PDA

View Full Version : Richie Benaud passes

BigTransformerTrev
10th April 2015, 11:07 PM
Good old Richie Benaud passed away today:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/tributes-flow-for-legendary-richie-benaud/6383852

Bloke has a good innings, but sadly as seems to happen so much, an old legend has been taken away by cancer :(

I'm not a big sports bloke, but have always taken an interest in the International Cricket. There are certain people who are an institution in a field and for Aussie Cricket Richie was definitely the star (especially since Big Merv decided to do reality TV - even if it was for charity :rolleyes:). I have no doubt that Aussie and indeed those abroad that are cricket enthusiasts feel much today like the Trekkies that lost Leaonard Nimoy not that long ago.

As a comedy fan, I loved BB's interpretation of Richie in The 12th Man. I remember an interview where they asked Richie what he thought of it and he said that he liked it, though he thought there was too much swearing :p. Now we've lost Tony Grieg and Richie I doubt we will be getting a cricket-theamed 12th Man CD again :(

Thanks for being.. well... being you Richie. You were a proper legend mate :)

Deonasis
11th April 2015, 12:12 AM
RIP Ritchie, myself and entire generations of cricket enthusiasts grew up listening to you each summer. Not many sports commentators reach a height where the sport actually needs that particular caller each season but without a doubt cricket needed Ritchie.

i_amtrunks
11th April 2015, 08:58 AM
It hasn't been the same watching the cricket without Richie is the commentary box the last couple of years and it will never be the same again.

Decent cricketer too.

Trent
11th April 2015, 01:42 PM
The man was a star. Great cricketer, great captain, great commentator and if all the reports are to be believed, a true gentlemen. It's a shame :(

griffin
11th April 2015, 03:32 PM
He looked so good on the Australia Day (Lamb) commercials, after spending several months off recovering from the car accident last year. I was listening out for him during the recent world cup and was wondering where he was. :(

Bartrim
12th April 2015, 10:57 PM
It hasn't been the same watching the cricket without Richie is the commentary box the last couple of years and it will never be the same again.

Decent cricketer too.

The man was a star. Great cricketer, great captain, great commentator and if all the reports are to be believed, a true gentlemen. It's a shame :(

Yup.... My sentiments exactly.:(

CBratron
13th April 2015, 01:59 PM
Even when you're not a cricket fan he was the undisputed voice of Aussie summer. Things won'tever be the same.

Hursticon
13th April 2015, 10:44 PM
Put simply... The man was marvellous. :(

Trent
14th April 2015, 06:48 AM
Put simply... The man was marvellous. :(

That's M-A-R, V-E-L-L, O-U-S!

:cool: