PDA

View Full Version : LEGO Dimensions

DELTAprime
10th April 2015, 12:15 AM
Lego is releasing a "toys to life" game this September (probably October for us) on all the major game consoles. For those that don't know about "toys to life" it's a type of video game that comes with a NFC reader in the form of "portal" that you put actual toys with a NFC chip in it on and the toy shows up in the video game. Lego will be selling special sets to use with the game and the portal. It's $99 USD, $40 more than Skylanders or Disney Infinity.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/dimensions

VERT
10th April 2015, 12:28 AM
Yeah it does sound interesting. My daughter did some product testing for this a few months ago. She said you build lego sets. Put them on the portal and can play them in the game. She is 9 so did not get much info from her sadly.

i_amtrunks
10th April 2015, 11:20 AM
Pricing will be key, Skylanders was a huge success but as we have all seen recently the shelves are full of figures that no one wants or can afford or both. Disney infinity flooded the shelves as well but the demand was not met. (Now the same with the inferior Mario Party versions of the Amiibo)

Hopefully the lego brand will be strong enough to not suffer the same fate as Skylanders and Infinity. Hopefully the gameplay will be good enough to bring people back and the models available will be strong enough on their own to also sell to those with no interest in the game.

Game itself should be good, especially if travellers tales are involved, I have enjoyed every lego game they have made (only not played Hobbit, as it only runs through the first two movies!)

Golden Phoenix
10th April 2015, 11:32 AM
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jimmey-11/random/legodimension.jpg

Krayt
10th April 2015, 11:41 AM
EB Orders are up (https://ebgames.com.au/featured/lego-dimensions)

170 for the "game"
50 for Level pack
40 for Team pack
25 for Character "fun" Pack

Gutsman Heavy
10th April 2015, 02:07 PM
For $170 I really hope it breaks the standard lego gameplay template.

Handsprime
10th April 2015, 02:57 PM
Apparently you can build the portal, and because it's lego you can do whatever the flipping flop you want

CBratron
10th April 2015, 03:50 PM
The key parts to it's videogame interactivity seem to be the RFID minifig bases and the scanner plate of the portal. Everything else is lego flavored window dressing.

Bidoofdude
10th April 2015, 06:00 PM
Are they regular minifigs on platforms? I hope they can be taken off. Could this be Lego's way of selling licensed minifigures while avoiding problems?

DELTAprime
10th April 2015, 07:38 PM
So last night when this hit aside from being tired I was like "F*** it's only Warner brands". But I did notice this morning they said more franchises to come. As someone that collects the Marvel Lego sets I hope Disney gets onboard with this, after all Warner, Lego and Disney are collaborating already on the Lego Avengers game coming out later this year.

kangle4
11th April 2015, 03:05 PM
Are they regular minifigs on platforms? I hope they can be taken off. Could this be Lego's way of selling licensed minifigures while avoiding problems?

The official Facebook page said the figures can be taken off.

I'm not interested in the game but I'll grab some of the fun packs just for the figures.

Sam
11th April 2015, 03:30 PM
At least the figures can be removed .... :)

Does anyone know if they use the same type of "App bricks" as found in the Ultra Agents sets to make these work?

DELTAprime
11th April 2015, 10:30 PM
At least the figures can be removed .... :)

Does anyone know if they use the same type of "App bricks" as found in the Ultra Agents sets to make these work?

I'm not familiar with the Ultra Agents sets beyond what Brickipedia says but I'd guess no. Game console toys to life products use NFC or Near Field Communications. A NFC chip, like the one in your credit card with PayPass is embedded in the toy, it is read and written to by the portal which is a NFC reader/writer. Since the iPhone currently has no NFC capacity beyond Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus there is no way Lego could be using NFC in their Ultra Agents app.

DELTAprime
15th May 2015, 09:26 PM
I just took a look at the price of the Lego Dimensions add-on sets, I guess I've been ignoring the price. They seem super expensive for whats included compared to normal Lego sets.

I wonder if the sets for Dimensions will go on sale for half price like Disney Infinity and Skylanders figures and sets. That might be the only way I get most of these sets because of how much they cost and how few bricks are included.

https://ebgames.com.au/ps3-208272-LEGO-Dimensions-Level-Pack---Back-to-the-Future-PlayStation-3

i_amtrunks
15th May 2015, 09:58 PM
Seriously hoping those prices are place holders. $15 is too much for the Infinity figures and from the number of them and skylanders that clog the shelves, most people seem to agree.

$50 for a few tiny add-on models and $170 for the starter pack will make them uncompetitive from the get go.

BruiseLee
15th May 2015, 10:15 PM
Agree that the pricing was a bit of a shocker. At $170 I thought it was a dedicated console like device.

Omega Supreme
4th June 2015, 08:46 AM
Cool idea but as others have mentioned the pricing is a bit over the top, $24.95 to pre-order some of the add on packs, no thank you. Lego is expensive enough as it is.

ComicGuy89
4th June 2015, 10:14 AM
They're all very expensive.

The Fun Packs I could see myself spending on, even if I think they could be priced lower to compete with Amiibos, Disney Infinity and Skylanders. I suppose, if that's the only way to get Portal I might just bite.

The Level and Team Packs are overpriced. Far too much money for them, if I wanted the minifigs it would be better to buy the actual sets they're in for the price.

The Starter Pack is just too expensive. I hope these are placeholder prices.

DELTAprime
16th June 2015, 04:25 AM
Seeing some gameplay from E3 on youtube.com/e3 I don't see any value in buying the extra packs. From what they said you can play the Portal level without buying the Portal set cause it's just part of the campaign.

DELTAprime
29th September 2015, 11:22 AM
Anyone pick up the game yesterday? I'm kinda tempted at Big W's price of $119. Still think the add-on packs are stupidly over priced.

1AZRAEL1
29th September 2015, 12:02 PM
Anyone pick up the game yesterday? I'm kinda tempted at Big W's price of $119. Still think the add-on packs are stupidly over priced.

Stupidly overpriced is an understatement. When I looked up the price of all the packs on EB games website, worked out to be around $1500 all up. Who would pay that kinda money for a game? Someone worked out $1370 from other stores. It's beyond a joke how much much it works out to be

Handsprime
29th September 2015, 12:06 PM

I'm tempted to buy it, but I wanna use my game money on the new Tony Hawk on Thursday.

Stupidly overpriced is an understatement. When I looked up the price of all the packs on EB games website, worked out to be around $1500 all up. Who would pay that kinda money for a game? Someone worked out $1370 from other stores. It's beyond a joke how much much it works out to be

Sure it's expensive, but at least I'm not a sucker into buying every set. Maybe the Simpson's and Doctor who sets, but most certainly not every set.

i_amtrunks
29th September 2015, 04:10 PM
I used a gift card to purchase the starter set, the Simpsons and portal sets.

It's a fun lego game but I do not like that 3/4 of the game content on disc is locked behind paywalls. It's the way of the futue and the lego figures are a nice much more interactive and play le toy than disney or skylanders, but considering you got more or less than the same content from a stand alone $60 game like lego jurassic park or Lord of the he Rings.

You do not have to buy every pack, but certain characters have particular abilities which are not well notified or listed, so you could ty to only get one figure from each genre, and still not be able to get all the gold bricks as you may be missing abilities. More tansparency would've been nice from release.

loophole
29th September 2015, 05:26 PM
Looked at all the sets today for this, I do have a question do you actually have to rebuild the vehicles and gadgets to use the different attributes in game?

i_amtrunks
29th September 2015, 06:19 PM
Looked at all the sets today for this, I do have a question do you actually have to rebuild the vehicles and gadgets to use the different attributes in game?

Not at all, but then what's the fun in that?:D

Trent
29th September 2015, 07:40 PM
Went to pick up the Homer pack today until I saw the price. $38 at Target :eek: can't say I'll bite with those prices.

Oh and I read on Twitter that you don't get the instructions with the sets. The instructions are in the game. Not a huge deal but mildly annoying if you weren't planning on buying the game, just a few sets.

i_amtrunks
29th September 2015, 10:40 PM
Went to pick up the Homer pack today until I saw the price. $38 at Target :eek: can't say I'll bite with those prices.

Oh and I read on Twitter that you don't get the instructions with the sets. The instructions are in the game. Not a huge deal but mildly annoying if you weren't planning on buying the game, just a few sets.

Also available online through the dimensions website soon(if not already).

A big oversight and very un-Lego like. They should always include paper instructions.

DELTAprime
30th September 2015, 07:10 AM

A big oversight and very un-Lego like. They should always include paper instructions.

That's not cool. My kitchen table is a much better place to build Lego than in front of my TV.

Golden Phoenix
30th September 2015, 03:41 PM

Yeah this kind of threw me a bit. I was expecting to get them for the mini-builds, especially because you do get physical instructions for the portal too. I wanted to build the models first and then play.

I had to reverse engineer the builds. It was kind of fun, but took longer than I wanted.

millhouse
30th September 2015, 05:17 PM
Bought the PS4 Starter Pack and the Back to the Future Level Pack.

The Simpsons Level Pack and the DC Wonder Woman & Cyborg figure packs are on layby. :)

Very much only going to get the builds I want but really need to sink some time into the game when I get a chance.

UltraMarginal
2nd October 2015, 01:47 PM

have you added up the cost of all the Disney infinity add ons? I have not but I think you might be surprised at the total between Infinity 1, 2 and 3, not to mention all the skylanders that are on the market these days.

It's the most ingenious way of monetizing a game I've ever seen.

Golden Phoenix
2nd October 2015, 02:33 PM
have you added up the cost of all the Disney infinity add ons? I have not but I think you might be surprised at the total between Infinity 1, 2 and 3, not to mention all the skylanders that are on the market these days.

It's the most ingenious way of monetizing a game I've ever seen.

Fair point. I'm pretty sure Disney Infinity sell individual figures for like $15-20 a pop. You get a vehicle and character for $20 with Lego Dimensions.

Handsprime
2nd October 2015, 04:49 PM
<cough>amiibo</cough>

BruiseLee
25th November 2015, 05:12 PM
For those looking to get into this, Kmart will be having the Starter Pack on sale as of the 26th Nov - till 9th Dec for $99. This is the lowest price it has been in Australia.

Gutsman Heavy
1st January 2016, 03:58 PM
I got this with the Simpsons and Jurassic sets as a surprise from the GF for xmas, pretty gud, but those prices man. Luckily I don't bother with 100%

That voice cast though, it's no wonder they are nickel and dime-ing this. Must have been very expensive to make.

Wheelie
2nd January 2016, 12:43 AM
I got this for Xmas, and also picked up the dr who add on, it's brilliant!

kup
6th January 2016, 09:28 AM
I like some of the themes they have like Portal, Back To the Future, etc but I can't justify the huge price point of $50-$60 for simple lego sets that basically scan like Ammibos that only cost $15.

Edit: I started to watch the Youtube trailers and I am afraid that it is tempting me...:(

Krayt
6th January 2016, 07:04 PM
You don't need to buy them....

Having an actual figure gives you access to their "world" to explore. A level pack gives you more to the basic game.

But as you play, when you come to an obstacle for someone for wave 1, you can "hire" the required character to get past that... Provided the next wave has been released... (So you still can't get into the ghost busters parts yet)

i_amtrunks
6th January 2016, 08:43 PM
You rack up studs quickly enough (but you only get a x2 multiplier is this game) so you can get most things now.

I've stopped for the moment as I don't see the point in doing the few levels I need three or four times as I am waiting on the ghostbusters sets.
Then I can finish it off.

Great game, just wish it wasn't so expensive.