PDA

View Full Version : LG14 Ultra Magnus revealed? Includes Alpha Trion?

DELTAprime
9th May 2015, 01:02 PM
Well we might have our first look at LG14 Ultra Magnus and it looks like it includes a Alpha Trion repaint of the Minimus Ambus figure. This is unconfirmed at this point as Takara Tomy have not official released any pictures.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/takaratomy-transformers-legends-lg14-ultra-magnus-to-possibly-include-alpha-trion/32851/

griffin
9th May 2015, 01:04 PM
(beaten to it by two minutes)

A product picture for the Japanese version of Ultra Magnus (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/alpha-trion-included-with-takaratomy-ultra-magnus-182670/) has leaked from an anonymous source in Asia, so we don't know where it is from, or if it is even a legitimate image. But BWTF who posted up a copy believes it is real... and I guess from the Japanese perspective, the character of Minimus Ambus is probably not known, as it is a creation of IDW for their comics.
So if this image is true, the Japanese version of Ultra Magnus will have the mini-bot recoloured and renamed as Alpha Trion.
Apparently the face sculpting works, but I'm not sure about the alt-mode though.

FruitBuyer
9th May 2015, 01:21 PM
Oh my. Other than that BotCon 2007 exclusive, is this going to be the first official Alpha Trion toy?

DELTAprime
9th May 2015, 02:03 PM
Oh my. Other than that BotCon 2007 exclusive, is this going to be the first official Alpha Trion toy?

Theres a Kreon and EX Gokin of Alpha Trion, so this would be the 4th Alpha Trion.

I think if this is legit I might do something I normally never do and buy both the Hasbro and Takara Tomy and parts swap the red thighs on UM. Then I would have both Alpha Trion and Minimus Ambus.

FruitBuyer
9th May 2015, 02:05 PM
I meant vanilla Transformer Alpha Trion.

MayzaPrime
9th May 2015, 02:08 PM
I like the Ambus figure better, for me Alpha Trion being one of the Original 13 Primes he deserves more than a legends sized figure.

Having said that the Takara version again looks fair superior to the Hasbro version on UM.

Bidoofdude
9th May 2015, 06:49 PM
Takara:

IDW accuracy + not-Minimus Ambus= win :rolleyes:

BigTransformerTrev
9th May 2015, 08:12 PM
Would that mean that in the Japanese continuity that Ultra Magnus is really Ultra Maureen and is pregnant with Alpha Teeny? :eek:

Seriously - how do they rationalise within the genre that Alpha Trion is the fruit of Ultra Magnus' belly? :confused:

DELTAprime
9th May 2015, 09:47 PM
Takara:

IDW accuracy + not-Minimus Ambus= win :rolleyes:

What??? I never realised he has red thighs in the IDW universe. I guess not need to parts swap since it's canon, but still means I'll need a Minimus Ambus from Hasbro.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:MTMTE12_magnus_in_action.jpg

Bidoofdude
9th May 2015, 09:57 PM
What??? I never realised he has red thighs in the IDW universe. I guess not need to parts swap since it's canon, but still means I'll need a Minimus Ambus from Hasbro.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:MTMTE12_magnus_in_action.jpg

It's worth noting that such was only the case in season 1.

GoktimusPrime
9th May 2015, 10:15 PM
I can see why TakaraTOMY have made this decision, as Minimus Ambus would certainly be extremely obscure to most Japanese collectors (as it's an Anglophone continuity exclusive character/concept). Still... I'll be getting the Hasbro version myself. :)

Bidoofdude
9th May 2015, 10:49 PM
I can see why TakaraTOMY have made this decision, as Minimus Ambus would certainly be extremely obscure to most Japanese collectors (as it's an Anglophone continuity exclusive character/concept). Still... I'll be getting the Hasbro version myself. :)

So why make the paintjob IDW accurate? It's mainly cartoon, but has the red thighs of the toy/comic.

GoktimusPrime
9th May 2015, 11:27 PM
Perhaps it's a tribute for the Japanese fans who do know about IDW, and the colours are similar enough to the cartoon character that it's still identifiable for those who aren't. There are Japanese fans who are familiar with the Anglophone continuity, just as there are Anglophone fans who are familiar with Japanese continuity. But most fans on both sides would be more familiar with their own 'indigenous' continuities. :o

prjkt
10th May 2015, 02:04 AM
So why make the paintjob IDW accurate? It's mainly cartoon, but has the red thighs of the toy/comic.

Takara's classics-verse releases tend to focus more on toy accuracy than media accuracy (MP line is the opposite) so not too surprised here.

And while it's the comics that make me want this Ultra Magnus mould, the red thighs just seem a little "odd" to me, so I'll probably stick with the Hasbro version, unless Takara pulled a United class shiny paint job

Mythirax
10th May 2015, 01:56 PM
Would that mean that in the Japanese continuity that Ultra Magnus is really Ultra Maureen and is pregnant with Alpha Teeny? :eek:

Seriously - how do they rationalise within the genre that Alpha Trion is the fruit of Ultra Magnus' belly? :confused:

Hahaha, oh Trev, you amuse me :D

reillyd
10th May 2015, 02:43 PM

Okay, now you have SPOILED both versions of Magnus for me, as well as the whole Pretender concept. Thanks for nothing man ;)

Actually though, I'm going to choose to see him as the first modern Pretender Shell, rather than something sexual. I mean, who was the father then? Primus through divine conception

Trent
10th May 2015, 03:29 PM
Okay, now you have SPOILED both versions of Magnus for me, as well as the whole Pretender concept. Thanks for nothing man ;)

Actually though, I'm going to choose to see him as the first modern Pretender Shell, rather than something sexual. I mean, who was the father then? Primus through divine conception

It worked for Mary...

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2015, 05:00 PM
Keeping things out of the gutter for a moment... :rolleyes:

From a toy POV, Ultra Magnus is very much like a Mega Pretender (i.e. both the inner robot and outer robot can transform; although Mega Pretenders can combine in vehicle mode; I'm not sure if Minimus can combine w/ the Magnus Armour in vehicle mode (or if he just rides in the trailer)). From a canonical POV, Ultra Magnus is something entirely different from Pretenders. He is a load bearer, which means that unique features of Minimus' Spark allows his body to specially augmented like a Russian nesting doll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll), carrying one or more "loads" at a time. In the IDW comics, Minimus carries two loads - a larger Minimus Ambus shell, and the Magnus Armour. This toy carries a single load; the Magnus Armour.

This is also a homage to the original G1 Ultra Magnus toy who, as we all know, is a the same body type as Optimus Prime, but the trailer transforms into power armour for the cab robot. Now of course, Alpha Trion was never anything like this, but as explained, this decision was most likely done to make the Minimus toy more appealing to the general Japanese market, most of whom would have no knowledge of Minimus Ambus. I personally prefer the Hasbro version, as Minimus Ambus makes way more sense than Alpha Trion, but I can understand why TakaraTOMY made that decision for their market.

At the end of the day, if a few colours here or there really bother you... repaint it yourself? :o

Lord_Zed
10th May 2015, 07:31 PM
Doh!

I was afraid this would happen, I didn't think that Takara's Magnus would come with Minimus Ambus and now it appears true. Now I don't know what to do, I want that Minimus Ambus figure, but if this photo is accurate the Takara Magnus toys colour aps are so much nicer looking than the Hasbro version, actually worthy for a Leader class.

Theres a Kreon and EX Gokin of Alpha Trion, so this would be the 4th Alpha Trion.

I think if this is legit I might do something I normally never do and buy both the Hasbro and Takara Tomy and parts swap the red thighs on UM. Then I would have both Alpha Trion and Minimus Ambus.

A rather expensive solution for a Leader class toy, also red thighs are correct for MTMTE IDW Magnus.
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/96/MTMTE19_magnus_armor.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
10th May 2015, 07:53 PM
Hahaha, oh Trev, you amuse me :D

;)

Well if it's a Pretender Shell then it begs the question of why Alpha Trion is dressing up like Ultra Magnus? Maybe he is going to a fancy dress party:

"Hey everyone! I'm the Duly Appointed Enforcer Guy! Howdy Howdy Howdy!"

And after a few strong cubes the impressions start:

"Yes Optimus, No Optimus! Rodimus that's a bad idea! No one liked me in Season3!"

griffin
10th May 2015, 09:37 PM
Really? It's the colour of just the thighs that has people struggling to decide which one to buy. Considering how badly Hasbro have butchered the colours of toys in the past, I think "just" having the thighs be the wrong colour, is probably the best outcome we could ever get from Hasbro. :p

I just want the Alpha Trion AND Minimus, but don't want to buy a whole second Leader class toy to do it. :(

BigTransformerTrev
11th May 2015, 12:05 PM
Really? It's the colour of just the thighs that has people struggling to decide which one to buy. Considering how badly Hasbro have butchered the colours of toys in the past, I think "just" having the thighs be the wrong colour, is probably the best outcome we could ever get from Hasbro. :p

I just want the Alpha Trion AND Minimus, but don't want to buy a whole second Leader class toy to do it. :(

I'll give u $10 + postage for your spare Leader ;)

Although.... Now I'm kinda into the idea of Trion playing fancy dress as Magnus so maybe I should get it myself - could make for quite an amusing stop-motion video :p

DELTAprime
11th May 2015, 01:01 PM
;)

Well if it's a Pretender Shell then it begs the question of why Alpha Trion is dressing up like Ultra Magnus? Maybe he is going to a fancy dress party:

"Hey everyone! I'm the Duly Appointed Enforcer Guy! Howdy Howdy Howdy!"

And after a few strong cubes the impressions start:

"Yes Optimus, No Optimus! Rodimus that's a bad idea! No one liked me in Season3!"

lmao:p:D:p

Zommael
11th May 2015, 03:08 PM
The red thighs look better and Alpha Trion is a cool addition, but I won't be going out of my way to get this instead of the Hasbro version. If I happen to stumble across this version first I'll get it.

DELTAprime
14th May 2015, 09:09 AM
Looks official. We now have images from E-Hobby. http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-image-of-takaratomy-transformers-legends-lg14-ultra-magnus/32883/

I found LG14 and MP26 in HLJ's system just now, so looks like Japanese retailers are now taking preorders.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th May 2015, 02:57 PM

I'm kinda bummed about the Alpha Trion thing TBH. I would much prefer Minimus Ambus and I don't even read the comics. I do like the red thighs though. Looks nice IMO.

I have always seen AT as being kind of uninvolved in the conflict (although this is not the case) and would have preferred him to have not been a Transforming character.

Surely they could've written Minimus Ambus into the bio of Magnus somewhere for those who were unsure of who he is. It just doesn't really make sense for AT to be riding around in a Magnus shell...:(

UltraMarginal
14th May 2015, 04:09 PM
after comparing the two, the Takara version has a much better paint job for the Truck mode as well. I kind of hope this is one of the con exclusives that gets released in Australia later in the year. A higher end paint job and a Minimus ambus.

Lord_Zed
14th May 2015, 06:46 PM
Takara wins hands down in those new pics of both toys, and the recent in hand ones of CW Magnus do him no favours and make him look a bit cheap for such an expensive toy.

It's Takara Magnus for me, I'll either have to give Alpha Trion a new paint job or see if a 3rd party make their own Ambus toy for my Minimus Ambus fix.

Zommael
14th May 2015, 07:00 PM
As far as the main toy is concerned, I'm seeing a few yellow/gold paint apps and a couple of faction symbols other than the red on the legs. It doesn't help that Hasbro's photography people are so piss poor at posing the pieces for pictures (say that three times quick), but they look about equal to me. The Takara one is slightly nicer if only for the red but I can live without it. The next time I get the chance to buy toys away from Aus retail will probably be when I and my wife go on our UK trip in October, so if the Hasbro version hasn't turned up and I find the Takara version at a shop over there then I'll probably get it, but I'm not going to hunt it down on the internet or anything. I'm fine with either Minimus Ambus or Alpha Trion - I'd be regarding them as a partner character rather than the "real" Ultra Magnus anyway.

kurdt_the_goat
14th May 2015, 07:20 PM
Amazon Japan (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%88%E3%83%9F%E3%8 3%BC-%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%95%E3%8 2%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA-LG14-%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%9E%E3%8 2%B0%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B9/dp/B00XKK9PMQ) has a pic of vehicle mode too... painted rims win every time!

http://i.imgur.com/ltUkDyNl.jpg

DELTAprime
14th May 2015, 08:14 PM
I really like the darker blues on TT's Magnus'. Both this one and MP22. The baby blue on Hasbro's recent G1 Magnus is a turn off for me.

ampoldj
14th May 2015, 08:28 PM
Now this altmode is definitely a win!!!

Lord_Zed
15th May 2015, 12:10 AM
Yup, painted rims go a long way making a toy looks less toy like and cheap. Aside from that the Increased use to blue plastic in the trailer makes the truck mode look far more unified than the Hasbro version. It's long wait for me, what with the Yen still weak there's no premium for the Japanese version at the moment.

Anyway each to their own, while the Takara versions may not always have more appealing colours to everyones taste than Hasbro's, I've never seen a Japanese toy who's paint job wasn't executed better than the Hasbro version.

GoktimusPrime
15th May 2015, 12:35 AM
Anyway each to their own, while the Takara versions may not always have more appealing colours to everyones taste than Hasbro's, I've never seen a Japanese toy who's paint job wasn't executed better than the Hasbro version.
MP3 Starscream ;) I also prefer the chrome on Reveal the Shield Perceptor over the chrome-less United Perceptor. The orange paint job on United Grapple is also pretty ordinary, whereas Solar Storm Grappel's head is black plastic. I got United Grapple because I didn't want a toy named "Grappel" (I also got Henkei Octane because I didn't want the toy to be called "Tankor"; I don't actually care about the chrome :p).

But yeah, they're the exceptions rather than the norm. On the whole I agree that Takara's TFs do look gooderer than Hasbro's. ;)

UltraMarginal
15th May 2015, 01:59 PM
Amazon Japan (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%88%E3%83%9F%E3%8 3%BC-%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%83%95%E3%8 2%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC-%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA-LG14-%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB%E3%83%88%E3%83%A9%E3%83%9E%E3%8 2%B0%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B9/dp/B00XKK9PMQ) has a pic of vehicle mode too... painted rims win every time!

yup, it's the painted rims that I really like, the darker hues are better to in my opinion but Minimus Ambus comes with the Hasbro version...

ampoldj
15th May 2015, 02:15 PM
Looks official. We now have images from E-Hobby. http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-image-of-takaratomy-transformers-legends-lg14-ultra-magnus/32883/

I found LG14 and MP26 in HLJ's system just now, so looks like Japanese retailers are now taking preorders.

Takara Tomy Mall was just a bit late that the other Japanese online stores.
They also just listed MP26 Road Rage and LG14 Ultramagnus

Ultra Magnus release date: Sept 19, 2015

http://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810831730/

llamatron
15th May 2015, 02:50 PM
I got United Grapple because I didn't want a toy named "Grappel" (I also got Henkei Octane because I didn't want the toy to be called "Tankor"; I don't actually care about the chrome :p).

...you do realize that you can call the toy whatever you want, right? ;) The toy-police are unlikely to issue you with a fine. :p

Those new pictures of TT's Ultra Magnus look really nice! I would probably go for it over the Hasbro one if only it still came with Minimus...

BigTransformerTrev
15th May 2015, 03:15 PM
...you do realize that you can call the toy whatever you want, right? ;) The toy-police are unlikely to issue you with a fine. :p

Yeah I don't see much difference in moving/changing one letter in a name (Grapple/Grappel, Scattorshot/Scattershot, Breakdown/Brakedown etc). You still know who it is :)

philby
15th May 2015, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if it's lighting or the different colours or the paint additions or a combination but that TT version just looks really really fantastic compared to the Hasbro one to me. I seem hesitant to use the term but the Hasbro one does kinda look 'cheap' in comparison.

Lord_Zed
15th May 2015, 11:53 PM
MP3 Starscream ;) I also prefer the chrome on Reveal the Shield Perceptor over the chrome-less United Perceptor. The orange paint job on United Grapple is also pretty ordinary, whereas Solar Storm Grappel's head is black plastic. I got United Grapple because I didn't want a toy named "Grappel" (I also got Henkei Octane because I didn't want the toy to be called "Tankor"; I don't actually care about the chrome :p).

But yeah, they're the exceptions rather than the norm. On the whole I agree that Takara's TFs do look gooderer than Hasbro's. ;)

I have a mix of Takara and Hasbro too, and there are some toys that I like the Hasbro colour choices better, but even when that is the case like for example with Hasbro's Generations Blur vs united Blur for example where I prefer the Hasbro scheme the Japanese ones always seem to be done to a higher standard. I guess it's because the Japanese market is more picky. Much like that new Uniqlo store, the stuff they sell in the Japanese stores are way better quality than what they sell in the international stores.

kup
16th May 2015, 01:39 AM
Poor Japanese fans who like the IDW comics. The King Comics guy told me MTMTE was super popular there.

Doh!

I was afraid this would happen, I didn't think that Takara's Magnus would come with Minimus Ambus and now it appears true. Now I don't know what to do, I want that Minimus Ambus figure, but if this photo is accurate the Takara Magnus toys colour aps are so much nicer looking than the Hasbro version, actually worthy for a Leader class.

A rather expensive solution for a Leader class toy, also red thighs are correct for MTMTE IDW Magnus.
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/96/MTMTE19_magnus_armor.jpg

Maybe a 3P will release an improved version of minimus ambus. This really sucks as the Japanese Magnus looks so much better. Still, despite it all, the Japanese version wins hands down for my money.

VGMStudios
18th May 2015, 07:32 PM
Question. Since these figures are as large as MPs and we already have a MP Magnus is this one worth getting at all?

prjkt
18th May 2015, 07:52 PM
MP Magnus is much larger isn't he?

And it's a completely different design philosophy, aimed at fitting in a Classics-verse collection with the other reimagined characters, where as MP is G1 (re)done right.

tinyJazz
18th May 2015, 07:56 PM
Question. Since these figures are as large as MPs and we already have a MP Magnus is this one worth getting at all?

Well, If you only want one Magnus: go with MP for cartoon accuracy, Legends/Combiner wars if you prefer the idw comic look.

I can't really comment on articulation and such as I don't have either. I heard the MP suffers from limited shoulder movements.

VGMStudios
20th May 2015, 07:28 AM
, If you only want one Magnus: go with MP for cartoon accuracy, Legends/Combiner wars if you prefer the idw comic look.

I can't really comment on articulation and such as I don't have either. I heard the MP suffers from limited shoulder movements.

This makes more sense to me. Thank you for the explanation.
I find that the MP sufferers a lot more in movement than just the shoulders.
But it can't be helped. He is a bulky guy. ;)

ampoldj
20th May 2015, 10:08 AM
This makes more sense to me. Thank you for the explanation.
I find that the MP sufferers a lot more in movement than just the shoulders.
But it can't be helped. He is a bulky guy. ;)

The MP UM is really hard to pose especially the arms that is why some 3P are doing shoulder mods for him.

UltraMarginal
20th May 2015, 06:00 PM
the Takara UltraMagnus is up for Pre-order on Anime-Export, it works out about AU$55 plus shipping, which I expect to work out as much or slightly cheaper than getting the Hasbro version here on sale so price isn't really a factor.
I do prefer the Takara deco but really want a Minimus Ambus, the fact that there is a Minimus Ambus figure is pretty far out. I have the non-transforming Alpha Trion from last year which is my perfect Alpha Trion for the moment so have no real interest in the Takara version of the little guy.

The in-hand pictures of the Hasbro ultra Magnus that have popped up today on the global sites looks like the whites are a lot less washed out than in the promotional images so I'm liking it more, just the extra paint and colour on the Takara version make is look a lot better in my opinion.

ARRGH what to do!!??
(first world problems):o

UltraMarginal
26th May 2015, 01:04 PM
Well, I've preordered the Takara version, if anyone who ends up with the Hasbro version would be interested in swapping a minimus ambus for an Alpha Trion I'd like to talk to you.

Krayt
26th May 2015, 01:47 PM
Well, I've preordered the Takara version, if anyone who ends up with the Hasbro version would be interested in swapping a minimus ambus for an Alpha Trion I'd like to talk to you.

i'll do that!

UltraMarginal
26th May 2015, 02:36 PM
i'll do that!

deal!, I don't think I'll get my guy till September or so but you have a deal.

Krayt
26th May 2015, 04:03 PM
deal!, I don't think I'll get my guy till September or so but you have a deal.

Same in that you gotta wait for retail :-P

liegeprime
26th May 2015, 04:28 PM
sigh, the Takara version does look better..... ah well can't do anything about it now.... I have the Hasbro version waiting for me to pick up back in Phils this June. Though from pics my friend showed me of his CW UM i'm happy with just the Hasbro one. :).

griffin
19th August 2015, 08:46 PM
TFYuki has posted a somewhat disturbing image (https://twitter.com/TFYUKI/status/633847508502863872) to remind us of the release of Legends (Leader sized) Ultra Magnus in Japan next month (September 19th).

DELTAprime
19th August 2015, 08:53 PM
I take it that's a Kiss Players girl that I didn't get. I got Optimus and Rodimus from that line because they were the best versions of those moulds at the time, but the girls were unnecessary.

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th August 2015, 11:44 PM
I take it that's a Kiss Players girl that I didn't get. I got Optimus and Rodimus from that line because they were the best versions of those moulds at the time, but the girls were unnecessary.

That was Atari, I think she came with Autorooper

griffin
20th August 2015, 12:27 AM
That was Atari, I think she came with Autorooper

Yes, the small Atari came with big Autotrooper/Autorooper, while the big Atari came with the small Autotrooper. (there was also a grey big Atari... but is REALLY rare)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collections/griffinofoz/c34s3.jpg

That was one toyline (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kissplay) that I was glad to see the end of... as it gave the whole franchise a bit of a perverted feel to it, from all the girl figurines showing off their underwear, the packaging art of them in sensual poses looking like pre-teen girls, and the manga comics bordering on hentai porn with phallic tongues chasing after scared little girls (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:LegionRape1.jpg). (drawn like little pre-teen girls, but it was always claimed that they were over age... riiiight :rolleyes: not that it would make much difference if they were drawn as adults, as the assumption of our fandom by non-fans would still be of perverted single old men)
Creepy.

But good to make fun of to unfamiliar fans or friends who aren't fans. :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th August 2015, 04:37 PM
Yes, the small Atari came with big Autotrooper/Autorooper, while the big Atari came with the small Autotrooper. (there was also a grey big Atari... but is REALLY rare)

But good to make fun of to unfamiliar fans or friends who aren't fans. :p

The Black one is AtariScream I think, when Starscream possesses her for, reasons....

interestingly, I discovered through the wiki page that the main designer for the ladies also sculpts many revoltech figures, including the Queen's Blade figures. (http://myfigurecollection.net/list/3013) Thats a safe link, but be careful how much clicking you want to do...;)