fiddling. :)

UltraMarginal
9th April 2015, 05:54 PM

It's why most of my MISB collection is MISB, I buy faster than I open. I rather spend a few nights, or longer on one toy, getting used to it's design and different modes rather than opening 5 - 10 at once and not getting to know any of them particularly well.

some things I leave MISB for nostalgia/appearance. the SDCC matrix prime from a few years ago and the same year NYCC bumblebee and Arcee are still MISB, I have other versions of all the molds so I don't have the same urge to see how they transform.

you'd probably have about $10 :D

I was under the assumption that "MISB collector" is just a more politically correct term for someone suffering from pittakionophobia ;)

(fear of sticky tape and other adhesive materials)

haha, that's a good one:D

'cause $$ and I like my Tacos fresh.

haha

I'd say definitely the creative side of things, though I find myself posing my toys for photos more regularly and don't feel particularly creative about it, so maybe in that respect I'm more of a fiddler.