PDA

View Full Version : Name Silverbolt's Shield!

GoktimusPrime
14th April 2015, 11:35 PM
PLEASE VOTE SERIOUSLY

For those who may not know, Combiner Wars Silverbolt has a shield. It can either attach to his arm, or connect to his rifle. See image links below:
http://i.imgur.com/MjtNNoS.jpg
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/3/8/6/3/Transformers-Combiner-Wars-Voyager-Silverbolt-Robot_1416041938.jpg

Here's how it works:
For the next 24 hours, people may submit suggestions for a shield name.
At 23:35 EST tomorrow night, suggestions will be collected and a poll will be created.
By the end of TONIGHT (i.e. 23:35 Thu 16/4), the name with the most votes will be the winner.

Huzzah!

--------------------------

My suggestion: Argentum Fulguris <--- Latin for "silver bolt."
I'm sure others can come up with better suggestions. Suggest away! :D

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th April 2015, 08:00 AM
I bet it ends up as "Skyboom Shield". :p :rolleyes:

Handsprime
15th April 2015, 08:00 AM
I'll call it the Aérospatiale shield, a reference to the company that owned the Concorde, which is what Silverbolt transformers into.

GoktimusPrime
15th April 2015, 09:57 AM
I bet it ends up as "Skyboom Shield". :p :rolleyes:
^I like this ;)

UltraMarginal
15th April 2015, 09:59 AM
I'll call it the Aérospatiale shield, a reference to the company that owned the Concorde, which is what Silverbolt transformers into.

Nice!

UltimateGalvatron
15th April 2015, 10:51 AM
I think we should call it Stalwart Shield. It's the name of one of Daenerys unsullied in the Game of Thrones books

philby
15th April 2015, 02:06 PM
Huperakron

Silverbolt's slightly ironic fear of heights is well known. During one of the many battles in the Great War, a build up of this fear led to Silverbolt breaking off during a strafing run with his fellow Aerialbots and subsequently being shot down. Disorientated after impact, his assailant moved in for the kill however his shot was deflected at the last instant by an unknown bot wielding a shield. This gave Silverbolt the moment he needed to recover, fire back and kill the Decepticon.

The unknown bot, face and features shrouded by make-shift scrap metal armour and camouflage cloaks, paused to hand him the shield before hurrying off to the next fire fight. "Here, take this shield. Looks like you need it more than me." he said, looking back over his shoulder. Unsure if it was a trick of the light from the setting sun or a side affect of his crash, Silverbolt thought there seemed to be a calming glow around the outline of the mysterious bot, before he disappeared. Placing the shield over his forearm he felt instantly relaxed, and his anxieties leaving him. The scratches, dents and blast marks indicated it had seen many battles. Who knows how many times it had saved it's previous owner?

Standing up to get back into the fight with renewed courage, Silverbolt looked around one last time. Not seeing anyone in any direction he shrugged his shoulders and took off, meeting the rest of the Aerialbots in the sky. From that moment on, Silverbolt found that whenever he wore the shield he was able to forget his fears and move beyond them, not letting them hold him back in his duty to the Autobot cause.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th April 2015, 02:39 PM
Concordian blaster

Or Hylian shield.

"The shield that protects fore-arms"

Zommael
15th April 2015, 02:51 PM
Helios Shield (sun shield).

Superion, the combiner which Silverbolt forms the core of, is named for a partial latinisation of the Greek Titan Hyperion. Hyperion fathered Helios, the sun, among other celestial bodies, so drawing the link between the largest component of the combiner and the celestial body around which others orbit seems appropriate.

Praise the sun!

Sinnertwin
15th April 2015, 05:21 PM
Bob.

Bartrim
15th April 2015, 05:35 PM
Bob.

Got my vote. :D

SMHFConvoy
15th April 2015, 08:37 PM
Bob.
What, no last name?

Handsprime
15th April 2015, 08:55 PM
What, no last name?

His last name will be silvot

crankcase76
15th April 2015, 08:59 PM
Bob.

LoL. :)

Deonasis
15th April 2015, 11:28 PM
The "Protect me from Latin" shield.

GoktimusPrime
15th April 2015, 11:38 PM
Poll has been added.

PLEASE VOTE SERIOUSLY as the selection will be FINALISED at 23:35 tomorrow night.

P.S.:

I think we should call it Stalwart Shield. It's the name of one of Daenerys unsullied in the Game of Thrones books
I just realised that I forgot to add this as a poll option, and I cannot edit the poll. If anyone would like to vote for this option, please post a reply on this thread (or PM me if you would like your vote to remain anonymous). Apologise, UltimateGalvatron.

UltimateGalvatron
16th April 2015, 08:01 AM
Poll has been added.

PLEASE VOTE SERIOUSLY as the selection will be FINALISED at 23:35 tomorrow night.

P.S.:

I just realised that I forgot to add this as a poll option, and I cannot edit the poll. If anyone would like to vote for this option, please post a reply on this thread (or PM me if you would like your vote to remain anonymous). Apologise, UltimateGalvatron.

Its fine I voted Skyboom Shield anyway

Paulbot
16th April 2015, 08:32 AM
I would call it a Latrodectus Shield but missed my chance to get that one on the ballot.

griffin
16th April 2015, 10:50 AM
Why does it need a name?
When did it become necessary for Bots to start naming their accessories like pet names for people's privates... it's a bit like Beast Wars introducing vocal commands to transform. This is just a gimmick that comes from Japan and Hasbro only does it on some occasions as a nod to the Japanese gimmick or as an easter egg to fans who might recognise the names.
Where is the voting option to have no name... because I'm one who doesn't like it because it is usually a lame or forced inclusion that is more often cringe-worthy or out of place.

Deonasis
16th April 2015, 11:01 AM
Nice one ;)

"Servo Mihi Ex Linguam Latinum" <- I was working on something like this myself but Google Translate did not assist me make a phrase that translated back to English well. :(

Deonasis
16th April 2015, 11:06 AM
Why does it need a name?
When did it become necessary for Bots to start naming their accessories like pet names for people's privates... it's a bit like Beast Wars introducing vocal commands to transform. This is just a gimmick that comes from Japan and Hasbro only does it on some occasions as a nod to the Japanese gimmick or as an easter egg to fans who might recognise the names.
Where is the voting option to have no name... because I'm one who doesn't like it because it is usually a lame or forced inclusion that is more often cringe-worthy or out of place.

Abstain from voting i guess? Number of visitors - number of votes = those that don't want a name.

^not quite that accurate actually.

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2015, 11:22 AM
Nobody nominated "no name" during the first round, but I suppose if anyone feels that strongly about not naming it, then just reply (or PM me if you wish to remain anonymous) with "No name" and I'll manually count that.

I'll count yours as a vote for that, griff. :)

philby
16th April 2015, 11:36 AM
can a mod change it? huperakron as a word actually maybe looks kinda lame but more closely matches the translation i was going for. maybe hyperakron looks and sounds better?

out of 7 people so far nobody voted for it anyway so it might not matter but yeah...

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2015, 11:56 AM
Nice one ;)

"Servo Mihi Ex Linguam Latinum" <- I was working on something like this myself but Google Translate did not assist me make a phrase that translated back to English well. :(
:D Yeah, don't trust Google Translate. ;)

can a mod change it? huperakron as a word actually maybe looks kinda lame but more closely matches the translation i was going for. maybe hyperakron looks and sounds better?

out of 7 people so far nobody voted for it anyway so it might not matter but yeah...
Let's cross that space bridge if it gets voted in. :) I personally prefer to remain faithful to the original translation.

Deonasis
16th April 2015, 12:29 PM
I personally prefer to remain faithful to the original translation.But not when it came to mine ;) I could no longer vote for my suggestion. No big loss, just pointing it out.

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2015, 03:00 PM
But not when it came to mine ;) I could no longer vote for my suggestion. No big loss, just pointing it out.
True. :p Although again, we can review that option if it gets voted in. :cool:

Zommael
16th April 2015, 03:12 PM
Despite my own suggestion, I actually voted for Skyboom Shield. It's obviously the best name. Although I gave my actual Skyboom Shield to Silver Knight Optimus Prime so that Grimlock could keep his shield which doesn't have a name. Gah.

liegeprime
16th April 2015, 03:52 PM
I actually prefer Bob Silvot - but better change it to B.O.B stands for Breaker of Beams (as in laser beams):D:D that way we can finally put Bob to rest and move on to either Gary or Ned when naming things :p;):D

oh and in naming things I bet Roadbuster would approve of this, yes he would. :p;)

UltraMarginal
16th April 2015, 04:38 PM
I don't quite get the naming of a shield either. maybe if it had a long and gloried history. like some of the swords in Lord of the Rings.
The name out to reflect the strengths of the shield, or it's owner.

I'm trying to come up with something that reflects his supersonic alt mode, shockwave, compression wave, sonic boom, Delta (wing)... shield

it all feels a bit corny, I vote for no name.

crankcase76
16th April 2015, 06:11 PM
I thought of this for a serious name,

IronEagle shield

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2015, 06:40 PM
Okay, I've decided to collate the final results by 23:35 tonight (no point in delaying, right?) ;) People can still play the game after that time if they want though. :)

Again, I do urge people to be serious in their voting. Remember, you can nominate "NO NAME" by simply posting it in a reply or PMing me, or simply walk away from this thread if you disagree with the whole thing. Please don't potentially ruin things for everyone by deliberately casting a non-serious vote. I would urge everyone to consider what you think most fans would like, not what you would like as an individual. Like Zommael, I also voted for 'Skyboom Shield' rather than my own suggestion, because I also feel that it's the most appealing name among those nominated.

Thank you. And special thanks to everyone who's been taking this seriously; your sincerity is much appreciated. :)

philby
16th April 2015, 07:12 PM
I don't quite get the naming of a shield either. maybe if it had a long and gloried history. like some of the swords in Lord of the Rings.
The name out to reflect the strengths of the shield, or it's owner.

I'm trying to come up with something that reflects his supersonic alt mode, shockwave, compression wave, sonic boom, Delta (wing)... shield

it all feels a bit corny, I vote for no name.

i thought the same, so i tried to come up with a little story indicating a long and gloried history :p

SMHFConvoy
16th April 2015, 10:01 PM
Why does it need a name?

+1

By all means do it but don't expect me to use it ;)

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2015, 11:55 PM
Final Results

Argentum Fulguris = 0
Skyboom Shield = 6
Aérospatiale Shield = 1
Huperakron = 0
Concordian Blaster = 0
Hylian Shield = 0
Helios Shield = 0
Bob Silvot = 7
Servo Mihi Ex Linguam Latinum = 0
Stalwart Shield = 0
No name = 2
.................................................. ........
I'm going to make a call here, as I need to submit a name that will be acceptable by Hasbro, so I'm going to choose Skyboom Shield.

Thank you, everyone. :)

philby
17th April 2015, 12:05 AM
Final Results

Argentum Fulguris = 0
Skyboom Shield = 6
Aérospatiale Shield = 1
Huperakron = 0
Concordian Blaster = 0
Hylian Shield = 0
Helios Shield = 0
Bob Silvot = 7
Servo Mihi Ex Linguam Latinum = 0
Stalwart Shield = 0
No name = 2
.................................................. ........
I'm going to make a call here, as I need to submit a name that will be acceptable by Hasbro, so I'm going to choose Skyboom Shield.

Thank you, everyone. :)

http://post.sethfontana.com/archivos/kent-brockman-democracy.png

;)

griffin
17th April 2015, 12:22 AM
If it wasn't a serious option, why did you have it in the poll options?

Next time, make the judgement call beforehand and say why it needs to be a serious vote, otherwise, don't go to all this trouble and then get peoples hopes dashed.

GoktimusPrime
17th April 2015, 12:27 AM
There won't be a next time.

Deonasis
17th April 2015, 08:15 AM
How about the Silvot shield?

Handsprime
17th April 2015, 11:25 AM
How about the Silvot shield?

Now that's a name that can work

Bartrim
17th April 2015, 12:16 PM
If it was one of the more warped characters from the comics like Tailgate or a smart alec like Rotorstorm I could imagine Bob being the name of their shield. Silverbolt is too serious to name his shield Bob.

BigTransformerTrev
17th April 2015, 12:25 PM
If it was one of the more warped characters from the comics like Tailgate or a smart alec like Rotorstorm I could imagine Bob being the name of their shield. Silverbolt is too serious to name his shield Bob.

I love the name Bob - my only prob with it is it's already the name of Sunstreakers Insecticon pet. :)

Personally I would have gone for Shieldy McShielderton ;)

Bidoofdude
17th April 2015, 03:59 PM
"Silverbolt's Shield." That's a winner.

Deonasis
17th April 2015, 09:32 PM
No one is sure which legend was forged first, that of the impenetrable Silvot Shield or the heroic Autobot Silverbolt who weilds it.

Zommael
18th April 2015, 12:19 AM
Should have just made it a competition and judged the best one yourself, rather than making it a poll. Glad you picked Skyboom though, it makes the most sense, and I always like it when official sources recall less popular/well-regarded parts of the franchise like AEC (which I will admit was my introduction as a "proper" TF collector).

autobreadticon
20th April 2015, 05:12 PM
Bob Silvot, come on you guys, I thought you were taking this seriously..........

UltimateGalvatron
20th April 2015, 08:06 PM
Bob Silvot, come on you guys, I thought you were taking this seriously..........
+1

That is exactly what I was about to post!

Sinnertwin
20th April 2015, 09:22 PM

What makes you think that I was joking?